Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Rick Warren

Apparent Contradictions

Dear Menno,

I would presume the author is referring to two separate corps.

Bill

P.S. I am in Michigan at the farm and left my book in Chicago. i think i might have an answer/cross-reference for you after Michael's birthday celebration.

What is your take regarding these two different numbers given for the same group...

within a span of 5 paragraphs ?

Was the information on page 1257 valid in 1935 and did the bracketed information

arrive just before the papers were type set in 1941? Or what is your take on this.

Well spotted, menno! I never noticed those parentheses around the second figure.

My guess would be that in between preparing and presenting Paper 114 section 7,

the various seraphic corps were busy recruiting sufficient natives.

We all know how hard it can be to get good help <_>

Nigel

That is an interesting observation.

For the sake of completeness, and for those who don't have a photographic memory, here are the two paragraphs being referred to:

114:7.5 The twelve groups of Urantia destiny reservists are composed of mortal inhabitants of the sphere who have been rehearsed for numerous crucial positions on earth and are held in readiness to act in possible planetary emergencies. This combined corps now consists of 962 persons. The smallest corps numbers 41 and the largest 172. With the exception of less than a score of contact personalities, the members of this unique group are wholly unconscious of their preparation for possible function in certain planetary crises. These mortal reservists are chosen by the corps to which they are respectively attached and are likewise trained and rehearsed in the deep mind by the combined technique of Thought Adjuster and seraphic guardian ministry. Many times numerous other celestial personalities participate in this unconscious training, and in all this special preparation the midwayers perform valuable and indispensable services.

114:7.10 (The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode, but I am forbidden to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group of living human beings.)

One thing stood out to me is that the first is referring to destiny reservists and the second to cosmic reservists. Are they the same? The latter is universe-conscious, the former unconscious.

It may be that I'm fabricating the significance of the subtle difference in wording, or maybe not.

Bonita, I think there is substance to your distinction (and Bill's) between the two corps. And thanks, because I didn't notice that until you suggested it as a possibility.

I might add that, if a living apprehension of these Papers might constitute "insight of cosmic citizenship" far transcending the sphere of terrestrial abode, there might be room in the corps for several readers - and that would explain why the author is forbidden to reveal the real nature and function of this unique group. It would be classic over-revelation and might invite a lot of swagger or premature "function" by wannabees.

I am a little uncomfortable with the use of brackets, however. Why not do without? How many other places in the UB do we find parenthetical statements? Anybody know?

Hi John,

There are scads and scads of single words and short phrases in parenthesis, but very few whole sentences.

Here are a few examples:

163.4.8 7. Teach that man’s whole duty is summed up in this one commandment: Love the Lord your God with all your mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself. (This they were to teach as man’s whole duty in place of the 613 rules of living expounded by the Pharisees.)

135.6.7 John was a heroic but tactless preacher. One day when he was preaching and baptizing on the west bank of the Jordan, a group of Pharisees and a number of Sadducees came forward and presented themselves for baptism. Before leading them down into the water, John, addressing them as a group said: “Who warned you to flee, as vipers before the fire, from the wrath to come? I will baptize you, but I warn you to bring forth fruit worthy of sincere repentance if you would receive the remission of your sins. Tell me not that Abraham is your father. I declare that God is able of these twelve stones here before you to raise up worthy children for Abraham. And even now is the ax laid to the very roots of the trees. Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is destined to be cut down and cast into the fire.” (The twelve stones to which he referred were the reputed memorial stones set up by Joshua to commemorate the crossing of the “twelve tribes” at this very point when they first entered the promised land.)

On the question of the cosmic reserve corp of universe-conscious citizens, I'm wondering if this has something to do with circle attainment. There are many people who have completed their circles and are awaiting further attunement before fusion. These folks would definitely be universe-conscious.

