Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Howard509

Is the Urantia Book holy?

"Many of you have this day come to the parting of the ways; you have come to a beginning of the making of the inevitable choice between the will of the Father and the self-chosen ways of darkness. And as you now choose, so shall you eventually be. You must either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else will the tree become corrupt and its fruit corrupt. I declare that in my Father's eternal kingdom the tree is known by its fruits. But some of you who are as vipers, how can you, having already chosen evil, bring forth good fruits? After all, out of the abundance of the evil in your hearts your mouths speak." (1714) (153-5)

It is a choice to abide with the Father.

• Like 2

Just because people deny God doesn't mean that God is not in them or that there is less of him in them. God gives the same amount of himself to everyone, a fragment. You can't put an amount on that. I don't think you can measure the amount of God anyone has as though God were a quantity. Isn't he a quality within the soul? I do think that there is such a thing as quantity when it comes to measuring the growth of the soul, however. And TUB tells us that we can measure that by our love for others and our trustworthiness.

156:5.17 The measure of the spiritual capacity of the evolving soul is your faith in truth and your love for man, but the measure of your human strength of character is your ability to resist the holding of grudges and your capacity to withstand brooding in the face of deep sorrow. Defeat is the true mirror in which you may honestly view your real self.

28:6.13 Trust is the crucial test of will creatures. Trustworthiness is the true measure of self-mastery, character.

If you want to talk about amounts, then less selfish qualities and more godlike qualities of one's character, perhaps? But I don't think you can say that one person has more God in him/her than another. It's more like one person may manifest more godlikeness than another, but that's about it. Either you have a fragment of God in you or you don't. One fragment is not bigger or smaller, more or less than the next, or at least we haven't been told that. One fragment may have more experience than another though, but I don't think that's a measure of holiness either. Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I am a word junkie, unfortunately.

• Like 2

(1767.5) 159:4.3 These writings are the work of men, some of them holy men, others not so holy."(Jesus) Deity is characterized by the quality of unity--actual or potential--on all supermaterial levels of reality; and this unifying quality is best comprehended by creatures as divinity.(p.2) In any universe contest between actual levels of reality, the personality of the higher level will ultimately triumph over the personality of the lower level. This inevitable outcome of universe controversy is inherent in the fact that divinity of quality equals the degree of reality or actuality of any will creature.(P.37-3)

The foregoing are qualitative measurments available by secoraphic reflectivity (not on this planet till the rebellion is over). There is one quantitative measurement I found:P.140 - §1 "As the mind of any personality in the universe becomes more spiritual--Godlike--it becomes less responsive to material gravity. Reality, measured by physical-gravity response, is the antithesis of reality as determined by quality of spirit content. Physical-gravity action is a quantitative determiner of nonspirit energy; spiritual-gravity action is the qualitative measure of the living energy of divinity." (140 top)

Bonita, we can not make these judgments but they can be made. Some persons have more light. They have the same endowment but they have "focused their inner eye" on the Father and evolved further and faster. How could a Mighty Messenger tell us about the "race for perfection" if there was not differential attainment on the path to Paradise.

Yes God does not play favorites. Our God is just and merciful.

The "Fragments of God" are identical in potential. We are variable in our response to divine guidance.

Love You,

Bill

• Like 3

I agree Bill, that there are those who manifest more obvious fruit than others and I definitely agree about the spirit gravity circuit when it comes to the spiritualized mind. My only point was in the literal interpretation of your statement: I would say that the more God you have in you the Holier you are...

It's just my pain-in-the-a__ way of making the point that we all have the same amount of God in us. Some have discovered, recognized, interpreted and chosen God to a greater extent than others, which is what I think you meant. And the other point I wanted to make is that because we all have the same amount of God in us, whether we realize that fact or not, makes us all holy in God's eyes and potentially holy in human eyes. If we learn to see others like God the Father does, then we will be able to see holiness in even the most unholy of men/women because we will learn how to tell the difference between a person and his/her behavior.

Anyway, I think this quote sorta says the same thing about the amount of God you have been able to manifest in your life:

P.1726 - §2 "Let me emphatically state this eternal truth: If you, by truth co-ordination, learn to exemplify in your lives this beautiful wholeness of righteousness, your fellow men will then seek after you that they may gain what you have so acquired. The measure wherewith truth seekers are drawn to you represents the measure of your truth endowment, your righteousness. The extent to which you have to go with your message to the people is, in a way, the measure of your failure to live the whole or righteous life, the truth-co-ordinated life ."

Love you too.

• Like 1

Guest EEB aka AASB-AWSW

Is the Urantia Book Holy?

Is the Book the wHole truth and nothing but the truth?

No, by its own admission, the authors, have stated that it is abridged. Therefore, anything that is not the whole word of God can not be the absolute word of God.

If a Book is Holy than a Book is equal to God?

Can a Book be equal to the word or for that matter the thought of God?

The fragment of God, our Father, has been noted as being distributed equally in the UB but it has also been noted that with this fragment we as individuals can become more like God but also have been warned what becoming perfect like God can do to actions which God reserves for Himself. Knowing who God is in His perfection, should make the bestowed more weary of achieving His perfection. In other words, can you really handle His truth and be restrained by His (this) perfection?

If you have been given an equal fragment of God, what have you done with that fragment? If you have filled your cup to its capacity to know the truth, have you become wHoly filed with God, or only filled to your capacity to being perfected?

If you take that fragment and allow it to grow in your heart so that the Father fuses with you, then at that time, you will be wHoly with the Father, and He will act through you not for you. If Jesus received the same fragment as did you, than compare what He did with it verses what you have done with the same.

Edited by EEB aka AASB-AWSW