• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

It has been an interesting crumbling of my health, these last few years. I spend so much more time in Hospitals and Doctor's offices than I would prefer. So, I was pondering the value of leaving a new copy of The Urantia Book in those places.

Should I? If no, why not? If yes, why?

Also, if yes, should I highlight certain portions that were inspiring to me, or should I leave a pristine copy?

What does the collecfted wisdom of you, my internet friends, have to teach me on this matter...?

I would like to be wise with the case of copies I just received, you see.

Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#2 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

It has been an interesting crumbling of my health, these last few years. I spend so much more time in Hospitals and Doctor's offices than I would prefer. So, I was pondering the value of leaving a new copy of The Urantia Book in those places.

Should I? If no, why not? If yes, why?

Also, if yes, should I highlight certain portions that were inspiring to me, or should I leave a pristine copy?

What does the collecfted wisdom of you, my internet friends, have to teach me on this matter...?

I would like to be wise with the case of copies I just received, you see.

I remember talking to a reader in N. California who told me how she found the book. She was walking to the entrance to a library and encountered a woman with several boxes of miscellaneous books she was planning to donate to the library. The woman invited her to take anything she wanted. Among other things she took the UB.

Another reader planned to leave books in laundromats. I don't know if he did.

Placing books in college and university libraries have taken place, but there may be a library protocol to follow. Books are placed in prisons and public libraries, and here again, there is a protocol to follow. Rick Warren knows about prison placement.

Another reader told me he found his book on a picnic table in the park! And there are many other interesting ways people find the book. If you think a doctor's office is a good place, go for it!

All the best,
Meredith

#3 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Thank you, Meredith!
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#4 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Urantia Foundation sells their "top of the line" book for PLACEMENT ONLY - $10.00. You must not resell it.

Call 773 525 3319
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#5 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:52 AM

Urantia Foundation sells their "top of the line" book for PLACEMENT ONLY - $10.00. You must not resell it.

Call 773 525 3319

Best of luck finding homes for books JR,

Your determination to serve in the face of "crumbling health" is worthy of respect, thank you.

UF recently published a three part plan, one part is to place 1000 books in "alternative libraries". Several types of places were listed as alternatives.

Goal One: Place The Urantia Book into 1,000 Alternative Libraries

For years readers have placed The Urantia Book in public libraries. Another library placement opportunity - the alternative library - remains untapped. Alternative libraries are those informal libraries in hotels, cruise ships, bed and breakfast inns, youth hostels, restaurants, truck stops,
hospital waiting rooms, nursing homes, churches, fraternity and sorority houses, and more. So next time you stay at, or pass by, an establishment that has a library, you might place a copy of The Urantia Book on their library shelf.

To make it easy and inexpensive for you to place books in libraries, we have created a system that allows you to buy books for $10 a copy, plus postage, if you agree to place them in libraries and not resell them. You can read about this program on Urantia Foundation's website:
http://www.urantia.o...lacement-policy

Urantia Foundation is committed to disseminating the teachings of The Urantia Book around the world. One way this may be accomplished is by donating free copies of the book to libraries and other places where new readers may discover it.

To date, thousands of books have been placed in public libraries around the world. For individuals and groups who want to participate in our library placement program, Urantia Foundation offers the following book sale terms:

English and Spanish hard cover books will sell for $10.00 each, up to 10 books at a time, plus shipping. Other translations will sell for $10.00 each, plus shipping, based on availability. Contact Urantia Foundation at 773-525-3319 or urantia@urantia.org for current information on translation availability.

We ask that you agree to use these books only for placement in libraries and similar environments, and that they not be used for personal or commercial purposes. Suggested placement settings include:

• College and university libraries;
  • Public libraries;
  • Religious libraries (seminaries, churches, ashrams, synagogues, etc.);
  • Hotel, youth hostel, cruise ship, and other libraries provided for travelers;
  • Hospital libraries;
  • Highly trafficked private libraries;
  • Coffee shops with “free book” shelves;
  • Waiting rooms and other places where people may be looking for something to read.

