Urantia Book Forum, conversations with other readers
Guest rich.sachs

9. The Midway Creatures

I once had an experience of a somewhat similar sort. I was 20 years old, living alone in London. I was broke, and lonely. One night, I was out wandering around. It was late enough that there wasn't much traffic. I stepped off a curb into Portobello Road. Even though I'd been in London for months at that point, I failed to look the right way, and a black taxi came zooming by from the other direction. I felt as if someone jerked me back, and the cab missed me by inches. I then heard a male voice clearly say "That was a warning." It was clear enough that I immediately looked around to see who had said it, but there was nobody anywhere in sight. Interestingly, the voice had a neutral American accent. I never made much of this incident, but I never forgot it either. I've always just assumed that I hallucinated the voice, in response to the stress of the near miss.

Assuming a midwayer did intervene on your behalf, it sounds as though you might be a person of destiny based upon the following quote:

123.4.7 Material accidents, commonplace occurrences of a physical nature, are not arbitrarily interfered with by celestial personalities. Under ordinary circumstances only midway creatures can intervene in material conditions to safeguard the persons of men and women of destiny, and even in special situations these beings can so act only in obedience to the specific mandates of their superiors.

I've heard that male voice many times, and I know others who have as well. It's usually a short, simple, yet meaning packed statement said in a tone of authority that makes your mind spring to attention as if spoken to by a person with very important information to impart. For many, many years I would periodically be awakened by an authoritative, male voice speaking my name very loudly. I would always sit bolt upright in bed and look around for the person I was sure was there. Each time there was a reason why I had to wake up immediately. It was creepy. It was always the same voice, spoken with the same inflection of urgency that hits you right in the solar plexus. I've been grateful for it, frankly. I have no idea if it is really just my subconscious being activated or something else, but I've always wondered why it wouldn't be my own voice if it was my subconscious. Why is it a strange male voice that seems to come from outside of me? I've spent years trying to figure out who that voice was. It's led me down many an awkward path trying to explore the options.

Well, it's pretty interesting. In the first case, the most dreamlike elements are your silent yell and out-of-body perspective. But I can't account for your accurate recollection of whatever the guys were saying in the basement.

Indeed, even in the first case, one has to wonder why he disappeared and didn't continue waiting for you, or in some other way assure you that he was real. Indeed, I'd have to say that it seems irresponsible to appear, say "I've been waiting for you", which suggests that he has a message or some other important reason to be there, and then disappear. So, these two cases set off my skeptical alarms.

Why would a midwayer tell me that he's been waiting for me? I have a theory. Everything concerning that event is open to skepticism. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that it really happened or suggest that it is proof that midwayers exist. It most definitely could be a fabrication on my part; but I put it out there for analysis for anyone interested.

The out-of-body experience is a poorly understood phenomenon. I've only had a few such experiences and they were always during sleep. I've never tried to have an OOB experience or even desired to have one happen, so it is doubtful that such a thing can be a wish fulfillment by my subconscious. The eerie thing about it is that I was fully conscious, so what part of my mind was walking about the house? The more I think about it, the more I believe that it was my soul. The soul is morontial; it cannot function on the material level, but it can observe. The soul never sleeps, as far as I know. The midwayers are, more or less, low level morontial beings who also do not sleep. The midwayers cannot be seen with mortal eyes, but they can be seen with "spiritual eyes", which would be the eyes of the soul.

This brings into question why I would be conscious of my soul at that time and not other times during sleep. It is my guess that occasionally the personality accompanies the soul. The personality is responsible for self-consciousness and when the self has transferred the seat of identity to the soul, a level of soul-consciousness develops which is capable of discerning the supermaterial (morontial).

As the soul of joint mind and Adjuster creation becomes increasingly existent, there also evolves a new phase of
soul consciousness which is capable of experiencing the presence, and of recognizing the spirit leadings and other supermaterial activities, of the Mystery Monitors
. (66:01)

TUB gives us accounts of descriptions of the mansion worlds by Paul and explains that it was an experience that occurred when the Adjuster became detached during sleep. In order for Paul to have been conscious of this event, his personality, identified with his soul, must have accompanied the Adjuster. The soul is capable of functioning on the morontia level and consciousness of the experience of the morontia level is determined by whether or not the mind has reached soul consciousness and the personality has transferred its seat of identity to the soul. There is also a point (the first jubilee) where the soul becomes aware of and identifies with the Adjuster. I believe that Paul's "unusual state" was an OOB, possibly not unlike my own.

p553:04 When the apostle spoke of being "caught up to the third heaven," he referred to that experience in which his
Adjuster was detached during sleep
and in this unusual state made a projection to the third of the seven mansion worlds.

48:6.2 You should understand that the morontia life of an ascending mortal is really initiated on the inhabited worlds at the conception of the soul, at that moment when the creature mind of moral status is indwelt by the spirit Adjuster. And from that moment on, the
mortal soul has potential capacity for supermortal function, even for recognition on the higher levels of the morontia spheres of the local universe

112.5.4 But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of
transferring its seat of identity from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system
which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation.

111.3.2 During the life in the flesh the evolving soul is enabled to reinforce the supermaterial decisions of the mortal mind.
The soul, being supermaterial, does not of itself function on the material level of human experience. Neither can this subspiritual soul, without the collaboration of some spirit of Deity, such as the Adjuster, function above the morontia level.
Neither does the soul make final decisions until death or translation divorces it from material association with the mortal mind except when and as this material mind delegates such authority freely and willingly to such a morontia soul of associated function. During life the mortal will, the personality power of decision-choice, is resident in the material mind circuits;
as terrestrial mortal growth proceeds, this self, with its priceless powers of choice, becomes increasingly identified with the emerging morontia-soul entity
; after death and following the mansion world resurrection, the human personality is completely identified with the morontia self. The soul is thus the embryo of the future morontia vehicle of personality identity.

111.3.4 Both the human mind and the divine Adjuster are conscious of the presence and differential nature of the evolving soul — the Adjuster fully, the mind partially.
The soul becomes increasingly conscious of both the mind and the Adjuster as associated identities, proportional to its own evolutionary growth.
The soul partakes of the qualities of both the human mind and the divine spirit but persistently evolves toward augmentation of spirit control and divine dominance through the fostering of a mind function whose meanings seek to co-ordinate with true spirit value.

Also, when the Adjuster becomes detached during sleep, midwayers seem to be involved as guardians. Perhaps my Adjuster was about to detach from my personality, but my personality chose to accompany him for some reason, which is why the whole thing was aborted and I had to wake up. The midwayer may have been simply waiting to guard me while my Adjuster was about to go out on business. Just a guess. I've tended to avoid this interpretation though because it would mean that I am a member of the reserve corps which I think is a pretty haughty assumption to make, especially since I have absolutely no worthwhile talents to offer such a group.

77.7.5  On no world can evil spirits possess any mortal mind subsequent to the life of a Paradise bestowal Son. But before the days of Christ Michael on Urantia — before the universal coming of the Thought Adjusters and the pouring out of the Master’s spirit upon all flesh — these rebel midwayers were actually able to influence the minds of certain inferior mortals and somewhat to control their actions. This was accomplished in much the same way as the loyal
midway creatures function when they serve as efficient contact guardians of the human minds of the Urantia reserve corps of destiny at those times when the Adjuster is, in effect, detached from the personality during a season of contact with superhuman intelligences.

Your theory of "soul excursion" is interesting, and consistent with the fairly universal accounts of OOBEs, particularly in spiritually mature people. I experienced things of this sort as a child--seeming to float up out of my bed and downstairs. Spiritual maturity is not really plausible in a child, however, and certainly not plausible in relation to me. I assume these were just dreams. Similarly, I can't discern anything about myself that hints at "destiny", so I'm more inclined to conclude that I hallucinated that voice, many years ago. But there are stories out there that aren't so easily accounted for. Yours may be of that sort. Reports of "bilocation" of people like Padre Pio, Yogananda, and so on, may be linked to this "soul excursion" effect.

