Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Rick Warren

PAPER 130 - ON THE WAY TO ROME

Greetings Carolyn, Alina, NelsonG, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests!

Gonod was not all about business. Apparently it was he who ordered this side trip to Crete:

...The travelers had but one purpose in going to Crete, and that was to play....
P.1436 - 2

Crete_location_map.png

About the Cretans:

...Jesus loved these Cretans, notwithstanding the harsh words which Paul later spoke concerning them....
P.1436 - 2

Paul wrote this about them in the Bible's New Testament:

Titus 1:10-16 "For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are always liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. "

The Cretan prophet Paul speaks of is Epimenides:

The Cretans, always liars, evil beasts, idle bellies!

— Epimenides, Cretica

Source/More

...On the mountainside in Crete Jesus had his first long talk with Gonod regarding religion....
P.1436 - 3

It looks like Crete is mostly mountain:

800px-Crete_topo.png

Source

One of the subthemes of the UB is the virtue of patience. Especially were Adam and Eve urged to be patient. Jesus gives Ganid a mini-lesson on patience in today's reading:

"...My son, everything must await the coming of its time. You are born into the world, but no amount of anxiety and no manifestation of impatience will help you to grow up. You must, in all such matters, wait upon time...." P.1436 - 4

In Paper 118:1 a Mighty Messenger took patience one step farther:

...Patience is exercised by those mortals whose time units are short; true maturity transcends patience by a forbearance born of real understanding.... P.1295 - 6

...And then he told Ganid the story of Moses and the forty years of watchful waiting and continued preparation....
P.1436 - 4

According to the Book of Exodus, Moses was born in a time when his people, the Children of Israel, were increasing in numbers and the Egyptian Pharaoh was worried that they might help Egypt's enemies. Moses' Hebrew mother, Jochebed, hid him when the Pharaoh ordered all newborn Hebrew boys to be killed, and the child was adopted as a foundling by the Egyptian royal family. After killing an Egyptian slavemaster, Moses fled across the Red Sea to Midian, where he encountered the God of Israel in the form of a "burning bush". God sent Moses back to Egypt to request the release of the Israelites. After the Ten Plagues, Moses led the Exodus of the Israelites out of Egypt and across the Red Sea, after which they based themselves at Mount Sinai, where Moses received the Ten Commandments. After 40 years of wandering in the desert, Moses died within sight of the Promised Land.

Source/More

About Fair Haven cited in today's reading:

...One thing happened on a visit to Fair Havens which Ganid never forgot....
P.1436 - 5

Kaloi Limenes (meaning "Good Harbors", "Fair Havens") is a natural port near the southernmost point of Crete. It is close to the village of Lentas (ancient Levin), and the unexcavated remains of Lassea, a port for the ancient settlement of Gortys.

Local legend as well as biblical scholars assert that Apostle Paul, in whose name a small church was built there (first in Byzantine times, then restored in the 1960s), landed at Kaloi Limenes to preach the Christian faith in Crete. Other scholars claim that the commercial ship carrying Paul from Caesaria to Rome, as a prisoner of the Romans, turned to the south of Crete to better sail under north-western winds and eventually had to take temporary refuge "at Fair Havens ... for a change in the wind."

Source/More

From the Bible's New Testament:

Acts 27:8 "And, hardly passing it, came unto a place which is called The fair havens; nigh whereunto was the city of Lasea."

Carolyn, this scene will inspire another great painting, won't it?!

...While the frightened child clung to him, he held the infuriated man at a safe distance by his powerful extended right arm until the poor fellow had exhausted himself beating the air with his angry blows....
P.1436 - 5

Tomorrow's reading has more about the events during their vacation on Crete. Section 6 tells of an encounter with: THE YOUNG MAN WHO WAS AFRAID

Thanks for reading. Forum Member's thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today's OPAD presentation are invited. Join the Forum

Much love, Rick/OPAD host

Overview of Paper 130.
On the Way to Rome

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Reader Tools, References & Links

Links To Previous OPAD Presentations

• Like 2

Yes, Rick,

Words often create a painting in our minds?

...Jesus loved these Cretans, notwithstanding the harsh words which Paul later spoke concerning them.... P.1436 - 2

When I read this quote it brought another picture to mind, but not a happy one. We often hear the word "Cretans" referred to someone who acts like an idiot or is arrogant. This idea has come from Paul???? :huh:

Kindred Spirit, :wub:

Carolyn

• Like 2

Hi Rick!

:) Carolyn, I researched and found this:

It is believed to Epimenides, Cretan poet who said:

"Cretans are always liars, injurious wild beasts, idle gluttons."

Of these concepts is considered that came the word idiot (also "cretino" Spanish language

:unsure: ) or be referred to the Cretans who were acting as what he described Paul.

This is all I found... mmm?

LOVE...

Alina

• Like 2

You are born into the world, but no amount of anxiety and no manifestation of impatience will help you to grow up.

You must, in all such matters, wait upon time. Time alone will ripen the green fruit upon the tree. Season follows season and sundown follows sunrise only with the passing of time

A hard lesson indeed

• Like 2

Hmmm...There's some confusion about the two words, Cretan and cretin:

Cretan Of or relating to Crete or its inhabitants. An inhabitant or a resident of Crete.

Cretinism is a very tragic congenital defect caused by the absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion and characterized by stunted physical and mental development. The physical deformity includes a dwarfed body with large head often accompanied by goiter. ‘Goiter’ (the disease), or ‘a goiter’ (the specific lump itself) – not certain of proper usage here and have heard it both ways – is a large protrusion from the neck caused by the swelling of the thyroid gland which results in a severe thyroid deficiency. I don’t see people suffering from cretinism (called cretins) around much anymore – I guess they can now catch it at birth and take care of it, just as you don’t see people with goiters around anymore, a very common sight when I was growing up and which doctors finally discovered was caused by an iodine deficiency – thus, now the boxed salt you buy at your local supermarket is marked ‘iodized.’

Source

• Like 1

You are born into the world, but no amount of anxiety and no manifestation of impatience will help you to grow up.

You must, in all such matters, wait upon time. Time alone will ripen the green fruit upon the tree. Season follows season and sundown follows sunrise only with the passing of time

A hard lesson indeed

Van and Amadon showed us the way.

• Like 1

Welcome to UAI Forum's One-Page-A-Day Online Study Session

Today's Presentation:

6. THE YOUNG MAN WHO WAS AFRAID

P.1437 - §1 While they were up in the mountains, Jesus had a long talk with a young man who was fearful and downcast. Failing to derive comfort and courage from association with his fellows, this youth had sought the solitude of the hills; he had grown up with a feeling of helplessness and inferiority. These natural tendencies had been augmented by numerous difficult circumstances which the lad had encountered as he grew up, notably, the loss of his father when he was twelve years of age. As they met, Jesus said: "Greetings, my friend! why so downcast on such a beautiful day? If something has happened to distress you, perhaps I can in some manner assist you. At any rate it affords me real pleasure to proffer my services."

P.1437 - §2 The young man was disinclined to talk, and so Jesus made a second approach to his soul, saying: "I understand you come up in these hills to get away from folks; so, of course, you do not want to talk with me, but I would like to know whether you are familiar with these hills; do you know the direction of the trails? and, perchance, could you inform me as to the best route to Phenix?" Now this youth was very familiar with these mountains, and he really became much interested in telling Jesus the way to Phenix, so much so that he marked out all the trails on the ground and fully explained every detail. But he was startled and made curious when Jesus, after saying good-bye and making as if he were taking leave, suddenly turned to him, saying: "I well know you wish to be left alone with your disconsolation; but it would be neither kind nor fair for me to receive such generous help from you as to how best to find my way to Phenix and then unthinkingly to go away from you without making the least effort to answer your appealing request for help and guidance regarding the best route to the goal of destiny which you seek in your heart while you tarry here on the mountainside. As you so well know the trails to Phenix, having traversed them many times, so do I well know the way to the city of your disappointed hopes and thwarted ambitions. And since you have asked me for help, I will not disappoint you." The youth was almost overcome, but he managed to stammer out, "But--I did not ask you for anything--" And Jesus, laying a gentle hand on his shoulder, said: "No, son, not with words but with longing looks did you appeal to my heart. My boy, to one who loves his fellows there is an eloquent appeal for help in your countenance of discouragement and despair. Sit down with me while I tell you of the service trails and happiness highways which lead from the sorrows of self to the joys of loving activities in the brotherhood of men and in the service of the God of heaven."

