Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Bonita

Socialization of the Personality

The Adjuster and the personality are two different beings. The adjuster is only the nucleus of the human mind before fusion. The adjuster may be carrying a future personality possibility, but it hasn't happened yet. The personality can still reject such a future.

And I'm sure that a personality has many traits of character that did not come from the adjuster. The character can have many nasty traits, many nasty traits indeed. Many bad traits of character came from upbringing or whatever. But that doesn't mean that the personality in question has not built up a little bit of a soul of survival capacity.

The Adjuster adjusts the human mind in making the decisions required to achieve good character. Actual successful aquirements are contained within the soul and carried by the seraphim. The Adjuster carries a copy for himself. He may use his copy for someone else if the personality in question fails of survival.

Fusion candidates fuse when their desire is perfect, not when their character is perfect. The character won't be perfect until maybe Havona or beyond.

110.1.2 The Adjusters are loving leaders, your safe and sure guides through the dark and uncertain mazes of your short earthly career; they are the patient teachers who so constantly urge their subjects forward in the paths of progressive perfection. They are the careful custodians of the sublime values of creature character. I wish you could love them more, co-operate with them more fully, and cherish them more affectionately.

108.6.4 The adjuster is the wellspring of spiritual attainment and the hope of divine character within you.

For some reason a partial post occurred here when I hit the post preview button. I deleted it and put the full post below. Sorry for the length of the post. Perhaps this error was God's way of telling me to break up that post into smaller pieces, I don't know. I just had a lot to say . . . as usual.

Edited by Bonita

I'd really like to get back to the issue of how socialization, and what kind of socialization, serves to spiritualize the personality. I think we've had many threads already about the personality and what happens after death. We've established that the character changes and the character can range from animal-like all the way up to divine. We also agree, on some level, that the character and the soul are interrelated. We also agree that the Adjuster is the our divine character awaiting personality fruition through free-will choice.

The Adjuster as a prepersonal creature has premind and prewill. If you so fully conform to the Adjuster's mind that you see eye to eye, then your minds become one, and you receive the reinforcement of the Adjuster's mind.
Subsequently, if your will orders and enforces the execution of the decisions of this new or combined mind, the Adjuster's prepersonal will attains to personality expression through your decision
, and as far as that particular project is concerned, you and the Adjuster are one. Your mind has attained to divinity attunement, and the Adjuster's will has achieved personality expression. (p1205:03)

Subsequent to mortal fusion the Adjusters share your destiny and experience;
they are you
. (110.7.4)  

We also know that the Adjuster is responsible for aiding mortals in developing a character worth surviving.

The Adjusters are here loaned to the mortal creatures for a single life span as patterns for their higher spiritual attainment, temporary
helpers in the intriguing task of perfecting a survival character
. (109.3.3)

The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster
threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings — a surviving soul
of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter. (111.2.2)

We are also certain that after death the Adjuster is the guardian of the character and the seraphim is the guardian of the soul.

If, when death overtakes you, you have attained the third circle or a higher realm and therefore have had assigned to you a personal guardian of destiny, and if the
final transcript of the summary of survival character submitted by the Adjuster
is unconditionally certified by the destiny guardian . . . (112.4.5)

But, the soul cannot survive without the character; the Adjuster must show up with the character transcript in order for the personality to be resurrected. The soul partakes in creating the character during life and needs the Adjuster to energize the memory patterns of that character in the afterlife.

This evolving soul does, however, possess a continuing character derived from the decisions of its former associated adjutant mind, and this character becomes active memory when the patterns thereof are energized by the returning Adjuster. (112.6.7)

Furthermore, we know that it is more than just the desire to do the Father's will that results in fusion with one's Adjuster. Fusion is determined by the actual fulfillment of survival decisions. One must actually live out the Father's will before one can fuse. To live out the Father's will requires socialization of the personality. Fusion requires a "high level of personality perfection".

