Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Rick Warren

UAI FORUM MOVING NOTICE

Thanks Rick. I'm sure they will think I'm a nut case. But let's not forget that it was a respected member of this very forum who hacked into my email, along with others, and spread it around the internet with the intent to slander. There are stinkers everywhere.

• Like 2

I'll be blunt. That is the lamest excuse for using private information I've ever heard. Don't they realize that with thousands of members there are going to be people with the same birthday? How about using a registration number?

Hi Bonita,

I'm sorry you're worried and upset.

I have a couple of comments. Registration at the UAI website is like Facebook registration. Facebook has over one billion accounts. One billion people put up their birth-date to register and they don't seem to mind. One billion! The webmaster suggested that a fake birth-date can be used to get in, as Bradly previously mentioned, and then, in the privacy settings, leave those 2 boxes unchecked. That's the only way to work around it.

When this forum is closed, archived, and preserved somewhere, it will be a fossil, a dinosaur, a relic. People may want to go back to investigate, inspect and study it, as we do relics and artifacts of the past. But really, life is a living and dynamic experience. God changes not, but just about everything else does change, and down here on Earth it has to. It's inevitable.

The experience of God-consciousness remains the same from generation to generation, but with each advancing epoch in human knowledge the philosophic concept and the theologic definitions of God
must
change. God-knowingness, religious consciousness, is a universe reality, but no matter how valid (real) religious experience is, it must be willing to subject itself to intelligent criticism and reasonable philosophic interpretation; it must not seek to be a thing apart in the totality of human experience.
P.69 - §7

New definitions of God and all other knowledge is changing. Social networking is where the action is regarding the Urantia Book. We've had a fun and somewhat exclusive experience here on the forum. In the scheme of things very, very few people come here to talk to each other. Over there at the new place it, a brand new experience is available for us, especially those of us who are "older"..I notice that "older" people such as myself are resistant to change. And the older we get the more resistant we can become. I speak for myself. But we have to go forward, not backward. And the website is taking us forward, by virtue of the vision, planning and expense of dedicated readers.

I am one of the most private people you would ever meet, and I'm older. I fully understand the skepticism, worry, and resistance to show up as the person I am, a real person with an identity, on the Internet. I did it and I'm not sorry, whatever may come of it. Maybe all the fear is for naught. It usually is. Your experience is unfortunate, but are you going to let that stop you?

My personal prayer is - I will go where he sends me, and I will do his bidding.

I hope you too, Bonita, will have the courage to join us over there.

All the best,

Meredith

• Like 2

Carolyn and Alina and all.......I am happy to report that the Open Forum discussion site is easy to use and navigate....it is very familiar in many ways. Like Rick suggests, just find that one place to begin and then do some poking around. I'll bet I will use some of those tools....eventually. But for now, I made my first reply post to Absonite's new thread on how the UB helps me to get closer to God in mind as a living, religious experience. I think this is going to be fun....eventually. Hate tech learning curves too. Got our first smart phones for Christmas last. Oh dear. Will never use 1% of its capabilities. But I'd like to know how to operate that harp of God when I get my hands on one....hope the Lord is more intuitive than most geeks and more sympathetic to tech challenged geezers like me. Don't let the new site intimidate you, we can do this thing. Imagine potential...and grab a shovel....there's work to be done in the Kingdom.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Hi Bradly,

I intended to say hello to you over there, but was busy talking to someone else on the instant message thingy. I'm learning how to use it too! I'm so glad you joined! It's a ton of fun.

Meredith

• Like 2

Dear Meredith, Bradly, Bonita, and Rick,

"A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Forum today!" :ph34r: ...unknown author

An Angel called; :rolleyes: read and showed me the "handbook." Her happiness at being able to have fun on the new Forum was contagious. ;) I caught the bug and within a few minutes I had taken the GIANT leap... :o. Imagine that? :unsure: At 71 you can still teach an "old" teacher new tricks. :wub:

Voila! It is fun to live chat at the "new" UAI Forum with friends. The cost was less than a good roast (a small one these days). <_< My angel knows that I love her almost as much as the invisible angels sitting with now!!!!!!!

Thank you dear angel ?, :wub: :wub: :wub:

Carolyn

• Like 2

Hello!