It is important to obtain permission from the librarian or shop owner before placing the book at a site. If permission is not received the book may be discarded.

In return for the discount we are offering on new books, we would appreciate your letting us know where you placed them. Any additional information that you consider helpful will be most welcomed. We will publish results of this program from time to time, and if you would like to write about your experiences, we will consider featuring your report in Urantia Foundation News Online or on our website.

Source: http://www.urantia.o...lacement-policy

#6 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Coincidental to your endeavors JR, there's this recent story published on Urantia Foundation's Newspage. A reader in the southwestern US offers some advice on seeding the text based in 5 years experience.

A Follow Up to Placing Urantia Books in Alternative Libraries

Date: Mon, 09/27/2010
Author: Aaron Rutan
By Aaron Rutan, Arizona, USA

Life in the kingdom is so great. The spread of this restatement of the gospel and the life and teachings of Jesus has become a passion of mine for the last five years. It has been a journey with ups and downs, excitement, adventure, and downright fun.

For anyone who is deciding to place books in alternative libraries, here are a few tips from a fellow reader:

Have a map of your area, or use your cars navigation device, and mark out all the places or targets where you want to place a book. Make it easy on yourself and choose targets near your place of work so its not too far out of the way. I work at a Veterans Affairs Hospital and have found that waiting rooms are great for placing a book because the people there are looking for something to read.

Take nothing personally. Set aside all your fears about whether the books will be read, about who is going to find them, or about who might see you doing it. JUST GET THE BOOKS OUT! Unreasoned fear is a master intellectual fraud practiced upon the evolving mortal soul. (556.4) 48:7.4. Remember, we have the greatest revelation to hit this planet since the Master himself was here, and we have the entire spiritual hierarchy helping. They just need our arms and legs. So try not to over think it. Just do it.

Enlist help. Be an active recruiter for the cause. Teamwork is the key to success in any long-term endeavor. So find someone to help you with this project. It took me two years to find another laborer for the fields, but if youre sincere in getting this revelation to the people, then with a little prayer and friendliness, the Sons celestial team will bring you a companion. Mine is a great guy named Shane Wittington, and he is twenty-three and an enthusiastic worker for the kingdom. He has been reading The Urantia Book for about eight months. First, I befriended Shane. Then I introduced him to the revelation. Next I talked him into studying at my house, and all the while I was steadily placing books. After four months, he told me he had given his book away to his cousins husband. I immediately gave him two more and said, Try to keep one for yourself this time. He promptly gave away another book to his stepfather. When he showed up to study, I asked him how he felt. Of course he was excited!

Stay positive. The weak indulge in resolutions, but the strong act. Life is but a days work do it well. The act is ours; the consequences Gods. (556.13) 48:7.13. Impatience is a spirit poison. (577.4) 48:7.20. So take your time, and in a couple of years you will be surprised how much you will have accomplished. You really do not have to talk to anybody about The Urantia Book when you do it this way. Remember that the sower was not an agronomist or a horticulturalist either. He threw his seed on rocky ground and on fertile soil. It is just our job to get the books out so other men and women can find their way to the truth. I had the greatest thing said to me by a man at work the other day when he said that his wife had found The Urantia Book in the waiting room, and they both started reading it. He went on to say that I was really going about it the right way because, if someone had come up to him and tried to tell him about it, he would have blown them off. But this way, a person could find it on their own and make up their mind without someone shoving it down their throat.

No pamphlets if you can help it. Most people will look at them briefly and then throw them away. Pamphlets just link The Urantia Book to other mainstream religious organizations which use tracts to browbeat potential kingdom believers. That leaves a bad taste in their mouths. Remember to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves.

Keep your eyes open. Whenever I travel anywhere, I am always on the lookout for new places to place books. This is something that really has not been pursued at all, and most people will be surprised to see a nice hard cover Urantia Book in some of these out of the way places. Their Thought Adjusters are hoping they can catch their subjects off guard like this. Enjoy, and remember, each of us can make a difference if we will just get out and do it!

Source: http://www.urantia.o...ative-libraries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users