Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Teobeck

The Will of God

I have been researching this topic again lately, as I believe this is the core of TUB and Jesus' teachings as being paramount to one's salvation. I found seven sections on point as to the Father, and three about Jesus which relate the best as to Jesus being a revelation of the Father. These sections together are the best explanations I have ever found anywhere. I was never able to do this as completely with just the Bible.

This issue has always been a source of confusion for most Christians, but these quotes should help anyone understand God's will a little better.

130.2.7 This was a conference which lasted well into the night, in the course of which the young man requested Jesus to tell him the difference between the will of God and that human mind act of choosing which is also called will. In substance Jesus said: The will of God is the way of God, partnership with the choice of God in the face of any potential alternative. To do the will of God, therefore, is the progressive experience of becoming more and more like God, and God is the source and destiny of all that is good and beautiful and true. The will of man is the way of man, the sum and substance of that which the mortal chooses to be and do. Will is the deliberate choice of a self-conscious being which leads to decision-conduct based on intelligent reflection.

3.6.2 The sovereignty of God is unlimited; it is the fundamental fact of all creation. The universe was not inevitable. The universe is not an accident, neither is it self-existent. The universe is a work of creation and is therefore wholly subject to the will of the Creator. The will of God is divine truth, living love; therefore are the perfecting creations of the evolutionary universes characterized by goodness — nearness to divinity; by potential evil — remoteness from divinity.

111.5.1 5. THE CONSECRATION OF CHOICE The doing of the will of God is nothing more or less than an exhibition of creature willingness to share the inner life with God — with the very God who has made such a creature life of inner meaning-value possible. Sharing is Godlike — divine. God shares all with the Eternal Son and the Infinite Spirit, while they, in turn, share all things with the divine Sons and spirit Daughters of the universes.

118.6.6 In the mortal life, paths of differential conduct are continually opening and closing, and during the times when choice is possible the human personality is constantly deciding between these many courses of action. Temporal volition is linked to time, and it must await the passing of time to find opportunity for expression. Spiritual volition has begun to taste liberation from the fetters of time, having achieved partial escape from time sequence, and that is because spiritual volition is self-identifying with the will of God.

140.10.9 John asked Jesus, “Master, what is the kingdom of heaven?” And Jesus answered: “The kingdom of heaven consists in these three essentials: first, recognition of the fact of the sovereignty of God; second, belief in the truth of sonship with God; and third, faith in the effectiveness of the supreme human desire to do the will of God—to be like God. And this is the good news of the gospel: that by faith every mortal may have all these essentials of salvation.”

155.6.11 Never forget there is only one adventure which is more satisfying and thrilling than the attempt to discover the will of the living God, and that is the supreme experience of honestly trying to do that divine will. And fail not to remember that the will of God can be done in any earthly occupation. Some callings are not holy and others secular. All things are sacred in the lives of those who are spirit led; that is, subordinated to truth, ennobled by love, dominated by mercy, and restrained by fairness — justice. The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty.

170.2.16 “First. The kingdom of God in this world, the supreme desire to do the will of God, the unselfish love of man which yields the good fruits of improved ethical and moral conduct.

Jesus Reveals the Father

169:4.10 He was, indeed, the Son of even the Elohim God; but in the likeness of mortal flesh and to the mortal sons of God, he chose to limit his life revelation to the portrayal of his Father's character in so far as such a revelation might be comprehensible to mortal man. As regards the character of the other persons of the Paradise Trinity, we shall have to be content with the teaching that they are altogether like the Father, who has been revealed in personal portraiture in the life of his incarnated Son, Jesus of Nazareth.

169:4.3 You learn about God from Jesus by observing the divinity of his life, not by depending on his teachings. From the life of the Master you may each assimilate that concept of God which represents the measure of your capacity to perceive realities spiritual and divine, truths real and eternal. The finite can never hope to comprehend the Infinite except as the Infinite was focalized in the time-space personality of the finite experience of the human life of Jesus of Nazareth.

169:4.13 Jesus is the spiritual lens in human likeness which makes visible to the material creature Him who is invisible. He is your elder brother who, in the flesh, makes known to you a Being of infinite attributes whom not even the celestial hosts can presume fully to understand. But all of this must consist in the personal experience of the individual believer. God who is spirit can be known only as a spiritual experience. God can be revealed to the finite sons of the material worlds, by the divine Son of the spiritual realms, only as a Father. You can know the Eternal as a Father; you can worship him as the God of universes, the infinite Creator of all existences.

Conclusion

I believe God’s will is best explained as love, truth, beauty and goodness. God’s will is also embodied in God’s ways. explained elsewhere in TUB.

Seeking God’s will can only be accomplished by following Jesus’ life as an example; studying what would Jesus have done? He sought God’s will in all that he did, and lived a life dedicated to God as Father and men as brothers, as all men are sons of God. To restate his teachings here is impossible, but the Gospels and TUB provide such a comprehensive understanding.

In a short partial list, he both lived and taught religious faith, respect, righteousness, humility, courage, sincerity, integrity, fidelity, forgiveness, love, family, service, trust, high morals, fairness and justice. He advocated avoidance of evil, vanity, pride, vengeance, malice, self centeredness, and abuse of others.

Sharing one’s inner life with God as a partner/Father in living faith, through Jesus, is doing that will.

When Jesus confronted a tough decision, and he faced many, he always sought his Father's will (and he was both God and man). When one faces that today, he can do the same with the above guidance. If done in faith, while knowing God is love, truth, beauty and goodness, a better decision can be made even if there is no seemingly good human decision available (known as being between a rock and a hard place). By consulting Him, He can minister to you. Sincere prayer can result in inner peace over the decision in that it is God's will through Jesus.

People face horrible problems, i.e. crippling disease and accidents, divorce, death, economic disasters, etc. These finite tribulations are experienced real time. I believe Jesus came to help us by showing us the way to the Father, and showed us he could face his own execution with faith in the Father's will. We may suffer here, but Father/Jesus/Holy Spirit will always help us to spiritually ameliorate the pain here, and resurrect us when it's over.

The idea is to partner with Elohim.

Best,

Ted

A few years ago I compiled this list for my own study:

What is the will of God?

1. Willingness to share the inner life with confiding trust, which means giving all.

2. To imitate God's nature, to give all to become like him.

3. To go the way of God when faced with the opportunity to go one's own way; and the way of God is truth, beauty and goodness.

4. God's will always produces fruits of the spirit along with character transformation.

5. Doing God's will is never passive and submissive, but a voluntary, cooperative, positive, active willingness to live the light of truth, beauty and goodness in the face of all evil.

6. God's will is always a personal experience with social repercussions. It begins in the inner life.

7. God's will is done by sincerity, sincerity and more sincerity and by making decisions, decisions and more decisions for the highest moral choice, which is the one with the highest possible value, the most God-like.

8. God's will is Love.

People face horrible problems, i.e. crippling disease and accidents, divorce, death, economic disasters, etc. These finite tribulations are experienced real time. I believe Jesus came to help us by showing us the way to the Father, and showed us he could face his own execution with faith in the Father's will. We may suffer here, but Father/Jesus/Holy Spirit will always help us to spiritually ameliorate the pain here, and resurrect us when it's over.

Hi Ted, all,

I know your topic is the will of God. Bonita's list is great. I want to add about your concluding comments.

From time to time a reader in my study group wants to know why God doesn't do something to fix the suffering on our world. Whole groups of people have horrible problems, disease, hunger and so on. We see this in real time. The question asked is, "Why doesn't God do something?" How can God allow this? When will He intervene? Will He intervene? The paragraph below pertains in part to the individual, from "The Functions of Providence."

Some of the amazingly fortuitous conditions occasionally prevailing on the evolutionary worlds may be due to the gradually emerging presence of the Supreme, the foretasting of his future universe activities. Most of what a mortal would call providential is not; his judgment of such matters is very handicapped by lack of farsighted vision into the true meanings of the circumstances of life. Much of what a mortal would call good luck might really be bad luck; the smile of fortune that bestows unearned leisure and undeserved wealth may be the greatest of human afflictions; the apparent cruelty of a perverse fate that heaps tribulation upon some suffering mortal may in reality be the tempering fire that is transmuting the soft iron of immature personality into the tempered steel of real character.
P.1305 - §4

And from "Conference With John's Apostles" Jesus states his mission is to the individual:

Again and again would they [the Apostles] take their troubles to Jesus, only to hear him say: "I am concerned only with your personal and purely religious problems. I am the representative of the Father to the
individual
, not to the group. If you are in personal difficulty in your relations with God, come to me, and I will hear you and counsel you in the solution of your problem."
P.1624 - §14

All the best,

Meredith

From time to time a reader in my study group wants to know why God doesn't do something to fix the suffering on our world. Whole groups of people have horrible problems, disease, hunger and so on. We see this in real time. The question asked is, "Why doesn't God do something?" How can God allow this? When will He intervene? Will He intervene?

Here is another quote to answer those questions.

23.2.5  The confusion and turmoil of Urantia do not signify that the Paradise Rulers lack either interest or ability to manage affairs differently. The Creators are possessed of full power to make Urantia a veritable paradise, but such an Eden would not contribute to the development of those strong, noble, and experienced characters which the Gods are so surely forging out on your world between the anvils of necessity and the hammers of anguish. Your anxieties and sorrows, your trials and disappointments, are just as much a part of the divine plan on your sphere as are the exquisite perfection and infinite adaptation of all things to their supreme purpose on the worlds of the central and perfect universe.

