55 replies to this topic

#21 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Another encouraging sign, and a therapy that's already available to some, is genetic filtering. Parents can, and will moreso in the near future, get a gene check up before having children, for compatibility and diseases to start.

Once that option becomes widely used and popular, parents will realize that they are actually rejecting some inferior genes they inherited, carried and probably suffered too. They will understand that the process is not evil. They will invest for the best health and future for their children and that is what good parents will always want to do. Once the idea becomes generally accepted, it will be transfered into politics.

#22 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

If someone has inferior genes, you can tell just by looking at them and talking to them. There's no need for a test. You know when you are talking to a subnormal. If you can't tell if a person is subnormal or not, then they are fine. They're normal obviously.

Another logic problem with your idea is the fact that subnormals would not likely be intelligent enough to seek out a parental blood test prior to procreating. The only people who would care to get the test would be intelligent, wise, and high-minded, which probably means they are normal.

There are two subnormals at my church. Everyone knows they are not developmentally human like the rest of us. We don't need to test them. We just know. They probably have thought adjusters because they are at church, but they're more animal than human. For either of these creatures to reproduce would be tragic.

The problem with our society is that we are not able to speak of these things. The push for equality right now is center stage. Everyone's equal and the same. Barack Obama, yes we can, etc. Gays in the military and women in combat, etc, etc, etc. Until we can make society understand that we are not all equal, we don't have a chance of eliminating subnormals. The equality freaks would never allow it.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 03 May 2010 - 02:44 PM.

"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#23 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

If someone has inferior genes, you can tell just by looking at them and talking to them. There's no need for a test. You know when you are talking to a subnormal. If you can't tell if a person is subnormal or not, then they are fine. They're normal obviously.

From the days of Charles Robert Darwin, Gregor Johann Mendel and Thomas Hunt Morgan, understanding of genetics has progressed greatly. But still, what Mendel realized about dominant and recessive alleles of genes, holds true.

Translated into English that means we all may carry plenty of inferior genes, but they have not affected drastically to our lives, because most of those inferior genes are recessive, their spread stays low and heterozygous. Why it is in fact that way? Because evolution is very effective in removing inferior dominant genes from the gene pool.

Those inferior recessive genes are the reason why people avoid inbreeding. The children of Adam and Eve could inbreed within their purely Adamitic family without any danger, because their genotypes were completely clean of any inferior genes. One could say that they were genetically superior.

Another logic problem with your idea is the fact that subnormals would not likely be intelligent enough to seek out a parental blood test prior to procreating. The only people who would care to get the test would be intelligent, wise, and high-minded, which probably means they are normal.

It is not so much a question of intelligence, but a question of ethics, moral codes and what we have been taught about acceptable politics and such.

The problem with our society is that we are not able to speak of these things. The push for equality right now is center stage. Everyone's equal and the same. Barack Obama, yes we can, etc. Gays in the military and women in combat, etc, etc, etc. Until we can make society understand that we are not all equal, we don't have a chance of eliminating subnormals. The equality freaks would never allow it.

The writers of The Urantia Book knew this and we know it too: Humans should base their political decisions on science.

#24 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

From the days of Charles Robert Darwin, Gregor Johann Mendel and Thomas Hunt Morgan, understanding of genetics has progressed greatly. But still, what Mendel realized about dominant and recessive alleles of genes, holds true.

Translated into English that means we all may carry plenty of inferior genes, but they have not affected drastically to our lives, because most of those inferior genes are recessive, their spread stays low and heterozygous. Why it is in fact that way? Because evolution is very effective in removing inferior dominant genes from the gene pool.

Those inferior recessive genes are the reason why people avoid inbreeding. The children of Adam and Eve could inbreed within their purely Adamitic family without any danger, because their genotypes were completely clean of any inferior genes. One could say that they were genetically superior.

It is not so much a question of intelligence, but a question of ethics, moral codes and what we have been taught about acceptable politics and such.

