Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Bonita

Socialization of the Personality

A few words in the following quote have been in my thoughts for months now in regards to my personal spiritual life. The importance of socializing one's personality, although long known to me as a logical and obvious intellectual concept, has only recently been brought into reality-focus as a critically essential part of spiritual progress toward god-likeness.

You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor's motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability,
then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality
. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man. (pg 1097:03)

A quick keyword review in TUB reveals a staggering amount of concentration on this issue in regards to the ascension career. Remembering that the ascension career begins here on earth, it is clear to me that there is constant "pressure from above" for us to socialize our personalities, both individually and collectively.

I'd like to open a discussion on how socializing serves as a method of spiritualizing the individual personality as well as spiritualizing groups of personalities in their attempt to bring heaven to earth, the realization of the brotherhood of man. How is God working in our individual lives, as well as in our communal lives, to overcome our mortally inherent antisocial tendencies such that we may become more godlike? I'm interested in both a scholarly analysis as well as personal anecdotes and revelatory realizations. Additionally, a look at the life of Jesus and how he socialized his personality would be relevant.

When brought closely together, men often learn to like one another, but primitive man was not naturally overflowing with the spirit of brotherly feeling and the desire for social contact with his fellows. Rather did the early races learn by sad experience that "in union there is strength"; and it is this lack of natural brotherly attraction that now stands in the way of immediate realization of the brotherhood of man on Urantia. (68:1.1)

It says here that personality is nonspiritual. But by doing the required socializing, the personality can be thereby spiritualized. I say "can be" because wicked personalities can also socialize but it would not lead to spiritualization.

112:2.8"Everything nonspiritual in human experience, excepting personality, is a means to an end. Every true relationship of mortal man with other persons — human or divine — is an end in itself. And such fellowship with the personality of Deity is the eternal goal of universe ascension (1228.3)."

Edited by Midsoniter woman

Every impulse of every electron, thought, or spirit is an acting unit in the whole universe. Only sin is isolated and evil gravity resisting on the mental and spiritual levels. The universe is a whole; no thing or being exists or lives in isolation. Self-realization is potentially evil if it is antisocial. It is literally true: “No man lives by himself.”
Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification.
Said Jesus: “He who would be greatest among you, let him become server of all.” (56.10.14)

This quote tells us that cosmic socialization is the highest form of personality unification. I'm wondering what they mean by "cosmic". Does any form of socialization function to spiritualize the personality, or is it only certain types of socialization which serve this purpose? If I go out and socialize with friends over a few beers am I just engaging in recreation, or is there spiritual value in that?

Jesus gives a hint when he says that the greatest must become the "server" of all. Does this mean that only socialization centered around service results in unification of the personality? If so, what type of social interactions come under the heading of "service". Must we engage in personal relationships with the sole purpose of doing something for one another, or is it also serviceable to simply enjoy each other's personalities without developing annoying frictions and irritations? If reversion is key to the development of these skills on Edentia, wouldn't social recreation with others, here on Urantia, serve the same purpose?

5. While attaining satisfactory socialization of the personality on intellectual and vocational levels, further perfect the ability to live in intimate contact with similar and slightly dissimilar beings
with ever-lessening irritability and ever-diminishing resentment. The reversion directors contribute much to this latter attainment through their group-play activities
. (43:8.9)

Sorry I missed your post Jessica. I didn't get to read it before posting. You wrote:

It says here that personality is nonspiritual. But by doing the required socializing, the personality can be thereby spiritualized. I say "can be" because wicked personalities can also socialize but it would not lead to spiritualization.

Are you sure that when "wicked" personalities socialize they are not becoming more spiritual by doing so; that is, if they are really socializing and not just imposing themselves on others? Doesn't it depend on the intention of the social relationship? TUB tells us that evil exists in isolation, although it does have social repercussions. Would real evil even be able to socialize, by definition? How are we defining "socialization" then?

Isn't the purpose of socialization to learn how to conform one's selfish desires (ego) to the needs of the group (service)? When a wicked person socializes, is his sole purpose to dominate other personalities and use them to obtain his selfish desires? Isn't this simply spiritual immaturity? Or is it something else? I would say that there are plenty of people like this, and some we label as having antisocial personality disorders.

So, what's the difference between social and antisocial personalities if both types are capable of having social relationships with other people? How can we tell the difference between an evil, immature personality which needs more socialization and a sinful (willfully evil) personality which needs to be separated from society?

I'm wondering if, in addition to intention, there are certain specific types of social relationships which serve to spiritualize the personality. Can it be so simple that they are those interactions with other people which force us to take ourselves less seriously, and those which encourage us to share other people's burdens as if they were our own? In that case, wouldn't social interactions between the righteous and the wicked have the potential to be fruitful in someway; or, is it just as beneficial spiritually to socialize with people you feel akin to provided you learn to subjugate your selfish desires in deference to others' needs? In other words, what has more spiritual value, socializing with the "wicked" or the righteous, or does it not even matter as long as you are socializing?

Hi Bonita, all'

The antithesis of the socialization of the personality is the isolation of personality. Jesus was never isolated from his fellows, unless he needed a rest or was up in the hills communing with God. He loved men, women and children. He was interested in everyone. He was outgoing and friendly.

Personality cannot very well perform in isolation. Man is innately a social creature; he is dominated by the craving of belongingness. It is literally true, "No man lives unto himself."
P. 1227 - §6

People gravitated to him. And he always added something fresh and inspiring to help the people who met him. He was practical and interested in others, in contrast to being interested in what he could get out of the encounter.

And when these maladjusted human beings had told Jesus about their troubles, always was he able to offer practical and immediately helpful suggestions looking toward the correction of their real difficulties, albeit he did not neglect to speak words of present comfort and immediate consolation. And invariably would he tell these distressed mortals about the love of God and impart the information, by various and sundry methods, that they were the children of this loving Father in heaven.
P. 1461 - §0

Jesus wanted to know how people lived.

Jesus did not devote all his leisure while in Rome to this work of preparing men and women to become future disciples in the oncoming kingdom. He spent much time gaining an intimate knowledge of all races and classes of men who lived in this, the largest and most cosmopolitan city of the world. In each of these numerous human contacts Jesus had a double purpose: He desired to learn their reactions to the life they were living in the flesh, and he was also minded to say or do something to make that life richer and more worth while. His religious teachings during these weeks were no different than those which characterized his later life as teacher of the twelve and preacher to the multitudes.
P. 1460 - §5

I am of the opinion that when one is truly interested in his/her fellows, one's personality has plenty of opportunity to socialize, especially when one has consecrated one's will to the doing of God's will. Jesus is our inspiration.