110.6.16 A seventh or sixth circler can be almost as truly God-knowing — sonship conscious — as a second or first circler, but such lower circle beings are far less conscious of experiential relation to the Supreme Being, universe citizenship. The attainment of these cosmic circles will become a part of the ascenders’ experience on the mansion worlds if they fail of such achievement before natural death.

110:7.1 The achievement of the seven cosmic circles does not equal Adjuster fusion. There are many mortals living on Urantia who have attained their circles; but fusion depends on yet other greater and more sublime spiritual achievements, upon the attainment of a final and complete attunement of the mortal will with the will of God as it is resident in the Thought Adjuster.

There are scads and scads of single words and short phrases in parenthesis, but very few whole sentences.

My old version of Folio Views reports 438 comments in parentheses, 37 of which could be classified as "sentences".

Nigel

Thanks again, Bonita, and NIgel.

Bonita, I like your characterization of the cosmic reserve corps by actual circle attainment much better than I like my allusion to them as mere readers with a "living apprehension" of the Urantia Papers.

110.6.16 A seventh or sixth circler can be almost as truly God-knowing — sonship conscious — as a second or first circler, but such lower circle beings are far less conscious of experiential relation to the Supreme Being, universe citizenship.

Very succinct, in my opinion.

Hi Bonita, John, Nigel and Bill;

Considering what Bonita used as two examples of where a sentence in parenthesis had been used.. i.e. Paper 163.4.8.7 and paper 135.6.7 ; in both of these two example the sentence in parenthesis makes reference to or explains a little better, that which was just presented ahead of it.

Therefore I believe that the paragraph in parenhthesis on page 1258 is referring to the subject at hand...namely The Reserve Corps of Destiny.

If this is so, it still leaves one to wonder who is conveying the information, throughout the UB where ever and when ever these parenthesis show up.

Was it the author of the paper, where it is used; or is it a superior Celestial Being overseeing that Part or overseeing the whole project.

Menno

I submitted this question to my study group, the regular weekly study meeting on the second floor of the Urantia Foundation building, where the original Forum met, and the members all felt that the two references refer to two separate corps.

"The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode"

I believe that this corps membership is vastly larger now than when the Chief of Urantia Seraphim wrote these words. The Revelators " endeavors to expand cosmic consciousness and enhance spiritual perception" (1-2) has surely placed this estimation beyond my powers of evaluation. I rest assured though that "The progression of religious growth leads from stagnation through conflict to co-ordination, from insecurity to undoubting faith, from confusion of cosmic

consciousness to unification of personality, from the temporal objective to the eternal, from the bondage of fear to the liberty of divine sonship."P.1098 - §5

More and more enlightened Urantians are lightening their burdens of soul by speedily acquiring a long-distance view of their destiny, a universe expansion of their career. Our job is clear.The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man. (598-2)

If these statements reflect your efforts, then you are probably in this corps.

I submitted this question to my study group, the regular weekly study meeting on the second floor of the Urantia Foundation building, where the original Forum met, and the members all felt that the two references refer to two separate corps.

"The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode"

I believe that this corps membership is vastly larger now than when the Chief of Urantia Seraphim wrote these words. The Revelators " endeavors to expand cosmic consciousness and enhance spiritual perception" (1-2) has surely placed this estimation beyond my powers of evaluation. I rest assured though that "The progression of religious growth leads from stagnation through conflict to co-ordination, from insecurity to undoubting faith, from confusion of cosmic

consciousness to unification of personality, from the temporal objective to the eternal, from the bondage of fear to the liberty of divine sonship."P.1098 - §5

More and more enlightened Urantians are lightening their burdens of soul by speedily acquiring a long-distance view of their destiny, a universe expansion of their career. Our job is clear.The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man. (598-2)

If these statements reflect your efforts, then you are probably in this corps.

Thanks Bill; I appreciate your well researched response to the question.

When all is said and done we may all have to wait until we can one day meet the celestial author of that paper to know what was really meant by those remarks in brackets.