The writers of The Urantia Book knew this and we know it too: Humans should base their political decisions on science.

The UB states that only subnormals should be prevented from breeding. If someone is normal then there is nothing in the UB that says they shouldn't breed. It doesn't matter what their genes are. All that matters is if they are normal or not. It says that white people shouldn't breed with secondary sangik, but that's about it.
"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#25 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

The UB states that only subnormals should be prevented from breeding.

I agree. Anyone who is not fit to have children, should not have any. Whether they are subnormals or violent criminals, unfit for any reason.

If someone is normal then there is nothing in the UB that says they shouldn't breed.

Again I agree.

It doesn't matter what their genes are.

Not true. We are talking here about inherited traits and genes.

For example think about Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, the wife of Emperor Nicholas II of Russia. She carried in an X-chromosome a mutated recessive gene that causes hemophilia. The couple was unlucky and their only son got that gene from her. Statistically speaking in every pregnancy she had 50% chance to have a boy child and 50% chance that the boy could have been healthy. All of their daughters were healthy, but probably half of them were carriers just like their mother was.

If they had the modern gene technology and medical science that we have today, they could have been helped to have only children who would not have carried that hemophilia gene.

All that matters is if they are normal or not. It says that white people shouldn't breed with secondary sangik, but that's about it.

Please read my previous quotes from The Urantia Book in this thread.

"Having failed to achieve race harmonization by the Adamic technique, you must now work out your planetary problem of race improvement by other and largely human methods of adaptation and control." (586.4)

"In a general way, man’s evolutionary destiny is in his own hands, and scientific intelligence must sooner or later supersede the random functioning of uncontrolled natural selection and chance survival." (734.3)

Edited by rock, 09 May 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#26 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Not true. We are talking here about inherited traits and genes.

For example think about Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, the wife of Emperor Nicholas II of Russia. She carried in an X-chromosome a mutated recessive gene that causes hemophilia. The couple was unlucky and their only son got that gene from her. Statistically speaking in every pregnancy she had 50% chance to have a boy child and 50% chance that the boy could have been healthy. All of their daughters were healthy, but probably half of them were carriers just like their mother was.

If they had the modern gene technology and medical science that we have today, they could have been helped to have only children who would not have carried that hemophilia gene.

I meant to include criminals and lunatics in my list of subnormality. The UB insinuates that criminaility is in the genes and insanity is definitely inherited sometimes. I get that. But where do you draw the line with this? Jude, the Lord's brother, ended up in jail once. He might have become a criminal if not for his brother's intervention. Jude's disrespect for the law doesn't imply bad genes. And don't forget those Andites with the wonderful gene pool were prone to maiden debauchery. There are murderers and then there are nineteen year olds who foolishly wrote bad checks because they are young and irresponsible. What about the folks behind bars for unpaid traffic tickets? Should everyone behind bars be prevented from breeding? Is Bernie Madoff the kind of criminal who shouldn't breed? He's very intelligent and successful afterall.

And in this day and age everything is labeled a mental disorder. Tiger Woods has sex addiction disorder, a mental health problem. I don't believe that, but society does.

I'm not on anything, but many friends and family members take psychiatric medication believing it to be a safe way to stabilize their moods. A lot of celebrities take prozac and anxiety medication. Everyone has some sort of mental health diagnosis. Should the bipolar person be considered too insane to breed?

And who is to say if someone is really bipolar or just labeled bipolar? There's no blood test to confirm a mental health diagnosis. It's all subjective analysis by the psychiatrist. There was a reporter who went undercover to many different psychiatrist's offices and was given completely different diagnoses at each one. Insanity is so subjective. And now tiny children are being given mental health diagnoses and put on psych meds. I heard that small boys who won't sit still like girls are being given Ritilin and diagnosed with some form of insanity. I hear they are over diagnosing autism now too. It turns out some of the children diagnosed with autism were really just lacking in parental guidance and discipline. But then again, real autism like the Rain Man would be someone who should be sterilized for sure.