This Adjuster did indeed triumph in Jesus' human mind--that mind which in each of life's recurring situations maintained a consecrated dedication to the Father's will, saying, "Not my will, but yours, be done." Such decisive consecration constitutes the true passport from the limitations of human nature to the finality of divine attainment.
P. 1200 - §5

All the best,

Meredith

Hi Bonita, all,

Again, while reflecting on this topic, I come back to dangers of the isolation of personality, because isolation is not good for us. It is the opposite of the socialization of personality. We can easily see what happened to Judas, can't we?

As a result of his persistent isolation of personality, his griefs multiplied, his sorrows increased, his anxieties augmented, and his despair deepened almost beyond endurance.
P.2056 - §10

If one can recognize the tendency of isolation of personality in oneself, if such isolation exists, then we have a basis point. I think many people have varying degrees of social anxiety. We can see it in others. My intention in mentioning social anxiety and isolation of personality is as another way members of the forum can relate to the topic by way of contrast to socializing one's personality.

The confusion and turmoil of Urantia do not signify that the Paradise Rulers lack either interest or ability to manage affairs differently. The Creators are possessed of full power to make Urantia a veritable paradise, but such an Eden would not contribute to the development of those strong, noble, and experienced characters which the Gods are so surely forging out on your world between the anvils of necessity and the hammers of anguish. Your anxieties and sorrows, your trials and disappointments, are just as much a part of the divine plan on your sphere as are the exquisite perfection and infinite adaptation of all things to their supreme purpose on the worlds of the central and perfect universe.
P. 258 - §11

All the best,

Meredith

Thanks Meredith for your thoughts on this subject. I'm wondering if any leaning that one has towards isolation of personality is evil in itself or a result of evil? I am defining evil as error, the lack of truth. Truth, when present, can be acted out because it is a reality, in contrast to evil which is not reality and cannot be acted out. Does social anxiety result from evil in some form, notably errors in thinking? Can the errors of one's attitude of mind result in isolation of personality? This sort of thing happened to Judas, but his problem was not social anxiety, it was pride, a definite evil error of personality attitude.

Don't we modern people tend to treat social anxiety as a psychological illness? Might it actually be a spiritual illness? Is a spiritual illness simply spiritual immaturity which would improve with the proper type of socialization? The following quote suggests that we enter the morontia career bringing along our selfish and egoistic desires which are reformed through socialization:

The ascending morontians learn to socialize their former purely selfish longings and egoistic ambitions. (44.8.4)

Selfish and egoistic thoughts and attitudes tend toward isolation of the personality because they are immature, evil, untrue and unreal. They cannot be acted out. The process of socialization, the attempt to act out one's thoughts and attitudes may serve to filter out those that are evil and unreal because it is not possible to socialize them, therefore they eventually succumb to abandonment by the progressing personality (one who opts for what can be acted out) as it thereby becomes more real (traverses the psychic circles).

Happiness ensues from the recognition of truth because it can be
acted out
; it can be lived. Disappointment and sorrow attend upon error because, not being a reality, it cannot be realized in experience. ( p42:7  2:7.6 )

Personality reality
. The degree of selfhood reality is directly determined by circle conquest. Persons become more real as they ascend from the seventh to the first level of mortal existence. ( p1210:5  110:6.10)

This makes me believe that all types of socialization have a purpose. Socialization helps to uncover what can be acted out in reality and what cannot (truth vs. evil). So, if someone attempts to act out evil, it results in something anti-social and isolated; albeit, society suffers from the local effects of the attempt to force unreality upon it. Jesus' death on the cross was an example of this very thing and his legacy is revealing to us how to deal with it: forcing the repercussions of error to come face to face with reality, which serves to destroy it and absorb it into ultimate isolation.

Unreality, even incompleteness of creature nature, cannot exist forever in a progressively real and increasingly spiritual universe. (41:06)

Thanks Meredith for your thoughts on this subject. I'm wondering if any leaning that one has towards isolation of personality is evil in itself or a result of evil? I am defining evil as error, the lack of truth. Truth, when present, can be acted out because it is a reality, in contrast to evil which is not reality and cannot be acted out. Does social anxiety result from evil in some form, notably errors in thinking? Can the errors of one's attitude of mind result in isolation of personality? This sort of thing happened to Judas, but his problem was not social anxiety, it was pride, a definite evil error of personality attitude.

Hi Bonita, all.

Apparently Judas was mollycoddled in his upbringing.

Who knows? Is it “nature” or is it “nurture” that is behind whether or not a person is outgoing or tends to isolate? They say a good inheritance (good genes) can be spoiled by a lousy upbringing, and, a bad inheritance can be little improved by a great upbringing at least in the younger years of life. Abel was the son of both Adam and Eve. Cain was not of the pure violet race. I bring this up to show that we humans can’t really know what's behind the scenes and what factors are involved in someone's behavior. We can only guess.

The observation of Abel's conduct establishes the value of environment and education as factors in character development. Abel had an ideal inheritance, and heredity lies at the bottom of all character; but the influence of an inferior environment virtually neutralized this magnificent inheritance. Abel, especially during his younger years, was greatly influenced by his unfavorable surroundings. He would have become an entirely different person had he lived to be twenty-five or thirty; his superb inheritance would then have shown itself. While a good environment cannot contribute much toward really overcoming the character handicaps of a base heredity, a bad environment can very effectively spoil an excellent inheritance, at least during the younger years of life. Good social environment and proper education are indispensable soil and atmosphere for getting the most out of a good inheritance.
P.848 - §6

It is comforting to know that whatever physical or mental handicaps and/or challenges one may have, such as social anxiety, survival is assured when one really knows God and desires to find him and be like him.

In the cosmic evolutionary laboratories mind is always dominant over matter, and spirit is ever correlated with mind. Failure of these diverse endowments to synchronize and co-ordinate may cause time delays, but if the individual really knows God and desires to find him and become like him, then survival is assured regardless of the handicaps of time. Physical status may handicap mind, and mental perversity may delay spiritual attainment, but none of these obstacles can defeat the whole-souled choice of will.
P.740 - §1

In his discussion of the Art of Living, Rodan speaks of “personality association” and “mutual affection” as a defense against all evil.

