Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers

I've become aware of something that had completely escaped me in the Urantia Book until now, and that is that the Edenic peninsula was not a peninsula at all during the times of Adam, and was not surrounded by water at all. During that time the Mediterranean basin was dry according to the UB, and did not become filled with water until later:

[80:1.1]...During the earlier days of the violet race the Mediterranean trough was protected by the Gibraltar isthmus and the Sicilian land bridge...

and...

[80:1.4] But during earlier times there was little to hinder the westward migration of the Adamites.

and then...

[80:2.4] About the time of these climatic changes in Africa, England separated from the continent, and Denmark arose from the sea, while the isthmus of Gibraltar, protecting the western basin of the Mediterranean, gave way as the result of an earthquake, quickly raising this inland lake to the level of the Atlantic ocean Presently the Sicilian land bridge submerged, creating one sea of the Mediterranean and connecting it with the Atlantic Ocean. This cataclysm of nature flooded scores of human settlements and occasioned the greatest loss of life by flood in all the world's history.

So okay, WHEN exactly did this happen? The UB is not very specific about the actual time the Mediterranean basin was flooded, and it had to have been some time after the beginning of the Adamic regime, but before the Adamic default, because:

[76:0.1] WHEN Adam elected to leave the first garden to the Nodites unopposed, he and his followers could not go west, for the Edenites had no boats suitable for such a marine adventure.

So it would seem that the Mediterranean basin flooded during the reign of Adam and Eve in the first garden, but the UB makes no mention of this gigantic event whatsoever in the story of Eden and the Edenic regime and culture. I find this MOST curious.

Also quite interesting is that the first garden was situated on a chosen site that subsequently remained above the cataclysmic flood that was later to occur, during the Edenic regime of Adam and Eve.

I can't really pin down the exact time of this flooding of the Med basin, but it had to be after the installation of the Adamic regime and before the default, which narrows it down to within one hundred years because:

[75:3.1] Adam had just finished his first one hundred years on earth when Serapatatia, upon the death of his father, came to the leadership of the western or Syrian confederation of the Nodite tribes.

... and as we know it was not long after this that the default took place, as Serapatatia and Eve matured their plans for five years or so.

I find all of this quite a wowie. Why does not the story of Adam and Eve in the first garden mention this enormous event at all? Surely it had to have had some impact upon the garden and it's culture, as well as the surrounding peoples, many of which were wiped out.

Most curious...

Still more curious is that after the default we are told that:

[75:5.9] But still more trouble was brewing: The news of the annihilation of the Nodite settlement near Eden was not slow in reaching the home tribes of Serapatatia to the north, and presently a great host was assembling to march on the Garden.

Well excuse me, but they would have to have been to the east since to the north was now the Mediterranean Sea and all who lived to the north had been flooded out.

Edited by amylewis

Amy,

Just wondering, did you read this quote?

73:3.3 This Mediterranean peninsula had a salubrious climate and an equable temperature; this stabilized weather was due to the encircling mountains and to the fact that
this area was virtually an island in an inland sea
. While it rained copiously on the surrounding highlands, it seldom rained in Eden proper. But each night, from the extensive network of artificial irrigation channels, a "mist would go up" to refresh the vegetation of the Garden.

Amy,

Just wondering, did you read this quote?

73:3.3 This Mediterranean peninsula had a salubrious climate and an equable temperature; this stabilized weather was due to the encircling mountains and to the fact that
this area was virtually an island in an inland sea
. While it rained copiously on the surrounding highlands, it seldom rained in Eden proper. But each night, from the extensive network of artificial irrigation channels, a "mist would go up" to refresh the vegetation of the Garden.

Yes Bonita I've read that one, but it does seem to contradict what I posted above, hence my dilemma.

I've become aware of something that had completely escaped me in the Urantia Book until now, and that is that the Edenic peninsula was not a peninsula at all during the times of Adam, and was not surrounded by water at all. During that time the Mediterranean basin was dry according to the UB, and did not become filled with water until later:

[80:1.1]...During the earlier days of the violet race the Mediterranean trough was protected by the Gibraltar isthmus and the Sicilian land bridge...

