Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers

Welcome to UAI Forum's One-Page-A-Day Online Study Group.

~ Today's presentation is from:

The FOREWORD of The Urantia Book, Page 12.

IX. GOD THE ULTIMATE

P.12 - §4 Just as the Supreme Being progressively evolves from the antecedent divinity endowment of the encompassed grand universe potential of energy and personality, so does God the Ultimate eventuate from the potentials of divinity residing in the transcended time-space domains of the master universe. The actualization of Ultimate Deity signalizes absonite unification of the first experiential Trinity and signifies unifying Deity expansion on the second level of creative self-realization. This constitutes the personality-power equivalent of the universe experiential-Deity actualization of Paradise absonite realities on the eventuating levels of transcended time-space values. The completion of such an experiential unfoldment is designed to afford ultimate service-destiny for all time-space creatures who have attained absonite levels through the completed realization of the Supreme Being and by the ministry of God the Sevenfold.

P.12 - §5 God the Ultimate is designative of personal Deity functioning on the divinity levels of the absonite and on the universe spheres of supertime and transcended space. The Ultimate is a supersupreme eventuation of Deity. The Supreme is the Trinity unification comprehended by finite beings; the Ultimate is the unification of the Paradise Trinity comprehended by absonite beings.

P.13 - §1 The Universal Father, through the mechanism of evolutionary Deity, is actually engaged in the stupendous and amazing act of personality focalization and power mobilization, on their respective universe meaning-levels, of the divine reality values of the finite, the absonite, and even of the absolute.

P.13 - §2 The first three and past-eternal Deities of Paradise--the Universal Father, the Eternal Son, and the Infinite Spirit--are, in the eternal future, to be personality-complemented by the experiential actualization of associate evolutionary Deities--God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and possibly God the Absolute.

P.13 - §3 God the Supreme and God the Ultimate, now evolving in the experiential universes, are not existential--not past eternals, only future eternals, time-space-conditioned and transcendental-conditioned eternals. They are Deities of supreme, ultimate, and possibly supreme-ultimate endowments, but they have experienced historic universe origins. They will never have an end, but they do have personality beginnings. They are indeed actualizations of eternal and infinite Deity potentials, but they themselves are neither unqualifiedly eternal nor infinite.

X. GOD THE ABSOLUTE

P.13 - §4 There are many features of the eternal reality of the Deity Absolute which cannot be fully explained to the time-space finite mind, but the actualization of God the Absolute would be in consequence of the unification of the second experiential Trinity, the Absolute Trinity. This would constitute the experiential realization of absolute divinity, the unification of absolute meanings on absolute levels; but we are not certain regarding the encompassment of all absolute values since we have at no time been informed that the Qualified Absolute is the equivalent of the Infinite. Superultimate destinies are involved in absolute meanings and infinite spirituality, and without both of these unachieved realities we cannot establish absolute values.

P.13 - §5 God the Absolute is the realization-attainment goal of all superabsonite beings, but the power and personality potential of the Deity Absolute transcends our concept, and we hesitate to discuss those realities which are so far removed from experiential actualization.

[Each page presented is copied from the original version of The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. If the last sentence continues on the next page, the entire sentence or concept will be included for continuity of study. Questions are welcome, as are comments related to that day's text. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD or other subforum as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

Dear Readers,

Some parts of this book are so hard to get. Probably due to my own limitations. I am glad this book is hard. One of the first things I noticed about the book was how integrated it is. From first to last.

It is a personal challenge to try to wrap my brain around an understanding of God the Ultimate, God the Absolute, and so on. A person could sit down and memorize it - the relationships and the functions of these Deities. But truthfully, when I think I understand something about these Gods, I doubt if I could tell you about it the next day.

I am so grateful and so appreciative that this book is hard to get in parts. It makes me think. It exerts my brain. There is so very much more to Creation, to the Cosmos, to the Gods, to exisiences, and all that ever was before, is now, and ever will be. It is a great comfort to me to know there is so much I do not understand, much that is far beyond my comprehension. The book, the Foreward in particular, stretches my imagination into the more of what is out there to know - the immensity of it all.

Also, it is a relief to know that I will not be sitting on a white puffy cloud strumming a harp for the rest of eternity.

Cheers,

Meredith

Dear Readers,

Some parts of this book are so hard to get. Probably due to my own limitations. I am glad this book is hard. One of the first things I noticed about the book was how integrated it is. From first to last.

It is a personal challenge to try to wrap my brain around an understanding of God the Ultimate, God the Absolute, and so on. A person could sit down and memorize it - the relationships and the functions of these Deities. But truthfully, when I think I understand something about these Gods, I doubt if I could tell you about it the next day.

I am so grateful and so appreciative that this book is hard to get in parts. It makes me think. It exerts my brain. There is so very much more to Creation, to the Cosmos, to the Gods, to exisiences, and all that ever was before, is now, and ever will be. It is a great comfort to me to know there is so much I do not understand, much that is far beyond my comprehension. The book, the Foreward in particular, stretches my imagination into the more of what is out there to know - the immensity of it all.

Also, it is a relief to know that I will not be sitting on a white puffy cloud strumming a harp for the rest of eternity.