Survival decisions are now being confirmed. When the self attains the spiritual level, it has become a secure value in the universe, and this new value is predicated upon the fact that
survival decisions have been made, which fact has been witnessed by eternal fusion with the Thought Adjuster.
And having achieved the status of a true universe value, the creature becomes liberated in potential for the seeking of the highest universe value — God. (112.7.6)

Likewise is man’s eternal destiny assured when Adjuster fusion proclaims to the universe that such an ascender has made the
final and irrevocable choice to live the Father’s will
. (5.1.11)

Ordinarily, when a mortal of the realm attains such
high levels of personality perfection, there occur those preliminary phenomena of spiritual elevation which terminate in eventual fusion
of the matured soul of the mortal with its associated divine Adjuster. (136.2.3)

Mortal personality perfection is the same as completing the psychic circles, Adjuster attunement and the approaching of personality reality. We know that all of this requires the making of decisions of survival value and these decisions must involve other personalities (socialization). Survival decisions result in soul growth and Adjuster attunement (achievement of a divine character). The desire to do the Adjuster's will is not the same as actually doing his will, and doing his will requires some level of socialization with other personalities. Desire is what gets one into the kingdom, but the actual doing of the Father's will is what results in progress within the kingdom.

Jesus' religion consisted not merely in believing, but in actually doing, those things which the gospel required. (1769:10)

Though Jesus taught that faith, simple childlike belief, is the key to the door of the kingdom, he also taught that, having entered the door, there are the progressive steps of righteousness which every believing child must ascend in order to grow up to the full stature of the robust sons of God. (170.3.2)

When you have by faith once established yourself as a son of God, nothing else matters as regards the surety of survival. But make no mistake! this
survival faith is a living faith
, and it increasingly manifests the fruits of that divine spirit which first inspired it in the human heart. That you have once accepted sonship in the heavenly kingdom will not save you in the face of the knowing and persistent rejection of those truths which have to do with the progressive spiritual fruit-bearing of the sons of God in the flesh. (176.3.3)

Given this premise, would socialization that serves to spiritualize the personality only be that socialization in which the Father's will is being done, where the acting out of the divine character (producing spiritual fruit), actually takes place due to personality choice?

We are told that the Adjuster is the hope of divine character within us. We are also told that the divine character of the Father and the Son are one and the same. Therefore, I think we should look to the life of Jesus in order to answer the question, how does socialization, and what kind of socialization, serves to spiritualize the personality? If socialization is the mechanism by which spiritual fruits are brought to fruition, should we shun some forms of socialization in favor of others? Is this what Jesus did?

He did shun going to the public baths and pagan temples, and he utterly avoided some cities that were steeped in debauchery; but he did mingle with sinners and pagans. He had no reservations about speaking to any of those folk who came to see him from the baths, temples or the "evil cities", however. He partied, drank, ate, sang and danced. He socialized with women and lepers, criminals and scholars, workers and priests. He went to synagogues and underground mines just to be with people. He seemed to know what social situations to avoid, yet he never avoided people, just the situations. Even those who were spiritually unreceptive, he connected with on some level. (Recall the conversation with Ganid about the spiritually unreceptive beggar they gave alms to.)

Jesus succeeded in socializing his personality to perfection. What can we learn from him?

Hi Bonita, all,

As to the "hows" and the "whats" of the socialization of personality, I go forward with, Not my will Lord, but yours be done.

As to practical whats and hows, one can take a look at the animal vestigial traits that will, sooner or later, be eradicated, because in the morontia life, time is not available to dodge disagreeable obligations of which socialization of personality may be a part.