The enhanced defense against all evil
. Personality association and mutual affection is an efficient insurance against evil. Difficulties, sorrow, disappointment, and defeat are more painful and disheartening when borne alone. Association does not transmute evil into righteousness, but it does aid in greatly lessening the sting. Said your Master, "Happy are they who mourn"--if a friend is at hand to comfort. There is positive strength in the knowledge that you live for the welfare of others, and that these others likewise live for your welfare and advancement. Man languishes in isolation. Human beings unfailingly become discouraged when they view only the transitory transactions of time. The present, when divorced from the past and the future, becomes exasperatingly trivial. Only a glimpse of the circle of eternity can inspire man to do his best and can challenge the best in him to do its utmost. And when man is thus at his best, he lives most unselfishly for the good of others, his fellow sojourners in time and eternity.
P. 1776 - §3

It's really important to get up, get out and get to know other people. It is truly helpful to be genuinely interested in other people, as opposed to being interested in self - one's own self, though self-understanding can be helpful. Preoccupation with one's own self - in a relationship- is not pleasing. In my experience with people, a large majority of the people I know are overly interested in themselves.

All the best,

Meredith

I believe that if a personality is good that any contact with personalities is spiritualizing. Just like too much isolation would serve to make a good person self-centered. Good people can spiritualize their personalities even when drinking beer together. Jesus often drank wine and made merry with people.

123:0.1"At first Mary was disposed to keep Jesus close by her side. She feared something might happen to him if he were allowed to play in the garden with the other children, but Joseph, with the assistance of his kinsfolk, was able to convince her that such a course would deprive Jesus of the helpful experience of learning how to adjust himself to children of his own age. And Mary, realizing that such a program of undue sheltering and unusual protection might tend to make him self-conscious and somewhat self-centered, finally gave assent to the plan of permitting the child of promise to grow up just like any other child; and though she was obedient to this decision, she made it her business always to be on watch while the little folks were at play about the house or in the garden(1355.1)."

On the other hand, I believe that if a personality is wicked that no amount of socializing can spiritualize it. Caligastia and Daligastia were intimate friends and partners. So was Lucifer and Satan. But that social relationship doesn't amount to spiritualization.

Wicked people are often some of the biggest partiers around. They are often considered socialites. Orgies are social events.

I think it all depends on the goodness or badness of the personality.

And never trust today's psychology regarding personality disorders. Modern psychology is not consistent with UB principles. As a first grader I was bad at math and so they labeled me as having psychological personality disorders. My mother thought taking me to a shrink would bring my math grade up. Turns out I figured out how to bring my math grade up myself as an adult. It's called going to a math tutor. After I realized I could improve my math skills by having math tutoring, I asked my mother why on earth she sent me to a psychiatrist. She apologized for one thing. But she also said she was influenced by all the personality disorder propaganda out there.

I am also very shy and shyness is always attacked by personality disorder propaganda. Shyness is a very nice quality. However, I don't let it stop me from socializing. Just like I don't let my fear of flying stop me from getting on the airplane when I need to be somewhere. I'm not shy enough to be labeled a disorder, but I have heard that there are people who absolutely shut themselves off from society because of extreme shyness, which is called social anxiety disorder. I believe that social anxiety has nutritional and physical causes too. In order for me to be around people, I have to have eaten right and drank enough water and had the proper amount of rest. Caffeine and pharmaceuticals and any kind of stimulant can also cause social anxiety. Believe it or not, gas utilities are a stimulant. That's why I always get apartments with electric utilities only. I hate the way big cities with all gas utilities and carbon monoxide make your heart pound really fast and makes people walk really fast and everyone just feels nervous. Like when you arrive in New York City, your heart just starts racing and you just feel more fearful of people. That's not psychological. That's from all the natural gas and carbon monoxide stimulation.

I don't believe that isolation is evil any more than fasting or sleep deprivation or any other kind of deprivation. Isolation is just another kind of deprivation. We humans need other human contact otherwise we will become depressed.

Babies who are not held enough will die.

I believe that if a personality is good that any contact with personalities is spiritualizing. Just like too much isolation would serve to make a good person self-centered. Good people can spiritualize their personalities even when drinking beer together. Jesus often drank wine and made merry with people.

On the other hand, I believe that if a personality is wicked that no amount of socializing can spiritualize it. Caligastia and Daligastia were intimate friends and partners. So was Lucifer and Satan. But that social relationship doesn't amount to spiritualization.

I think it all depends on the goodness or badness of the personality.

Hi MW. all,

I admit I am having trouble with your concept of the "goodness" of a personality and the "badness" of a personality. From page 9 we read,

Personality
. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.
P. 9 - §1

We are told it is within mind that we live or die. We choose or forsake the spiritual life in the mind.

Material evolution has provided you a life machine, your body; the Father himself has endowed you with the purest spirit reality known in the universe, your Thought Adjuster. But into your hands, subject to your own decisions, has been given mind, and it is by mind that you live or die. It is within this mind and with this mind that you make those moral decisions which enable you to achieve Adjusterlikeness, and that is Godlikeness.
P.1216 - §5

Socializing one's personality, "the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience," is required in order to advance. Advancement is part of the design of God, part of his plan for us. If one does not socialize one's personality, how will much fruit of the divine spirit be produced?

Any religious belief which is effective in spiritualizing the believer is certain to have powerful repercussions in the social life of such a religionist. Religious experience unfailingly yields the "fruits of the spirit" in the daily life of the spirit-led mortal.
P. 1091 - §5

All the best,

Meredith

133:3.7 Ganid, some people are really wicked at heart; they deliberately choose to do mean things, but, tell me, as you look into these now tear-stained faces, do you see anything bad or wicked (1472.6)?”

Modern psychology attacks morality saying there are no good people and there are no wicked people, only mental illness and mental wellness. The UB honors the men and women who martyred their lives for Jesus and his gospel's sake, but modern psychology and peace leaders like John Lennon would say there is nothing to kill or die for.

Yes, the UB says the rebellion started within Lucifer's mind, not his personality.

So Meredith's question is a good one. She is asking that since personality is changeless, how can a personality become good or bad? The wicked personality must have been wicked from conception then. I don't know the answer.

So Meredith's question is a good one. She is asking that since personality is changeless, how can a personality become good or bad? The wicked personality must have been wicked from conception then. I don't know the answer.

