Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers

I was wondering who are role models in your life?

Also 1 more question, I swear I can remember a part in the u.b that briefly mention's role models, but I am not sure if anyone could find that in the u.b for me I would appreciate it. Though it may not be in the U.B and I may have imagined it hahahha.

I just know for me personally I enjoy have a few role model's, I mean I don't fixate on them to much but once in a while I enjoy looking up to those individuals who display spiritual fruit.

Two of my favourite role models are Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones. I don't know why I look up to these 2 men, but I do and I cannot help it hahaha. I suppose it may be foolhearty to consider 2 actor's as people I look up to, but I guess I just can't help it.

Edited by boomshuka

Also 1 more question, I swear I can remember a part in the u.b that briefly mention's role models, but I am not sure if anyone could find that in the u.b for me I would appreciate it.

Hi boomshuka,

Regarding your question, I thought of this reference about Jesus who did not live his life on earth to set an example for all other humans to copy.

P.1425 - §6
And this was his true and supreme purpose. He did not come down to live on Urantia as the perfect and detailed example for any child or adult, any man or woman, in that age or any other. True it is, indeed, that in his full, rich, beautiful, and noble life we may all find much that is exquisitely exemplary, divinely inspiring, but this is because he lived a true and genuinely human life. Jesus did not live his life on earth in order to set an example for all other human beings to copy. He lived this life in the flesh by the same mercy ministry that you all may live your lives on earth; and as he lived his mortal life in his day and
as he was
, so did he thereby set the example for all of us thus to live our lives in our day and
as we are
. You may not aspire to live his life, but you can resolve to live your lives even as, and by the same means that, he lived his. Jesus may not be the technical and detailed example for all the mortals of all ages on all the realms of this local universe, but he is everlastingly the inspiration and guide of all Paradise pilgrims from the worlds of initial ascension up through a universe of universes and on through Havona to Paradise. Jesus is the
new and living way
from man to God, from the partial to the perfect, from the earthly to the heavenly, from time to eternity.

So, Jesus is not my role model, but he is my inspiration and guide.

All the best,

Meredith

Good answer Meredith.

A role model, according to the dictionary, is a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated. Should we be imitating Jesus? The following quote says that we should be looking at what he did, rather than what he taught.

196:0.10 When you study the career of the Master, as concerns prayer or any other feature of the religious life, look not so much for what he taught as for what he did.

But, TUB makes it clear that we study what he did, not necessarily imitate what he did. We really can't imitate Jesus, even though there have been people like St. Francis of Assissi who started a Christ imitation craze. I think that up until his baptism, Jesus is an example of a human being functioning at the highest spiritual level a human being can function before fusing. After baptism is another story altogether. I think it was a wise decision for TUB to give us the information we are missing concerning Jesus' life prior to his baptism. And, I think there is a good reason why it has come now, because we really do need someone to look up to as an example in this day and age when all of our worthwhile heros have all but become extinct.

187:4.5 Here on the cross beside him he saw a really great man, a true hero. Here was a hero who fired his zeal and inspired his highest ideas of moral self-respect and quickened all his ideals of courage, manhood, and bravery. In beholding Jesus, there sprang up in his heart an overwhelming sense of love, loyalty, and genuine greatness.

Oh, what a great topic! I use Ratta as my role model figuring since women like Eve and Rabecca and Mary Magdalene made too many blunders. Ratta they say was brilliant and beautiful. I especially like the way she made up her mind to marry Adamson and then shortly thereafter the idea to marry her dawned on him all on his own as if it were his idea all along. Somehow she tricked him into thinking it was all his idea. I use that trick with my boyfriend all the time. And Jesus can't be used as an example for my own behavior. I certainly can't go around talking about God constantly, and ordering men around or ordaining apostles and evangelists. It just wouldn't be right.

(861.5) 77:5.5 And when she heard the story of Eden, how the predictions of Van and Amadon had really come to pass, and as she listened to the recital of the Garden default, she was encompassed with but a single thought — to marry this son and heir of Adam. And quickly the idea grew upon Adamson.

