Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
tripageous

End Times/Apocolypse ect.

As a newbie here I want all of you to know how much your comments are appreciated.

I am happily surprised at the level of knowledge, intelligence, and friendliness I see on the board.

If I could chime in . . .

From what I hear from other sources, Bonita is right. The phrase they use is:

"Not the end of the world, but the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT."

I expect, as others have said, changes will be in the hearts of men - whether or not this occurs at

the same time as natural disasters is almost irrelevant. MHO.

Hello all,

In the biblical books of daniel and revelation, and certain gospels, it explaines that urantia will eventually be destroyed by god and all humans will go through a "final judgement". i have searched through the urantia book somewhat and am unable to find any information regarding these end time prophecies. Does the uranta book mention the end times at all or at least explain the human mis conceptions of the prophets that recieved these revalations?

There is no mention of an end times for Urantia.

Colter

Indeed, just plenty of implications about a future bright with light and life :)

Nigel

Hi Colter, all,

I thought I'd add a couple of comments on this topic. The Old Testament isn't so old in the scheme of things. The Prophets prophesied and the records were written, after Abraham who was mentored by Machiventa Melchizedek . When did that occur? [P.1015 - §1 It was 1,973 years before the birth of Jesus that Machiventa was bestowed upon the human races of Urantia.] Prior to those times, about 37,000 years ago, the default of Adam and Eve occurred. Prior to that occurred the Lucifer rebellion and the default of our then Planetary Prince, Caligastia. That’s why I say the OT isn’t so “old.” For me the OT is not so credible in every detail. The Prophets got as much revelation as they were able to get. The real problems for us occurred prior that.

The Urantia peoples are suffering the consequences of a double deprivation of help in this task of progressive planetary spiritual attainment. The Caligastia upheaval precipitated world-wide confusion and robbed all subsequent generations of the moral assistance which a well-ordered society would have provided. But even more disastrous was the Adamic default in that it deprived the races of that superior type of physical nature which would have been more consonant with spiritual aspirations.
P.382 - §4

The plan for Urantia is to achieve the wonderful and unimaginable glory of light and life. But I found one reference pertaining to us which indicates there is a plan to empty the entire planet should a physical catastrophe of doom occur to us. This is the plan in a worst case scenario. First they talk about how the Adam and Eve got here, and then about the dematerializing technique of interest.

While there is this dematerializing technique for preparing the Adams for transit from Jerusem to the evolutionary worlds, there is no equivalent method for taking them away from such worlds unless the entire planet is to be emptied, in which event emergency installation of the dematerialization technique is made for the entire salvable population. If some physical catastrophe should doom the planetary residence of an evolving race, the Melchizedeks and the Life Carriers would install the technique of dematerialization for all survivors, and by seraphic transport these beings would be carried away to the new world prepared for their continuing existence. The evolution of a human race, once initiated on a world of space, must proceed quite independently of the physical survival of that planet, but during the evolutionary ages it is not otherwise intended that a Planetary Adam or Eve shall leave their chosen world.
P.582 - §3

All the best,

Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert

When Jesus told the apostles that Jerusalem would be destroyed in the future, the apostles thought it had to mean the end of the world, judgement day, and the second coming. But Jesus was merely telling them to keep out of Jerusalem and find a safe hiding place during the war. Jesus never said it would be the end of the world or judgement day. And Jesus never gave a specific time for his second coming. The apostles were expecting the destruction of the material world and the establishment of heaven on earth, which is a fiction of their own imaginations.

176:1.6"In their minds these Jews were determined to connect the destruction of the temple with the “end of the world (1913).”

We are a sign-seeking race of creatures always wanting to glimpse the future, to know, to be told what is in store for us, what is to come. This curiosity with the pursuit of what is just beyond the "doors of perception," of supposing by the application is intense willfullness we can influence, contact, communicate or know what is "beyond," can lead to apprehension, anxiety, obsession and much unhappiness.

Jesus told those around him exactly what was to come. They heard something entirely different. It is the way we are and a prime reason, in my humble opinion, this most recent epochal revelation came in the form of a book we could go back to, over and over, discuss amongst ourselves, and arrive at a correct starting point in our effort to satisfy out truth-hunger.

P.438 - §2 In the more advanced planetary ages these seraphim enhance man's appreciation of the truth that uncertainty is the secret of contented continuity. They help the mortal philosophers to realize that, when ignorance is essential to success, it would be a colossal blunder for the creature to know the future. They heighten man's taste for the sweetness of uncertainty, for the romance and charm of the indefinite and unknown future.

