Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Kaybe

Midwayers and the material world

I have been reading about the origination of the Urantia papers and this led me to wondering whether the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar's experience, of a message being written on the palace wall by a disembodied hand, might have been related to action by the Midwayers?

p865:06 Their chief work today is that of
unperceived
personal-liaison associates of those men and women who constitute the planetary reserve corps of destiny. It was the work of this secondary group, ably seconded by certain of the primary corps, that brought about the co-ordination of personalities and circumstances on Urantia which finally induced the planetary celestial supervisors to initiate those petitions that resulted in the granting of the mandates making possible the series of revelations of which this presentation is a part. But it should be made clear that the midway creatures are not involved in the sordid performances taking place under the general designation of "spiritualism." The midwayers at present on Urantia, all of whom are of honorable standing, are not connected with the phenomena of so-called "mediumship"; and
they do not, ordinarily, permit humans to witness their sometimes necessary physical activities or other contacts with the material world, as they are perceived by human senses.

Regardless, I doubt the Midwayers have interest in the gods of gold, silver, brass, iron, wood and stone:

In the book of Daniel, King Belshazzar of Babylon during a drunken feast takes sacred golden and silver vessels, which had been removed from Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem by his (Belshazzar's) predecessor Nebuchadnezzar. Using these holy items, the King and his court praise 'the gods of gold and silver, brass, iron, wood, and stone'. Immediately, the disembodied fingers of a human hand appear and write on the wall of the royal palace the words מנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסין (Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin). Although usually left untranslated in English translations of Daniel, these words are known Aramaic names of measures of currency: MENE, a mina, TEKEL, a spelling of shekel, PERES, half a mina. (Wikipedia)

It was Belshazzar, the son of Nebuchadnezzar, who saw the omen. Incidentally, did you know that Nebuchadnezzar was afflicted with the first known case of boanthropy? He went mad and thought he was a cow; chances are his son was a tiny bit loco too. Just sayin'

p865:06 Their chief work today is that of
unperceived
personal-liaison associates of those men and women who constitute the planetary reserve corps of destiny. It was the work of this secondary group, ably seconded by certain of the primary corps, that brought about the co-ordination of personalities and circumstances on Urantia which finally induced the planetary celestial supervisors to initiate those petitions that resulted in the granting of the mandates making possible the series of revelations of which this presentation is a part. But it should be made clear that the midway creatures are not involved in the sordid performances taking place under the general designation of "spiritualism." The midwayers at present on Urantia, all of whom are of honorable standing, are not connected with the phenomena of so-called "mediumship"; and
they do not, ordinarily, permit humans to witness their sometimes necessary physical activities or other contacts with the material world, as they are perceived by human senses.

Regardless, I doubt the Midwayers have interest in the gods of gold, silver, brass, iron, wood and stone:

re: gods of gold/silver/brass &c. I'm with you on that one.

What interested me was the suggestion that Midwayers can manipulate the physical world and that there might be a parallel of some kind between the incident reported in the biblical account of Nebuchadnezzar (first victim of mad cow disease?) and the materialization of the papers.

Further insights would be welcome, as long as curiosity does not distract us (i.e. me!) from the serious matter contained in the papers.

What interested me was the suggestion that Midwayers can manipulate the physical world and that there might be a parallel of some kind between the incident reported in the biblical account of Nebuchadnezzar (first victim of mad cow disease?) and the materialization of the papers.

First of all, King Belshazzar of Babylon was drunk as a skunk when the event happened. People in that condition have been known to see all kinds of things including "pink elephants".

Second of all, Nebuchadnezzar did not have mad cow disease, he thought he was a cow. He spent his final days naked, on all fours, eating grass and mooing out in the field. I just don't know if it's documented whether or not he thought he was a female cow, a male bull, or a castrated steer. I guess if he went back to the barn to be milked, he was a cow . . . leaves one to imagine, doesn't it?

Belshazzar, being the son of Nebuchadnezzar, probably "saw" a lot of unusual things. A disembodied hand might have seemed rather normal to him, given the circumstances.