P.1437 - §3 By this time the young man very much desired to talk with Jesus, and he knelt at his feet imploring Jesus to help him, to show him the way of escape from his world of personal sorrow and defeat. Said Jesus: "My friend, arise! Stand up like a man! You may be surrounded with small enemies and be retarded by many obstacles, but the big things and the real things of this world and the universe are on your side. The sun rises every morning to salute you just as it does the most powerful and prosperous man on earth. Look--you have a strong body and powerful muscles--your physical equipment is better than the average. Of course, it is just about useless while you sit out here on the mountainside and grieve over your misfortunes, real and fancied. But you could do great things with your body if you would hasten off to where great things are waiting to be done. You are trying to run away from your unhappy self, but it cannot be done. You and your problems of living are real; you cannot escape them as long as you live. But look again, your mind is clear and capable. Your strong body has an intelligent mind to direct it. Set your mind at work to solve its problems; teach your intellect to work for you; refuse longer to be dominated by fear like an unthinking animal. Your mind should be your courageous ally in the solution of your life problems rather than your being, as you have been, its abject fear-slave and the bond-servant of depression and defeat. But most valuable of all, your potential of real achievement is the spirit which lives within you, and which will stimulate and inspire your mind to control itself and activate the body if you will release it from the fetters of fear and thus enable your spiritual nature to begin your deliverance from the evils of inaction by the power-presence of living faith. And then, forthwith, will this faith vanquish fear of men by the compelling presence of that new and all-dominating love of your fellows which will so soon fill your soul to overflowing because of the consciousness which has been born in your heart that you are a child of God.

P.1438 - §1 "This day, my son, you are to be reborn, re-established as a man of faith, courage, and devoted service to man, for God's sake. And when you become so readjusted to life within yourself, you become likewise readjusted to the universe; you have been born again--born of the spirit--and henceforth will your whole life become one of victorious accomplishment. Trouble will invigorate you; disappointment will spur you on; difficulties will challenge you; and obstacles will stimulate you. Arise, young man! Say farewell to the life of cringing fear and fleeing cowardice. Hasten back to duty and live your life in the flesh as a son of God, a mortal dedicated to the ennobling service of man on earth and destined to the superb and eternal service of God in eternity."

P.1438 - §2 And this youth, Fortune, subsequently became the leader of the Christians in Crete and the close associate of Titus in his labors for the uplift of the Cretan believers.

P.1438 - §3 The travelers were truly rested and refreshed when they made ready about noon one day to sail for Carthage in northern Africa, stopping for two days at Cyrene. It was here that Jesus and Ganid gave first aid to a lad named Rufus, who had been injured by the breakdown of a loaded oxcart. They carried him home to his mother, and his father, Simon, little dreamed that the man whose cross he subsequently bore by orders of a Roman soldier was the stranger who once befriended his son.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

• Like 1

Greetings Carolyn, Alina, NelsonG, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

The Midwayers don't mention how Ganid and Gonod reacted to this episode with the fearful young man. We can't even be sure they were there when it happened.

"...I would like to know whether you are familiar with these hills; do you know the direction of the trails? and, perchance, could you inform me as to the best route to Phenix?" P.1437 - 2

creteMap.jpg

Map Source

It's fascinating how Jesus turned the situation around and found a way to help this one. Imagine the look on his face when he heard:

"...As you so well know the trails to Phenix, having traversed them many times, so do I well know the way to the city of your disappointed hopes and thwarted ambitions. And since you have asked me for help, I will not disappoint you...."
P.1437 - 2

He took charge of the situation with such beautiful finesse, building the young man up, and in essence, setting him free:

"...Your strong body has an intelligent mind to direct it. Set your mind at work to solve its problems; teach your intellect to work for you; refuse longer to be dominated by fear like an unthinking animal...."
P.1437 - 3

These words of encouragement:

"...Trouble will invigorate you; disappointment will spur you on; difficulties will challenge you; and obstacles will stimulate you...."
P.1438 - 1

...bring to mind several similar quotes. From Paper 26:5:

