Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Bonita

Personality Assurance

The phrase "personality assurance" shows up only once in TUB in the following quote (at least it's the only one I could find):

101:5.14 Increasingly throughout the morontia progression the assurance of truth replaces the assurance of faith. When you are finally mustered into the actual spirit world, then will the assurances of pure spirit insight operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed upon, these former techniques of
personality assurance.

It's clear from the quote that faith assurance, truth assurance and pure spirit insight are techniques of personality assurance.

Does anyone want to offer a definition for personality assurance?

The phrase "personality assurance" shows up only once in TUB in the following quote (at least it's the only one I could find):

101:5.14 Increasingly throughout the morontia progression the assurance of truth replaces the assurance of faith. When you are finally mustered into the actual spirit world, then will the assurances of pure spirit insight operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed upon, these former techniques of
personality assurance.

It's clear from the quote that faith assurance, truth assurance and pure spirit insight are techniques of personality assurance.

Does anyone want to offer a definition for personality assurance?

I suppose the word "assurance" needs to be clarified first. It refers to that which gives or inspires confidence. So, my interpretation of "personality assurance", in this context, is finding confidence in personality survival. For most of us at the mortal stage, personality survival is difficult to believe in, and certainly hard to feel confident about. For us, the "technique" of faith, supported by revelation, is pretty much all we have. I need hardly add that revelation itself presupposes faith, to be recognized as revelation. For those of us who are faith-challenged, it's very hard to see a difference between ourselves and road kill, as far as our ultimate destiny is concerned.

I imagine, however, that for people of greater spiritual maturity, in whom faith is much stronger, it's a different story. Their morontia souls are already well on the way, and in them the spirit of truth operates more robustly. Such people perhaps apprehend the reality of personality survival more clearly, and this continues in the post-mortal morontial levels. Finally, at the level of pure spirit, personality survival is apprehended as directly as Descartes's "I think therefore I am."

Guest Ewald Bushman

101:5.14 Increasingly throughout the morontia progression [building process through trial and error] the assurance of [belief in] truth replaces the assurance [trust] of faith. When you are finally mustered into [(can) realize or (can) perceive] the actual spirit world, then will the assurances [confidence] of [the] pure spirit insight [residing in you] operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed [oppressed] upon, these former techniques of [determining the best fit or actual] personality assurance.

Please note the highlighted addition(s) in this statement above and let us look at this in a different way.

The word “assurance” seems to be causing confusion and might be better interpreted or replaced with the word meaning of “trust”, “belief” and / or “Confidence”.

The word “techniques” implies that “personality assurance” is a progressive action or methodology to find a truth or actual resulting fact, like a testing process.

The human body can be considered as an avatar or shell that contains a soul. However, the soul is an entire grouping of ‘entities’ that make up a person or in this case a personality. These ‘entities’ must work in perfect harmony with each other to function as a pure spirit being so that the “morontia progression” can occur for the personality.

Sometimes we as mortal beings can’t see who we are because of circumstances’ that are beyond our control or ability to understand. We share our lives with others not just to exist from one day to another but to experience life so that we can sort out everything inside us to determine who we are.

In this case there is a process that is being used to help everyone find the “I Am” within us, as in “I think therefore I am”. As the Urantia Book has explained, there is a spark of the Heavenly Father within us all. This Spark is the common factor that binds us together but, it can also be used as a common factor that can work to light up when a person’s conscience is linked with their sub-conscience and units and function with all the other ‘entities’ that make up the personality. Once you find one true part or entity in the personality we may find that it does not fit well with another part or entity however until you find those true parts you may have to settle with the best fit until you complete the “techniques” that completes the true personality in that person. Because of this technique and its progression we as mortal beings must play our part in the theater of life.

Therefore the term “personality assurance” might be looked upon as a confirmation of changes to the way we feel and think and know GOD within us. As you go forward in this process the ”… faith [becomes] … truth” in our mindal thoughts thereby assuring the Spark that this change was the best fit for this persons (Soul’s) personality and is proof that another door or windows has opened so that we can see more clearly that GOD is with us all.