And didn't Ratta engage in a form of "last-minute" brinksmanship?" She was a young and nubile lass who could have had the adoration of any prince of the kingdoms she passed through to find the ONE man who had the genetic material to fulfill God's will and give us the marvelous gift of the Secondary Midwayers, the real citizens (along with their elder brothers and sisters) of this planet.

If she did not "come through" and succeed in her mission, the world would be a much poorer place (spiritually).

I agree :D I always say that the models became extinct! And there remain only in the books are in another world.

But a few years ago I had the opportunity ((for incredible series of

coincidences) ) to talk personally with the writer Richard Bach and admire many of his ideas because he "uses them." I'm not saying I agree at all with this model, but alone in the conversation I realized and felt that he is loyal to himself, that he has a lot of inner peace. Besides a few things he told me, some are in his books.

"Sometimes you feel alone when you want to fly higher, others do not understand ..."

And the right is difficult, we already know.

Always remember many words, I had left as a lesson and come to my memory when I need them.

Richard has a part that I lack, or rather, I can hardly bear to practice

sometimes.

Well, a little history.

Greetings,

Alina

Alina,

There are many (seemingly) different paths to the "godhead" and Jonathon Livingston Seagull liberated my inner self to "break free" of the standard conventions of thinking that influenced my time as a young person, in North America.Thanks be to Providence that I discovered that God is a person and not just a good feeling about nature.

That's Bill!

"Wings for life" also influenced my youth.

I think our Father, through our Thought Adjuster Spirit, we will, somehow, incredibly often, taking the path ...

When I was with Richard, did not yet know the UB. I was in search of something ... and spent a few years when finally showed up Revelations in my life.

Before ... phew :D ...So many things! So many coincidences! Today I realize that in an orderly manner all contributed to the preparation prior to my encounter with Revelations.

Thanks Bill!

Greetings,

Alina

Good day all!

Actually we have a model to follow: The Master. Not to live his life exactly.

48:6.15 Even on Urantia, these seraphim teach the everlasting truth: If your own mind does not serve you well, you can exchange it for the mind of Jesus of Nazareth, who always serves you well.

It would be a model, right? As in any situation and when we're not sure how to act, we might ask ourselves

- What would Jesus do now?

- What would he think?

Then, looking at his teachings surely will find answers.

Alina

And didn't Ratta engage in a form of "last-minute" brinksmanship?" She was a young and nubile lass who could have had the adoration of any prince of the kingdoms she passed through to find the ONE man who had the genetic material to fulfill God's will and give us the marvelous gift of the Secondary Midwayers, the real citizens (along with their elder brothers and sisters) of this planet.

If she did not "come through" and succeed in her mission, the world would be a much poorer place (spiritually).

I had to Google the words "brinkmanship" and "nubile" :D. It's fun learning scholarly words from forum members! You are right. I didn't realize that she gave us the secondary midwayers. I just assumed that they would have eventually appeared from some other avenue if not for her. No planet could be without them. But you may be right. There's a lot of things our planet does without. I wouldn't put it past the universe to allow our planet to go without secondary midwayers. I suppose we owe thanks to her coy brilliance. But I don't think her refusal to marry was an act of brinkmanship. She being a superhuman was probably not attracted to the more animal-like men in her surrounding tribes. I sure know what it's like to be surrounded by animals.

The world could use a few good John the baptists as role models though :D . Or johnettes hahaha. I am curious do women find it slightly challenging to look up to people like john the baptist as a role model because he was a male? or no?

Edited by boomshuka

The world could use a few good John the baptists as role models though :D . Or johnettes hahaha. I am curious do women find it slightly challenging to look up to people like john the baptist as a role model because he was a male? or no?

