Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers

Just a question. Is paradise and/or the created universes a literal projection from god? My opinion is an emphatic no but my opinion is taking a beating in another ub forum over this haha. Anyways just curious what your guys thoughts are.

Edited by boomshuka
  • Like 2

Boom - a search of "projected" turns up many different forms or definitions it would appear. Jesus' mission was "projected" as was the local universe "projected". The root word project is much different than projection - like a movie or something. A construction or craft job is a project, but not a projection, eh? Looking forward to answers....and I'm following the other thread. Peace.

• Like 1

For me personaly I have interpreted in the u.b that the material that makes up the universe is transumated, eventuated, and created. Not projected. I am pretty sure the people in the other forum mean exactly like a movie. Their theory is that God is literally projecting reality and that all reality is a literal projection from god, not unlike a movie projection. They are using the term very literally.

If you notice Van they are not using the quotes of projection from the urantia book to make a point because that type of projection is the type you are referring to which is sort of a metaphor or symbol. They are referring to a literal material or energy projection. In their opinion and in their words' finite reality is a holographic illusion, being projected from god', so the movie theatre analogy is actually what they are refering to.

Edited by boomshuka
  • Like 1

Yes, so I understand their position too. Naturally a brief visit to the dictionary reminds me project is both a noun and a verb - "to project". I hope there's bigger brains than mine to help you Boom for I am in way over my head (thus my virtual silence on the other thread) but loucol, you, nnunn, Ysmael and Bart are demonstrating keen intelligence and education!! It's so good for one such as I to witness the scientific mind and method revealing truth in our beloved Revelation.

My opinion is that as each of us experiencing truth do so incrementally and incompletely in its totality, that probably you're all probably both right and wrong! So don't get too attached! I'm not smart enough to take "sides" in this debate but I would point out three things I've always found to be weird. First is the metaphysical claim that solids are not but only appear to be to me/us. That solids "contain" far more space than material in elemental form and solid is an illusion of mind.

Next, in TUB we are told that angels (and others) "see" the material world as being shadowy and without substance and third is the reverse - that if we discern morontial as material, it appears to us similarly. What is that all about? I believe the same is true between morontial and spiritual beings as well. There would appear to be 3 distinct universe "realities" (at least) of physics and dimensions all in play at the same time FOR each level of universe being.

Oh I hate to go here, don't want to feed the ghouls of fantasy.....but, there are mystics who have claimed that reality is a dream state of ours or someone else's and our mind's reality is more real than wood and water so to speak. That we live in an inversion of reality or a reflection of same. Like the Matrix movies. Now, I certainly don't and never have believed such thinking, but I'm beginning to understand how the mind could construct such a fantasy.

Now, the problem with projection (correction, A problem I perceive) is the trillions of beings actively engaged in applying patterns and templates of creationism and life - are such needed for a pure projected construct of imagination? And all the many circuits of gravity and energy and mind and personality - why would a projected non-reality require all the maintenence and connectivity work for nonrealities? And then there is the life force itself endowed planet by planet and nurtured for billions of years - is this merely a projection?

And then there is the fact that everything projected must have source - not the film or projector but the material on film being projected. My belief is that every solar system and galaxy and universe and life endowment on every planet is unique. Certainly within pattern and laws of "physics" (very limited term for the reality - whatever that is) but nontheless - SURPRISING, UNEXPECTED, and the process of this is not stable or predictable (the outcome may be certain to Someone but there seems to be plenty of twists and turns along the way).

So I am with you on this Boom - I'm just no help. But I do not think we are fantasy, dream, construct, or projection. Project, the noun, and projectile, the noun, seem more realistic. Is there light? Is there gravity? Is there energy? Is there mass? Is there motion? Are these merely projections of God's imaginings? KABOOMMMM....the sound of one little brain exploding!! haha.

So glad all you brainiacs are on the side of truthbook...even if you're on different sides of the debate of discovery! Peace.

• Like 3

Paradise is pattern.