I wish the UB contained a lot more detailed information about various religious/spiritual phenomena of this sort.

Todd

I wish the UB contained a lot more detailed information about various religious/spiritual phenomena of this sort.

I believe that they do give us a fair amount of detailed information concerning this type of phenomena, but it is spread throughout the book which requires the reader to connect the dots. After all, the presentation of the text itself was through paranormal means, which the authors freely admit. If one accepts that premise, then one must also accept the idea that paranormal spiritual phenomena are a possibility. The problem, of course, comes from the unfettered human imagination which is guaranteed to create such phenomena, legitimate or otherwise. If there is anything that I would wish for, it would be a way to know with certainty which phenomena are true and which ones are not.

TUB tells us that many of our prophets have had such experiences and thereby seem to legitimize them. It also seems to me that there was a time in our history when such experiences were accepted as real. Because of modern science, however, we are more likely to be suspicious of all such phenomena, and rightly so. I think it embarrasses people to talk about such things and so we keep them secret or make excuses for them. This may appear to be healthy and balanced, but I think we lose something by denying the reality of some personal religious experiences.

102.7.6 The God-knowing individual is not one who is blind to the difficulties or unmindful of the obstacles which stand in the way of finding God in the maze of superstition, tradition, and materialistic tendencies of modern times. He has encountered all these deterrents and triumphed over them, surmounted them by living faith, and attained the highlands of spiritual experience in spite of them.
But it is true that many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God.
It requires no great depth of intellect to pick flaws, ask questions, or raise objections. But it does require brilliance of mind to answer these questions and solve these difficulties; faith certainty is the greatest technique for dealing with all such superficial contentions.

TUB has much to say about the unconscious mind, which includes both the subconscious and the superconscious levels of the unconscious. I'm convinced that if we accept that our conscious minds are influenced by the subconscious, then we have to also accept that our conscious minds are also influenced by the superconscious; but unfortunately, we are poorly informed on how to recognize either.

If there is anything that I would wish for, it would be a way to know with certainty which phenomena are true and which ones are not.

Exactly. One wonders if there would have been more of that sort of material if the Forum members had asked more questions about it.

For example, anyone who has read Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi has encountered a lot of material about phenomena that are not simply weird but paranormal in a strikingly spiritual way. What are we to make of such material? As you say, the UB provides clues, but I would like to know more. It's an area where guidance would be very helpful.

Todd

From my personal experience I offer the following information regarding Midwayers:

1. Most Secondary Midwayers are assigned to human beings who have Self-Acting or Supreme Thought Adjusters. Also most of these are connected with the Reserve Corps of Destiny.

2.Midwayers act as per direction from the Thought Adjusters

3. When an indwelling Thought Adjuster needs to convey a concept, idea, counsel or information to the individual human being mind; but has difficulty doing so from the inner levels, then the Thought Adjuster uses the mind of the Midwayer as a mirror to bounce/reflect the message or concept to the surface of the human mind. At times of great importance, the Midwayer can and will appear in human form, visible to the human subject, and convey the message in that manner. All of this is performed at the direction of the Thought Adjuster

1. Most Secondary Midwayers are assigned to human beings who have Self-Acting or Supreme Thought Adjusters. Also most of these are connected with the Reserve Corps of Destiny.

2.Midwayers act as per direction from the Thought Adjusters

3. When an indwelling Thought Adjuster needs to convey a concept, idea, counsel or information to the individual human being mind; but has difficulty doing so from the inner levels, then the Thought Adjuster uses the mind of the Midwayer as a mirror to bounce/reflect the message or concept to the surface of the human mind. At times of great importance, the Midwayer can and will appear in human form, visible to the human subject, and convey the message in that manner. All of this is performed at the direction of the Thought Adjuster

Hello menno, all,

The narrative of the origin, nature and function of the midwayers of Urantia is spelled out for us in PAPER 77. One of their functions is to record our planetary history. In fact we're told they are the planetary history ". . . from the time of the arrival of the Planetary Prince to the age of settled light and life, [they] formulate the pageants and design the portrayals of planetary history for the exhibits of the planets on the system headquarters worlds." (P. 425)

The midway culture, being the product of an immortal planetary citizenry, is relatively immune to those temporal vicissitudes which beset human civilization. The generations of men forget; the corps of midwayers remembers, and that memory is the treasure house of the traditions of your inhabited world. Thus does the culture of a planet remain ever present on that planet, and in proper circumstances such treasured memories of past events are made available, even as the story of the life and teachings of Jesus has been given by the midwayers of Urantia to their cousins in the flesh.
P. 866 - §8

In the time of the Planetary Prince, ". . . [t]hese creatures constituted the intelligence corps of the Prince's administration. They ranged far and wide, studying and observing the world races and rendering other invaluable services to the Prince and his staff in the work of influencing human society remote from the planetary headquarters." P. 856 - §2

In the time of Adamson and Ratta the midwayers kept them informed about the welfare of their people.

Every seven years he and Ratta journeyed south to the second garden, and meanwhile the midwayers kept him informed regarding the welfare of his people. During Adamson's life they did great service in upbuilding a new and independent world center for truth and righteousness.
P. 862 - §1

This paragraph informs us of the chief work today of the midwayers:

Their chief work today is that of unperceived personal-liaison associates of those men and women who constitute the planetary reserve corps of destiny. It was the work of this secondary group, ably seconded by certain of the primary corps, that brought about the co-ordination of personalities and circumstances on Urantia which finally induced the planetary celestial supervisors to initiate those petitions that resulted in the granting of the mandates making possible the series of revelations of which this presentation is a part. But it should be made clear that the midway creatures are not involved in the sordid performances taking place under the general designation of "spiritualism." The midwayers at present on Urantia, all of whom are of honorable standing, are not connected with the phenomena of so-called "mediumship"; and they do not, ordinarily, permit humans to witness their sometimes necessary physical activities or other contacts with the material world, as they are perceived by human senses.
P. 865 - §6

The loyal corps of midwayers, the United Midwayers of Urantia, ". . . are at present governed alternately by the senior member of each order. This regime has obtained since their amalgamation into one group shortly after Pentecost. ( P.864 - §2) Along with the angels (seraphim and associated cherubim), the midwayers execute the mandates of the resident governor general and all of his associates and subordinates.

Seraphim and their associated cherubim have much to do with the details of the superhuman government of a planet, especially of worlds which have been isolated by rebellion. The angels, ably assisted by the midwayers, function on Urantia as the actual supermaterial ministers who execute the mandates of the resident governor general and all his associates and subordinates. Seraphim as a class are occupied with many assignments other than those of personal and group guardianship.
P. 1250 - §3

As to who is the current resident governor general, we do not know.

Every one hundred years of Urantia time, the Jerusem corps of twenty-four planetary supervisors designate one of their number to sojourn on your world to act as their executive representative, as resident governor general. During the times of the preparation of these narratives this executive officer was changed, the nineteenth so to serve being succeeded by the twentieth. The name of the current planetary supervisor is withheld from you only because mortal man is so prone to venerate, even to deify, his extraordinary compatriots and superhuman superiors.
P.1252 - §5

In my study of the UB text I am unable to verify your assertion about the role of the Thought Adjuster in directing a midwayer:

When an indwelling Thought Adjuster needs to convey a concept, idea, counsel or information to the individual human being mind; but has difficulty doing so from the inner levels, then the Thought Adjuster uses the mind of the Midwayer as a mirror to bounce/reflect the message or concept to the surface of the human mind. At times of great importance, the Midwayer can and will appear in human form, visible to the human subject, and convey the message in that manner. All of this is performed at the direction of the Thought Adjuster

Are you able to show us UB text to confirm what you say? Thanks so much.