When Jesus confronted a tough decision, and he faced many, he always sought his Father's will (and he was both God and man). When one faces that today, he can do the same with the above guidance. If done in faith, while knowing God is love, truth, beauty and goodness, a better decision can be made even if there is no seemingly good human decision available (known as being between a rock and a hard place). By consulting Him, He can minister to you. Sincere prayer can result in inner peace over the decision in that it is God's will through Jesus.

Most of us struggle with the notion of doing God's will. We know that Jesus was able to do that, apparently with ease. But for the most part, I'd say most of us are unsure about it. We doubt ourselves and wonder if we really can ever know with certainty what Jesus would do in any given circumstance. If we think we know for sure, I'd say that there's an equal chance that we may be wrong. Much, very much, has been done in Jesus' name that was wrong, so terribly wrong.

What Ted has brought up here is something very important. He says, ". . . a better decision can be made even if there is no seemingly good human decision available . . ." This illustrates that although we strive for perfection of decision making, that is perfection in following God's will, it is not always attainable in this life. While we strive for perfection, for the very best approach to our problems, it often seems to us that we fall just short of perfection. We never seem to be able to be what Jesus was or do what he did. At times it may be frustrating to realize just how far we are from perfection, yet this is part of God's glorious plan.

Jesus taught the Lord's Prayer, saying ". . . thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." This means that there are phases of doing God's will: God's will on earth and God's will as it is in heaven. The revelation here is that God's will on earth is perfecting, (Meredith's point about the Supreme). We begin on a very human level with decisions which may be very good, but not necessarily better or best. We are in the process of perfecting our ability to do God's will. The kingdom of God within us is evident in progressive baby steps where we first master the highest human ideals of morality and ethics before it is possible to come to the "estate" wherein we attempt to master the will of God more divinely. We cannot go from human to divine overnight, which means that doing the will of God cannot go from human to divine overnight either.

170:2.15 On this afternoon the Master distinctly taught a new concept of the double nature of the kingdom in that he portrayed the following two phases:

170:2.16 "First. The kingdom of God in this world, the supreme desire to do the will of God, the unselfish love of man which yields the good fruits of improved ethical and moral conduct.

170:2.17 "Second. The kingdom of God in heaven, the goal of mortal believers, the estate wherein the love for God is perfected, and wherein the will of God is done more divinely."

I believe that God asks of us what the human situations we are in call for, first a good way to handle them, then as we mature, better and better ways. I believe that God is completely satisfied with the less than perfect outcome of our attempts to do his will. The fact that we are trying to do his will every moment is all that truly matters to him. We are not to judge ourselves, or even wonder if Jesus would have done what we did, provided that we trust that he is struggling right along with us to find the good, better and best way to do everything that comes our way. Living a godly life is one in which we continuously labor to find the divine and better way while not chastising ourselves if we are only capable of the humanly moral and ethical way, knowing that we fall short of the divine, as we strive to learn about the kingdom of God both as it is here on earth, and as our souls pine for heaven on earth.

25.4.10 Technical Advisers are dedicated to the work of preventing delay, facilitating progress, and counseling achievement. There is always a
best
and
right
way to do things; there is always the technique of perfection, a divine method, and these advisers know how to direct us all in the finding of this better way.

Bonita's list "5. Doing God's will is never passive and submissive, but a voluntary, cooperative, positive, active willingness to live the light of truth, beauty and goodness in the face of all evil." I had not studied that issue of evil before posting, in the context of God's will, and her post opened up the major issue of the existence of evil so that it contrasts with good, and returning evil with good is a core teaching of Jesus, replacing an "eye for an eye".

In terms of its application to God's will, CS Lewis included this issue in his book "The Problem of Pain" On the highest level, pain, through trials and sacrifices, teaches true self-sufficiency: to rely on God, to act out of heavenly strength, out of a purely supernatural motive. When man acts in this way he becomes a co-creator with God: "Human will becomes truly creative and truly our own when it is wholly God's, and this is one of the many senses in which he that loses his soul shall find it." Thus, the ordinary function of pain within the tribulation system is to make a creature's submission to the will of God easier.

That is consistent with Meredith's quote: "......the apparent cruelty of a perverse fate that heaps tribulation upon some suffering mortal may in reality be the tempering fire that is transmuting the soft iron of immature personality into the tempered steel of real character."

The sad part is that anyone who is dealing solely with the Bible's scriptural references to God's will must rely on the few references by Paul in Romans and Thessalonians, which are somewhat contradictory, without much explanation.

Suffice to say, that seeking God's will when confronted by evil or tribulation can be explained by the above, returning good for evil, and trusting God..

When trying to determine God's will when making ordinary life decisions TUB quotes which teach God is love, truth, goodness and beauty, and studying Jesus' life will help one to understand that life is not always easy, but choosing God's way through Jesus can be a real help in discerning what to do, if one accepts being a Son of God.

Knowing that God's will may be sometimes unknown at present, but will always prevail, is also helpful. "I will trust in the Lord with all my heart. I will lean not upon my own understanding. I will acknowledge him, and he shall direct my paths."

Bonita's last quote is also very instructive, and consistent with the foregoing.

Thanks to Bonita and Meredith for chiming in on a deep subject.

The sad part is that anyone who is dealing solely with the Bible's scriptural references to God's will must rely on the few references by Paul in Romans and Thessalonians, which are somewhat contradictory, without much explanation.

Hi Ted, all,

In Jesus' discourse on The Book of Job he clears up the misunderstanding of suffering and concludes with this from page 1664:

Then Jesus made this final statement: "The Father in heaven does not willingly afflict the children of men. Man suffers, first, from the accidents of time and the imperfections of the evil of an immature physical existence. Next, he suffers the inexorable consequences of sin--the transgression of the laws of life and light. And finally, man reaps the harvest of his own iniquitous persistence in rebellion against the righteous rule of heaven on earth. But man's miseries are not a
personal
visitation of divine judgment. Man can, and will, do much to lessen his temporal sufferings. But once and for all be delivered from the superstition that God afflicts man at the behest of the evil one. Study the Book of Job just to discover how many wrong ideas of God even good men may honestly entertain; and then note how even the painfully afflicted Job found the God of comfort and salvation in spite of such erroneous teachings. At last his faith pierced the clouds of suffering to discern the light of life pouring forth from the Father as healing mercy and everlasting righteousness."

And here's another good one, but this one doesn't have a Biblical reference.

"Teach all believers that those who enter the kingdom are not thereby rendered immune to the accidents of time or to the ordinary catastrophes of nature. Believing the gospel will not prevent getting into trouble, but it will insure that you shall be
unafraid
when trouble does overtake you. If you dare to believe in me and wholeheartedly proceed to follow after me, you shall most certainly by so doing enter upon the sure pathway to trouble. I do not promise to deliver you from the waters of adversity, but I do promise to go with you through all of them."
P.1767 - §1

All the best,

Meredith

It occurred to me today that both the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Truth minister to believers, and the Spirit of Truth does the trick.

2065.7) 194:3.19 The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. Pentecost, then and now, signifies that the Jesus of history has become the divine Son of living experience. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

(2061.1) 194:2.3 This bestowal of the Son’s spirit effectively prepared all normal men's minds for the subsequent universal bestowal of the Father’s spirit (the Adjuster) upon all mankind. In a certain sense, this Spirit of Truth is the spirit of both the Universal Father and the Creator Son.

(2061.5) 194:2.7 Thus it appears that the Spirit of Truth comes really to lead all believers into all truth, into the expanding knowledge of the experience of the living and growing spiritual consciousness of the reality of eternal and ascending sonship with God.

(2061.6) 194:2.8 Jesus lived a life which is a revelation of man submitted to the Father’s will, not an example for any man literally to attempt to follow............

An Adjuster, the Holy Spirit (Divine Daughter of the Third Person of the Trinity) and the Spirit of Truth who teach of the Father and Jesus must focus on God's will in all their teachings. Jesus is a manifestation of God's will. No other conclusion can be reached. How could one fail to find God's will through TUB, prayer and worship with this assistance?

This makes things much less confusing, although such discernment may still be perplexing to an individual.

Edited by Teobeck

In paper 101, the Real Nature of Religion, I find that the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth combine to produce spiritual insight in the human pure mind to help man through spiritual communion perceive the divine nature.

101:1.3 The divine spirit makes contact with mortal man, not by feelings or emotions, but in the realm of the highest and most spiritualized thinking. It is your thoughts, not your feelings, that lead you Godward. The divine nature may be perceived only with the eyes of the mind. But the mind that really discerns God, hears the indwelling Adjuster, is the pure mind. " Without holiness no man may see the Lord. " All such inner and spiritual communion is termed spiritual insight. Such religious experiences result from the impress made upon the mind of man by the combined operations of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth as they function amid and upon the ideas, ideals, insights, and spirit strivings of the evolving sons of God.

And then whosoever wills to do the will of God shall comprehend the validity of spiritual values.

101:10.6 Never can there be either scientific or logical proofs of divinity. Reason alone can never validate the values and goodnesses of religious experience. But it will always remain true: Whosoever wills to do the will of God shall comprehend the validity of spiritual values. This is the nearest approach that can be made on the mortal level to offering proofs of the reality of religious experience. Such faith affords the only escape from the mechanical clutch of the material world and from the error distortion of the incompleteness of the intellectual world; it is the only discovered solution to the impasse in mortal thinking regarding the continuing survival of the individual personality. It is the only passport to completion of reality and to eternity of life in a universal creation of love, law, unity, and progressive Deity attainment.

