835 replies to this topic

#21 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Of course Bonita, I said that faith is the most important.
Without faith there is no purpose, we would not even write here
in this forum.
What does us move? What makes us need to communicate?
Living faith and therefore active.We want to share, transmit, serve.And LOVE

Hello Alina,

Your above comments remind me of this quote:

48.7.28 26. Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love.

#22 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Exactly Bonita, I wish to express this point.

In this beautiful and perfect quote you chose, is the synthesis.

Good, we're getting! B)

Alina

#23 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Good day readers,

While reading today, I found this:

When they had finished breakfast, and while the others sat by the fire, Jesus beckoned to Peter and to John that they should come with him for a stroll on the beach. As they walked along, Jesus said to John, "John, do you love me?" And when John answered, "Yes, Master, with all my heart," the Master said: "Then, John, give up your intolerance and learn to love men as I have loved you. Devote your life to proving that love is the greatest thing in the world. It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation. Love is the ancestor of all spiritual goodness, the essence of the true and the beautiful." (2047)

I wondered about this part of what Jesus said, "It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation." What does this mean?

1. Does it mean that God's love impels (to drive or urge forward; press on; incite or constrain to action; to drive or cause to move onward; propel; impart motion to) us?

2. Does it mean our love for God impels us (to drive or urge forward; press on; incite or constrain to action; to drive or cause to move onward; propel; impart motion to)?

3. Both, as in reciprocal? Or do you think it is linear, i.e. one is first followed by the other?

Cheers,
Meredith

#24 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

Good day readers,

While reading today, I found this:

When they had finished breakfast, and while the others sat by the fire, Jesus beckoned to Peter and to John that they should come with him for a stroll on the beach. As they walked along, Jesus said to John, "John, do you love me?" And when John answered, "Yes, Master, with all my heart," the Master said: "Then, John, give up your intolerance and learn to love men as I have loved you. Devote your life to proving that love is the greatest thing in the world. It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation. Love is the ancestor of all spiritual goodness, the essence of the true and the beautiful." (2047)

I wondered about this part of what Jesus said, "It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation." What does this mean?

1. Does it mean that God's love impels (to drive or urge forward; press on; incite or constrain to action; to drive or cause to move onward; propel; impart motion to) us?

2. Does it mean our love for God impels us (to drive or urge forward; press on; incite or constrain to action; to drive or cause to move onward; propel; impart motion to)?

3. Both, as in reciprocal? Or do you think it is linear, i.e. one is first followed by the other?

First, I should point out that Jesus said "It is the love of God which impels . . ." rather than "It is God's love which impels", which suggests a certain amount of personal responsibility in the process of salvation.

I think it wise to restate the three essential steps for salvation, according to Jesus:

1. Recognition of the sovereignty of God
2. Belief in sonship with God
3. Faith in the son's desire to become like his/her Father.

"John asked Jesus, "Master, what is the kingdom of heaven?" And Jesus answered: "The kingdom of heaven consists in these three essentials: first, recognition of the fact of the sovereignty of God; second, belief in the truth of sonship with God; and third, faith in the effectiveness of the supreme human desire to do the will of God--to be like God. And this is the good news of the gospel: that by faith every mortal may have all these essentials of salvation." p1585:07-1586:01

Once a person recognizes and accepts God's love within him/herself, the result is the desire to remove all obstacles between the self and God's love. This leads to selflessness and service. God's unconditional love is always present, but does not become a reality to us until we recognize and accept it. Therefore God's love comes first; it is the ancestor of all human expressions of love in the form of truth, beauty and goodness.

So, although Jesus was referring to the steps for salvation with his statement, one can infer that once a person seeks to love and serve God, it is proof that God has already found him/her. Meaning, God's selfless love enables him to serve us, the lowliest of beings. Recognition of God's selfless love leads to repentance and humility out of deference to God's magnanimous, unconditional and fatherly acceptance of us. And, I should add, that this comes when we realize the depth of God's love individualized for us. This then becomes a religious experience and not just an intellectual acceptance of God's goodness. It is this recognition of the individual and intimate love of the Father which impels a person to love God in return and to continue to seek for eternal salvation. For, we cannot continue to take so much without giving. It is the recognition of the chasm God has chosen to bridge for our safe passage which humbles a person and impels him to accept the duty which comes with sonship--the loyalty of love. So, the love of God which impels men to seek salvation is the acceptance of what righteous duty demands: loyalty to the Father, love of the Father and his will, and the resulting selfless service of love to the family of God.

p435:4 39:4.11 What is loyalty? It is the fruit of an intelligent appreciation of universe brotherhood; one could not take so much and give nothing. As you ascend the personality scale, first you learn to be loyal, then to love, then to be filial, and then may you be free; but not until you are a finaliter, not until you have attained perfection of loyalty, can you self-realize finality of liberty.

