Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Teobeck

The Will of God

I can't thank you all enough for these insights, especially remembering what Jesus went through raising his family, TUB quotes, the Therese quotes, and your personal experiences. I have s very strong tendency to take isolated quotes very seriously, sometimes without getting the bigger picture they hit me so hard. That's why these forums are like a church, a body of believers, who can share their understandings, and help others. Thanks again from the heart.

People should get it out of their heads that the only way to serve God is to sell everything you own, put on sandals and roam around the world in search of lost souls. PLEASE PUT THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD. It's wrong . . . very, very wrong. It's a romantic, day-dreamy notion not based in reality.

:) Yes, Bonita is so right. You have to wear beach sandals and go door to door on a ten speed otherwise we don't fit the image of service that we hold in our minds. It is pretty silly of us. There's no way I could be a UB missionary in my current position and status either. Although I do know of one guy who does this in Asia.

THE FRUIT OF FAITH IS LOVE,

AND THE FRUIT OF LOVE IS SERVICE

Quality Not Quantity

'' but the quality of unselfishness revealed in disinterested labor for the welfare of one’s earthly fellows, particularly worthy beings in need and in distress, that is the real measure of planetary greatness.''

ITS IN THE {Quality} of {Unselfishness } revealed

By Our Personal Labor of Love .

''If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one. ''

Mother Teresa

She Was A Faith Daughter of SELFLESS SERVICE.

MORE Than just an Example , A True Inspiration .

She Was A '' Get er Done '' Gal

LOVE ONE ANOTHER

John 13:34-35 (Amplified Bible)

I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.

35 By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves].

mother_teresa_love.jpg1

Edited by Coop

I'd say that Mother Teresa is the archetypal servant. She abandoned all worldliness to enter a convent and then spent her life ministering to the poorest of the poor. She did what she was called to do and did it with perfection. However, we are not all called to give up worldliness and minister to the poor. Each of us has his/her own calling and it is imperative that we learn what it is and respond with grace.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. Jalal Al-din Rumi

The Adjuster is always calling to us, asking us to fulfill his plan of destiny which has been preordained.

p1204:5  110:2.1  When Thought Adjusters indwell human minds, they bring with them the model careers, the ideal lives, as determined and foreordained by themselves and the Personalized Adjusters of Divinington, which have been certified by the Personalized Adjuster of Urantia. Thus they begin work with a definite and predetermined plan for the intellectual and spiritual development of their human subjects, but it is not incumbent upon any human being to accept this plan. You are all subjects of predestination, but it is not foreordained that you must accept this divine predestination; you are at full liberty to reject any part or all of the Thought Adjusters' program.

To discover the beauty we love is to discover the beauty that is within us. We are entrusted with inner beauty and it is our job to display that beauty in our lives in the form of grace. Each of us is given an abundance of love to nourish our one talent, we are to use that love to grow in grace following the life of Jesus as our guide, which is embodied in the living Spirit of Truth.

p1917:1 176:3.5 "To every one who has, more shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him who has not, even that which he has shall be taken away. You cannot stand still in the affairs of the eternal kingdom. My Father requires all his children to grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. You who know these truths must yield the increase of the fruits of the spirit and manifest a growing devotion to the unselfish service of your fellow servants. And remember that, inasmuch as you minister to one of the least of my brethren, you have done this service to me.

Our mission is to convey God's love -- not a dead God but a living God, a God of love. Mother Teresa

We can administer only to what we see as a problem. Most of us cannot see the problems even when they are right in front of us. The way to open our eyes is through prayer and the growth of spiritual insight. Then, we are able to see with the eyes of Jesus and wisely discern another's need.

140.3.18 If you would guide others into the kingdom, you must yourselves walk in the clear light of living truth.

People are hungry for God. People are hungry for love. Are we aware of that? Do we know that? Do we see that? Do we have eyes to see? Quite often we look but we don't see. We are all just passing through this world. We need to open our eyes and see.

Since we cannot see Christ, we cannot express our love to Him. But we do see our neighbor, and we can do for him what we would do for Christ if He were visible. Let us be open to God, so that He can use us. Let us put love into action. Let us begin with our family, with our closest neighbors. It is difficult, but that is where our work begins. We are collaborators with Christ, fertile branches on the vine. Mother Teresa, No Greater Love

155.3.4 Increasingly they learned from Jesus to look upon human personalities in terms of their possibilities in time and in eternity. They learned that many souls can best be led to love the unseen God by being first taught to love their brethren whom they can see. And it was in this connection that new meaning became attached to the Master’s pronouncement concerning unselfish service for one’s fellows: “Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me.”

p1431:01 "To become acquainted with one's brothers and sisters, to know their problems and to learn to love them, is the supreme experience of living."

Are we, then, "student teachers" of our brethren, Bonita?

