#1 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

Dear Forum Family,

Today we can celebrate May 18 as the anniversary of the Bestowal of the Spirit of Truth on Urantia:

...Pentecost, with its spiritual endowment, was designed forever to loose the religion of the Master from all dependence upon physical force; the teachers of this new religion are now equipped with spiritual weapons. They are to go out to conquer the world with unfailing forgiveness, matchless good will, and abounding love. They are equipped to overcome evil with good, to vanquish hate by love, to destroy fear with a courageous and living faith in truth. Jesus had already taught his followers that his religion was never passive; always were his disciples to be active and positive in their ministry of mercy and in their manifestations of love. No longer did these believers look upon Yahweh as "the Lord of Hosts." They now regarded the eternal Deity as the "God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ." They made that progress, at least, even if they did in some measure fail fully to grasp the truth that God is also the spiritual Father of every individual....P.2064 - ß3

#2 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

Other tremendous events which occurred on that momentous day:

1. Those who rebelled against Michael were interned.
2. The loyal primary and the secondary midwayers formed a voluntary union now functioning in world affairs.
3. The "new and living way" was established wherein mortals are able to proceed directly to the mansion worlds.
4. The possibility of demoniacal possession no longer exists.
5. There are no longer any bad or disharmonious spirits in the world.
6. The Adjusters are universally bestowed upon all normal minds of moral status.
7. The reserve corps membership has, since then, steadily increased.
8. The end of the "chosen people" arrived.
9. Spiritual experience was forever disassociated from the notion of especially favorable environments.
10. The fact that women stand before God on an equality with men was established.
11. It marked the end of special priesthoods and all belief in sacred families.
12. The self-assertiveness of individuals, groups, nations, and races was lessened and the material spirit of selfishness was swallowed up in the spiritual bestowal of selflessness.

194.3.13 Up to Pentecost, religion had revealed only man seeking for God; since Pentecost, man is still searching for God, but there shines out over the world the spectacle of God also seeking for man and sending his spirit to dwell within him when he has found him.

#3 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

He had to leave so He could be with us all.

The world needs to see Jesus living again on earth in the experience of spirit-born mortals who effectively reveal the Master to all men2084-1

All our efforts to enlarge the human concept of God would be well-nigh futile except for the fact that the mortal mind is indwelt by the bestowed Adjuster of the Universal Father and is pervaded by the Truth Spirit of the Creator Son.33-3
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#4 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Religion. Music. Blues, Classic R&B and Gospel in particular.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

From Paper 194, section "What Happened at Pentecost":

............The religion of Jesus provides the joy and peace of another and spiritual existence to enhance and ennoble the life which men now live in the flesh.

I had never equated prayer life or faith or thoughts about the Elohim God and the spiritual world as "another and spiritual existence", but find that this is a marvelous, usable concept, engrafting this spiritual existence onto our finite life, thus ennobling it.

Imagine not having this "another and spiritual existence" as a frame of references. It would be, for me, like a car without a steering wheel, or a ship without a compass. Thus seemingly would be life without values, or conscious morals, or direction. What a wonderfully descriptive one liner!

Edited by Teobeck, 04 December 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#5 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

What a wonderfully descriptive one liner!

When we keep in mind from where our identity and personality come,
and to where the fruits of this romance go, well, life feels more like a
weekend away, at some "adventure camp". Great fun, and priceless,
but I do look forward to going home. You know, getting this pack off
my back, letting the boots dry out, sharing stories... :huh:

Nigel

#6 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

When one couples the life of Jesus, his resurrection, and the believers' reception of the Spirit of Truth at Pentecost, as written in TUB, one can see that God provided the way for anyone, no matter race, culture, sex, or traditional religion to understand God's love and his desire to provide mankind a way to a better life here (combatting the vicissitudes of both evil and fear) and hereafter, through simple faith.

194:2.4 Do not make the mistake of expecting to become strongly intellectually conscious of the outpoured Spirit of Truth. The spirit never creates a consciousness of himself, only a consciousness of Michael, the Son. From the beginning Jesus taught that the spirit would not speak of himself. The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael.

194:3.11 Pentecost, with its spiritual endowment, was designed forever to loose the religion of the Master from all dependence upon physical force; the teachers of this new religion are now equipped with spiritual weapons. They are to go out to conquer the world with unfailing forgiveness, matchless good will, and abounding love. They are equipped to overcome evil with good, to vanquish hate by love, to destroy fear with a courageous and living faith in truth.

194:3.17..................The religion of Jesus is the most powerful unifying influence the world has ever known.

194:3.18...........Mankind can be unified only by the spiritual approach, and the Spirit of Truth is a world influence which is universal.

194:3.19 .............The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

Anyone who ever experienced the Spirit of Truth knows all of the above is a spiritual reality. Growth in that mind frame takes time (transition as TUB explains), but ultimately becomes comfortable (as also explained), and can be replenished daily through prayer and worship, and application.

As TUB explains above, "Do not make the mistake of expecting to become strongly intellectually conscious of the outpoured Spirit of Truth." However, many experience this Spirit emotionally at times as well, either with tears or in other ways, as often referred to in the Bible. TUB also refers to the gifts of the spirit.

I have never found a resource like TUB, which poignantly clarifies most every question. Every believer's reception of these truths and assimilation thereof depends largely on where the person is personality development-wise, morally, geopolitically, their childhood training or lack thereof, and prior life experiences.

And then, adding a cosmology which explains all of these truths on an incredible scale, TUB simply affirms the operations of heaven which all conform with Jesus' life and resurrection. This Spirit of Truth is available to everyone freely for the asking today and forever, and is the confirmation that cannot be denied.

I always hope when I post herein that the Spirit of Truth will guide me in helping others who read these posts, and that I'm posting truth rather than personal opinion.

#7 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

I always hope when I post herein that the Spirit of Truth will guide me in helping others who read these posts, and that I'm posting truth rather than personal opinion.

What's wrong with opinion? It's my opinion that none of us can post divine truth. Everything we write or say has gone through our human filter and must then be truth according to our personal experience with it/him. Truth is highly personal and always relative, at least on this level of existence.

Opinion is wonderful. Type in the word "opinion" on a TUB search engine and you will see how often the authors themselves use it. The entire book is written based upon fact and opinion according to the authors. It is not an inspired text.

101.4.2 Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired.

101.4.5 Truth may be but relatively inspired, even though revelation is invariably a spiritual phenomenon. While statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired, such revelations are of immense value . . .

I suppose what you're really hoping is that you are posting personal revelation, which may be relatively inspired, and therefore a useful insight worth sharing with other truth-seekers. Now, just so you know, I got into a heap of trouble claiming that once. In fact I was booted off a forum because the administration thought I was claiming to channel divine truth directly from God. How absurd! Can't be done! Not by us, anyhow . . . just sayin'

#8 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

Yes, you're correct of course. I should have said that I hoped my opinion contained truth.

I also read where you posted last year a collection of quotes on the Spirit of Truth, a beautiful collection.

As much as I would like to absorb as many and as much of these truths as possible, I find it to be a daunting task to assimilate so much no matter how much I study. This really shows my personal limitations. And, I'm supposed to apply it as well!

#9 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

As much as I would like to absorb as many and as much of these truths as possible, I find it to be a daunting task to assimilate so much no matter how much I study. This really shows my personal limitations. And, I'm supposed to apply it as well!

Forgive me if this sounds preachy or sanctimonious. Ted, you say that you would like to absorb truths, as many as possible. Allow me to share my own "opinions" about this, for whatever they are worth.

I don't really think that I absorb truth, I am more or less absorbed by truth, or absorbed in truth. Truth is an experience. I don't believe we learn truth like we learn math or history. I think we learn truth in relationships, relationships of all kinds; relationships with other people; relationships with divinity; relationships with things; and most importantly, a relationship with life itself.

As we progress along the path of personal light and life, our relationships become centered on the comprehensible elements of Deity, which are truth, beauty and goodness. I believe that we become absorbed in the actual experience of truth, beauty and goodness which is manifest in our minds, in the material world around us, and most importantly, in spirit, which lives in all of us. We find God everywhere. He is in us and we are in him. That is the absorption I experience.

I find that I must immerse all of my life in God, even the ridiculously mundane parts of it. I played a game as a child; I pretended to let God use my eyes to see the world. I imagined God looking through my eyes, thinking with my brain, sensing with my senses. I wanted God to see the world as I saw it. Eventually I learned to share everything with him and as luck would have it, he eventually showed me how to see the world through his eyes. At least that's how I've interpreted it over the years. It is an exercise that I still do. Childlike as it seems, it centers the life experience on a partnership of the creature and the Creator, a childlike simple game but full of potential for the experience of truth, beauty and goodness. It is amazing to me that so many trivial and seemingly insignificant things and occurrences in my life are filled with the presence of God. It's an untapped treasure trove.

#10 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:48 AM

Another variation on the eyes-for-God game is to be a glove, through which our Father feels this world.

[...] It's an untapped treasure trove.

Regarding truth, and untapped treasure troves, it all seemed so mysterious until that line on page 1111:4,

"Increasingly throughout the morontia progression the assurance of truth replaces the assurance of faith. When you are finally mustered into the actual spirit world, then will the assurances of pure spirit insight operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed upon, these former techniques of personality assurance." (1111.4) 101:5.14

Once Truth is described (revealed) as a "technique of personality assurance", a new perspective can unfold. Understanding can be added to the experience of the Personality circuit (that aspect of reality our Father did not delegate).

Personality assurance -- imagine not only the bliss, but understanding that bliss.
Nigel

#11 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Another variation on the eyes-for-God game is to be a glove, through which our Father feels this world.

Interesting idea Nigel. I should try it since I don't have a lot of "feeling" for this world. I love this world but I tend to view it not through a "touchy feely" sort of way but through a more cosmic lens, as though watching it from the position of a wise and loving Creator. At least that's what I strive for, falling short almost all of the time.

TUB tells us that God contacts us, not by feelings or emotions, but by spiritualized thinking, so I tend towards that end of the spectrum rather than the other way around. But I believe that any attitude of mind, be a childlike game or another more pious approach, works well if it engages God in every aspect of one's life. If the attitude of a personality toward the world is primarily through feelings, then the glove game would probably work as well as any other. It certainly would encourage one to act out one's spiritual relationship with the world rather than internalize it.

Once Truth is described (revealed) as a "technique of personality assurance", a new perspective can unfold. Understanding can be added to the experience of the Personality circuit (that aspect of reality our Father did not delegate).
Personality assurance -- imagine not only the bliss, but understanding that bliss.

I'm not sure of what you are saying Nigel. How do you describe the difference between faith assurance and truth assurance? I have my own ideas, but would like to hear someone else's. What do you mean by understanding being added to experience? What type of understanding are you referring to? Isn't wisdom essential for understanding and isn't experience essential for wisdom? How does the personality circuit relate to this and to the personality assurance you are referring to? Finally, what do you mean when you say the Father did not delegate the personality circuit? Or did you mean that understanding/experience is not delegated by the Father to be part of the personality circuit? Not following you.

Maybe you're saying that it is possible for us to experience the personality circuit without understanding what it is we are experiencing and that eventually we progress through faith and truth to full personality assurance via that understanding? Still not getting that though. I don't think we ever fully understand the personality of God. He never ceases to unfold and reveal new personality treasures for us, regardless of where we are in the ascension, or post-ascension scheme. God is much more than personality yet his personality is endless and essentially incomprehensible.

5.1.12 The great God makes direct contact with mortal man and gives a part of his infinite and eternal and incomprehensible self to live and dwell within him.

#12 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

Hey Nigel,

I'm not sure why you've ignored my questions. Maybe you thought they were rhetorical? Maybe they seem ridiculous? Anyway, I do want to hear your views and I'd love to read your explanation of your last post. I do not understand your theories on the personality circuit, my ideas and opinions are much different, so I'm anxious to know more about your thoughts on this. The quote again:

101.5.11 Increasingly throughout the morontia progression the assurance of truth replaces the assurance of faith. When you are finally mustered into the actual spirit world, then will the assurances of pure spirit insight operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed upon, these former techniques of personality assurance.

As for faith assurance, I believe we begin with faith and as we grow in personal religious experience with the Spirit of Truth, we move toward truth assurance; we learn to trust and be trustworthy such that we are able to carry on in the sole company of TRUTH.

p1141:5 103:9.7 Faith most willingly carries reason along as far as reason can go and then goes on with wisdom to the full philosophic limit; and then it dares to launch out upon the limitless and never-ending universe journey in the sole company of TRUTH.

Faith and truth are techniques of personality assurance. Further personality assurance comes with fusion when our personalities fuse with the Adjuster and final personality assurance comes at the spirit level of the Finaliter. But where does "understanding" and the personality circuit fit into this? I really would like to know what you meant by that. Is it really understanding or is it the wisdom of experience? Is it really the personality circuit or the personal religious experience of the spirit gravity circuit that pulls us inward, or both?

Would love a conversation if you're willing. :huh:

#13 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Dear Bonita,

Thank you for your questions! And please excuse my delay; when dealing matters of truth,
love and personality, I tend to move at a truly "Ent-like" pace. :huh: Ent-link

Hmmm. Understanding that circuit, the care of which our Father did not (or could not) delegate,
that circuit centered on the First Source and Center, that circuit that is completely other than the
spiritual, mindal and material circuits that motivate and integrate and animate the master universe
-- the personality circuit -- depends on having some idea of the purposes of reality that requires
Creator Sons to serve as "living ways". This, the Urantia Book freely gives.

[...] but I tend to view it not through a "touchy feely" sort of way but through a more cosmic lens,
as though watching it from the position of a wise and loving Creator.

Excellent, the big picture, seen in perspective! Ok, think of Personalized Adjusters. Are there any beings
more wondrous, more awesome, and more mysterious? But "what is man, that you are mindful of him?"
Are we not the slow-motion personalization of an adjuster? "Be ye therefore perfect, ..."? As a hint
of a glimpse of a Fatherly perspective, where His purposes are implied, I imagine something like this:

Attached File  Abs_Fam.jpg   68.01KB   10 downloads

In this diagram, the entire master universe, all absonite eventuation, all finite evolution, is wrapped
up as a single momentary slice across some non-time sequence, imaginable in some Paradise frame.
This momentary slice serves like an absonite womb from which is born our Father's absolute family.

Being engaged with the personality circuit, we inherit eternal assurance. This is something we can
feelingly experience, the fact of being loved by the source and center of Love. The twist here is that,
in addition to enjoying it, the UB can help us to understand this experience,

"The peace of Jesus is, then, the peace and assurance of a son who fully believes that his career
for time and eternity is safely and wholly in the care and keeping of an all-wise, all-loving, and
all-powerful spirit Father. And this is, indeed, a peace which passes the understanding of mortal
mind, but which can be enjoyed to the full by the believing human heart." (1955.1) 181:1.10

Thus the universe is a family affair, and love is the business of persons.
Nigel

#14 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for your reply Nigel. I think I get the gist of your concept of the personality circuit, but the diagram is meaningless to me. What does an absonite womb have to do with you and me personally living in time/space, here on little Urantia in the year 2010? I'm just not getting it.

And, when you say "understand", are speaking about getting a cosmological viewpoint from TUB or the actual revelation of real understanding such as "spirit insight" from TUB? I don't define spirit insight as being able to visualize a map of the spirit world, so maybe that's why the diagram doesn't seem to register with me . . . just guessin' though. I think I'm talking about a different kind of understanding, but I'm not sure.

The personality circuit is a curious thing. Without it, I think we wouldn't be able to function very well as persons.

9.8.6 Personality of the finite-creature variety is characterized by: 1. Subjective self-consciousness. 2. Objective response to the Fatherís personality circuit.

So what do you think this objective response is? Subjective self-consciousness would be my own inner perception of myself. Objective response to the personality circuit would be my observable or measurable perception of other personalities, which also includes a pre-personality too, right? The personality circuit is also called the circuit of divine love. So there must be an objective response to divine love in order to qualify as a response to the personality circuit, do you agree? If not, what would be objective about the personality circuit? Love, as we experience it is objective. I don't think it can be called divine love if it's purely subjective, that would be merely thinking about love. I think that the experience of love results in something measurable, like fruit. Where on the diagram is the fruit?

5.6.12 Concerning those personalities who are not Adjuster indwelt: The attribute of choice-liberty is also bestowed by the Universal Father, and such persons are likewise embraced in the great circuit of divine love, the personality circuit of the Universal Father.

#15 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

[...], but the diagram is meaningless to me.

Thanks for alerting me to the inadequacies of that cryptic sketch :( For me, it serves
as a launch pad for cosmology, theology and philosophy. But it assumes the following:

"For example: The human mind would ordinarily crave to approach the cosmic philosophy portrayed in these revelations by proceeding from the simple and the finite to the complex and the infinite, from human origins to divine destinies. But that path does not lead to spiritual wisdom. Such a procedure is the easiest path to a certain form of genetic knowledge, but at best it can only reveal manís origin; it reveals little or nothing about his divine destiny." (215.2) 19:1.5

Perhaps a way into this is to try to consider the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth from
the Bestower's perspective, not only from ours (as receivers). When the Father says
to the Son, "Let us make mortal man in our own image", He surely envisages the
essential role of a team of Creator Sons, serving as the living way along which to
evolve us through and from necessary finite and absonite wombs. We are told:

"Truth is made accessible [...] by the bestowal on such a mind of the spirits of the
Father and the Sons, the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth." (1111.8) 101:6.4

"The personality circuit is also called the circuit of divine love."

And there is the key! To use an analogy from our Father's utterly non-personal
side, let Love be like the light, and Truth the ether, of the Personality domain.

Is it any wonder that we -- as persons -- are so moved by Love and Truth?
They are the illumination and the medium of our Father's circuit :huh:
Nigel

#16 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi Nigel,

I knew you were going to pull that quote out to explain your diagram, that is, viewing the universe from top to bottom rather than bottom to top. The only problem is that I visualize top to bottom cosmology very differently, so your diagram looks like a foreign language to me. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with it, I just don't comprehend it. What are the gray bubbles on the top and bottom?

Anyway, why do you say that the analogy, "truth the either" is from "our Father's utterly non-personal side"? Truth is personal, how else can it be living?

2.7.2 Physical facts are fairly uniform, but truth is a living and flexible factor in the philosophy of the universe.

21.6.4 . . . Michaels are literally destined to be ďthe way, the truth, and the life," . . .

And isn't love personal??? How can it not be?

#17 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

What are the gray bubbles on the top and bottom?

Woops... they be the Un-Qualified. Here's the upstream conceptual sequence that begins
at the beginning, and tries to lead from the I AM downstream and into that cryptic sketch:

Attached File  Abs_Pre.jpg   73.54KB   2 downloads

That earlier sketch then follows on, elaborating the "zero age":

Attached File  Abs_Fam.jpg   68.01KB   2 downloads

Next, imagine a "downstream conceptual sequence", in which we unfold that womb-like
master universe slice. For us UB students, this may be more pertinent, and interesting!

I'll explain the non-personal "illumination/medium" analogy later!
Nigel

#18 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Holy Crawdads Nigel! I'm more lost than ever. Why did the I AM turn into an egg? Why did he give birth to twin eggs in a yolk sac? You're losing me with the yolk sac. But, I admire your efforts to try to teach me. I guess I'm a poor student, or maybe it's because I didn't take the prerequisite course? Tell me why the I AM morphed into an egg. Are both the twin eggs unqualified? If so, why do they suddenly appear above the label "Qualification"? Aaaargh!

#19 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

Are we still in ENT time?

#20 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Dear Bonita (Happy Christmas!),

Anyway, why do you say that the analogy, [...]

Once again, woops! You seem to have received my message backwards?
My plan was to use the notion of material light wiggling through a material
ether as a non-personal analogy of Love (analog of light in the Personality
domain) wiggling through Truth (a Personality-responsive medium). Did I
miss a comma, or just express this poorly?

With regard to "objective response",

Personality of the finite-creature variety is characterized by:
1. [...]
2. Objective response to the Fatherís personality circuit. (106.6) 9:8.8

this extends the analogy: as matter has an objective gravitational response
to the 4th Source and Center (Paradise), our Personality has an objective
gravitational response to the (gravity of) the 1st Source and Center (Dad).

With regard to "Holy Crawdads", to give us the beginnings of a finger-hold
on an accessible finite frame, I started that sequence of diagrams from the
self-qualification of the I Am:

"5. The Infinite Potential. I AM self-qualified. [...] " (1155.2) 105:2.9

With the still point of symmetry perturbed, we can imagine (1) the Unqualified,
(2) the Trinity, (3) the Father's will to create His family from perfected fragments
of Himself, and thus (4) the essential Living Way that draws us (by the power of
Love through the medium of Truth) along that sequence of wombs and births.

My (inappropriate?) implication that the (pre-master universe) Deity Absolute
and (post-master universe) "God the Absolute" are two sides of the same coin,
was just a concept shortcut to remove time from this (more-or-less erroneous!)
frame in which to (temporarily) think.

Thanks for helping me try to clarify, and to explore :o
Nigel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users