Cheers,

Meredith

Stay with it Meredith, I know you will break through. I have reached a point that I am beginning to feel familiar with those mysterious Dieties. They tell us all about themselves to the extent that we can comprehend and if you keep attempting to create a pathway of understanding it comes. One encouraging point is that our language and culture also hold clues to understanding the Dieties and the icing on the cake is that we think, live and are created in the same pattern they lay out for us! Wrestle with it, grab on to the inkling of understanding that forms in your mind and make it clearer and clearer; those ah ha! moments will come and they are Wonderful.

As an example, I was re-reading about the Father's Worlds and the physical layout of the approach that we must take as Finaliters when I realized that we are made in the exact same pattern! Think about it! and be wowed!!

Hugs. Patti

Hi Meredith,

It is a personal challenge to try to wrap my brain around an understanding of God the Ultimate, God the Absolute, and so on.

I too have enjoyed a good stretch over this! <_ ... and while happily absolutely>

lost among all these collaborating absolutes, I noticed something wonderful:

"As far as the Universal Father is concerned--as a Father--the universes are virtually

nonexistent; he deals with personalities; he is the Father of personalities."

Before worrying too much about the (unbelievable!) energies implied in a Planck-scale ultimaton, or the (breath-taking!) mechanisms of space respiration, or the (intriguing!) question of how much the absonite might weigh, as Persons, you and I and us are uniquely qualified to accumulate insight about Personality. Now, if we forget about the vastness of space, and the deepness of time, we can make a good start by seeing all the sub-absolute mechanisms and hierarchies as aspects of the womb our Dad has set up so that we can be born--in His image--to penetrate subinfinitely into His absolute domain.

Let's not forget, His Personal reality is a family affair. ;)

Nigel

Dear Readers,

Amen to humility and awe and wonder (like how am i EVER going to understand concepts when the revelators say:we hesitate to discuss those realities which are so far removed from experiential actualization. We are in the dawn of eternity.

Our destiny finality (in this universe age) as sixth-stage spirit finaliters is complete comprhension of the finite God- God the Supreme. We are told it is possible we shall become ministers of the Finite to those outer-spacer pilgrims (coming in from the organizing star clouds of the outer space levels after the stabilization of the Grand Universe and the emergence of the Supreme Being), eventuated (a new concept) beings from the absonite (a new word) levels of reality.

We can see what the book says the ULTIMATE IS:

P.12 - §5 God the Ultimate is designative of personal Deity functioning on the divinity levels of the absonite and on the universe spheres of supertime and transcended space

P.116 - §3 God the Ultimate is the Trinity manifestation comprehended by the Transcendentalers.

The Ultimate is a qualified manifestation of the Trinity in relation to the absonite only in the sense that the Supreme thus partially represents the Trinity in relation to the finite.

P.137 - §3 The Ultimate is, or sometime will be, space present to the outer margins of the fourth space level. We doubt that the Ultimate will ever have a space presence beyond the periphery of the master universe, but within this limit the Ultimate is progressively integrating the creative organization of the potentials of the three Absolutes.

P.1160 - §1 As the Supreme is associated with finites, so the Ultimate is identified with transcendentals. But though we thus compare Supreme and Ultimate, they differ by something more than degree; the difference is also a matter of quality. The Ultimate is something more than a super-Supreme projected on the transcendental level. The Ultimate is all of that, but more: The Ultimate is an eventuation of new Deity realities, the qualification of new phases of the theretofore unqualified

P.1166 - §5 While the Trinity Ultimate is destined to co-ordinate the master creation, God the Ultimate is the transcendental power-personalization of the directionization of the entire master universe. The completed eventuation of the Ultimate implies the completion of the master creation and connotes the full emergence of this transcendental Deity

P.1167 - §2 The Ultimate is the apex of transcendental reality even as the Supreme is the capstone of evolutionary-experiential reality. And the actual emergence of these two experiential Deities lays the foundation for the second experiential Trinity. This is the Trinity Absolute, the union of God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and the unrevealed Consummator of Universe Destiny. And this Trinity has theoretical capacity to activate the Absolutes of potentiality--Deity, Universal, and Unqualified. But the completed formation of this Trinity Absolute could take place only after the completed evolution of the entire master universe, from Havona to the fourth and outermost space level.

P.1294 - §1 Concerning the several natures of Deity, it may be said:

P.1294 - §2 1. The Father is self-existent self.

P.1294 - §3 2. The Son is coexistent self.

P.1294 - §4 3. The Spirit is conjoint-existent self.

P.1294 - §5 4. The Supreme is evolutionary-experiential self.

P.1294 - §6 5. The Sevenfold is self-distributive divinity.

P.1294 - §7 6. The Ultimate is transcendental-experiential self.

P.1294 - §8 7. The Absolute is existential-experiential self.

P.1294 - §9 While God the Sevenfold is indispensable to the evolutionary attainment of the Supreme, the Supreme is also indispensable to the eventual emergence of the Ultimate. And the dual presence of the Supreme and the Ultimate constitutes the basic association of subabsolute and derived Deity, for they are interdependently complemental in the attainment of destiny. Together they constitute the experiential bridge linking the beginnings and the completions of all creative growth in the master universe.

As humans we are constantly reminded of our limitations. Our minds are time-bound and space conditioned. Our mind can partially transcend space (1439-4) yet the pre-personal fragment of infinity that indwells us is timeless. Our reach exceeds

our grasp and when our sincere and supreme effort at comprehension falls short of completion, God often sees fit to reach down and illuminate our confusion and help set us back upon our becoming heavenly path.

To ascend swiftly and safely in this wonderful universe we will long be dependent upon Faith

Thank you, my friends, for the encouragment.

Patti - I'm staying with it. Thanks for your wonderful insight about pattern.

Nigel - It does my heart good to know you have had a good stretch over this too. Thanks for remining us that it is a family affair.

Bill - Thanks for the many references to God the Ultimate. And for reminding me how dependent I am on faith to get me through.

We help each other along in the study of this book, don't we?

I hope our concerted efforts will be for the benefit of all.

Cheers,

Meredith

Thank you, my friends, for the encouragment.

Patti - I'm staying with it. Thanks for your wonderful insight about pattern.

Nigel - It does my heart good to know you have had a good stretch over this too. Thanks for reminding us that it is a family affair.

Bill - Thanks for the many references to God the Ultimate. And for reminding me how dependent I am on faith to get me through.

We help each other along in the study of this book, don't we?

I hope our concerted efforts will be for the benefit of all.

Cheers,

Meredith

When comprehension is toughest, as with parts of the Foreword, we actually need each other, eh Meredith? Thank you--for your candor, perspective and articulation.

And thanks to all OPAD readers for your participation, especially your considered questions and informed responses.

Now to the revelations on the Absolutes. Rick

Edited by Rick Warren

Welcome to UAI Forum's One-Page-A-Day Online Study Group.

[Due to the complexity of, and difficulty in comprehending, the Absolutes this two-page section from the Foreword is being presented in its entirety. If the need is indicated by your responses, extra days will be available for discussion.]

The FOREWORD of The Urantia Book. Pages 13-15

XI. THE THREE ABSOLUTES

P.13 - §6 When the combined thought of the Universal Father and the Eternal Son, functioning in the God of Action, constituted the creation of the divine and central universe, the Father followed the expression of his thought into the word of his Son and the act of their Conjoint Executive by differentiating his Havona presence from the potentials of infinity. And these undisclosed infinity potentials remain space concealed in the Unqualified Absolute and divinely enshrouded in the Deity Absolute, while these two become one in the functioning of the Universal Absolute, the unrevealed infinity-unity of the Paradise Father.

P.13 - §7 Both potency of cosmic force and potency of spirit force are in process of progressive revelation-realization as the enrichment of all reality is effected by experiential growth and through the correlation of the experiential with the existential by the Universal Absolute. By virtue of the equipoising presence of the Universal Absolute, the First Source and Center realizes extension of experiential power, enjoys identification with his evolutionary creatures, and achieves expansion of experiential Deity on the levels of Supremacy, Ultimacy, and Absoluteness.

P.14 - §1 When it is not possible fully to distinguish the Deity Absolute from the Unqualified Absolute, their supposedly combined function or co-ordinated presence is designated the action of the Universal Absolute.

P.14 - §2 1. The Deity Absolute seems to be the all-powerful activator, while the Unqualified Absolute appears to be the all-efficient mechanizer of the supremely unified and ultimately co-ordinated universe of universes, even universes upon universes, made, making, and yet to be made.

P.14 - §3 The Deity Absolute cannot, or at least does not, react to any universe situation in a subabsolute manner. Every response of this Absolute to any given situation appears to be made in terms of the welfare of the whole creation of things and beings, not only in its present state of existence, but also in view of the infinite possibilities of all future eternity.

P.14 - §4 The Deity Absolute is that potential which was segregated from total, infinite reality by the freewill choice of the Universal Father, and within which all divinity activities--existential and experiential--take place. This is the Qualified Absolute in contradistinction to the Unqualified Absolute; but the Universal Absolute is superadditive to both in the encompassment of all absolute potential.

P.14 - §5 2. The Unqualified Absolute is nonpersonal, extradivine, and undeified. The Unqualified Absolute is therefore devoid of personality, divinity, and all creator prerogatives. Neither fact nor truth, experience nor revelation, philosophy nor absonity are able to penetrate the nature and character of this Absolute without universe qualification.

P.14 - §6 Let it be made clear that the Unqualified Absolute is a positive reality pervading the grand universe and, apparently, extending with equal space presence on out into the force activities and prematerial evolutions of the staggering stretches of the space regions beyond the seven superuniverses. The Unqualified Absolute is not a mere negativism of philosophic concept predicated on the assumptions of metaphysical sophistries concerning the universality, dominance, and primacy of the unconditioned and the unqualified. The Unqualified Absolute is a positive universe overcontrol in infinity; this overcontrol is space-force unlimited but is definitely conditioned by the presence of life, mind, spirit, and personality, and is further conditioned by the will-reactions and purposeful mandates of the Paradise Trinity.

P.14 - §7 We are convinced that the Unqualified Absolute is not an undifferentiated and all-pervading influence comparable either to the pantheistic concepts of metaphysics or to the sometime ether hypothesis of science. The Unqualified Absolute is force unlimited and Deity conditioned, but we do not fully perceive the relation of this Absolute to the spirit realities of the universes.