This is a deep paper (for me). However, I conclude that one who seeks God's will shall comprehend spiritual values, and the combined actions of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth are available. I have always found this level of thinking/comprehension very difficult without Jesus, as he humanizes such abstract thinking. The paper also states:

101:6.8 The teachings of Jesus constituted the first Urantian religion which so fully embraced a harmonious co-ordination of knowledge, wisdom, faith, truth, and love as completely and simultaneously to provide temporal tranquility, intellectual certainty, moral enlightenment, philosophic stability, ethical sensitivity, God-consciousness, and the positive assurance of personal survival. The faith of Jesus pointed the way to finality of human salvation, to the ultimate of mortal universe attainment, since it provided for:

1.Salvation from material fetters in the personal realization of sonship with God, who is spirit.

2.Salvation from intellectual bondage: man shall know the truth, and the truth shall set him free.

3.Salvation from spiritual blindness, the human realization of the fraternity of mortal beings and the morontian awareness of the brotherhood of all universe creatures; the service-discovery of spiritual reality and the ministry-revelation of the goodness of spirit values.

4.Salvation from incompleteness of self through the attainment of the spirit levels of the universe and through the eventual realization of the harmony of Havona and the perfection of Paradise.

5.Salvation from self, deliverance from the limitations of self-consciousness through the attainment of the cosmic levels of the Supreme mind and by co-ordination with the attainments of all other self-conscious beings.

6.Salvation from time, the achievement of an eternal life of unending progression in God-recognition and God-service.

7.Salvation from the finite, the perfected oneness with Deity in and through the Supreme by which the creature attempts the transcendental discovery of the Ultimate on the postfinaliter levels of the absonite.

I hope this helps someone as it did me. It takes my most intense concentration to comprehend these teachings, so I have to do a little at a time, and do it over and over. I found this also when I read Tillich, and especially Kant. The difference with TUB is that as I go along reading and trying to comprehend I always sense that it is pure truth, as well as stringing such difficult to comprehend ideas/thoughts together.

In any event, the Spirit of Truth leads and assists men to do the will of God if one so wills. It's a great discovery for me that we have help in this matter, as prior to this study I thought we had to discern God's will alone, which I felt was impossible at first blush.

Best to all,

Ted

Edited by Teobeck

Gosh! I am quite interested in this topic; and I am learning so much!

I have contemplated much on this subject, for many years - for most of my life, in fact! In my contemplations, I have been guided by the spirit of the law (as it were...) about doing the will of God. At least, that is what I thought. I had figured out that I had to be as close as possible to the "...good and faithful servant..." of God. As long as I obeyed the rules, things could be okay with me. If I were as perfect as I could be, maybe Jesus Christ would intercede on my behalf with a stern and perfection-demanding Almight God; and I might be saved. Of course, I would owe Jesus Christ for his having "...suffered, bled, and DIED..." for me as payment for my pitiful, sinful, fallen state. It is a frightening concept. How very accurate the "Tent-Meeting, Evangelical Preacher's" exhortation to: "...fear God!"

That I was wrong, took a very long time, and a very unique book (TUB), for me to discover! Oh! How joyful to discover just how wrong I was!

P.1221 - §6 & §7 Such a creature choice is not a surrender of will. It is a consecration of will, an expansion of will, a glorification of will, a perfecting of will; and such choosing raises the creature will from the level of temporal significance to that higher estate wherein the personality of the creature son communes with the personality of the spirit Father. This choosing of the Father's will is the spiritual finding of the spirit Father by mortal man, even though an age must pass before the creature son may actually stand in the factual presence of God on Paradise. This choosing does not so much consist in the negation of creature will--"Not my will but yours be done"--as it consists in the creature's positive affirmation: "It is my will that your will be done."

[Please forgive the crudeness of my analogy here; it really makes more sense in my thoughts!]

When an honest and faithful SON of a benevolent, great, and powerful king discovers the fact of his own SONSHIP, one would think he would begin to assume the priorities and actions of such a Father/ruler. With the simple statement: "It is my will that your will be done."; the individual man or woman elevates his or her standing in all the universe, into a partnership with Heavenly Father in the creating and perfecting of all "post-Havona" creations and creatures. Heavenly Father's work and glory becomes the Faithful Son's work and glory. We are not here in mortality to be merely a slave or servant, oh no! There is a more sublime goal and destiny for each of us, individually as well as collectively. We are supposed to discover our SONSHIP! Discovering such a relationship, and acting positively upon it, forever elevates all our actions to the sublime peaks of co-ownership with Almighty God of all the creations of time and space. We, individually, might not soon (or even ever), achieve actual right and title to anything in the universes of time and space; but as unique creatures of individual personality (bestowed by God the Father), and unexplainable fusion with an undiminished portion of God the Father (the Mystery Monitor); we have an, as yet, unrealized and stupendous eternal mission and destiny as Finaliters.

P.558 - §2 In traversing the ascending scale of living existence from mortal man to the Deity embrace, you actually live the very life of every possible phase and stage of perfected creature existence within the limits of the present universe age. From mortal man to Paradise finaliter embraces all that now can be--encompasses everything presently possible to the living orders of intelligent, perfected finite creature beings. If the future destiny of the Paradise finaliters is service in new universes now in the making, it is assured that in this new and future creation there will be no created orders of experiential beings whose lives will be wholly different from those which mortal finaliters have lived on some world as a part of their ascending training, as one of the stages of their agelong progress from animal to angel and from angel to spirit and from spirit to God.

I am able today, to experience a renewal of joy and vigor in my daily living by contemplating and acting positively upon, (and within), the majesty of God's creation; and actually believing in the stupendous statements about, and implications of, the faith-fact that I am a child of God. Here is the great treasure of existence - that God gave to me individually, the sovereign right to choose - the absolute right to exercise my own will. I may refuse any portion of the freewill gifts of my Paradise Father, and even choose to turn away from Him; or, I may consecrate my will to the doing of God's will; and in so doing, I may achieve the unimaginable heights of eternity existence in joyful service with God - as a SON, not a servant! And as a Son, to share and achieve things no being in all the universes (below the Deities, themselves, that is), can even speculate about with even the smallest degree of certainty.

Ted, you hit the nail right on the head: "The idea is to partner with Elohim."

How very true the statement: "With God, all things are possible!" As recorded in the bible: "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." [Luke 12:32]

WOW !

"JR" Sherrod

JR:

Great that you have entered into the teachings of the love of the Father by Jesus over the emphasis on fear in the old testament. Fear was the way that Moses tried to keep the people in line, away from sin. By the time of Elijah the love of God was introduced, a new concept of God for the Hebrews. They still viewed God as a "group racial" God rather than a personal Father for the most part. Even John the Baptist preached repentance of sins, but no saving message, as the last of the Prophets.

Today many evangelical speakers concentrate on old testament teachings as if they were gospel, or Paul's letters, which, while full of many truths as taught by Jesus, are also based on the risen Christ as opposed to the the wonderful life of Jesus. This is in direct contradiction of the Gospel. Thus Jesus' teachings as preserved in the Gospels are spiritual, and teach of the Father, and still speak to men's hearts. They emphasize and teach individual salvation, forgiveness of sin through faith, and putting new wine into new wineskins. To me this is a marked change from the old testament teachings. The old testament was about the law, and the Gospels are about faith.

They are also about God's will, and I started this thread to try to report TUB's teachings on this, and found that we get help from above, which I couldn't find in the Gospels as direct teachings. I believe it is inferred there, but not directly. When I researched it, I found sites with sermons that are all different, with different scriptural refernces, so if I missed something I would gladly stand corrected.

A quick search of TUB on forgiveness of sin provides the following:

forgiveness. See also confession; guilt; patience; repentance; sin

divine forgiveness 89:10sec(984;4), 156:2.7(1736;4)

Father blots out transgressions for his own sake 97:7.10(1069;5)

Father's heart never closed to his children's needs 5:1.11(64;2)

is inevitable, inherent, inalienable 2:5.4(39;3), 97:7.7(1069;2), 131:2.11(1445;5), 174:1sec(1898;1)

love of Jesus forgives sins 147:5.5(1652;2), 148:9.2-3(1666;6), 188:5.2(2018;1)

no f. for deliberate blasphemy against God 153:4.3(1714;2), 165:3.6(1820;5)

personally available when we forgive 144:3.3(1620;1), 146:2.4(1638;4), 170:2.19(1861;3), 170:3.4-5(1862;1), 188:4.13(2017;8)

though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow 97:5.2(1066;6), 131:2.10(1445;4), 156:2.7(1736;4)

through faith and confession 89:10sec(984;4), 138:8.2(1545;3), 156:2.7(1736;4)

iniquiters eternally reject f. 153:4.3(1714;2)

iniquiters never sorrow for misdeeds or accept f. 67:1.6(755;2)

Michael's attitude

offered Lucifer rebels f. 53:9.1(610;6)

offered Lutentia the privilege of sharing system throne if he would only apologize 119:2.5(1311;4)

repentant universe rebels rehabilitated, but may not serve in original positions 35:9.10(394;2), 35:10.4(394;6), 67:4.7(758;5)

nature of forgiveness

is Godlike 174:1.4(1898;4)

provides salvation 188:5.3(2018;2)

renewal of loyalty relations with God; not sought, only received 89:10.6(985;1)

takes away bonds of sin 131:5.5(1450;4)

So, if one can accept that they are a son of God through faith, and that the Father that loves his children, sin is forgiven as we forgive. If Jesus could take a thief on the cross to Paradise, forgive Adam and Eve, offer Lucifer and his cohorts mercy through repentance (and they ruined the Satania nursery), and finally forgave his executioners, that is certainly indicative of his mission of God's mercy. In our world these are mainly capital crimes.

I know my own faults, past sins, and poor judgments. When compared to Jesus, I'm worthless. However, I still trust in the Lord, and maintain my faith in salvation as this is the teaching and life of Jesus. I will give Paul credit for his statement that "we all fall short of the Glory of God." No truer words.

