Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
admin

Robert problem post

Guest mod2
Dear Ellen and all

I hope you had a good time in Christmas.

Regarding to the other moderator I see that Bill has entered to see how it works.

Welcome Bill I hope you like it and give us a hand.

About the "How to" I am afraid I haven't continued since that thread has been quiet. The new year is coming and we may put our priorities(potentials) in order so we can concentrate in actualizing them.

Happy New Year

U-rantian

I like it and will help make your dreams come true (actualize your potentials).

Bill

Guest U-rantian

Dear Bill

I like it and will help make your dreams come true (actualize your potentials).

I think you mean our potentials ;). We will appreciate your help, it is good to have another seasoned reader around.

Welcome again.

U-rantian

Dear Moderators,

I got this email.

Joe DiMaggio wants us to get rid of Robert of Oz.

My first thought is: No one is obligated to read or respond to everyone's post.

Any comments?

admin

admin,

You have been sent this communication from Joe DiMaggio via the "Report this post to a moderator" link.

------------------------------------------------

Topic: Urantia's status

Link to post: http://www.urantia-uai.org/forums/index.ph...;st=0#entry2665

Report:

Will you PLEASE get rid of this guy.

Regards,

My comment: Joe wrote a post. The next day he edited and re-wrote some part of it. Then Joe wrote a post asking for comments on his re-written post. He wanted some feedback, but what he got was robert's dissection. My opinion is that Joe wants robert gone, because he doesn't like what he got from robert. So Joe is having a reaction.

Actually, robert has been much more decent in tone since he got off suspension. I can almost understand what he attempts to communicate. But he is quite the obfuscater! It's what he loves to do.

I notice that several subscribers like to post privately to moderators. That's fine. But some might end up being a pain in the you-know-what. I do not want to be someone's pen pal.

Meredith

Dear Moderators,

I got this email.

Any comments?

admin

Hi Admin, Mods,

Today I'm borrowing my son's computer to write to you..

Yes, i saw Joe's message, and yes, i agree with Meredith;

i'm thinking he cannot follow Robert's obscure disjointed

thoughts. Robert's message did not seem to be worth

complaint to me.

If i have access to this computer for long, I'll be interested

to read the recent threads further, adding my own comment

-as Ellen- if i can see a way to show both Joe and Robert

some understanding of their messages.

mod1:Ellen

Dear Moderators,

I got this email.

Any comments?

admin

Guest mod2

When we think of the clammoring of some for Robert's blood, let's all stop a minute to recall some of the Master's beatitudes, could we? I personally don't care to engage Robert as my mind tires easily when I attempt to trace the labrynthine circuitious wanderings of his logic. I just can't take it. But I love it that he engages topics. Just don't expect me to be more than polite, OK?

Bill

Hi Bill,

You're doing a beautiful job participating in the discussions. Are there any clones of you out there you can recruit for the forum?

I'm beginning to read some of Robert's posts. They are quirky and still hard to follow. It seems he has softened somewhat since he came back. That is until I saw his latest post, see my post below.

So, did you end up retiring?

Mario

When we think of the clammoring of some for Robert's blood, let's all stop a minute to recall some of the Master's beatitudes, could we? I personally don't care to engage Robert as my mind tires easily when I attempt to trace the labrynthine circuitious wanderings of his logic. I just can't take it. But I love it that he engages topics. Just don't expect me to be more than polite, OK?

Bill

Robert's latest post. I think he got too cocky.

http://www.urantia-uai.org/forums/index.ph...entry2747

You want to take another vote?

On whether to suspend/ban Robert of Australia from the forum for

--3 months or

--permanently

Deadline for your votes Sunday, January 20. I'm suspending him temporarily until then.

I don't know about you but I could use some peace and quiet.

admin

Guest mod2

Bottom Line Time

If Robert is driving good people away who want to take part in sharing truth, beauty and goodness, then he should go. It is an abomination in the eyes of God to stand in the path of sincere truth seekers on their heavenly path to enlightenment. I can't tell if Robert has the ability to discern reality from the emanations of his troubled mind. He certainly has a mean streak that has to sear his soul to solid scar tissue.