One of the purposes of the morontia career is to effect the permanent eradication from the mortal survivors of such animal vestigial traits as
procrastination, equivocation, insincerity, problem avoidance, unfairness, and ease seeking
. The mansonia life early teaches the young morontia pupils that postponement is in no sense avoidance. After the life in the flesh, time is no longer available as a technique of dodging situations or of circumventing disagreeable obligations.
P.551 - §3

All the best,

Meredith

And I'm sure that a personality has many traits of character that did not come from the adjuster. The character can have many nasty traits, many nasty traits indeed. Many bad traits of character came from upbringing or whatever. But that doesn't mean that the personality in question has not built up a little bit of a soul of survival capacity.

Nasty character traits result from either of two sources: 1) animal vestiges; 2) unwillingness or refusal to choose the Father's will. Nasty character traits are the result of evil and error, the rejection of truth, a sign of immaturity and/or unwillingness to mature. God gives us a massive amount of mercy credits in order to overcome both our animal heritage and our tendency toward evil and immature error. Therefore, nasty character traits can and should be changed. I think that can happen with proper socialization.

The Memory of Mercy discloses the moral debt of the children of mercy — their spiritual liabilities — to be set down against their assets of the saving provision established by the Sons of God. In revealing the Father’s pre-existent mercy, the Sons of God establish the necessary credit to insure the survival of all. And then, in accordance with the findings of the Significance of Origins, a mercy credit is established for the survival of each rational creature, a credit of lavish proportions and one of sufficient grace to insure the survival of every soul who really desires divine citizenship. (28.6.5)

The Adjuster adjusts the human mind in making the decisions required to achieve good character. Actual successful aquirements are contained within the soul and carried by the seraphim. The Adjuster carries a copy for himself. He may use his copy for someone else if the personality in question fails of survival.

We've had this debate on another thread. The seraphim and Adjuster do not carry the exact same thing. The seraphim is responsible for the soul, the Adjuster is responsible for the character of the personality that was built by both the Adjuster and the personality in order to form a soul. If the soul fails to survive, the personality is absorbed into the oversoul of the Supreme and the character that was built up by the Adjuster and the personality persist as part of the Adjuster. The soul is part of the mind, the character is part of the personality. Both the personality and the Adjuster are God's perfect gifts. What man does with his personality determines the existence of the soul and the character. The character has to do with what has become actualized from the potential divine character of God's nature which he shares with us, and it remains with God (Adjuster, gift from God) because it came from the experience of personality choice (another gift from God).

Fusion candidates fuse when their desire is perfect, not when their character is perfect. The character won't be perfect until maybe Havona or beyond.

Fusion takes place when the personality reaches a certain level of perfection, perfect attunement with the will of the Adjuster. After fusion, the character of the personality continues to perfect and the Adjuster supplies what is needed for the growth of that perfection dependent upon the spiritual level of the individual. Personality perfection results from doing the Father's will, not just the desire to his will. It comes from perfection of decision making determined by one's level of functioning.

After the fusion of the immortal morontia soul and the associated Adjuster, all of the experience and all of the values of the one eventually become the possession of the other, so that the two are actually one entity. In a certain sense, this new being is of the eternal past as well as for the eternal future. All that was once human in the surviving soul and all that is experientially divine in the Adjuster now become the actual possession of the new and ever-ascending universe personality.
But on each universe level the Adjuster can endow the new creature only with those attributes which are meaningful and of value on that level. An absolute oneness with the divine Monitor, a complete exhaustion of the endowment of an Adjuster, can only be achieved in eternity subsequent to the final attainment of the Universal Father, the Father of spirits, ever the source of these divine gifts
. (110.7.4)

The soul may evolve regardless of mental culture but not in the absence of mental capacity and desire — the choice of survival and
the decision to achieve ever-increasing perfection — to do the will of the Father in heaven
. (65.8.4)

We observe that many mortals on the worlds of space may be apparently in readiness to receive Adjusters, and yet the Monitors do not appear. We go on watching such creatures as they live from day to day, and presently they quietly, almost unconsciously,
arrive at the decision to begin the pursuit of the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. And then we observe the immediate dispatch of the Thought Adjusters
. (108.2.10)