0:6.13 Pattern is a master design from which copies are made. Eternal Paradise is the absolute of patterns; the Eternal Son is the pattern personality; the Universal Father is the direct ancestor-source of both. But Paradise does not bestow pattern, and the Son cannot bestow personality.

115:3.14 The substance of the Paradise Isle is the master pattern of which Havona is a perfect, and the superuniverses are a perfecting, revelation.

9:3.8 Paradise is the pattern of infinity; the God of Action is the activator of that pattern. Paradise is the material fulcrum of infinity; the agencies of the Third Source and Center are the levers of intelligence which motivate the material level and inject spontaneity into the mechanism of the physical creation.

11:9.5 Patterns are never reflections; they are duplications — reproductions. Paradise is the absolute of patterns; Havona is an exhibit of these potentials in actuality.

104:5.6 The Paradise Isle is the absolute of cosmic reality, the absolute pattern.

42:1.1 The foundation of the universe is material, but the essence of life is spirit. The Father of spirits is also the ancestor of universes; the eternal Father of the Original Son is also the eternity-source of the original pattern, the Isle of Paradise.

• Like 3

I cannot find the quote which talks about the genissess of paradise. Even though I know there is none I recall something about its origin with the I AM. Maybe I misremembered though...

Yea Van I think as Bonita pointed out with those quotes about paradise. We don't need to be that scientifically smart to answer these questions. We just need to find the right quotes that make us seem smart hahaha. There is no science around that explains paradise and god no matter how hard we try to make that model. We really can only rely on the logical consistency of the revelation and our T.A plus the Spirit of Truth plus god haha.

Edited by boomshuka
  • Like 2

Have you noticed what masters of understatement and irony the authors are? You want me to teach what to who? You're kidding right? Clueless primitives! OK, but I warned you....

1152.3 The human mind can hardly form an adequate concept of eternity existences, and without such comprehension it is impossible to portray even our concepts of reality totality. Nevertheless, we may attempt such a presentation, although we are fully aware that our concepts must be subjected to profound distortion in the process of translation-modification to the comprehension level of mortal mind.

(1158.1) Just as the original diversification of the I AM must be attributed to inherent and self-contained volition, so must the promulgation of finite reality be ascribed to the volitional acts of Paradise Deity and to the repercussional adjustments of the functional triunities.

(1158.2) Prior to the deitization of the finite, it would appear that all reality diversification took place on absolute levels; but the volitional act promulgating finite reality connotes a qualification of absoluteness and implies the appearance of relativities.

(1158.3) While we present this narrative as a sequence and portray the historic appearance of the finite as a direct derivative of the absolute, it should be borne in mind that transcendentals both preceded and succeeded all that is finite. Transcendental ultimates are, in relation to the finite, both causal and consummational.

(1158.4) Finite possibility is inherent in the Infinite, but the transmutation of possibility to probability and inevitability must be attributed to the self-existent free will of the First Source and Center, activating all triunity associations. Only the infinity of the Father’s will could ever have so qualified the absolute level of existence as to eventuate an ultimate or to create a finite.

(1158.5) With the appearance of relative and qualified reality there comes into being a new cycle of reality — the growth cycle — a majestic downsweep from the heights of infinity to the domain of the finite, forever swinging inward to Paradise and Deity, always seeking those high destinies commensurate with an infinity source.

(1158.6) These inconceivable transactions mark the beginning of universe history, mark the coming into existence of time itself. To a creature, the beginning of the finite is the genesis of reality; as viewed by creature mind, there is no actuality conceivable prior to the finite. This newly appearing finite reality exists in two original phases:

(1158.7) 1.
Primary maximums,
the supremely perfect reality, the Havona type of universe and creature.

(1158.8) 2.
Secondary maximums,
the supremely perfected reality, the superuniverse type of creature and creation.

(1158.9) These, then, are the two original manifestations: the constitutively perfect and the evolutionally perfected. The two are co-ordinate in eternity relationships, but within the limits of time they are seemingly different. A time factor means growth to that which grows; secondary finites grow; hence those that are growing must appear as incomplete in time. But these differences, which are so important this side of Paradise, are nonexistent in eternity.