...But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable....
P.291 - 3

This one is from the 28 morontia mota counterparts, in Paper 48:7:

...Difficulties may challenge mediocrity and defeat the fearful, but they only stimulate the true children of the Most Highs....
P.556 - 7

In his teaching at Tyre, Paper 156:5:, Jesus taught:

...The true believer does not grow weary in well-doing just because he is thwarted. Difficulty whets the ardor of the truth lover, while obstacles only challenge the exertions of the undaunted kingdom builder....
P.1740 - 8

"Fortune" is not mentioned elsewhere in the UB, or in the annals of history:

...And this youth, Fortune, subsequently became the leader of the Christians in Crete and the close associate of Titus in his labors for the uplift of the Cretan believers....
P.1438 - 2

But Titus had a book of the Bible's New Testament named after him, and the Catholic church sainted him. Paul writes this about him:

Titus 1:5 "For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee."

[Titus] rejoined Paul when he was in Macedon, and cheered him with the tidings he brought from Corinth. After this his name is not mentioned until after Paul's first imprisonment, when he was engaged in the organization of the church in Crete, where Paul had left him for this purpose.

His relics, now consisting of only his skull, are venerated in the Church of St. Titus, Heraklion, Crete to which it was returned in 1966 after being removed to Venice during the Turkish occupation.

Saint_Titus_%28Kosovo%2C_14th_c._Pech_Patriarch.%2C_S._Nicholas_church%29.jpg

Born............................................................1st century AD

Died.............................................................96 or 107 AD

Gortyn, Crete

Honored in:

Roman Catholic Church

Eastern Orthodox Churches

Eastern Catholic Churches

Lutheranism

Anglican Communion

Canonized...............................................Pre-Congregation

Major shrine...........................................Heraklion, Crete

Feast........................................................January 26 - February 6

Source/More

Such a strange and unlikely coincidence, almost like the Creator Son is repaying a debt before hand!

...Simon, little dreamed that the man whose cross he subsequently bore by orders of a Roman soldier was the stranger who once befriended his son....
P.1438 - 3

Simon is cited in all the Gospels except John. Mark mentions Rufus and Alexander:

Luke 23:26 "And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus."

Mark 15:21 "And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross."

Matthew 27:32 "And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross."

This is how the Midwayers reported the cross-bearing incident. They mention Alexander and Rufus here also. From Paper 187:1:

...This man Simon had come all the way from Cyrene, in northern Africa, to attend the Passover. He was stopping with other Cyrenians just outside the city walls and was on his way to the temple services in the city when the Roman captain commanded him to carry Jesus' crossbeam. Simon lingered all through the hours of the Master's death on the cross, talking with many of his friends and with his enemies. After the resurrection and before leaving Jerusalem, he became a valiant believer in the gospel of the kingdom, and when he returned home, he led his family into the heavenly kingdom. His two sons, Alexander and Rufus, became very effective teachers of the new gospel in Africa. But Simon never knew that Jesus, whose burden he bore, and the Jewish tutor who once befriended his injured son, were the same person.... P.2006 - 3

In tomorrow's reading Jesus encounters a curious Mithraic priest and delivers another discourse. Section 7 is titled: AT CARTHAGE--DISCOURSE ON TIME AND SPACE

Thanks for reading. Forum Member's thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today's OPAD presentation are invited. Join the Forum

Overview of Paper 130.
On the Way to Rome

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

• Like 3

Today's Presentation:

7. AT CARTHAGE--DISCOURSE ON TIME AND SPACE

P.1438 - §4 Most of the time en route to Carthage Jesus talked with his fellow travelers about things social, political, and commercial; hardly a word was said about religion. For the first time Gonod and Ganid discovered that Jesus was a good storyteller, and they kept him busy telling tales about his early life in Galilee. They also learned that he was reared in Galilee and not in either Jerusalem or Damascus.

P.1438 - §5 When Ganid inquired what one could do to make friends, having noticed that the majority of persons whom they chanced to meet were attracted to Jesus, his teacher said: "Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done," and then he quoted the olden Jewish proverb--"A man who would have friends must show himself friendly."

