Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Sign in to follow this  
JR  Sherrod

Oh! what we have lost!

There is an amazing quote I was pondering, which gives me both grief and hope.

...Urantians should count it all gain if the blunders of their ancestors and the mistakes of their early world rulers so plunged the planet into such a hopeless state of confusion, all the more confounded by evil and sin, that this very background of darkness should so appeal to Michael of Nebadon that he selected this world as the arena wherein to reveal the loving personality of the Father in heaven. It is not that Urantia needed a Creator Son to set its tangled affairs in order; it is rather that the evil and sin on Urantia afforded the Creator Son a more striking background against which to reveal the matchless love, mercy, and patience of the Paradise Father....

Solonia in Paper 76 of The Urantia Book P.853 - §1

Sure, we have gained a distinction that will follow each of us from this little world for many lifetimes. Sure, we will be recognized as children of the world that rejected Michael; and sure, we will be recognized as progressors who manifested extraordinary faith in the face of so much evil & sin, and faithlessness. Notwithstanding the future promises of rewards in the hereafter, I ache for what we have lost!

It is not for me I ache - it is for my children! 17 months ago, my eldest son, 24 years old, saw no hope, and took his own life. Two months ago, my 20 year old son married his girlfriend 4 months early, at the specific request of her Father - to save her from abuse at the hands of her mother! My three younger sons face shootings and other criminality in their schools, and unremitting violence in the media, in their books, and in their neighborhoods. They are assaulted daily by Godlessness and secularism. My efforts at creating a little sanctuary of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness in our home hardly seems able to steel them from the onslaught of depravity and sin running rampant. Sure, Saten has been bound, but the momentum of darkness seems unrestrained - at least in this community.

The future seems bleak in the near term; and I ache for the guidance Adam & Eve could have extended; and for the solace a half-a-million year reign of a faithful Planetary Prince could have extended. Sometimes, I wish we could have had the benefit of widespread acknowledgement of the unlimited fellowship of our System-family of worlds - instead of shameful segregation and quarentine. Save the majority from the poison of the evil minority. I get that, really I do. But sometimes it all seems so insurmountable.

I have lost a Mother, a Sister, a Brother, and a Son to suicide. My Father died exactly two weeks after my son did; and he died of hard-living and meanness. I know that I can go on; but I dispair of finding ways to fill my remaining sons with the living faith to go on in a world of so much gloom, doom, and darkness. It seems the desperation and hopelessness are so much more PRESENT than anything to HOPE for.

What do I do? How do I come to grips with the fact that beings from "the Heaverns of Light and truth" fell from their sacred positions of trust and left us all alone? Teaching my sons that they can make it to Eternal Life and Progression, when such descending sons as System Soverigns, Planetary Princes, and Adam & Eve failed and fell seems almost unachieveable. When will we be given the guidence and love they should have given us; and when can our children live in a "normal" environment of a stable world?

I will not give up! I will not fail! I will love and teach and guide and support my children! These statements are my declaration that the Father's will is 100% supported and upheld by my will! What remains, is the fact that they are exposed to a situation that has happened on a tiny number of worlds out of nearly TEN MILLION. When shall the children of this world receive what is given to millions of other worlds of children. I don't seek for advantage, just equal opportunity.

At least, that is what I sometimes ache for my children...

When shall the children of this world receive what is given to millions of other worlds of children. I don't seek for advantage, just equal opportunity.

One of the most crippling attitudes a person can have is victimhood. So few are able to recognize when their thoughts are dominated by this attitude toward the world and the cosmos. It needs to be dealt with straight on and stopped because it is insidiously derived from fear and anger, two potent spirit poisons. I have found that those who build their life around this attitude rarely realize that they have done so and when it is pointed out to them, they almost always rebel at the notion because it strikes so deeply that automatic defense mechanisms arise. It is a most delicate psychological matter, which in my opinion, requires expert skills to extricate.