There is a difference between personality and character. All personalities are from God; they are gifts. The character of the personality is based upon moral choices. There is no such thing as a wicked personality; it is the mind which entertains wickedness and thereby develops a wicked character. A righteous character results from righteous decisions and growth of the soul.

By their fruits you shall know them
.”
personality is basically changeless; that which changes — grows — is the moral character
. The major error of modern religions is negativism. The tree which bears no fruit is “hewn down and cast into the fire.” Moral worth cannot be derived from mere repression — obeying the injunction “Thou shalt not.” Fear and shame are unworthy motivations for religious living. Religion is valid only when it reveals the fatherhood of God and enhances the brotherhood of men.

An effective philosophy of living is formed by a combination of cosmic insight and the total of one’s emotional reactions to the social and economic environment. Remember: While inherited urges cannot be fundamentally modified, emotional responses to such urges can be changed; therefore
the moral nature can be modified, character can be improved.
In the strong character emotional responses are integrated and co-ordinated, and thus is produced a unified personality. Deficient unification weakens the moral nature and engenders unhappiness. (140.4.7-4.8)

140.8.23 The one thing which John gained from this day’s teaching was that the heart of Jesus’ religion consisted in the
acquirement
of a compassionate character coupled with a personality motivated to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Goodness is a characteristic of God's and all goodness exhibited by mortal personality originates in the supermind perception of the goodness of God; therefore, goodness is technically unconscious. Even Jesus did not call himself "good". He attributed that characteristic to God, rather than himself.

And yet, despite this very deep consciousness of close relationship with divinity, this Galilean, God's Galilean, when addressed as Good Teacher, instantly replied, "Why do you call me good?" When we stand confronted by such splendid self-forgetfulness, we begin to understand how the Universal Father found it possible so fully to manifest himself to him and reveal himself through him to the mortals of the realms. (196:0.9)

He progressed from the humble status of mortal dependence which prompted him spontaneously to say to the one who called him Good Teacher, “Why do you call me good? None is good but God,” to that sublime consciousness of achieved divinity which led him to exclaim, “Which one of you convicts me of sin?” And this progressing ascent from the human to the divine was an exclusively mortal achievement. And when he had thus attained divinity, he was still the same human Jesus, the Son of Man as well as the Son of God. (196.2.2)

Jesus always insisted that true goodness must be unconscious, in bestowing charity not allowing the left hand to know what the right hand does. (140.8.26)

There is a real proof of spiritual reality in the presence of the Thought Adjuster, but the validity of this presence is not demonstrable to the external world, only to the one who thus experiences the indwelling of God. The consciousness of the Adjuster is based on the intellectual reception of truth, the
supermind perception of goodness
, and the personality motivation to love. (103.7.14)

I agree that certainly the gift of the Universal Father could not be inherently wicked. Therefore, it must be that Jesus was referring to the wicked character of the person.

And it also could be that the personality's changelessness does not imply complete immobility.

Afterall, if a personality was completely changeless, it could never spiritualize by socializing. Spiritualizing implies some kind of change because the personality becomes more spiritual than it was before.

A personality can move from one room in a house to another. It can travel to different planets. It can make different choices and do many different things. Personality is the seat of the will. I don't think we should interpret the changeless recognizability of a personality to mean that it is completely static in the universe.

Spiritualizing the personality means shifting, or transferring, the seat of identity from material to spiritual. The process of shifting the seat of identity takes place in the mind, the gateway to the soul. The type of shift and the degree of the shift determines the character of the personality. The shift toward spirit makes the character of the personality more real because the personality, by identifying with God, becomes more godlike. God is reality. All of this shifting and changing takes place within the soul, the relationship between reality and unreality, actuals and potentials, truth and error, Creator and creature.

Personality may survive mortal death with identity in the surviving soul. The Adjuster and the personality are changeless;
the relationship between them (in the soul) is nothing but change
, continuing evolution; and if this change (growth) ceased, the soul would cease. (112.0.15 13.)

The material self, the ego-entity of human identity, is dependent during the physical life on the continuing function of the material life vehicle, on the continued existence of the unbalanced equilibrium of energies and intellect which, on Urantia, has been given the name life. But selfhood of survival value, selfhood that can transcend the experience of death, is only evolved by establishing a potential
transfer of the seat of the identity of the evolving personality from the transient life vehicle — the material body — to the more enduring and immortal nature of the morontia soul and on beyond to those levels whereon the soul becomes infused with, and eventually attains the status of, spirit reality
. This actual transfer from material association to morontia identification is effected by the sincerity, persistence, and steadfastness of the God-seeking decisions of the human creature. (112.2.16)

But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of
transferring its seat of identity
from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation. (112.5.4)

Sooooo . . . . spiritualizing the personality means making it more real. The question is, how does socialization of the personality achieve this? If one's character is determined by the growth of one's soul, how does socialization achieve this?

When you once begin to find God in your soul,
presently you will begin to discover him in other men’s souls and eventually in all the creatures and creations of a mighty universe
. But what chance does the Father have to appear as a God of supreme loyalties and divine ideals in the souls of men who give little or no time to the thoughtful contemplation of such eternal realities? While the mind is not the seat of the spiritual nature, it is indeed the gateway thereto. (155.6.13)

And it also could be that the personality's changelessness does not imply complete immobility.

Afterall, if a personality was completely changeless, it could never spiritualize by socializing. Spiritualizing implies some kind of change because the personality becomes more spiritual than it was before.

A personality can move from one room in a house to another. It can travel to different planets. It can make different choices and do many different things. Personality is the seat of the will. I don't think we should interpret the changeless recognizability of a personality to mean that it is completely static in the universe.

Dear MW, all,

This might help in our mutual understanding of personality:

During the life in the flesh the evolving soul is enabled to reinforce the supermaterial decisions of the mortal mind. The soul, being supermaterial, does not of itself function on the material level of human experience. Neither can this subspiritual soul, without the collaboration of some spirit of Deity, such as the Adjuster, function above the morontia level. Neither does the soul make final decisions until death or translation divorces it from material association with the mortal mind except when and as this material mind delegates such authority freely and willingly to such a morontia soul of associated function.
During life the mortal will, the personality power of decision-choice, is resident in the material mind circuits; as terrestrial mortal growth proceeds, this self, with its priceless powers of choice, becomes increasingly identified with the emerging morontia-soul entity; after death and following the mansion world resurrection, the human personality is completely identified with the morontia self. The soul is thus the embryo of the future morontia vehicle of personality identity
P. 1219 - §1

Personality needs a vehicle. The soul needs a vehicle too. The "movement" or "mobility"of personality of which you speak may pertain to the power of decision-choice resident in the material mind circuits. Isn't this also called "growth"?