This judgment thing is hard for me... I know I could just ignore him, but that is unlikely for new readers or visitors who will be deprived of service by his tsunami of dissonance and psychobabble and unfinished thoughts and vitriol.

If he can't exhibit maturity, then he shouldn't be allowed to play with the "big kids."

Bill

Yes, I did retire. Feels funny, kind of...

Hi all,

I just now sent this to Robert:

RE: The Western Civilization, In Decline?

IP: 210.50.68.14 | Post #73

Gee, Robert,

This post of yours has worn out my patience.

I've sent a notice to Admin and mods

recommending you be suspended for 3 weeks.

People have feelings and that DOES matter.

We all need a break from this drama.

Also, YOUR POSTS ARE TOO LONG AND TOO

CONVOLUTED FOR MOST TO READ.

We are all already struggling to

understand you and you've pushed ME

past the edge of tolerance.

This Forum is NOT

and WILL NOT BE ALL ABOUT ROBERT

mod1

Is robert going to be the forum's yo-yo member? In a bit, out a bit?

In our December vote about robert, I was the only nay-sayer. The vote was 3 to 1 to let him back on in January. Well, now we have him again. I'm voting to suspend/remove him. He has not demonstrated an ability to self-correct, despite our merciful bearing.

Meredith

Hi all,

I just now sent this to Robert:

RE: The Western Civilization, In Decline?

IP: 210.50.68.14 | Post #73

Gee, Robert,

This post of yours has worn out my patience.

I've sent a notice to Admin and mods

recommending you be suspended for 3 weeks.

People have feelings and that DOES matter.

We all need a break from this drama.

Also, YOUR POSTS ARE TOO LONG AND TOO

CONVOLUTED FOR MOST TO READ.

We are all already struggling to

understand you and you've pushed ME

past the edge of tolerance.

This Forum is NOT

and WILL NOT BE ALL ABOUT ROBERT

mod1

Extended his suspension to 30 days from today 11 January 2008.

This is what we have now:

Suspend/ban from forum

permanently: Meredith, Bill, admin

3 months:

3 weeks: Ellen

Deadline for votes 20 January.

I'm adding my vote to speed things up a bit.

The guy stepped way out of line.

admin

In our December vote about robert, I was the only nay-sayer. The vote was 3 to 1 to let him back on in January. Well, now we have him again. I'm voting to suspend/remove him. He has not demonstrated an ability to self-correct, despite our merciful bearing.

Meredith

Admin, Fellow Mods,

Years ago on the old urantiaT list, Robert McPherson showed up and his every post agitated somebody. He's always been more than a little cryptic, and often downright caustic. The urantiaT moderators gnashed their teeth long and often, and the participants raged on from every side of the issue, much as what's happened here lately.

After several years of Robert yo-yoing in and out of suspension, there was enough said to glimpse his peculiar situation. APPARENTLY, he is or was an ill man (can't recall if it was congenital or an injury, maybe Nigel knows....) and he saved what is left of his mind and body by a macrobiotic diet, which he almost always alludes to sooner or later. And he will rave on about chemical pollution, belittle and besiege anyone, anytime over their temerity to even speak on the matter. Knowing all that helped us understand his angst and he was more or less ignored, and soon after desisted, going on to other cyberenvironments.

As Bill says, he's obviously brilliant. Robert seems to have turned in on himself and thereby everyone else, his experience of life having been so harsh, he treats others that way. I see it this way: Robert will create a stir---at least he has for almost a decade on various U-lists, including Ubron, urantiaL, et al. By the way, he now regularly posts to "facsistfreeUrantia", a Yahoo reader's group who seem to enjoy the bar-room brawl level of communications, which is occasionally honest, but are always no holds barred free for alls.

The issue is important for us, and it comes down to this(I think): What kind of an atmosphere do we want to try to establish and maintain here? I feel like it should reflect the central attitudes and purposes of UAI, which are(to me), dignified, enlightened service, disseminating the virus and the teachings. UAI is the compatriot of Urantia Foundation and I would like to see that kind of reserved and dedicated attitude that Sadler and the Forum exemplified and institutionalized in the Foundation.