P.1439 - §1 At Carthage Jesus had a long and memorable talk with a Mithraic priest about immortality, about time and eternity. This Persian had been educated at Alexandria, and he really desired to learn from Jesus. Put into the words of today, in substance Jesus said in answer to his many questions:

P.1439 - §2 Time is the stream of flowing temporal events perceived by creature consciousness. Time is a name given to the succession-arrangement whereby events are recognized and segregated. The universe of space is a time-related phenomenon as it is viewed from any interior position outside of the fixed abode of Paradise. The motion of time is only revealed in relation to something which does not move in space as a time phenomenon. In the universe of universes Paradise and its Deities transcend both time and space. On the inhabited worlds, human personality (indwelt and oriented by the Paradise Father's spirit) is the only physically related reality which can transcend the material sequence of temporal events.

P.1439 - §3 Animals do not sense time as does man, and even to man, because of his sectional and circumscribed view, time appears as a succession of events; but as man ascends, as he progresses inward, the enlarging view of this event procession is such that it is discerned more and more in its wholeness. That which formerly appeared as a succession of events then will be viewed as a whole and perfectly related cycle; in this way will circular simultaneity increasingly displace the onetime consciousness of the linear sequence of events.

P.1439 - §4 There are seven different conceptions of space as it is conditioned by time. Space is measured by time, not time by space. The confusion of the scientist grows out of failure to recognize the reality of space. Space is not merely an intellectual concept of the variation in relatedness of universe objects. Space is not empty, and the only thing man knows which can even partially transcend space is mind. Mind can function independently of the concept of the space-relatedness of material objects. Space is relatively and comparatively finite to all beings of creature status. The nearer consciousness approaches the awareness of seven cosmic dimensions, the more does the concept of potential space approach ultimacy. But the space potential is truly ultimate only on the absolute level.

P.1439 - §5 It must be apparent that universal reality has an expanding and always relative meaning on the ascending and perfecting levels of the cosmos. Ultimately, surviving mortals achieve identity in a seven-dimensional universe.

P.1439 - §6 The time-space concept of a mind of material origin is destined to undergo successive enlargements as the conscious and conceiving personality ascends the levels of the universes. When man attains the mind intervening between the material and the spiritual planes of existence, his ideas of time-space will be enormously expanded both as to quality of perception and quantity of experience. The enlarging cosmic conceptions of an advancing spirit personality are due to augmentations of both depth of insight and scope of conscijusness. And as personality passes on, upward and inward, to the transcendental levels of Deity-likeness, the time-space concept will increasingly approximate the timeless and spaceless concepts of the Absolutes. Relatively, and in accordance with transcendental attainment, these concepts of the absolute level are to be envisioned by the children of ultimate destiny.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

• Like 1

Greetings Carolyn, Alina, NelsonG, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

About Carthage, it was cited in Paper 80:7 as part of the Andite expansion:

...Another great colony settled on the Mediterranean near the later site of Carthage. And from north Africa large numbers of Andites entered Spain and later mingled in Switzerland with their brethren who had earlier come to Italy from the Aegean Islands.... P.896 - 3

Carthage is a suburb of Tunis, Tunisia...and was the centre of the Carthaginian Empire in antiquity. The city has existed for nearly 3,000 years, developing from a Phoenician colony of the 1st millennium BC into the capital of an ancient empire.

Source/More

carthage-map.gif

The Carthaginian Empire, c.220 BCE

Map Source

This quote:

"...A man who would have friends must show himself friendly...." P.1438 - 5

...appears in the Old Testament:

Proverbs 18:24 "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. "

This, from today's reading, is one of a score of mentions of Persian Mithraism in the book:

...At Carthage Jesus had a long and memorable talk with a Mithraic priest about immortality, about time and eternity....
P.1439 - 1

The Mithraic Mysteries were a mystery religion practised in the Roman Empire from about the 1st to 4th centuries AD. The name of the Persian god Mithra, adapted into Greek as Mithras, was linked to a new and distinctive imagery. Writers of the Roman Empire period referred to this mystery religion by phrases which can be anglicized as Mysteries of Mithras or Mysteries of the Persians; modern historians refer to it as Mithraism, or sometimes Roman Mithraism. The mysteries were popular in the Roman military.

