Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Rick Warren

UAI Forum Policy on Allowing Non UAI Events in Calendar

Hi All,

Please help establish the Forum's policy on this matter if you have an opinion.

The question to frame the matter is this:

Would there be any reason the 'Family Festival' should, or should not be, posted on the UAI Forum's Calendar?

Link to 'United Urantia Family Festival' - July in Montreal Canada

Thanks! Rick Warren

UAI Forum Moderator

LSUA (Texas)

Hi All,

Please help establish the Forum's policy on this matter if you have an opinion.

The question to frame the matter is this:

Would there be any reason the 'Family Festival' should, or should not be, posted on the UAI Forum's Calendar?

Link to 'United Urantia Family Festival' - July in Montreal Canada

Thanks! Rick Warren

UAI Forum Moderator

LSUA (Texas)

Hi Rick, all,

I notice the UAI Forum Calendar does not list this event. I am of the opinion that the UAI Forum need not list every and all events concerning the UB communities of the world. This one happens to be in N. America. Upon study of the event as described on the wesite, I am not in favor of promoting it here on the Forum. I read the blurbs on the individual breakout sessions and the presenters of those. Here's one:

Have You Heard About God Calling? (French and English) - by Diane Labrecque

Summary: In 1933, Jesus revealed a series of 366 daily messages through two ladies who served as instruments to receive and take note of those messages meant to help Humanity. The book was first published in 1935 and has since helped millions of believers in Jesus find strength, courage, love, peace and joy in their daily lives.

Purpose: These daily messages are in perfect harmony with and contain many truths revealed in The Urantia Book. Most interesting is the fact that they were received at the same time that the Revelation of The Urantia Book was completed. They serve as a lighthouse to believers and can be used as a recipe book for support and uplift in the daily struggles of our lives.

Results: My hope is that the audience will see the connexion between God Calling and The Urantia Book, one being a Revelation and the other being a recipe book of application, and hopefully adopt it in their service to the community thus helping others get closer and closer in their personal relationship with Jesus.

Another:

Soul Family - The Family Within Reflects the Family Without (Parts 1 & 2) - by Patrick Yesh

Summary: To study and own the information in the UB about mind, personality, soul and our identity as souls, one must rearrange the information and put it into logical steps of advanced spiritual thinking. The authors write in a way that forces us to think to find deeper meanings. By creating affirmations from the writings, new meanings are revealed to us along with the intellectual steps we must take towards soul identity. Jesus asked the apostles and ultimately all of us ( reader / students of the UB to do this self- disciplined intellectual task.

Purpose: The workshop is a study of the indirect teaching methods of the writers of The Urantia Book and how to turn these statements into powerful affirmations and conversations with our adjusters. In so doing we can create a more intimate relationship with our adjusters that opens our spiritual eyes to who we really are as a soul. If I know myself as soul, I see others that way too. I begin to “see” both my human and my spiritual family in a different light. The workshop ends in a trinity consciousness that is permanent, including the use of our 5 minds that surround and infuse us every moment. It is a soul identification and personality-will exercise in which we coordinate our identity, will, and minds with our adjusters’. A pre-morontia mind exercise.

Results: The workshop will leave people in a higher state of Divine consciousness, Trinity consciousness and Soul identity. not only of themselves but ultimately of everyone else in their lives, promoting an intense feeling of the brotherhood and family of readers at a divine level.

And another:

The Heart & Mind of Jesus - by Charles Olivea

Summary: With Jesus, we are all family...statements by Jesus to illustrate this...Jesus = Supreme, personal friendship...manifested by the "voice" and stunning effect on people just seeing him or hearing him or touching him...authentic spirituality of the man...and, at the end, an oral demonstration or sermon prayerfully styled after an American Gospel Hymn.

Purpose: An effort to help my brothers and sisters draw closer to him--daily--into the intimacy of our lives.

Results: I rely entirely on the influence of our Master's Spirit of Truth to carry this further: "The act is ours; the consequences God's."