The new UAI website is a ton of fun, as Carolyn says.

I have a comment or two about subscribing. First, it doesn't cost anything. But I would add that the cost of developing and running this website is very huge. The expense of it will not decline over time. Going forward, if they decide to make a mobile application for cell phones, it will be even vastly more costly. Here in this forum, we have 17 sub-forums. Over there, you will find 900 sub-forums, and, get this, 16,000 prefixes. I haven't yet learned about prefixes, but I will learn! I think it means there are 16,000 places you can click on and go to.

The free part of the UAI website is called "General Public Urantia Dialogue Zone." OPAD is there, and today Rick has posted his work beginning with Paper 125. There are 13 other categories besides OPAD in this Zone, but to find them you have to click on "Gen/Pub/Uran/Zone", and they will be displayed for you. Select and comment on the one you choose, or start another thread on a subject of interest to you under one of the other headings.

Back to subscriptions. The free zone costs nothing. You can, however, be a paid subscriber - $20 gets you in, or as Carolyn says "less than the cost of a good roast." The subscription money has nothing to do with UAI membership, but has everything to do with paying for the website! If you go to the market to buy a magazine you like, you have to pay for it. I subscribe to a magazine called "Consumer Report." If, however, I want to research something on the Internet from the magazine, I cannot do so unless I pay an extra fee for it online. the magazine is static, whereas the UAI website is dynamic and there is not one like it in existence!

Your $20 (or another subscription amount you choose) gives you access to the other 876 sub-forums, as well as those 16,000 prefixes! What a deal! What do you get for $20 these days? Hardly the cost of a hardcover book or a good bottle of wine.

All the best,

Meredith

• Like 2

Hi,

The site is massively layered. When you go to http://www.urantia-uai.org/ you'll find the homepage. If you want to find the social network, click on "Your Urantia Community". Go to "Global Social Network". And you'll see all the forums listed. This architecture facilitates a dynamic network to communicate with other readers, and, equally important, to do in-depth study of the book. You'll find the sign-up button there, as well.

I admit to my excitement and joy in watching this network build and build, as people sign up. Some I know. Others I do not know. It's fun to IM people I know! There is another thingy called "Chatroom" where you can create a group study or any conversation with others. You create the group and make the setting either "public" or "private". It's very cool. Really slick! Hope you enjoy it! I do.

All the best,

Meredith

• Like 1

Hello!

Back to subscriptions. The free zone costs nothing. You can, however, be a paid subscriber - $20 gets you in, or as Carolyn says "less than the cost of a good roast." The subscription money has nothing to do with UAI membership, but has everything to do with paying for the website! If you go to the market to buy a magazine you like, you have to pay for it. I subscribe to a magazine called "Consumer Report." If, however, I want to research something on the Internet from the magazine, I cannot do so unless I pay an extra fee for it online. the magazine is static, whereas the UAI website is dynamic and there is not one like it in existence!

Your $20 (or another subscription amount you choose) gives you access to the other 876 sub-forums, as well as those 16,000 prefixes! What a deal! What do you get for $20 these days? Hardly the cost of a hardcover book or a good bottle of wine.

All the best,

Meredith

Dear Merediht! :)

I'm surprised, because I just realized something.

Maintaining a website (the Forum Hosting) costs $ 20 a year, at least here.

Or is it that I do not quite understand your post?

Much love and thanks!

Alina

• Like 2

Hello Alina!

Much love to you, and thanks for your question.

I don't know what it costs to "maintain" the website. A lot! The lowest paid subscription tier is $20 a year. One can choose a higher tier @ $50/year, $100/year and so on. But $20 gets you in where you have access to areas of discussion that a non-paying subscriber cannot see and read. In the same way the "Wall Street Journal" or the "NY Times" offers a free look at their daily papers where you get highlights for free, they want you to subscribe to the whole enchilada and you have to pay to get it.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Meredith

• Like 1

Hello Alina!

Much love to you, and thanks for your question.

I don't know what it costs to "maintain" the website. A lot! The lowest paid subscription tier is $20 a year. One can choose a higher tier @ $50/year, $100/year and so on. But $20 gets you in where you have access to areas of discussion that a non-paying subscriber cannot see and read. In the same way the "Wall Street Journal" or the "NY Times" offers a free look at their daily papers where you get highlights for free, they want you to subscribe to the whole enchilada and you have to pay to get it.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Meredith

Dear Meredith, sorry but I still do not understand ...