According to TUB, the Mediterranean had shores as far back as 120,000,000 years ago. (Read 60.2 and 73.7)

The event of the isthmus of Gibraltar and the Sicilian land bridge falling simply served to connect the Mediterranean Sea with the Atlantic Ocean. What happened was the eastern seabed sunk while the eastern land mass rose. It was the sinking of the seabed that slowly flooded the peninsula, not the influx of water from the Atlantic.

40,000,000 years ago:

61:1.12 During the latter part of this epoch most of Europe was submerged. Following a slight land rise the continent was covered by lakes and bays. The Arctic Ocean, through the Ural depression, ran south to connect with the Mediterranean Sea as it was then expanded northward, the highlands of the Alps, Capathianss, Apennines, and Pyrenees being up above the water as islands of the sea. The Isthmus of Panama was up; the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were separated. North America was connected with Asia by the Bering Strait land bridge and with Europe by way of Greenland and Iceland. The earth circuit of land in northern latitudes was broken only by the Ural Straits, which connected the arctic seas with the enlarged Mediterranean.

15,000,000 years ago:

61:3.8 The Strait of Gibraltar closed, and Spain was connected with Africa by the old land bridge, but the Mediterranean flowed into the Atlantic through a narrow channel which extended across France, the mountain peaks and highlands appearing as islands above this ancient sea. Later on, these European seas began to withdraw. Still later, the Mediterranean was connected with the Indian Ocean, while at the close of this period the Suez region was elevated so that the Mediterranean became, for a time, an inland salt sea.

61:4.2 10,000,000 years ago began an age of widespread local land deposits on the lowlands of the continents, but most of these sedimentations were later removed. Much of Europe, at this time, was still under water, including parts of England, Belgium, and France, and the Mediterranean Sea covered much of northern Africa.

1,000,000 years ago:

64:1.1 Primitive man made his evolutionary appearance on earth a little less than one million years ago, and he had a vigorous experience. He instinctively sought to escape the danger of mingling with the inferior simian tribes. But he could not migrate eastward because of the arid Tibetan land elevations, 30,000 feet above sea level; neither could he go south nor west because of the expanded mediterranean Sea, which then extended eastward to the Indian Ocean; and as he went north, he encountered the advancing ice.

500,000 years ago:

64:6.11 The orange race was the first to follow the coast line southward toward Africa as the Mediterranean Sea withdrew to the west.

64:7.13 The superior races sought the northern or temperate climes, while the orange, green, and indigo races successively gravitated to Africa over the newly elevated land bridge which separated the westward retreating mediterranean from the Indian Ocean.

40,000 years ago:

73:3.1 The committee on location was absent for almost three years. It reported favorably concerning three possible locations: The first was an island in the Persian Gulf; the second, the river location subsequently occupied as the second garden; the third, a long narrow peninsula—almost an island—projecting westward from the eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea.

There's absolutely no evidence anywhere that the Mediterranean was dry as you say.

There's absolutely no evidence anywhere that the Mediterranean was dry as you say.

then you have simply not read my original post.

Yeah, I did. Several times. Your point is lost on me. TUB says there was water in the Mediterranean for 12 million years. I think you're reading something into it that is not there. The peninsula did not suffer a cataclysmic flood. It sank slowly over hundreds of years after it was vacated by Adam and Eve. But the Mediterranean Sea was NOT DRY when this SLOW event occurred.

73:7.1 The sinking was not sudden, several hundred years being required completely to submerge the entire peninsula.

As truth seekers, we follow our inner spirit to guide us to truth. Ironically, what occurred at the gates of Gibraltar ties in with Plato and his story of Atlantis. Isn't is awesome now-a-days that physical truths can be more or less proven by science. (may not be conclusive ever, but a high probability of collaboration of factual evidence lead the spirit of the heart(Spirit of Truth) to what actually is truth)

Nat Geo aired a wonderful episode called "Finding Atlantis", that I found after watching it for it all to just make sense. In this case, the Gates of Gibraltar would have separated by earthquake also causing a tsunami....