This Adjuster did indeed triumph in Jesus’ human mind — that mind which in each of life’s recurring situations maintained a consecrated dedication to the Father’s will, saying, “Not my will, but yours, be done.” Such decisive consecration constitutes the true passport from the limitations of human nature to the finality of divine attainment. (109.6.5 )

I was just thinking about the difference between character and soul also. I gathered that the character is a combination of personality characteristics. Think of Johnny Depp playing the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

Johnny is the personality. The hatter is one of his characters. The soul is a new body/vehicle that will replace Johnny's physical body upon his death. The soul will be the new body for Johnny and all of his characters.

The soul is not the the new body on the mansion worlds. The soul is the spiritualized mind of the new morontia body. The soul is a vehicle, however, but a vehicle for personality identity. It does not replace the physical body. The morontia body replaces the physical body and the morontia body/mind form houses the soul and the Adjuster.

The physical body of mortal flesh is not a part of the reassembly of the sleeping survivor; the physical body has returned to dust. The seraphim of assignment sponsors the new body, the morontia form, as the new life vehicle for the immortal soul and for the indwelling of the returned Adjuster. (30.4.8)

The midway creatures have long denominated this evolving soul of man the mid-mind in contradistinction to the lower or material mind and the higher or cosmic mind. This mid-mind is really a morontia phenomenon since it exists in the realm between the material and the spiritual. The potential of such a morontia evolution is inherent in the two universal urges of mind: the impulse of the finite mind of the creature to know God and attain the divinity of the Creator, and the impulse of the infinite mind of the Creator to know man and attain the experience of the creature. (111.2.8)

The soul is thus the embryo of the future morontia vehicle of personality identity. (111.3.2)

Yes, Bonita, I remember you helped me learn about the soul's new morontia form years ago. I appreciate you taking the time to teach me things. Of course the soul is much, much more than just a vehicle, but the Alice in Wonderland illustration was just an over simplification meant to bring smiles, not meant to be taken so technically.

But I'll just have to agree to disagree with you about the resurrection and let it go at that. My Thought Adjuster isn't a bell hop at a hotel carrying my luggage to my room for me. He is his own entity. The TA leads us in the way of good character, even a divine character, but let us not forget about the Spirit and Son fused mortals who don't resurrect with their terrestrial Thought Adjusters.

I do like what you said about nasty character traits smoothing out with the proper socialization. I was just thinking that even the subhuman I dated awhile back really just needed to be around the right people for awhile. I just thought of another interesting fact about our socialization and that is that the people closest to us in our lives were classed together by certain seraphim.

There's a certain kind of seraphim who group mortals together. I tried to find the quote about them, but haven't had any luck with the search engine. A seraphim must have paired me with that guy because he knew how ignorant I was about those kind of men. And now I will be all the more wise. Anyone who read my novel length post could probably tell that my character learned and grew a lot after socializing with him.

But I'll just have to agree to disagree with you about the resurrection and let it go at that. My Thought Adjuster isn't a bell hop at a hotel carrying my luggage to my room for me. He is his own entity.

Well . . . you can disagree with me all you want, but the facts are the facts. God does humble himself and dwells within your animalistic, imperfect and often rebellious mortal mind as a servant. He is your bell hop and he does carry, not only your baggage, but you, not just to your hotel room, but all the way to Paradise. The recognition of this simple fact should bring any loving person to his/her knees with quaking gratitude.

TUB even uses the words "divine condescension" to describe this phenomenon. Condescension means that someone superior lowers himself to the level of the inferior, or stoops to their level.

108:6.1 It is indeed a marvel of
divine condescension
for the exalted and perfect Adjusters to offer themselves for actual existence in the minds of material creatures, such as the mortals of Urantia, really to consummate a probationary union with the animal-origin beings of earth.

