Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Meredith Van Woert

Bonita's post of 7/7/09

Hi Admin, Mods:

I sent Bonita a warning just now, but I think I typed the wrong date in the message. I think I put 6/7/09, instead of 7/7/09. I'm in a hurry to get to work. But this is what I sent her:

Dear Bonita,

You have crossed the line on civility.

1. Civility. Dialogue is expected to be civil and respectful. Profanity is not permitted. Since we are communicating with diverse people of different cultural backgrounds, civility can be subjective and a common standard for civility may be difficult to define. However, if each forum member acts as a son or daughter of God, he/she will not present a problem to the forum moderators.

This is your
first warning
on the matter of civility. If you are unable to be civil, you will be removed from the forum.

Meredith

cc: Nigel, Rick, Bill

Thanks,

Meredith

Dear Meredith,

Please see my reply to that thread: Link to Reply

As we all know, mystical twits have caused, and will continue to cause,

grief among the readership and to the revelation. However, I think that

Bonita's approach to the topic of mysticism is the best we can hope for,

so I would like to see her continue.

I do not think she has quite stepped over the "civility" line. Generally, I am

not impressed by her "reactive defensiveness", but I am impressed

by the way she has -- academically -- defended her contributions.

Should we delete or hide any of the posts in that thread?

What do others think?

Nigel

Hi Admin, Mods:

I sent Bonita a warning just now, but I think I typed the wrong date in the message. I think I put 6/7/09, instead of 7/7/09. I'm in a hurry to get to work. But this is what I sent her:

Dear Bonita,

You have crossed the line on civility.

1. Civility. Dialogue is expected to be civil and respectful. Profanity is not permitted. Since we are communicating with diverse people of different cultural backgrounds, civility can be subjective and a common standard for civility may be difficult to define. However, if each forum member acts as a son or daughter of God, he/she will not present a problem to the forum moderators.

This is your
first warning
on the matter of civility. If you are unable to be civil, you will be removed from the forum.

Meredith

cc: Nigel, Rick, Bill

Thanks,

Meredith

Should we delete or hide any of the posts in that thread?

What do others think?

Nigel,

The mere fact that you suggest the possibility of taking this action, "Should we delete or hide any of the posts in that thread?" indicates to me a weakness or an uncertainly in your own thinking about Bonita's post which I have raised as having the tone of incivility.

It is an insult to me that you allow her to vent her discourteous thoughts to one of your moderators. And you don't have many to work with on this forum. Can you afford to loose me? I am not trying to change Bonita. I am trying to help you and the rest of the mods do the work of moderating. This particular poster needs moderating. I am standing up to her sophistries, not by criticism of her views, but by bringing to light the teachings of the UB, relative to her topics. That is the best I can do.

She sent me a private post asking for evidence for breaking Rule 1. I will think about me answer to her in the next few hours.

Yes, you should delete her post of this AM on the topic of "Enlightenment".

Thank you.

Meredith

Dear Meredith,

The mere fact that you suggest the possibility of taking this action, "Should we delete or hide

any of the posts in that thread?" indicates to me a weakness or an uncertainly in your own

thinking about Bonita's post which I have raised as having the tone of incivility.

Actually it was your replies to Bonita about which I was unsure. Of course it's

possible I've missed something here, so please be patient and let me know!

I still wonder about the source of your complaint against what she has been

writing. To me, it seems to be hard-core, mainstream UB "quote+comment"?

Nigel

Dear Meredith,

Actually it was your replies to Bonita about which I was unsure. Of course it's

possible I've missed something here, so please be patient and let me know!

I still wonder about the source of your complaint against what she has been

writing. To me, it seems to be hard-core, mainstream UB "quote+comment"?

Nigel

Nigel,

Really? I'd like to know what Rick and Bill have to say about the matter.

I recall in a PM recently to me, Nigel, you were enjoying the discussion Bonita and I were having, re: Enlightenment, and were thinking of chimeing in. Was your enjoyment based on Bonita's smooth talk? I think she really has you men charmed. But if I am off base in my assessmnents , and your collective opinion would confirm that, then I, too, need to re-think my usefulness as a moderator.

Meredith

Dear Meredith,

Really? I'd like to know what Rick and Bill have to say about the matter.

Yes, please Rick and Bill, what do you guys think about what Bonita has been writing?

I have only a tenuous grip on reality, so I may have missed all sorts of implications

that Bonita has slipped past. As I mentioned above, to me those recent posts seem

not only orthodox, but well presented. Please, if you guys think otherwise, help me

to see what I'm missing!!

I recall in a PM recently to me, Nigel, you were enjoying the discussion Bonita

and I were having, re: Enlightenment, and were thinking of chiming in.

Indeed, I still am! And you may have noticed that I finally chimed in. Given the

importance of this topic, let's spin something of real value from this thread :)

Nigel

Dear Fellows,

The only thing I thought i perceived was a slide down the slippery slope of mysticism and I called bonita on this. Her answer satisfied me that she was not talking about the The characteristics of the mystical state are diffusion of consciousness with vivid islands of focal attention operating on a comparatively passive intellect. bad mysticism of the lotus eater we are warned about.

You guys have to know that the older I get, the more i know how much i really don't know and the more I live, the more i appreciate tolerance and kindness. I can not suffer affectation gladly and grind my teeth in study groups when partialy formed and poorly thought out ideas are presented with scant support from the book.

Sincerity is the one absolute and true measure I can apply. I believe Bonita has this. I can not discern duplicity. I see no hidden agenda in her efforts. It may be that in her conceptual command of the themes in the book and her brilliance in presenting her ideas makes me miss something significant.

Meredith, if you could simply state Bonita's errors, I will be more than willing to listen and try to understand.

Love,

Bill

Tho I am exceedingly loathe to step into the middle of this, you asked Amigos,

Meredith, I felt both you and Bonita ventured into a personal arena of reciprocal negativity that left the topic behind. But not so very far into it that the topic or our team should break up. You are a valued and steady server on the Forum's Mod team who's usefulness is appreciated and needed!

Please, let's take another and relentlessly objective look at this and make a new charge at the topic, leaving the personal out. Since the word myticism and its derivations appear in the revelation dozens of times, an objective exegisis is not out of order, is it?

$.01 rw

Hi Nigel, Bill, Rick,

You three have opined in favor of Bonita's rude treatment of me, and you therefore encourage her to continue in her vein.

From this I gather you think that I am the one who erred. I will tell this to Bonita in my response to her PM of yesterday. I will tell her that she has been vindicated by the Moderating team and that the warning I gave her has been nulified, that she did not break rule 1.

Meredith

My reply to Bonita's PM of yesterday:

Hi Bonita,

Yes, it is entirely possible.

You have been vindicated by the Moderating team and the warning I gave you about the breaking if Rule 1 has been nulified.

Thank you for your patience.

Meredith

Dear Meredith

Thank you for being the one to moderate the mystical Bonita :)

You have made her aware that she is treading on slippery ground,

and I believe you are helping her moderate her own contributions.

Given her history on various UB forums, I think we might agree

she is gaining a degree of self control, and a better understanding

of what is appropriate on this world-wide and very public forum.

thanks Meredith -- a job well done.

Nigel