Yes, like I said, I can't imitate John or Jesus, but not just because they are men. That's only half the problem. They are also in special circumstances that I will never be in. But there's the inspiration, like what Meredith pointed out. They inspire me. When I think of all the crazy stuff John did, it amazes me that he had God's full approval for it all. He was so ignorant of Jesus' gospel. He made animal sacrifices and so forth. He ate locusts and dressed like a crazy man.

(1627.1) 144:8.4 “Verily, verily, I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen a greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is but small in the kingdom of heaven is greater because he has been born of the spirit and knows that he has become a son of God.”

Jesus' distant cousin was the greatest of the Hebrew Prophets and closed out the Fourth Epoch*. Jesus could not begin his public work until John had finished his.

As a religious teacher, Jesus of Nazareth started out with the cult which had been established by John the Baptist and progressed as far as he could away from fasts and forms. (1010)

*"the age of Adam, the third planetary epoch"(830-3)

I think a good role model for women would be Mary, the mother of Jesus. There is so much about her we can actually imitate. She had an ever-sunny, cheerful disposition. She started a courtship with a great guy by bringing him a cup of water when he was at work building a barn. She was an above average housekeeper/cook. She was a strict disciplinarian. She resisted the urge to make her son self-conscious and insecure by keeping him too close to her at all times. Even though it was hard, she let him play with the other kids a lot. She prepared her son to be a leader. She was righteously indignant, determined, and optimistic. She gave hearty consent to liberalize the strict Jewish customs. She had a child-rearing method of turning over the boys to their father at age five. She assigned leadership positions to eldest son and eldest daughter that had to be passed down before they could be relinquished. Her home was well-run and well organized like a tight ship. Even the tots had chores. That's so cute.

(1348.2) 122:5.2 She was usually cheerful, was very rarely downcast, and possessed an ever-sunny disposition.

MW,

I love you.

YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS ABOUT MARY.

What about the crisis at Capernaum, what about Michael's last words to the woman, ""I desire that you depart from this place."(2010)

You just want to start something. I'll go with you! Tell me more about the "goodness" of Mary (Mother of God).

Ellanora was a great women :D.

Edited by boomshuka

Ellanora IS a great woman as is Mary (now that she has had some mansion world training). To God, what matters is what was the desire of the heart, not what the act was. I am comfortable with the essential goodness of Mary and I am sure she thought she knew what was best for her "baby boy," who happened to also be the Father of the being who appeared to her before Jesus was born and told her,""I come at the bidding of one who is my Master and whom you shall love and nurture. To you, Mary, I bring glad tidings when I announce that the conception within you is ordained by heaven, and that in due time you will become the mother of a son; you shall call him Joshua, and he shall inaugurate the kingdom of heaven on earth and among men. Speak not of this matter save to Joseph and to Elizabeth, your kinswoman, to whom I have also appeared, and who shall presently also bear a son, whose name shall be John, and who will prepare the way for the message of deliverance which your son shall proclaim to men with great power and deep conviction. And doubt not my word, Mary, for this home has been chosen as the mortal habitat of the child of destiny. My benediction rests upon you, the power of the Most Highs will strengthen you, and the Lord of all the earth shall overshadow you."

The Panoptians (under Melchizedek leadership) refused to follow their Planetary Prince into rebellion and Ellanora was their leader. Mary was Michael's mother here on Urantia and presented many challenges to the Master as he matured as a child and later as he took up his life's work.

Anybody can be a "Monday Morning Quarterback" (American football term) and say what would have been best. My gripe is that she did not even seem to consider the many,many times Jesus admonished her to do right but persisted stubbornly to follow her own way. She was truly the prototypical "Jewish Mother" and her kind live on and on, even unto this day, on Urantia. A great family friend, a Medical Malpractice Lawyer who literally "wrote the book "(textbook) used in Law School to train attorneys, has a mother much like Mary. He is a good man in every way yet avoids his mother because he is never quite good enough in her eyes. I wonder if Mary thought, "My son the carpenter (He could have been a Messiah!")