Picture Jesus, God incarnate, stooping on the floor scrubbing the feet of twelve nasty, bickering men. Jesus was the servant trying to help these animalistic, imperfect and rebellious men see the truth concerning God's relationship to man. Even the covenant of Melchizedek states that God will do everything and all man has to do is believe and be led. God comes to us as a servant, he serves us as a loving Father. Jesus called himself the Son of Man, a servant to men in an attempt to reveal the nature of God the Father.

93.6.4 This covenant of Melchizedek with Abraham represents
the great Urantian agreement between divinity and humanity whereby God agrees to do everything; man only agrees to believe God’s promises and follow his instructions.

Not only does God condescend to live in your imperfect mind, he actually adjusts himself to your level of imperfection.

3.2.5 God adjusts with the mind of imperfection — with Urantia mortals through the Thought Adjusters.

How sad it is that despite this unfathomable amount of love, when God attempts to adjust the imperfect mind, so many fight against it and never return the love. God adjusts himself for us, but how often will we allow ourselves to be adjusted for him? Again, it brings you to your knees in quaking gratitude if you even begin to think about it.

Think about how hard the Adjuster works to serve you; how patient and intensely he looks after you; how he carries the weight for you while ceaselessly attempting to awaken you to truth. Think of how a father serves his infant child, attending to every whimpering need while patiently teaching and watching over him. The father does all of the work for the infant, and that is precisely where we are spiritually. We are infants and God agrees to do everything if we would only be loyal and cooperate.

110.7.10 — thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling. Upon him I bestow the
supreme devotion and affection
of a divine spirit. And say further to
my beloved
subject that I will function with wisdom and power until the very end, until the last earth struggle is over;
I will be true
to my personality trust. And I exhort him to survival, not to disappoint me, not to deprive me of the reward of my
patient and intense struggle

God serves through his Adjusters. That is a fact. They are not slaves to the human will, but they serve the human will and respect it. They are completely dependent upon our free will for their personality expression, and this is a knee buckling reality that should make any person tremble at the awesomeness of it. How can this be? How can God desire us so much that he is willing to put up with our imperfect, animalistic and rebellious tendencies? It's almost unbelievable! So I understand why you have so much trouble accepting it.

112.5.5 Upon the integrity of the human volition depends the eternal destiny of the future finaliter; upon the sincerity of the mortal free will the divine Adjuster depends for eternal personality; upon the faithfulness of mortal choice the Universal Father depends for the realization of a new ascending son; upon the steadfastness and wisdom of decision-actions the Supreme Being depends for the actuality of experiential evolution.

[...] and he does carry, not only your baggage, but you, not just to your hotel room, but all the way to Paradise.

Thank you Bonita for stating so plainly this mind-blowing fact! We get another hint at our unimaginable

situation when we consider that our Michael spent a few hundred billion years getting his own universe

and family trained and prepared before daring to attempt the work for which he was commissioned:

"And then, when such a universe has been so completely organized and so repletely manned, does the

Creator Son enter into the Father’s proposal to create mortal man in their divine image." [(359.5) 32:2.8]

I think of that poet in Palestine asking his question: "What is man, that you are mindful of him?"

Even now, 3,000 years later, most of us on this world have literally no idea :D

Nigel

It is stunning Nigel, isn't it? As much as we desire God and strive to find him, God desires and strives for us even more. What kind of love is this?

A few years ago I read a book by a rabbi in which he equated the love between Creator and creature as eros. At first I was taken aback by that because I always connected sexual love with eros, but his argument was convincing. Spiritual love is a romantic love, of sorts. The rabbi made the psychological observation that we all want to be known, to be seen, to be recognized and be wanted or desired. He told a story about himself as a child going to a carnival. He stood in a crowd around a clown watching his act when the clown singled him out to be part of the act. He described the feeling that came over him when he realized that he had been "seen", that someone recognized him and considered him as special enough to be picked out of the crowd.