The root of apocalyptic thinking is a misunderstanding of the purpose of evil and a lack of understanding of the nature of the Father. TUB has freed us from the fallacies of our evolutionary religion, but few are willing to free themselves from its cultural bondage.

101.7.4 There are four phases in the evolution of religious philosophy: Such an experience may become merely conformative, resigned to submission to tradition and authority. Or it may be satisfied with slight attainments, just enough to stabilize the daily living, and therefore becomes early arrested on such an adventitious level. Such mortals believe in letting well enough alone. A third group progress to the level of logical intellectuality but there stagnate in consequence of cultural slavery.
It is indeed pitiful to behold giant intellects held so securely within the cruel grasp of cultural bondage.
It is equally pathetic to observe those who trade their cultural bondage for the materialistic fetters of a science, falsely so called. The fourth level of philosophy attains freedom from all conventional and traditional handicaps and dares to think, act, and live honestly, loyally, fearlessly, and truthfully.

I was eventually going to address this issue in the history section. Should I open a discussion on the history behind this nonsense here on this thread or over there?

The root of apocalyptic thinking is a misunderstanding of the purpose of evil and a lack of understanding of the nature of the Father. TUB has freed us from the fallacies of our evolutionary religion, but few are willing to free themselves from its cultural bondage.

101.7.4 There are four phases in the evolution of religious philosophy: Such an experience may become merely conformative, resigned to submission to tradition and authority. Or it may be satisfied with slight attainments, just enough to stabilize the daily living, and therefore becomes early arrested on such an adventitious level. Such mortals believe in letting well enough alone. A third group progress to the level of logical intellectuality but there stagnate in consequence of cultural slavery.
It is indeed pitiful to behold giant intellects held so securely within the cruel grasp of cultural bondage.
It is equally pathetic to observe those who trade their cultural bondage for the materialistic fetters of a science, falsely so called. The fourth level of philosophy attains freedom from all conventional and traditional handicaps and dares to think, act, and live honestly, loyally, fearlessly, and truthfully.

I was eventually going to address this issue in the history section. Should I open a discussion on the history behind this nonsense here on this thread or over there?

Bonita, you might as well post your findings since you already have them. That's where the concept of the "New Jerusalem" came from. Jesus' warnings of the destruction of the old Jerusalem led to the fictitious belief that the "new Jerusalem" would be heaven on earth.

176:1.6" Even after this explicit warning, many of Jesus’ followers interpreted these predictions as referring to the changes which would obviously occur in Jerusalem when the reappearing of the Messiah would result in the establishment of the New Jerusalem and in the enlargement of the city to become the world’s capital (1913)."

Bonita, you might as well post your findings since you already have them. That's where the concept of the "New Jerusalem" came from. Jesus' warnings of the destruction of the old Jerusalem led to the fictitious belief that the "new Jerusalem" would be heaven on earth.

Hi Jessica. I have findings but they are not organized. The beliefs concerning the new Jerusalem have a convoluted origin. How about I just throw out some thoughts about the history of apocalyptic thinking and we spin off them?

There are certain characteristics that make apocalyptic writers and thinkers recognizable. There may be more than I've listed, but this is all I have at the moment:

• A strong emphasis on life in heaven rather than on the everyday human life experience.
  • Prophets functioned to reveal what was happening in God's world in order for man to understand his position in relation to God's world.
  • A strong emphasis on dreams, visions and communications with and through angels and other celestial intermediaries.
  • A belief in secret knowledge or mysteries that can be revealed through these intermediaries (vertical apocalypse) or at the end times (horizontal apocalypse).
  • The development of a coded, symbolic and esoteric language to describe dreams, visions and other celestial communications.
  • The habit of ascribing written communications to a famous or heroic person from the past.
  • A belief in a direct cause and effect relationship between faithfulness and fortune, or disloyalty and misfortune.
  • Confusion over why faithfulness did not always lead to fortune, why righteous people suffer and why evil people prosper.
  • A preoccupation with justice and the punishment of enemies and evil doers.
  • A pessimistic view of the world where evil forces were believed to be too strong to overcome by any ordinary means.
  • A belief that it is futile to try to find God in the evil dominated world because he lived in a separate divine realm.
  • A belief that the the only way to end the strong evil forces of the word was to end the world.
  • A focus on a transcendent reality and final redemption.
  • A belief in divine intervention in human affairs.
  • Preoccupation with cosmic cataclysms and human cataclysms including hell.
  • Battles with demons and deity over the fate of the world.
  • Overarching dualism, always at odds, with little hope for resolution without such battles and cataclysms.

Guest Ewald Bushman

I’m glad to see that you are looking in other places to answer your questions.