I have a page where everyone can read and write, being registered, of course, and I pay $ 20 for one year.

So what is the goal? being that people who work in maintaining the forum (webmaster, administrators,

moderators) are volunteers?

Adding the chat does not require great expense.

Of course, paying $ 20 is not expensive.Here would also be the cost of four kilos of good steer beef.

But anyway What is the goal?

Another question: payment. is per month, per year, for once?

Thank you again! :)

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I have curiosity to understand some points.

And also serve for those who are wondering what I, but not write for advice :rolleyes:

All the best to you too!

Alina

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed by this pecuniary model. I was only a public member on the new site for 20 minutes when someone contacted me about spending money to upgrade my subscription. It's very, very disheartening. Feels a little bit like a political party, or church, to me . . . but isn't everything about money these days? You just can't escape it. That's why this forum is so lovely. I only wish I was savvy enough to take it over, remove the UAI connection, and keep it pure. Not that I have anything against the UAI, it's a fine organization, but this business with the filthy lucre brings it down a peg in my opinion, for whatever an opinion is worth these days.

Edited by Bonita
  • Like 3

Dear Meredith, sorry but I still do not understand ...

I have a page where everyone can read and write, being registered, of course, and I pay $ 20 for one year.

So what is the goal? being that people who work in maintaining the forum (webmaster, administrators,

moderators) are volunteers?

Adding the chat does not require great expense.

Of course, paying $ 20 is not expensive.Here would also be the cost of four kilos of good steer beef.

But anyway What is the goal?

Another question: payment. is per month, per year, for once?

Thank you again! :)

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I have curiosity to understand some points.

And also serve for those who are wondering what I, but not write for advice :rolleyes:

All the best to you too!

Alina

Agree Bonita, for that reason and others is that I want to know more.

Greetings,

Alina

• Like 2

Dear Bonita and Alina,

You are very wise to question where you will put your personal information and for what is the cost; $ or time. :ph34r:

The "new" world internet is a double-edged sword. With a click you can bring evil into your home without even knowing how it is done. That is a serious concern and one we all must question before we "leap." For me it is a matter of choice to not enter a site if I do not know the reason for a site to exist or who is behind the curtain. (much like the wizard of OZ)? Some have blogs (many words with nothing to say of value) Many blogs have web sites. (who cares?) Not me!

Because I limit my internet time I am very selective. This forum does work well. It is a given. We have experienced this truth.

The "new" is not yet experienced? Will it be true? We do not know. Many have hopes, but hopes are not reality.

I know that the one sure way to read TUB is to have the actual written word in a hardcopy of TUB and to it read from beginning to end over and over and over... Staying with the continuity of your reading is important and the skipping back and forth will never (IMO) be the better way. There is too much that will be lost in the shuffle of the skip. Why do that?

My joining the new forum will be a slow ride on a slow horse. I will only go to read where I know the personality who has started the thread: Where these personalities once were met here, were once validated here, and are now posting there.?

I love Meredith as a sister. She is a gem. Meredith has never given me, in the last seven years, reason to doubt her spirituality. :wub:

Our world of the internet and smart phones IS pulling all away from the spiritual life to the material life. Young people often do not know the difference between the two, because the family unit has been deliberately fractured. As well, the taking of Jesus of Nazareth out of the major universities and public schools in USA has been a slow but a sure deconstruction of faith in God the Father. The FUN has become the evil love for the material, rather than for good.(IMO) Are we being lured by Caligastia? or is this the work (new forum) of good men and women?

Here it is safe, because of the unknown we can not be certain.

A great deal of individual prayer and communion with our Father may give the answers as to whether a change is best for you as an individual. We are all different. Where our personal information is public, we take a risk. When the individual becomes less important than the group or "the means justifies the end." we may be headed over the cliff?(IMO)

"Change" and "Forward" are the terms used by all the evil in recent history. Where are we going?