Hope this also helps.

Ted

Edited by Teobeck

I have always found this level of thinking/comprehension very difficult without Jesus, as he humanizes such abstract thinking.

In any event, the Spirit of Truth leads and assists men to do the will of God if one so wills. It's a great discovery for me that we have help in this matter, as prior to this study I thought we had to discern God's will alone, which I felt was impossible at first blush.

Ted and All,

I'm wondering if when you consider the help of Jesus/Spirit of Truth, you are thinking of a person helping you, a person who has had the experience of living and thinking with a human mind, and a person who knows all about you? Is the help you get from the Spirit of Truth part of a relationship in which the eyes of your soul are opened and the longings of your heart are finally recognized?

If you're even a little like me, I'm sure that your experiences with the Spirit of Truth are not unlike mine. I tend to sound "preachy" sometimes, so what I'm about to write will probably turn off a few persons and I'm sorry. I haven't figured out a way to write without coming off as sanctimonious to some. What I really want to do is explain how I experience these things and hopefully others will recognize that they experience them similarly.

I believe that we all want, more than anything, to be "seen" and "known", that is, recognized personally and individually. No one wants to be invisible and alone. The miracle of the Spirit of Truth is that he knows us better than we know ourselves; he individually and personally acknowledges us as "the one most dear" to his heart. As we mature spiritually, we eventually learn to recognize that all people are individually and personally "most dear to his heart", but we begin with the relationship between ourselves and the one who loves us most, our Creator, Michael.

Once we allow him to show us his love, an integral part of our being is awakened, the part we scarcely know about ourselves, the soul. Through him, we become connected to the living vine and there begins an intense striving to maintain the presence of the Master as an ongoing internal experience, without whom the ordinary struggles of human life seem too hard to bear. He makes all things new, exciting, desirable, hopeful and fulfilling because the true needs of the soul are being met. The soul is "recognized" (made part of the heavenly family through sonship) and thereby, the branch is thoroughly nourished and able to produce God's fruit. (Do his will.)

p1945:04 You must abide in me, and I in you; the branch will die if it is separated from the vine. As the branch cannot bear fruit except it abides in the vine, so neither can you yield the fruits of loving service except you abide in me. Remember: I am the real vine, and you are the living branches. He who lives in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit of the spirit and experience the supreme joy of yielding this spiritual harvest. If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit. And when the world sees these fruit-bearing branches--my friends who love one another, even as I have loved them--all men will know that you are truly my disciples.

p1103:06 Jesus was the perfectly unified human personality. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. He unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: "If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new."

The ongoing connection, or communion, with the Master is what brings us to know the seemingly unknowable, the Father and his will. God's desires for us are so lofty, so divine and so beautiful that we often have difficulty recognizing them. The Master does recognize them however and he is there to help us recognize them as well. He knows our true self, our progressing soul, better than we know it ourselves. The Master reveals the truth that the soul secretly desires; he works with the Adjuster to reveal the truth to our personality in such a way that we might recognize, interpret and choose, which is all that we can do when it comes to learning how to live out God's will. (p2094:09)

180.6.2-4 It is really profitable for you that I go away. If I go not away, the new teacher cannot come into your hearts. I must be divested of this mortal body and be restored to my place on high before I can send this spirit teacher to live in your souls and lead your spirits into the truth. And when my spirit comes to indwell you, he will illuminate the difference between sin and righteousness and will enable you to judge wisely in your hearts concerning them.

"I have yet much to say to you, but you cannot stand any more just now. Albeit, when he, the Spirit of Truth, comes, he shall eventually guide you into all truth as you pass through the many abodes in my Father's universe.

"This spirit will not speak of himself, but he will declare to you that which the Father has revealed to the Son, and he will even show you things to come; he will glorify me even as I have glorified my Father. This spirit comes forth from me, and he will reveal my truth to you. Everything which the Father has in this domain is now mine; wherefore did I say that this new teacher would take of that which is mine and reveal it to you.

p2065:06 194.3.19 The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. Pentecost, then and now, signifies that the Jesus of history has become the divine Son of living experience. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

One might ask how to maintain a continuous connection between the true vine and our souls. Jesus tells us that it is through perpetual fellowship with him, the Master.

p2061:02 From the beginning Jesus taught that the spirit would not speak of himself. The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael.

This is accomplished by engaging in constant prayer, which is nothing more than an ongoing internal conversation with him, our new found alter ego, with whom we share all of our inner life. This fellowship, or communion, must dominate our thinking and all of our secret desires. We must always be watering the garden of our souls with unbroken fellowship with the Master who now has dominion over everything that is in his Father's domain. Here is what he said again:

If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me,
and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever
my
spirit wills
and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition.

The word "abide" means to "go along with", to remain "loyal to". The words he speaks are living words addressed to the soul. But, the most important part of this statement is the fact that we must learn to allow him to "infuse" us to the point where his will becomes our will and then he, himself, assures us that the Father will fulfill our real needs, the true desires of our souls. We have to fall in love with him to the point where our individual wills are inseparable, where Creator and creature both want the absolute best for one another. This living spirit infusion is an experiential relationship developed through internal conversation driven by desire to know one another fully. But in truth, he already knows and loves us, we just don't realize it. He speaks to the soul, (which we have limited consciousness of until reaching the highest psychic circles) so in order to realize his living words, we need to learn to love and then know him (p1118:4  102:1.1). We do this by allowing him to infuse us in such a way that he reveals our true nature (the Adjuster) to us, the one we are perfecting within the soul as we attempt to become like the Father.

p1639:5 146:2.10 "I have come forth from the Father; if, therefore, you are ever in doubt as to what you would ask of the Father, ask in my name, and I will present your petition in accordance with your real needs and desires and in accordance with my Father's will."

"Infuse" is an odd word to use in the prior quote and I've often wondered why he chose it over a word like "inspire" or "instill". I've come to think of it like a medicinal infusion where the healing cure needs to "soak in", have time to be extracted into the medium of our minds in order to reveal all of its beneficial properties. We allow Michael into our hearts to steep, he waits on us for the cue to release his comforting balm, the truth of living love. We can aid the effectiveness of his medicine if we take an active part in allowing it to be released, and that is accomplished by sharing and loving one another deeply through abiding loyalty to the relationship. The Spirit of Truth is the "living spirit relationship of all things and all beings as they are co-ordinated in the eternal ascent Godward." It is the Master himself who is our advocate when it comes to our ability to fulfill God's will, which is nothing more than the willingness to share the inner life with him. (p1221:2  111:5.1 )

Bonita, while I perceived that Jesus makes this idea of the will of God more understandable, I wasn't thinking of being able to do it with Jesus as a person. Your quotes are spot on. You quoted:

p2065:06 194.3.19 The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. Pentecost, then and now, signifies that the Jesus of history has become the divine Son of living experience. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

I also found this:

P2018:1, 188:5.2 The cross forever shows that the attitude of Jesus toward sinners was neither condemnation nor condonation, but rather eternal and loving salvation. Jesus is truly a savior in the sense that his life and death do win men over to goodness and righteous survival. Jesus loves men so much that his love awakens the response of love in the human heart. Love is truly contagious and eternally creative. Jesus' death on the cross exemplifies a love which is sufficiently strong and divine to forgive sin and swallow up all evil-doing. Jesus disclosed to this world a higher quality of righteousness than justice -- mere technical right and wrong. Divine love does not merely forgive wrongs; it absorbs and actually destroys them. The forgiveness of love utterly transcends the forgiveness of mercy. Mercy sets the guilt of evil-doing to one side; but love destroys forever the sin and all weakness resulting therefrom. Jesus brought a new method of living to Urantia. He taught us not to resist evil but to find through him a goodness which effectually destroys evil. The forgiveness of Jesus is not condonation; it is salvation from condemnation. Salvation does not slight wrongs; it makes them right. True love does not compromise nor condone hate; it destroys it. The love of Jesus is never satisfied with mere forgiveness. The Master's love implies rehabilitation, eternal survival. It is altogether proper to speak of salvation as redemption if you mean this eternal rehabilitation.

I found this for JR:

155:1.2 "..........My kingdom is founded on love, proclaimed in mercy, and established by unselfish service. My Father does not sit in heaven laughing in derision at the heathen. He is not wrathful in his great displeasure........... The Psalmist exhorted you to `serve the Lord with fear'—I bid you enter into the exalted privileges of divine sonship by faith; he commands you to rejoice with trembling; I bid you rejoice with assurance.......... But you who have lived with me well know that anger and wrath are not a part of the establishment of the kingdom of heaven in the hearts of men. But the Psalmist did glimpse the true light when, in finishing this exhortation, he said: `Blessed are they who put their trust in this Son.'"

I'm so delighted when people participate in these forums, and lend insight to these issues. It's like attending a UB seminary in a way, as TUB is so all inclusive and deep. Even with the internet, I often can't find answers to these questions, sometimes after 12 pages. Maybe a snippet here and there. TUB's recitation of Jesus is almost overwhelming, even after 20 years.

The final question I have now is what about service? There are some who participate within Christianity, i.e. missions, teachers, etc., but it's not like all believers can or do participate. I wonder what the answer to service is when there are so few opportunities? I know some people serve as volunteers in hospitals, food banks, etc., but my sense is that Jesus' call to service was to the brotherhood of man as a result of believing the Gospel. Any ideas?

Edited by Teobeck

Hi Ted & Bonita!