All the best,

Meredith

Hello Meredith and all

Let me begin with ; Paper 107 " Origin and Nature of Thought Adjusters" beginning of the first para

"Although the Universal Father is personally resident on Paradise, at the very center of the universes, he is also actually present on the worlds of space in the minds of his countless children of time, for he indwells them as the Mystery Monitors..."

So in essence we have the Thought Adjusters being directly connected with the Universal Father. Therefore if the Thought Adjusters communicate to a midwayer who is Loyal to the Will of the Father ( as the United Midwayers are ) This would supersede the mandates of the resident governor general, etc who is also carrying out duties as per the Will of The Father

Page 865 point 3 Contact Personalities

" In the contacts made with mortal beings of the material worlds, such as the subjects through which these communications were transmitted, the midway creatures are always employed. They are an essential factor in such liasons of the spiritual and material levels."

Page 865 5th para

" Their chief work today is that of unperceived personal-liaison associates of those men and women who constitute the planetary reserve corps of destiny."

Page1258 1st para

" On many worlds the better adapted secondary midway creatures are able to attain varying degrees of contact with the Thought Adjusters of certain favorably constituted mortals through their skillful penetration of the minds of the latters' indwelling

9th line down " The men and women of the reserve corps of destiny thus have various degrees of contact with their Adjusters through the intervening ministry of the midway creatures "

As noted in my first post, on the subject of Midwayers; The Self-Acting Thought Adjusters are at the heart of the actions, contacts and communications concerning midwayers and certain mortal beings. The midwayers do not initiate these actions, etc..

So in essence we have the Thought Adjusters being directly connected with the Universal Father. Therefore if the Thought Adjusters communicate to a midwayer who is Loyal to the Will of the Father ( as the United Midwayers are ) This would supersede the mandates of the resident governor general, etc who is also carrying out duties as per the Will of The Father

Hi menno, all,

I appreciate your efforts to understand these things and it caused me to look deeper into this matter as well. There certainly is more to it than meets the eye.

The gap between the material and spiritual worlds is perfectly bridged by the serial association of mortal man, secondary midwayer, primary midwayer, morontia cherubim, mid-phase cherubim, and seraphim. In the personal experience of an individual mortal these diverse levels are undoubtedly more or less unified and made personally meaningful by the unobserved and mysterious operations of the divine Thought Adjuster.

On normal worlds the primary midwayers maintain their service as the intelligence corps and as celestial entertainers in behalf of the Planetary Prince, while the secondary ministers continue their co-operation with the Adamic regime of furthering the cause of progressive planetary civilization. In case of the defection of the Planetary Prince and the failure of the Material Son, as occurred on Urantia, the midway creatures become the wards of the System Sovereign and serve under the directing guidance of the acting custodian of the planet. But on only three other worlds in Satania do these beings function as one group under unified leadership as do the united midway ministers of Urantia.

The planetary work of both primary and secondary midwayers is varied and diverse on the numerous individual worlds of a universe, but on the normal and average planets their activities are very different from the duties which occupy their time on isolated spheres, such as Urantia.
P.425 - §1 - §3

The revelators talk about “normal” worlds and Urantia has suffered the miscarriage of the divine plan of world growth and racial development. Our world is not typical or average. Our planetary government is not typical.

But it is true that you can have, at best, only a meager idea of an ideal planetary government. Since the early times of the Planetary Prince, Urantia has suffered from the miscarriage of the divine plan of world growth and racial development. The loyal inhabited worlds of Satania are not governed as is Urantia. Nevertheless, compared with the other isolated worlds, your planetary governments have not been so inferior; only one or two worlds may be said to be worse, and a few may be slightly better, but the majority are on a plane of equality with you.
P.1258 - §7

No one in the local universe seems to know when the unsettled status of the planetary administration will terminate. The Nebadon Melchizedeks are inclined to the opinion that little change will occur in the planetary government and administration until Michael's second personal arrival on Urantia. Undoubtedly at this time, if not before, sweeping changes will be effected in planetary management. But as to the nature of such modifications of world administration, no one seems to be able even to conjecture. There is no precedent for such an episode in all the history of the inhabited worlds of the universe of Nebadon. Among the many things difficult to understand concerning the future government of Urantia, a prominent one is the location on the planet of a circuit and divisional headquarters of the archangels.
P.1259 - §1

Perhaps a note about the reserve corps of destiny is in order.

The reserve corps of destiny consists of living men and women who have been admitted to the special service of the superhuman administration of world affairs. This corps is made up of the men and women of each generation who are chosen by the spirit directors of the realm to assist in the conduct of the ministry of mercy and wisdom to the children of time on the evolutionary worlds. It is the general practice in the conduct of the affairs of the ascension plans to begin this liaison utilization of mortal will creatures immediately they are competent and trustworthy to assume such responsibilities. Accordingly, as soon as men and women appear on the stage of temporal action with sufficient mental capacity, adequate moral status, and requisite spirituality, they are quickly assigned to the appropriate celestial group of planetary personalities as human liaisons, mortal assistants.

When human beings are chosen as protectors of planetary destiny, when they become pivotal individuals in the plans which the world administrators are prosecuting, at that time the planetary chief of seraphim confirms their temporal attachment to the seraphic corps and appoints personal destiny guardians to serve with these mortal reservists. All reservists have self-conscious Adjusters, and most of them function in the higher cosmic circles of intellectual achievement and spiritual attainment. Mortals of the realm are chosen for service in the reserve corps of destiny on the inhabited worlds because of:

1. Special capacity for being secretly rehearsed for numerous possible emergency missions in the conduct of various activities of world affairs.

2. Wholehearted dedication to some special social, economic, political, spiritual, or other cause, coupled with willingness to serve without human recognition and rewards.

3. The possession of a Thought Adjuster of extraordinary versatility and probable pre-Urantia experience in coping with planetary difficulties and contending with impending world emergency situations.
P.1257 - §1 - §6

And further:

The reservists unconsciously act as conservators of essential planetary information
. Many times, upon the death of a reservist, a transfer of certain vital data from the mind of the dying reservist to a younger successor is made by a liaison of the two Thought Adjusters. The Adjusters undoubtedly function in many other ways unknown to us, in connection with these reserve corps.
P.1258 - §2

Rarely is the voice of the Adjuster heard during a lifetime.

While the voice of the Adjuster is ever within you, most of you will hear it seldom during a lifetime. Human beings below the third and second circles of attainment rarely hear the Adjuster's direct voice except in moments of supreme desire, in a supreme situation, and consequent upon a supreme decision.

During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny.
P. 1213 §4 - §5

I am of the opinion reservists are people in high places in world affairs or in key positions in the world, as they act as conservators of essential planetary information. They are willing to serve without human recognition or rewards. They are not looking for a name for themselves in the work they undertake. In my opinion there would be no fanfare involved in the work they do, as reservists.

All the best,

Meredith

During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny.
P. 1213 §4 - §5

Hi menno, all,

More thinking on my part. Here is a cautionary paragraph from PAPER 110, regarding Adjuster attunement and to my previous point that an Adjuster rarely can speak directly, as another being, to you. Balanced growth is necessary, Of Adjuster attunement and the psychic circles we’re informed:

The psychic circles are not exclusively intellectual, neither are they wholly morontial; they have to do with personality status, mind attainment, soul growth, and Adjuster attunement. The successful traversal of these levels demands the harmonious functioning of the entire personality, not merely of some one phase thereof. The growth of the parts does not equal the true maturation of the whole; the parts really grow in proportion to the expansion of the entire self--the whole self--material, intellectual, and spiritual.