Seems like Robert just can't keep a civil tongue, and tho I completely dislike banning people, I know there are other places to go on the web for U-talk. If the Roberts and Claudes of the world met with rejection everywhere, it may sooner or later dawn on them that change is needed. And I have seen (believe it or not) Robert soften ever so slightly, but he still lashes out, as he did to Bill yesterday.

If this his third time to be suspended, I vote for at least six months suspension.

Rick

Guest mod4

Dear All

Robert is a reoffender and here we have been given him lavishly opportunities to adjust to the group, but he disregards any friendly hand/word that comes to him. I was surprised when he out of the blue went against Bill :(. Bill replied superbly and there is not a better closure for this matter. We have given some time and discussed about this personality as we did with Claude, now is time to move on and concentrate in the real thing, concepts. It is high time we start discussing concepts rather than people. We have our plate full trying to decipher what the Urantia Papers contains and to take that precious time in trying to figure out what an unbalanced personality is trying to communicate is not sensible.

Hence, I agree with Meredith and I do hope that this chapter about Robert is finished once and for all. My vote is to remove him permanently and to deny any apply future application. We are gathering experience so let us use it for the improvement of this forum towards serious and deep study.

Regards to all

M04

UPDATE

Suspend/ban Robert from forum

3 weeks: Ellen

3 months:

6 months: Rick

permanently: Meredith, Bill, admin, MO4

admin

OK, U'all, I "hear" that you think Robert has had enough chances,

and should be dropped permanently. I will abide by your decision

but am sorry that much of the point Robert makes goes

unappreciated.

Over and over his point seems to me to be that we

need to beware of our own tendencies toward mediocrity

through shallow interpretations of what is "real" and is

purported as our understanding of The URANTIA Book.

Robert's failing seems to me to be unwillingness to

let conversations develop with evidence of evolution

of thought among others in the discussion without

faith that they may reveal growth in understanding

without his intervention.

I truly believe that many of his observations are correct.

I see tendencies of people's blanket statements that

do NOT, in my opinion, accurately reflect the teachings

and I also see the tendency of some people to regard

their own presentations as sacrosanct and true and

accurate although they are not.

Robert's role as foil to this tendency can pass

away now but I hope we are not "cutting off our

nose to spite our face" because there are few

people who place such high regard on true pure spirit

in authentic living of life to heal and prevail

against darkness.

I, for one, will sorely miss Robert's insights, even

though painfully, awkwardly delivered. I am aware

that people will not stay here to even begin to discuss

their thoughts when their fondest preconceptions are

challenged and their fine opinions of themselves are disputed.

People hate being nagged and it takes time for them

to digest and assimilate new enlightened perceptions

of themselves and their role in the larger picture,

what we know is the Supreme Being.

This is like balancing between the guy who compromised

Jesus' message and the one who was adamant but

had no lasting followers.

Goodbye Robert. Hello new participants. Ya?

-mod1Ellen

Hi Mod 1,

I hear what you said - that you will sorely miss robert's insights and you think what he has to say is unappreciated. He is completely comfortable writing whatever comes into his mind. I am not attracted to his style, and I fail in my ability to comprehend his ramblings. I do not think he is interested in improving his communications. He thinks he is fine just the way he is. He is a child of God, a brother in the kingdom. All of us will be much improved when we get to the other side!

Each person gets to have his or her own and personal interpretations and understandings of the book. The moderators are not the judges of whether a person's interpretations are mediocre or shallow or profound. Some people are long time readers and they have had a lot of time to think about a lot of things, as they develop interpretations and understandings. Other people are very new. Carolyn, for example, is a long time reader, but is new to the Internet. She's had no prior posting experience. I'm a newbie myself! New to the forum experience.

Wishing you every blessing.

Thanks for your comments.

Meredith

OK, U'all, I "hear" that you think Robert has had enough chances,

and should be dropped permanently. I will abide by your decision

but am sorry that much of the point Robert makes goes

unappreciated.

I, for one, will sorely miss Robert's insights, even

though painfully, awkwardly delivered. I am aware

that people will not stay here to even begin to discuss

their thoughts when their fondest preconceptions are

challenged and their fine opinions of themselves are disputed.

>>>snipped

People hate being nagged and it takes time for them

to digest and assimilate new enlightened perceptions

of themselves and their role in the larger picture,

what we know is the Supreme Being.