I am a person who takes in from multiple sources and blends it all together to create a new piece of personal reality. Consequently, I often have difficulty in quoteing the exact source paragraph and line. I do, however, find myself drawing more and more frequently from the wonderful TUB. I suppose I might be a small step closer to Bonita's ability to pull so many excellent source quotes from TUB in the future; but probably not! :-)

Ted, your question about service is one that seems deceptively easy to me. One does not have to baptize a thousand souls; nor does one have to stop a war. How about replacing your neighbor's trash can after the garbage men have left it in the street? How about giving the pregnant mom with her unruly child a hand with the plastic bag for the tomatos? Try standing up on the bus when someone else gets on and needs a seat? How about devoting an hour to sit and talk with a lonely old guy who really misses his departed wife - even if you don't really love fly-fishing?

I know. Those are mundane. But there is no such thing as meaningless service. P.273 - §10 Though denominated servitals, these "midway creatures" of the central universe are not servants in any menial sense of the word. In the spiritual world there is no such thing as menial work; all service is sacred and exhilarating; neither do the higher orders of beings look down upon the lower orders of existence. All of everything we do in life can become exalted service! If one does not have anyone around to physically do something for, does that mean a lack of service opportunity? My answer is no! The lonely Air Force Security Policeman, on post at 3 a.m., is serving as he stays awake and ready, while others are getting their needed sleep. The fireman in the firehouse who is prepared to go into hell at a moment's notice is 100% performing a service - even if he does not respond to a fire-call. The pimply-faced teenager who gives you your "happy Meal" is serving. The key in all these is attitude.

The difference is simple to understand when I think of two waiters presenting a dinner salad to a hungry diner. The first scoops a bunch of lettus and veggies onto a plate and plops it in front of her; hoping all the while that she won't ask for anything else, so he can "...get outta here..." to his date. The second, using the exact same ingredients, carefully arranges the salad on the plate, and presents the salad, with a smile and a flourish. He took perhaps 30 seconds longer, but he did so much better! He served the customer as if she were indeed his girlfriend (or even his girlfriend's mother), and there was a satisfaction in doing it with concern for the emotional well-being of the customer, beyond merely satisfying the physical hunger of the customer.

This is strictly "...the gospel according according to me..." that I am sharing. I feel that one can be doing honestly selfless service in a myriad of ways. It seems to me to involve empathy, not sympathy; and is simply acknowleging the worthwhile-ness of someone other than oneself. I sure hope that I have come close to the real point, here. What do you think?

"JR" Sherrod

Greetings Ted and JR,

All true service is social but not all social service is true. We've been taught to define service as giving to the needy where needy generally means poor or sick. There are probably more needy people out there who are wealthy and healthy, yet we vilify them as the enemies of the poor and sick. It's a really twisted world out there and it is so easy to fall into the traps of popular thinking because they so easily arouse feelings of guilt.

True service is nothing more than doing God's will, wherever and whenever and with whomever he chooses. We can invent social causes that serve our own wills, and we can convince ourselves that we are doing God's will when in fact we might actually be doing more harm than good. Rather than invent social service that is simply a humanistic graft on the true vine, the world would be much more improved if each individual spent the same amount of time striving to love and know God within. Jesus had so much trouble teaching this, why should it be any different today?

p1769:10 He did not teach that the essence of his religion consisted in social service, but rather that social service was one of the certain effects of the possession of the spirit of true religion.

p1126:4 102:7.4 True, many apparently religious traits can grow out of nonreligious roots. Man can, intellectually, deny God and yet be morally good, loyal, filial, honest, and even idealistic. Man may graft many purely humanistic branches onto his basic spiritual nature and thus apparently prove his contentions in behalf of a godless religion, but such an experience is devoid of survival values, God-knowingness and God-ascension. In such a mortal experience only social fruits are forthcoming, not spiritual. The graft determines the nature of the fruit, notwithstanding that the living sustenance is drawn from the roots of original divine endowment of both mind and spirit.

True service is doing God's will. This is the only thing of value we can give to him; why bother with anything else?

p22:05 The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father's will is man's choicest gift to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man's only possible gift of true value to the Paradise Father.

Today we view social service as an exalted form of humanism and humanism has become a religion unto itself. But is it a true religion? If we are truly doing God's will, we are living a righteous life, a life of living love. And, if we are living such a righteous life, those who are truly needy are attracted to us by the spiritual laws of the universe. Jesus said he will draw all men to himself and he is able to do that through us as we allow him to live his gospel anew in our lives.

195.10.1  Modern culture must become spiritually baptized with a new revelation of Jesus’ life and illuminated with a new understanding of his gospel of eternal salvation. And when Jesus becomes thus lifted up, he will draw all men to himself.
Jesus’ disciples should be more than conquerors, even overflowing sources of inspiration and enhanced living to all men.
Religion is only an exalted humanism until it is made divine by the discovery of the reality of the presence of God in personal experience.

P.1726 - §2 "Let me emphatically state this eternal truth: If you, by truth co-ordination, learn to exemplify in your lives this beautiful wholeness of righteousness, your fellow men will then seek after you that they may gain what you have so acquired.
The measure wherewith truth seekers are drawn to you represents the measure of your truth endowment, your righteousness.
The extent to which you have to go with your message to the people is, in a way, the measure of your failure to live the whole or righteous life, the truth-co-ordinated life ."

While reading this next quote note that it says that nearness to God determines one's usefulness to others. It does not say one's usefulness to others determines one's nearness to God. The latter is a humanistic view, the former a religious view.

P.1096 - §1 Spirituality becomes at once the indicator of one's
nearness to God and the measure of one's usefulness to fellow beings.
Spirituality enhances the ability to discover beauty in things, recognize truth in meanings, and discover goodness in values. Spiritual development is determined by capacity therefor and is directly proportional to the elimination of the selfish qualities of love.

There is nothing wrong with humanism. Feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, healing the sick, comforting the broken hearted are all wonderful things to do and we should not stop doing them. But we are kidding ourselves if we think that this is what is meant by doing God's will. These acts are mere band-aids because they attend to the material needs of men. The Gospel concerns the spiritual needs of men and, for the most part, we have primarily left those needs to the priests and shaman among us who, in this modern era, are no longer able to adequately fulfill that duty.

p1098:4 100:5.1 The world is filled with lost souls, not lost in the theologic sense but lost in the directional meaning, wandering about in confusion among the isms and cults of a frustrated philosophic era. Too few have learned how to install a philosophy of living in the place of religious authority.

We are entering an era where the Spirit of Truth is taking over for human spiritual intercessors; however, we as a people have not yet awakened to that fact. What the world needs now is true service from those who understand this.

p1732:4 155:6.11 Never forget there is only one adventure which is more satisfying and thrilling than the attempt to discover the will of the living God, and that is the supreme experience of honestly trying to do that divine will. And fail not to remember that
the will of God can be done in any earthly occupation
. Some callings are not holy and others secular. All things are sacred in the lives of those who are spirit led; that is, subordinated to truth, ennobled by love, dominated by mercy, and restrained by fairness— justice. The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty.

It is not so much what you learn in this first life; it is the experience of living this life that is important.
Even the work of this world, paramount though it is, is not nearly so important as the way in which you do this work.
There is no material reward for righteous living, but there is profound satisfaction—consciousness of achievement—and this transcends any conceivable material reward.

We who would be this era's servants need to diligently work on our souls. Each person is individually responsible for finding God and doing his will, the bedrock of real religion. What happens after that is up to the Spirit; we must let the Spirit of Truth do his own work. (p1932:1 178:1.16)

p1121:06 Religious desire is the hunger quest for divine reality. Religious experience is the realization of the consciousness of having found God.
And when a human being does find God, there is experienced within the soul of that being such an indescribable restlessness of triumph in discovery that he is impelled to seek loving service-contact with his less illuminated fellows
, not to disclose that he has found God, but rather to allow the overflow of the welling-up of eternal goodness within his own soul to refresh and ennoble his fellows.
Real religion
leads to increased social service.

Thanks Bonita!

The massive tome that is TUB is chock full of amazing stuff!

However, everything in TUB is secondary to the real 3-part message from Christ Michael that: #1- His Father/God is our Father/God; #2- All of us here below are brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ, and hence, mutual children of Father/God; and #3- Our mutual Father/God and Brother/Father Christ Michael are both calling us home to survival, salvation, and citizenship in Eternity? We may learn everything else in TUB, yet still perish in death, if we don't learn this essential 3-part message?

So, by joyfully living in the way that our discovery of the TRUE Gospel OF Christ fosters, is akin to allowing ourselves to become the "...light on the hill..." which will naturally attract lost souls to us. Those who are spiritually thirsty will naturally be drawn to the sound of the outflowing of the waters of truth that we have partaken of ourselves, right? Doing all the good we can, must not overshadow the fact that our joy and certainty of survival has as its root the message that Christ Michael taught during his Urantia Bestowal. It is this fact that should become the illuminator of all our choices of doing, saying, and being, while we are here below.

I perceive you are trying to teach that we have learned the essential truth that Jesus taught, when said truth has caused a permanent change in our outlook & behavior, which permanent change will itself become a spiritual light, attracting souls to us - whereupon we are obligated out of the "...pure love of Christ..." to freely share that same "..Good News..." which so changed us. We have not really learned this truth until we have actually taught others the same truth. P.279 - §13 thru P.280 - §0 "...As you journey toward your Paradise goal, constantly acquiring added knowledge and enhanced skill, you are continuously afforded the opportunity to give out to others the wisdom and experience you have already accumulated; all the way in to Havona you enact the role of a pupil-teacher. You will work your way through the ascending levels of this vast experiential university by imparting to those just below you the new-found knowledge of your advancing career. In the universal regime you are not reckoned as having possessed yourself of knowledge and truth until you have demonstrated your ability and your willingness to impart this knowledge and truth to others." We may become a conduit of truth, watering a parched garden of truth-seekers with the "...waters of life..." with which we have, ourselves, recently quenched our own spiritual thirst?