When the development of the intellectual nature proceeds faster than that of the spiritual, such a situation renders communication with the Thought Adjuster both difficult and dangerous. Likewise, overspiritual development tends to produce a fanatical and perverted interpretation of the spirit leadings of the divine indweller. Lack of spiritual capacity makes it very difficult to transmit to such a material intellect the spiritual truths resident in the higher superconsciousness. It is to the mind of perfect poise, housed in a body of clean habits, stabilized neural energies, and balanced chemical function--when the physical, mental, and spiritual powers are in triune harmony of development--that a maximum of light and truth can be imparted with a minimum of temporal danger or risk to the real welfare of such a being. By such a balanced growth does man ascend the circles of planetary progression one by one, from the seventh to the first.
P. 1209 - §3 - §4

Here is the record of a message from the indwelling Adjuster to its mortal partner, a destiny reservist. I think a communication such a this is a rare occurrence. It is also likely to be private. I think it is sometimes careless to tell others about a private experience meant only for oneself.

During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: "And now, without injury or jeopardy to the subject of my solicitous devotion and without intent to overchastise or discourage, for me, make record of this my plea to him." Then followed a beautifully touching and appealing admonition. Among other things, the Adjuster pleaded "that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors--thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling.

Upon him I bestow the supreme devotion and affection of a divine spirit. And say further to my beloved subject that I will function with wisdom and power until the very end, until the last earth struggle is over; I will be true to my personality trust. And I exhort him to survival, not to disappoint me, not to deprive me of the reward of my patient and intense struggle. On the human will our achievement of personality depends. Circle by circle I have patiently ascended this human mind, and I have testimony that I am meeting the approval of the chief of my kind. Circle by circle I am passing on to judgment. I await with pleasure and without apprehension the roll call of destiny; I am prepared to submit all to the tribunals of the Ancients of Days."
P. 1213 - §5

All the best,

Meredith

Here is the record of a message from the indwelling Adjuster to its mortal partner, a destiny reservist. I think a communication such a this is a rare occurrence. It is also likely to be private. I think it is sometimes careless to tell others about a private experience meant only for oneself.

You're assuming that these experiences are meant only for oneself. If so, why does such a private message appear in the revelation for all to read? Then again, you might be right, it is not only careless but dangerous to share a private personal religious experience, but that is so only because of the ridicule and persecution it so often brings from those who do not understand it or fear it.

Let's look at Paul as an example. He shared his very personal religious experience. He announced that the resurrected Jesus appeared to him and spoke to him. He also claimed to have continued fellowship with Jesus throughout his life. Of course, this resulted in him being whipped, stoned, kicked, imprisoned and eventually crucified for sharing his private experiences.

Meredith, are you saying that Paul was careless and that he should have kept his experiences with Jesus a secret?

The God-knowing individual is not one who is blind to the difficulties or unmindful of the obstacles which stand in the way of finding God in the maze of superstition, tradition, and materialistic tendencies of modern times. He has encountered all these deterrents and triumphed over them, surmounted them by living faith, and attained the highlands of spiritual experience in spite of them.
But it is true that many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. It requires no great depth of intellect to pick flaws, ask questions, or raise objections
. But it does require brilliance of mind to answer these questions and solve these difficulties; faith certainty is the greatest technique for dealing with all such superficial contentions. p1126:06

You're assuming that these experiences are meant only for oneself. If so, why does such a private message appear in the revelation for all to read? Then again, you might be right, it is not only careless but dangerous to share a private personal religious experience, but that is so only because of the ridicule and persecution it so often brings from those who do not understand it or fear it.

Let's look at Paul as an example. He shared his very personal religious experience. He announced that the resurrected Jesus appeared to him and spoke to him. He also claimed to have continued fellowship with Jesus throughout his life. Of course, this resulted in him being whipped, stoned, kicked, imprisoned and eventually crucified for sharing his private experiences.

Meredith, are you saying that Paul was careless and that he should have kept his experiences with Jesus a secret?

Hi Bonita, all,

I'm glad you asked. This is a matter each one of us must decide. I think one's motive is involved. Paul's experience with Jesus and the change it had on his life forever after, personally, and with his teaching and preaching about Jesus is an excellent example of how such an experience led him to do great things. In this day and age I think some people want to have unusual experiences, as a sort of badge of so called spiritual honor in the vein of "I'm very spiritual, pay attention to me." I think this is a slippery slope and each person has to decide what is the import of such experiences. Is it private? Or is it for public comsumption?

I think there has to be a larger purpose for sharing these experiences. Only the individual can decide. Many of these experiences are for oneself only. And that's just the way I see it. Thanks for asking.

All the best,

Meredith

And yet Jesus did not attempt to silence the pseudo-spiritual persons he encountered. He did not encourage them either. As a parent, he knows that some of his children need to experiment with different and imaginative ways to find God; it is part of the evolutionary process. But I agree that there are a few people who know that they are fakes but continue to engage in their so-called spirituality for financial gain. That sort of immorality is another issue altogether.

159:2.1 Jesus went over to Gamala to visit John and those who worked with him at that place. That evening, after the session of questions and answers, John said to Jesus: "Master, yesterday I went over to Ashtaroth to see a man who was teaching in your name and even claiming to be able to cast out devils. Now this fellow had never been with us, neither does he follow after us; therefore I forbade him to do such things." Then said Jesus: "Forbid him not. Do you not perceive that this gospel of the kingdom shall presently be proclaimed in all the world? How can you expect that all who will believe the gospel shall be subject to your direction? Rejoice that already our teaching has begun to manifest itself beyond the bounds of our personal influence. Do you not see, John, that those who profess to do great works in my name must eventually support our cause? They certainly will not be quick to speak evil of me.
My son, in matters of this sort it would be better for you to reckon that he who is not against us is for us. In the generations to come many who are not wholly worthy will do many strange things in my name, but I will not forbid them.
I tell you that, even when a cup of cold water is given to a thirsty soul, the Father's messengers shall ever make record of such a service of love."

Jesus said that many will do strange things in his name but he will not forbid them. Neither should anyone else. Anyone who professes to be for God, regardless of its manifestation, is "for us". We should never stifle the spiritual imagination. That's my take on it. It doesn't mean that anyone has to believe what another person says. That is one's individual choice.

But going on. Anyone who has had a genuine experience with the living Jesus is forever changed and has a mission and an obligation to live that very truth, regardless of where it may lead. There should be thousands, even millions of Pauls in the world, but TUB tells us that it is regrettable that fewer and fewer persons are capable of hosting a self-acting Adjuster. This means that fewer and fewer persons are able to make it to the third psychic circle. And this further means that fewer and fewer persons are able to maintain their emotional stability in such situations resulting in fewer and fewer Pauls in the world. So, when a Paul does actually show up, we should tell him/her to keep it a secret? I don't think so.

I'll tell you a secret. Once you have an experience with the living Jesus, it is impossible to keep it a secret. It cannot be done. If you think you can keep it all to yourself, then it is not genuine. How these experiences are acted out in one's life very much depends on one's personality and its spiritual poise, or state of grace. Don't forget that Jesus comes to all who sincerely ask, he does not insist upon certain credentials first, like emotional stability or great spiritual wisdom. Those things get ironed out with time. The most important thing is to make contact, to grow in the ability to actually feel the presence of God at all times. It is the presence of the living God that irons out the personality wrinkles.