All the best,

Meredith

Allow me to ask again: How does socialization of the personality change one's character? Is character growth the same as soul growth?

It looks to me that the "pressure from above", which most people here seem to think means the book called Urantia, is actually the pressure from each person's Adjuster to socialize his or her personality. Socialization of the personality is the means by which we learn to recognize the presence of God in other personalities. The most important thing we can do as Urantia Book readers is not spread the book, but spread our personalities. And even more important than that is dedication to the growth of personal spiritual insight through prayer/meditation and worship.

Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while
enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.
(52.6.7 5.)

When you once begin to find God in your soul, presently you will begin to discover him in other men’s souls
and eventually in all the creatures and creations of a mighty universe. But what chance does the Father have to appear as a God of supreme loyalties and divine ideals in the souls of men who give little or no time to the thoughtful contemplation of such eternal realities? While the mind is not the seat of the spiritual nature, it is indeed the gateway thereto. (155.6.13)

But here's what I really want to know: Does any type of socialization serve this purpose? For instance, if my only socialization of the day comes from a telemarketer, should I grab that opportunity to be friendly and understanding? Is that enough to help my soul? Say I also go out to the supermarket and strike up a chat with the deli person and the checkout clerk, is that socialization? Or do I have to engage the other personality in something more substantial in order for it to count? Can I go out to dinner with friends and yuck it up and still be socializing my personality, or do I have to listen to someone tell a sob story and offer consolation or help in order for it to count towards soul growth?

Should I even worry about what constitutes socialization in the eyes of the universe and just go about being as friendly as I possibly can at all times and in all circumstances? I'm thinking that any type of socialization is useful in growing a gracious character. It takes experience with all types of people and all types of circumstances in order to do this. Jesus was a relaxed personality who socialized with everyone in all sorts of circumstances. He did not go out looking for meaningful social encounters; what he had was the ability to recognize them when they came to him; and, he knew exactly how to respond to the "pressure from above" which was appropriate for the situation and the personalities involved.

I do think that exposure to other personalities in as many and varied situations as possible is a critical feature of soul growth and circle attainment (Adjuster attunement and personality realization). Some social relationships result in more critical decisions than others, but repetition of decisions is equally as important. I also believe that the supremacy of a decision is determined by the impact such a decision has on others, the most supreme being the one that results in the least amount of emphasis on the self and the most emphasis on other selves. In other words, the most "socialized" decision results in the most spiritualization of the personality. (Being careful not to confuse political socialism with the word "socialized".)

Every decision you make either impedes or facilitates the function of the Adjuster; likewise do these very decisions determine your advancement in the circles of human achievement. It is true that the supremacy of a decision, its crisis relationship, has a great deal to do with its circle-making influence; nevertheless, numbers of decisions, frequent repetitions, persistent repetitions, are also essential to the habit-forming certainty of such reactions. (110.6.6)

But here's what I really want to know: Does any type of socialization serve this purpose? For instance, if my only socialization of the day comes from a telemarketer, should I grab that opportunity to be friendly and understanding? Is that enough to help my soul? Say I also go out to the supermarket and strike up a chat with the deli person and the checkout clerk, is that socialization? Or do I have to engage the other personality in something more substantial in order for it to count? Can I go out to dinner with friends and yuck it up and still be socializing my personality, or do I have to listen to someone tell a sob story and offer consolation or help in order for it to count towards soul growth?

Should I even worry about what constitutes socialization in the eyes of the universe and just go about being as friendly as I possibly can at all times and in all circumstances? I'm thinking that any type of socialization is useful in growing a gracious character. It takes experience with all types of people and all types of circumstances in order to do this. Jesus was a relaxed personality who socialized with everyone in all sorts of circumstances. He did not go out looking for meaningful social encounters; what he had was the ability to recognize them when they came to him; and, he knew exactly how to respond to the "pressure from above" which was appropriate for the situation and the personalities involved.

Hi Bonita, all,

In answer to part of your inquiry, “Should I even worry about what constitutes socialization in the eyes of the universe and just go about being as friendly as I possibly can at all times and in all circumstances?”, I say why worry? Why not be as friendly as you can in every circumstance? I think friendliness should be a habit of living. I believe it is impossible to know with absolute certainty the consequences of friendliness, no matter how apparently trivial the encounter may seem. However, a true relationship is an end in itself. Jessica cited part of this paragraph in previous post.

All mortal concepts of reality are based on the assumption of the actuality of human personality; all concepts of superhuman realities are based on the experience of the human personality with and in the cosmic realities of certain associated spiritual entities and divine personalities.
Everything nonspiritual in human experience, excepting personality, is a means to an end. Every true relationship of mortal man with other persons--human or divine--is an end in itself.
And such fellowship with the personality of Deity is the eternal goal of universe ascension.
P. 1228 - §3

Jesus cautioned the seventy evangelists, whom he ordained to be teachers and preachers, to be wise and gentle in their efforts to go about proclaiming peace on earth and good will among men.

Remember, as you go forth proclaiming peace on earth and good will among men, you must contend with bitter and self-deceived enemies; therefore be as wise as serpents while you are also as harmless as doves.
P. 1801 - §0

In my opinion this is easily applied to any situation involving others, not just teaching and preaching. A telemarketer is doing a job and getting paid for it. I doubt any of us would begrudge a person for being employed. So I would suggest in dealing with telemarketers, for example, that one handle such encounters in a businesslike and polite manner.

Perhaps the "pressure from above" refers to the work of one's TA in conjunction with the Spirit of Truth. The Urantia Book is not a person, therefore one can not have a relationship with it.

All the best,

Meredith

Thanks Meredith,

So, do you think that only true relationships serve to socialize the personality or do you think that all person-to-person interactions have the potential to socialize the personality, trivial or otherwise? If only true relationships count, what are true relationships?

Do you think that perhaps the seeds of spiritual fruit, which are sown in the soul by the relationship between the Adjuster and the personality, must be socialized in order to actually become fruit? Isn't the actual engagement of the personality in living situations with others the soil in which fruits are born? I'm convinced that we cannot manufacture these relationships, but must allow them to occur according to God's will, wherever and whenever he chooses. Isn't this the job of the angels who manipulate the social environment for our spiritual growth?