Have I distilled the correct essence? Is this, then, our real task? Is this the way we do our Father's will while we are yet material mortals?

"JR" Sherrod

However, everything in TUB is secondary to the real 3-part message from Christ Michael that: #1- His Father/God is our Father/God; #2- All of us here below are brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ, and hence, mutual children of Father/God; and #3- Our mutual Father/God and Brother/Father Christ Michael are both calling us home to survival, salvation, and citizenship in Eternity? We may learn everything else in TUB, yet still perish in death, if we don't learn this essential 3-part message?

So, by joyfully living in the way that our discovery of the TRUE Gospel OF Christ fosters, is akin to allowing ourselves to become the "...light on the hill..."

Hi JR,

It's a real joy to catch your joy and enthusiasm! Something you said reminded me about service. Not just any 'ol hurry-up-and-get-it-done service, but a special kind of service Jesus calls "loving service," one of the fruits of the divine spirit within. Each of us starts out as a child and over time grows to become a better and better person - a better rigtheousness recommender. Here's what Jesus said at "The Phoenician Appearance":

"Peace be upon you. You rejoice to know that the Son of Man has risen from the dead because you thereby know that you and your brethren shall also survive mortal death. But such survival is dependent on your having been previously born of the spirit of truth-seeking and God-finding. The bread of life and the water thereof are given only to those who hunger for truth and thirst for righteousness--for God. The fact that the dead rise is not the gospel of the kingdom. These great truths and these universe facts are all related to this gospel in that they are a part of the result of believing the good news and are embraced in the subsequent experience of those who, by faith, become, in deed and in truth, the everlasting sons of the eternal God. My Father sent me into the world to proclaim this salvation of sonship to all men. And so send I you abroad to preach this salvation of sonship. Salvation is the free gift of God, but those who are born of the spirit will immediately begin to show forth the fruits of the spirit in loving service to their fellow creatures. And the fruits of the divine spirit which are yielded in the lives of spirit-born and God-knowing mortals are: loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace. If professed believers bear not these fruits of the divine spirit in their lives, they are dead; the Spirit of Truth is not in them; they are useless branches on the living vine, and they soon will be taken away. My Father requires of the children of faith that they bear much spirit fruit. If, therefore, you are not fruitful, he will dig about your roots and cut away your unfruitful branches. Increasingly, must you yield the fruits of the spirit as you progress heavenward in the kingdom of God. You may enter the kingdom as a child, but the Father requires that you grow up, by grace, to the full stature of spiritual adulthood. And when you go abroad to tell all nations the good news of this gospel, I will go before you, and my Spirit of Truth shall abide in your hearts. My peace I leave with you."
P.2054 - §3

I'm glad you came back to the Forum!

Meredith

Thank you, Meredith! I didn't know anyone missed me. You could say that it was time away to swim in the fountain of my grief. It is indeed good for me to be back!

I love the quote you used from "The Phoenician Appearance" of Jesus. It actually says what I wanted to say, but it is much better. I just spent an enjoyable hour with a dear friend, to whom I gave a copy of TUB last Wednesday. She is one of those genuine gems of mortality who have been living a more Christ-like life than the vast majority of folks I know - including me! We spoke today, not only about the Forward of TUB, but also about what really is The Gospel. Now I have a far better source than my own weak words to share with her.

Let's discuss one portion of that particular quote;

[P.2054 - §3] "...Increasingly, must you yield the fruits of the spirit as you progress heavenward in the kingdom of God. You may enter the kingdom as a child, but the Father requires that you grow up, by grace, to the full stature of spiritual adulthood..."

I am one of those people who begin to feel a sense of urgency about being told to "...grow up..." and "...yield fruits of the spirit..." in my life. How should I interpret the declaration about required growth; and when should I really produce fruits of the spirit? Is it true that I need to be fruitful in mortality, or else: "... he will dig about your roots and cut away your unfruitful branches." Should I yield a bumper crop; or might it be sufficient to at least have a few, genuine buds before I die?

You know... this is a hard question to answer, because of the propensity of folks toward the letter of the law. Some will look for that point which is considered the minimum requirement, and strive to meet it and no more. My eldest son was one of those folks. Just a few weeks before he died, my eldest son actually told me: "Dad, if the minimum requirement isn't good enough, they'll raise the minimum." I am not one of those; but I can sorta see their point of view.

[P.381 - §7 thru P.382 - §0] The consciousness of the spirit domination of a human life is presently attended by an increasing exhibition of the characteristics of the Spirit in the life reactions of such a spirit-led mortal, "for the fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance." Such spirit-guided and divinely illuminated mortals, while they yet tread the lowly paths of toil and in human faithfulness perform the duties of their earthly assignments, have already begun to discern the lights of eternal life as they glimmer on the faraway shores of another world; already have they begun to comprehend the reality of that inspiring and comforting truth, "The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit." And throughout every trial and in the presence of every hardship, spirit-born souls are sustained by that hope which transcends all fear because the love of God is shed abroad in all hearts by the presence of the divine Spirit.

Is this a key to discovering how much fruit we must bear while yet in mortality; and can this guide us in doing the will of God?

I already know my Heavenly Father is so all-powerfully good and loving, that he will accept the tiniest of baby-steps in the right direction, if that is our best effort. I feel, that the eventual determination as to our fruitfulness will be so dad-gummed merciful that we can all look forward with joy to that day. At least, that is what I hope!

It is a great joy for me to have somewhere to go to learn more about TUB and the friends who share it as a common possession!

"JR" Sherrod

Edited by JR Sherrod

Forum Friends

HI ALL :)

A Great topic and lots of good stuff from you all .

HI Brother JR

ITs Great to hear from you again .

I Enjoy your shareing , and your positive attitude

and personal insights . Thanks .

I Think you seem a bit too concernd about

personaly judging your own Fruits of the Spirit ,

I Know i Was and did at one time also .

Then i came to realise that when we vow to Do GODs Will

And Invite Jesus Christ Michaels Spirit of Truth

To Sincerly help Show us ... The Way .

His teacher has all the attributes of him .

The SOT / HE IS Alive and Real

And can an does show us ... The Way/s

To Growing and bearing much Fruit in our Lives .

GOD Our Father is NO Respector of Persons .

So , IF Your Fruit basket you produce for him

Is ONLY five Baskets and your Brothers IS Ten

... or vica versa ... HE WILL Gladly recieve the gifts .

IN His eyes we are all equal in spiritual status .

What the Father of Lights Desires and wants from

ALL His Children ... Before he gives them His

Keys to the kingdom

... Is Simply .... sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity.

The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity.

You have The Keys allready and Prob your son did also .

The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity. All men have these keys. Men use them — advance in spirit status — by decisions, by more decisions, and by more decisions.

The highest moral choice is the choice of the highest possible value, and always — in any sphere, in all of them — this is to choose to do the will of God. If man thus chooses, he is great, though he be the humblest citizen of Jerusem or even the least of mortals on Urantia.

THE KEY TO DOING FATHERS WILL

IS ALSO ... sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity

And lets not forget that

ITs Not what a Soul Does but Strives to DO .

48.7.24 22.

The evolving soul is not made divine by what it does, but by what it strives to do.

We Can Stive to attain the seven cosmic circles Now ...

... '' and all who have attained the third immediately have personal guardians of destiny assigned to them.''

49.6.8 2. Mortals of the individual orders of ascension. The individual progress of human beings is measured by their successive attainment and traversal (mastery) of the seven cosmic circles. These circles of mortal progression are levels of associated intellectual, social, spiritual, and cosmic-insight values. Starting out in the seventh circle, mortals strive for the first, and all who have attained the third immediately have personal guardians of destiny assigned to them. These mortals may be repersonalized in the morontia life independent of dispensational or other adjudications.

WE Can also take salvation for granted When ...

Although religious experience is a purely spiritual subjective phenomenon, such an experience embraces a positive and living faith attitude toward the highest realms of universe objective reality. The ideal of religious philosophy is such a faith-trust as would lead man unqualifiedly to depend upon the absolute love of the infinite Father of the universe of universes. Such a genuine religious experience far transcends the philosophic objectification of idealistic desire; it actually takes salvation for granted and concerns itself only with learning and doing the will of the Father in Paradise.

The earmarks of such a religion are: faith in a supreme Deity, hope of eternal survival, and love, especially of one’s fellows.

NAMASTE

PEACE BE UPON YOU AND YOURS

Faith son

Coop

Edited by Coop

Hi JR,

Although you may already know this, I'd like to point it out for the sake of continuity of the thread. When you say that we need to learn the 3-part message or perish, I think there is actually more to it than that. The message itself is useless unless it's internalized and not just learned, but experienced. Learning suggests an intellectual understanding, whereas experience is what makes the message a reality.