(1158.10 We speak of the perfect and the perfected as primary and secondary maximums, but there is still another type: Trinitizing and other relationships between the primaries and the secondaries result in the appearance of tertiary maximums — things, meanings, and values that are neither perfect nor perfected yet are co-ordinate with both ancestral factors.

(1162.1) IT IS not enough that the ascending mortal should know something of the relations of Deity to the genesis and manifestations of cosmic reality; he should also comprehend something of the relationships existing between himself and the numerous levels of existential and experiential realities, of potential and actual realities. Man’s terrestrial orientation, his cosmic insight, and his spiritual directionization are all enhanced by a better comprehension of universe realities and their techniques of interassociation, integration, and unification.

(1162.2) The present grand universe and the emerging master universe are made up of many forms and phases of reality which, in turn, are existent on several levels of functional activity.....

(1174.1) The paradox created by the experiential and the existential viewpoints is inevitable and is predicated in part on the fact that the Paradise Trinity and the Trinity of Trinities are each an eternity relationship which mortals can only perceive as a time-space relativity. The human concept of the gradual experiential actualization of the Trinity of Trinities — the time viewpoint — must be supplemented by the additional postulate that this is already a factualization — the eternity viewpoint. But how can these two viewpoints be reconciled? To finite mortals we suggest the acceptance of the truth that the Paradise Trinity is the existential unification of infinity, and that the inability to detect the actual presence and completed manifestation of the experiential Trinity of Trinities is in part due to reciprocal distortion because of:

(1174.2) 1. The limited human viewpoint, the inability to grasp the concept of unqualified eternity.

(1174.3) 2. The imperfect human status, the remoteness from the absolute level of experientials.

(1174.4) 3. The purpose of human existence, the fact that mankind is designed to evolve by the technique of experience and, therefore, must be inherently and constitutively dependent on experience. Only an Absolute can be both existential and experiential.

(1149.7) The Fourth Triunity — the triunity of energy infinity. Within this triunity there eternalizes the beginnings and the endings of all energy reality, from space potency to monota. This grouping embraces the following:

(1149.8) 1. The Father-Spirit.

(1149.9) 2. The Paradise Isle.

(1149.10) 3. The Unqualified Absolute.

(1149.11) Paradise is the center of the force-energy activation of the cosmos — the universe position of the First Source and Center, the cosmic focal point of the Unqualified Absolute, and the source of all energy. Existentially present within this triunity is the energy potential of the cosmos-infinite, of which the grand universe and the master universe are only partial manifestations.

(1149.12) The fourth triunity absolutely controls the fundamental units of cosmic energy and releases them from the grasp of the Unqualified Absolute in direct proportion to the appearance in the experiential Deities of subabsolute capacity to control and stabilize the metamorphosing cosmos.

(1149.13) This triunity
is
force and energy. The endless possibilities of the Unqualified Absolute are centered around the absolutum of the Isle of Paradise, whence emanate the unimaginable agitations of the otherwise static quiescence of the Unqualified. And
the endless throbbing of the material Paradise heart of the infinite cosmos beats in harmony with the unfathomable pattern and the unsearchable plan of the Infinite Energizer, the First Source and Center.

Manifestations of patterns in perpetual creation within absolute completeness on multiple levels of materialism and nonmaterialism in time but from eternity are hardly projections, eh? How does a projection eventuate potential into reality? Perhaps I'm not the only one in over their head? Peace.

Edited by fanofVan
  • Like 2

Everything here seems to say to me that Paradise is in laymens terns a infinite material pattern. I know spirit substance is unity substance and material substance is an individuality substance. So perhaps Paradise is an infinite pattern expressing the individuality (personality) of the first source center? The material vessel always seems to represent something of the true personality the higher we go so I imagine Paradise is patterned in the same fashion after the personality of god.

I will say nothing here says to me that Paradise is a projection. But its own material reality. I get the sense that god has intentionally put literal space between himself and the finite realm as to allow the possibility for humans or perfected beings to exist.

