• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hello my friends!

As I went about my morning routine yesterday, I noticed a pair of missionary companionships knocking at the doors of neighborhood homes. I am ashamed to admit that at first I considered stepping inside and not answering their knock. It would be quite rude, as at least one companionship had seen me watering my flowers! Then, I thought to myself that I should tell them I was happy and secure in my own religion, and bid them "Good Day." Also rude, don't you think?

I had a quick prayer, and then settled upon the better way - be open, honest, loving, and compassionate.

When these Missionaries arrived at my yard, I greeted them warmly, and we had an enjoyable visit! Not many folks in my neighborhood welcomed them; and they were surprised with my reaction. Then, the fun started! They asked if I knew Jehovah and Jesus. Simple question; and I answered with the knowledge I have from The Urantia Book. In fact, the teachings I have learned and applied in my life seemed to astonish the two of them. After a short 20 minute visit, the eldest one stated : "It's so refreshing to speak to someone so well versed in The Bible!" I was sad to see them go. I had a wonderful feeling of sharing Jesus' love with them.

I regret that I did not have a copy of the Urantia book to give then in return for their magazine.

I have learned to honestly share, without apology, the great message. I am amazed at the ability I had to discuss the many different Bible passages they sought to share. They both continuously referred to both the Old and New Testaments, flipping from verse to verse with practiced speed, and disavowed any other scriptures. No matter where I was drawing my understanding, they were satisfied that I knew my Bible! I spoke from the heart, and needed no book in my hand - exhilerating! I was not in complete agreement with their message, and every time I explained the position I held, they were wide-eyed with the simplicity of my beliefs.

I am more sure today, than ever before, of the hunger in the world for the plain and simple truths I have learned from The Urantia Book. Sure, there are stupendous revelations therein, but Oh! the sublime treasure that is the simple fact of sonship with the Father of All, and the brotherhood of man and Christ Michael!

I feel mostly alone here in Las Vegas. My wife, friends, and associates are devout in their religion, which religion does not accept "revelation" from any source other than "the Prophet." How thrilling to find out that the Spirit was there with me. I am also certain my Guardian Angel(s) had a hand in helping me. I felt such love and happiness in sharing what I know without referring to the established local religions; and am amazed at the eagerness which these two older gentlemen showed in hearing me share from The Urantia Book.

I expect that I should have told them specifically about the Urantia Book; but I was afraid to spoil the moment. Was I wrong?

"JR" Sherrod
Las Vegas

Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#2 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hello my friends!

As I went about my morning routine yesterday, I noticed a pair of missionary companionships knocking at the doors of neighborhood homes. I am ashamed to admit that at first I considered stepping inside and not answering their knock. It would be quite rude, as at least one companionship had seen me watering my flowers! Then, I thought to myself that I should tell them I was happy and secure in my own religion, and bid them "Good Day." Also rude, don't you think?

I had a quick prayer, and then settled upon the better way - be open, honest, loving, and compassionate.

When these Missionaries arrived at my yard, I greeted them warmly, and we had an enjoyable visit! Not many folks in my neighborhood welcomed them; and they were surprised with my reaction. Then, the fun started! They asked if I knew Jehovah and Jesus. Simple question; and I answered with the knowledge I have from The Urantia Book. In fact, the teachings I have learned and applied in my life seemed to astonish the two of them. After a short 20 minute visit, the eldest one stated : "It's so refreshing to speak to someone so well versed in The Bible!" I was sad to see them go. I had a wonderful feeling of sharing Jesus' love with them.

I regret that I did not have a copy of the Urantia book to give then in return for their magazine.

I have learned to honestly share, without apology, the great message. I am amazed at the ability I had to discuss the many different Bible passages they sought to share. They both continuously referred to both the Old and New Testaments, flipping from verse to verse with practiced speed, and disavowed any other scriptures. No matter where I was drawing my understanding, they were satisfied that I knew my Bible! I spoke from the heart, and needed no book in my hand - exhilerating! I was not in complete agreement with their message, and every time I explained the position I held, they were wide-eyed with the simplicity of my beliefs.

I am more sure today, than ever before, of the hunger in the world for the plain and simple truths I have learned from The Urantia Book. Sure, there are stupendous revelations therein, but Oh! the sublime treasure that is the simple fact of sonship with the Father of All, and the brotherhood of man and Christ Michael!