I think what you are concerned about is spiritual self-pride, a sort of arrogance that can go along with someone who has been able to solve their own spiritual problems, particularly by pseudo-spiritual methods. There is a temptation to think that one is special because of it. This usually happens in an unbalanced personality, one who is too intellectual or too spiritually oriented. I believe they call it the "superficial frothiness of the religious egotist". It's unfortunate.

p1222:1  111:6.2 The courage required to effect the conquest of nature and to transcend one's self is a courage that might succumb to the temptations of self-pride. The mortal who can transcend self might yield to the temptation to deify his own self-consciousness. The mortal dilemma consists in the double fact that man is in bondage to nature while at the same time he possesses a unique liberty—freedom of spiritual choice and action. On material levels man finds himself subservient to nature, while on spiritual levels he is triumphant over nature and over all things temporal and finite. Such a paradox is inseparable from temptation, potential evil, decisional errors, and when self becomes proud and arrogant, sin may evolve.

I confess that I always get answers to my prayers. Are the contents of my prayers and those answers suitable for public consumption? NO. I wouldn't think of sharing the answers I've received concerning my own soul growth and personality progression, partly because they are embarrassing and partly because it would be too difficult to explain the tangled interrelationships, emotions, and psychic errors that prompt such loving intervention. Frankly, the answers I get in my prayers would be absolutely meaningless to anyone but me. But I do not hesitate to say that I am absolutely certain about those answers because they have been acted out. They are true and real, and it matters not at all if anyone else knows the details but me. The fruits should be sufficient.

But, what I do want people to know is that it is possible to have such a deeply rewarding relationship with God and that such a relationship has vital implications in one's everyday life. Prayer is essential to life, just as essential as amino acids, oxygen, glucose, water and sunlight. And, if I should tell you that in the midst of some of those prayers Jesus occasionally shows up, well, who's to say it's a lie or a mental fabrication? Plenty will say that; and they will throw stones and spit. It's the nature of the beast. But that didn't stop Paul; it didn't stop Jesus; and it shouldn't stop anyone else who has the courage to withstand being laughed at and ridiculed. We are told to simply say, "How do you know that I do not know?"

101:3.4 Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.

Hi Bonita, Meredith and all

yes, that is a very valid point. Just when and where do we share, just who we are and what is happening in our lives. One must always be able to define what is "casting one's pearls before the swine" and when it is appropriate to open up one's heart and soul.

Here on this forum and on this current thread, it appears that some people, including myself, feel it is safe to open up on this subject.

It seems like a midwayer has made themselves known to Bonita. Probably on more than one occasion. I happen to believe that , that is what happened.

I myself have become aware of their presence . I will not go any further into how and what happened, on this open forum. Anyone wanting to hear details can contact me via the personal messenger.

Back to the topic at hand;

Using the information contained within the Urantia Book; let us review what we have discovered about midwayers and their relationship with human mortals here on Urantia.

As has been pointed out previously, On page 865 Under the heading of "United Midwayers" referring to the combined group of Primary and Secondary Midwayers here on Urantia We are told that (quote) " Their chief work today is that of unpreceived personal-liaison associates of those men and women who constitute the planetary reserve corps of destiny......"

So according to that piece of information; any person who becomes aware of having a midwayer working close by, and is aware of the knowledge contained within the UB; can take it that they are a member of the Reserve Corps of Destiny.

And, if that is so, you will become aware of the fact (again as per the UB page 1257 ) that you have a self-acting Thought Adjuster.

Question: Why would some people be made aware of this fact ?

Could it be that there is a pretty important reason for this to happen. It really believe that, this type of "awakening action" is not an accident.

There is a very good reason for this awareness to come forth. We mortals, just do not totally understand why this is happening and Why Now.

Why an I on this site on this thread at this time ? Is this a simple accident ?I have not been on this forum (viewing or posting) for quite a while. A few days ago, I received a message from a person who was asking me about something that I posted back in 2007. So I click onto this Forum and start looking for that posting; which , by the way, I don'y even recall posting. It was about Thought Adjusters. While I was searching for that posting, I came across this thread..which seems to be quite recent.

Back to the midwayers; When I had my first experience with midwayers, I didn't have a clue as to what was happening. But, what happened as a result of that encounter, I was led to find the UB this was back in 1970....and once I began to read it (note: I don't read books front to back...I open it up here, there and anywhere)...but, very quickly I felt guided to the section on Midwayers and to the section on the Resevre Corps of Destiny. In effect..the midwayers were identifying themselves

As regards the comments made in previous postings on this thread; that most if not all of the UB readers and students would have midwayers with them and be part of the Corps of Destiny.

I personally believe that the Reserve Corps of Destiny is not entirely made up of UB readers/students

See pages 1255 and 1256 and you will see 12 corps of master seraphim of planetary supervision functional on Urantia.

These 12 corps are directly related to the 12 reserve corps of destiny. (see page 1257 last 2 paragraphs)

Now when you read just what subjects or areas that the 12 groups/corps of master seraphim of planetary supervision are connected with; you will find that they cover a wide spectrum of humanity on Urantia. I myself, have met quite a few people, in my travels, who would appear to fit into many of these areas....and yet, they are not all readers of the UB. Not everyone, who I have shared the UB with , has resonated with the style and presentation of this book. My wife is one of these people. She is very aware, spiritually....way more advanced than I am, in certain areas, but her mind just can not tune in to the UB.

I am glad that it has been possible for individuals to personally (in prior postings on this thread) relate, by sharing examples of inter-actions with spirit level beings, which have been described within the UB.

Hi Bonita;

It seems like I was in the middle of writing my last post when your beautiful piece was posted. Sorry about that. If I had seen yours I probably would have stayed silent as you have a much better way with explaining things. Thank You

Hi Menno,

Don't ever be silent if you feel you have something worthwhile to contribute. It is one of my fears that there are readers who decide not to post because they think my posts may say the same thing they want to say but with more detail. At times I've thought about not posting any more just to see if more people would join in the discussions.

Now I only post when I'm specifically "moved" to say something. And once I start, I can't seem to shut-up. Oh well, but sincerely, what you said has your own flavor to it. I don't agree with all of it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't right though. I don't think that Midwayers only show themselves to reservists, otherwise I wouldn't have seen one (provided I really did).

I'm inclined to believe that I have a self-acting Adjuster because I believe I've made it to the third psychic circle. I could be entirely delusional about this, but nevertheless, it is my belief. That being said, I have experienced the arrest of mental currents in order to have factors of spiritual import related to me during times of contemplation. The quote below says that self-acting Adjusters can do this. It happens to me all the time, but these "factors of spiritual import" are important only to me, not the planet. The goal, as I see it, is for me to become the best person I can be and that in itself affects the overall welfare of the planet.

p1199:2 109:5.1 Supreme and self-acting Adjusters are often able to contribute factors of spiritual import to the human mind when it flows freely in the liberated but controlled channels of creative imagination. At such times, and sometimes during sleep, the Adjuster is able to arrest the mental currents, to stay the flow, and then to divert the idea procession; and all this is done in order to effect deep spiritual transformations in the higher recesses of the superconsciousness. Thus are the forces and energies of mind more fully adjusted to the key of the contactual tones of the spiritual level of the present and the future.

Many people think that Adjuster contact means that one is capable of having the equivalent of a telephone conversation with God at will. That's not how it works. At best it is a partial consciousness. It is more of an impress, on the soul. What do I mean by that? Sometimes it takes only one word for a wealth of understanding to be imparted to the soul, whereas it would take a dictionary full of words for the lower intellect to understand, and then, it would only be partial and open to wide intellectual and emotional interpretation. The impress on the soul results in knowing and knowing now. In actual practice there appears to be much overlap and interplay of this phenomenon until complete soul-consciousness takes place, a time when the multi-dimensional impress on the soul is the primary means of communication and the finite intellect is the secondary means. I believe that all the "craziness" comes from a partial consciousness by the lower mind, rather than the higher mind. The lower mind attempts to complete its understanding according to the world-view and thought-framework established by the conscious evolutionary mind, whereas the higher mind (soul) simply accepts the Adjuster's input as reality, potential or actual. Remember that the Adjuster is one's potential personality fulfillment . . . so, well . . . maybe I should just shut-up now . . .