P.14 - §8 3. The Universal Absolute, we logically deduce, was inevitable in the Universal Father's absolute freewill act of differentiating universe realities into deified and undeified--personalizable and nonpersonalizable--values. The Universal Absolute is the Deity phenomenon indicative of the resolution of the tension created by the freewill act of thus differentiating universe reality, and functions as the associative co-ordinator of these sum totals of existential potentialities.

P.15 - §1 The tension-presence of the Universal Absolute signifies the adjustment of differential between deity reality and undeified reality inherent in the separation of the dynamics of freewill divinity from the statics of unqualified infinity.

P.15 - §2 Always remember: Potential infinity is absolute and inseparable from eternity. Actual infinity in time can never be anything but partial and must therefore be nonabsolute; neither can infinity of actual personality be absolute except in unqualified Deity. And it is the differential of infinity potential in the Unqualified Absolute and the Deity Absolute that eternalizes the Universal Absolute, thereby making it cosmically possible to have material universes in space and spiritually possible to have finite personalities in time.

P.15 - §3 The finite can coexist in the cosmos along with the Infinite only because the associative presence of the Universal Absolute so perfectly equalizes the tensions between time and eternity, finity and infinity, reality potential and reality actuality, Paradise and space, man and God. Associatively the Universal Absolute constitutes the identification of the zone of progressing evolutional reality existent in the time-space, and in the transcended time-space, universes of subinfinite Deity manifestation.

P.15 - §4 The Universal Absolute is the potential of the static-dynamic Deity functionally realizable on time-eternity levels as finite-absolute values and as possible of experiential-existential approach. This incomprehensible aspect of Deity may be static, potential, and associative but is not experientially creative or evolutional as concerns the intelligent personalities now functioning in the master universe.

P.15 - §5 The Absolute. The two Absolutes--qualified and unqualified--while so apparently divergent in function as they may be observed by mind creatures, are perfectly and divinely unified in and by the Universal Absolute. In the last analysis and in the final comprehension all three are one Absolute. On subinfinite levels they are functionally differentiated, but in infinity they are ONE.

P.15 - §6 We never use the term the Absolute as a negation of aught or as a denial of anything. Neither do we regard the Universal Absolute as self-determinative, a sort of pantheistic and impersonal Deity. The Absolute, in all that pertains to universe personality, is strictly Trinity limited and Deity dominated.

[Presentations are copied from the original version of The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions are welcome, as are comments related to that day's text. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD or other subforum as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

Edited by Rick Warren

Forum Friends,

Now I'm beginning to wonder if we should have named this the one PARAGRAPH a day SG. Especially when it comes to today's focus!

...When the combined thought of the Universal Father and the Eternal Son, functioning in the God of Action, constituted the creation of the divine and central universe, the Father followed the expression of his thought into the word of his Son and the act of their Conjoint Executive by differentiating his Havona presence from the potentials of infinity. And these undisclosed infinity potentials remain space concealed in the Unqualified Absolute and divinely enshrouded in the Deity Absolute, while these two become one in the functioning of the Universal Absolute, the unrevealed infinity-unity of the Paradise Father.... P.13 - §6

Are there any parts of this you can't digest after several readings? The first half I can follow, because that's the philosophical construct presented in other parts of the revelation. The second half always troubles me, because of the vagueness of my understanding the Absolutes. But I am determined, like Meredith, to firm up my conceptuals in this regard. (Nigel, Bonita, that's your cue, and anyone else who might dare make the climb of the Mt Everest of UB revelations.)

Lotsa love and mind oil, Rick

Edited by Rick Warren

Woooosh! Over my head. Ha ha. A page a day is better than a paragraph. I'm waiting until we're done with the forward to make a coherent comment. I haven't been able to make it to my Tuesday night study group due to time contraints so I'm very thankful that my mind can still be ministered to here with this page a day SG. Thanks, Rick.

I'm sorry Rick. I don't see the mountain. It makes sense to me from my meager frame of reference. I think the revelators have done a more than adequate job explaining this. As humans we can't understand it, but we can conceptualize it. What concept gives you the most trouble?

It's possible that you're thinking too hard about it. Don't try to understand it, just form a mental image of it. Make a rough sketch then go back and fill in detail as you progress.

I find it helpful to remember that love is THE creative energy force in existence. Although it is creative (bringing actuals out of potentials) it, itself, (or should I say he, himself) can neither be created or destroyed. It simply is, and it just keeps changing. We could also say that it keeps growing, but that would be creating more of something that cannot be created or destroyed. So, the concept of growth really means change.

All there IS, already IS. We just call him by different names as he changes.

How's that for simple and basic? That's my speed.

Woooosh! Over my head. Ha ha. A page a day is better than a paragraph. I'm waiting until we're done with the forward to make a coherent comment. I haven't been able to make it to my Tuesday night study group due to time contraints so I'm very thankful that my mind can still be ministered to here with this page a day SG. Thanks, Rick.

You're most welcome. Good to have you on board Midsoniter Woman.

I'm sorry Rick. I don't see the mountain. It makes sense to me from my meager frame of reference. I think the revelators have done a more than adequate job explaining this. As humans we can't understand it, but we can conceptualize it. What concept gives you the most trouble?