The attitude of feeling denied something always results in an cunningly surreptitious viewpoint of being unfairly and unjustly treated. None of us have been unfairly or unjustly treated by God. It is a perception that must be eliminated in order to attain spiritual health. We are given everything we need and it is our fault if we don't recognize it. It is not God's fault, nor is it the result of FATE. One of the first things that must be done is to immediately stop thinking of the world as a dark and evil place. It may sound pollyanna, but the inner eye must be retrained to see the light in all things rather than focusing on the darkness. New spiritual habits need to be developed.

195.5.12 As you view the world, remember that the black patches of evil which you see are shown against a white background of ultimate good. You do not view merely white patches of good which show up miserably against a black background of evil.

Other spiritual habits designed to erase feelings of victimhood are:

100.1.8 Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness,
refusal to presume on divine mercy
, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

And this is done by developing a consistent and persistent prayer life. Remember what was once whispered to the shepherd boy:

48:6.8 Even on Urantia they counsel the human teachers of truth and righteousness to adhere to the preaching of "the goodness of God, which leads to repentance," to proclaim "the love of God, which casts out all fear." Even so have these truths been declared on your world:

The Gods are my caretakers; I shall not stray;

Side by side they lead me in the beautiful paths and glorious refreshing of life everlasting.

I shall not, in this Divine Presence, want for food nor thirst for water.

Though I go down into the valley of uncertainty or ascend up into the worlds of doubt

Though I move in loneliness or with the fellows of my kind,

Though I triumph in the choirs of light or falter in the solitary places of the spheres,

Your good spirit shall minister to me, and your glorious angel will comfort me.

Though I descend into the depths of darkness and death itself,

I shall not doubt you nor fear you,

For I know that in the fullness of time and the glory of your name

You will raise me up to sit with you on the battlements on high.

48:6.9 That is the story whispered in the night season to the shepherd boy. He could not retain it word for word, but to the best of his memory he gave it much as it is recorded today.

I suggest silently repeating the 23rd psalm throughout the day, with particular emphasis on the phrases:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever."

Equal opportunities will most assuredly abound.

Hi, JR. So sorry to hear about all the tragedy in your life. But look where you are living, JR? You live in Las Vegas! Sin City!!! You might as well be living in Sodom or Gommorah. Really.

Jesus avoided certain cities and certain areas. Jesus hated Sepphoris. He also avoided the public bath houses. There just seems to be a lot more sin and immorality in certain cities.

There's no school shootings or multiple suicides in my city. You should probably get your kids out of that bad school area and move somewhere more Mormon. I went to high school in a Mormon dominated area in Arizona and the schools out here don't have shootings and pregnancies and drugs.

128:2.6 "The moral standards of this home city of Herod Antipas were so far below those of even the caravan city of Nazareth that after six months’ sojourn at Sepphoris Jesus was not averse to finding an excuse for returning to Nazareth (1410)."

125:1.2 "But most of all was his sense of propriety outraged by the sight of the frivolous courtesans parading about within this precinct of the temple, just such painted women as he had so recently seen when on a visit toSepphoris (1378)."

Dear JR,

I am so sorry to hear that so many of your family members have committed suicide. We live in such a mean spirited and chaotic world that it is very hard to continue on when someone feels that they have no hope. We know why this world is so filled with violence and chaos. This is the legacy of the Lucifer rebellion. That does not make you feel any better because you have had to face the reality of the losses of so many of your loved ones. I will pray to my Father to surround you with the light of his love. His love will uplift you and help you cope with this tragic circumstance.

It is one thing to read about tragedies in the newspapers. It is quite another thing to experience these tragedies in your own life. How do you cope with such a thing? You know that our Creator Son and The First Source and Center are very merciful and understanding. They know that as a result of celestial personalities succumbing to their own egos that so many planets in our local system suffered the darkness of rebellion. But this is always a possibility. The gift of free will is so sacred, yet the Father knew that some may choose to misuse that free will to cause others deep harm. Yet, the harm that Lucifer et al cause are only temporary. You can choose to go forward by embracing the truth, beauty and goodness that the Father possesses. Whereas your celestial brethren chose a course of darkness, you can choose the course of light. Whereas your celestial brethren chose to reject the will of the Father, you can choose to embrace the will of the Father.