I'm shocked to hear such attacks on Mary. She was a dutiful mother and undoubtedly would have given her life for her son had the need arose. She may have vacillated in her opinions about his career, but that is because she cared for his welfare above all else; a mother's love is no small thing. Nevertheless, she always came back to Gabriel's message and steadfastly believed in her son, as any loving mother would, even though she did not understand him. In fact, no one really understood him, least of all the men who wandered about with him who made even more ridiculous demands on his power, one of which turned out to be much more of a pain in his arse than Mary ever was.

122:5.6 Had Joseph lived, he undoubtedly would have become a firm believer in the divine mission of his eldest son. Mary alternated between believing and doubting, being greatly influenced by the position taken by her other children and by her friends and relatives, but always was she steadied in her final attitude by the memory of Gabriel’s appearance to her immediately after the child was conceived.

Read well the events in Capernaum in Paper 154.

Ruth was the only member of Jesus' family who refused the intense pressure brought to bear upon the family by the powerful agents of the Pharisees and the only one in his family who believed wholeheartedly and continuously in the divinity of his mission on earth. She is the shining example that should be held aloft as a role model.

Mary was likewise torn between love and fear, between mother love and family pride. She was was never able to grasp the nature or significance of Jesus' divinity or his mission on earth, despite having the advantage of a lifetime with Him. We are speaking of ROLE MODELS here and I submit she does, in no way, fall or rise into this category of consideration. Jesus uttered the words, " I have no mother" to His followers in the parting address Mary and her family attempted to interrupt with such self-centered self-interest. In my humble opinion,Mary did not respond well to her Spirit Adjutant of Courage. This is why, at this time, the Master said, "Bid them be of good courage and put their trust in the Father of the kingdom"

Her faith, raised to such heights at Cana, now sank to new low levels. She could only fall back on her so oft-repeated exclamation: "I cannot understand him. I cannot figure out what it all means." But James's wife did much to bolster Mary's courage.(1534)

I am not attacking Mary. But why were so many other women and men able to make that leap of faith and wholeheartedly accept the Master when she could not bring herself to do so? My attempts to place myself into her "shoes" and try to understand her lack of decision in her later life, after Jesus departed the home and went into the World, make me sympathetic. No other woman has ever had such an extraordinary task as being mother to a real God.

I am certain, were I placed in her position, I would have surely mucked things up and reacted much more poorly than she. If my life was examined with such scrutiny by the Midwayers and was published for all posterity to peruse, I would be laughed at and dismissed as a helpless sinner.

Yet it is easy to look back upon those times and speculate on personal motivation. The incalculable benefits to the evolution of spiritual consciousness that derives from the universal bestowal of Thought Adjusters and the immediate personal access to Divinity that is given by the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth cannot be taken for granted.

Bonita I am chastened and will not judge Mary by her few weak moments as a 21st century man .

Bill and Boom, you both are missing the point of a role model. A role model is someone you can imitate on a daily basis their ways and practical means of living. Ellenora can't be used as a role model for any woman on this planet because we are not in the special circumstance that she is in. She was in some kind of situation of which they do not explain. And we have no idea what kind of woman she was on a daily basis. Was she a mother? Was she a bank executive? We have no idea how to imitate her. She's in the category of John and Jesus, an inspiration.

I realize that Mary rejected Jesus' gospel message and tried to convince him not to commit suicide by continuing to preach it. She also died of grief two years after his death. So I don't hold it against her for not wanting her son to be executed for crimes of the state.

I still see her as a role model because of the person she was on a daily basis in a natural, normal circumstance. It is in the natural, normal life situations that we find our role models, how we run our households, how we relate to our children, how we maintain our daily attitude.

All these other extraordinary events rarely occur in our daily lives. If we only focus on the extraordinary acts of extraordinary people in extraordinary situations, we won't have a clue what to do with our ordinary selves in ordinary life.

Yea that is true, it would be nice to have some role models of human beings who actually are living right now as spiritual adults. "It is Sad to record that so few mortals".....or in other words it is sad to record few mortals are actually thinking properly hahaha goshnallie.