Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
-Scott-

fundamental patterns of reality

Chris Halvorson has on his website perfectinghorizons.org a writing about the "fundamental pattern of reality" anyway I was curious about what other peoples reaction to this paper would be. To me it seems like a excellent summary of transactions in the u.b.

Anywho here is the paper from his website, I hope he does not mind its redistribution on here, I am sure he won't.

"The easiest way to discover the fundamental patterns of reality is to deduce them from the first principles.

In the conceptual beginning, there was the I AM. The I AM was the totality of reality-infinite, homogeneous, isotropic- one and all. So, if the I AM was such a perfect expression of infinity, why is there anything else? The answer is clear from the last three words in the previous statement. The I AM was not a complete expression of all potential. It was lacking one thing, true relationship. There was no "other"; it expressed only self-relationship, only the harmony of singularity.

Thus, reality as we know it exists for one purpose, to actualize true relationship; and that reality begins with unity and will end with the perfect harmony, the reunification, of an infinite set of absolutely distinct parts. The unity is conserved, but it is transformed from absolute simplicity to absolute complexity.

In the first event subsequent to the I AM, the will embodied in the whole separated itself from the non will. The will is that which acts; the non will is that which reacts. The individuated expression of will is personality, the harmonizing influence on the components of reality. The individuated will of the I AM is the First source and Center of all things.

The first action of this infinite will was to infinitely separate the non will into two infinite halves, the Qualified (or Deity) Absolute and the Unqualified Absolute, thus establishing the primal relationship. The Deity Absolute is the reservoir of the potential for substance that is self-animating, spirit substance. The Unqualified Absolute is the reservoir of the potential for substance that is not self-animating, material substance. Reality is the simultaneous actualization of these two parallel potentials. The parallelism pattern that is founded in the Qualified and Unqualified Absolutes is expressed as pairs of spirit personalities and material powers, for example, the Eternal Son and the Isle of Paradise. It is also expressed as pairs of creator and controller personalities, for example, the Seven Master Spirits and the Seven Supreme Power Directors. This fundamental parallelism is separate from the twofold actualization of potential as existential and experiential, perfect and perfected, creator and creature, Master Son and Finaliter.

The bifurcation of the I AM introduced an infinite measure of separation into reality. Since unity must be conserved, an equally infinite reciprocal succession of events also came into existence. The Universal Absolute is the reservoir of the potential for this resolution of disunity tension that was established by the bifurcation. The resolution takes literal form in mind, which bridges the gap between spirit and matter. The separation and succession form a reciprocal succession of events also came into existence. The Universal Absolute is the reservoir of the potential for this resolution of the disunity tension that was established by the bifurcation. The resolution takes literal form in mind, which bridges the gap between spirit and matter. The separation and succession form a reciprocal pair that constitutes the fundamental duality pattern of the evolutionary level of reality, the local universe level. This duality is expressed as space and time, Creative Mother Spirits and the Creator Sons, female and male, place and direction.

The fundamental parallelism combined with the literalness of the relationship between the two components points to the first consequence of true relationship, a basic triune patter. the relationship between the First Source and Center (which acts) and the Deity Absolute (which reacts) is the Eternal Son (which results), the one absolute, pure spirit individuated personality, the Second Source and Center. The relationship between the First Source and Center and the Unqualified Absolute is the Isle of Paradise, the one absolute material actuality. The personal relationship between the Universal Father and the Isle of Paradise is the Infinite Spirit, the controller aspect of the Third Source and Center, the Mind Bestower.

Unity of nature is re-established on the absolute level with the existence of the Third Source and Center, and unity of purpose has its focus. The absolute mind of the Infinite Spirit is the literal expression of the relationship between the absolute spirit of the eternal Son and the absolute matter of the Isle of Paradise. At the superuniverse level, the coordination between the spiritual circuits of the Seven master Spirits and the physical activities of the Seven Supreme Power Directors is the cosmic mind.