It takes humility for a very intelligent and high ranking superior to realize that they do not have all the answers. As we progress inwards towards the Father it is important to remain humble. We may very well increase our intellectual prowess, but are we going to let that go to our head? Will we ever equal the intellect of our Infinite Father? Never. So, we humbly accept that there will be things along the way that may seem unjust or unfair. But can we see the whole picture? Lucifer seemed to think that the Ancients of Days were dictators that unfairly and unjustly adjudicated matters. Rather than bring his concerns to the Creator Son or his own Infinite Father he chose to break out on his own. Look at all the woe that he has brought to so many innocent persons. Yet, the Melchizedeks teach that the evil from the Lucifer rebellion is now far outweighed by the good that has come from it. There are now countless individuals that are far more beautiful and far more like the Father because of the fact that they did not succumb to the rebellion. They refused to be led along by Lucifer's sophistries. These persons were far less intelligent and far less experienced in universe affairs. But their love of the Infinite Father outweighed any desire to throw in their lot with the rebels. They knew in their hearts that there was a universe Father that loved them unconditionally. They knew that, in time, the questions that Lucifer rose would be answered. So they patiently awaited to see the outcome and they were not disappointed.

I believe strongly that all of your loved ones are alive and well on the mansion worlds. Whatever they lacked on this world will be made up for on the mansion worlds. Their deep sorrow has turned into abiding joy. Have faith my friend that this is so. Your life will go faster than you can imagine. Before you know it you will be reunited with your loved ones on the mansion worlds. If you let it, these tragedies can build fire resistant materials in you. If you do not succumb to despair your compassion, mercy, love, forgiveness and understanding will grow because you have lived it. You have received the worst that life can throw at you and you have survived. And especially will your Father fragment help you through these tragedies. Go to Him often. Commune with Him and go into the stillness. He will help you to cope. May the Infinite Father support you and surround you with His unconditional love.

Love,

Paul

Brother Sherrod,

Jesus' Gospel of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man will one day rule this world just as it rules the "heavenly kingdom" within our souls. "Happy are they who mourn for they shall be comforted. Happy are they who weep, for they shall receive the spirit of rejoicing."

The Papers remind us that all (except those cosmically insane who embraced iniquity) will be resurrected to the "first heaven." Advanced truths and cosmic insights do not resonate with all in this first, difficult life experience. Keep the love in your heart. You will have opportunities to share it with these loved ones who have left so suddenly. Everybody makes mistakes...but this universe of Nebadon is ruled and ordered by the Master Son's mercy.

Please know you are loved as you love

bill

All my Friends...

You may not know how much comfort and resilience you share with me, but I am buoyed and supported by each of your kind & thoughtful replies!

In moments of weakness, and during times of heavy stress, some of us will succomb - albeit for a moment or a week - some of us break down and throw a "pity-party" for ourselves. Heck! Some of us claim it for loved ones; but I know it was really about me for a little while.

Oh! How magnificent the love and mercy of our Heavenly Father! How quick to wipe tears and soothe the hurt! I am blessed beyond compare; and I have so very much to be thankful for - and even more to look forward to. This leads me to share, perhaps for the umphteenth time, a few things I know:

We are part of a grand parade of life in which this mortal day is but a single, silvery thread woven into a great, beautiful tapestry of existence majestically spanning the universe.

Mortality, with its treasures and tortures, is the only way to progress toward our ultimate potential in the Eternities yet to come.

The extraordinary realities of Eternity could only be faced with a Sword of Power and a Shield of Experience forged in the furnace of a mortal life

I wrote these three sentences on a cold December morning in 1996 - fully four years before I found The Urantia Book. I know these three sentences are three ways of saying that this life is worthwhile; and even more, this life is inescapably critical to our future as immortal, eternal beings. I finally know, through my faith in the “Spirit of Truth” that Jesus poured out upon us all, that someday in our future, we will highly value a challenging, diverse, and even difficult life here; because that kind of stimulation, here, will greatly benefit us in the extraordinary realities of our future life – over there!