Perhaps, others can answer these questions for me, but in the end, I must answer for myself with the knowledge for certain that it is the Will of my Father to do so? After all, the last piece of the pie of evil, is to destroy Our Father in Paradise. (truth)

With much love, :wub:

Faith sister Carolyn

• Like 1

I agree that the forum works well, but it doesn't work quite as well with Safari, just in case anyone is interested in knowing that factoid. I can access features with Google Chrome that do not show up at all on Safari. I don't think that's the forum's fault; it's Safari's fault, but Safari is what I have on all my Apple devices.

And I don't think my devices are pulling me away from the spiritual life at all. They are a social connection and we all know that the most important thing we can do here is socialize the personality. We must learn to relate, in depth, with more and more persons as we discover new ways to express friendliness and graciousness.

I'm convinced that internet chats are just as important as face-to-face chats. There were those in the last century who thought the telephone was totally inadequate too, and that changed. So, what I'm trying to say is that the forums are important and having to pay a small amount to enjoy them is not unreasonable . . . but it does change the character of the beast, and does take time to adjust to. And it is annoying as hell . . . first DOB and now credit card numbers . . . . but you can't fake the credit card number like you can a birthday . . . sigh.

• Like 1

Hi Bonita, Alina, Carolyn, all,

Thanks for your comments and questions. Money is such a bugaboo.

The website is a highly sophisticated and professionally constructed site. The cost of having it created is high (I don't know how much) and it is professionally administered. Some people volunteer to do many tasks related to the website and UAI, and the administrative costs of UAI are paid for through donations to UAI. The webmaster for the website is paid a fee. Such an awesome website is not free. How can anyone not expect to pay yearly dues, or call it a yearly fee, for the purpose of helping to defray the cost of operating this fabulous website? Is is outrageous to me that some people think everything related to the UB should be free! It takes money to do these things! I see the goal to be to sustain the website. Money keeps the service wheels of UAI turning and UAI is a volunteer organization.

The "General Urantia Dialogue Zone" is free to anyone. You choose what you want. If you like what you see and want more, you pay to get it. If you want a Starbucks, you have to pay for it! If you want an extra shot, you pay for it. We live in a material world.

The subscription fee is yearly. The subscription page will take you to where you choose your amount, if you choose to pay. And by following the prompts, you'll go to PayPal and sign into your previous account if you have one, or if you don't, you will create one that goes to whichever email address you have that you want to use for PayPal. Easy to do. No harder than buying a book on Amazon or shopping on the Internet.

Hope this helps. :)

I'm learning how to use this website just like all of you are. It's a ton of fun!

Cheers,

Meredith

• Like 2

Hi Meredith,

I'd like to be sure that the bulk of the money doesn't go toward UAI and all of their other projects. Maybe right now it does take all of the $20 per person to run the forum for a year. As of now I only see 60 members, in which case it probably does. That being said, when the number of members reach 10,000 will it take the entire $200,000 to run it for a year? I doubt it, so by then the price should go down, right? But it won't. It will probably go up like everything else. Do you see the conundrum here? Where will all that extra money go? One can only surmise it will go to the UAI coffers for the organization to use on other ventures. But if you're not a member, maybe you don't want your money to go to some of the UAI projects. It's kinda like mandatory union dues when you have absolutely no control over how the money is spent. It bugs me.

In all honesty, I don't think the free portion of the forum should be there at all. Omit the free part because it makes everyone on it feel like mooching cousins from the other side of the track. I would say, just ask people right up front to become UAI members for twenty bucks, or whatever you want to charge, and membership includes access to the forum. That would be more honest and up front from the gitgo. Right now it has the appearance of being a sophisticated bait-and-switch, but I get my nose out of joint very easily about these kinds of things, I admit. I'm probably the only one who cares this much about something that others don't see as an issue at all. I realize that. I'm odd. Sorry.

• Like 2

Hi Meredith,

I'd like to be sure that the bulk of the money doesn't go toward UAI and all of their other projects. Maybe right now it does take all of the $20 per person to run the forum for a year. As of now I only see 60 members, in which case it probably does. That being said, when the number of members reach 10,000 will it take the entire $200,000 to run it for a year? I doubt it, so by then the price should go down, right? But it won't. It will probably go up like everything else. Do you see the conundrum here? Where will all that extra money go? One can only surmise it will go to the UAI coffers for the organization to use on other ventures. But if you're not a member, maybe you don't want your money to go to some of the UAI projects. It's kinda like mandatory union dues when you have absolutely no control over how the money is spent. It bugs me.