Imperfectly, we strive to learn, grow, walk, and serve others - inspired by Christ Michael (and unique souls like Mother Teresa), toward that divine ideal of selfless love. Save, serve, and teach, as we ourselves learn the ideals of Sonship and salvation? Can I do that? Is it possible to obtain salvation ourselves by becoming "...saviors on Mount Zion..." [Obadiah 1:21] for our lost brothers and sisters?" Can it be the way to discover & learn the true will of God is by showing it to another, however imperfectly? Is losing oneself in the effort to save another the genuine expression of "... Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." [John 15:13] Not dying, but giving up selfishness, safety, comfort, and even home, family, and friends in order to manifest soul-saving mercy to a lost brother or sister? Dying is easy; but I feel that living for another is so much more of a genuine sacrifice that would be acceptable to Heavenly Father.

Have I got it at least partly right?

"JR" Sherrod

Have I got it at least partly right?

Hi JR,

I'm not sure that I can tell you if you are right or wrong. I believe that we all interpret truth according to our inner guide and our life experience. What is right for me may not be exactly right for you. But I love to spout off my opinions and share my views, for whatever they are worth, so thanks for asking.

I guess "student teacher" might be a good way to describe what we truth-seekers are asked to do. I know that I have been given multiple opportunities to be just that and have flubbed it every time. I learn more from my mistakes than I do from actually teaching anything. And I use the word "teach" very loosely. I prefer to think of it as "demonstrate by doing and being", if that makes sense. But that requires a certain amount of faith and trust that I am actually doing and being what is required at the time, and sometimes I lack the self-confidence, or maybe courage, to let the inner light shine. It has become easier as I get older. I no longer have the energy to resist the truth anymore; it takes too much thought to come up with the excuses.

I am not concerned about saving other people. It has never been an interest of mine. No matter how hard I try to stir up that kind of passion in myself, it dies on the vine because it is not true for me. I am not called to be a missionary, an evangelist or preacher in the commonly understood way. But metaphorically speaking, yes I think dying to the self and living for others is the key. What that means to me is that when an impulse surfaces within me to do something for someone else which interferes with my self-interest, I must give up that self-interest in favor of the more altruistic impulse.

This is not as easy as it seems, but I know that the more conflicted I am about something, the greater the chances are that I am being taught something by God himself. There are things deep down inside of me that I don't want to give up when asked. Most of the time I'm hardly even aware of what they are, but I cling to them like a toddler does to a nappy. These things/ideas are not always obviously selfish to me; I tend to see the selfishness only in hindsight. It sometimes takes great faith and trust to let go of these deeply imbedded inner urges of self-preservation and to step out over the abyss into God's loving arms in order to serve. These are baby steps but they seem monumental to me at times. You simply cannot put your foot out into the empty space of the chasm between self-preservation toward self-forgetfulness without complete trust that you will survive, that you will not plunge into the abyss. It is terrifying if there is any truth or realty to it.

There can be no spiritual growth without moral conflict. (p1131) Knowing that, it does no good to me or anyone else if I go about hunting for altruistic ways to express myself because I will inevitably find the easiest way to do that, then pat myself on the back. The only altruism that really counts for me is the one that is asked of me which requires that I relinquish my hold on something precious to me. I'm not talking about things or money here (although they count too); I'm talking about giving up my personal security and comfort, forgetting about my personal needs and wants, forgetting about myself altogether and stepping out into empty space where I take nothing along with me but faith and trust in Truth.

Jesus never taught self-sacrifice; he taught self-forgetfulness. In a way, I think "dying to the self" might be another way to say "forgetting the self". Living for others is a positive and spiritually aggressive way to say the same thing. But I think it is wrong to think that the self has no importance. Jesus also taught a sublime self-respect. I think that there is sometimes confusion about the "self". We tend to think of the self as the ego and we have been taught that the word "ego" represents the selfish part of ourselves. That is not exactly true. The self has rights just as does the "other-than-self", and God takes that into consideration when asking us to do his will, always putting more emphasis on the outgoing circle of love. But first, we must love ourselves as God loves us, we are the temples of God, and then we attempt to love others in the way that God has taught us his love. This is the crux of the Golden Rule which Jesus upstepped by saying, “When I invite you to love one another, even as I have loved you, I hold up before you the supreme measure of true affection, for greater love can no man have than this: that he will lay down his life for his friends. "

p1134:03 Human happiness is achieved only when the ego desire of the self and the altruistic urge of the higher self (divine spirit)
are co-ordinated and reconciled
by the unified will of the integrating and supervising personality.

p 1131 The Thought Adjuster does not disregard the personality values of the egoistic motive but does operate to place a
slight preference upon the altruistic impulse
as leading to the goal of human happiness and to the joys of the kingdom of heaven. When a moral being chooses to be unselfish
when confronted by the urge to be selfish
, that is primitive religious experience.

p1951:1 180:5.12 And all this clearly indicates the difference between the old religion and the new. The old religion taught self-sacrifice; the new religion teaches only
self-forgetfulness, enhanced self-realization
in conjoined social service and universe comprehension.