Rock, I must have misunderstood you to mean you wanted to forcibly sterilize people for carrying recessive genes even though they are completely normal. You meant you want to allow them to breed, but somehow prevent the recessive genes from dominating in the children. I don't think we have such technology yet, but it sounds like a good plan.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 10 May 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#27 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Rock, I must have misunderstood you to mean you wanted to forcibly sterilize people for carrying recessive genes even though they are completely normal. You meant you want to allow them to breed, but somehow prevent the recessive genes from dominating in the children. I don't think we have such technology yet, but it sounds like a good plan.

We have such technology and it has been used on humans.

The key is to reject some genes while still allowing people to have children. A couple has twice the amount of genes compared what each child needs. So, anyway half must be rejected, either by natural chance or by determined scientific effort.

I don't need to explain it in English, which is a foreign language to me. But read this instead: http://abcnews.go.co...=2932593&page=1

The method is effective, although it is expensive. I just think that it could be developed more economical.

Here is also a shorter explanation of the method:
http://hopes.stanfor...entest/s13.html
http://www.medicaret...m/pgd_screening

Edited by rock, 11 May 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#28 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

We have such technology and it has been used on humans.

The key is to reject some genes while still allowing people to have children. A couple has twice the amount of genes compared what each child needs. So, anyway half must be rejected, either by natural chance or by determined scientific effort.

I don't need to explain it in English, which is a foreign language to me. But read this instead: http://abcnews.go.co...=2932593&page=1

The method is effective, although it is expensive. I just think that it could be developed more economical.

Here is also a shorter explanation of the method:
http://hopes.stanfor...entest/s13.html
http://www.medicaret...m/pgd_screening

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know we had this technology. I'm concerned that it all takes place in a petrie dish instead of "the natural way." I mean, a married couple would have to use birth control and then have their insides removed and combined in a laboratory. That's kind of rough. Just as a side note, I disagree with the crowd that blames almost all diseases on genetics. Most intelligent doctors today admit that cancer is lifestyle related, not a gene. Most diseases like cancer can be prevented by proper diet and regular detoxification. Doctors can make a genetically perfect baby in a petrie dish, but if the baby grows up to eat nothing but fast food and coke and doesn't do anything healthy, they will probably get cancer anyway. As Jesus said most people who sought his healing are suffering the consequences of "years of wrong living."

#29 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

What makes this task even greater is the fact that the powerful elites of this world are either unaware or negligent about the previously stated racial issues. Thus they are not acting to solve the problems. On the contrary, they may be actually making things worse by contributing other values that they see more important and sometimes conflicting with the values expressed in this thread. It is very much possible and even probable that the subject and values of this thread are plain worthless to them.

#30 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

What makes this task even greater is the fact that the powerful elites of this world are either unaware or negligent about the previously stated racial issues. Thus they are not acting to solve the problems. On the contrary, they may be actually making things worse by contributing other values that they see more important and sometimes conflicting with the values expressed in this thread. It is very much possible and even probable that the subject and values of this thread are plain worthless to them.

Dear rock, all,

Do you see any progress in civilization today, as compared to years past? I think we would do well to encompass a longer, larger view to see how civilization has evolved, rather look at the problems in the short view as they appear today. Here are some references from Paper 118 which I think shed light on the topic.

In the beginnings on an evolutionary world the natural occurrences of the material order and the personal desires of human beings often appear to be antagonistic. Much that takes place on an evolving world is rather hard for mortal man to understand--natural law is so often apparently cruel, heartless, and indifferent to all that is true, beautiful, and good in human comprehension. But as humanity progresses in planetary development, we observe that this viewpoint is modified by the following factors:

1. Man's augmenting vision--his increased understanding of the world in which he lives; his enlarging capacity for the comprehension of the material facts of time, the meaningful ideas of thought, and the valuable ideals of spiritual insight. As long as men measure only by the yardstick of the things of a physical nature, they can never hope to find unity in time and space.

