Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Mario

Membership question

Santiago Kneeland, the new membership chair of the Urantia Association of Mexico (AUM), asked for help in dealing with their database of 503 members so that he can update their information in the UAI database. Perhaps you can help us.

I suggested that before he enters their information in the database, AUM or its governing board needs to determine who is a MEMBER and NON-MEMBER. If all the people in their database are members, it means that when their association is having a meeting, deciding on issues or having an election, they need at least 167 people (a quorum is 1/3 of members) participating in order to have a valid meeting or election.

In my local association several years ago we had an election problem where the results were contested because there was ?no quorum.? We had a small core of regulars and many non-participants. It was finally decided for all associations in the US?not certain about this? that only those who have paid their dues are considered members. Even someone who is active (attends events, hosts a study group) is not considered a member if that person has not paid the annual membership fee. The desire to be inclusive of all our fellow readers is strong, but we have to draw the line somewhere if we are to have a quorum and get anything done.

I was just checking the Charter and Bylaws

http://www.urantia-uai.org/IUA_Charter.html

http://www.urantia-uai.org/IUA_bylaws.html

There is no mention of membership fees being a mandatory requirement for all associations. Does each association decide whether to include it as one of the requirements for membership? Anyway, Santiago, whatever your association decides as criteria for membership?make it clear and simple. You want to avoid future disputes. For those associations where dues are not a requirement, how do they decide who is a member and non-member?

Mario

Greetings Mario and Santiago,

The requirement for dues was not included in the IUA bylaws specifically because membes from some of the less affluent countries could not reasonable afford dues. The bylaws of local or national associations are free to add a dues requirement for their members. Nevertheless, members are required to satisfy the other requirements for membership spelled out in the IUA Charter/bylaws. Perhaps the most strigent requirement is that the members must have read The Urantia Book in its entirety. That requirement may segregate the 500 members in the AUM into full members and associate members. Mario's comment about having a quorum to conduct business is certainly valid and can be a problem. The AUM may want to consider splitting into a number of local associations wherein the voting members of th national AUM would be only the Presidents and Vice-presidents of the local associations. That way, it is much easier to attain a quorum.

Peace,

Travis

Hello Santiago:

As to determining the manner in which members are accounted for, we in GLMUA have actually set up our database to include membership information, as well as that for our Associate Members (those that are currently reading but have not yet completed the book in its entirety). As to dues, I recall, as Travis stated, that all Associations have the right to set their own dues. If you would like more information on how to change your current database setup or if you haven't started setting one up yet, please let me know and I would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Sheila Schneider

GLMUA Secretary

Hi Mario, may I email this to myself to send on as a *Topic for Discussion*

to our Local Association? oR, could you re-state the question for that purpose?

Thank you, Mario, and i'm sure glad I found this, but realize it is late and there may be a policy agreement now in place, already. If so, WHAT is it?

I've been recently told that observers at the UAUS CLP meeting need be "dues paying members" of the UAI, but only to ask them before accepting their reservation as observers, not need to do "a 3rd degree"

investigation . . . to determine their qualification for attendance July 26th at Dumas Bay Centre. (11 :rolleyes: AM)

Ellen

Santiago Kneeland, the new membership chair of the Urantia Association of Mexico (AUM), asked for help in dealing with their database of 503 members so that he can update their information in the UAI database. Perhaps you can help us.

I suggested that before he enters their information in the database, AUM or its governing board needs to determine who is a MEMBER and NON-MEMBER. If all the people in their database are members, it means that when their association is having a meeting, deciding on issues or having an election, they need at least 167 people (a quorum is 1/3 of members) participating in order to have a valid meeting or election.

In my local association several years ago we had an election problem where the results were contested because there was "no quorum." We had a small core of regulars and many non-participants. It was finally decided for all associations in the US?not certain about this? that only those who have paid their dues are considered members. Even someone who is active (attends events, hosts a study group) is not considered a member if that person has not paid the annual membership fee. The desire to be inclusive of all our fellow readers is strong, but we have to draw the line somewhere if we are to have a quorum and get anything done.

I was just checking the Charter and Bylaws

http://www.urantia-uai.org/IUA_Charter.html

http://www.urantia-uai.org/IUA_bylaws.html

There is no mention of membership fees being a mandatory requirement for all associations. Does each association decide whether to include it as one of the requirements for membership? Anyway, Santiago, whatever your association decides as criteria for membership?make it clear and simple. You want to avoid future disputes. For those associations where dues are not a requirement, how do they decide who is a member and non-member?

Mario

Hi Ellen,

In the UAI charter, article 3, membership http://www.urantia-uai.org/charter/UAI.Charter.eng.htm#3

it does not spell out that members need to pay dues.

As far as I know UAUS (United States) and I believe Canada also require members to be dues-paying.

I do not know what is the policy regarding local associations that are part of national associations, whether these local groups can decide to waive the dues requirement.

Maybe Jerry Prentice or Travis Binion can help you out on this. You may want to contact these two guys, or bring this up on the UAI list for a quicker answer.

If we are thinking long-term this part of the forum is the best place to discuss this issue. 10-20 years from now we may not be here, but those who follow us will still be able (if this forum is still around) to retrieve the answer to your question.

Mario

Hi Mario, may I email this to myself to send on as a *Topic for Discussion*

to our Local Association? oR, could you re-state the question for that purpose?

Thank you, Mario, and i'm sure glad I found this, but realize it is late and there may be a policy agreement now in place, already. If so, WHAT is it?

I've been recently told that observers at the UAUS CLP meeting need be "dues paying members" of the UAI, but only to ask them before accepting their reservation as observers, not need to do "a 3rd degree"

investigation . . . to determine their qualification for attendance July 26th at Dumas Bay Centre. (11 :rolleyes: AM)

Ellen