It's possible that you're thinking too hard about it. Don't try to understand it, just form a mental image of it. Make a rough sketch then go back and fill in detail as you progress.

I find it helpful to remember that love is THE creative energy force in existence. Although it is creative (bringing actuals out of potentials) it, itself, (or should I say he, himself) can neither be created or destroyed. It simply is, and it just keeps changing. We could also say that it keeps growing, but that would be creating more of something that cannot be created or destroyed. So, the concept of growth really means change.

All there IS, already IS. We just call him by different names as he changes.

How's that for simple and basic? That's my speed.

Appreciate the feedback, Bonita,

At least you're satisfied with your conceptualization of these revelations. That's worth much.

Newer readers might be helped in knowing these statements in the Foreword regarding cosmic mechanics often apply to the true Mt Everest of the revelation, Papers 104-106. No doubt we will look back to the Foreword when traversing those Papers for a refreshment of the deep definitions and explanations of the Absolutes and the Trinities.

For the present, here again is the last sentence of the first paragraph on the Absolutes:

...And these undisclosed infinity potentials remain space concealed in the Unqualified Absolute and divinely enshrouded in the Deity Absolute, while these two become one in the functioning of the Universal Absolute, the unrevealed infinity-unity of the Paradise Father.... P.13 - §6

Taking Bonita's advice and not overthinking it, here the Divine Counselor seems to be saying the Absolutes are hidden reservoirs of universe potentials, and though they are differently named, they are one in function. (Ever remember Deity IS unity.)

The second paragraph (below) alludes to combining cosmic and spirit force by the Universal Absolute in order enable the existential First Source and Center to relate to, and identify with, the three great manifestations of experiential reality.

...Both potency of cosmic force and potency of spirit force are in process of progressive revelation-realization as the enrichment of all reality is effected by experiential growth and through the correlation of the experiential with the existential by the Universal Absolute. By virtue of the equipoising presence of the Universal Absolute, the First Source and Center realizes extension of experiential power, enjoys identification with his evolutionary creatures, and achieves expansion of experiential Deity on the levels of Supremacy, Ultimacy, and Absoluteness.... P.13 - §7

Then the Counselor says something yet more cryptic:

...When it is not possible fully to distinguish the Deity Absolute from the Unqualified Absolute, their supposedly combined function or co-ordinated presence is designated the action of the Universal Absolute.... P.14 - §1

It makes it more difficult to understand the Absolutes when they change names depending on function...

The next three paragraphs go on to describe the Deity Absolute in contra-distinction to the Unqualified and the Qualified. If one considers the Absolutes as a spectrum of potentials, the Foreword seems to suggest that the Unqualifed Absolute is associated more with the non-personal while the Deity Absolute deals with the personal. The Universal is the three functioning as one.

Comments? Differing/similar interpretations? Rick

Edited by Rick Warren

P.13 - §6 And these undisclosed infinity potentials remain space concealed in the Unqualified Absolute and divinely enshrouded in the Deity Absolute, while these two become one in the functioning of the Universal Absolute, the unrevealed infinity-unity of the Paradise Father.... P.13 - §6

is a recapitulation of

p.6-1 This tension of infinity differential is resolved by the Universal Absolute, which functions to unify and co-ordinate the dynamic infinity of Total Deity and the static infinity of the Unqualified Absolute.

which is expanded on

p.644- P.644 - §3 The Unqualified Absolute and the Deity Absolute are unified in the Universal Absolute. The Absolutes are co-ordinated in the Ultimate, conditioned in the Supreme, and time-space modified in God the Sevenfold. On subinfinite levels there are three Absolutes, but in infinity they appear to be one. On Paradise there are three personalizations of Deity, but in the Trinity they are one.

That helps Bill,

Thanks. And it knocks the rust off some of the cognitive framework I'd constructed for grasping these teachings on previous readings.

Ok, see if this sounds right so we can continue to plow through the Absolutes and tackle the Trinties before the 21st. (MW yawns.)

The Absolutes are the necessary reservoirs of potential experience that pay out reality by the will of the Paradise Trinity (I peeked at the next page) as we creatures help Father create the Supreme, Ultimate and beyond. Fairly simple as Bonita says, eh? But then the Counselor suggests that the Unqualified Absolute leans toward the non-personal, the Deity Absolute is primarily personal, and the Universal Absolute unifies them.

If "Deity realities" are the Absolutes, then this quote speaks to the personalness of the Cosmos:

...Deity realities always seek realization and manifestation in personalization. God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and even God the Absolute are therefore divine inevitabilities. p16

We were set up <_ rick>

It's kind of neat that the Father becomes free to act directly over the personality circuit and participate along with each one of us by having all the business taking place in nether Paradise and throughout creation with the Absolutes.

For our part, we emerge into reality half-blind and whining on the nativity sphere, gain cosmic consciousness then perfection hunger, spiritize our souls, are perfected on the billion worlds of Havona, land on the shores of eternity (Paradise), are embraced by God and emerge to swear an eternal oath of service given by the chief Transcendentaler, a being literally from a higher level of reality. Once we start, we never stop becoming.

• Like 1

Good cosmic outline in a few words Bill,

Inward, to perfection!