The triune pattern is manifold, from the infinity of the Paradise Trinity to the universality of matter, mind, and spirit. Matter, mind and spirit encompass the unity of substance, and they stand in sequence in the upward ascent to the God. They find expression in countless ways, perhaps none more significant to the development of mortals than the three fundamental intuitions of cosmic mind- causation, duty, and worship (see paper 16, section 6). These three insights together constitute the reality response of an individual, and they must be developed in order. No person can acquire spirit values or truly know God without first knowing cause and effect and then right and wrong. All of reality is first grounded in logic, then equilibrated with reason, and finally culminated by divinity."

Edited by boomshuka

Haha yes I agree rick. For some though panthiestic ideas about reality can be hard shake. Even for some u.b readers.

Yeah, it's so true, Boom. Being an amateur philosopher when the UB showed up, I had to let go of determinism--no free will.

I was curious about what other peoples reaction to this paper would be. To me it seems like a excellent summary of transactions in the u.b.

Agreed. And thanks for bringing Chris' work to our attention. One thing, someone's copy and paste has introduced a few duplications and errors. I don't this these were in Dr Halvorson's original... ?

Nigel

Agreed. And thanks for bringing Chris' work to our attention. One thing, someone's copy and paste has introduced a few duplications and errors. I don't this these were in Dr Halvorson's original... ?

Nigel

For some reason my computer would not let me copy and past his material so I had to type it out :wacko: there is bound to be a few mistakes...

• Like 1

My problem with pantheistic philosophy is: if there is nothing but Deity, then how does anything else ever happen (never mind exist) at all?

The basic dichotomy of (Deity/non-Deity) has to exist for the word Deity to be comprehensible to me, and that right there goes against the pantheistic approach which (if I am not misrepresenting that perspective here) is: all is Deity and Deity is all.

So a primordial two-ness has to exist, with the relation expanding the situation to a minimum of three factors (considering the coordinating and correlating relationship of Deity/non-Deity as the third factor) which exemplifies interactive unity (oneness).

But what then about The I AM?

How is The I AM not a pantheistic concept?

I answer those questions by considering The I AM as what I see when I "zoom out" to maximum vantage and consider the totality of infinite reality from such an immense conceptual distance that distinctions are not immediately discernable. Kind of like how we can zoom out and see the entirety of Urantia without discerning rocks plants, bugs, people, buildings, etc... We can pull back to the viewpoint of the moon and say, there! Look! singular Urantia! But that doesn't mean for one moment that distinctions on Urantia don't exist. And just as it would be foolish to jump to the conclusion that Urantia is everything and each distinct thing on Urantia is the totality of Urantia - it also seems to me seriously to miss the mark pantheistically to proclaim that The I Am is everything and each thing is the totality of The I AM.

Just as the moment we zoom in to examine Urantia we discern more detail, the moment we zoom in to examine The I AM, we discern differentiations like the Qualified and Unqualified Absolutes. Upon noticing the relation of those primordial Absolutes, we discern the Universal Absolute. And as we zoom in even more on the Qualified Absolute, we notice Deity at work there as triune, then as sevenfold, and the Qualified Absolute becomes more accurately referenced as the Deity Absolute. And so on it goes...

The absolute mind of the Infinite Spirit is the literal expression of the relationship between the absolute spirit of the eternal Son and the absolute matter of the Isle of Paradise.

That part of what Mr. Halvorson wrote does not seem accurate with what the UB teaches, to me. Unless I am mistaken, the Third Source results from the relationship of the First and Second Source - not from the relationship of the Second Source and Paradise.

Edited by Absonite
  • Like 2

The absolute mind of the Infinite Spirit is the literal expression of the relationship between the absolute spirit of the eternal Son and the absolute matter of the Isle of Paradise.

That part of what Mr. Halvorson wrote does not seem accurate with what the UB teaches, to me. Unless I am mistaken, the Third Source results from the relationship of the First and Second Source - not from the relationship of the Second Source and Paradise.

Chris is aware of that relationship Absonite he is saying that the Infinite Spirits mind expresses a relationship between the Second Source and Paradise. Not that he resulted from this relationship. He is attempting to explain relationships between these beings. He is showing how a fundamental parrellelism in relationship between Deity Beings or Deity Beings and Paradise produces a basic triune pattern. this initial sentence sort of highlights what his intention is regarding that sentence.