There are thousands of ancient documents or codex’s that did not make it into the Bible. I know this because I have a very large library that contains many of these documents.

But let me give you a little information regarding the Book of Revelation that I have had good fortune to find and is not readily available to many.

The Book of Revelation was penned by John of Patmos. He was instructed to write down the things he was shown by Jesus. Therefore, the actual Book should be called the Revelation of Jesus.

The original copies or translations contained a prefix which included a curse to anyone who altered the writings of that book. The preface statement indicated that the predicted events would come to pass but it included that they did not have to occur or if they did not as described. In most every copy of the bible that I have read less one, which I can not reveal their location out of respect for the way that I gained access to this copy, there is no preface to this book.

Since then I come to believe that Jesus had access to the future of Earth and found it necessary have this information be preserved into the future from that point. I can’t explain why I believe he did this at this time, only because it would take too long to explain and add supplemental coo berating information.

Remember that in the Urantia Book the life of Jesus came from the thought adjuster of one of his disciples. And the book of Revelation was dictated and presented after that time to someone not related to the disciples.

Plus the Urantia Book it more of a History Book in a sense then a revelation of things that will occur on Urantia and the Universes of time and space.

So, have Faith Brother in that GOD and Jesus live and that they are closer then you could possibly think.

Hi all,

I found this on another sister Urantia site. It already compares The Book of Revelation with the Urantia Book and you can find it here: Urantia/Bk of Revelations cross reference

For me, after re-reading tBoR, it seems to me that it is not all related to that which is to become in the future. Like all references, one must pick through to find the truths.

TUB tells us that at one time the Book of Revelation was a great revelation. However, what we read today is only fragments of the original and in adulterated form.

139:4.14 When in temporary exile on Patmos, John wrote the Book of Revelation, which you now have in greatly abridged and distorted form. This Book of Revelation contains the surviving fragments of a great revelation, large portions of which were lost, other portions of which were removed, subsequent to John's writing. It is preserved in only fragmentary and adulterated form.

The portions of John's writing which remain intact are:

Rev. 4:4-6

Rev. 12:4

Rev. 15:2

Rev. 21:1,2

We also know that a person by the name of Nathan contributed to the original Revelation and that there were at least three revisions, one by an astrologer who added all the references to astrology. Researchers and scholars have unearthed over 1,650 variations of the text. The present day version of the text dates to the late third, early fourth century.

One of my most favorite quotes is from Revelation 3:20, also found in TUB p. 1765 and 1829:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Rev. 3:20

Remember that I have said: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in." UB p. 1765

Nevertheless, to all who are honest of heart and sincere in faith, it remains eternally true: "Behold, I stand at the doors of men's hearts and knock, and if any man will open to me, I will come in and sup with him and will feed him with the bread of life; we shall be one in spirit and purpose, and so shall we ever be brethren in the long and fruitful service of the search for the Paradise Father." UB p. 1829

Guest Ewald Bushman

Bonita

It appears to me that the Revelation of John written about in the Urantia Book was the version written by the disciple John.

The John who wrote the version of Revelation that was used in the Bible is a different John.

I have a copy of those fragments that the Urantia Book is referring too.

And the History Chanel has recently updated their programs referring to the End-Times to include a notation to many of the apocryphal and pseudo-apocryphal New Testament texts to explain the difference between these two.

The reason that they refer to the Biblical Revelation as being written by John of Patmos, was to distinguish that he was not John the Disciple.

John the Apostle was exiled on the island of Patmos. The Book of Revelation we have today actually has several authors, but John the Apostle was the original author. It was the other authors who contributed to the adulterated work we have today.

The origin of the myth about there being two John authors began with Dionysius, the bishop of Alexandria in the third century. He used the writings of Eusebius in which two Johns were named: John the Apostle and John the Elder, in order to stop a devastating belief of millenarianism caused by a literal interpretation of the text (Millenarianism is the belief in a 1,000 year reign of Christ on Earth). By implying that another John other than the apostle wrote the text, he was trying to diminish the power of the cult that had formed over its literal interpretation.

John the Elder is probably Nathan, the author of 2 and 3 John and the Gospel of John under the direction of John the Apostle.

121:8.10 4. The Gospel of John. The Gospel according to John relates much of Jesus’ work in Judea and around Jerusalem which is not contained in the other records. This is the so-called Gospel according to John the son of Zebedee, and though John did not write it, he did inspire it. Since its first writing it has several times been edited to make it appear to have been written by John himself. When this record was made, John had the other Gospels, and he saw that much had been omitted; accordingly,
in the year A.D. 101 he encouraged his associate, Nathan, a Greek Jew from Caesarea, to begin the writing
. John supplied his material from memory and by reference to the three records already in existence. He had no written records of his own. The Epistle known as “First John” was written by John himself as a covering letter for the work which Nathan executed under his direction.