And:

Heart of the Garden Retreat (Parts 1 & 2) - by Meredith Tenney

Summary: This gathering will bring conference participants together in shared communion to seek the Divine Will. During the first session a question will be posed regarding the sacred work we are called to do together as a community followed by a period of silent meditation and introspection. During the second session the question will be posed again and participants will be invited to share the answers that have come to them in the silence in the form of inspired thoughts, dreams, visions and insights

Purpose: This event will foster spiritual unity among conference participants and will create the living experience of working together as a spirit-led team.

Results: The 'Heart of the Garden Retreat' can become the heartbeat of the TUUFFS conference by offering the opportunity for participants to gather as one spirit family for communion and to seek guidance about the sacred work we are called to do together.

And this one:

Stillness: The Art of Divine Communication - by Marty Risacher and Deborah Goaldman

Summary: A short discussion of Stillness, a daily time for communion with God that enjoins Eastern-style Meditation with Western world worship and spiritual up-reach, helping one develop the true, personal religion that the Urantia Book extols. Followed by a guided meditation exercise in which participants center themselves in spirit, and learn the simple techniques of relaxation and release that facilitates the process.

Purpose: Those who can learn to relax their minds and bodies and facilitate spiritual consciousness will be blessed with enhanced clarity, vision and energy with which to lead their lives, as well the motivation and preparedness for many kinds of spiritual service in their circles.

Results: Persons enlightened into the Stillness, who practice daily communion with their Universal Father, will be well-guided and energized and lead fruitful lives of service in their fields and while passing by. The Stillness provides the threshold for meaningful spiritual information and guidance to come from the spirit world via the Indwelling Spirit/Thought Adjuster. Participants will learn that celestial contact is not achieved by trying but by release ... of fears, of agendas, of busy minds.

This Forum does not allow the posting of material not pertaining to the study of the UB, such as material that is so-called "channeled," nor does it permit Internet links to websites of channelers or so-called teaching mission materials. Since the sponsors of this particular event have invited several presenters who seems to advocate such practices as "Stillness" and silent meditation to get answers (which are to be shared to the group), or other such practices that emphasize getting messages, my vote is to limit the posting of events at which such activites are openly promoted. WE are, after all, about the dissemination of and the in-depth study of The Urantia Book , not other material nor are we about additional and published or private revelatory messages for the world.

All the best,

Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert

Dear Meredith,

First off, I also believe we should limit our exposure (support) to events we know are about the study of the Urantia Book.

Several of those examples from the program you listed such as Diane Labreque (the promoter of this event, who had not read the Urantia book as of last Summmer at the Fellowship Summer Study Session) are well "around the bend" in my most humble opinion.

Others, Patrick Yesh and Meredith Tenney and even Stillness: The Art of Divine Communication - by Marty Risacher and Deborah Goaldman could be a sublime group worship experience while Charles Olivea is definitely in the ???? well around the bend, "up the crick and over the mountain" group.

In short, it is another "Big Tent" carnivale with everything that detracts and distracts from the bread of life and offers precious little "food for the soul." Been there, done that many times. Yet the personal work possible at these gatherings is real and people are often in a listening mind, ready to resonate when presented with T, B and G.

Buzz words like "stillness," which is the requisite state of restfull openess to God that is necessary for one to attempt to discern God's Will for their life, and "spirit world" which can mean many things, both sacred and profane. While we are an organization that insists on a thorough "front to back" reading of the Urantia Book for membership, we limit the pool of quantity at the benefit of enhanced potential.

Serious students attend study groups regularly. These types of affairs (TUUFF) should be attended by knowledgeable Urantia Book students, familiar with the history of the Revelations "stormy" history and be ready, when the time is propitious, to speak the truth to illuminate the shadows of error often presented with great heat and small light.

I still would establish and limit support to in- house UAI projects. UAI could very well survive and thrive, eventually, when discriminating seekers of truth appreciate that Urantia Book and only Urantia Book is spoken here.

So, it sounds like we're saying the Forum's policy will be that each calendar event shall be weighed by the Forum Staff, and if warranted we can kick the decision up the heirarchy.