So, I believe the answer to your question depends on your perspective. Yes it is linear in the sense that all love is derived from one ancestral Source. TUB also tells us that love acts in a circuit. (Not a circle) Love is ever growing, changing and becoming. It is not like a fountain where spouted water gets returned, recycled and used again. Once love passes through a personality, it gains experience and becomes part of the Supreme, an evolving Deity and then . . . we'll have to wait and see.

All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father's love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man's personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme.1289:03

#25 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

...I come forth from the Eternal, and I have repeatedly returned to the presence of the Universal Father. I know of the actuality and personality of the First Source and Center, the Eternal and Universal Father. I know that, while the great God is absolute, eternal, and infinite, he is also good, divine, and gracious. I know the truth of the great declarations: "God is spirit" and "God is love," and these two attributes are most completely revealed to the universe in the Eternal Son....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26

#26 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

...I come forth from the Eternal, and I have repeatedly returned to the presence of the Universal Father. I know of the actuality and personality of the First Source and Center, the Eternal and Universal Father. I know that, while the great God is absolute, eternal, and infinite, he is also good, divine, and gracious. I know the truth of the great declarations: "God is spirit" and "God is love," and these two attributes are most completely revealed to the universe in the Eternal Son....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26

Well there you go! This gets back to my question about why Jesus said, "And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit."

Why didn't he say, "The Father requires of you only that you shall bear much fruit"? Why is the onus on Michael and his Spirit of Truth, and not on us? The answer seems to involve this issue of the revelation of "God is spirit" and "God is love". Michael, a son of the Eternal Son, makes it his personal responsibility to reveal these attributes of the Father to us individually and personally in his role as the living vine, the living truth. We cannot make the fruit ourselves, all we can do is provide the conditions within our hearts and minds for him to reveal the "living spirit" and the "living love" to us. Then we choose. The fruit grows because we allow God's "living spirit" and "living love" to become a part of us and Michael provides the way, the path of living spiritual energy for fruit production.

Michael is responsible for turning the statements, "God is spirit" and "God is love" into "God is living spirit" and "God is living love". Yah just gotta love 'im for that. He's my hero! (reminds me of the lyrics of a song, see below) What a miracle he is! And all we have to do is discover, recognize, interpret, and choose.

141.7.6  Jesus laid great emphasis upon what he called the two truths of first import in the teachings of the kingdom, and they are: the attainment of salvation by faith, and faith alone, associated with the revolutionary teaching of the attainment of human liberty through the sincere recognition of truth, “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Jesus was the truth made manifest in the flesh, and he promised to send his Spirit of Truth into the hearts of all his children after his return to the Father in heaven.

The Wind Beneath My Wings by Larry Henley and Jeff Silbar

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You've been content to let me shine.
You always walked a step behind.

I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
Only a face without a name,
I never once heard you complain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
that I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth:
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

They who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint. The Lord shall give you rest from your fear. Says the Lord: ‘Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. (131.2.6)

#27 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

So, I believe the answer to your question depends on your perspective. Yes it is linear in the sense that all love is derived from one ancestral Source. TUB also tells us that love acts in a circuit. (Not a circle) Love is ever growing, changing and becoming. It is not like a fountain where spouted water gets returned, recycled and used again. Once love passes through a personality, it gains experience and becomes part of the Supreme, an evolving Deity and then . . . we'll have to wait and see.

Hello Bonita, all,

I put some more thought into the question about "It is the love of God that impels. . . ," as in "' Devote your life to proving that love is the greatest thing in the world. It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation. Love is the ancestor of all spiritual goodness, the essence of the true and the beautiful.''' (2047) I think the answer, at least for me, is both. He, God, His love, impels us from where He is out there in the cosmos, and His love impels us from within by His spirit pilot - the indwelling prepersonal fragment of Himself known as the Thought Adjusters - one given to each one of us. And this divine love is outgoing in all its satisfaction-seeking - God eternally pours out love to the beings of His creation; they continue the love circuit (or not) in relation to others; the beings of His creation worship Him - the Love-Giver.