I have another question for You , your fellow study group members at 533, or anyone else viewing these posts:

Page 1257 Reserve Corps of Destiny first two sentences say : "The reserve corps of destiny consists of living men and women who have been admitted to the special service of the superhuman administration of world affairs. This corps is made up of the men and women of each generation who are chosen by the spirit directors of the realm to assist in the conduct of the ministry of mercy and wisdom to the children of time on the evolutionary worlds."

Note: the words "...to the children of time on the evolutionary worlds."

Then in Para 4 last line it says " On Urantia there are twelve reserve corps of destiny, one for each of the planetary groups of seraphic supervision"

Question: In your opinion, in what way or fashion can mortal will creatures help with the 12th planetary group of seraphic supervision...as noted on page 1256 ? as this group refers to " .....seraphim who are assigned to the ministry of all other superhuman life on the planet.."

Dear Menno,

You certainly do not lack high ambition! Jesus said," I declare that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety and nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Surely we give joy by our wholehearted "second-miler" performance without desire for personal recognition. The words ,to the children of time on the evolutionary worlds probably are the limiting definition in the parameters of your question.

Realistically, I don't think we have any way of knowing the answer to such a question. it might be that humans are assigned as members to this corps honorifically or technically, as in:From time to time, in accordance with the corps organization, titular (mortal) heads of the whole reserve corps have been commissioned by these permanent councils for specific function. The tenure of such reservist chiefs is usually a matter of a few hours' duration, being limited to the accomplishment of some specific task at hand. (1258-3)

And then there is the question of whether or not you would even know you were in a reserve corp.Such Adjusters participate in numerous activities of the realm, but more frequently they function as undetected indwellers of the earthly tabernacles of their own choosing.(1196-10)

AND

P.1213 - §5 During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: "And now, without injury or jeopardy to the subject of my solicitous devotion and without intent to overchastise or discourage, for me, make record of this my plea to him." Then followed a beautifully touching and appealing admonition. Among other things, the Adjuster pleaded "that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors--thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling.

Question: In your opinion, in what way or fashion can mortal will creatures help with the 12th planetary group of seraphic supervision...as noted on page 1256 ? as this group refers to " .....seraphim who are assigned to the ministry of all other superhuman life on the planet.."

Entertainment

As this Topic deals with " Apparent Contradictions ; How Will Student/Teachers Deal With Questions ? "

I have another mystery for anyone interested in offerring up an answer.

Paper 172 gives the reader an idea of what the date of the Jewish Passover in AD 30 was i.e. Sat April 8th

Paper 193.5.1 - 193.5.5 states that it was May 18th when Jesus disappears from the "observation of the apostles" "....about seven forty five this morning"

Paper 194.1.1 confirms that it was 40 days since Jesus' trial and crucification and resurection. The Math is right; Apr 8th to May 18th is 40 days

Paper 194.1.1 second sentence says " This day happened to be the Jewish festival of Pentecost...."

From Paper 193.5.1 ( "almost half past seven o'clock this Thursday morning, May 18th....")

to Paper 194.1.2 ( "It was about two o'clock when Peter stood up....') May 18th has been literally dissected hour by hour.

Why did the midwayer commission place so much emphasis on the time of day and date ?

From Apr 8th to May 18th is 40 days

What is my point ? The Jewish Pentecost is 7 weeks from the day of Passover.

The word Pentecost comes form the Greek meaning 50.

Look on the current calenders and you'll find that the Christian day of Pentecost comes 50 days after Easter Sunday

In AD 30 the Jewish Pentecost would have occurred on May 27th

In my opinion, in the final analysis it means that the real truth is contained within the essence of the UB.. in the Spirit of information.....rather than that outlined in the finite details.

Look on the current calenders and you'll find that the Christian day of Pentecost comes 50 days after Easter Sunday

In my opinion, in the final analysis it means that the real truth is contained within the essence of the UB.. in the Spirit of information.....rather than that outlined in the finite details.