2. Man's increasing control--the gradual accumulation of the knowledge of the laws of the material world, the purposes of spiritual existence, and the possibilities of the philosophic co-ordination of these two realities. Man, the savage, was helpless before the onslaughts of natural forces, was slavish before the cruel mastery of his own inner fears. Semicivilized man is beginning to unlock the storehouse of the secrets of the natural realms, and his science is slowly but effectively destroying his superstitions while at the same time providing a new and enlarged factual basis for the comprehension of the meanings of philosophy and the values of true spiritual experience. Man, the civilized, will someday achieve relative mastery of the physical forces of his planet; the love of God in his heart will be effectively outpoured as love for his fellow men, while the values of human existence will be nearing the limits of mortal capacity.

3. Man's universe integration--the increase of human insight plus the increase of human experiential achievement brings him into closer harmony with the unifying presences of Supremacy--Paradise Trinity and Supreme Being. And this is what establishes the sovereignty of the Supreme on the worlds long settled in light and life. Such advanced planets are indeed poems of harmony, pictures of the beauty of achieved goodness attained through the pursuit of cosmic truth. And if such things can happen to a planet, then even greater things can happen to a system and the larger units of the grand universe as they too achieve a settledness indicating the exhaustion of the potentials for finite growth.
(p. 1306)

All the best,
Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert, 10 June 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#31 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Do you see any progress in civilization today, as compared to years past?

Yes, indeed. Progress has been obvious.

But we should not close our eyes on potential problems, since the progress is not automatic.

"But this does not mean that each separate and isolated change in the composition of human society has been for the better. No! indeed no! for there have been many, many retrogressions in the long forward struggle of Urantia civilization." (767.7)

There are some dangerous obstacles. They are visible and real.

The perils of budding industry on Urantia are:
1. The strong drift toward materialism, spiritual blindness.
2. The worship of wealth-power, value distortion.
3. The vices of luxury, cultural immaturity.
4. The increasing dangers of indolence, service insensitivity.
5. The growth of undesirable racial softness, biologic deterioration.
6. The threat of standardized industrial slavery, personality stagnation. Labor is ennobling but drudgery is benumbing.

(The Urantia Book, on page 786)

I emphasized two items on the list, because those are the two I have been talking about.

#32 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, Rock.

Many retrogressions of society can easily be seen just by looking around and comparing today to the pictures from the 1800's. We're only superior industrially, airplanes, internet, etc., but physically people have gotten slothful and more animalistic. Just the way we dress displays the biologic retrogression. Everyone walks around in jeans and T-shirts today, but look at the intricately tailored dresses and suits of even 100 years ago. I did a search for the word retrogression.

"The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake — material inertia — which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression; and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom will bear witness to the inexorable restoration of the imbalance between self-liberty and self-control (1302)."

"The iniquity of Caligastia was the by-passing of the time governor of progressive human liberation — the gratuitous destruction of restraining barriers, barriers which the mortal minds of those times had not experientially overridden (1302)."

"In the first century after Christ, Hellenistic culture had already attained its highest levels; its retrogression had begun; learning was advancing but genius was declining (2072)."

I wonder what the danger is of rapid progression. You would think that if something is an improvement, it would be a good thing to hurry up and make the improvement, but not so according to these quotes. Even an improvement must be made gradually and slowly.

And I really wish they would be more specific when they talk about Cal and Lucifer by passing the slowness to make immediate improvements. Whatever they were teaching at Dalamatia caused the mortals to attack the city. But once again the UB doesn't give specifics. Why did the mortals attack the city right after being taught self-liberty. They never do explain.

Anyway, my point is that when it comes to improving genetics or any kind of improvement, we're going to have to start with small baby steps and withold the larger picture from a society that's not ready for the big picture yet.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 20 June 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#33 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

I wonder what the danger is of rapid progression. You would think that if something is an improvement, it would be a good thing to hurry up and make the improvement, but not so according to these quotes. Even an improvement must be made gradually and slowly.