Looks like tuuff is not making the grade, but I agree with Bill and Gaetan about the importance of having an UAI presence at such events.

Should we put a policy statement in proper words and relay it to Vern, and if approved, post it to the thread about it?

So, it sounds like we're saying the Forum's policy will be that each calendar event shall be weighed by the Forum Staff, and if warranted we can kick the decision up the heirarchy.

Looks like tuuff is not making the grade, but I agree with Bill and Gaetan about the importance of having an UAI presence at such events.

Should we put a policy statement in proper words and relay it to Vern, and if approved, post it to the thread about it?

Hello Bill, Rick,

My answer, or should I say response, to your question Rick pertains to your original posting of this question on the UAI List. When I read your inquiry on the List, I wondered to myself why did you ask the question there? In other words the question seemed an internal one - internal to the UAI Forum wherein Admin and Mods handle such matters. Your question caused quite a kerfluffle on the List, and it is likely the Forum staff could easily decide what to do. We monitor the Forum week in and week out and when posters put up a link to a site of questionable content we follow up on it.

Therefore, I suggest the Forum staff handle this. Unless I have forgotten some key element that was previously discussed about involving Vern and getting permission.

Thanks,

Meredith

Hello Bill, Rick,

My answer, or should I say response, to your question Rick pertains to your original posting of this question on the UAI List. When I read your inquiry on the List, I wondered to myself why did you ask the question there? In other words the question seemed an internal one - internal to the UAI Forum wherein Admin and Mods handle such matters. Your question caused quite a kerfluffle on the List, and it is likely the Forum staff could easily decide what to do. We monitor the Forum week in and week out and when posters put up a link to a site of questionable content we follow up on it.

Therefore, I suggest the Forum staff handle this. Unless I have forgotten some key element that was previously discussed about involving Vern and getting permission.

Thanks,

Meredith

Understand your points Meredith,

I had to ask the same questions. But in the last analysis I think it's better to let the general membership, especially the leaders, at least know when policies are being decided behind closed doors, and it involves others by getting a sampling of opinion for policy makers to evaluate. And it can lead to well expressed policy statements like HULA's proposal.

As for the turmoil on the list, it only needed a trigger, no? At some point, it was going to be discovered that UAI plans to work together with UBF, and set off an offensive. I believe much good came of it, and created even more focus on our mission as reflected in many of the thread's posts. And too, it caused a new evaluation and forumlation of list rules and staffing.

So, all is now in motion including a proper procedure for creating this truly challenging policy, in which the long simmering and distracting channelling issue may be settled for a while. I think HULA's proposal is the upshot of the list turmoil, and may not have come about without the list discussion. The whole event seemed to evolve something worth while, but I can't be certain how it's seen from above our paygrade. In time. Sorry for any kerruffling you guys suffered.

Thanks for the feedback, Rick

Understand your points Meredith,

I had to ask the same questions. But in the last analysis I think it's better to let the general membership, especially the leaders, at least know when policies are being decided behind closed doors, and it involves others by getting a sampling of opinion for policy makers to evaluate. And it can lead to well expressed policy statements like HULA's proposal.

As for the turmoil on the list, it only needed a trigger, no? At some point, it was going to be discovered that UAI plans to work together with UBF, and set off an offensive. I believe much good came of it, and created even more focus on our mission as reflected in many of the thread's posts. And too, it caused a new evaluation and forumlation of list rules and staffing.

So, all is now in motion including a proper procedure for creating this truly challenging policy, in which the long simmering and distracting channelling issue may be settled for a while. I think HULA's proposal is the upshot of the list turmoil, and may not have come about without the list discussion. The whole event seemed to evolve something worth while, but I can't be certain how it's seen from above our paygrade. In time. Sorry for any kerruffling you guys suffered.

Thanks for the feedback, Rick

And thank you Rick! It's a good example of making lemonaide from a lemon, so to speak. :)

Meredith

I may be wrong but I seem to recall something from somewhere about those above our paygrade

rather enjoying an occasional good kerruffling (as long as the lemonade is top quality) :)

Nigel