109:5.2 It is sometimes possible to have the mind illuminated, to hear the divine voice that continually speaks within you, so that you may become partially conscious of the wisdom, truth, goodness, and beauty of the potential personality constantly indwelling you.

Hi menno, Bonita, all,

I always feel embarassed for someone who claims to be, for example, a member of the reserve corps of destiny, or who claims to be a guru with special knowledge, or who sees himself or herself as someone who is super-spiritual and wants everyone else to take notice. The audacity of it! But that's just my take on it, and my opinion. I like what the UB says about a practical test to gauge some types of religious experiences.

The practical test of all these strange religious experiences of mysticism, ecstasy, and inspiration is to observe whether these phenomena cause an individual:

1. To enjoy better and more complete physical health.

2. To function more efficiently and practically in his mental life.

3. More fully and joyfully to socialize his religious experience.

4. More completely to spiritualize his day-by-day living while faithfully discharging the commonplace duties of routine mortal existence.

5. To enhance his love for, and appreciation of, truth, beauty, and goodness.

6. To conserve currently recognized social, moral, ethical, and spiritual values.

7. To increase his spiritual insight--God-consciousness.
(P. 1000 - §6)

I realize the revelators are talking about particular and strange religious experiences, but I like like this test. For me, my question is: Is there good to be had from the experience, as to enlighten my fellows and help them to be closer to God? Or it is for myself only? I am expressing my own approach in deciding whether or not to share unusual experiences having to do with spiritual matters which are also personal.

All the best,

Meredith

Why do you suppose they included this in the list?

Why do you suppose they included this in the list?

Hi Bonita, all,

Socializing one's religious experience means (to me) that one joyfully be a lover of God in relation to everyone else one meets, going forward and forever. If one tends to be an isolated person, one can still joyfully be a lover of God. But the added element is that one socialize this love. God is the one who gets all the credit, as he is the one who makes possilbe the choice to follow Him who is his Son, and as well, he makes possilbe everything else under the sun, past, present and future.

Sharing one's religious experiences with others is always a matter of discretion, isn't it? I think so. Jesus told us to let our light shine:

"You are to let your light shine but do so with wisdom and discretion."
(P. 1692)

This is really a matter each person must figure out for himself or herself. My favorite point in the list I mentioned is number 7. Many of these experiences are for the individual. Again, this is my opinion.

7. To increase his spiritual insight--God-consciousness.

This is an especially good paragraph about Jesus from PAPER 100 RELIGION IN HUMAN EXPERIENCE - P.1094

But the Master was so reasonable, so approachable. He was so practical in all his ministry, while all his plans were characterized by such sanctified common sense. He was so free from all freakish, erratic, and eccentric tendencies. He was never capricious, whimsical, or hysterical. In all his teaching and in everything he did there was always an exquisite discrimination associated with an extraordinary sense of propriety.
P. 1101 - §7

So, this is my ideal, thanks to the revelators and God who made this revelation possible!

All the best,

Meredith

It's interesting that the "physical health" criterion is in the list, too.

Paramahansa Yogananda, who described many extraordinary seemingly spiritual phenomena in Autobiography of a Yogi, was diabetic. Should that cause me to be suspicious of the authenticity of his experiences?

It's certainly useful to me to know that some people experience answered prayers. That's not an experience I've had, and I have no idea what such a thing would even be like. There is a psychiatric condition called "thought insertion" where people report that they "have" thoughts that are not theirs, but somehow get into their minds from elsewhere. Maybe it's not a psychiatric condition at all, or not always one. I don't think any experience can be considered pathological if it uplifts and improves the person who has it.

Well . . . I have a few more questions based on everyone's response:

1. How and who determines what wisdom should be applied to socializing one's religious experience? What is the purpose of discretion? Why didn't Jesus teach us more about socializing religion given that socializing the personality is such a priority in the ascension scheme?

2. Does enjoying better and more complete physical health mean no illness whatsoever, including genetic illnesses? What power does the spirit have over the body?

3. Why is it so hard for people to believe that God answers prayers? My guess is that people simply do not know how to pray. Actually, I'm certain of that. But even Jesus couldn't teach people to pray. It is something that must come from inside. True prayer originates in the spirit. (Sounds like another thread to me)

Which leads me to my last comment concerning increase in spiritual insight. If spiritual insight is the same as God-consciousness, what is spiritual out-sight, or socialization of one's internal religious experience? TUB explains thusly:

170:3.8 It therefore is evident that the true and inner religion of the kingdom unfailingly and increasingly tends to manifest itself in practical avenues of social service. Jesus taught a living religion that impelled its believers to engage in the doing of loving service. But Jesus did not put ethics in the place of religion.
He taught religion as a cause and ethics as a result.

170:3.9 The righteousness of any act must be measured by the motive; the highest forms of good are therefore unconscious. Jesus was never concerned with morals or ethics as such.
He was wholly concerned with that inward and spiritual fellowship with God the Father which so certainly and directly manifests itself as outward and loving service for man. He taught that the religion of the kingdom is a genuine personal experience which
no man can contain within himself
; that the consciousness of being a member of the family of believers leads inevitably to the practice of the precepts of the family conduct, the service of one's brothers and sisters in the effort to enhance and enlarge the brotherhood.

170:3.10 The religion of the kingdom is personal, individual; the fruits, the results, are familial, social. Jesus never failed to exalt the sacredness of the individual as contrasted with the community. But he also recognized that man develops his character by unselfish service; that
he unfolds his moral nature in loving relations with his fellows

170:3.11 By teaching that the kingdom is within, by exalting the individual, Jesus struck the deathblow of the old society in that he ushered in the new dispensation of
true social righteousness
. This new order of society the world has little known because it has refused to practice the principles of the gospel of the kingdom of heaven. And when this kingdom of
spiritual pre-eminence
does come upon the earth, it will not be manifested in mere improved social and material conditions, but rather in the glories of those enhanced and enriched spiritual values which are characteristic of the approaching age of improved human relations and advancing spiritual attainments.

Two key things jump out at me. One, NO man can keep his genuine religious experiences within himself. Two, true social righteousness is practically unknown to us. So what's up with that? If true religious experience cannot be kept to one's self and only true individual religious experience can result in true social righteousness, does that mean that genuine personal religious experience is practically unknown to us? Well, if so few know how to pray, and fewer and fewer people can host a self-acting Adjuster, I'm guessing that this is true. Scary.

Well . . . I have a few more questions based on everyone's response:

1. How and who determines what wisdom should be applied to socializing one's religious experience? What is the purpose of discretion? Why didn't Jesus teach us more about socializing religion given that socializing the personality is such a priority in the ascension scheme?

One might also ask why Jesus instructed people to "tell no man" of (some of) his deeds, at least ten times in the UB.

Personally, I think that if people did not share their religious experiences with those who don't have similar ones, the latter would remain in utter darkness about them, and I don't think that's a good thing.

2. Does enjoying better and more complete physical health mean no illness whatsoever, including genetic illnesses? What power does the spirit have over the body?

Good question. We may infer that the spirit has some power over the body, or that particular item would not have been included. On the other hand, type 2 diabetes is a degenerative condition, one of the "diseases of civilization". I suppose the power of the spirit over the body wouldn't be enough to overcome the effects of poor diet, sedentism, etc.

3. Why is it so hard for people to believe that God answers prayers? My guess is that people simply do not know how to pray. Actually, I'm certain of that. But even Jesus couldn't teach people to pray. It is something that must come from inside. True prayer originates in the spirit. (Sounds like another thread to me)

One reason is that there are plenty of people who announce God's answers to their prayers, and these answers are so fatuous that they undermine the very idea of answered prayer. Another reason is, well, failure. It may well be that people don't know how to pray, but they may also not know that they don't know how.