And I really wish they would be more specific when they talk about Cal and Lucifer by passing the slowness to make immediate improvements. Whatever they were teaching at Dalamatia caused the mortals to attack the city. But once again the UB doesn't give specifics. Why did the mortals attack the city right after being taught self-liberty. They never do explain.

Anyway, my point is that when it comes to improving genetics or any kind of improvement, we're going to have to start with small baby steps and withold the larger picture from a society that's not ready for the big picture yet.

My point was not to accelerate genetic evolution. Although it is possible, that was not my intention.

I was worried about undesirable "racial softness, biologic deterioration" and I am still worried. That is the point. The reason is that (almost) nobody cares. Other values override totally and progress goes backwards.

#34 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

The reason is that (almost) nobody cares. Other values override totally and progress goes backwards.

Right?

#35 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

I was worried about undesirable "racial softness, biologic deterioration" and I am still worried.

Fear not, rock. Plenty of us tough guys still around.
And plenty of folks "care", trust me!
Nigel

#36 rock

rock

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

I see two possible dangers.

One danger is that if you do progress in many areas at once, it is possible that you do many errors at once. Then you may face many undesired consequences at once. Repairing them all at once may be too difficult, and just trying to do that exhausts you and then you collapse. After that you would see only ruins and angry folks around you. You could also take big leaps and then face plant in a swamp.

The other danger is that one does progress, but does not know the basis of what is being done. How long can one take care of something that is really not understood?

This is my guess: Individual lack of wisdom combined with individual decision making probably leads to a catastrophe.

#37 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

My point was not to accelerate genetic evolution. Although it is possible, that was not my intention.

I was worried about undesirable "racial softness, biologic deterioration" and I am still worried. That is the point. The reason is that (almost) nobody cares. Other values override totally and progress goes backwards.

This quote reminds me of biologic softness.

64:7.20" The struggles of these early ages were characterized by courage, bravery, and even heroism. And we all regret that so many of those sterling and rugged traits of your early ancestors have been lost to the later-day races. While we appreciate the value of many of the refinements of advancing civilization, we miss the magnificent persistency and superb devotion of your early ancestors, which oftentimes bordered on grandeur and sublimity (729)."

In my opinion, very few scientists want to improve the race just out of goodwill for mankind. The elites' endgame is to genetically improve the elite population while poisoning and dumbing down the working class. Last thing elitists want is a super intelligent, super strong working class to rise up against them.

#38 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

I see two possible dangers.

One danger is that if you do progress in many areas at once, it is possible that you do many errors at once. Then you may face many undesired consequences at once. Repairing them all at once may be too difficult, and just trying to do that exhausts you and then you collapse. After that you would see only ruins and angry folks around you. You could also take big leaps and then face plant in a swamp.

The other danger is that one does progress, but does not know the basis of what is being done. How long can one take care of something that is really not understood?

This is my guess: Individual lack of wisdom combined with individual decision making probably leads to a catastrophe.

Hi rock, all,

I've been thinking with you about this. One thing I keep coming back to in my thinking is that we are in the middle of a chapter in our history. Your concerns indicate your vision for a better future - a vision many may share with you. This is 2010, not 2510. I mention this because I think there is a time line going forward (and looking to the past as well) which indicates to me the obvious fact that our planet and the people on it cannot be further along than we are on this day in the process of evolving and solving our many planetary problems. I am reminded of this:

Inherent capacities cannot be exceeded; a pint can never hold a quart. The spirit concept cannot be mechanically forced into the material memory mold. P.556 - §5 3.

A pint can never hold a quart in terms of the spirit concept capacity of the people of our world. The spirit concept cannot be forced upon others. I think enlarged concepts of the spirit are required to solve our many problems. But perhaps in the future we will be saying, "a quart cannot hold a gallon," because the spiritual vision of the problem-solvers is enlarged. I think revelation, the UB in particular, is necessary as a means to understanding our origin, history and destiny.