This is like balancing between the guy who compromised

Jesus' message and the one who was adamant but

had no lasting followers.

Goodbye Robert. Hello new participants. Ya?

-mod1Ellen

Guest mod2

Dear Faithful,

We must maintain an atmosphere conducive to the expression of higher spiritual thoughts. It would be grand if a shy person felt comfortable to "chip in" here and bare their soul if they felt the need. A degree of propriety that allowed polite conversation and the innate dignity of God-indwelt will-creatures to be nurtured in noble and stimulating posting.

Not that I like BORING...

Look at it this way, would any of you allow some of this behavior in your core, long-time home study groups. I don't think so. That is the standard that needs to be maintained here, at a minimum, in my humble opinion.

I have had this happen over the years at the 533 Tuesday night study group. People drop in from all over. You never know. We also get, street people, people with severe "Terrets Syndrome," drunks, junkies in addition to your garden variety religious fanatics. It has devolved upon me, the six foot something 260 Lb construction guy to handle these situations. The Terrets guy fixed his meds and occasionally attends and is OK. Most of the other disrupters were disallowed. This study is very valuable to those who cherish learning more and I no longer feel guilt, anxiety or even think twice about doing what needs to be done.

The only shame would be to shut out someone by mistake, someone who could rehabilitate their behavior. But it is not worth the missed oppotunities of learning for those who come here to LEARN and/or TEACH.

Hi Mod 1,

I hear what you said - that you will sorely miss robert's insights and you think what he has to say is unappreciated. He is completely comfortable writing whatever comes into his mind. I am not attracted to his style, and I fail in my ability to comprehend his ramblings. I do not think he is interested in improving his communications. He thinks he is fine just the way he is. He is a child of God, a brother in the kingdom. All of us will be much improved when we get to the other side!

Each person gets to have his or her own and personal interpretations and understandings of the book. The moderators are not the judges of whether a person's interpretations are mediocre or shallow or profound. Some people are long time readers and they have had a lot of time to think about a lot of things, as they develop interpretations and understandings. Other people are very new. Carolyn, for example, is a long time reader, but is new to the Internet. She's had no prior posting experience. I'm a newbie myself! New to the forum experience.

Wishing you every blessing.

Thanks for your comments.

Meredith

Hi Meredith,

I AGREED to cooperate with you and all in this "Robert" decision,

based on what I think is fair, honest, and true.

You, Meredith said,

"I do not think he is interested in improving his communications"

mod1--I've known Robert over years and he's made a lot of progress

even since being here. I find him less insulting and more honest

than some people here who object to his presence. I haven't

bothered but could find line after line of direct complaint,

insult, and accusation aimed at Robert usually as a result of

him saying something like people are ignorant and misguided fools.

You, Meredith said,

"

The moderators are not the judges of whether a person's

interpretations are mediocre or shallow or profound. "

I never said that. I said that I thought Robert's point was

"person's interpretations are mediocre or shallow",

and since I agree with him I understand his point. People

simply don't like to read Robert. They don't "like" him.

And they don't like being treated as dolts.

Thank you!

-mod1Ellen

Thanks for your corrections, Mod 1.

You're right. People don't like being called or treated like fools or dolts.

I appreciate your fervent defense of him, in that he cannot be here to defend himself.

You know much more about him than I do.

Meredith

Hi Meredith,

I AGREED to cooperate with you and all in this "Robert" decision,

based on what I think is fair, honest, and true.

You, Meredith said,

"I do not think he is interested in improving his communications"

mod1--I've known Robert over years and he's made a lot of progress

even since being here. I find him less insulting and more honest

than some people here who object to his presence. I haven't

bothered but could find line after line of direct complaint,

insult, and accusation aimed at Robert usually as a result of

him saying something like people are ignorant and misguided fools.

You, Meredith said,

"

The moderators are not the judges of whether a person's

interpretations are mediocre or shallow or profound. "

I never said that. I said that I thought Robert's point was

"person's interpretations are mediocre or shallow",

and since I agree with him I understand his point. People

simply don't like to read Robert. They don't "like" him.

And they don't like being treated as dolts.

Thank you!

-mod1Ellen