Also, there arose some church fathers who believed that John Mark actually wrote the text. It was this controversy, begun by Dionysius, that eventually diminished the authority of Revelations and nearly denied its position in the canonical scriptures.

TUB tells us that John the Apostle was the original author of the text but only fragments of his writings remain in the version we have today. Either way, the original text was not meant to be apocalyptic. The original text was a "great revelation", whereas the apocalyptic flavor of the text we know of today is due to its adulteration.

139:4.14 When in temporary exile on Patmos, John wrote the Book of Revelation, which you now have in greatly abridged and distorted form. This Book of Revelation contains the surviving fragments of a great revelation, large portions of which were lost, other portions of which were removed, subsequent to John’s writing. It is preserved in only fragmentary and adulterated form.

Guest rich.sachs

176:2.6 Likewise, when the world has passed through the long winter of material-mindedness and you discern the coming of the spiritual springtime of a new dispensation, should you know that the summertime of a new visitation draws near.

176:2.8 Of all the discourses which the Master gave his apostles, none ever became so confused in their minds as this one, given this Tuesday evening on the Mount of Olives, regarding the twofold subject of the destruction of Jerusalem and his own second coming. There was, therefore, little agreement between the subsequent written accounts based on the memories of what the Master said on this extraordinary occasion. Consequently, when the records were left blank concerning much that was said that Tuesday evening, there grew up many traditions; and very early in the second century a Jewish apocalyptic about the Messiah written by one Selta, who was attached to the court of the Emperor Caligula, was bodily copied into the Matthew Gospel and subsequently added (in part) to the Mark and Luke records. It was in these writings of Selta that the parable of the ten virgins appeared. No part of the gospel record ever suffered such confusing misconstruction as this evening's teaching. But the Apostle John never became thus confused.

apocalyptic - predicting or presaging imminent disaster and total or universal destruction.

there's no physical catastrophe to this world, simply a coming of a divine son and/or machiventa melchizedek as the spiritual ruler and/or other celestial beings to help the world become better.

Hello all,

In the biblical books of daniel and revelation, and certain gospels, it explaines that urantia will eventually be destroyed by god and all humans will go through a "final judgement". i have searched through the urantia book somewhat and am unable to find any information regarding these end time prophecies. Does the uranta book mention the end times at all or at least explain the human mis conceptions of the prophets that recieved these revalations?

176:2.6 Likewise, when the world has passed through the long winter of material-mindedness and you discern the coming of the spiritual springtime of a new dispensation, should you know that the summertime of a new visitation draws near.

176:2.8 Of all the discourses which the Master gave his apostles, none ever became so confused in their minds as this one, given this Tuesday evening on the Mount of Olives, regarding the twofold subject of the destruction of Jerusalem and his own second coming. There was, therefore, little agreement between the subsequent written accounts based on the memories of what the Master said on this extraordinary occasion. Consequently, when the records were left blank concerning much that was said that Tuesday evening, there grew up many traditions; and very early in the second century a Jewish apocalyptic about the Messiah written by one Selta, who was attached to the court of the Emperor Caligula, was bodily copied into the Matthew Gospel and subsequently added (in part) to the Mark and Luke records. It was in these writings of Selta that the parable of the ten virgins appeared. No part of the gospel record ever suffered such confusing misconstruction as this evening's teaching. But the Apostle John never became thus confused.

apocalyptic - predicting or presaging imminent disaster and total or universal destruction.

there's no physical catastrophe to this world, simply a coming of a divine son and/or machiventa melchizedek as the spiritual ruler and/or other celestial beings to help the world become better.

Rich;

Regarding your comment; " there's no physical catastrophe to this world...."

There are quite possibly millions of people who would disagree with that statement; namely all of those who have been severely affected by the huge earthquake in Japan; plus all of those who have been recently affected by flooding all over the globe; plus those people who have been affected by the severe winter storms which have swept over a large portion of the USA over the past 6 months, breaking previous records

; plus those people who have been affected by the record breaking number of tornadoes which have swept over very large portions of south east USA in the month of April.

Example: past history of the number tornadoes in the month of April average number is 185 This April 2011 As of today the number of tornadoes stands at 954 . Average number of people killed in April is 6 This April the number is 300. In the past 24 hours 250 people were killed as 300 tornadoes hit the USA. One of these tornadoes was 1 mile wide.....more than 20 times larger than typical tornado.

For those people affected by the above noted events, plus the millions who are starving at this very moment, it is a physical catastrophe.