Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
-Scott-

subnormal/animal

I wanted to start a thread about all the quotes in the book that refer to a group of humans that are functioning below "normal" levels. I am curious as to what the authors opinion of "subnormal" is and just who fits into that. What is interesting is that these people do not appear to be using their personality very much. We all know that personality is what gives us will power, and it appears someone on this level does not "excersize normal will power". This was the group of people I was trying to talk about in the other thread.

Quote:

(1241.5) 113:1.3 1. The subnormal minded — those who do not exercise normal will power; those who do not make average decisions. This class embraces those who cannot comprehend God; they lack capacity for the intelligent worship of Deity. The subnormal beings of Urantia have a corps of seraphim, one company, with one battalion of cherubim, assigned to minister to them and to witness that justice and mercy are extended to them in the life struggles of the sphere.

Quote:

1468.3) 133:0.3 One day while resting at lunch, about halfway to Tarentum, Ganid asked Jesus a direct question as to what he thought of India’s caste system. Said Jesus: “Though human beings differ in many ways, the one from another, before God and in the spiritual world all mortals stand on an equal footing. There are only two groups of mortals in the eyes of God: those who desire to do his will and those who do not. As the universe looks upon an inhabited world, it likewise discerns two great classes: those who know God and those who do not. Those who cannot know God are reckoned among the animals of any given realm. Mankind can appropriately be divided into many classes in accordance with differing qualifications, as they may be viewed physically, mentally, socially, vocationally, or morally, but as these different classes of mortals appear before the judgment bar of God, they stand on an equal footing; God is truly no respecter of persons. Although you cannot escape the recognition of differential human abilities and endowments in matters intellectual, social, and moral, you should make no such distinctions in the spiritual brotherhood of men when assembled for worship in the presence of God.”

Quote:

(193.4) 16:7.5 When man fails to discriminate the ends of his mortal striving, he finds himself functioning on the animal level of existence. He has failed to avail himself of the superior advantages of that material acumen, moral discrimination, and spiritual insight which are an integral part of his cosmic-mind endowment as a personal being.

In this quote it almost looks like a shade of humor when they say "so-called normal beings". I get the sense that our definition of normal and theirs is not at all the same. Here is a couple quotes about normal minded humans.

42.1) 113:1.6 In the ministry to so-called normal beings, seraphic assignments are made in accordance with the human attainment of the circles of intellectuality and spirituality. You start out in your mind of mortal investment in the seventh circle and journey inward in the task of self-understanding, self-conquest, and self-mastery; and circle by circle you advance until (if natural death does not terminate your career and transfer your struggles to the mansion worlds) you reach the first or inner circle of relative contact and communion with the indwelling Adjuster.

1241.6) 113:1.4 2. The average, normal type of human mind. From the standpoint of seraphic ministry, most men and women are grouped in seven classes in accordance with their status in making the circles of human progress and spiritual development.

Edited by boomshuka aka Warren Scott

Is that describing autism? Also subnormal is a psychological term. I know Dr. Sadler did not write TUB but he was a psychologist. So perhaps the Celestials used some of the language familiar to Sadler. Anywho, here is the definition:

subnormal[sʌbˈnɔːməl]

adj

less than the normal

(Psychology) having a
low intelligence, esp having an
IQ of less than 70
Edited by brooklyn_born

Here is the description of a normal mind. I think many readers just assume that the authors are talking about people with mental handicapps when they talk about subhumans. I don't believe that this is the case though I think that they probably fit into that category.

1241.6) 113:1.4 2. The average, normal type of human mind. From the standpoint of seraphic ministry, most men and women are grouped in seven classes in accordance with their status in making the circles of human progress and spiritual development.

IMO it would appear that anyone who is progressing in the seven circles is a normal human being. IMO this means that all children who make a morale choice at age 6 are all normal humans. Etleast on our planet at this time.