In all honesty, I don't think the free portion of the forum should be there at all. Omit the free part because it makes everyone on it feel like mooching cousins from the other side of the track. I would say, just ask people right up front to become UAI members for twenty bucks, or whatever you want to charge, and membership includes access to the forum. That would be more honest and up front from the gitgo. Right now it has the appearance of being a sophisticated bait-and-switch, but I get my nose out of joint very easily about these kinds of things, I admit. I'm probably the only one who cares this much about something that others don't see as an issue at all. I realize that. I'm odd. Sorry.

Thanks for your honesty, and forth rightness. Don't feel like a moocher. But if you like and use something, you naturally want to help. That said, you've contributed hundreds of hours here on this Forum for the enlightenment of all. It's priceless, and that's plenty, no money needed or requested. And it will be the same over there, contribute what you have, that's great, and beautiful service.

Just talked with our web-person. Meredith encapsulated it nicely. Adding, perhaps reiterating, this: The free zone is free, and it has many of the same subforums as this one. But you still have to register, just like here. The only difference is that the public will no longer be able to read what's posted, only those who are registered. And keep in mind this is all experimental. If you've ever worked on a gigantic project, you well know how everyone will not be pleased at first. So, I'm encouraging patience, tolerance and an exodus! Good to see the names, Bradly, Absonite and Carolyn already over there.

• Like 3

I'd like to be sure that the bulk of the money doesn't go toward UAI and all of their other projects.

Hi Bonita,

I'd like to be sure the money I pay in taxes to my government goes to things of which I approve too! Fortunately, the website and UAI are not the government. :rolleyes: And no one is required to be a part of UAI.

I like what Rick said,

Don't feel like a moocher. But if you like and use something, you naturally want to help.

But I have a different opinion. I'm glad you feel like a moocher. In the Urantia community there are thousands of moochers. These are people who have no prick of conscience regarding the financial needs of the organizations that make things like the new website and this Invisionzone Forum possible. Invisionzone is not free. But I think these people take the UB for granted. I think the mind set is - someone else can pay for it. There is a sense of entitlement, once people get into the UB. They think everything should be free.

But if you like and use something, as Rick says, you naturally want to help.

Even in the golden ages to come, in the ages of light and life (P. 624), the financing of material affairs continue to function, and in the following narrative we read how they do it on a world in the first stage of light 'n life. They call it the tithing technique and it's figured in percentages.

Human government in the conduct of material affairs continues to function throughout this age of relative progress and perfection. The public activities of a world in the first stage of light and life which I recently visited were financed by the tithing technique. Every adult worker--and all able-bodied citizens worked at something--paid ten per cent of his income or increase to the public treasury, and it was disbursed as follows:

1. Three per cent was expended in the promotion of truth--science, education, and philosophy.

2. Three per cent was devoted to beauty--play, social leisure, and art.

3. Three per cent was dedicated to goodness--social service, altruism, and religion.

4. One per cent was assigned to the insurance reserves against the risk of incapacity for labor resultant from accident, disease, old age, or unpreventable disasters.
P.625 - §1

The percentages mentioned above add up to 10%! Back to the future. Do you think the 10% tithing practice was a revelation back in the days of Abraham? Back in the days of Melchizedek? Who know?

All the best,

Meredith

• Like 1

I'm glad you feel like a moocher.

I'm real sorry you wrote that Meredith. It took my breath away.

But if you like and use something, as Rick says, you naturally want to help.

Yes, and people help in many different ways, as Rick also said.

I'm sorry you can't see my point. I'm not asking you to agree with it, I'm only asking you to try to understand a different perspective. And yes I pay taxes, but I also vote and write letters to my political leaders. Is there a general vote on how UAI money is spent or are decisions made by the board? I'll bet it's the board, since I've been on some, I know that's how it generally works unless specified otherwise in the bylaws.

Listen, I think you all are doing a splendid job. Don't misunderstand my concerns to mean that I reject everything. I'm merely pointing out a weakness . . . as I see it.