And onward--to the next paragraphs in Section 11 of the Foreword. The first paragraph described the Absolutes, sketched out their supposed origin, purpose and destiny.

P.13 - §6 When the combined thought of the Universal Father and the Eternal Son, functioning in the God of Action, constituted the creation of the divine and central universe, the Father followed the expression of his thought into the word of his Son and the act of their Conjoint Executive by differentiating his Havona presence from the potentials of infinity. And these undisclosed infinity potentials remain space concealed in the Unqualified Absolute and divinely enshrouded in the Deity Absolute, while these two become one in the functioning of the Universal Absolute, the unrevealed infinity-unity of the Paradise Father.

The next two paragraphs appear to me to reiterate and expand on the first paragraph's rather astounding revelations.

Then comes these three paragraphs on the Deity Absolute and Its relatedness:

P.14 - §2 1. The Deity Absolute seems to be the all-powerful activator, while the Unqualified Absolute appears to be the all-efficient mechanizer of the supremely unified and ultimately co-ordinated universe of universes, even universes upon universes, made, making, and yet to be made.

P.14 - §3 The Deity Absolute cannot, or at least does not, react to any universe situation in a subabsolute manner. Every response of this Absolute to any given situation appears to be made in terms of the welfare of the whole creation of things and beings, not only in its present state of existence, but also in view of the infinite possibilities of all future eternity.

P.14 - §4 The Deity Absolute is that potential which was segregated from total, infinite reality by the freewill choice of the Universal Father, and within which all divinity activities--existential and experiential--take place. This is the Qualified Absolute in contradistinction to the Unqualified Absolute; but the Universal Absolute is superadditive to both in the encompassment of all absolute potential.

Comments, questions welcome, Rick

Edited by Rick Warren

And onward--to the next paragraphs in Section 11 of the Foreword. The first paragraph described the Absolutes, sketched out their supposed origin, purpose and destiny.

I'm wondering if we can sidetrack for a moment and discuss the idea of THOUGHT, WORD AND ACTION?

When reading the above quote, I'm always astonished by the use of "old" language in referring to the Son as "The Word" of God. These concepts appear throughout ancient philosophy, the Bible and TUB; they have interesting connotations that would be fun to explore in another thread. Meanwhile, it is a useful way to conceptualize the Absolute. Consider the following quotes in relation to the above quote:

8:0.1 Back in eternity, when the Universal Father's "first" infinite and absolute thought finds in the Eternal Son such a perfect and adequate word for its divine expression, there ensues the supreme desire of both the Thought-God and the Word-God for a universal and infinite agent of mutual expression and combined action.

8:3.1 As the Eternal Son is the word expression of the "first" absolute and infinite thought of the Universal Father, so the Conjoint Actor is the perfect execution of the "first" completed creative concept or plan for combined action by the Father-Son personality partnership of absolute thought-word union. The Third Source and Center eternalizes concurrently with the central or fiat creation, and only this central creation is eternal in existence among universes.

8:4.1 Paralleling the physical universe wherein Paradise gravity holds all things together is the spiritual universe wherein the word of the Son interprets the thought of God and, when "made flesh," demonstrates the loving mercy of the combined nature of the associated Creators.

There are parallels in the formation of this Absolute Trinity with the formation of the original Trinity. The undisclosed infinity potentials (I AM), referred to in the first quote, can be conceptualized as awaiting interpretation by the Deity Absolute (word of the Son) and expression by the Unqualified Absolute (action of the Infinite Spirit).

What I find intriguing is the role of personality in this process. On the level of Deity Absolute, there is "exhaustion of personalizable potential". If the Word-God, aka Eternal Son, is the realization of the personality of the Thought-God (I AM), then what new personality potentials will there be to be realized by the Deity Absolute? Our personalities are realizable on seven dimensions, one of which is absolute with potential for subinfinite penetration of the absolute. (112:1.9) If there is no more potential and only actual, then our personalities become an actual "fact" (similar to I AM, but sub- or under), with subabsolute, subinfinite expression in word and action.

112:1.9 The type of personality bestowed upon Urantia mortals has a potentiality of seven dimensions of self-expression or person-realization. These dimensional phenomena are realizable as three on the finite level, three on the absonite level, and one on the absolute level. On subabsolute levels this seventh or totality dimension is experiencible as the fact of personality. This supreme dimension is an associable absolute and, while not infinite, is dimensionally potential for subinfinite penetration of the absolute.

I'm not sure how to think about this. If Thought-God is a single dimension, then Word-God and Action-God lend themselves to three dimensions. The Absolutes provide for three more dimensions and a seventh when united with the first three. Our personalities will function somewhere amongst all of this. We will not actually be God, but will be in God within his absoluteness. Then what?

Time for excedrin.

Edited by Bonita

That's a worthwhile, helpful and relevant sidetrack Bonita,

Interesting the way the Counselor uses the 'Word' concept, to teach it anew, this time sandwiched between the first thought and the first action. Yes, the parallels the Absolutes have with the Paradise Trinity is worth study to triangulate in on these Excedrin-eliciting concepts. It appears the Universal Absolute is a go between as is the Eternal Son.

I'm still attempting to distill the three paragraphs on the Deity Absolute's relations. Apparently the Qualified Absolute and the Deity Absolute are the same.