Worshippers of Mithras had a complex system of seven grades of initiation, with ritual meals. Initiates called themselves syndexioi, those "united by the handshake". They met in underground temples (called mithraea), which survive in large numbers. The cult appears to have had its centre in Rome.

Source/More

Today's reading is hardly the only instruction we have about time and space. The term, "time and space" appears in 237 paragraphs! Beginning in the Foreword, Section I:

The absolute level
is beginningless, endless, timeless, and spaceless. For example: On Paradise, time and space are nonexistent; the time-space status of Paradise is absolute.... P.2 - 13

A Mighty Messenger wrote these fascinating facts in Paper 118:9:

...Time and space are a conjoined mechanism of the master universe. They are the devices whereby finite creatures are enabled to coexist in the cosmos with the Infinite. Finite creatures are effectively insulated from the absolute levels by time and space. But these insulating media, without which no mortal could exist, operate directly to limit the range of finite action. Without them no creature could act, but by them the acts of every creature are definitely limited.... P.1303 - 2

More than once we are told there are regions outside of time and space, and that our perception of them changes as we mature in spirit, but this term "circular simultaneity" is not found anywhere else, time perception is relative. From Paper 54:5:

...Time, even in a universe of time, is relative....
P.618 - 2

I suspect this statement explains much about the relation of time and space, though I have to admit its meaning eludes me:

...Space is measured by time, not time by space....
P.1439 - 4

What does that mean?

The seven dimensions mentioned in today's reading:

...The nearer consciousness approaches the awareness of seven cosmic dimensions, the more does the concept of potential space approach ultimacy. But the space potential is truly ultimate only on the absolute level....
P.1439 - 4

...are enumerated in Paper 112:1:

...The type of personality bestowed upon Urantia mortals has a potentiality of seven dimensions of self-expression or person-realization. These dimensional phenomena are realizable as three on the finite level, three on the absonite level, and one on the absolute level....
P.1226 - 3

The last line of today's reading uses both transcendental and ultimate:

...Relatively, and in accordance with transcendental attainment, these concepts of the absolute level are to be envisioned by the children of ultimate destiny.... P.1439 - 6

Those words reflect previous revelations about this previously unknown level of being that 'transcends' time and space, but is not Absolute. From Paper 10:8:

...It would be inadvisable to discuss the functions of the Trinity of Ultimacy, but it may be disclosed that God the Ultimate is the Trinity manifestation comprehended by the Transcendentalers....
P.116 - 3

There is a whole Section on the Transcendentalers, Paper 31:8:

...You, being a creature, can conceive of a Creator, but you can hardly comprehend that there exists an enormous and diversified aggregation of intelligent beings who are neither Creators nor creatures. These Transcendentalers create no beings, neither were they ever created. In speaking of their origin, in order to avoid using a new term--an arbitrary and meaningless designation--we deem it best to say that Transcendentalers simply
eventuate
P.350 - 6

In tomorrow's reading, the last Section of Paper 130, the trio makes several stops where Jesus reverses a man heading for suicide, helps restore the faith of a "backslidden" man, and counsels a young street vendor who later becomes one of the early Christians. Section 8 is titled: ON THE WAY TO NAPLES AND ROME

Overview of Paper 130.
On the Way to Rome

• Like 3

I suspect this statement explains much about the relation of time and space, though I have to admit its meaning eludes me:

P.1439 - 4

I'll give it a try; My thoughts are that the revealators are assuming that every reader understands and agrees that material things are a vital part of this statement.

Without material things moving around it would have no meaning imho.

I sometimes try to figure out if time is just as intangible as space. I am personally more comfortable with time as opposed to space and this shapes my opinion. All measurements of material things within space that I know of are distance divided by time, not distance divided by space. All movement of material things occurs within space. I have always been comfortable with the idea of things within space that can be measured this way, making space between two objects something that I can then relate to. To me this statement just says that space is not a tangible thing without material things moving within it, therefore it is not usable for making measurements. It is more the measurement of moving things using time that defines space.

• Like 1

P.1439 - 4

I'll give it a try; My thoughts are that the revealators are assuming that every reader understands and agrees that material things are a vital part of this statement.

Without material things moving around it would have no meaning imho.