Thank you my brothers and sisters! My "pity-party" is over.

"JR" Sherrod

Las Vegas

JR, the words from your soul are beautiful. Life is much richer when our minds are uplifted by the soul's bounty and our courage buoyed by its powers.

We all suffer periodically from self-pity, self-absorption, self-criticism and spiritual confusion. I just fell victim to it myself last night after a critical vocal hearing which did not go as perfectly as I hoped. It is a process that is difficult to stop once it starts. It's as though the lower self is intent on self destruction sometimes, determined to go down the darkened path despite knowing of the dangers. It's almost as though we hope to be eaten by the beasts that live there so we can end our lonely misery and disappointment.

Yet the voice of wisdom always whispers gently, attempting to woo us, asking us to walk beside the still waters for a season, to replenish our souls and rest our spirits before making the awful decision for darkness. Giving ourselves time to heal in the lush and green pastures sometimes convinces us that opting for more darkness cannot destroy the pain.

Though I go down into the valley of uncertainty or ascend up into the worlds of doubt

Though I move in loneliness or with the fellows of my kind,

Though I triumph in the choirs of light or falter in the solitary places of the spheres,

Your good spirit shall minister to me, and your glorious angel will comfort me.

Isn't it absolutely stunning that these words were whispered to a lowly shepherd boy and that they have become the most beautiful words the world has ever known for thousands of years now? Those words weren't whispered to a king, a prophet or a wise man, but to a simple nobody on a tiny dark world whirling through space. It truly is just stunningly beautiful.

Psychic pain is, in my opinion, much worse than physical pain. In both cases, other people cannot see another's pain, they can only see the behavior resulting from the pain and take it on faith that it is really there. I've always found it amazing that people are willing to accept the idea that someone has a pain in their head or in their stomach or joint, yet find it extremely hard to accept the idea that someone has a horrible pain in their heart or soul. We know how to fix physical pains, but we are so inept at fixing psychic pain. Medicine does not work as well on the soul, which is why we must allow the Spirit within us to do the healing. I say allow because it takes a willingness, an openness and a trustfulness in God, our gentle and loving physician, such that he is able to minister to us and comfort us in our distress. He gives us the power over darkness, which if we allow, reveals the light of true happiness.

p1097:7 100:4.3 But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the
soul powers
of the personality by the
dominance of LOVE
. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems.
Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little
. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

JR-

I just discovered this thread. I would add that I have often pondered the suffering experienced by the people on this planet, from everything like war, natural disasters, and disease, to personal disasters like the loss of loved ones. Of course this pondering came from the experience of personal suffering.

I concluded that the only relief from the emotional distress experienced is through a relationship with God, through Jesus, which includes constant prayer, spiritual reading, and worship, which uplifts one into a realm which transcends the suffering. There is also healing in that uplifted state. The spiritual world of God is attained through faith, and the mind is the conduit. Once the mind can focus there, the emotional peace and strength to carry on follows.

This transcendence is proof positive of the Family of God. As Jesus taught, he couldn't save us from the accidents of time, but he would be with us through them. Without the suffering, many people would not seek the Father. The suffering is often the motivation, and then the benefits of faith are in such contrast to the suffering that one actually lives in 2 worlds at the same time, intermittently, experiencing the benefits.

You are not alone in your experiences. As Jesus also taught, you can engraft your hope for the next world onto this world, and the experiences of this world are much easier to bear.

Jesus can help with the pain, and always does. I just wish I could explain this better. I think and feel it, but am not sure I'm explaining it.

Best,

Ted

Thanks, Ted!

You have spoken wisely, and given me a shot of comfort, mixed with a dash of inspiration!

"JR" Sherrod

Sign in to follow this