Two key things jump out at me. One, NO man can keep his genuine religious experiences within himself. Two, true social righteousness is practically unknown to us. So what's up with that? If true religious experience cannot be kept to one's self and only true individual religious experience can result in true social righteousness, does that mean that genuine personal religious experience is practically unknown to us? Well, if so few know how to pray, and fewer and fewer people can host a self-acting Adjuster, I'm guessing that this is true. Scary.

This all sounds about right to me.

Hi Bonita, Todd, all,

Thanks for asking these questions! A couple of things came to my mind from the text.

Then went the Master over to Nathaniel. As Nathaniel stood up, Jesus bade him be seated and, sitting down by his side, said: "Nathaniel, you have learned to live above prejudice and to practice increased tolerance since you became my apostle. But there is much more for you to learn. You have been a blessing to your fellows in that they have always been admonished by your consistent sincerity. When I have gone, it may be that your frankness will interfere with your getting along well with your brethren, both old and new.
You should learn that the expression of even a good thought must be modulated in accordance with the intellectual status and spiritual development of the hearer. Sincerity is most serviceable in the work of the kingdom when it is wedded to discretion
P. 1960 - §2

Said Jesus,
"In the matter of sickness and health, you should know that these bodily states are the result of material causes; health is not the smile of heaven, neither is affliction the frown of God."
P. 1831 - §1

Health, sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty, and goodness as they are blended in human experience. Such levels of efficient living come about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit systems.
P. 43 - §4

“The earnest and longing repetition of any petition, when such a prayer is the sincere expression of a child of God and is uttered in faith, no matter how ill-advised or impossible of direct answer, never fails to expand the soul's capacity for spiritual receptivity.”
P. 1621 - §1

The sincerity of any prayer is the assurance of its being heard; the spiritual wisdom and universe consistency of any petition is the determiner of the time, manner, and degree of the answer. A wise father does not
literally
answer the foolish prayers of his ignorant and inexperienced children, albeit the children may derive much pleasure and real soul satisfaction from the making of such absurd petitions.

When you have become wholly dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven, the answer to all your petitions will be forthcoming because your prayers will be in full accordance with the Father's will, and the Father's will is ever manifest throughout his vast universe. What the true son desires and the infinite Father wills IS. Such a prayer cannot remain unanswered, and no other sort of petition can possibly be fully answered.
P. 1639 - §1 - §2

The religion of Jesus impels us to do loving service. Loving service is a fruit of the divine spirit. The love of God experienced on the inside impels one to spread this gift to everyone else, to share it. It is outward going, outbound from within. When this outbound love is received by another person, the other person feels it, senses it, knows it. This love is real and has no other purpose, in my opinion. It is an end in itself. But what it has is the potential to complete a circuit. One might call it “the loving service circuit,” as this love reaches out to embrace another person/s and sweep them into this spiritual circuit. People on our world are endowed with all the necessary and basic God-given wiring and receptors, so to speak, and the mental and spiritual equipment to log on to this, one of the many fruits of the divine spirit, if they so choose.

Stephen the Greek, Saul of Tarsus, the apostles and everyone else since Pentecost benefits from of the Spirit of Truth and this world influence has been with us a mere 2000 years. We are living in the postbestowal Son age, and this age can last for 10,000 to 100,000 years. No sense in worrying about our world, and it is pointless to be afraid. The teachings of Jesus are not going to fail.

The postbestowal Son age may extend from ten thousand to a hundred thousand years. There is no arbitrary time allotted to any of these dispensational eras. This is a time of great ethical and spiritual progress. Under the spiritual influence of these ages, human character undergoes tremendous transformations and experiences phenomenal development. It becomes possible to put the golden rule into practical operation. The teachings of Jesus are really applicable to a mortal world which has had the preliminary training of the prebestowal Sons with their dispensations of character ennoblement and culture augmentation.
P. 596 - §6

Be not discouraged; human evolution is still in progress, and the revelation of God to the world, in and through Jesus, shall not fail.
P. 2097 - §1

All the best

Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert

One might also ask why Jesus instructed people to "tell no man" of (some of) his deeds, at least ten times in the UB.

Yes it's true, Jesus did keep secrets. He learned at an early age not to share everything that was going on in his mind but that was because there was no one who could understand it. So, if there is hope that someone can understand it, I'm assuming it's okay to share. Jesus kept his traveling and teaching before his baptism a secret from his family because they would not understand and because he did not want to leave a legacy of hero/idol worship behind. And, he enjoined people to, "tell no man" as a way to take the emphasis off of his personal miracle working and place it on the Father's will instead. It was said with the intention to avoid the human temptation to worship the man and his deeds rather than the Father. Also, he often said not to tell anyone until after he had returned to the Father, which means he didn't want the miracle working to get in the way of the work of his bestowal mission.

So, should we, whenever we tell of our religious experiences, always remember to give God the credit so as to avoid giving the impression that we want attention for ourselves? I don't know. I take it for granted that people understand that I give credit to God; but perhaps, like Meredith, some people find it embarrassing because they first assume that I'm trying to draw attention to my spiritual accomplishments as some sort of badge of honor. I don't go around correcting people's opinions of me when they are untrue because I find that most of the time misunderstandings like that are because those people are projecting what's actually going on inside themselves, not what's really going on inside of me. There's no way to correct that, as far as I know. The choice then becomes whether to avoid the situation entirely, just ignore the nay sayers or find like-minded people to share with. I like the last one, but they are almost impossible to find.

Good question. We may infer that the spirit has some power over the body, or that particular item would not have been included. On the other hand, type 2 diabetes is a degenerative condition, one of the "diseases of civilization". I suppose the power of the spirit over the body wouldn't be enough to overcome the effects of poor diet, sedentism, etc.

The predisposition for type 2 diabetes is genetic. The disease appears when certain conditions which favor its genetic expression are supplied. Type 2 is nearly always inherited. As far as the spirit having power over the body, allow me to offer the following quotes for consideration and discussion:

2:7.11
Health, sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty, and goodness as they are blended in human experience.
Such levels of efficient living come about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit systems.

91:6.2
Prayer is not a technique for curing real and organic diseases, but it has contributed enormously to the enjoyment of abundant health and to the cure of numerous mental, emotional, and nervous ailments.
And even in actual bacterial disease, prayer has many times added to the efficacy of other remedial procedures. Prayer has turned many an irritable and complaining invalid into a paragon of patience and made him an inspiration to all other human sufferers.

100:4.3 But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of LOVE.
Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems.
Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

110:1.3 Although the divine indwellers are chiefly concerned with your spiritual preparation for the next stage of the never-ending existence, they are also deeply interested in your temporal welfare and in your real achievements on earth.
They are delighted to contribute to your health
, happiness, and true prosperity. They are not indifferent to your success in all matters of planetary advancement which are not inimical to your future life of eternal progress.

194:3.19 The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a
tonic for health
, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

65:6.2 There is original endowment of adaptation in living things and beings. In every living plant or animal cell, in every living organism—material or spiritual—there is an
insatiable craving for the attainment of ever-increasing perfection of environmental adjustment, organismal adaptation, and augmented life realization.
These interminable efforts of all living things evidence the existence within them of an innate striving for perfection.

111:6.5 When man wishes to modify physical reality, be it himself or his environment, he succeeds to the extent that he has discovered the ways and means of controlling matter and directing energy.
Unaided mind is impotent to influence anything material save its own physical mechanism, with which it is inescapably linked.
But through the intelligent use of the body mechanism, mind can create other mechanisms, even energy relationships and living relationships, by the utilization of which this mind can increasingly control and even dominate its physical level in the universe.