You are destined to live a narrow and mean life if you learn to love only those who love you. Human love may indeed be reciprocal, but divine love is outgoing in all its satisfaction-seeking. The less of love in any creature's nature, the greater the love need, and the more does divine love seek to satisfy such need. Love is never self-seeking, and it cannot be self-bestowed. Divine love cannot be self-contained; it must be unselfishly bestowed. (1739)

I do subscribe to the perspective of the paragraph you cited earlier:

All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father's love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man's personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme. (1289)

Thanks,
Meredith

#28 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi Meredith,

Your comments remind me of this quote:

103:6.5 A logical and consistent philosophic concept of the universe cannot be built up on the postulations of either materialism or spiritism, for both of these systems of thinking, when universally applied, are compelled to view the cosmos in distortion, the former contacting with a universe turned inside out, the latter realizing the nature of a universe turned outside in. Never, then, can either science or religion, in and of themselves, standing alone, hope to gain an adequate understanding of universal truths and relationships without the guidance of human philosophy and the illumination of divine revelation.

103:6.6 Always must man's inner spirit depend for its expression and self-realization upon the mechanism and technique of the mind. Likewise must man's outer experience of material reality be predicated on the mind consciousness of the experiencing personality. Therefore are the spiritual and the material, the inner and the outer, human experiences always correlated with the mind function and conditioned, as to their conscious realization, by the mind activity. Man experiences matter in his mind; he experiences spiritual reality in the soul but becomes conscious of this experience in his mind. The intellect is the harmonizer and the ever-present conditioner and qualifier of the sum total of mortal experience. Both energy-things and spirit values are colored by their interpretation through the mind media of consciousness.

But you wanna know what kinda bugs me . . . well, maybe you don't. I'm just wondering why no one else has offered an answer to your question. There are so many gifted people on this forum we rarely hear from.

#29 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

p.25-The physical bodies of mortals are "the temples of God." Notwithstanding that the Sovereign Creator Sons come near the creatures of their inhabited worlds and "draw all men to themselves"; though they "stand at the door" of consciousness "and knock" and delight to come in to all who will "open the doors of their hearts"; although there does exist this intimate personal communion between the Creator Sons and their mortal creatures, nevertheless, mortal men have something from God himself which actually dwells within them; their bodies are the temples thereof.

When you are through down here, when your course has been run in temporary form on earth, when your trial trip in the flesh is finished, when the dust that composes the mortal tabernacle "returns to the earth whence it came"; then, it is revealed, the indwelling "Spirit shall return to God who gave it." There sojourns within each moral being of this planet a fragment of God, a part and parcel of divinity. It is not yet yours by right of possession, but it is designedly intended to be one with you if you survive the mortal existence.

p.2089-Jesus does not require his disciples to believe in him but rather to believe with him, believe in the reality of the love of God and in full confidence accept the security of the assurance of sonship with the heavenly Father. The Master desires that all his followers should fully share his transcendent faith. Jesus most touchingly challenged his followers, not only to believe what he believed, but also to believe as he believed. This is the full significance of his one supreme requirement, "Follow me."

p.2091-Just as men must progress from the consciousness of the human to the realization of the divine, so did Jesus ascend from the nature of man to the consciousness of the nature of God. And the Master made this great ascent from the human to the divine by the conjoint achievement of the faith of his mortal intellect and the acts of his indwelling Adjuster

#30 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Auhored by a Divine Counselor in The Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26

THE Eternal Son is the perfect and final expression of the "first" personal and absolute concept of the Universal Father. Accordingly, whenever and however the Father personally and absolutely expresses himself, he does so through his Eternal Son, who ever has been, now is, and ever will be, the living and divine Word. And this Eternal Son is residential at the center of all things, in association with, and immediately enshrouding the personal presence of, the Eternal and Universal Father.p.73

#31 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

...The divine mystery consists in the inherent difference which exists between the finite and the infinite, the temporal and the eternal, the time-space creature and the Universal Creator, the material and the spiritual, the imperfection of man and the perfection of Paradise Deity. The God of universal love unfailingly manifests himself to every one of his creatures up to the fullness of that creature's capacity to spiritually grasp the qualities of divine truth, beauty, and goodness....

A Divine Counselor in Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26-7

#32 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

...The divine mystery consists in the inherent difference which exists between the finite and the infinite, the temporal and the eternal, the time-space creature and the Universal Creator, the material and the spiritual, the imperfection of man and the perfection of Paradise Deity. The God of universal love unfailingly manifests himself to every one of his creatures up to the fullness of that creature's capacity to spiritually grasp the qualities of divine truth, beauty, and goodness....