"The fundamental parallelism combined with the literalness of the relationship between the two components points to the first consequence of true relationship, a basic triune pattern."

If you want to ask him yourself about this we have a study group every tuesday night online (symmetryofsoul.org) on (blogtalkradio.com)

I like what you are saying about the I AM though. In another forum I am having trouble in a conversation with another reader who regards all things as just projections of the I AM. At first glance it may seem that the I AM is a panthiestic concept, but the further we read the u.b we discover that this is not true. If we think in a linear fashion though I can see how someone would think this.

Also I should add that I do have permission from him to use his written works from that site on this forum :).

Edited by Warren Scott
  • Like 1

One other great attempt to understand the subject if you have not read it already is Saddler Jr's Study of the Master Universe.

• Like 2

How exactly does the Infinite Spirit express a relationship between the Eternal Son and Paradise?

Found these Absonite,

P.1271 - 1 2.
The personality revelations of the Second Source and Center
. The mind presences of the Conjoint Actor unify the spirit of divinity with the pattern of energy. The bestowal incarnations of the Eternal Son and his Paradise Sons unify, actually fuse, the divine nature of a Creator with the evolving nature of a creature. The Supreme is both creature and creator; the possibility of his being such is revealed in the bestowal actions of the Eternal Son and his co-ordinate and subordinate Sons. The bestowal orders of sonship, the Michaels and the Avonals, actually augment their divine natures with bona fide creature natures which have become theirs by the living of the actual creature life on the evolutionary worlds. When divinity becomes like humanity, inherent in this relationship is the possibility that humanity can become divine.

P.1303 - 8 We understand something of how the mechanism of Paradise is correlated with the personality of the Eternal Son; this is the function of the Conjoint Actor. And we have theories regarding the operations of the Universal Absolute with respect to the theoretical mechanisms of the Unqualified and the potential person of the Deity Absolute. But in the evolving Deities of Supreme and Ultimate we observe that certain impersonal phases are being actually united with their volitional counterparts, and thus there is evolving a new relationship between pattern and person.

Good detective work Rick. These quotes definetely seems to relate to what Chris is saying.

P.1303 - 8 We understand something of how the mechanism of Paradise is correlated with the personality of the Eternal Son; this is the function of the Conjoint Actor.

"But in the evolving Deities of Supreme and Ultimate we observe that certain impersonal phases are being actually united with their volitional counterparts, and thus there is evolving a new relationship between pattern and person."

Edited by Warren Scott

Thank you, gentlemen - that was clarifying!

More so: there is a cosmological beauty here in a symmetrical parallel that becomes clear to me as I think about the situational levels:

1. Qualified, Unqualified, and Universal

2. Second Source (Personality), Paradise (Pattern), and Third Source (Mind)

3. Absolute, Supreme, and Ultimate

Although different in kind, the Universal, Mind, and Ultimate all seem to perform similar coordinating functions for their respective others.

I also see how such continues iterating down on the Superuniverse levels, then again in attenuated version within an individual: where personality and body are coordinated via mind.

Edited by Absonite
  • Like 3

I also see how such continues iterating down on the Superuniverse levels, then again in attenuated version within an individual: where personality and body are coordinated via mind.

Actually it's where body and mind are coordinated by personality. The personality is the coordinator and unifier. And there is no attenuation when it comes to personality.

0:5.11 Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality.

• Like 3

Coordinating. Correlating. Integrating. Unifying.

I am not sure which term exactly to use with regard to what the UQ Absolute, Ultimate, and Mind exactly do.

I do tend to use the word unifying more exclusively for personality, as that one is often used to reference what personality does.

But then, I also have read instances where mind is said to be a unifier as well.

(56:10.15) As mortal personality unifies the human experience with matter, mind, and spirit, so does this divine and supreme ideal become power-unified in Supremacy and then personalized as a God of fatherly love.

(116:3.4) Mind unifies spirit causations with energy reactions...

(42:11.7) Since mind co-ordinates the universe, fixity of mechanisms is nonexistent.

(9:1.3) The Conjoint Actor is the correlator of all actual reality...

Edited by Absonite
  • Like 1