One reason is that there are plenty of people who announce God's answers to their prayers, and these answers are so fatuous that they undermine the very idea of answered prayer. Another reason is, well, failure. It may well be that people don't know how to pray, but they may also not know that they don't know how.

What do you mean by fatuous? Examples?

Most people pray with their intellect and their emotions. Most people can't tell the difference between prayer and magical thinking; they think God is their fairy god-mother. All I can say is that all my prayers get answered, every single one ever since I was a kid. The longest I had to wait for an answer was 7 years. However, what happened is that the answer was given to me but the time for the answer to come to fruition took 7 years. Since I knew the answer, I predicted the event would come and it eventually did, which freaked out some and caused others to say that it was wish fulfillment. But I know the truth about it. There was only one answer to the prayer and the conditions needed to be right for it to come to fulfillment. Now, I know that sounds fatuous, but it isn't.

168:4.5 2. When a prayer is apparently unanswered, the delay often betokens a better answer, although one which is for some good reason greatly delayed. When Jesus said that Lazarus's sickness was really not to the death, he had already been dead eleven hours. No sincere prayer is denied an answer except when the superior viewpoint of the spiritual world has devised a better answer, an answer which meets the petition of the spirit of man as contrasted with the prayer of the mere mind of man.

Likewise, at the risk of being accused of claiming to be spiritually superior, it is a fact that when you become wholeheartedly dedicated to doing God's will, your prayers are readily answered.

146:2.7 6. When you have become wholly dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven, the answer to all your petitions will be forthcoming because your prayers will be in full accordance with the Father's will, and the Father's will is ever manifest throughout his vast universe.
What the true son desires and the infinite Father wills IS
. Such a prayer cannot remain unanswered, and no other sort of petition can possibly be fully answered.

So, should we, whenever we tell of our religious experiences, always remember to give God the credit so as to avoid giving the impression that we want attention for ourselves? I don't know. I take it for granted that people understand that I give credit to God; but perhaps, like Meredith, some people find it embarrassing because they first assume that I'm trying to draw attention to my spiritual accomplishments as some sort of badge of honor. I don't go around correcting people's opinions of me when they are untrue because I find that most of the time misunderstandings like that are because those people are projecting what's actually going on inside themselves, not what's really going on inside of me. There's no way to correct that, as far as I know. The choice then becomes whether to avoid the situation entirely, just ignore the nay sayers or find like-minded people to share with. I like the last one, but they are almost impossible to find.

I obviously can't speak from experience, but my sense of the matter is that the path of spiritual growth is lonely for those who are far enough along it to notice. I can't imagine that the density of "third circlers" is very high on this planet, to the extent that I have even a glimmer of what that's about.

What do you mean by fatuous? Examples?

Oh, I'm thinking of the time Oral Roberts was supposedly told by God that if he didn't raise $8 million he would "call him home." Remember that one? Call me small-minded if you like, but that sort of thing seems pretty fatuous to me.

Most people pray with their intellect and their emotions. Most people can't tell the difference between prayer and magical thinking; they think God is their fairy god-mother. All I can say is that all my prayers get answered, every single one ever since I was a kid. The longest I had to wait for an answer was 7 years. However, what happened is that the answer was given to me but the time for the answer to come to fruition took 7 years. Since I knew the answer, I predicted the event would come and it eventually did, which freaked out some and caused others to say that it was wish fulfillment. But I know the truth about it. There was only one answer to the prayer and the conditions needed to be right for it to come to fulfillment. Now, I know that sounds fatuous, but it isn't.

It doesn't sound fatuous to me. Obviously, I don't know the particulars, nor do I need to. I'm not saying that all apparent instances of answered prayer seem ridiculous to me, but some do. And I think this does affect the "reputation" of prayer, if you will.

Likewise, at the risk of being accused of claiming to be spiritually superior, it is a fact that when you become wholeheartedly dedicated to doing God's will, your prayers are readily answered.

Personally, I don't mind intimations of spiritual superiority. To offer a parallel, I'm an amateur musician. When I speak to a master musician, I certainly don't have a problem if he says things in a way that suggests that he is miles and miles ahead of me in musicianship. Anyway, getting back to prayer, when I've prayed I've only very rarely prayed in an "intercessory" way, i.e., praying for things to happen, etc. Obviously, however, I'm not wholeheartedly dedicated to doing God's will, since I struggle to sustain a belief in God at all. But there have been times in my life when I dedicated myself to at least trying to discover some sense of God's presence in prayer. It didn't happen for me.

I obviously can't speak from experience, but my sense of the matter is that the path of spiritual growth is lonely for those who are far enough along it to notice. I can't imagine that the density of "third circlers" is very high on this planet, to the extent that I have even a glimmer of what that's about.

That depends on your definition of lonely. A person truly devoted to God and deeply involved in a relationship with him can never be lonely. You always have the person who loves you the most right inside your mind, a constant, very close companion. Once you feel the presence of God, you just can't be really lonely. What I would say is that it is a strange way to live in the world when so few have a similar experience and many of those who do resort to fanatical extremes to express it. It makes one hungry for spirit in others and I'm coming to the realization that one of the keys to happiness is finding a way to connect with that spirit regardless of whether or not the other person is even aware he/she has a spirit. It is definitely an art form that I'm just recently beginning to learn. So . . . I'm saying loneliness is really not loneliness but craving for spirit communion with other personalities.

Oh, I'm thinking of the time Oral Roberts was supposedly told by God that if he didn't raise $8 million he would "call him home." Remember that one? Call me small-minded if you like, but that sort of thing seems pretty fatuous to me.

I definitely agree that if someone tells you to give them money or God will get angry and issue a punishment of some kind that it is definitely a bunch of baloney. God never gives an ultimatum to do this or that and if you don't something bad will happen. That's just ridiculous. Free will is honored above all things. Ridiculous. It doesn't pass the sniff test from the gitgo. There never was a real prayer involved in that fiasco.

So much of what people call prayer is immature longings. My ex claims to be agnostic. When I asked him how he came to that philosophy of living he related a story that happened when he was 6 yrs. old. Turns out there was a raffle of some sort for a go-cart that he really, really wanted. He claimed to have prayed and prayed and prayed and prayed. God clearly knew how badly he wanted to win that raffle and how much he really, really needed that go-cart, but he didn't get it. Therefore, God does not exist. He conceded that maybe God does exist but he definitely doesn't give a damn about people and their prayers. The man is almost 60 years old and still carries a grudge against God today for not giving him the go-cart when he was 6. Go figure. I still just shake my head in disbelief over that one.

Obviously, however, I'm not wholeheartedly dedicated to doing God's will, since I struggle to sustain a belief in God at all. But there have been times in my life when I dedicated myself to at least trying to discover some sense of God's presence in prayer. It didn't happen for me.

I'm sorry. I wish I could help, but it's not something that can be taught. I can pray for you though. And I can tell you about it and let you know that it's something worth seeking. Big time. I will say though that once you do discover God's presence, you will realize that he's been there the whole time and that you have been in contact without realizing it. It is going on in the niches of your higher mind even though you're not aware of it.

Listen, I begged God almost every minute of every day for over three years before I finally experienced his presence the first time. It was a life altering moment, but I realized then that he'd been there the whole time. It was one of those Damascus Road moments for me. I was 22 years old at the time and I've never looked back since. Life has been extremely difficult (extremely) but I feel as though I sailed through it with my best friend. NO DOUBT at all. It's definitely the peace which passes all understanding.

100:6.6 One of the most amazing earmarks of religious living is that dynamic and sublime peace, that peace which passes all human understanding, that cosmic poise which betokens the absence of all doubt and turmoil. Such levels of spiritual stability are immune to disappointment. Such religionists are like the Apostle Paul, who said: "I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else shall be able to separate us from the love of God."