Edited by boomshuka
  • Like 1

The only thing that I know of that is projected from Paradise is physical force-energy flows, but they also return to Paradise in a circuit. The personality of the First Source and Center also projects love, which we eventually return to him through worship.

11:5.9 All physical force, energy, and matter are one. All force-energy originally proceeded from nether Paradise and will eventually return thereto following the completion of its space circuit. But the energies and material organizations of the universe of universes did not all come from nether Paradise in their present phenomenal states; space is the womb of several forms of matter and prematter. Though the outer zone of the Paradise force center is the source of space-energies, space does not originate there. Space is not force, energy, or power. Nor do the pulsations of this zone account for the respiration of space, but the incoming and outgoing phases of this zone are synchronized with the two-billion-year expansion-contraction cycles of space.

42:1.6 Energy proceeds from Paradise, fashioned after the divine order. Energy— pure energy — partakes of the nature of the divine organization; it is fashioned after the similitude of the three Gods embraced in one, as they function at the headquarters of the universe of universes. And all force is circuited in Paradise, comes from the Paradise Presences and returns thereto, and is in essence a manifestation of the uncaused Cause — the Universal Father; and without the Father would not anything exist that does exist.

42:1.8 Energy is eternal but not infinite; it ever responds to the all-embracing grasp of Infinity. Forever force and energy go on; having gone out from Paradise, they must return thereto, even if age upon age be required for the completion of the ordained circuit. That which is of Paradise Deity origin can have only a Paradise destination or a Deity destiny.

42:6.3 Ultimatons function by mutual attraction, responding only to the circular Paradise-gravity pull. Without linear-gravity response they are thus held in the universal space drift. Ultimatons are capable of accelerating revolutionary velocity to the point of partial antigravity behavior, but they cannot, independent of force organizers or power directors, attain the critical escape velocity of deindividuation, return to the puissant-energy stage. In nature, ultimatons escape the status of physical existence only when participating in the terminal disruption of a cooled-off and dying sun.

• Like 1

To me "projected" in the context of the UB means a plan or proposal, an undertaking requiring concerted effort. My understanding is demonstrated in the following:

Having decided upon making a public entrance into Jerusalem, the Master was confronted with the necessity of choosing a proper method of executing such a resolve. Jesus thought over all of the many more or less contradictory so-called Messianic prophesies, but there seemed to be only one which was at all appropriate for him to follow. Most of these prophetic utterances depicted a king, the son and successor of David, a bold and aggressive temporal deliverer of all Israel from the yoke of foreign domination. But there was one Scripture that had sometimes been associated with the Messiah by those who held more to the spiritual concept of his mission, which Jesus thought might consistently be taken as a guide for his projected entry into Jerusalem. This Scripture was found in Zechariah, and it said: "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem. Behold, your king comes to you. He is just and he brings salvation. He comes as the lowly one, riding upon an ass, upon a colt, the foal of an ass." P.1881 - §2

All the best,

Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert

Boom, since we're talking about Paradise, the source and center of the mathematical and material, it may be worth considering mathematical projections. This may even help with understanding how space respiration can be "space work but not power-energy work" (134.2) 12:4.13.

For those with good web connections (and feeling brave!), the 9 Chapters of this series: Dimensions Tour may help to get the ball rolling. For me, it rolled all the way to a compelling case for how an absonite pre-echo might enfold the finite.

If the idea of a mathematical projection is not familiar, then Chapter 1, from time index 9:38, may be a good place to start: "To get a better idea of what this projection does, ... "

For those with some background, "Chapter 8" (fibrations of a Hopf torus) may help with conceiving a hint of a glimpse of absonite embeddings. But please, do warm-up at time index 2:00, because a big conceptual bang comes at time index 10:25, "Sometimes, when the torus passes through the projection pole, ... ".

Nigel

• Like 2

Just a question. Is paradise and/or the created universes a literal projection from god? My opinion is an emphatic no but my opinion is taking a beating in another ub forum over this haha. Anyways just curious what your guys thoughts are.