42.1) 113:1.6 In the ministry to so-called normal beings, seraphic assignments are made in accordance with the human attainment of the circles of intellectuality and spirituality. You start out in your mind of mortal investment in the seventh circle and journey inward in the task of self-understanding, self-conquest, and self-mastery; and circle by circle you advance until (if natural death does not terminate your career and transfer your struggles to the mansion worlds) you reach the first or inner circle of relative contact and communion with the indwelling Adjuster.

I took these quotes from the OPAD study. I think they relate to this topic, and this mystery of just what is normal.

1. Intellectual capacity. Is the mind normal? What is the intellectual potential, the intelligence capacity? Can the individual develop into a bona fide will creature? Will wisdom have an opportunity to function?

P.1187 - §1 The Adjusters cannot invade the mortal mind until it has been duly prepared by the indwelling ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits and encircuited in the Holy Spirit. And it requires the co-ordinate function of all seven adjutants to thus qualify the human mind for the reception of an Adjuster. Creature mind must exhibit the worship outreach and indicate wisdom function by exhibiting the ability to choose between the emerging values of good and evil--moral choice.

It would appear anyone on the 7th circle level is a normal human being and all children innitially are at this level on our world. IMO it would appear that it is possible to go back from the 7th circler to just being considered an "animal of the realm".

1210.8) 110:6.13 The seventh circle. This level is entered when human beings develop the powers of personal choice, individual decision, moral responsibility, and the capacity for the attainment of spiritual individuality. This signifies the united function of the seven adjutant mind-spirits under the direction of the spirit of wisdom, the encircuitment of the mortal creature in the influence of the Holy Spirit, and, on Urantia, the first functioning of the Spirit of Truth, together with the reception of a Thought Adjuster in the mortal mind. Entrance upon the seventh circle constitutes a mortal creature a truly potential citizen of the local universe.

I think the question is just how can a normal human being become subnormal? I imagine it has something to do with "it is sad to record few mortals fail to cultivate". And few mortals fail to live and love as Jesus taught.

• Like 1

Boom, how would you reconcile the following with what you are claiming:

52:5.6 ... The Universe Mother Spirit also participates in this bestowal of the Spirit of Truth, and concomitant therewith there issues the bestowal edict of the Thought Adjusters. Thereafter all normal-minded will creatures of that world will receive Adjusters as soon as they attain the age of moral responsibility, of spiritual choice.

According to TUB the mind is prepared for TA indwelling when it approaches 6 yrs. Incidentally there is a thread on first awareness of TA indwelling, an interesting read, I might add. In any event, is the age of indwelling standard throughout all generations or can it vary depending on certain factors? IMO I think you are on to something. Unfortunately I don't possess enough study to go in depth with you. I am still dealing with the basics :blink: Hopefully others can chime in and brainstorm with you.

BB

I think the question is just how can a normal human being become subnormal? I imagine it has something to do with "it is sad to record few mortals fail to cultivate". And few mortals fail to live and love as Jesus taught.

You know, I had asked this in a previous thread. I wondered if it was possible to lose footing after anchoring one's mind to one of the psychic circles. You are saying it is possible to backslide to the pre-psychic circle mind state if you do not cultivate these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking. Correct?

Now you got me looking up all references on subnormal. From the perspective of the universe, I just might appear subnormal! Holy Smokes! :wacko:

Edited by brooklyn_born

I think the point I was trying to make is that many of us choose to be subnormal because we are afraid to live as jesus instructed. But I am not the authority on this topic. I am just trying to understand it all.

I think the point I was trying to make is that many us choose to be subnormal because we are afraid to live as jesus instructed. But = am not the authority on this topic. I am just trying to understand it all.

I see what you are saying. The Bible calls it "backsliding." It is possible to relapse to former ways. The Bible also tells us to make our calling sure. Nothing is guaranteed in mortality. Just because one brakes into a circle of psychic awareness doesn't mean one can't fall from it, I'd think. Then again, losing one's hold on the psychic circles is part of the learning process. It goes back to the glass empty, full perspective. I think you should explore this still. It is an interesting topic.

Edited by brooklyn_born