A Divine Counselor in The Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26-7

Understandably the phrase "up to the fullness of that creature's capacity to spiritually grasp the qualities of divine truth, beauty, and goodness.... "

It is the personal evolutionary process from primitive ignorance to recognition of Love

To every spirit being and to every mortal creature in every sphere and on every world of the universe of universes, the Universal Father reveals all of his gracious and divine self that can be discerned or comprehended by such spirit beings and by such mortal creatures. God is no respecter of persons, either spiritual or material. The divine presence which any child of the universe enjoys at any given moment is limited only by the capacity of such a creature to receive and to discern the spirit actualities of the supermaterial world.p.27

It also reminds me section 10 of Morontia life

Righteousness strikes the harmony chords of truth, and the melody vibrates throughout the cosmos, even to the recognition of the Infinite.p. 557

Other interesant quote:

The endowment of imperfect beings with freedom entails inevitable tragedy, and it is the nature of the perfect ancestral Deity to universally and affectionately share these sufferings in loving companionship.

As far as I am conversant with the affairs of a universe, I regard the love and devotion of a Thought Adjuster as the most truly divine affection in all creation. The love of the Sons in their ministry to the races is superb, but the devotion of an Adjuster to the individual is touchingly sublime, divinely Fatherlike. The Paradise Father has apparently reserved this form of personal contact with his individual creatures as an exclusive Creator prerogative. And there is nothing in all the universe of universes exactly comparable to the marvelous ministry of these impersonal entities that so fascinatingly indwell the children of the evolutionary planets.p-1203

#33 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

p50:4 3:4.6 Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolute truth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel—literally experience—the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father's LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.

What determines the human capacity for spiritual receptivity?

5:2.1 The physical presence of the Infinite is the reality of the material universe. The mind presence of Deity must be determined by the depth of individual intellectual experience and by the evolutionary personality level. The spiritual presence of Divinity must of necessity be differential in the universe. It is determined by the spiritual capacity of receptivity and by the degree of the consecration of the creature's will to the doing of the divine will.

There are levels of mind. Capacity for receptivity evolves within the human mind as it cooperates with various mind ministries.

65.6.10 The physical brain with its associated nervous system possesses innate capacity for response to mind ministry just as the developing mind of a personality possesses a certain innate capacity for spirit receptivity and therefore contains the potentials of spiritual progress and attainment. Intellectual, social, moral, and spiritual evolution are dependent on the mind ministry of the seven adjutant spirits and their superphysical associates.

The capacity for spiritual receptivity grows with the soul, the divine mind of the potentially immortal personality. What is necessary for soul growth?

108.1.5 2. Spiritual perception. The prospects of reverential development, the birth and growth of the religious nature. What is the potential of soul, the probable spiritual capacity of receptivity?

Prayer, reverent meditative thought, worship, an attitude of mind which allows the development of, and participation in, a covenant with God that embraces a living relationship with him, regardless of what he asks.

144.4.2 The earnest and longing repetition of any petition, when such a prayer is the sincere expression of a child of God and is uttered in faith, no matter how ill-advised or impossible of direct answer, never fails to expand the soul’s capacity for spiritual receptivity.

144.4.4 Prayer led Jesus up to the supercommunion of his soul with the Supreme Rulers of the universe of universes. Prayer will lead the mortals of earth up to the communion of true worship. The soul’s spiritual capacity for receptivity determines the quantity of heavenly blessings which can be personally appropriated and consciously realized as an answer to prayer.

144.2.5 “Let me tell you the story of a certain judge who lived in a wicked city. This judge feared not God nor had respect for man. Now there was a needy widow in that city who came repeatedly to this unjust judge, saying, ‘Protect me from my adversary.’ For some time he would not give ear to her, but presently he said to himself: ‘Though I fear not God nor have regard for man, yet because this widow ceases not to trouble me, I will vindicate her lest she wear me out by her continual coming.’ These stories I tell you to encourage you to persist in praying and not to intimate that your petitions will change the just and righteous Father above. Your persistence, however, is not to win favor with God but to change your earth attitude and to enlarge your soul’s capacity for spirit receptivity.

160.3.1 Meditation makes the contact of mind with spirit; relaxation determines the capacity for spiritual receptivity. And this interchange of strength for weakness, courage for fear, the will of God for the mind of self, constitutes worship.

