Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers

I've been a reader of the Urantia papers for over a course of four years, and from the time that I learned of them, I have felt myself grow spiritually and intellectually. However, I have not read the entire book, and am biting off bits and pieces at a time to digest their core facts; I still ask myself this question, "How can I walk with God, and do his will in the face of temptation, anger, sin? It's tough to filter out which knowledge is healthy, and the other damaging. We live in a time now, where the clash of religion is causing war, famine, poverty, and disbelief in God. Sometimes, I put all my faith in what the Urantia book says, but remember that it also says that the knowledge provided is meant to be built upon, given the experience of living one's life.

So, I come here today, to ask people's suggestions, ideas, beliefs, or doctrines for how they walk with God, and how it has changed their life and those around them.

I've been a reader of the Urantia papers for over a course of four years, and from the time that I learned of them, I have felt myself grow spiritually and intellectually. However, I have not read the entire book, and am biting off bits and pieces at a time to digest their core facts; I still ask myself this question, "How can I walk with God, and do his will in the face of temptation, anger, sin? It's tough to filter out which knowledge is healthy, and the other damaging. We live in a time now, where the clash of religion is causing war, famine, poverty, and disbelief in God. Sometimes, I put all my faith in what the Urantia book says, but remember that it also says that the knowledge provided is meant to be built upon, given the experience of living one's life.

So, I come here today, to ask people's suggestions, ideas, beliefs, or doctrines for how they walk with God, and how it has changed their life and those around them.

Great questions Matt,

The inner life has to be cultivated, a personal inside relationship built. For me, it grows by talking with the three Gods that actually live in me! Or their Spirit influences. I made friends with those who the UPapers revealed. It's a warmer, friendier universe than most realize. Not to worry about the slow pace of personal growth, there's a good reason for it. I sometimes get frustrated when the old ways assert themselves, but have begun to believe that if I get even one iota better everyday, I'm going in the right direction, and it mounts up before you know it.

Rick

Great questions Matt,

The inner life has to be cultivated, a personal inside relationship built. For me, it grows by talking with the three Gods that actually live in me! Or their Spirit influences. I made friends with those who the UPapers revealed. It's a warmer, friendier universe than most realize. Not to worry about the slow pace of personal growth, there's a good reason for it. I sometimes get frustrated when the old ways assert themselves, but have begun to believe that if I get even one iota better everyday, I'm going in the right direction, and it mounts up before you know it.

Rick

I see what you mean, Rick, by taking it one day at a time, and letting Gods "Will" course take it's time to help you! I find much comfort from reading the book, in that, when we die, it's not over! There is more to learn, and that I don't have to take it all in at once! So much pressure in life, from people pushing it to the limits, trying to see every site there is, ride every ride there is! I'm curious as to what three "beings" you talk to inside yourself? I struggle at times, with debilitating thoughts, and have tried to call out to God, but sometimes its in anger that I can not hear him, or that I have sinned to many times! I remember reading what Jesus said to one of the elites of the Jewish faith, and I'm going to try to account this as best I can, that no matter what, as long as you are making strides towards God, whether baby steps, or Olympic hurdles, in the end you'll find peace with God.

Welcome to the Forum, Matt4:17.

Just speaking for myself about your question, "How can I walk with God, and do his will in the face of temptation, anger, sin?", this is what I have found to be an easy comparison: Doing God's will is like shooting an arrow at a bullseye. Sometimes (maybe rarely) you hit the mark in the middle. Sometimes (maybe a lot) you're off the mark. Sometimes you're way off the mark and off the target.

The main thing is getting better and closer to the middle of the target.

All the best,

Meredith

Welcome to the Forum, Matt4:17.

Just speaking for myself about your question, "How can I walk with God, and do his will in the face of temptation, anger, sin?", this is what I have found to be an easy comparison: Doing God's will is like shooting an arrow at a bullseye. Sometimes (maybe rarely) you hit the mark in the middle. Sometimes (maybe a lot) you're off the mark. Sometimes you're way off the mark and off the target.

The main thing is getting better and closer to the middle of the target.

All the best,

Meredith

Thanks! I like that perspective!

p2088:5 196:0.10 He lived just such a life of prayerful consecration to the doing of his Father's will and ended his life triumphantly with just such a prayer. The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship—unbroken communion with God—and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices.

