Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Meredith Van Woert

Bonita's "excoriation"

Hi Rick, all,

When Bonita claims she was excoriated on this forum, to what is she referring?

QUOTE (Bonita @ Aug 20 2010, 11:42 AM)

...Truth is more than a representative of deity, it is the personification of deity and because of that, living truth is easily grasped. Despite being excoriated on this forum for making this statement in the past, I continue to hold stubbornly to it. Truth is a person. All one needs to do is establish a relationshipwith truth and remain loyal to that relationship, and we know that relationships require personality.

You follow up with this statement:

QUOTE (Rick Warren @ Aug 20 2010, 01:52 PM)

If it is so easily grasped by humanity you wouldn't have benn "excoriated" Bonita,

to which she sharply replies:

The excoriation was politically motivated. Those folks were blinded by their fear. They knew the truth then, and still know it now. Sometimes people foolhardily follow the lead of their animal self despite knowing better because they are motivated by something other than love, which is what this thread is all about. Ignoring the truth and giving way to error, also known as disloyalty, is the problem we are addressing here.

This exchange leaves me baffled, as it is so out of place. It sours an otherwise friendly discussion. Bonita initiated it. But you picked it up, and this makes me think something happened in the past which is yet to be resolved between the two of you. I think she is prone to holding grudges, and, apparently she has not recovered from a correction of some sort she received in the past from moderators (you?) on this forum all of which I do not recall, nor do any people who are new members here. What can be done? Are we stuck with it? In my opinion it has very much marred the discussion - and ironically, the discussion topic is "Our Dual Natures."

Thanks,

Meredith

This exchange leaves me baffled, as it is so out of place. It sours an otherwise friendly discussion. Bonita initiated it. But you picked it up, and this makes me think something happened in the past which is yet to be resolved between the two of you. I think she is prone to holding grudges, and, apparently she has not recovered from a correction of some sort she received in the past from moderators (you?) on this forum all of which I do not recall, nor do any people who are new members here. What can be done? Are we stuck with it? In my opinion it has very much marred the discussion - and ironically, the discussion topic is "Our Dual Natures."

Thanks,

Meredith

Meredith,

It's Rob Reno and a few others she is referring to I think, with whom she did regular battle before they all finally left the Forum. But she and I seem to be on good terms all round. I can keep it that way by not disagreeing as much as possible.

She's mentioned this and used the same word, excoriated, more than once as I recall, so yes, apparently she's still holding on to the hurt. But now that she's been validated over the "truth is a person" statement, maybe she will let it go. Don't know what else can be done, we've gone thru these Bonita storms before and she always returns to teaching mode, her best mode here. You might contact her privately, see if there's anything the staff can do to reconcile this and avoid future marring, but that might just create more turmoil. I say let it go, the damage is done, trying to fix it might make it worse, and if she brings it up again we can decide if action is needed then eh?

Meredith,

It's Rob Reno and a few others she is referring to I think, with whom she did regular battle before they all finally left the Forum. But she and I seem to be on good terms all round. I can keep it that way by not disagreeing as much as possible.

She's mentioned this and used the same word, excoriated, more than once as I recall, so yes, apparently she's still holding on to the hurt. But now that she's been validated over the "truth is a person" statement, maybe she will let it go. Don't know what else can be done, we've gone thru these Bonita storms before and she always returns to teaching mode, her best mode here. You might contact her privately, see if there's anything the staff can do to reconcile this and avoid future marring, but that might just create more turmoil. I say let it go, the damage is done, trying to fix it might make it worse, and if she brings it up again we can decide if action is needed then eh?

Thank you so much, Rick! Glad for the clarification.

Dear Meredith, Rick, all,

The evolution of Bonita Shapiro, M.D. from her days on Truthbook under a nom-de-plume to her assuming another identity in her initial forays into this forum, through the tough treatment she received (and gave right back) from those like Rob Reno and his ilk, to her progression as a teacher and active participant here, have been a difficult but fruitful struggle for her to find a place she feels comfortable. I think she does feel comfortable here because we make every effort to promote civility and expect participants here to respect the personality of others.

She should, however, get "over" whatever has a hold upon her and get on and beyond it. What caused her to dredge up the past in such an abrupt manner? God forgives us before we ask. If She could forgive the Rob Renos of her life, she then could be in a great position to "destroy them with love." That is-by loving them they would no longer be enemies.

I think she came here to escape the incessant confrontation, accusations and recrimations about her flirtations with channeling in the past.