...The Deity Absolute is that potential which was segregated from total, infinite reality by the freewill choice of the Universal Father, and within which all divinity activities--existential and experiential--take place. This is the Qualified Absolute in contradistinction to the Unqualified Absolute; but the Universal Absolute is superadditive to both in the encompassment of all absolute potential.... P.14 - §4

Thanks, Rick

Then comes three paragraphs on the Unqualified Absolute.

P.14 - §5 2. The Unqualified Absolute is nonpersonal, extradivine, and undeified. The Unqualified Absolute is therefore devoid of personality, divinity, and all creator prerogatives. Neither fact nor truth, experience nor revelation, philosophy nor absonity are able to penetrate the nature and character of this Absolute without universe qualification.

P.14 - §6 Let it be made clear that the Unqualified Absolute is a positive reality pervading the grand universe and, apparently, extending with equal space presence on out into the force activities and prematerial evolutions of the staggering stretches of the space regions beyond the seven superuniverses. The Unqualified Absolute is not a mere negativism of philosophic concept predicated on the assumptions of metaphysical sophistries concerning the universality, dominance, and primacy of the unconditioned and the unqualified. The Unqualified Absolute is a positive universe overcontrol in infinity; this overcontrol is space-force unlimited but is definitely conditioned by the presence of life, mind, spirit, and personality, and is further conditioned by the will-reactions and purposeful mandates of the Paradise Trinity.

P.14 - §7 We are convinced that the Unqualified Absolute is not an undifferentiated and all-pervading influence comparable either to the pantheistic concepts of metaphysics or to the sometime ether hypothesis of science. The Unqualified Absolute is force unlimited and Deity conditioned, but we do not fully perceive the relation of this Absolute to the spirit realities of the universes.

The author states up front this is a non-personal potentiality, and stressed we are not to see this aspect of Deity as a negative, always a positive.

The last sentence in the paragraph above suggests even the Counselor and company ("we") lack absolute knowledge of this Absolute.

Next, the Universal Absolute and beyond.

Feedback, input, comments all welcome.

Much love, Rick

Edited by Rick Warren

That's a worthwhile, helpful and relevant sidetrack Bonita,

Interesting the way the Counselor uses the 'Word' concept, to teach it anew, this time sandwiched between the first thought and the first action. Yes, the parallels the Absolutes have with the Paradise Trinity is worth study to triangulate in on these Excedrin-eliciting concepts. It appears the Universal Absolute is a go between as is the Eternal Son.

I'm still attempting to distill the three paragraphs on the Deity Absolute's relations. Apparently the Qualified Absolute and the Deity Absolute are the same.

...The Deity Absolute is that potential which was segregated from total, infinite reality by the freewill choice of the Universal Father, and within which all divinity activities--existential and experiential--take place. This is the Qualified Absolute in contradistinction to the Unqualified Absolute; but the Universal Absolute is superadditive to both in the encompassment of all absolute potential.... P.14 - §4

Hi Rick,

After reading the above, a few thoughts occurred to me. First, you wrote that the Universal Absolute appears to be a "go between", like the Eternal Son. I'm not convinced of this.

I think that the Universal Absolute is more of a unifier and equalizer than a "go between". The Universal Absolute coordinates and unifies the Qualified and Unqualified Absolutes by resolving the friction between dynamic and static infinity, actuals and potentials, the deified and undeified, the personal and impersonal, free will and no free-will.

In regards to the Eternal Son and going back to the metaphor of thought/word/action, the Eternal Son finds a "perfect and adequate word" for the Father's thought. They (together) form the agent of expression/action. In other words, the Father's free will desire is conceptualized by the Son and expressed by the Infinite Spirit. The Son's role here is not to unify but to plan for the creative expression of the Father's thought by the action of Infinite Spirit. In this sense, the Eternal Son can be thought of as a "go between", a bridge or step in the process.

It is not as clear to me that the Universal Absolute works in the same way as the Son. In the following quote, it is suggested that it possibly involves the expression/action part of the triad:

0.11.3 When it is not possible fully to distinguish the Deity Absolute from the Unqualified Absolute, their supposedly combined function or co-ordinated presence is designated the action of the Universal Absolute.

But, I could be wrong about this since the idea of a "go between" can have more than one meaning. I'm reminded of a quote which reveals how provisional our human thought mechanisms and thought structures are, and how we are prone to "invent" an explanation for what we do not understand in order to continue our productive thinking. So, maybe I'm inventing something out of nothing here.

p1260:2 115:1.1 Partial, incomplete, and evolving intellects would be helpless in the master universe, would be unable to form the first rational thought pattern, were it not for the innate ability of all mind, high or low, to form a universe frame in which to think. If mind cannot fathom conclusions, if it cannot penetrate to true origins, then will such mind unfailingly postulate conclusions and invent origins that it may have a means of logical thought within the frame of these mind-created postulates. And while such universe frames for creature thought are indispensable to rational intellectual operations, they are, without exception, erroneous to a greater or lesser degree.

p1260:3 115:1.2 Conceptual frames of the universe are only relatively true; they are serviceable scaffolding which must eventually give way before the expansions of enlarging cosmic comprehension. The understandings of truth, beauty, and goodness, morality, ethics, duty, love, divinity, origin, existence, purpose, destiny, time, space, even Deity, are only relatively true. God is much, much more than a Father, but the Father is man's highest concept of God; nonetheless, the Father-Son portrayal of Creator-creature relationship will be augmented by those supermortal conceptions of Deity which will be attained in Orvonton, in Havona, and on Paradise. Man must think in a mortal universe frame, but that does not mean that he cannot envision other and higher frames within which thought can take place.