Amy, Bonita... it is well worth watching. The only thing is I cannot remember the dates of estimate of occurrence. Nope, not even in the slightest... lol To me, it is a part of the past and dates, are for the most part, unimportant. There are many things to seek in truth that being focused on such things as dates takes away from those more important things. I mean really, to Father, this like just happened... Father has eternity and one must also realize the effect of this in thought.

Keep searching; the truth is never far from you if you truly want to see it with the proper perception. :)

Another thing, Amy, is that the cataclysmic flood that you referred to, the one that killed more people than all of earth's history, occurred thousands of years after Adam and Eve.

Edited by Bonita

Another thing, Amy, is that the cataclysmic flood that you referred to, the one that killed more people than all of earth's history, occurred tens of thousands of years after Adam and Eve.

Well Bonita I'm sorry I ever bought it up. You win. I'll never disagree with you again.

best of luck to you.

Well, let's see. There's this:

73:7.1 After the first garden was vacated by Adam, it was occupied variously by the Nodites, Cutites, and the Suntites. It later became the dwelling place of the northern Nodites who opposed co-operation with the Adamites. The peninsula had been overrun by these lower-grade Nodites for almost four thousand years after Adam left the Garden when, in connection with the violent activity of the surrounding volcanoes and the submergence of the Sicilian land bridge to africa, the eastern floor of the Mediterranean Sea sank, carrying down beneath the waters the whole of the Edenic peninsula. Concomitant with this vast submergence the coast line of the eastern Mediterranean was greatly elevated. And this was the end of the most beautiful natural creation that Urantia has ever harbored. The sinking was not sudden, several hundred years being required completely to submerge the entire peninsula.

And the passage you first quoted:

80:2.4 About the time of these climatic changes in africa, England separated from the continent, and Denmark arose from the sea, while the isthmus of Gibraltar, protecting the western basin of the Mediterranean, gave way as the result of an earthquake, quickly raising this inland lake to the level of the Atlantic Ocean. Presently the Sicilian land bridge submerged, creating one sea of the Mediterranean and connecting it with the Atlantic Ocean. This cataclysm of nature flooded scores of human settlements and occasioned the greatest loss of life by flood in all the worldâ??s history.

Since both mention the submerging of the Sicilian land bridge, which presumably happened only once, they must be referring to the same time period, right? I'm not sure what the "climatic changes in Africa" were, though.

Well Bonita I'm sorry I ever bought it up. You win. I'll never disagree with you again.

best of luck to you.

I didn't realize this was a competition where people win and lose. We're all in this together. Clarity and truth benefits everyone. Confusion and conflict are the stimuli that motivate us to find truth. So are you saying this issue is no longer confusing to you or are you saying that you no longer want to engage in what you see as a conflict? Your comments aren't clear to me.

I don't believe in luck, but if you do, the best of it to you too.

med%20closed.jpg

on the map are marked, according to the mentioned picture source:

1. the Mediterranean coastline at the height of the last glaciation (Ice Age)

(the Gibraltar and the Sicilian land bridge are existent, obviously, and Cyprus is larger, almost connected to the Eastern coast of the Mediterranean)

2. Modern coastline and rivers

The first map is a detail from page 34:

MED50T2.GIF

picture source:

The Times Atlas of the World History, by Geoffrey Barraclough, Times Books Limited, Fifth impression 1981, pages 34 to 35.

Geoffrey Barraclough: He was Professor of Medieval History, University of Liverpool (1945–1956), Stevenson Research Professor, University of London (1956–1962), University of California (1965–1968) and Professor of History, Brandeis University (1968–1970 and 1972–1981). He was Chichele Professor of Modern History, University of Oxford from 1970 to 1973.

I discussed the scientific geology of the Mediterranean with Robert Sarmast for about ten years, and learned a lot. There also exists very interesting clay tablets by the Sumerians about these things.

I don't see the difficulties that amylewis pretended that there existed!

Do you nee further explanation about the pictures?

I might write more about these matters which have been discussed a lot earlier, also on this forum.

amylewis wrote ( Yesterday, 09:33 AM ):

So it would seem that the Mediterranean basin flooded during the reign of Adam and Eve in the first garden, but the UB makes no mention of this gigantic event whatsoever in the story of Eden and the Edenic regime and culture. I find this MOST curious.