I feel mostly alone here in Las Vegas. My wife, friends, and associates are devout in their religion, which religion does not accept "revelation" from any source other than "the Prophet." How thrilling to find out that the Spirit was there with me. I am also certain my Guardian Angel(s) had a hand in helping me. I felt such love and happiness in sharing what I know without referring to the established local religions; and am amazed at the eagerness which these two older gentlemen showed in hearing me share from The Urantia Book.

I expect that I should have told them specifically about the Urantia Book; but I was afraid to spoil the moment. Was I wrong?

"JR" Sherrod
Las Vegas

What a lovely story! Should you have told them about the book? Would it have spoiled the moment? My answer runs along the line of thought and experience that the joy of fellowship with others is an end in itself. I rarely tell people about the book, but that is a choice one makes. Whether you do or don't mention it is entirely up to you. To me - it's the fellowshipping that counts. Your story is splendid. And the memory of it is one you are likely to always cherish.

Meredith

#3 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Meredith here. Truth does not need a book, otherwise Jesus, the personification of truth, would have written one. Instead we have the person himself, the revealer of truth and the director of all loving personal relationships. You gave those evangelists fellowship with the actual spirit of Jesus living his life anew in you. What else could anyone possibly need?

p1228:3 112:2.4 Everything nonspiritual in human experience, excepting personality, is a means to an end. Every true relationship of mortal man with other persons--human or divine--is an end in itself.

p1951 And so must we clearly recognize that neither the golden rule nor the teaching of nonresistance can ever be properly understood as dogmas or precepts. They can only be comprehended by living them, by realizing their meanings in the living interpretation of the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.

p2062:10 When Jesus was on earth, he lived his life as one personality--Jesus of Nazareth. As the indwelling spirit of the "new teacher," the Master has, since Pentecost, been able to live his life anew in the experience of every truth-taught believer.

#4 SeekerOfTruth

SeekerOfTruth

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi Sherrod, prehaps I can reply to your experience and in doing so, tell the forum a little about myself as this will be my first post here.

I can tell you exactly how Jehovah's Witnesses would react to the Urantia book because I, as well as my wife, are one of Jehovah's Witnesses and have been for over 20 years. I know that by all accounts the book of Urantia claims to be of a divine source however, without absolute proof of this the Organisation(Church) itself has/would probably deem it too risky for study, thus anyone doing so unfortunately would likely be reproved in varying degrees to ensure that the Christian congregation, in their view, remains clean. So there is this fear factor involved that you need to be aware when offering the book to them.

At an individual level one of Jehovah's Witnesses would not, at first glance, be able to reconcile within themselves the teachings of the Urantia book in regards to the following subjects and these should be tactfully avoided for a time until there is an opportunity for deep study of these:

1.Creation.
2.Resurrection / Heaven.
3.Noah's Flood.
4.Redeption of Sin.
5.Trinity.
6.Revelation. (End of the Wicked)

Concepts that you can and should discuss with them initially are really anything in the New Testament but specifically:

1. Jesus life and ministry - I think the early years of Jesus life that are left out of the Bible cannon is a real shame and I don't see any need to tiptoe around those times in Jesus' life at all. A cautionary note would be to avoid using the term cross for his crucifixion. Jehovah's Witneses believe that Jesus died on an upward pole or stake literally in Greek "Stauros". They believe the veneration and use of the cross amounts to idolistic practice.

2. The apostles lives - Both my wife and I wept as I read for the first time of the apostles lives in the Urantia book. The UB sheds more light on these persons than any other book I've ever read and their life with Jesus and their personalities as portrayed really hit us hard. It took me awhile to read of their subsequent deaths near the end of each of their lives. It was a real pleasure and any Jehovah's Witness would love to hear about these brave men and their service in that much detail. This topic would be a fantastic way to break the ice between what they have in the Bible and what the Urantia book reveals and offers to those that would read it.

In any case remember that all spiritually minded persons are searching for God in their various ways and the Father looks on in the spirit not in the flesh. It's the intensions of those seeking the Truth that matter, not the path that they take per se. I believe this is why the Urantia book doesn't necessarily exault any one religion over the other but rather concentrates on Jesus ministry and the message he shared to those that were hungry for it.

Never fear speaking the Truth, the Good News, to others. The Witnesses deem it a real privilige to do so even though most of the time the door is promptly shut; The work they do is not easy by any means.

The Urantia book mentions this here and I think it applies to both parties:
(1570.14) 140:3.13 - "You are the light of the world. A city set upon a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and be led to glorify your Father who is in heaven.

In regards to your last question though: I would say to be prudent and hold onto their copy of the Urantia book for a time. Ask for a mutual return visit whereby you can both share the good news from each source with a view to glorifying the Father by showing this love to one another all the while concentrating on Jesus ministry to build common ground for other topics later on.

It is even now my sincere hope that as time passes we can break down the prejudices and barriers to unite all those seeking the Truth, regardless of religion, realizing that we're all drawn to and loved by the same Father. Being Jehovah's Witnesses ourselves my wife and I, I believe, can be an example of this possibility. With an open mind we've been studying this book for a while now and I have to say that much of the truth I've been seeking seems to be within its pages.

So a big HI to all here!

Craig

#5 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

It is even now my sincere hope that as time passes we can break down the prejudices and barriers to unite all those seeking the Truth, regardless of religion, realizing that we're all drawn to and loved by the same Father. Being Jehovah's Witnesses ourselves my wife and I, I believe, can be an example of this possibility. With an open mind we've been studying this book for a while now and I have to say that much of the truth I've been seeking seems to be within its pages.

So a big HI to all here!

Craig

Dear Craig,

. . . and a big HI to you! Thank you for sharing about yourself. I know a number of UB readers (people who have been reading the book more than 20 years) who are members of and active in a church or congregation of some sort. While the UB study group of which I am a part is not a "church," the fellowshipping with like-minded people is a great weekly uplift and is perhaps similar to what people get out of going to church where the focus is on God, neighborliness, service, friendship, worship. . . . Our study group focuses on all of those things through the in-depth study of the teachings in the book, and every time we read together, we discover new things in the book we had not previously noticed! It's a revelation, the reading of which continues to unfold to an inquiring minds!

All the best,
Meredith

#6 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

The main problem I have with the Jehovah's Witnesses is their policy of disfellowshipping, even for such trivial reasons as getting a blood transfusion. There are similarities between the Urantia Book and Jehovah's Witnesses teachings, such as the coming Kingdom of God on earth, annihilation for the wicked instead of hell, identifying Jesus with Michael, and their belief in Jesus as a lower divine being instead of the same as the Father. Their translation of John 1:1 is understandable from a Urantian perspective, especially since, in the original Greek of the verse, it refers to the Father as the "Theon" and the Word as "Theos."

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

If these figures are true, they are very upsetting:

For every 100 Jehovah's Witnesses more than 1 is disfellowshipped each year; over 60,000(1). Two out of every three are never reinstated(2). Being disfellowshipped can result in serious emotional side affects because:

those that continue to believe Watchtower doctrine are told that whilst disfellowshipped they are condemned to everlasting destruction(3)
those who become unbelievers, with no intention of returning to the Watchtower Society, realise they are unlikely to freely associate with Witness family and friends for the remainder of their lives.
http://www.jwfacts.c...ip-shunning.php

The Urantia Book has some similarities to the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, etc. but the one important ingredient that is missing in their religions is the freedom of the individual to find spiritual truth without fear of punishment from ecclesiastical authorities. Mormons and JW's claim to have no professional clergy, yet they are perhaps the most rigid and institutionalized religions in the world.

“More than that, we want to hate those who willfully show themselves haters of Jehovah, haters of what is good. …We hate them, not in the sense of wanting to do them harm or wishing them harm but in the sense of avoiding them as we would poison or a poisonous snake, for they can poison us spiritually.”—The Watchtower, June 15, 1980, p. 8

“Godly hate is a powerful protection against wrongdoing… Are we doing that? …Apostates are included among those who show their hatred of Jehovah by revolting against him. Apostasy is, in reality, a rebellion against Jehovah. …Others claim to believe the Bible, but they reject Jehovah’s organization and actively try to hinder its work. …a Christian must hate (in the Biblical sense of the word) those who have inseparably attached themselves to the badness.”—The Watchtower, October 1, 1993, p. 19
http://4witness.org/...jw-shunning.php

Edited by Howard509, 08 December 2012 - 02:44 PM.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#8 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

This documentary gives JW history from their own perspective:

This is the charitable deeds of the JW's:
http://www.jw-media....w/article44.htm

This is a beautiful JW song:

Unlike other churches, JW's don't receive government funding for their charitable work and they don't advertise the work they do.

Please keep in mind, I have no intention of becoming a JW. I just think they deserve a better reputation, especially for the good they've done for the cause of religious freedom.

Teilhard de Chardin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users