Seraphim are mind stimulators; they continually seek to promote circle-making decisions in human mind. They do this, not as does the Adjuster, operating from within and through the soul, but rather from the outside inward, working through the social, ethical, and moral environment of human beings. (p1245:1 113:4.1)

Over the past several years I've developed the opinion that I should labor to maintain a frame of mind and attitude of personality which is always willing to actively pursue socialization. I've struggled to find a balance between a quiet, submissive, passive God seeking attitude and an active, spirit enacting, joy producing attitude that is required for building true relationships.

I've also come to the conclusion that preaching and teaching are not as important as sharing my personality with others. If the character of my personality adequately reflects what I've learned of the Father's character and I likewise allow him to use my personality to his liking, then that qualifies as service, socialization and spiritualization of my personality. I could be wrong though.

Yes, I see that while the personality and the Adjuster are changeless, they are not fixed or static. They don't mean to infer that the personality and adjuster never do anything new. Spiritualization through socializing and the process of becoming more real is proof of that. The adjuster gains experience and fuses. But I think we all know what they mean by changeless. It doesn't bother me personally.

So just read my post over again and refer to wickedness and goodness as traits of character. Whether or not socializing spiritualizes the personality depends on the good character or wicked character. A wicked character can't spiritualize through orgies even though it may be highly social.

To answer Bonita's question about chatting with the deli guy or a telemarketer, I believe that it is vital to our spiritual growwth to be able to make light chit chat. It is vital to be able to discuss the weather, food, etc.

People will freak out and run away from someone who never talks normal. If everything you say has to be some deep issue, you will frighten the neighborhood. That's called fanaticism. Jesus was never fanatical. He could stop a deep sermon to discuss great lunch ideas.

FYI, I hang up on telemarketers.

Is character growth the same as soul growth?

Hi Bonita, all,

Regarding one of your other questions, “Is character growth the same as soul growth,” we could benefit from studying something about “soul” and “character.” Here’s the UB definition of “soul” from page 8.

Soul
. The soul of man is an experiential acquirement. As a mortal creature chooses to "do the will of the Father in heaven," so the indwelling spirit becomes the father of a
new reality
in human experience. The mortal and material mind is the mother of this same emerging reality. The substance of this new reality is neither material nor spiritual--it is
morontial
. This is the emerging and immortal soul which is destined to survive mortal death and begin the Paradise ascension.
P.8 - §10

“Character” is the identity of a person that can be improved upon, in contrast to God’s character which is unchanging (P. 57).

The secrets of Ascendington
include the mystery of the gradual and certain building up in the material and mortal mind of a spiritual and potentially immortal counterpart of character and identity. This phenomenon constitutes one of the most perplexing mysteries of the universes--the evolution of an immortal soul within the mind of a mortal and material creature.
P.147 - §3

And here is another clue about “character.” Said Jesus:

“Let every man make sure that the intellectual and moral foundations
of character
are such as will adequately support the superstructure of the enlarging and ennobling spiritual nature, which is thus to transform the mortal mind and then, in association with that re-created mind, is to achieve the evolvement of the soul of immortal destiny. Your spirit nature--
the jointly created soul
--is a living growth, but the mind and morals of the individual are the soil from which these higher manifestations of human development and divine destiny must spring. The soil of the evolving soul is human and material, but the destiny of this combined creature of mind and spirit is spiritual and divine."
P. 1738 - §1

The intellectual and moral foundations of character are to adequately support the enlarging and ennobling spiritual nature - the jointly created soul. It seems to me “soul” and “character” are not the same. What do you think? Does the “soul” produce fruits of the divine spirit?

The flesh, the inherent nature derived from the animal-origin races, does not naturally bear the fruits of the divine Spirit. When the mortal nature has been upstepped by the addition of the nature of the Material Sons of God, as the Urantia races were in a measure advanced by the bestowal of Adam, then is
the way better prepared for the Spirit of Truth to co-operate with the indwelling Adjuster to bring forth the beautiful harvest of
the character fruits of the spirit
. If you do not reject this spirit, even though eternity may be required to fulfill the commission, "he will guide you into all truth."
P. 382 - §1

All the best,

Meredith

So, do you think that only true relationships serve to socialize the personality or do you think that all person-to-person interactions have the potential to socialize the personality, trivial or otherwise? If only true relationships count, what are true relationships?

Do you think that perhaps the seeds of spiritual fruit, which are sown in the soul by the relationship between the Adjuster and the personality, must be socialized in order to actually become fruit? Isn't the actual engagement of the personality in living situations with others the soil in which fruits are born? I'm convinced that we cannot manufacture these relationships, but must allow them to occur according to God's will, wherever and whenever he chooses. Isn't this the job of the angels who manipulate the social environment for our spiritual growth?

Hi Bonita, all,

Spiritual fruit is an outcome. Jesus said, “By their fruits you shall know them.” (P. 65; 1571; 1572) One can’t know another person by a single encounter, nor can another person know you. It’s a process, one that takes lifetimes and more, to get to the shores of Paradise, there to meet Giver of Personality, the Father of Fathers. He wants us to produce much fruit of the divine Spirit by serving our brethren in accordance with his will.

Jesus said in part, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit.” (P. 1945)

We are to bear much fruit of the divine spirit, and we bear this fruit by personality association with our fellows. When we minister to the least of our brethren, we do this service also to Jesus.

"You cannot stand still in the affairs of the eternal kingdom. My Father requires all his children to grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. You who know these truths must yield the increase of the fruits of the spirit and manifest a growing devotion to the unselfish service of your fellow servants. And remember that, inasmuch as you minister to one of the least of my brethren, you have done this service to me.”
P. 1917 - §1

Jesus is the true vine and we are some of his branches. As you can read in this next selection, the branches exists only for, and can do nothing except, fruit bearing. The non-fruit bearing branches will be cut away. The fruit of the spirit referred to below is: to love man as we have been loved by God --that we should love one another, even as Jesus has loved us.