Edited by Bonita

Hi Matt4:17 !!

For me, keeping a little bit longer perspective helps me to walk more easily with God.

I say the following: "What's REALLY gonna matter in 50,000 years?"

Fifty thousand years is just a blink in an ETERNAL life, and yet, it seems like an impossibly far-off time frame to compare a transient anger, fear, or temptation against. I have been reading TUB for almost eight years now; and I can say with absolute certainty that it has helped me more than any other book I've read. I am less inclined to overly fret the small stuff when I have accepted the truths contained within these papers. To stand upon the threshold of mortality and scan the grand vista that a life with The First Source and Center as my goal is, is both enthralling and calming.

Matt4:17, make the time (because one never seems to "find" the time ) - MAKE the time to read the Urantia Book front cover to back cover at least once this year. This next six months of honest, adjuster-lead reading will open many avenues of wonder to walk with God. I especially love Part 4 - The Life and Teachings of Jesus.

By the way - I am working on this every day with myself. The goal is attainable, even if it achieved by moving one inch God-ward every day!

Guest mod2

Welcome Matt 4:17

I have collected for you some of the parts from the Urantia Book where "God's will" comes up. Discovering the will of God for your life is your life and my life. This is the best pursuit and the discovering seems to come in the doing as you serve your fellow man.

P.1126 - §6 The God-knowing individual is not one who is blind to the difficulties or unmindful of the obstacles which stand in the way of finding God in the maze of superstition, tradition, and materialistic tendencies of modern times. He has encountered all these deterrents and triumphed over them, surmounted them by living faith, and attained the highlands of spiritual experience in spite of them. But it is true that many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. It requires no great depth of intellect to pick flaws, ask questions, or raise objections. But it does require brilliance of mind to answer these questions and solve these difficulties; faith certainty is the greatest technique for dealing with all such superficial contentions.

What he preached against was not forethought but anxiety, worry. He taught the active and alert submission to God's will.1579-5)

P.1582]Jesus did not attack the teachings of the Hebrew prophets or the Greek moralists. The Master recognized the many good things which these great teachers stood for, but he had come down to earth to teach something additional, "the voluntary conformity of man's will to God's will

." Jesus did not want simply to produce a religious man, a mortal wholly occupied with religious feelings and actuated only by spiritual impulses.

P.1583 - §6 The Master came to create in man a new spirit, a new will--to impart a new capacity for knowing the truth, experiencing compassion, and choosing goodness--the will to be in harmony with God's will, coupled with the eternal urge to become perfect, even as the Father in heaven is perfect.

.1589 - §0 when the Father's will is your law, you are hardly in the kingdom. But when the Father's will becomes truly your will, then are you in very truth in the kingdom because the kingdom has thereby become an established experience in you. When God's will is your law, you are noble slave subjects; but when you believe in this new gospel of divine sonship, my Father's will becomes your will, and you are elevated to the high position of the free children of God, liberated sons of the kingdom.

P.1127 - §4 Of God, the most inescapable of all presences, the most real of all facts, the most living of all truths, the most loving of all friends, and the most divine of all values, we have the right to be the most certain of all universe experiences.

May God's Will Be Done

Here are a few more thought provoking quotes concerning God's will:

The doing of the will of God is nothing more or less than an exhibition of creature willingness to share the inner life with God--with the very God who has made such a creature life of inner meaning-value possible. Sharing is Godlike--divine. God shares all with the Eternal Son and the Infinite Spirit, while they, in turn, share all things with the divine Sons and spirit Daughters of the universes. 1221:02

This was a conference which lasted well into the night, in the course of which the young man requested Jesus to tell him the difference between the will of God and that human mind act of choosing which is also called will. In substance Jesus said: The will of God is the way of God, partnership with the choice of God in the face of any potential alternative. To do the will of God, therefore, is the progressive experience of becoming more and more like God, and God is the source and destiny of all that is good and beautiful and true. The will of man is the way of man, the sum and substance of that which the mortal chooses to be and do. Will is the deliberate choice of a self-conscious being which leads to decision-conduct based on intelligent reflection. 1431:02