Pertaining to problem solving, this reference indicates the best approach to get the entire perspective on your subject. This emcompasses the whole approach. And, this approach is revealed to us as the following:

Even in the study of man's biologic evolution on Urantia, there are grave objections to the exclusive historic approach to his present-day status and his current problems. The true perspective of any reality problem--human or divine, terrestrial or cosmic--can be had only by the full and unprejudiced study and correlation of three phases of universe reality: origin, history, and destiny. The proper understanding of these three experiential realities affords the basis for a wise estimate of the current status. P.215 - §3

All the best,
Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert, 14 August 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#39 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I don't know if this quote has been offered yet. If it has, please accept my apologies for not reading the entire thread.

81.6.40  Man should be unafraid to experiment with the mechanisms of society. But always should these adventures in cultural adjustment be controlled by those who are fully conversant with the history of social evolution; and always should these innovators be counseled by the wisdom of those who have had practical experience in the domains of contemplated social or economic experiment. No great social or economic change should be attempted suddenly. Time is essential to all types of human adjustment — physical, social, or economic. Only moral and spiritual adjustments can be made on the spur of the moment, and even these require the passing of time for the full outworking of their material and social repercussions. The ideals of the race are the chief support and assurance during the critical times when civilization is in transit from one level to another.

Civilization is designed to avoid imbalance because of mandatory evolutionary requirements. Regression is a necessary part of progression. It's all about the yin and the yang. Right now our civilization has progressed further than its wisdom. We have overcome many external restraints without developing the necessary counterbalance of internal restraint. And that is what I believe the challenge of the age consists of - obtaining wisdom. This must occur before any further progression of civilization; therefore, a regression at this time may be inevitable while we catch up in wisdom. As Jessica pointed out:

118.8.5  The whole principle of biologic evolution makes it impossible for primitive man to appear on the inhabited worlds with any large endowment of self-restraint. Therefore does the same creative design which purposed evolution likewise provide those external restraints of time and space, hunger and fear, which effectively circumscribe the subspiritual choice range of such uncultured creatures. As man’s mind successfully overstrides increasingly difficult barriers, this same creative design has also provided for the slow accumulation of the racial heritage of painfully garnered experiential wisdom — in other words, for the maintenance of a balance between the diminishing external restraints and the augmenting internal restraints.

118.8.6  The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake — material inertia — which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression; and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom will bear witness to the inexorable restoration of the imbalance between self-liberty and self-control.

118.8.10  As man shakes off the shackles of fear, as he bridges continents and oceans with his machines, generations and centuries with his records, he must substitute for each transcended restraint a new and voluntarily assumed restraint in accordance with the moral dictates of expanding human wisdom. These self-imposed restraints are at once the most powerful and the most tenuous of all the factors of human civilization — concepts of justice and ideals of brotherhood. Man even qualifies himself for the restraining garments of mercy when he dares to love his fellow men, while he achieves the beginnings of spiritual brotherhood when he elects to mete out to them that treatment which he himself would be accorded, even that treatment which he conceives that God would accord them.

#40 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

Speaking of history, here's a quote worth contemplating about this gnarly topic, from a Life Carrier in Paper 64:

...And thus it has ever been on Urantia. Civilizations of great promise have successively deteriorated and have finally been extinguished by the folly of allowing the superior freely to procreate with the inferior.... P.719 - §3

Is that still our state? So what's the future going to be? That solution may not be entirely in our hands. Recall this arresting declaration earlier in the thread---from a Solitary Messenger?:

...For many thousands of years, so the records of Jerusem show, in each generation there have lived fewer and fewer beings who could function safely with self-acting Adjusters. This is an alarming picture, and the supervising personalities of Satania look with favor upon the proposals of some of your more immediate planetary supervisors who advocate the inauguration of measures designed to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types of the Urantia races.... P.1207 - §6

Speculations about the possible "proprosals" could be all but endless, no? Whatever the case, Urantia's greater future is secure, notwithstanding transient woes, evil eddies and many a rough patch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users