I find this comment by amylewis MOST curious!

UB (823.3) 73:3.3 This Mediterranean peninsula had a salubrious climate and an equable temperature; this stabilized weather was due to the encircling mountains and to the fact that this area was virtually an island in an inland sea.

Compare to my previous map!

UB (828.1) 74:0.1 _ ADAM AND EVE arrived on Urantia, from the year A.D. 1934, 37,848 years ago.

So okay, WHEN exactly did this "gigantic event " (the Mediterranean basin flooded ) happen?

We might pinpoint this event to about 38 thousand years minus almost four thousand years, according to the UB text:

UB (826.6) 73:7.1 After the first garden was vacated by Adam, it was occupied variously by the Nodites, Cutites, and the Suntites. It later became the dwelling place of the northern Nodites who opposed co-operation with the Adamites. The peninsula had been overrun by these lower-grade Nodites for almost four thousand years after Adam left the Garden when, in connection with the violent activity of the surrounding volcanoes and the submergence of the Sicilian land bridge to Africa, the eastern floor of the Mediterranean Sea sank, carrying down beneath the waters the whole of the Edenic peninsula. Concomitant with this vast submergence the coast line of the eastern Mediterranean was greatly elevated. And this was the end of the most beautiful natural creation that Urantia has ever harbored. The sinking was not sudden, several hundred years being required completely to submerge the entire peninsula.

So, the UB gives the time of the flooding of the Mediterranean basin quite precisely, (contrary to what amylewis stated):

the Mediterranean basin flooded about 34 thousand years ago!

Edited by HSTa

Well, let's see. There's this:

I'm not sure what the "climatic changes in Africa" were, though.

The climatic changes in Sahara are also a fascinating research subjects. They are described both by the UB and numerous scientific sources, theories and archaeological investigations. I’m giving only some short examples here:

Urantia Book:

UB (702.1) 61:7.17 The ice age is the last completed geologic period, the so-called Pleistocene, over two million years in length.

35,000 years ago marks the termination of the great ice age excepting in the polar regions of the planet. This date is also significant in that it approximates the arrival of a Material Son and Daughter and the beginning of the Adamic dispensation, roughly corresponding to the beginning of the Holocene or postglacial period.

This narrative, extending from the rise of mammalian life to the retreat of the ice and on down to historic times, covers a span of almost fifty million years. This is the last — the current — geologic period and is known to your researchers as the Cenozoic or recent-times era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_icesheet_hg.png

^ Northern hemisphere glaciation during the last ice ages. The set up of 3 to 4 km thick ice sheets caused a sea level lowering of about 120 m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

2. Climatic and Geologic Changes:

UB (890.5) 80:2.1 The early expansion of the violet race into Europe was cut short by certain rather sudden climatic and geologic changes. With the retreat of the northern ice fields the water-laden winds from the west shifted to the north, gradually turning the great open pasture regions of Sahara into a barren desert. This drought dispersed the smaller-statured brunets, dark-eyed but long-headed dwellers of the great Sahara plateau.

Climate:

The climate of the Sahara has undergone enormous variation between wet and dry over the last few hundred thousand years.[11] During the last glacial period, the Sahara was even bigger than it is today, extending south beyond its current boundaries.[12] The end of the glacial period brought more rain to the Sahara, from about 8000 BC to 6000 BC, perhaps because of low pressure areas over the collapsing ice sheets to the north.[13]

Once the ice sheets were gone, northern Sahara dried out. In the southern Sahara though, the drying trend was soon counteracted by the monsoon, which brought rain further north than it does today. The monsoon season is caused by heating of air over the land during summer. The hot air rises and pulls in cool, wet air from the ocean, which causes rain. Thus, though it seems counterintuitive, the Sahara was wetter when it received more insolation in the summer. This was caused by a stronger tilt in Earth's axis of orbit than today, and perihelion occurred at the end of July around 7000 BC.[14]

By around 3400 BC, the monsoon retreated south to approximately where it is today,[15] leading to the gradual desertification of the Sahara.[16] The Sahara is now as dry as it was about 13,000 years ago.[11] These conditions are responsible for what has been called the Sahara pump theory.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara