• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kaybe

Kaybe

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:More or less [i]anything[/i] creative. People, the most fascinating, rewarding, enriching creatures (pink, furry, scaly, feathery or otherwise). The quest for the divine.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

This is a very important topic to me. As far as I know, beyond the Urantia Book Foundation whose members are so generous in their efforts to spread the new revelation, there is no "Church of Urantia" in the sense of buildings, sunday worship, a priesthood of any kind.

If I have overlooked something, please let me know.
On a frosty winters night, stand looking into the spangled sky, and listen carefully. Can you hear the spheres, singing in their courses?

If my questions seem naieve, please understand that I am a newcomer to the papers eager to learn more

#2 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

This is a very important topic to me. As far as I know, beyond the Urantia Book Foundation whose members are so generous in their efforts to spread the new revelation, there is no "Church of Urantia" in the sense of buildings, sunday worship, a priesthood of any kind.

Hello Kaybe, all,

This is an interesting subject. Are you looking for a Urantia church? You're right though about no priesthood, no Sunday worship, unless one goes to one's own church to worship, no building called "a church." I do think some people may wish to churchify the revelation - to make a church of it - while others do not. I'm of the latter viewpont.

When people ask me what church I go to, I am happy to say I take my church with me wherever I go. I might do things differently, had I been raised in a family in which church was a part of family culture. But I did not have that kind of upbringing.

All the best to you!
Meredith

#3 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

191.6.3 This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests. Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth.

194.3.6 This new teacher was bestowed upon mankind, and every soul received him in accordance with the love for truth and the capacity to grasp and comprehend spiritual realities. At last, true religion is delivered from the custody of priests and all sacred classes and finds its real manifestation in the individual souls of men.

#4 Kaybe

Kaybe

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:More or less [i]anything[/i] creative. People, the most fascinating, rewarding, enriching creatures (pink, furry, scaly, feathery or otherwise). The quest for the divine.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Once again, Bonita, I am indebted to your knowledge of the papers. One of the things I am beginning to discover is the extent to which divine revelations have been "modified" to suit the agendas of those who seek dominion. I can't rule out the usefulness of well-educated, trained guides in some circumstances, but by and large, we seem to learn best by, as one physicist put it:

standing around the blackboard and explaining to each other what we don't understand

That is, by encouraging one another. By sharing what we have learned.
One of the most important lessons I have learned is that a good teacher can learn from the pupil.
On a frosty winters night, stand looking into the spangled sky, and listen carefully. Can you hear the spheres, singing in their courses?

If my questions seem naieve, please understand that I am a newcomer to the papers eager to learn more

#5 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

There are also good examples of priesthood in The Urantia Book.

Page 747:

None of the Prince’s staff would present revelation to complicate evolution; they presented revelation only as the climax of their exhaustion of the forces of evolution. But Hap did yield to the desire of the inhabitants of the city for the establishment of a form of religious service. His group provided the Dalamatians with the seven chants of worship and also gave them the daily praise-phrase and eventually taught them “the Father’s prayer,” which was:

“Father of all, whose Son we honor, look down upon us with favor. Deliver us from the fear of all save you. Make us a pleasure to our divine teachers and forever put truth on our lips. Deliver us from violence and anger; give us respect for our elders and that which belongs to our neighbors. Give us this season green pastures and fruitful flocks to gladden our hearts. We pray for the hastening of the coming of the promised uplifter, and we would do your will on this world as others do on worlds beyond.”

Page 850:

The home life of the violet peoples was, for their day and age, ideal. Children were subjected to courses of training in agriculture, craftsmanship, and animal husbandry or else were educated to perform the threefold duty of a Sethite: to be priest, physician, and teacher.

And when thinking of the Sethite priesthood, do not confuse those high-minded and noble teachers of health and religion, those true educators, with the debased and commercial priesthoods of the later tribes and surrounding nations. Their religious concepts of Deity and the universe were advanced and more or less accurate, their health provisions were, for their time, excellent, and their methods of education have never since been surpassed.

Page 1015:

And that night, as they talked out under the stars, Melchizedek began his mission of the revelation of the truth of the reality of God when, with a sweep of his arm, he turned to Amdon, saying, “El Elyon, the Most High, is the divine creator of the stars of the firmament and even of this very earth on which we live, and he is also the supreme God of heaven.”

The Part IV of The Urantia Book was devoted to the greatest example of all. Jesus continued the same mission that Melchizedek left behind after his mission. While teaching his followers spiritual truths, mainly about God, Jesus gave us a perfect example of good priesthood.

#6 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

How about a church that incorporates the UB into the sermons?

#7 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Knowing and working with reader/believers for over 20 years, sermonizing isn't high on the list, Rev Red. One of the beauties of this new revelation is that it negates all intermediaries. Our Father and the Master are directly available to all, God is within, seek Him there. The world has enough preachers and priests, what Urantia needs now is people who can actually live these teachings.