Hi menno,

It would be helpful if one were conversant in the details of the history and traditions of the Jewish people, regarding the calendar and/or the lunar cycles to account for the passage of time from one Jewish holiday to the next in those Roman times, as compared to modern times and the use of the calendar in the 20th Century. I am helpless to offer any information on your question.

As to your other point, to whit ". . . in the final analysis it means that the real truth is contained within the essence of the UB. . . ," the real truth is in the eyes of the beholder, don't you think? Jesus used to say something to the effect - let those who have ears hear . . . - when he was teaching with the use of parables. I do think the when the revelators specify dates and times of day they do this for a reason. My guess is they use dates and times translatable to 20th Century usage.

I'm sure other forumites will give you a better answer than mine.

Cheers,

Meredith

As this Topic deals with " Apparent Contradictions ; How Will Student/Teachers Deal With Questions ? "

I have another mystery for anyone interested in offerring up an answer.

Paper 172 gives the reader an idea of what the date of the Jewish Passover in AD 30 was i.e. Sat April 8th

Paper 193.5.1 - 193.5.5 states that it was May 18th when Jesus disappears from the "observation of the apostles" "....about seven forty five this morning"

Paper 194.1.1 confirms that it was 40 days since Jesus' trial and crucification and resurection. The Math is right; Apr 8th to May 18th is 40 days

Paper 194.1.1 second sentence says " This day happened to be the Jewish festival of Pentecost...."

From Paper 193.5.1 ( "almost half past seven o'clock this Thursday morning, May 18th....")

to Paper 194.1.2 ( "It was about two o'clock when Peter stood up....') May 18th has been literally dissected hour by hour.

Why did the midwayer commission place so much emphasis on the time of day and date ?

From Apr 8th to May 18th is 40 days

Hi Menno,

You bring up an excellent point. The Church teaches that Pentecost came ten days after the ascension, but TUB teaches that they occurred on the same day, which leaves one to wonder what happened to those 10 extra days.

I did some research but came up with nothing definitive. Apparently, during the second Temple period the date for the celebration of Shavuot was not a settled fact. The Sadducees and Pharisees differed in their interpretation of Leviticus 23:15-17 and it is unclear which method of was used in 30AD, but historians say that the Pharisees dominated thus allowing Shavuot to occur on any day of the week rather than on the Sabbath. May 18th was a Thursday, I believe. An interesting site to read on the topic is: http://www.abcog.org/shavuot.htm

A few other things of note. One source I read stated that Shavuot, in the first Century, was always celebrated in the middle of the third month, Sivan, Nisan being the first month and Pesach always being celebrated in the middle of the first month. Both festivals were apparently timed to the equinoxes. The Jewish months are not the same as the Gregorian months. The Jews in 30D followed several different calendars, solar, lunar and a combination. Our current Gregorian calendar was instituted in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII in order to correct the Julian calendar which had resulted in a discrepancy of 10 days. The Pope decreed 10 days be dropped from the calendar changing Oct. 4, 1582 instantly to Oct. 15, 1582.

None of this seems to have much bearing on the situation at hand, however. 50 days is 50 days. It was only 40 days from the resurrection to the ascension and TUB says Pentecost came on the 40th day. I could understand this if TUB had said a day IN Pentecost, because the festival lasted more than one day. But TUB says it was day of Pentecost. However, later it says that "Pentecost was the great festival of baptism, the time for fellowshipping the proselytes of the gate," (p2060) which makes me think that these baptisms could have taken place prior to the actual day of Pentecost. The proselytes, by law, needed to be baptized and purified prior to being allowed to take part in the actual festival. Did this happen ten days before? I don't know; none of it makes much sense.

No matter how you look at it, the resurrection happened the day after Pesach. The day after the first Sabbath in Pesach is the Day of the First Fruits, which marks the beginning of the Counting of the Omar for 50 days. In 30 AD, Pesach fell on the Sabbath, so Sunday, April 9th was not only the day of the resurrection, but it was also the Day of the First Fruits. (Jesus was called "the Firstfruits of those that rise from the dead". I Corinthians 15:20) The 50 days, or 7 weeks, would have been counted from April 9th, putting it on May 28th.