Hi all!

Thanks Nigel!!!

boomshuka-I think this is correct, according to literal as we observe. because it is true that "is everywhere." You can look at the material. spiritually, in science, but the perception is relative and depends on each.

I think you look where you look is literally true that its projection is, literally Present.

Do not forget the "shadow space-time" and it is difficult to observe from this position, but we can feel and discern.

We have plenty of material for study in the UB.

(50.4) 3:4.6 Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolutetruth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel — literally experience — the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father’s LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.

Alina

• Like 3

To add to the discussion I would like to say that antecedent to “projection” of any sort is personality. Even in mathematics or any science, persons are the actors. Only personalities “project,” theorize, experiment, plan, propose, and carry out. Material aspects of the universe can be measured (though I can’t know if this applies to the universes of the four outer space levels discussed in the book, though celestial astronomers may be making calculations out there).

Mathematics, material science, is indispensable to the intelligent discussion of the material aspects of the universe, but such knowledge is not necessarily a part of the higher realization of truth or of the personal appreciation of spiritual realities.
P.141 - §4

In the beginning our Father projected reality in two phases, personal and nonpersonal, spiritual and nonspiritual, as we are informed. The central universe is made of material worlds and spiritual beings.

In the eternity of the past, when the Universal Father gave infinite personality expression of his spirit self in the being of the Eternal Son, simultaneously he revealed the infinity potential of his nonpersonal self as Paradise. Nonpersonal and nonspiritual Paradise appears to have been the inevitable repercussion to the Father's will and act which eternalized the Original Son. Thus did the Father project reality in two actual phases--the personal and the nonpersonal, the spiritual and the nonspiritual. The tension between them, in the face of will to action by the Father and the Son, gave existence to the Conjoint Actor and the central universe of material worlds and spiritual beings.
P.127 - §1

Everything nonspiritual is a means to an end, whereas person-relationships are ends in and of themselves.

All mortal concepts of reality are based on the assumption of the actuality of human personality; all concepts of superhuman realities are based on the experience of the human personality with and in the cosmic realities of certain associated spiritual entities and divine personalities. Everything nonspiritual in human experience, excepting personality, is a means to an end. Every true relationship of mortal man with other persons--human or divine--is an end in itself. And such fellowship with the personality of Deity is the eternal goal of universe ascension.
P.1228 - §3

Even Paradise is a material sphere.

Paradise is the eternal center of the universe of universes and the abiding place of the Universal Father, the Eternal Son, the Infinite Spirit, and their divine co-ordinates and associates. This central Isle is the most gigantic organized body of cosmic reality in all the master universe. Paradise is a material sphere as well as a spiritual abode. All of the intelligent creation of the Universal Father is domiciled on material abodes; hence must the absolute controlling center also be material, literal. And again it should be reiterated that spirit things and spiritual beings are
real
P.118 - §1

The grand universe is a material responsive living organism.

The grand universe is not only a material creation of physical grandeur, spirit sublimity, and intellectual magnitude, it is also a magnificent and responsive living organism. There is actual life pulsating throughout the mechanism of the vast creation of the vibrant cosmos. The physical reality of the universes is symbolic of the perceivable reality of the Almighty Supreme; and this material and living organism is penetrated by intelligence circuits, even as the human body is traversed by a network of neural sensation paths. This physical universe is permeated by energy lanes which effectively activate material creation, even as the human body is nourished and energized by the circulatory distribution of the assimilable energy products of nourishment. The vast universe is not without those co-ordinating centers of magnificent overcontrol which might be compared to the delicate chemical-control system of the human mechanism. But if you only knew something about the physique of a power center, we could, by analogy, tell you so much more about the physical universe.
P.1276 - §2

To my finite understanding, the universe is not "projected" on a movie screen as some may speculate.

All the best.

Meredith

• Like 3

I am dealing with this question on very simple way.