All that said, there are a few who are attempting to found a UB based church. http://www.thespiritualfellowship.org/

#8 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

we are the church. Each one of us. Jesus said that he can build new temple in three days and he was holding to his chest.
No more empty words, repeating prayers and totemising our the one and only Father, Son and Mother Spirit

I was propelled like a rocket after realizing that intimate prayers has waaaay better effect. Sometimes even astonishing. :wub:

(173:5.4) After speaking this parable, Jesus was about to dismiss the multitude when a sympathetic believer, making his way through the crowds toward him, asked: "But, Master, how shall we know about these things? how shall we be ready for the king's invitation? what sign will you give us whereby we shall know that you are the Son of God?" And when the Master heard this, he said, "Only one sign shall be given you." And then, pointing to his own body, he continued, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." But they did not understand him, and as they dispersed, they talked among themselves, saying, "Almost fifty years has this temple been in building, and yet he says he will destroy it and raise it up in three days." Even his own apostles did not comprehend the significance of this utterance, but subsequently, after his resurrection, they recalled what he had said.

(184:3.7) The first time any two of their witnesses approached even the semblance of an agreement was when two men testified that they had heard Jesus say in the course of one of his temple discourses that he would "destroy this temple made with hands and in three days make another temple without hands." That was not exactly what Jesus said, regardless of the fact that he pointed to his own body when he made the remark referred to.

peace

Peace be upon you

#9 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Knowing and working with reader/believers for over 20 years, sermonizing isn't high on the list, Rev Red. One of the beauties of this new revelation is that it negates all intermediaries. Our Father and the Master are directly available to all, God is within, seek Him there. The world has enough preachers and priests, what Urantia needs now is people who can actually live these teachings.

All that said, there are a few who are attempting to found a UB based church. http://www.thespiritualfellowship.org/

Hi dear friends!

It breaks my heart that The Spiritual Fellowship has dissolved! It seems to have been somewhere I would liked to have been part of! I would like to be able to share my experiences and worship Heavenly Father openly celebrating the FER, with something more than a study group; but not having one nearby, I could be wrong. For the time being, I remain active in the church I've been attending these last 30 years; and I carefully edit my actions and speech mindful of those who have not yet accepted the Urantia Book.
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#10 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Some local readers started this not long ago.

http://urantiaworshipdfw.com/

#11 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Some local readers started this not long ago.

http://urantiaworshipdfw.com/

Thanks, Rick; looks like a nice place to be! Of course, the commute from Las Vegas, Nevada might be a bit much.

Maybe we'll get something going in the Las Vegas valley one day . . .
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#12 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

I understand what you are saying. But we are looking at it differently. Im not speaking of a priesthood like the Vatican where they are the sole authority, etc. I have learned much more from the Bible reading it myself, which would not have been available in English had it not been for the martyrs who died putting it into english. But at the same time people learn from each other and like to know how it fits there lives as well as others. Its one thing "knowing" its affecting others, but quite another "seeing". And my sermons are not that of a typical pastor with a "sit down, shutup, listen" attitude. I open it up as a discussion. More like a study than a sermon. There will always be someone of higher and less understanding than us. It is our job to help the less and learn from the higher. A church of one ok, but a church of many is beneficial to all involved.

#13 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

The word church has become so burdened with mixed associations that it evokes an atmosphere and multiple layers of scenarios that border on the ominous in my mind.

But the word temple - ah, now that brings to mind something else entirely!

I visualize a consecrated space for silent cosmic contemplation, with a triune sanctuary that has honored places for Paradise bestowal Son, seat of Planetary Prince, and acting chief of Finaliters attached to Urantia. I consider such a temple as that in which pilgrims can periodically gather to pray, to worship, study, and fellowship. Instead of following the formula of archaic sermons, this would be the optional arena for converging together, much as study groups gather in various venues around the world to consider the teachings of the Urantia Book.

Is establishing any of that as an actual physical building necessary? No.
Would it be a place of profound work for those who are working to dedicate themselves to doing the will of God? Yes.

I suspect it would have to be designed in such an architectural way so as to keep it firmly disassociated with the arthritic approach of traditional structures. And great care would have to be taken not to fall into the classic traps of creating a class of priests, preachers, teachers, ministers, monks, nuns, and all the other names for those who historically tend to hold themselves apart and "on high" from the laity, congregation, and other such terms for delineating and designating cultural castes.

Edited by Absonite, 30 November 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#14 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

As also posted in "Both OF and ABOUT Jesus"

This is from a poll done in England, but nonetheless it helps show why Christianity should be embraced, not thrown away or ignored. Why Christianity is and will be an important forum to teach the UB.
http://onenewsnow.co...christian-roots

I apologize for the double-post but i feel its relevant to both topics.