194.3.20 Prayer did not bring the spirit on the day of Pentecost, but it did have much to do with determining the capacity of receptivity which characterized the individual believers. Prayer does not move the divine heart to liberality of bestowal, but it does so often dig out larger and deeper channels wherein the divine bestowals may flow to the hearts and souls of those who thus remember to maintain unbroken communion with their Maker through sincere prayer and true worship.

#34 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

Quote Bonita:

The capacity for spiritual receptivity grows with the soul, the divine mind of the potentially immortal personality. What is necessary for soul growth?

Page 1218-The human personality is identified with mind and spirit held together in functional relationship by life in a material body. This functioning relationship of such mind and spirit does not result in some combination of the qualities or attributes of mind and spirit but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

...but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

Mind knows quantity, reality, meanings. But quality--values--is felt. That which feels is the mutual creation of mind, which knows, and the associated spirit, which reality-izes.

In so far as man's evolving morontia soul becomes permeated by truth, beauty, and goodness as the value-realization of God-consciousness, such a resultant being becomes indestructible.p.1219

Edited by Alina, 09 December 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#35 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

A Divine Counselor in The Paper One of The Urantia Book - p26-7

This reference to love uses the adjective "universal". I don't know how Father God can love the many trillions of beings without falling back on the axiom: God is love.

Unconditional love is a commonly heard English phrase, or was. Tough love is another. Universal love must be the standard for divine love throughout the God-knowing universes, no?

It's funny (and fun) to think of existing and serving in a climate of unifying love. I've had a taste of it, here and there on the planet, but not anything like what living in a sustained atmosphere of full spirit affection must be...

Imagining~

#36 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

It is interesting that the phrase "unconditional love" does not appear anywhere in TUB.

#37 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

It's good to imagine Love
Unconditional love is an expression that is also used here. There is a popular song by that name, too.
The universal love at the moment is in the ideational level (massively speaking) but we can be positive and valuable achievements.

As we explain the following quotes:

Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual. Love thus grows; it cannot be created, manufactured, or purchased; it must grow. Evolution is a cosmic technique of growth. Social growth cannot be secured by legislation, and moral growth is not had by improved administration. Man may manufacture a machine, but its real value must be derived from human culture and personal appreciation. Man's sole contribution to growth is the mobilization of the total powers of his personality--living faith.P.1097

You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor's motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man.P.1098

Evolutionary religions and revelatory religions may differ markedly in method, but in motive there is great similarity. Religion is not a specific function of life; rather is it a mode of living. True religion is a wholehearted devotion to some reality which the religionist deems to be of supreme value to himself and for all mankind. And the outstanding characteristics of all religions are: unquestioning loyalty and wholehearted devotion to supreme values. This religious devotion to supreme values is shown in the relation of the supposedly irreligious mother to her child and in the fervent loyalty of nonreligionists to an espoused cause.P.1100

Imagine...Love

Alina.

Edited by Alina, 09 December 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#38 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

...Even though material mortals cannot see the person of God, they should rejoice in the assurance that he is a person; by faith accept the truth which portrays that the Universal Father so loved the world as to provide for the eternal spiritual progression of its lowly inhabitants; that he "delights in his children." God is lacking in none of those superhuman and divine attributes which constitute a perfect, eternal, loving, and infinite Creator personality....

A Divine Counselor in Paper One of The Urantia Book - p28

#39 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

[quote name='Rick Warren' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:32 AM' post='10539']

...Even though material mortals cannot see the person of God, they should rejoice in the assurance that he is a person; by faith accept the truth which portrays that the Universal Father so loved the world as to provide for the eternal spiritual progression of its lowly inhabitants; that he "delights in his children." God is lacking in none of those superhuman and divine attributes which constitute a perfect, eternal, loving, and infinite Creator personality....

A Divine Counselor in The Paper One of The Urantia Book - p28

"Notwithstanding that God is an eternal power, a majestic presence, a transcendent ideal, and a glorious spirit, though he is all these and infinitely more, nonetheless, he is truly and everlastingly a perfect Creator personality, a person who can "know and be known," who can "love and be loved," and one who can befriend us; while you can be known, as other humans have been known, as the friend of God. He is a real spirit and a spiritual reality.

As we see the Universal Father revealed throughout his universe; as we discern him indwelling his myriads of creatures; as we behold him in the persons of his Sovereign Sons; as we continue to sense his divine presence here and there, near and afar, let us not doubt nor question his personality primacy. Notwithstanding all these far-flung distributions, he remains a true person and everlastingly maintains personal connection with the countless hosts of his creatures scattered throughout the universe of universes"
Page 28.

#40 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

“Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends.” (140.5.21, John 15:13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users