Too bad we can't have "do-overs" with the revelators. I would definitely like an answer to your question menno.

P.S. Another interesting little factoid. The Jews believed that Pentecost was the day that Moses received the Torah and God visited the Israelites with thunder and wind making his covenant with them. The people were able to hear the voice of God on this day. Many believed that this covenant was renewed on Pentecost with God visiting and speaking to his chosen people on that feast day. Jesus' spirit came on Pentecost with great power making a new covenant with all people, filling them with his spirit according to their ability to receive. There were plenty of people who believed they heard the voice of God on that day.

We discussed this at my Tuesday night study group and I came up with a possible solution as being a two week preparation for the actual day of Pentecost. So there could have been Pentecost festivitities and prep going on for a couple weeks, not just one solitary day.

Hi MW,

I've been thinking along those lines myself. It all depends on how you read this quote:

194:1.1The apostles had been in hiding for forty days. This day happened to be the Jewish festival of Pentecost, and thousands of visitors from all parts of the world were in Jerusalem. Many arrived for this feast, but a majority had tarried in the city since the Passover. Now these frightened apostles emerged from their weeks of seclusion to appear boldly in the temple, where they began to preach the new message of a risen Messiah. And all the disciples were likewise conscious of having received some new spiritual endowment of insight and power.

The day happened to be the Jewish festival of Pentecost . . . does that mean the Day of Pentecost, which is usually Sivan 6? Or, does it mean a day in the Jewish festival of Pentecost? The Counting of the Omar went on for 7 weeks with various feast days along the way, like the Seven Sabbaths. So . . . it could be.

Hi MW,

I've been thinking along those lines myself. It all depends on how you read this quote:

The day happened to be the Jewish festival of Pentecost . . . does that mean the Day of Pentecost, which is usually Sivan 6? Or, does it mean a day in the Jewish festival of Pentecost? The Counting of the Omar went on for 7 weeks with various feast days along the way, like the Seven Sabbaths. So . . . it could be.

Hi MW and Bonita;

On page 2062

3. "What Happened At Pentecost" The first sentence reads " Many queer and strange teachings became associated with the early narratives of the day of Pentecost."

And in the KJV Bible Acts Chapter 2 verse 1 "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place."

Verse 2 " And suddenly there came a sound from heavenas of a rushing mighty wind and it filled all the house where they were sitting. "

Would you agree that these two passages, one from UB and the other from the Bible; confirm that the Spirit of Truth arrived on the day of Pentecost ?

Would you agree that these two passages, one from UB and the other from the Bible; confirm that the Spirit of Truth arrived on the day of Pentecost ?

No. Both quotes are referring to the Christian day of Pentecost, not necessarily the Jewish Feast of Pentecost.

No. Both quotes are referring to the Christian day of Pentecost, not necessarily the Jewish Feast of Pentecost.

Just suppossing that you were right; and it was in refernce to the Christian day of Pentecost; you are still left with the issue of the 50 days versus the 40 days mentioned in the UB. Because the Christian day of Pentecost occurs 50 days after Easter Sunday (the day of ascension)

All of the websites, that I have checked with, all state that the day; that the (Holy Spirit) The Spirit of Truth came down on the apostles and the others, was on the Jewish Day of Pentecost.

It was after that event that the early Christians began to incorporate that name as one of their holiest days; The Birth of The Christian Church.

Edited by menno

Menno,

I understand what you are saying, and you may be right. However, I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. TUB is somewhat nebulous on the topic. They are saying that the Spirit of Truth came 40 days after the resurrection. Jesus resurrected on the first day of the Jewish Feast of Pentecost, the Feast of the First Fruits. The Jewish Feast of Pentecost lasted 50 days with 8 different feast days within that 50 day period and people who made the pilgrimage to Jerusalem for Passover often stayed the whole 7 weeks to celebrate because it was considered to be one long feast. Events celebrating the wheat crop occurred throughout the entire time because it was also the time when guests and non-jews were welcomed into the fold, the proselytes of the gate. The last day of the festival is called Shavuot when wheat offerings were made at the Temple. Actually, the word Pentecost was used only by the Greek Jews.

Jesus sent his Spirit of Truth during this Pentecost festival. TUB does not state with clarity whether or not this occurred on the last day of the feast or not; but, one has to surmise that if it occurred 40 days after the Feast of the First Fruits, it was not on the final day of the festival.

The Christian Day of Pentecost was established long afterwards and there was much controversy over when it should be held. For four centuries, the pre-Constantine Christians celebrated the ascension during the Jewish Festival of Pentecost. According to Tertullian, the entire time between Passover and the final day of Pentecost was one long 50 day celebration of the resurrection, ascension and coming of the Spirit of Truth.

The controversy over when to celebrate Easter and Pentecost occurred because the Jewish holiday is not fixed, it floats. The Church wanted Jesus' resurrection to always be on a Sunday. Plus, the Jewish Christians were conflicted because they were still celebrating the Passover and the death and resurrection of Jesus at the same time. So, the Church established Easter then counted 50 days after that and called it Pentecost. Easter is celebrated the first Sunday following the full moon that occurs on or following the spring equinox (March 21). The Eastern Church and the Western Church calculate their calendars differently so Easter falls on different days in the East and in the West. The ascension is celebrated 40 days after Easter. The Church believes that the Spirit of Truth came 10 days after the ascension, whereas TUB says it came on the same day. And that's where you get the 50 days in the Christian calendar.

Bonita, thanks for making this more clear for me - a really good response to a very interesting question from Menno.

I still have issues with Paper 194, as a result of the author's constant reference to "the day of Pentecost," but I think it suffices to say that the name "Pentecost," probably through the influence of Greek believers, became early joined in the Christian mind with the day of bestowal of Christ's Spirit, notwithstanding the curious loss of connection with the day of his ascension. That is, it became virtually a "Christian Day of Pentecost," irregardless of the Jewish Festival, until perhaps a later hand rejoined the two days in an effort of compromise. No telling.

After all, the only record of the event, composed 40 years later by Luke, in his Acts of the Apostles, does not unequivocally confirm the Midwayer's report that the choosing of a new apostle took place on the day of ascension (Luke uses only the expression, "in those days"). So the Midwayers are having to clear up a couple things as best they could.

Thanks John. There is more written by historians on the subject. I just felt that this forum was not the place to relate all of that information.

Here's a great book that covers the topic rather well: In the Shadow of the Temple, by Oskar Skarsaune.

In the Shadow of the Temple

Forum Friends,

If you think this is too easy or just plain silly, I'll delete this post.

Let's say a new reader walks up and asks: "What do you think about this apparent contradiction? I read in the introduction of Paper 38:

...The seraphim are all fairly uniform in design. From universe to universe,

throughout all seven of the superuniverses, they show a minimum of variation;

they are the most nearly standard of all spirit types of personal beings. P.418

and then in the intro of Paper 39, there this:

...As far as we are cognizant, the Infinite Spirit, as personalized on the local

universe headquarters, intends to produce uniformly perfect seraphim, but for

some unknown reason these seraphic offspring are very diverse. P.426

Isn't this a contradiction?"

Reply by private email if you like, Rick

That's an interesting observation, Rick. I can only guess what it means. I always read it to mean that there is uniformity in design only. Everything other than their design is diverse. That's true of human beings too. Our design is also uniform. We're all bipeds, two arms, two eyes, etc. Yet our personalities are diverse. But don't ask me. I still want to know if Nalda was immoral or so-called immoral.

Edited by Midsoniter woman