When there exists this living connection between divinity and humanity, if humanity should thoughtlessly and ignorantly pray for selfish ease and vainglorious accomplishments, there could be only one divine answer: more and increased bearing of the fruits of the spirit on the stems of the living branches. When the branch of the vine is alive, there can be only one answer to all its petitions: increased grape bearing. In fact,
the branch exists only for, and can do nothing except, fruit bearing
, yielding grapes. So does the true believer exist only for the purpose of bearing the fruits of the spirit: to love man as he himself has been loved by God--that we should love one another, even as Jesus has loved us.
P. 1946 - §3

We can’t love one another, nor love anyone else, unless we avail ourselves of opportunities to associate with others. I think the whole ascension scheme of spiritual progression is all about personality association, teamwork, relationships and whatever else God has in store for us. What do you think?

All the best,

Meredith

Hi Meredith,

You ask what I think. I'll tell you what I think. I think that it is marvelous that you and Jessica are willing to discuss this topic. Thanks to both of you. I wish more were interested in this topic and brave enough to post their thoughts.

As to the question of whether character growth and soul growth are the same, I've looked at a few quotes and am convinced that the two are inextricably linked together. One cannot have soul growth without character growth. Likewise, I believe that the moral character cannot grow unless there is an ability to access one's spirit nature within the soul. When the Adjuster chooses a mortal mind to indwell, he considers both the intellectual and spiritual potential of that individual because they need to be combined in order to produce a strong character which will contribute to the evolution of the soul.

108:1.6 3.Combined intellectual and spiritual powers. The degree to which these two endowments may possibly be associated, combined, so as to produce strength of human character and contribute to the certain evolution of an immortal soul of survival value.

We see in the case of Judas that a lack of growth in character resulted in a lack of growth of the soul.

139.12.8  This is just the reason why Jesus permitted Judas to go on to the very end, always doing everything possible to transform and save this weak and confused apostle. But when light is not honestly received and lived up to, it tends to become darkness within the soul. Judas grew intellectually regarding Jesus’ teachings about the kingdom, but he did not make progress in the acquirement of spiritual character as did the other apostles. He failed to make satisfactory personal progress in spiritual experience.

Character growth requires that one respond to the recognition of truth within the soul, again linking the two.

152.6.4  Jesus taught the appeal to the emotions as the technique of arresting and focusing the intellectual attention. He designated the mind thus aroused and quickened as the gateway to the soul, where there resides that spiritual nature of man which must recognize truth and respond to the spiritual appeal of the gospel in order to afford the permanent results of true character transformations.

In the following quote, Jesus links the soul and the character of the personality together, stating that the moral character is the soil in which the soul grows, more or less agreeing with my first quote that implies that moral character of the personality must opt first before the soul can actually grow.

156.5.2 Let every man make sure that the intellectual and moral foundations of character are such as will adequately support the superstructure of the enlarging and ennobling spiritual nature, which is thus to transform the mortal mind and then, in association with that re-created mind, is to achieve the evolvement of the soul of immortal destiny. Your spirit nature — the jointly created soul — is a living growth, but the mind and morals of the individual are the soil from which these higher manifestations of human development and divine destiny must spring. The soil of the evolving soul is human and material, but the destiny of this combined creature of mind and spirit is spiritual and divine.

And finally, we again see that the character and the soul are linked in the following quote which also gives us ways to objectively measure the growth of each. For the soul we measure faith and love; for the character we measure our reactions to evil in our social environment. (Is there fruit or no fruit?).

156.5.17  The measure of the spiritual capacity of the evolving soul is your faith in truth and your love for man, but the measure of your human strength of character is your ability to resist the holding of grudges and your capacity to withstand brooding in the face of deep sorrow. Defeat is the true mirror in which you may honestly view your real self.

In a way, the character of the personality is proof of the existence of the soul. The moral character contributes to the growth of the soul and the fruit that grows within the soul is borne out when the personality chooses to engage in socializing itself thereby utilizing its divine character. That's how we recognize the divine character of a personality, by the fruit and fragrance derived from its source, which is the soul and the spirit of God within it.

I was just thinking about the difference between character and soul also. I gathered that the character is a combination of personality characteristics. Think of Johnny Depp playing the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

Johnny is the personality. The hatter is one of his characters. The soul is a new body/vehicle that will replace Johnny's physical body upon his death. The soul will be the new body for Johnny and all of his characters.

And the mansion worlds are going to look like Wonderland. All kinds of strange personages are going to be talking to us and leading us around. You will have to forgive me. I'm in one of my moods today.

The questions I am asking concerning socialization of the personality essentially come down to the development of a religious philosophy of living.

140.4.8 An effective philosophy of living is formed by a combination of cosmic insight and the
total of one’s emotional reactions to the social and economic environment
. Remember: While inherited urges cannot be fundamentally modified, emotional responses to such urges can be changed; therefore the moral nature can be modified, character can be improved. In the strong character emotional responses are integrated and co-ordinated, and thus is produced a unified personality. Deficient unification weakens the moral nature and engenders unhappiness.

I think that any kind of socialization serves to separate the wheat from the chaff concerning the growth of character. If a divine character is basically an unselfish character, then in order to develop such a character, one must be willing to undergo a continuous and living re-adaptation of one's character as it relates to other personalities. This is done with the help of the Spirit of Truth, the only person capable of separating the wheat from the chaff in any circumstance; that is, he reveals the true value in any situation and helps us to eliminate the error in every relationship such that the most love is expressed resulting in the highest good.

180:5.10-11 Love, unselfishness, must undergo a constant and living readaptative interpretation of relationships in accordance with the leading of the Spirit of Truth.
Love must thereby grasp the ever-changing and enlarging concepts of the highest cosmic good of the individual who is loved.
And then love goes on to strike this same attitude concerning all other individuals who could possibly be influenced by the growing and living relationship of one spirit-led mortal's love for other citizens of the universe. And this entire living adaptation of love must be effected in the light of both the environment of present evil and the eternal goal of the perfection of divine destiny.

And so must we clearly recognize that neither the golden rule nor the teaching of nonresistance can ever be properly understood as dogmas or precepts. They can only be comprehended by living them, by realizing their meanings in the living interpretation of the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.

135.7.2 And he went on to say: “There will come after me one who is greater than I, whose sandal straps I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
And his shovel is in his hand thoroughly to cleanse his threshing floor; he will gather the wheat into his garner, but the chaff will he burn up with the judgment fire.

Moreover, the Adjuster is the custodian of character. The guardian angel is the custodian of the soul after mortal death; but during life, the Adjuster, the nucleus of one's personality, is also the co-creator and divine guide for the soul, facts that inextricably marry the two, character and soul.