I can't grasp it, so I am leaving it for later.

when time for this come I am sure that It will be explained to me.

for now, knowing the basic picture is enough. :)

peace

• Like 1

Sylogisms:

A = A

B = A

therefore

A = B

That which 'is' - ' is'

That which 'is not' -' is'

therfore

that which' is' - 'is not'

It is by revelation, infinity-reality is manifested (projected) on existential and experiencial levels; and does so by the power-personality of the 1st Source and Center. This level is 'ere' he became the Father of the Son etc. From no thing to all things and beings. Any thing 'ere' to being existential reality is beyond our comprehension-------yet, made reasonable to our finite minds via the U.B..The 'projector' of all this power has personality which transcends all spirit, mind and material forces, powers and energies. One source of force of power for all self-differentiated and segregated parts of the Infinite One. From the finite point, we can commence compartimentalization and apply logic to these 'projections' which are both reasonable and acceptable to mortal comprehension. The immutable and Infinite One "MOVES" and infinity changeth naught.

My humble attempt at comprehension.

• Like 2

I ask Nigel with his much superior knowledge of mathmatics and science how one is to correlate this with spiritual and moral living. Do these two regimens promote compassionate morality? Do they correlate infinity with the the finite.

• Like 2

how one is to correlate this with spiritual and moral living. Do these two regimens promote compassionate morality? Do they correlate infinity with the finite.

As potential finaliters, understanding our circumstances is part of the deal. As human children, not only do we learn how to get along with parents, siblings and neighbors, we learn also about (and how to care for) our home and neighborhood. As adults, our circle of social interaction and material comprehension gets bigger. Learning to get along with ten univitatia, and cosmology, are just part of the curriculum. To truly appreciate our Dad, and our Michael, the more we learn about them (and what they have done to make us possible) the better! For those of us intrigued by how stars and galaxies work, it's just a small step to start wondering about "space respiration", and how Dad used Paradise to bestow space itself. Once we learn to paint, we soon want a broader palette, a bigger canvas...

No one said raising children was easy:

"And then, when such a universe has been so completely organized and so repletely manned, does the Creator Son enter into the Father's proposal to create mortal man in their divine image."
(359.5) 32:2.8

Dad knew this job of work would require Michaels.

Nigel

• Like 3

name='Raymond' timestamp='1343861603' post='23262']

how one is to correlate this with spiritual and moral living. Do these two regimens promote compassionate morality? Do they correlate infinity with the finite.

Hello Raymond, all!

According to what I understand, correlates the finite with the infinite, because it is also finite at infinity.

The perception is relative. is subject to the attributes of personality.

The opposite or "antipodean" as described in the quotes,shows both. I seem to remember that each antipodal comprises three, (also seems the revelations chose the right word!!! :) )

It is easy to discern this concept in God; we've been thinking about the relationship with the three personality attributes:

-The recognition of mathematical or logical consistency of physical causality.

-The recognition of the obligation of reasoned moral behavior.

-Faith-comprehension of Deity worship fellowship, associated with the service of love of humanity. (195,2)

In exercising these powers combined,and other of personality,such as States and Dimensions (1226.5)I find it is possible some insight.There may be a highly evolved soul who is able to observe the infinite, if only partially, something like a feeling, a sensation, a glow, to put it another way.Master Jesus watched infinity, but never lost sight of this reality.

This reminds me.Righteousness strikes the harmony chords of truth, and the melody vibrates throughout the cosmos, even to the recognition of the In- finite.(554.2)

(30.2) 1:6.3 Never lose sight of the antipodal viewpoints of personality as it is conceived by God and man. Man views and comprehends personality, looking from the finite to the infinite; God looks from the infinite to the finite. Man possesses the lowest type of personality; God, the highest, even supreme, ultimate, and absolute. Therefore did the better concepts of the divine personality have patiently to await the appearance of improved ideas of human personality, especially the enhanced revelation of both human and divine personality in the Urantian bestowal life of Michael, the Creator Son.

(50.4) 3:4.6 Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolute truth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel — literally experience — the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father’s LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.

Greetings,

Alina

Edited by Alina
  • Like 2