Unifier and equalizer are probably closer to the meaning, thanks much Bonita.

Also thinking shock absorber. And you mentioned friction suppressor, like that too.

The author seems not to have words for the Unquaified, except that you can't quality it <_>

More later, rw

Hi Rick,

Funny you should bring up the "unqualified". To qualify means to become eligible for a particular benefit, privilege or entitlement. Could that benefit be something as simple as personality and free-will choice? That which is unqualified has not yet become eligible for personification. But there seems to be a necessary and unique balance between the qualified and unqualified, while the Universal Absolute is "superadditive" to them.

When Deity Absolute, or Qualified Absolute, reaches exhaustion of personalizable potential, it "encounters, impinges upon, and experiences identity with, the Unqualified Absolute." (0.2.15) We are told that the Unqualified Absolute is conditioned by the Qualified Absolute, but what does it mean to experience identity with it? Does this occur within the Universal Absolute? Is the Universal Absolute the place for transcendental transmutation of the unqualified to qualified, the place for the reaction between statics and potentials once they become identified for destiny?

The purely static potentials inherent in the Unqualified Absolute are reactive to those causations of the Deity Absolute which are produced by the actions of the Paradise Trinity. In the presence of the Universal Absolute these causative-impregnated static potentials forthwith become active and responsive to the influence of certain transcendental agencies whose actions result in the transmutation of these activated potentials to the status of true universe possibilities for development, actualized capacities for growth. It is upon such matured potentials that the creators and controllers of the grand universe enact the never-ending drama of cosmic evolution.

Causation, disregarding existentials, is threefold in its basic constitution. As it operates in this universe age and concerning the finite level of the seven superuniverses, it may be conceived as follows:

1. Activation of static potentials. The establishment of destiny in the Universal Absolute by the actions of the Deity Absolute, operating in and upon the Unqualified Absolute and in consequence of the volitional mandates of the Paradise Trinity.

2. Eventuation of universe capacities. This involves the transformation of undifferentiated potentials into segregated and defined plans. This is the act of the Ultimacy of Deity and of the manifold agencies of the transcendental level. Such acts are in perfect anticipation of the future needs of the entire master universe. It is in connection with the segregation of potentials that the Architects of the Master Universe exist as the veritable embodiments of the Deity concept of the universes. Their plans appear to be ultimately space limited in extent by the concept periphery of the master universe, but as plans they are not otherwise conditioned by time or space.

3. Creation and evolution of universe actuals. It is upon a cosmos impregnated by the capacity-producing presence of the Ultimacy of Deity that the Supreme Creators operate to effect the time transmutations of matured potentials into experiential actuals. Within the master universe all actualization of potential reality is limited by ultimate capacity for development and is time-space conditioned in the final stages of emergence. The Creator Sons going out from Paradise are, in actuality, transformative creators in the cosmic sense. But this in no manner invalidates man's concept of them as creators; from the finite viewpoint they certainly can and do create. 118:4.3-7

Just kinda thinkin' out loud here. Please feel free to correct any deficiencies.

When Deity Absolute, or Qualified Absolute, reaches exhaustion of personalizable potential, it "encounters, impinges upon, and experiences identity with, the Unqualified Absolute." (0.2.15) We are told that the Unqualified Absolute is conditioned by the Qualified Absolute, but what does it mean to experience identity with it? Does this occur within the Universal Absolute? Is the Universal Absolute the place for transcendental transmutation of the unqualified to qualified, the place for the reaction between statics and potentials once they become identified for destiny?

Imo, yes to the last two Bonita,

The Counselor suggests that the Unqualified Absolute beccomes unified with the Deity Absloute thru the functioning of the Universal Absolute as needed, yes?

Sounds like the Universal is the mixing bowl that draws from the other two its ingredients for the recipes sent from the First Source and Center through the Son and Spirit. The Unqualified supplies the non-personal and the Deity Absolute supplies the personsal. I think.

Thanks again!

Comments absolutely welcome, Rick

OPAD Friends,

The paragraph below helped me hold these rarified revelations in mind (for a moment). But in the paragraph before this one, the Divine Counselor uses the word, "incomprehensible". Oh, well.

P.15 - §5 The Absolute. The two Absolutes--qualified and unqualified--while so apparently divergent in function as they may be observed by mind creatures, are perfectly and divinely unified in and by the Universal Absolute. In the last analysis and in the final comprehension all three are one Absolute. On subinfinite levels they are functionally differentiated, but in infinity they are ONE.

Better wrap up the Absolutes today to stay on schedule. Surely UAI Forum needs to have threads, all their own, on the Absolutes and the Trinities. But is there enough interest in discussing them further?

Tomorrow the Trinities, then the statement of Acknowledgement from the Revelators, before launching out on Paper 1 next Friday.

Input always invited, Rick