All the best

• Like 3

Rick,

Why isn't the public part visible to the public? How are people going to know if they want to join or not? Don't you read threads on forums before making a decision to join? It sounds too exclusive, like a private club. I'm really positive that the revelation is not meant to be an exclusive club of people with secret postings. There's something fundamentally wrong about that. And I think that's another reason not to bother with the free section at all. If it's free, it should be really free and totally visible to the public. I'm getting more and more convinced that there's something wrong with this model, from a cosmic perspective, that is. I'm probably the only one though, so take it all with a grain of salt. None of you asked me for my opinion, so I am going to shut up about it now.

• Like 4

Rick,

Why isn't the public part visible to the public? How are people going to know if they want to join or not? Don't you read threads on forums before making a decision to join? It sounds too exclusive, like a private club. I'm really positive that the revelation is not meant to be an exclusive club of people with secret postings. There's something fundamentally wrong about that. And I think that's another reason not to bother with the free section at all. If it's free, it should be really free and totally visible to the public. I'm getting more and more convinced that there's something wrong with this model, from a cosmic perspective, that is. I'm probably the only one though, so take it all with a grain of salt. None of you asked me for my opinion, so I am going to shut up about it now.

Bonita, theres alot we dont agree on. We but-heads in the beginning. But ive been reading along, and must say i agree with you on this 100%. I may or may not participate in the new UAI forum (cant figure it out). I like this one better. I may focus more time in trying to grow my Urantia forum when this one shuts down.

Any and all (especially if you dont want to move to the new forum for whatever reasoning) are more than welcome to join mine. Even if you only post once in a blue spending more time in the new UAI forum, i would like to see you all over there. I dont want to lose touch with any of you.

http://christianurantians.boards.net/index.cgi

• Like 1

Thanks Rev.

I think you're on to something . . . a ministry. Now there's a notion, huh?

• Like 1

Thanks Rev.

I think you're on to something . . . a ministry. Now there's a notion, huh?

Anytime.

Well Truth needs to get out. And I feel ive been "called" to the occasion. I could always use a helping hand....

Anyway, as said above youre all welcome to join my forum. If you prefer email contact (and/ or phone?) ill pm anyone interested my info. Either way, please keep in touch. All of you.

Dear Bonita, Meredith, and Rick,

When I read the latest posts I think back to my teaching days when each day I felt I had to get out the invisible pom poms and cheer all day trying to get students to want to learn be successful. I would cheer one way and then another, but in the end there is a truth to learning: Mortals choose to "learn." Kids go as far as using learning as a whip to punish all the adults who they feel have wronged them. Adults behave in a similar way but have built up their own ideas of learning.

I'm not saying any of you are not willing to learn. Of course you are here to learn by asking questions as Jesus of Nazareth taught. I am saying "follow your heart and if it does not feel like the will of the Father perhaps you have a different road to take.

Caution: There has always been several sites that are Urantia like forums. Most of them collect negative readers, give the podium to wrong ideas, and some even are anti-TUB. There were back in 2007 a few who broke away from the UAI site to build a new one. I went to check it out; what a mess. My tool for searching for the best of anything is to go to the source (in this case the Urantia Foundation.) It was my understanding that the Urantia Foundation backed the UAI Forum (there was only one: this one) now a new one is opening backed by UAI and soon this one will close.

Forming your own Urantia Forum is your business but without the backing of the Urantia Foundation and the UAI perhaps there is a danger of straying away from the original intent.

I agree with all of you: Bonita, Alina, Meredith, and Rick each in different ways. You have taught me well. There were Apostles that each of you are like. Each of you are standouts and each are very valuable in the work of building the kingdom of heaven.

Soldier On,

Always the LOVE, :wub:

Carolyn

• Like 2

Rick,

So noted, Bonita, Red. The public zone isn't secret, anyone can view it who registers, in that way it is like a club I reckon. Ubron's been that way for years and persisted. It's member supported too.

The UAI Communications Committee has been working for years in concert with a host of volunteers and contractors to bring this to fruition, and this is the model that was selected, at least for now it's what we're starting with. But everyone working on the project knows adjustments will be made depending on circumstances, need and ability.

I would sorely hate to see either or any of you depart, but then you never know what would result, like Red's Righteous Place, or Bonita's UB Boutique :)

• Like 1