I sometimes try to figure out if time is just as intangible as space. I am personally more comfortable with time as opposed to space and this shapes my opinion. All measurements of material things within space that I know of are distance divided by time, not distance divided by space. All movement of material things occurs within space. I have always been comfortable with the idea of things within space that can be measured this way, making space between two objects something that I can then relate to. To me this statement just says that space is not a tangible thing without material things moving within it, therefore it is not usable for making measurements. It is more the measurement of moving things using time that defines space.

Thanks NelsonG,

Glad to hear this works for you. Seems like the thing that's hanging me up is the notion that space is measured by distance, and time is measure by change.

• Like 1

I think it best to take our opinions and run with them, otherwise remain confused.

The other side of this is that we are told about the efforts of the revealators to present enlarged concepts and the difficulties encountered.

Maybe this is more of a mental excercise than a scientific venture??

• Like 2

I think it best to take our opinions and run with them, otherwise remain confused.

The other side of this is that we are told about the efforts of the revealators to present enlarged concepts and the difficulties encountered.

Maybe this is more of a mental excercise than a scientific venture??

Definitely NelsonG, and we know some teachings will clarify with progress. Even if I can't now grasp this concept, it has little or nothing to do with my eternal survival. I'll get it, Father, just gimme time :)

• Like 1

Today's Presentation:

8. ON THE WAY TO NAPLES AND ROME

P.1440 - §1 The first stop on the way to Italy was at the island of Malta. Here Jesus had a long talk with a downhearted and discouraged young man named Claudus. This fellow had contemplated taking his life, but when he had finished talking with the scribe of Damascus, he said: "I will face life like a man; I am through playing the coward. I will go back to my people and begin all over again." Shortly he became an enthusiastic preacher of the Cynics, and still later on he joined hands with Peter in proclaiming Christianity in Rome and Naples, and after the death of Peter he went on to Spain preaching the gospel. But he never knew that the man who inspired him in Malta was the Jesus whom he subsequently proclaimed the world's Deliverer.

P.1440 - §2 At Syracuse they spent a full week. The notable event of their stop here was the rehabilitation of Ezra, the backslidden Jew, who kept the tavern where Jesus and his companions stopped. Ezra was charmed by Jesus' approach and asked him to help him come back to the faith of Israel. He expressed his hopelessness by saying, "I want to be a true son of Abraham, but I cannot find God." Said Jesus: "If you truly want to find God, that desire is in itself evidence that you have already found him. Your trouble is not that you cannot find God, for the Father has already found you; your trouble is simply that you do not know God. Have you not read in the Prophet Jeremiah, `You shall seek me and find me when you shall search for me with all your heart'? And again, does not this same prophet say: `And I will give you a heart to know me, that I am the Lord, and you shall belong to my people, and I will be your God'? And have you not also read in the Scriptures where it says: `He looks down upon men, and if any will say: I have sinned and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not, then will God deliver that man's soul from darkness, and he shall see the light'?" And Ezra found God and to the satisfaction of his soul. Later, this Jew, in association with a well-to-do Greek proselyte, built the first Christian church in Syracuse.

P.1440 - §3 At Messina they stopped for only one day, but that was long enough to change the life of a small boy, a fruit vendor, of whom Jesus bought fruit and in turn fed with the bread of life. The lad never forgot the words of Jesus and the kindly look which went with them when, placing his hand on the boy's shoulder, he said: "Farewell, my lad, be of good courage as you grow up to manhood and after you have fed the body learn how also to feed the soul. And my Father in heaven will be with you and go before you." The lad became a devotee of the Mithraic religion and later on turned to the Christian faith.

P.1440 - §4 At last they reached Naples and felt they were not far from their destination, Rome. Gonod had much business to transact in Naples, and aside from the time Jesus was required as interpreter, he and Ganid spent their leisure visiting and exploring the city. Ganid was becoming adept at sighting those who appeared to be in need. They found much poverty in this city and distributed many alms. But Ganid never understood the meaning of Jesus' words when, after he had given a coin to a street beggar, he refused to pause and speak comfortingly to the man. Said Jesus: "Why waste words upon one who cannot perceive the meaning of what you say? The spirit of the Father cannot teach and save one who has no capacity for sonship." What Jesus meant was that the man was not of normal mind; that he lacked the ability to respond to spirit leading.