How does one experience the gospel and make it a living reality? How does one grow from the realization of a theory about God to experiencing the actual presence of God while here in this mortal life?

p1732:5 155:6.12 Many of your brethren have minds which accept the theory of God while they spiritually
fail to realize the presence of God
. . . . It is not so important that you should know about the fact of God as that
you should increasingly grow in the ability to feel the presence of God

One must be willing to not only intellectually recognize the truth in words, but interpret them in the light of living truth (Spirit of Truth). This is the process in which we assign meanings and values to what we intellectually understand and those meanings and values can be interpreted by us either materially or spiritually depending on our capacity to allow the manifestation of love (God's will) in our relationships, both human and divine. We recognize, interpret and choose.

p1124:07 Convictions about God may be arrived at through wise reasoning, but the
individual becomes God-knowing only by faith, through personal experience

p59:2 4:4.6 In God the Father freewill performances are not ruled by power, nor are they guided by intellect alone; the divine personality is defined as consisting in spirit and
manifesting himself to the universes as love

To feel the presence of God is simply choosing that which we intellectually understand as God after we have allowed the spiritual interpretation of the meaning and value of God to enter into our hearts and souls. This is accomplished by fellowshipping with the the Spirit of Truth, the interpreter of living truth. The presence of God is the reality of God, alive within you, as an active and changing relationship according to the interpretation of living truth, where intellectual thoughts are becoming spiritualized -- impregnated with potential spirit values which eventually give birth to actual spiritual fruits.

p1220:1  111:4.2 Meanings are derived from a combination of recognition and understanding. Meanings are nonexistent in a wholly sensory or material world.
Meanings and values are only perceived in the inner or supermaterial spheres of human experience.

p102:06 Mind transmutes the values of spirit into the meanings of intellect;
volition has power to bring the meanings of mind to fruit in both the material and spiritual domains.

It is our job to discern or recognize the facts and allow the Spirit of Truth to interpret those facts for us in light of the Father's true spirit values. If we are wholeheartedly and sincerely devoted to the Father's will, we will accept his values which are now assigned to those newly interpreted meanings and attempt to actually bring them to fruition, go the second mile.

118.5.3  Mortal consciousness proceeds
from the fact, to the meaning, and then to the value
. Creator consciousness proceeds from the
thought-value, through the word-meaning, to the fact of action

If the idea of God only remains an intellectual exercise, such as in those who are not spiritually robust and prefer to superficially and passively conform to traditional attitudes, it simply means that the individual has not yet resigned himself to wholehearted love. God, however, is a wholehearted lover and will not abandon that person, responding to even the faintest hint of love.

p1733:5 155:6.17 Now, mistake not, my Father will ever respond to the faintest flicker of faith. He takes note of the physical and superstitious emotions of the primitive man. And with those honest but fearful souls whose faith is
so weak that it amounts to little more than an intellectual conformity to a passive attitude of assent to religions of authority, the Father is ever alert to honor and foster even all such feeble attempts to reach out for him.
But you who have been called out of darkness into the light are expected to believe with a whole heart; your faith shall dominate the combined attitudes of body, mind, and spirit.

p2083:4 195:9.8 Descriptive words of things beautiful cannot thrill like the sight thereof, neither can creedal words inspire men's souls like the experience of knowing the presence of God.
But expectant faith will ever keep the hope-door of man's soul open for the entrance of the eternal spiritual realities of the divine values
of the worlds beyond.

But we who have come to know the presence of God within are expected to love wholeheartedly, give wholeheartedly and shine God's light wholeheartedly.

Is this a key to discovering how much fruit we must bear while yet in mortality; and can this guide us in doing the will of God?

I'm a little disturbed by the question above and perhaps it is because I'm reading or interpreting it wrongly, so please don't be offended if my reply does not apply to you. What I want to know is why do you think we should concern ourselves at all with how much fruit we have to bear? That makes it sound as though fruit bearing is a duty rather than a service, as though we're working for "the Man" and only want to give what we're being paid to give and not a smidgeon more. That is all wrong . . . so very, very wrong . . . in the spiritual kingdom of God, real spiritual fruit is a labor of love, a gift, there are no rewards other than more love and more fruit.

140.5.9 Experiential righteousness is
a pleasure, not a duty
. Jesus' righteousness is a dynamic love—fatherly-brotherly affection.

p1111:1 101:5.8 Evolutionary religion drives home to the individual the idea of personal duty;
revealed religion lays increasing emphasis on loving
, the golden rule.

p1945:03 Keep in mind: It is loyalty, not sacrifice, that Jesus demands.
The consciousness of sacrifice implies the absence of that wholehearted affection which would have made such a loving service a supreme joy
. The idea of duty signifies that you are servant-minded and hence are missing the mighty thrill of doing your service as a friend and for a friend.
The impulse of friendship transcends all convictions of duty, and the service of a friend for a friend can never be called a sacrifice.
The Master has taught the apostles that they are the sons of God. He has called them brethren, and now, before he leaves, he calls them his friends.

p2084:5  195:10.5
In winning souls for the Master, it is not the first mile of compulsion, duty, or convention that will transform man and his world, but rather the second mile of free service and liberty-loving devotion
that betokens the Jesusonian reaching forth to grasp his brother in love and sweep him on under spiritual guidance toward the higher and divine goal of mortal existence.

To be concerned over how much fruit needs to be produced is like being concerned about how much you should love someone. Would you ever think of saying to your wife, husband or child, "How much do I need to love you in order to fulfill my duty because I only want to love you as much as I have to?" That sounds ludicrous, doesn't it? We must learn to love with a wholehearted love and give no concern at all to ourselves or the amount of work involved. There is no sacrifice if love is true, unless it is the sacrifice of ego or selfishness.

P.1096 - §1 Spiritual development is determined by capacity therefor and is
directly proportional to the elimination of the selfish qualities of love

Now would be a good time to review and discuss the parable of the talents. Perhaps in another post?

28.6.9 Time is the one universal endowment of all will creatures; it is the “one talent” intrusted to all intelligent beings. You all have time in which to insure your survival; and time is fatally squandered only when it is buried in neglect, when you fail so to utilize it as to make certain the survival of your soul. Failure to improve one’s time to the fullest extent possible does not impose fatal penalties; it merely retards the pilgrim of time in his journey of ascent. If survival is gained, all other losses can be retrieved.

In other words, they're speaking of those who do the minimum of soul work (produce the minimum of fruit) and choose, instead, to bury their talent in the ground while waiting for death to release them to the "heavens" where they hope that spiritual work might be easier than here on earth. There are so many excuses and evil influences to blame rather than muster the courage to take time and make it work for God. Those who sit and wait for a better time are shamefully squandering the one talent given to them. Read what Jesus said about this:

176.3.4 But his lord answered: ‘You are an indolent and slothful steward. By your own words you confess that you knew I would require of you an accounting with reasonable profit, such as your diligent fellow servants have this day rendered. Knowing this, you ought, therefore, to have at least put my money into the hands of the bankers that on my return I might have received my own with interest.’ And then to the chief steward this lord said: ‘Take away this one talent from this unprofitable servant and give it to him who has the ten talents.’

176:3.5 "To every one who has, more shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him who has not, even that which he has shall be taken away. You cannot stand still in the affairs of the eternal kingdom. My Father requires all his children to grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. You who know these truths must yield the increase of the fruits of the spirit and manifest a growing devotion to the unselfish service of your fellow servants. And remember that, inasmuch as you minister to one of the least of my brethren, you have done this service to me.

We are given time in this life to produce fruit and there will be a reckoning when we will have to explain what we did with our precious time. We cannot blame others, not even the evil one, for our poor use of time. We are all guilty of this by degrees. How many of us procrastinate, equivocate and succumb to problem avoidance? There are those too timid and those too zealous, but we all have to try to do the work; use the talent or lose it!

176.3.8 In the next world you will be asked to give an account of the endowments and stewardships of this world. Whether inherent talents are few or many, a just and merciful reckoning must be faced. If endowments are used only in selfish pursuits and no thought is bestowed upon the higher duty of obtaining increased yield of the fruits of the spirit, as they are manifested in the ever-expanding service of men and the worship of God, such selfish stewards must accept the consequences of their deliberate choosing.

176.3.9 And how much like all selfish mortals was this unfaithful servant with the one talent in that he blamed his slothfulness directly upon his lord. How prone is man, when he is confronted with the failures of his own making, to put the blame upon others, oftentimes upon those who least deserve it!

It actually gets harder to squander talent in "heaven". They simply won't let us get away with it anymore.

p551:03 One of the purposes of the morontia career is to effect the permanent eradication from the mortal survivors of such animal vestigial traits as procrastination, equivocation, insincerity, problem avoidance, unfairness, and ease seeking. The mansonia life early teaches the young morontia pupils that postponement is in no sense avoidance.
After the life in the flesh, time is no longer available as a technique of dodging situations or of circumventing disagreeable obligations.

So, what should we do with our talent, or time?

136.6.10 This great decision of Jesus portrays dramatically the truth that selfish satisfaction and sensuous gratification, alone and of themselves, are not able to confer happiness upon evolving human beings. There are higher values in mortal existence — intellectual mastery and spiritual achievement — which far transcend the necessary gratification of man’s purely physical appetites and urges.
Man’s natural endowment of talent and ability should be chiefly devoted to the development and ennoblement of his higher powers of mind and spirit

Always seek for higher values. Seek and never stop seeking. Put the one talent to use . . . invest it in seeking with a fire in the belly and you will be given much more. It is God's will.

140.1.5 “Your message to the world shall be: seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and in finding these, all other things essential to eternal survival shall be secured therewith.

144.2.3 Again I say to you: Ask and it shall be given you; seek and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you. For every one who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door of salvation will be opened.

The law of the universe is: Ask and you shall receive; seek and you shall find

I agree with you and the quotes. However, there has been much discussion in these forums about "fruits" and "fragrance". As you study, think, reflect and generally progress from appetites, urges, vanity, pride while continuously seeking the Kingdom of God, service as Jesus lived it and taught it was also followed by the Apostles in such a way that 11 of then became martyrs as a result.

As Urantia has evolved through its recent period of materialism, as TUB states, service has not been a hallmark of Christian believers to any great degree as in the early church. The churches, as institutions, have tried to help the poor and unfortunate, but mankind has generally remained self centered in the service department.

I have long felt the pangs of desire to serve, and other than some volunteer work at times, was generally consumed with making a living, getting the kids educated, etc. In recent years I have wished I could do my life over so as to have found a way to serve, realizing that I would have to have started preparing way back before deciding on a materialistic career and taking on responsibility. This really an acknowledgment that I didn't serve the Lord as I now know I should have.