The will of God does not uniformly prevail in the heart of the God-seeking material mortal, but if the time frame is enlarged beyond the moment to embrace the whole of the first life, then does God's will become increasingly discernible in the spirit fruits which are borne in the lives of the spirit-led children of God. And then, if human life is further enlarged to include the morontia experience, the divine will is observed to shine brighter and brighter in the spiritualizing acts of those creatures of time who have begun to taste the divine delights of experiencing the relationship of the personality of man with the personality of the Universal Father. 138:2

Jesus made clear to the three the difference between the requirements of apostleship and discipleship. And even then he did not forbid the exercise of prudence and foresight by the twelve. What he preached against was not forethought but anxiety, worry. He taught the active and alert submission to God's will. In answer to many of their questions regarding frugality and thriftiness, he simply called attention to his life as carpenter, boatmaker, and fisherman, and to his careful organization of the twelve. He sought to make it clear that the world is not to be regarded as an enemy; that the circumstances of life constitute a divine dispensation working along with the children of God. 1579:5

Thank you all so very much for your responses and replies to my post! I love reading what many other people believe in, because it is that which makes life so unique~

Sometimes I feel as if, it is God working through another, even when they do not see it!

All of these replys have touched my life, and make me grasp more towards a balance in life! Thank you, and please, keep them coming! Even a teacher learns from their students...if they are willing to listen!

Thank You!

Guest Gary

Hi Matt

I'm a newbie here also but was guided to the Urantia book over 30 yrs ago. At that time in my life I was searching for something in my life and had no clue as to what it was. I dabbled with metaphysics, meditation and tried to read the bible. Always hoping to find anything that would ease this longing I felt inside. One day while at a friends house I walked by her bookshelf and the Urantia book caught my attention. Normally a book of that size would have been would have been placed back on the self and forgotten but for some reason I couldn't pass it by. I asked to borrow the book. Very soon I realized it was going to be part of my life for a long time so I purchased my own copy. The rest of course is history.

You ask how do others walk with God?

After thinking about your question I guess I'd have to say I don't. It's more like I let him led me kind of like a dog on a leash. It's a little unnerving at times for the leash is very long which allows one to wander off the path quite a bit. The further you wander from the path the more steps you must take to get back on it as opposed to just staying on the path in the first place but that's the learning part. Just never let go of the leash for he will keep leading you.

How has it changed my life?

Well that depends on what part of my life we look at.

When I first started reading the book I jumped around a lot to get a feel for what it contained and how it feltabout what I read. It felt good, real good. I mostly read late at night many times very late into the night, I couldn't help it. I couldn't put i down. I cried, I laughed and I smiled (a lot). Sometimes I felt like running around letting everyone about what I had read in the UB but soon learned that this book was not for everyone(by their choice). That was OK with me I was soaring. After skipping around for quite a while in the book I settled down and read it from front to back. Probably 2 or 3 time if you count how many times I had to reread much of it to better understand what I had just read.

Over time I gained blind faith. I know that no matter what happens, no matter how uncertain and no matter scary the future my seem ... IT"LL BE ALRIGHT. I can't begin to tell you how many times that has gotten me through the hard times. The other thing is always try to listen to that little voice in side when making decisions of right and wrong(ethically/morally speaking).

How has it changed the ones around me. I'm not sure. How would they be different if I had not found the book and I were different? My wife and children have heard of and about the UB from me over the years as have others from time to time but none that I know of read the UB. But many has heard of what it says by actions and my reasons those action. That's not to say I always do the right thing. OH, boy let's not go there! But I try and try hard. I know that's all that's expected of me.

If you have children of your own and you really love them it's easy to understand the relationship God has with you. If you stay on the leash, have faith and be what you want your children to be. It will be what God wants from you.

PS About the faith thing. Don't worry about how it will work out just know that it will. I may not be what you want or expect but remember God knows what you need.

Guest mod2
Hi Matt

I'm a newbie here also but was guided to the Urantia book over 30 yrs ago. At that time in my life I was searching for something in my life and had no clue as to what it was. I dabbled with metaphysics, meditation and tried to read the bible. Always hoping to find anything that would ease this longing I felt inside. One day while at a friends house I walked by her bookshelf and the Urantia book caught my attention. Normally a book of that size would have been would have been placed back on the self and forgotten but for some reason I couldn't pass it by. I asked to borrow the book. Very soon I realized it was going to be part of my life for a long time so I purchased my own copy. The rest of course is history.

You ask how do others walk with God?

After thinking about your question I guess I'd have to say I don't. It's more like I let him led me kind of like a dog on a leash. It's a little unnerving at times for the leash is very long which allows one to wander off the path quite a bit. The further you wander from the path the more steps you must take to get back on it as opposed to just staying on the path in the first place but that's the learning part. Just never let go of the leash for he will keep leading you.

How has it changed my life?

Well that depends on what part of my life we look at.

When I first started reading the book I jumped around a lot to get a feel for what it contained and how it feltabout what I read. It felt good, real good. I mostly read late at night many times very late into the night, I couldn't help it. I couldn't put i down. I cried, I laughed and I smiled (a lot). Sometimes I felt like running around letting everyone about what I had read in the UB but soon learned that this book was not for everyone(by their choice). That was OK with me I was soaring. After skipping around for quite a while in the book I settled down and read it from front to back. Probably 2 or 3 time if you count how many times I had to reread much of it to better understand what I had just read.

Over time I gained blind faith. I know that no matter what happens, no matter how uncertain and no matter scary the future my seem ... IT"LL BE ALRIGHT. I can't begin to tell you how many times that has gotten me through the hard times. The other thing is always try to listen to that little voice in side when making decisions of right and wrong(ethically/morally speaking).

How has it changed the ones around me. I'm not sure. How would they be different if I had not found the book and I were different? My wife and children have heard of and about the UB from me over the years as have others from time to time but none that I know of read the UB. But many has heard of what it says by actions and my reasons those action. That's not to say I always do the right thing. OH, boy let's not go there! But I try and try hard. I know that's all that's expected of me.

If you have children of your own and you really love them it's easy to understand the relationship God has with you. If you stay on the leash, have faith and be what you want your children to be. It will be what God wants from you.

PS About the faith thing. Don't worry about how it will work out just know that it will. I may not be what you want or expect but remember God knows what you need.

Gary,

When you talk about God walking you with a leash like a dog it is so fabulous, I can't get the picture out of my mind of those smart little dogs , walking with their Master's with the leash all gathered up in their mouth, leading the person, like the DOG IS WALKING THE MASTER. It seems such an apt visual metaphor for our relationship with God (sometimes).

Thank You

Bill Martin

Guest Gary

Bill

That's not quite how I had visualized it. To me It's more like God being the master leading me down the path but giving me the freedom to wander off the path as I choose but if I keep a hold of the leash I'll always get back to the path. God ahead or in front of me showing me the way. The dog is loyal to the master and wants to please him and serve him. The best trained and most obedient walks close to the master and follows his lead but never ahead of the master trying to pull away.

Lovely metaphor Gary. Thanks.

God leading the dog, not the other way around. I find that the dog (me) most of the time, is oblivious of the connection (leash) to its master. It is so focused to what's in front of its nose. So many interesting smells and distractions along the way. God patiently leading dog along the path. Ocassionally the dog strays too far and gets hurt, the pain causing it to instinctively get back closer to the holder of the leash, to the hand that pats its head gently. A few steps later, a new smell beckons and off it goes again. Not sure if this dog is trainable at all. The dog walker says, "Let's move on, little doggie."

Mario

Bill

That's not quite how I had visualized it. To me It's more like God being the master leading me down the path but giving me the freedom to wander off the path as I choose but if I keep a hold of the leash I'll always get back to the path. God ahead or in front of me showing me the way. The dog is loyal to the master and wants to please him and serve him. The best trained and most obedient walks close to the master and follows his lead but never ahead of the master trying to pull away.

Gary,

Thank you for your vivid portrait of God and the relationship he has with humans! The philosophy behind what you said can be interpreted in so many different ways. Such as, the leash is only so long, but still long enough for us to stray away from God. However, God is always there, trying to pull us back to his side, to protect us, feed us, and love us the way he wants us to love others.

Sadly though, not all humans are God's best friend. Again though, the leash part, wow, it makes sense! Some folks can walk with ease, other try to lead with the leash in their mouth, pulling. Some so stubborn, so as not to move forward! You could look at this in so many different ways! Thanks!!!

I see what you mean, Rick.... I'm curious as to what three "beings" you talk to inside yourself?

Hi Matt4,

According to the book, Father, Michael(Jesus) and the Divine Minister are personally present in us. The Minister supplies mind, the Master bestows the Spirit of Truth, and Father is our Paradise Partner, the promise of eternal friendship. I believe the revelations that they want to be our personal friends and divine advisors. If I'm going to worship them, they must be friends--at least, Divine Loves at best.

Jesus referred to the Spirit of Truth with a personal pronoun and declared the SoT is his personal presence in us. The fragment of God is 'prepersonal', but love can pass between you, even communications for 1st Circlers. The Mother of Mind is also the Spirit Mother of all Michael's children, even us! Her seven-fold Spirit makes the mind a friendly place for all four of us to gather, commune where I enjoy the rewards of inner contact with the Trinity of indwelling Divinity.

I talk to them, relate my current problems and progress. I pray to them, and offer worship as I understand it. I can't say that they answer me directly but I do note that things seem to work out, answers do come, and I have, in a measure, found some degree of peace and comfort from association with these beautiful inner shinings, even if I'm still dull of spirit and slow to learn. But I must admit, they seem as one, differentiating them feels both unnecessary and slippery. Probably we'll do better at this as attainments mount.

Please forgive the year's delay in answering, missed your question somehow. Rick

I talk to them, relate my current problems and progress. I pray to them, and offer worship as I understand it. I can't say that they answer me directly but I do note that things seem to work out, answers do come, and I have, in a measure, found some degree of peace and comfort from association with these beautiful inner shinings, even if I'm still dull of spirit and slow to learn. But I must admit, they seem as one, differentiating them feels both unnecessary and slippery. Probably we'll do better at this as attainments mount.

So Rick, would you say that you feel the presence of God within you?

It is not so important that you should know about the fact of God as that you should increasingly grow in the ability to feel the presence of God. 155.6.12

Or, is it that your faith allows you to not only feel the presence of God, but to actually know him?

Faith leads to knowing God, not merely to a mystical feeling of the divine presence. Faith must not be overmuch influenced by its emotional consequences. True religion is an experience of believing and knowing as well as a satisfaction of feeling. 103.9.11

The reason the Adjuster dwells in our actual minds is because he is our divine self. The Spirit of Truth sojourns with the soul and within the heart of man. The heart is what feels, the mind is what knows. There is a real partnership within us with only one perfectly unified goal, and it is beautiful to behold.

So Rick, would you say that you feel the presence of God within you?

Or, is it that your faith allows you to not only feel the presence of God, but to actually know him?

Yes to the first Bonita,

On the second, change the Or is it, to, And it is.

Is there a word for feel/know? Emocognizance? Obviously we are all feeling and knowing greater capacity by degrees.

Baby-steppin' to Paradise, Rick

Dear Friends,

God is the very real within me. I come closer and flitter away only to once more clear my mind for closer approach to the Divine within. Very briefly, at times, I am altogether too much animal. Thankfully those moments are diminishing in intensity and duration as more attention is payed to conscientiously clearing the deitrus of now useless scaffolding from the building site of the kingdom in my mind.

I have decided that this is where I WANT TO LIVE ALL THE TIME FROM HERE ON OUT FOREVER. This is where I belong so i am building a permanent residence. The way this is being accomplished is meditation and action. With a quiecent mind stilled by worship, as consciously breathe in GOD/LOVE/LIFE a violet vapor of cleansing Spirit flows out from the center to refresh my soul. As I exhale SIN is exhaled from my mouth in a greenish cloud flecked with the insect-like waste products of unspiritualized thinking. (I got the images from the "sensitive" in the "Green Mile" movie. As time disappears to my senses, the "insects" are fewer and fewer and with my mind at rest and the "zone of contact" pristine and fragrant, i am once more prepared to sincerely do my God's bidding.

Because of some weaknesses and persistent habits, i am unable to maintain this state of grace for extended periods but know now my direction and my destiny.

I am hopefully expectant and supremely confident i will learn what I need to make this zone a pleasant, fragrant garden

in which my betrothed and i can become intimate, cooperative, fruitful and eventually-ONE.

This destiny of eternal becomingness with God is my thrilling destiny. Possessed with patience and focused on the Father I will more willingly give him sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of his emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of his arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of his selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of his choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of his ceaseless endeavors."

Your Servant,

Bill Martin

P.S. This all sounds Good because it Is Good.

that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors--thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling.

That is quite an awesome post Bill. You covered so many "touchy" subjects, I'm not sure where to begin in commenting on what you said. But, something within me wants to make a comment because you shared a part of you that is really beautiful.

The personal time we spend with God is so special, so intimate and so sublime that it is difficult to put it into words. I live alone and spend a great deal of time alone with God. But, I have found that if I allow God to influence my life, I actually spend an equal amount of time with others and this balance seems to enhance the depth of spiritual experience. What I learn alone with God spills over into my life with other persons and vice versa. What I experience with him in private is given plenty of opportunities for expression in a rich, wholesome and animated life shared with other persons. Likewise, what I learn by relating to other persons enriches my inner spiritual life. I've tried so many times and in so many ways to describe this phenomenon but with very little success.

Many years ago I wrote the following entry in my spiritual journal:

While in the presence of God I feel a stirring deep with the chambers of my mind, calming me and tenderly beckoning me to welcome the gentle embrace of a completely accepting and unjudgmental love. One small step at a time, if I allow myself to edge closer, the garments of fear and shame peel away, the shadows of doubt crumble in the new light. I feel cleansed simply by being present, tranquil because there is no turmoil, no battles to be fought or won. There is pure stillness and in that stillness lies my joy and peace. When I embrace the stillness I realize that I am already in the arms of my loving Father being lifted by the zephyr of his love and filled by its beauty and goodness. I am healed and made whole, filled with grace and truth.

The love felt during God's embrace is wholly engulfing and encompasses every fiber of my being with a spirit magnetism. It is irresistible once experienced and I soon realize that there is nothing else that satisfies my hunger for righteousness. A sincere seeker will want to give up everything to maintain this embrace, but God is not an opiate. Although he soothes and calms me, he is also the elixir of life that enthralls and rejuvenates me, urging me to live lovingly. He is the lilt of the dance, the sweetness of the song and the wisdom of the ages all present in one holy instant of life.

But how do I hold onto this embrace when not in a contemplative state? How do I bring this peace into my life? In truth, I never have to let go of God, but I do. It is in gaining awareness that God never lets go of me that I come to realize His perpetual presence. God never goes missing, I do. He walks with me and never abandons me; he shares my humanness with me, befriends me and makes all things new within me, right now, this moment, and every subsequent moment.

The determiner of the differential of spiritual presence exists in your own hearts and minds and consists in the manner of your own choosing, in the decisions of your minds, and in the determination of your own wills. This differential is inherent in the freewill reactions of intelligent personal beings, beings whom the Universal Father has ordained shall exercise this liberty of choosing. And the Deities are ever true to the ebb and flow of their spirits in meeting and satisfying the conditions and demands of this differential of creature choice, now bestowing more of their presence in response to a sincere desire for the same and again withdrawing themselves from the scene as their creatures decide adversely in the exercise of their divinely bestowed freedom of choice. And thus does the spirit of divinity become humbly obedient to the choosing of the creatures of the realms. 150:04

Descriptive words of things beautiful cannot thrill like the sight thereof, neither can creedal words inspire men's souls like the experience of knowing the presence of God. 2083:04

Because of some weaknesses and persistent habits, i am unable to maintain this state of grace for extended periods but know now my direction and my destiny.

I am hopefully expectant and supremely confident i will learn what I need to make this zone a pleasant, fragrant garden in which my betrothed and i can become intimate, cooperative, fruitful and eventually-ONE.

I've been thinking about this, how hard it is to make our lives a perpetual prayer. As you all know, I read more than just TUB. I've spent a great deal of time reading what other people have written about their spiritual journey and have come across a few gems over the years.

In the following quote is expressed a comforting truth that we rarely consider. Our souls, independent of our conscious mind, crave worship. That is the state of mind within the soul, constant yearning for the source of perfection. Our true selves are always walking with God. This goes on in the background all of the time despite the upheavals and distractions of ordinary living. It is learning how to recognize our soul's yearning and bringing it into consciousness which is a challenge. We slowly learn how to put aside the whining of the material self so the true self can shine through.

If it doesn't go against forum rules or anger the administration, I'd like to share some words of fellow seekers:

"This state of prayer within us is something we always carry about, like a hidden treasure of which we are not consciously aware--or hardly so. Somewhere our heart is going full pelt, but we do not feel it. We are deaf to our praying heart, love's savor escapes us, we fail to see the light in which we live." André Louf, a French Cistercian Abbot (1929-present).

"Once again I saw him praying in me and I was as it were inside my body and I heard him praying over me, that is, over the inner man, and he was praying powerfully there, with groans. And during the whole of that time I was dumbfounded and astonished and I wondered who it was praying in me, but at the end of the prayer he spoke as if he was the Spirit, and so I woke up and recalled that the Apostle had said: 'The Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words.'" Patrick, Saint of Ireland

Here are some UB quotes that seem to go along with the above; or, the above goes along with them, however you wish to think about it:

5:3.7 Sincere worship connotes the mobilization of all the powers of the human personality under the dominance of the evolving soul and subject to the divine directionization of the associated Thought Adjuster. The mind of material limitations can never become highly conscious of the real significance of true worship. Man's realization of the reality of the worship experience is chiefly determined by the developmental status of his evolving immortal soul. The spiritual growth of the soul takes place wholly independently of the intellectual self-consciousness.

5:3.8 The worship experience consists in the sublime attempt of the betrothed Adjuster to communicate to the divine Father the inexpressible longings and the unutterable aspirations of the human soul—the conjoint creation of the God-seeking mortal mind and the God-revealing immortal Adjuster. Worship is, therefore, the act of the material mind's assenting to the attempt of its spiritualizing self, under the guidance of the associated spirit, to communicate with God as a faith son of the Universal Father. The mortal mind consents to worship; the immortal soul craves and initiates worship; the divine Adjuster presence conducts such worship in behalf of the mortal mind and the evolving immortal soul. True worship, in the last analysis, becomes an experience realized on four cosmic levels: the intellectual, the morontial, the spiritual, and the personal—the consciousness of mind, soul, and spirit, and their unification in personality.

146.2.10 "I have come forth from the Father; if, therefore, you are ever in doubt as to what you would ask of the Father, ask in my name, and I will present your petition in accordance with your real needs and desires and in accordance with my Father's will."

180.2.1 "If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition."

Hi everyone,

What a wonderful topic! I ran across it this morning for the first time and feel so much affinity for the experiences and longings and challenges that you all have expressed.

Perfection hunger is such a beautiful difficult predicament. I feel my perfection hunger very palpably. Sometimes it feels like love itself. Love for Father. And at those times it is the most precious of moments. The desire to be close to God, to be with God, is exalting, a living prayer.

At other times, though, my perfection hunger is painful. I sometimes feel so impossibly far away from God, or I know I am being willful (not only not doing His Will, but not even giving it any consideration). Sometimes my prayers are apologies. "I am so sorry, I am so so sorry."

I am apologizing only to myself, and as finitely human my emotions of sorrow, guilt or despair may be, they are motivated by my spiritual desire. It has taken me a long time to realize that feeling distance from God are not moments of failure or weakness or even disconnection, but moments of truth. I know that in my sorrow, He is there. And my spiritual sorrow is a form of communion.

TUB suggests that walking with God "is nothing more or less than an exhibition of creature willingness to share the inner life with God", and I now believe this means all of the content of our inner life, from the highest joy to the deepest despair. God isn't waiting for me to be perfect. He has never rejected my creature limitations, only I have. And whatever my inner state, a simple hello whispered in my heart is a willingness to share myself with Him. Even if I don't feel His presence, I am turning toward Him.

..., a simple hello whispered in my heart ...

That "simple hello" ripples along the personality circuit directly

into our Father's heart. What a beautiful way to start each day!

Nigel