Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Rick Warren

Global Warming and the Urantia Papers

The Leipzig group’s interbreeding theory would undercut the present belief that all human populations today draw from the same gene pool that existed a mere 50,000 years ago. “What we falsify here is the strong out-of-Africa hypothesis that everyone comes from the same population,” Dr. Paabo said.

Great articles, thanks Bonita. Seems that Neanderthals did mate with modern humans, causing a 1-4% contribution to the modern human genome. The science has such a difficult time getting such old DNA, but several scientists sign on to the mating proof.

I would think that without a Sangkik DNA sample it could never be proven that modern humans don't have any Sangkik DNA, and since TUB says Sangkiks upstepped Neanderthals, and all we have is a showing that Neanderthal DNA in in modern humans, one can conclude that modern humans also got some Sangkik DNA from Neanderthals.

Those who posted on this old thread 2 years ago taking the "out-of-Africa" hypothesis as being gospel seem out of school with current finds, and for any DNA hypothesis to become gospel there would have to be studies of all extinct humans DNA in order to see what survived or didn't in modern humans, i.e. it seems no one knows what part of modern human DNA was influenced. I think the "out-of-Africa" hypothesis is based on a theory of starting with the "Eve" of modern humans, so I wonder how they concluded that this "Eve" was the first modern human, i.e. where did her DNA come from?

Seems this DNA science is in its infancy.

from http://evolution.suite101.com/article.cfm/...onal-hypothesis

A ‘replacement with hybridization’ model argues for some genetic exchange between modern African humans and indigenous populations. A recent synthesis of the current mtDNA, Y-chromosomal, and autosomal data for modern human populations suggest that there were two major expansions from Africa 600,000 and 95,000 years ago, but that only 90% of the nuclear (non-mitochondrial) haplotype trees demonstrate African roots. This genetic evidence suggests that regionally distinct archaic populations did contribute to the modern human genome. Many proponents of this view also argue that morphological characteristics of early modern humans in Eurasia demonstrate inter-breeding of modern humans and archaic Europeans.

Read more at Suite101: Out of Africa vs. the Multiregional Hypothesis: Competing Views on the Evolution of Modern Humans http://evolution.suite101.com/article.cfm/...s#ixzz0wVgMnH8S

Edited by Teobeck

I would think that without a Sangkik DNA sample it could never be proven that modern humans don't have any Sangkik DNA, and since TUB says Sangkiks upstepped Neanderthals, and all we have is a showing that Neanderthal DNA in in modern humans, one can conclude that modern humans also got some Sangkik DNA from Neanderthals.

Dear Teobeck,

As I understand it, the population which the UB refers to as "Sangik", became the foundation for modern humans (not forgetting that famous extra tweak 38,000 years ago). An interesting point is made in the following article. The authors come to a conclusion that modern human and Neanderthal DNA appeared to start diverging 500,000 years ago. This just happens to be when Mr and Mrs Sangik had that extraordinary family :)

Link - Nature, 2006

"Neanderthals are the extinct hominid group most closely related to contemporary humans, so their genome offers a unique opportunity to identify genetic changes specific to anatomically fully modern humans. We have identified a 38,000-year-old Neanderthal fossil that is exceptionally free of contamination from modern human DNA. Direct high-throughput sequencing of a DNA extract from this fossil has thus far yielded over one million base pairs of hominoid nuclear DNA sequences. Comparison with the human and chimpanzee genomes reveals that modern human and Neanderthal DNA sequences diverged on average about 500,000 years ago. Existing technology and fossil resources are now sufficient to initiate a Neanderthal genome-sequencing effort."

For an interesting presentation on human evolution as presented by the UB, see UB taxonomy

Nigel

Thanks for that Nigel. I've at least learned that the out-of-Africa hypothesis is just that now, an hypotheses, since the discovery of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans.

The Multi Regional Hypothesis is now making a comeback, which is what I glean TUB story encompassing.

Multiregional hypothesis holds that modern humans evolved in all regions of the world simultaneously. Archaic humans were not replaced by anatomically modern humans. Instead, there was a significant degree of gene flow between Africa, Europe, and Asia, resulting in the in situ evolution of modern humans from local populations. In the Multiregional hypothesis, Neanderthals and Asian Homo erectus contributed to the modern human

Reading the former posters on this thread piqued my curiosity, as the "out-of'Africa" theory would make the TUB in error, and I just couldn't accept that. I'm no scientist, but after 20 years of TUB and 17 years before that of Bible study, I've found TUB the most inspiring information I've ever found. Since I was always knew the "Gospels" contained so much more spiritual truth than the "traditions" of the other NT books, TUB was a wonderful elaboration of those truths, in "living color".

At least now, with the 'net, I won't have to believe the "out-of-Africa" theory is scientific gospel. It most decidedly is not.