101:5.14 Increasingly throughout the morontia progression [building process through trial and error] the assurance of [belief in] truth replaces the assurance [trust] of faith. When you are finally mustered into [(can) realize or (can) perceive] the actual spirit world, then will the assurances [confidence] of [the] pure spirit insight [residing in you] operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed [oppressed] upon, these former techniques of [determining the best fit or actual] personality assurance.

Please note the highlighted addition(s) in this statement above and let us look at this in a different way.

The word “assurance” seems to be causing confusion and might be better interpreted or replaced with the word meaning of “trust”, “belief” and / or “Confidence”.

The word “techniques” implies that “personality assurance” is a progressive action or methodology to find a truth or actual resulting fact, like a testing process.

The human body can be considered as an avatar or shell that contains a soul. However, the soul is an entire grouping of ‘entities’ that make up a person or in this case a personality. These ‘entities’ must work in perfect harmony with each other to function as a pure spirit being so that the “morontia progression” can occur for the personality.

Sometimes we as mortal beings can’t see who we are because of circumstances’ that are beyond our control or ability to understand. We share our lives with others not just to exist from one day to another but to experience life so that we can sort out everything inside us to determine who we are.

In this case there is a process that is being used to help everyone find the “I Am” within us, as in “I think therefore I am”. As the Urantia Book has explained, there is a spark of the Heavenly Father within us all. This Spark is the common factor that binds us together but, it can also be used as a common factor that can work to light up when a person’s conscience is linked with their sub-conscience and units and function with all the other ‘entities’ that make up the personality. Once you find one true part or entity in the personality we may find that it does not fit well with another part or entity however until you find those true parts you may have to settle with the best fit until you complete the “techniques” that completes the true personality in that person. Because of this technique and its progression we as mortal beings must play our part in the theater of life.

Therefore the term “personality assurance” might be looked upon as a confirmation of changes to the way we feel and think and know GOD within us. As you go forward in this process the ”… faith [becomes] … truth” in our mindal thoughts thereby assuring the Spark that this change was the best fit for this persons (Soul’s) personality and is proof that another door or windows has opened so that we can see more clearly that GOD is with us all.

<3

Enough said! Very well put Ewald.

I suppose the word "assurance" needs to be clarified first. It refers to that which gives or inspires confidence. So, my interpretation of "personality assurance", in this context, is finding confidence in personality survival. For most of us at the mortal stage, personality survival is difficult to believe in, and certainly hard to feel confident about. For us, the "technique" of faith, supported by revelation, is pretty much all we have.

I agree that the word "assurance" should be defined. Not only does it mean confidence, but it means certainty. In another context it means a promise or guarantee.

When it comes to personality, all we get is consciousness of the self, consciousness of other selves and free will. Personality, itself, is devoid of identity; it requires something to be identified with in order to function. By itself, it is only a pattern of unification bestowed upon a living energy system which utilizes mind, but mind is not personality. Personality also utilizes spirit, but it is not spirit. So, the assurance, certainty or guarantee that the personality actually exists requires an energy system a mind and spirit on which to experience itself and other selves. A personality cannot exist in isolation.

Am I getting too heady here? To put it more simply, one must realize at some point that one's self-consciousness is entirely dependent upon the coordination of all of these factors. The personality cannot exist without other personalities. Although it can exist without energy systems and mind, it would not have identity. Identity is crucial. Energy systems and mind systems are borrowed by the personality. There has to be something that guarantees or assures the personality that it will continue to know itself and know others regardless of what energy system and what mind it is using to function with. I would guess that assurance comes from experience which gives absolute confidence to the personality that it will maintain identity despite all the changes it is forced to progress through in function.

So, I agree that personality assurance has to do with survival of identity. I also think that personality assurance results in an intellectual certainty that is unassailable.

103:9.12 There is a reality in religious experience that is proportional to the spiritual content, and such a reality is transcendent to reason, science, philosophy, wisdom, and all other human achievements. The convictions of such an experience are unassailable; the logic of religious living is incontrovertible; the certainty of such knowledge is superhuman; the satisfactions are superbly divine, the courage indomitable, the devotions unquestioning, the loyalties supreme, and the destinies final — eternal, ultimate, and universal.