P.1441 - §1 There was no outstanding experience in Naples; Jesus and the young man thoroughly canvassed the city and spread good cheer with many smiles upon hundreds of men, women, and children.

P.1441 - §2 From here they went by way of Capua to Rome, making a stop of three days at Capua. By the Appian Way they journeyed on beside their pack animals toward Rome, all three being anxious to see this mistress of empire and the greatest city in all the world.

• Like 1

Good Day Carolyn, Alina, NelsonG, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

One day, perhaps not too far into Urantia's future, these places: Malta, Syracuse, Messina, Naples, will come to know the Creator of a universe once visited their dusty little cities. He walked their streets and taught their citizens about God, his Father and our Father.

Today's text indicates they sailed due east from Tunisia (Carthage) to Malta, then north to the port city of Syracuse, then up Sicily's east coast to Messina. Then on farther north to Naples. Naples is hard to see on this map. It's just above Italy's ankle.

800px-Mediterranean_Relief.jpg

Map Source

This map has a closer view of Malta, Sicily, Syracuse and Messina:

sicily_malta_map.jpg

Map Source

They first encounter Claudus on Malta:

...Shortly he became an enthusiastic preacher of the Cynics, and still later on he joined hands with Peter in proclaiming Christianity in Rome and Naples....
P.1440 - 1

There is much about the Cynics, and the rest of the religions of that day in the next Paper--which OPAD begins presenting tomorrow.

These lines Jesus quotes to Ezra are all found in the Bible's Old Testament, Jeremiah and Job:

"`...You shall seek me and find me when you shall search for me with all your heart'? And again, does not this same prophet say: `And I will give you a heart to know me, that I am the Lord, and you shall belong to my people, and I will be your God'? And have you not also read in the Scriptures where it says: `He looks down upon men, and if any will say: I have sinned and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not, then will God deliver that man's soul from darkness, and he shall see the light'?"
P.1440 - 2

Jeremiah 24:7 "And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God..."

Job 33:27-28 "He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not; He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light."

About the little fruit vendor:

...The lad became a devotee of the Mithraic religion and later on turned to the Christian faith.... P.1440 - 3

He may have become a Roman soldier, who were famous for their devotion to spreading Mithraism:

"As a mystery religion it engulfed the Roman empire during the first four centuries of our era. Mithraic sanctuaries are found from Roman Arabia to Britain, from the Danube to the Sahara, wherever the Roman soldier went. Christian apologetics fiercely fought the cult they feared, and during the late fourth century A.D., as a victim of the Judaeo-Christian spirit of intolerance, Roman Mithraism was suppressed, its sanctuaries destroyed together with the last vestiges of religious freedom in the empire."

Source/More

This vignette is instructive:

...But Ganid never understood the meaning of Jesus' words when, after he had given a coin to a street beggar, he refused to pause and speak comfortingly to the man. Said Jesus: "Why waste words upon one who cannot perceive the meaning of what you say? The spirit of the Father cannot teach and save one who has no capacity for sonship." What Jesus meant was that the man was not of normal mind; that he lacked the ability to respond to spirit leading.... P.1440 - 4

Why should Jesus give alms to one who is dead to spirit? Isn't this saying, in essence, God and the Angels have empathy for and care about even those who are spiritually out of reach?

Finally, they are on their way into the heart of the empire:

...From here they went by way of Capua to Rome, making a stop of three days at Capua.... P.1441 - 2

ngbbs43616c49a83a8.jpg

Map Source

About the famous Appian Way:

...By the Appian Way they journeyed on beside their pack animals toward Rome, all three being anxious to see this mistress of empire and the greatest city in all the world.... P.1441 - 2

800px-Via_Appia_map.jpg

Map Source

450px-Via_appia.jpg

Remains of the Appian Way in Rome, near Quarto Miglio

Photo Source

Thus ends the story of the trio's long voyage from Jerusalem across the Mediterranean to Rome. Tomorrow's reading breaks from the storyline of this fascinating sojourn. Paper 131 begins a ten part essay by Ganid on: THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS

Overview of Paper 130.
On the Way to Rome

• Like 2