That is very similar to the feeling one gets when one realizes that God knows you individually, when God sees you and recognizes you as his very own, which generally occurs simultaneously with one's recognition of God as the desire of one's heart. Turns out that this is not something you want to keep as a secret; in fact, it is a thrilling experience full of passion and delight. Someone really knows me and desires me!! Is that not exactly what we all crave and spend our lives looking for? Is that not eros, pure desire but existing beyond the tease of the sexual level to the very Source of all desire himself? Is not this exchange of mutual desire between eternal partners the most beautiful thing in the cosmos?

56.10.3 The supreme beauty, the height of finite art, is the drama of the unification of the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature.
Man finding God and God finding man — the creature becoming perfect as is the Creator — that is the supernal achievement of the supremely beautiful, the attainment of the apex of cosmic art

112.7.18 What an adventure!
What a romance
! A gigantic creation to be administered by the children of the Supreme, these personalized and humanized Adjusters, these Adjusterized and eternalized mortals,
these mysterious combinations and eternal associations of the highest known manifestation of the essence of the First Source and Center and the lowest form of intelligent life capable of comprehending and attaining the Universal Father
. We conceive that such amalgamated beings, such partnerships of Creator and creature, will become superb rulers, matchless administrators, and understanding and sympathetic directors of any and all forms of intelligent life which may come into existence throughout these future universes of the first outer space level.

196.3.28 In the realm of religious experience, spiritual possibility is potential reality. Man’s forward spiritual urge is not a psychic illusion.
All of man’s universe romancing may not be fact, but much, very much, is truth

143.7.8 Worship is the act of a part identifying itself with the Whole; the finite with the Infinite; the son with the Father; time in the act of striking step with eternity. Worship is the act of the son’s personal communion with the divine Father, the assumption of refreshing, creative, fraternal, and
romantic attitudes by the human soul-spirit.

I wasn't aware that my Thought Adjuster even had coat pockets. If he's carrying stuff for me, I sure hope he brings my slippers. The floor might be cold in the resurrection hall.

Anyway, I loved the new episode of Glee that came on after the Super Bowl. It reminded me of Bonita's topic of socialization. The foot ball team is always bullying the Glee club, throwing slushees on them and throwing them into trash dumpsters and stuff. So the coach and the Glee club teacher decide to force the football team to join Glee club for awhile. If the football team refuses to show up for Glee practice, they will get kicked off the football team. The forced socialization helps the football team to understand and tolerate the Glee club members better. The jocs even begin to enjoy singing and dancing themselves. It's amazing how much new understanding you can have of different kinds of people when you begin a social relationship with them. Socializing promotes understanding. And understanding is the first step to tolerance. And tolerance is the first step to love.

I love to read about how the apostles changed because of their associations with Jesus and each other. Matthew's presence was a trial for the other apostles. Preaching to the Samaritans was also very shocking at first for the more racist apostles. I especially like the way Peter and Andrew socialized their different characters together to make each other better.

139:2.3 "The only reason Peter did not get into more trouble because of his thoughtless speaking was that he very early learned to talk over many of his plans and schemes with his brother, Andrew, before he ventured to make public proposals (1550.6)."

139:1.6 "Andrew and Peter were very unlike in character and temperament, but it must be recorded everlastingly to their credit that they got along together splendidly. Andrew was never jealous of Peter’s oratorical ability. Not often will an older man of Andrew’s type be observed exerting such a profound influence over a younger and talented brother. Andrew and Peter never seemed to be in the least jealous of each other’s abilities or achievements. Late on the evening of the day of Pentecost, when, largely through the energetic and inspiring preaching of Peter, two thousand souls were added to the kingdom, Andrew said to his brother: “I could not do that, but I am glad I have a brother who could.” To which Peter replied: “And but for your bringing me to the Master and by your steadfastness keeping me with him, I should not have been here to do this.” Andrew and Peter were the exceptions to the rule, proving that even brothers can live together peaceably and work together effectively (1549)."