Of course no one can go backwards, but the spiritual discernment you spoke of, that comes from the hard spiritual work you and TUB also mention, also reminds one of the things he should have done.

Best,

Ted

Edited by Teobeck

The past may be important to our human experience /s

and our Soul Growth

yet the Present Now is the time and seasons

TO Abide with and in him .

'' except you abide in me.''

Then Shall We ...

''yield the fruits of loving service ''

P.1945 - §4

Then Jesus stood up again and continued teaching his apostles: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit. The vine is pruned only to increase the fruitfulness of its branches. Every branch coming out of me which bears no fruit, the Father will take away. Every branch which bears fruit, the Father will cleanse that it may bear more fruit. Already are you clean through the word I have spoken, but you must continue to be clean. You must abide in me, and I in you; the branch will die if it is separated from the vine. As the branch cannot bear fruit except it abides in the vine, so neither can you yield the fruits of loving service except you abide in me. Remember: I am the real vine, and you are the living branches. He who lives in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit of the spirit and experience the supreme joy of yielding this spiritual harvest. If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit. And when the world sees these fruit-bearing branches--my friends who love one another, even as I have loved them--all men will know that you are truly my disciples.

I have long felt the pangs of desire to serve, and other than some volunteer work at times, was generally consumed with making a living, getting the kids educated, etc. In recent years I have wished I could do my life over so as to have found a way to serve, realizing that I would have to have started preparing way back before deciding on a materialistic career and taking on responsibility. This really an acknowledgment that I didn't serve the Lord as I now know I should have.

So you're saying that all of those years when Jesus was consumed with making a living and getting the kids educated was a waste, that he wasn't doing any worthwhile service and not doing God's will? You know that's totally ridiculous. In fact, it was God's will that he be overwhelmed by the material demands of living.

126.5.9 As he grew up to manhood, he passed through all those conflicts and confusions which the average young persons of previous and subsequent ages have undergone.
And the rigorous experience of supporting his family was a sure safeguard against his having overmuch time for idle meditation or the indulgence of mystic tendencies

I'll bet my life on it that your soul was trying its best to do God's will while you were working to make a living and raisie your kids and THAT IS SERVICE. No one gets out of the mansion worlds without having raised a family and gone through the heartache of how to do that properly while working to keep them healthy and on the right track. People should get it out of their heads that the only way to serve God is to sell everything you own, put on sandals and roam around the world in search of lost souls. PLEASE PUT THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD. It's wrong . . . very, very wrong. It's a romantic, day-dreamy notion not based in reality.

Be grateful for the opportunity to struggle with the material world and with the awesome responsibility of family, of giving other souls the opportunity to live and struggle along with you. My God man, please do not look back at your life with remorse. Take a long-term view of your life and realize that God is always looking for ways to reveal himself in your life, whether you're changing the oil in the car or cleaning out the toilets, it doesn't matter to him. You don't have to go down in the annals of history as a saint, saviour, apostle or prophet. In fact, the greatest of us all is the least. Serve where you are and love every minute of it. Make the world a beautiful and loving place by being as beautiful and loving as you can be 24/7. It's easy and very rewarding.

So there! Have a truly beautiful and good day and you will be serving God better than the fellow who is wandering around trying to save the world. True goodness is unconscious, therefore true service is unconscious. All you need to do is go about being grateful for every second of your life without regrets for what you think are failures. God is certainly not focused on your shortcomings, only your strengths. And I have learned, after years of saving lives in hospitals, that my greatest strength is loving people like they are family. I learned this because I spent an enormous amount of time learning how to love my family.

If we can't be trusted in the small everyday things, we will not be given larger service. Begin with the little things that you face each day and do them perfectly. When you're able to do that, God will give you more service. The most important service is love. Learn to love your family and closest friends, and learn to do that perfectly. Then, each day reach out and learn to love someone else like they are family and friends, day by day, person by person, by augmented trusts of perfect love. In the next world, you are known by the people you associate with, not the great deeds you have done. Remember that greatness, on this planet, is determined by one's capacity for self-control. And quite frankly, you cannot learn to love others perfectly until you have learned self-mastery.

28.6.13 4.
The Solemnity of Trust
. Trust is the crucial test of will creatures.
Trustworthiness is the true measure of self-mastery, character.
These seconaphim accomplish a double purpose in the economy of the superuniverses: They portray to all will creatures the sense of the obligation, sacredness, and solemnity of trust. At the same time they unerringly reflect to the governing authorities the exact trustworthiness of any candidate for confidence or trust.

28:6.15
It is the plan of your superiors to advance you by augmented trusts just as fast as your character is sufficiently developed to gracefully bear these added responsibilities
, but to overload the individual only courts disaster and insures disappointment.

28.6.16 5.
The Sanctity of Service
. The privilege of service immediately follows the discovery of trustworthiness.
Nothing can stand between you and opportunity for increased service except your own untrustworthiness, your lack of capacity for appreciation of the solemnity of trust

28.6.20 6 and 7. The Secret of Greatness and the Soul of Goodness. The ascending pilgrims having awakened to the import of time, the way is prepared for the realization of the solemnity of trust and for the appreciation of the sanctity of service. While these are the moral elements of greatness, there are also secrets of greatness. When the spiritual tests of greatness are applied, the moral elements are not disregarded, but the quality of unselfishness revealed in disinterested labor for the welfare of one’s earthly fellows, particularly worthy beings in need and in distress, that is the real measure of planetary greatness.
And the manifestation of greatness on a world like Urantia is the exhibition of self-control
. The great man is not he who “takes a city” or “overthrows a nation,” but rather “he who subdues his own tongue.”

112.5.22 But personality and the relationships between personalities are never scaffolding; mortal memory of personality relationships has cosmic value and will persist.
On the mansion worlds you will know and be known, and more, you will remember, and be remembered by, your onetime associates in the short but intriguing life on Urantia

I wanted so much to share the following quote from Thérèse of Lisieux's Little Way on the Seers, Saints, etc., thread but I couldn't find adequate quotes to substantiate it. You have given me the perfect opportunity here on this thread. Remember that Thérèse was only 15 when she entered the Carmelite convent and 22 when she wrote the Little Way.

The life I lead is that of a Carmelite nun. This means that I am vowed to Jesus, and that I am called to be a spiritual mother through prayer and sacrifice. But that in itself is not enough for me. I desire so many other callings as well.

I'd like to be a fighter, a priest, an apostle, a teacher, a martyr. I long to travel to distand lands to preach the gospel.

I'd like to shed my blood for Jesus . . .

My goodness, one thing and then another, some contradictory, others totally outside my scope of achievement.

But I realize that these desires exist only in my imagination.

They aren't the reality of my life which is so limited and routine on a day-to-day basis.

In fact, when it comes down to it, dreams and imaginings don't really count for anything. In the end only love counts. It is only love that makes us what God wants us to be.

And love is shown in how we go about living our lives on a practical level here and now, not about dreams of great deeds that may never materialize.

In my quandary I turned to the Word of God for light on this matter and opened my New Testament at Saint Paul's first letter to the Corinthians chapters twelve and thirteen.

There I read that we can't all be apostles, or prophets or teachers, and so on. The Church is a body in which the members have different parts. The eye has a different function from the ear, the hand from the knee. We have different gifts because we need to work together for the good of the whole body. We cannot all do the same thing or the body ceases to function properly.

But as I read on, I discovered that Paul tells us that there is a more excellent way than any of those played by the differentiated bodily organs. It is the universal way of love. I recognized that my real gift, that of love, was actually the most important, and indeed the only, gift that matters. Without it, all the other gifts are worthless and mere show.

If the Church is a body then it must have a heart which is at its center and which sustains all the other parts by pumping blood around the whole organism.

Love burning in the Church's heart is what enables its members to act. It enables the preachers to preach, the apostles to spread the gospel, the martyrs to shed their blood. Without love the Church can do nothing worthwhile. In fact love encompasses every vocation there is.

Beside myself with joy, I cried out: "Jesus, my Love! I have found my vocation. It's to be love deep down in the heart of the Church. With love I can be everything I desire."

3.5.10 5. Is the
love of truth
and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

196.3.29 Some men’s lives are too great and noble to descend to the low level of being merely successful. The animal must adapt itself to the environment, but
the religious man transcends his environment and in this way escapes the limitations of the present material world through this insight of divine love
. This concept of love generates in the soul of man that superanimal effort to find truth, beauty, and goodness; and when he does find them, he is glorified in their embrace;
he is consumed with the desire to live them, to do righteousness

56.10.21 Love is the desire to do good to others.

AMEN

Wise Words of Wisdom from Sister Thérèse of Lisieux's Little Way .

Thanks

AMEN

4. The Fact of Experience

(1123.1) 102:4.1

Because of the presence in your minds of the Thought Adjuster, it is no more of a mystery for you to know the mind of God than for you to be sure of the consciousness of knowing any other mind, human or superhuman. Religion and social consciousness have this in common: They are predicated on the consciousness of other-mindness. The technique whereby you can accept another’s idea as yours is the same whereby you may “let the mind which was in Christ be also in you.”

(1123.2) 102:4.2

What is human experience? It is simply any interplay between an active and questioning self and any other active and external reality. The mass of experience is determined by depth of concept plus totality of recognition of the reality of the external. The motion of experience equals the force of expectant imagination plus the keenness of the sensory discovery of the external qualities of contacted reality. The fact of experience is found in self-consciousness plus other-existences — other-thingness, other-mindness, and other-spiritness.

Edited by Coop