#15 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey Rev !! Every normal minded person on-planet is seeking God in one way or another....either personally and faithfully or they seek His fruit blindly and willfully and in error (by fear, anger, greed, lust, etc.) or godlessly. But all yearn for...something, eh? If only this inherent human yearning could be directed inward and upward toward truth and light. "Religion" in the UB is similar to "evil" and "personality" and "time" and "truth" and "reality", in that it has a specific and unexpected definition. Religion is NOT an institution or congregation or dogmatic creed that unites believers. Religion is the faith experience of each believer. You will find those who uphold religion as church and those who oppose religion as church but neither perspective comes from the Revelation. Everything that is true, beautiful, and good IS religious to the religionist, or it should be as Father is the source of all such. The value of any church, congregation, and religious institution is directly proportional to its positive effects on the believer to uplift them through doubt, fear, anxiety, guilt, damnation, blood sacrifice (self focused), to beauty, hope, love, worship, communion with Father, and service for others (not self focused). I recommend the following papers for study:
  • Paper 100 - Religion in Human Experience
  • Paper 101 - The Real Nature of Religion
  • Paper 102 - The Foundations of Religious Faith
  • Paper 103 - The Reality of Religious Experience

• (1104.6) 101:1.3 The divine spirit makes contact with mortal man, not by feelings or emotions, but in the realm of the highest and most spiritualized thinking. It is your thoughts, not your feelings, that lead you Godward. The divine nature may be perceived only with the eyes of the mind. But the mind that really discerns God, hears the indwelling Adjuster, is the pure mind. “Without holiness no man may see the Lord.” All such inner and spiritual communion is termed spiritual insight. Such religious experiences result from the impress made upon the mind of man by the combined operations of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth as they function amid and upon the ideas, ideals, insights, and spirit strivings of the evolving sons of God.

• (1105.1) 101:1.4 Religion lives and prospers, then, not by sight and feeling, but rather by faith and insight. It consists not in the discovery of new facts or in the finding of a unique experience, but rather in the discovery of new and spiritual meanings in facts already well known to mankind. The highest religious experience is not dependent on prior acts of belief, tradition, and authority; neither is religion the offspring of sublime feelings and purely mystical emotions. It is, rather, a profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind, and as far as such an experience is definable in terms of psychology, it is simply the experience of experiencing the reality of believing in God as the reality of such a purely personal experience.

• The truth and reality of anyone's religious experience is demonstrated only by the fruits of the spirit and by the behavior/personality/priorities/responses of the religionist and not by loud professions or protestations - truth may only be lived and demonstrated for its proof and for its effects.

• (1108.3) 101:3.4 Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

(1108.4) 101:3.5 1. Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistictendencies. *
    (1108.5) 101:3.6 2. Produces a sublime trust in the goodness of God even in the face of bitter disappointment and crushing defeat.
    (1108.6) 101:3.7 3. Generates profound courage and confidence despite natural adversity and physical calamity.
    (1108.7) 101:3.8 4. Exhibits inexplicable poise and sustaining tranquillity notwithstanding baffling diseases and even acute physical suffering.
    (1108.8) 101:3.9 5. Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.
    (1108.9) 101:3.10 6. Maintains a divine trust in ultimate victory in spite of the cruelties of seemingly blind fate and the apparent utter indifference of natural forces to human welfare.
    (1108.10) 101:3.11 7. Persists in the unswerving belief in God despite all contrary demonstrations of logic and successfully withstands all other intellectual sophistries.
    (1108.11) 101:3.12 8. Continues to exhibit undaunted faith in the soul’s survival regardless of the deceptive teachings of false science and the persuasive delusions of unsound philosophy.
    (1108.12) 101:3.13 9. Lives and triumphs irrespective of the crushing overload of the complex and partial civilizations of modern times.
    (1108.13) 101:3.14 10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political maladjustments.
    (1108.14) 101:3.15 11. Steadfastly adheres to a sublime belief in universe unity and divine guidance regardless of the perplexing presence of evil and sin.
    (1108.15) 101:3.16 12. Goes right on worshiping God in spite of anything and everything. Dares to declare, “Even though he slay me, yet will I serve him.”

• All believers in God are His faith children, regardless of congregational affiliation or creed, as are all unbelievers. My biggest personal reason for non-affiliation is that far too many churches exclude far more than they welcome and require "conversion" to their "true" church. That and the persistance of fear based primitivisms, symbols, and rites. I support that which brings God to man but truly there are many in Father's service and He has delivered unto each of us Himself and the Mother Spirit to assist the angels and adjutants and so many others to bring God to man and man to God. Religion is the core of the pilgrim's potential and destiny. But it will forever remain a personal religion and experience. But the sharing of that with others is powerful and pleasing to Father when it uplifts the religionist by the group experience. The world desperately needs the Good News.....when it is presented as GOOD news.

Peace be upon you."

#16 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

The many religions of Urantia are all good to the extent that they bring man to God and bring the realization of the Father to man. It is a fallacy for any group of religionists to conceive of their creed as The Truth; such attitudes bespeak more of theological arrogance than of certainty of faith. There is not a Urantia religion that could not profitably study and assimilate the best of the truths contained in every other faith, for all contain truth. Religionists would do better to borrow the best in their neighbors' living spiritual faith rather than to denounce the worst in their lingering superstitions and outworn rituals. P.1012 - §4

Peace be upon you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users