110.1.2 The Adjusters are loving leaders, your safe and sure guides through the dark and uncertain mazes of your short earthly career; they are the patient teachers who so constantly urge their subjects forward in the paths of progressive perfection.
They are the careful custodians of the sublime values of creature character.
I wish you could love them more, co-operate with them more fully, and cherish them more affectionately.

108.6.4 The adjuster is the wellspring of spiritual attainment and the
hope of divine character within you

196.3.6 There is a
spirit nucleus in the mind of man — the Adjuster
of the divine presence.

In the following quote, we also learn that the Adjuster actually works to build our character and equates the character of the personality with the soul, which is also built by the Adjuster with cooperation from the personality, again making the soul and one's character inseparable.

111.2.2  The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of
a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings — a surviving soul
of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

I'm personally deep within the process (mostly unconscious) of evolving a philosophy of living, and I've come to realize that socialization is at the crux of that evolution. For the most part I find myself arguing with my spirit over this, finding excuses, procrastinating and manipulating time delays for having to deal with the real issues of socialization. During meditative discussions with the spirit influences within me, I've learned that at the heart of every social interaction, there lies a kernel of wheat which I frequently fail to allow to be threshed out. I am so often overwhelmed by the chaff and tend to hold onto it as though it were precious, not realizing that it is the stuff that really needs to be discarded. Because of this, I fail to see the truth, beauty and goodness buried by it. Let me tell you the truth: the only thing that prevents the instant recognition of the brotherhood of man is this chaff and our preoccupation with it.

I've also just recently learned that the chaff, when threshed out and examined, turns out to be all the selfish qualities of love, most of which I was unable to recognize as selfish at the time. I am learning now how to immediately recognize error in my socialization. What will take some time for me is learning how to allow the Spirit of Truth to thresh out my errors and help me to recognize the true value in every relationship, the kernel of wheat, such that the most genuine love is expressed.

I find that my angels are very diligent in manipulating my social environment in a way to help me see the wheat, yet I often wrangle my way out of the very hard social situations and avoid the opportunities they so carefully and lovingly arrange for me. It has been very, very recent that I've come to understand their persistence over what seems to be petty nuisances to me. It turns out that they are often the most valuable social interactions of all. I am now also convinced that the reason Jesus came to the point of fusion with his Adjuster when he did is because he was so willing to follow the Father's will in doing what looked like a trifling social responsibility on the outside, submitting to baptism, which, in actuality, had exceptional repercussions for goodness.

I think that any kind of socialization serves to separate the wheat from the chaff concerning the growth of character. If a divine character is basically an unselfish character, then in order to develop such a character, one must be willing to undergo a continuous and living re-adaptation of one's character as it relates to other personalities. This is done with the help of the Spirit of Truth, the only person capable of separating the wheat from the chaff in any circumstance; that is, he reveals the true value in any situation and helps us to eliminate the error in every relationship such that the most love is expressed resulting in the highest good.

In the following quote, we also learn that the Adjuster actually works to build our character and equates the character of the personality with the soul, which is also built by the Adjuster with cooperation from the personality, again making the soul and one's character inseparable.

111.2.2  The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of
a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings — a surviving soul
of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

Hi Jessica, Bonita, all,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've been thinking too, about something along the same lines as the both of you.

I’m trying to integrate in my mind my understanding (at least up to this point in time) of “personality” (that which does not change), of “character” (that which does change) and of “soul” ( a growing, and therefore changing, new reality) in human experience. And they are interrelated.

The material self has personality and identity, temporal identity; the prepersonal spirit Adjuster also has identity, eternal identity. This material personality and this spirit prepersonality are capable of so uniting their creative attributes as to bring into existence the surviving identity of the immortal soul.
P.71 - §2

The Thought Adjuster is also changeless:

13. Personality may survive mortal death with identity in the surviving soul. The Adjuster and the personality are changeless; the relationship between them (in the soul) is nothing but change, continuing evolution; and if this change (growth) ceased, the soul would cease.
P.1226 - §3

Bonita has asked, “How does socialization of the personality change one's character?” To find a reasonable answer, I ask myself, what is personality? And I’ve asked this question for years. Maybe “personality” is, figuratively speaking, a functional “DNA” of God, gifted to mortal creatures. Each person is given one and it’s unique, as there are no duplicates in infinity. As a class or order of being, we humans are known as one of the Ascending Orders. (P. 331) One can easily imagine each of the orders of personality (Paper 30) reflects a unique personality pattern, a sort of identifying “DNA.” In our case, we are of the series denominated Adjuster-fused Mortals.

Personalities may be similar, but they are never the same. Persons of a given series, type, order, or pattern may and do resemble one another, but they are never identical. Personality is that feature of an individual which we
know
, and which enables us to identify such a being at some future time regardless of the nature and extent of changes in form, mind, or spirit status. Personality is that part of any individual which enables us to recognize and positively identify that person as the one we have previously known, no matter how much he may have changed because of the modification of the vehicle of expression and manifestation of his personality.
P. 194 - §4

What a mystery is personality! It does not change. It unifies all other associated factors of individuality. (P. 9 - §1) “Personality inherently reaches out to unify all constituent realities.” (P. 640) The factors of individuality of which they speak must be “character” and “soul” which do change and grow, must change and grow. “Personality” unifies these relationships and becomes a kind of spiritual signature. Change and growth are based on decisions, many decisions, which have to be consummated in action.

What man himself takes with him as a personality possession are the character consequences of the experience of having used the mind and spirit circuits of the grand universe in his Paradise ascent. When man decides, and when he consummates this decision in action, man experiences, and the meanings and the values of this experience are forever a part of his eternal character on all levels, from the finite to the final.
Cosmically moral and divinely spiritual character represents the creature's capital accumulation of personal decisions which have been illuminated by sincere worship, glorified by intelligent love, and consummated in brotherly service
P. 1287 - §4

In the human system it is the personality which unifies all activities and in turn imparts the qualities of identity and creativity.
P. 1227 - §9

. . . mortal personality unifies the human experience with matter, mind, and spirit. . . .
P. 647 - §6

It stands to reason that to achieve personality unification, one must experience many interpersonal relationships, as these experiences provide the socializing soil for character changes. “Character” can be disciplined, modified, strengthened, developed, perfected, ennobled, spiritualized, balanced, transmuted, and probably more.

All the best,

Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert