#1 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

Dear Forum Friends,

About now, where I live, people start getting the "Christmas Spirit". They begin treating each other better, they look each other in the eyes more, they are eager to help and give thoughtful gifts, and they donate more to charities and indigents. In general most every adult gets caught up in this seasonal spirit in some measure, no matter their religious background.

People with the Christmas Spirit begin to show a more kindly attitude toward their fellow Earthlings, they show more love. I can't help marveling at the inevitability and recurring goodness of this annual event. It must have something to do with an enhanced connection to the Spirit of Truth "who directs the loving contact" between all those born in Nebadon, but I don't really know.

As a child, and even now, it pains me to see the rosy good cheer in people's faces drained away by new year's day. But while it lasts, I do truly enjoy this season of warm and communal, family-feeling love, though it be so very short, just one month in twelve. Almost all faiths and nations have something similar to this season of extraordinary love, kindness and peace.

I first learned about love--spiritual love--from my grandmother who had the Christmas Spirit all year round, her being fairly glowed with it. I was about 40 before realizing she was the only one in my life who actually knows and loves God, intimately and personally, all day, everyday.

But it took the Urantia Papers to help me sort out all the mis-information, mis-adaptation and misery surrounding the word love on this retarded and benighted planet. Somehow my grandmother did this without the clarity of a new and marvelous revelation chock full of supernal teachings on true love---genuine divine affection. She was the first one I called when I had a 'personal religious experience', when I connected with Michael's Spirit. Her old heart overflowed for me, even if it did take years and a mammoth epochal revelation for me to grasp the real significance of the experience. She was 99 when she graduated to Mansonia. I miss her gentle charming spirit.

I think this quote may speak the most clearly, the most plainly and directly, to the citizens of Urantia about the meaning and significance of the word love as the authors see it, from their higher perspective:

...At times I am almost pained to be compelled to portray the divine affection of the heavenly Father for his universe children by the employment of the human word symbol love. This term, even though it does connote man's highest concept of the mortal relations of respect and devotion, is so frequently designative of so much of human relationship that is wholly ignoble and utterly unfit to be known by any word which is also used to indicate the matchless affection of the living God for his universe creatures! How unfortunate that I cannot make use of some supernal and exclusive term which would convey to the mind of man the true nature and exquisitely beautiful significance of the divine affection of the Paradise Father.... p40

Humans have traditionally divided love into three general categories: carnal, fraternal and divine. This helps us to hone in on the real meaning and spiritual value of love. But revelation is needed in the form of living beings, like Jesus' incarnation of love on Urantia 20 centuries ago. Love now receives a great boost with the Urantia Papers, one that will put Urantia back on its track toward the ultimate in brotherly love, an age of light and life.

I have only begun to explore the living dimensions of personal and spiritual affection, in light of my experience and these new teachings. But I already know that spiritual love added a richness to life that just keeps expanding. Transforming life into a fountain of Father's love is the goal, but oh am I slow to change, to "disown the past" and embrace the new and wiser ways. It would be a real and joyous education to view, if only for a day, what life might be like if everyone on the planet were a "love saturated soul" (p1874).

The Master of Love and the authors utterly transformed my hazy, nebulous, ambiguous, amorphous, vague, ill-defined, and incomplete concept of genuine love--and my ability to live and spread it. Do these revelations on the nature, meaning, value and purpose of love inform you? Move you? How?

This post is the first in a series, an experimental thread called "A Course in Love". In fact, it is a skip through the revelation on the stepping stones of the words love, loves, loving, loved, lover, et al. There are over a thousand mentions of the word and its cousins in the Papers. Love is depicted as the central element in God's character, love is the Universal Father's infectious attitude toward all that is personal in the Universe.

Please read and make comment, offer insights, on your integration of these marvelous and unprecedented teachings on what must be the most important and rewarding aspect of universe life---genuine, spiritual love. The highest state of love must be affection expressed to God, our Paradise friend living inside. This love is properly called worship!

To propel this thread, sequential quotes will posted here every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, starting with the Foreword and ending on page 2097. The first mention of love in the Papers is packed with so much conceptual and spiritual information that a lifetime could be spent studying it alone, unraveling and integrating its truth-treasures. It's the sole subject of the post that follows this one.

If you are so led, post your reflections on love in the Papers, and how the teachings relate to your life of love. Only please remember this is a public forum devoted to the study and promulgation of the sublime and spiritually edifying teachings in the Urantia Book.

Merry Christmas, Rick

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:09 AM

...Divinity is creature comprehensible as truth, beauty, and goodness; correlated in personality as love, mercy, and ministry; disclosed on impersonal levels as justice, power, and sovereignty....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Foreword of The Urantia Book - p3

#3 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi Rick, all,

Thanks for starting this topic. One of the first things that came to my mind is the quote that says God is love, but love is not God, spiritually speaking, though God-lovers manifest in their daily lives the giving forth of His love (as best we can) in relationship with others.

God is love, but love is not God. The greatest manifestation of the divine love for mortal beings is observed in the bestowal of the Thought Adjusters, but your greatest revelation of the Father's love is seen in the bestowal life of his Son Michael as he lived on earth the ideal spiritual life. It is the indwelling Adjuster who individualizes the love of God to each human soul. (40)

Since the Adjuster individualizes the love of God to each human soul, each God-lover has a unique expression of personal experience with Him, and also a unique expression in daily life of God-love in relationship with others. It is inevitable that the abundance of God's love pour forth in daily life, sooner or later, as in the uttered, "My cup runneth over."

All the best,
Meredith

...Divinity is creature comprehensible as truth, beauty, and goodness; correlated in personality as love, mercy, and ministry; disclosed on impersonal levels as justice, power, and sovereignty....

The Urantia Book - p3

Edited by Meredith Van Woert, 30 November 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#4 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi Rick, all,

Thanks for starting this topic. One of the first things that came to my mind is the quote that says God is love, but love is not God, spiritually speaking, though God-lovers manifest in their daily lives the giving forth of His love (as best we can) in relationship with others.

God is love, but love is not God. The greatest manifestation of the divine love for mortal beings is observed in the bestowal of the Thought Adjusters, but your greatest revelation of the Father's love is seen in the bestowal life of his Son Michael as he lived on earth the ideal spiritual life. It is the indwelling Adjuster who individualizes the love of God to each human soul. (40)

Since the Adjuster individualizes the love of God to each human soul, each God-lover has a unique expression of personal experience with Him, and also a unique expression in daily life of God-love in relationship with others. It is inevitable that the abundance of God's love pour forth in daily life, sooner or later, as in the uttered, "My cup runneth over."

All the best,
Meredith

Dear readers,

I found this quote about the circuit of love. It provides further refinement on the source of spiritual love and the destiny of our experience in bestowing this love upon our fellows:

All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father's love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man's personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme. (1289)

Meredith

#5 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

But love, just like religion, is a subjective and personal experience. To say "I love you" is meaningless unless there is behavior which reveals that love; just as to say "I had a personal religious experience" is meaningless without evidence of the fruits of the spirit of that experience. The proof of love is similar to the proof of religious experience. The outer life of the individual must reveal the inner reality of the love or the religion within. Actually, TUB tells us that love is the essence of true religion. True love, like true religion, may include idealistic and romantic notions but will transcend the emotions of those very notions with actual Truth.

p1615:5  143:6.4 The theme of Jesus' teaching on Mount Gerizim was: That he wants all men to see God as a Father-friend just as he (Jesus) is a brother-friend. And again and again he impressed upon them that love is the greatest relationship in the world—in the universe—just as truth is the greatest pronouncement of the observation of these divine relationships.

Love, just like forgiveness, becomes available to the individual as an experience when it is made actual, when it is established as real by expressing the outward evidence of the potential within the inner drive by free will. Our Father is always revealing forgiveness, mercy and love to us within our hearts. He is always calling us, and when we recognize his call and wholly embrace it, when we express its essence outwardly, it becomes an actual experience, a reality of experiential divinity, the Supreme. Personality expression of love requires the exercise of free will in order to become a reality.

110.2.5 You as a personal creature have mind and will. The Adjuster as a prepersonal creature has premind and prewill. If you so fully conform to the Adjuster’s mind that you see eye to eye, then your minds become one, and you receive the reinforcement of the Adjuster’s mind. Subsequently, if your will orders and enforces the execution of the decisions of this new or combined mind, the Adjuster’s prepersonal will attains to personality expression through your decision, and as far as that particular project is concerned, you and the Adjuster are one. Your mind has attained to divinity attunement, and the Adjuster’s will has achieved personality expression.

We may "feel" the Father's love within us; but, if it is not embraced by the whole person and actually lived, it is only an intellectual experience, not a true religious experience. Love is best expressed in actions (truth, beauty and goodness), which is how the Father's kingdom becomes established.

#6 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

Forum Friends,

Thank you for the insightful replies Meredith,

The first thing that caught my attention about this first quotation with love in it, is the linking of love with truth, beauty and goodness. But this student of Father's nature can't help but note the odd-on-the-surface-nine-fold associations in it also. Looked at vertically, the columns might be labeled, from left to right, as divine, personal, impersonal, a reflection of the natures of the Absolutes, and/or the Trinity eh?

Truth-----------love---------justice
Beauty---------mercy-------power
Goodness------ministry-----sovereignty

Truth goodness and beauty are connected to love more than once in the UB. The authors appear to me to depict them as the three great pillars of God's character, a foundation of being for the greatest Person, and when unified they are worthy signposts toward defining and teaching love---a spiritual love that transcends all others.

Insights, comments and questions on love in the revelation are invited :rolleyes: Rick

Forum Discussion of Truth, Beauty & Goodness

84 Usages of TB&G in The Urantia Book

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Foreword of The Urantia Book - p3

#7 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'm curious. When is justice impersonal? I'm assuming it has something to do with the "law of God" rather than the "love of God".

2.6.8 God loves the sinner and hates the sin: such a statement is true philosophically, but God is a transcendent personality, and persons can only love and hate other persons. Sin is not a person. God loves the sinner because he is a personality reality (potentially eternal), while towards sin God strikes no personal attitude, for sin is not a spiritual reality; it is not personal; therefore does only the justice of God take cognizance of its existence. The love of God saves the sinner; the law of God destroys the sin.

#8 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

I'm curious. When is justice impersonal? I'm assuming it has something to do with the "law of God" rather than the "love of God".

Right assumption Bonita! :)

Justice can hardly get more personal to the one being judged. But to the ones judging, it's not personal, was my line of thinking, as with Trinity functions:

...Justice is not the attitude of the Father, the Son, or the Spirit. Justice is the Trinity attitude of these personalities of love, mercy, and ministry.... p114

Preachin' to the chior, aren't I?

Happy to see you posting to this thread. It's no secret you've made a study, a secondary work, and a life of learning spiritual loving assisted by the revolutionary teachings on it---this journey of ours, pulled to Paradise by the gravity of personal DIVINE love. It's a topic that needs more examination if there is ever to be a united family of peoples on Urantia.

I know, I know, love acts :rolleyes: Rick

#9 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

Beautiful theme.Thanks

We could say that kindness is the most important virtue, for the recognition of Love
Without glossing over the beauty and truth. We know that can not miss any of the three concepts.
But without goodness is impossible to obtain the necessary insight that helps us in perception,and discenimiento of spiritual meanings
We proceed from the goodness of love in search of DIVINE LOVE.

Some enlightening quotes:

Page 647-Goodness is the mental recognition of the relative values of the diverse levels of divine perfection. The recognition of goodness implies a mind of moral status, a personal mind with ability to discriminate between good and evil. But the possession of goodness, greatness, is the measure of real divinity attainment

Page 2096-1-The truth, beauty, and goodness of man's world are unified by the increasing spirituality of the experience of mortals ascending toward Paradise realities. The unity of truth, beauty, and goodness can only be realized in the spiritual experience of the God-knowing personality.

Page 2076-5-We find God through the leadings of spiritual insight, but we approach this insight of the soul through the love of the beautiful, the pursuit of truth, loyalty to duty, and the worship of divine goodness. But of all these values, love is the true guide to real insight.

Page-2078-7-Paradise values of eternity and infinity, of truth, beauty, and goodness, are concealed within the facts of the phenomena of the universes of time and space. But it requires the eye of faith in a spirit-born mortal to detect and discern these spiritual values

Greetings,
Alina.

Edited by Alina, 30 November 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#10 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:19 AM

...The transcendent goal of the children of time is to find the eternal God, to comprehend the divine nature, to recognize the Universal Father. God-knowing creatures have only one supreme ambition, just one consuming desire, and that is to become, as they are in their spheres, like him as he is in his Paradise perfection of personality and in his universal sphere of righteous supremacy. From the Universal Father who inhabits eternity there has gone forth the supreme mandate, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." In love and mercy the messengers of Paradise have carried this divine exhortation down through the ages and out through the universes, even to such lowly animal-origin creatures as the human races of Urantia....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in Paper One of The Urantia Book - p21

#11 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi Rick, all,

As finite mortal beings on our sphere, Urantia, we can easily grasp this definition of love, as it pertains to our eternal goal:

Love, unselfishness, must undergo a constant and living readaptative interpretation of relationships in accordance with the leading of the Spirit of Truth. Love must thereby grasp the ever-changing and enlarging concepts of the highest cosmic good of the individual who is loved. And then love goes on to strike this same attitude concerning all other individuals who could possibly be influenced by the growing and living relationship of one spirit-led mortal's love for other citizens of the universe. And this entire living adaptation of love must be effected in the light of both the environment of present evil and the eternal goal of the perfection of divine destiny. (1950)

Meredith

...The transcendent goal of the children of time is to find the eternal God, to comprehend the divine nature, to recognize the Universal Father. God-knowing creatures have only one supreme ambition, just one consuming desire, and that is to become, as they are in their spheres, like him as he is in his Paradise perfection of personality and in his universal sphere of righteous supremacy. From the Universal Father who inhabits eternity there has gone forth the supreme mandate, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." In love and mercy the messengers of Paradise have carried this divine exhortation down through the ages and out through the universes, even to such lowly animal-origin creatures as the human races of Urantia....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Foreword of The Urantia Book - p21

#12 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

Can there be love without trust?

#13 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

No,Bonita. It is impossible!!!

Edited by Alina, 01 December 2009 - 03:14 PM.

#14 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

No, Bonita. It is imposibility.

Then, should we not include the topic of trust in this discussion about love?

And if we speak of trust, should we not also mention loyalty?

Are not trust and loyalty part of faith?

Therefore, is not faith all we need to embark on the true religion of living love?

#15 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi All!

1111-Evolutionary religion drives home to the individual the idea of personal duty; revealed religion lays increasing emphasis on loving, the golden rule.

Evolved religion rests wholly on faith. Revelation has the additional assurance of its expanded presentation of the truths of divinity and reality and the still more valuable testimony of the actual experience which accumulates in consequence of the practical working union of the faith of evolution and the truth of revelation. Such a working union of human faith and divine truth constitutes the possession of a character well on the road to the actual acquirement of a morontial personality.

To me faith is not enough.
Without removing his trascental importance, taking into account the definition we have
the revelations of which are so closely related.
Faith is the foundation upon which we then build our destiny.
There are much to do!
It would be very comfortable and easy to us that with faith and everything was done but we know we must make many changes in our ideas and life.
We know,because it is vast information and also the teachings in UB

Revelations is more than sufficient, but must be accompanied by the growing realization.
Of course there are still human beings to which only to have the possibility of faith because they are in a stage of evolution that still not enables them to understand anything else.(is generally believed that faith, we know the difference)
But we consciously or unconsciously have assumed many responsibilities.
A greater knowledge, greater accountability,I think so

Faith-confidence,it is clear on the concept of our Blue Book is essential,as well as loyalty, morality, ethics and many other values which form the mass of our evolutionary level.
Without certain values, any attempt would be inefficient growth.
As well we have disasters of materialism, intellectualism, prejudice, and many other human deficiencies that are the real stones on the way up.To reach spiritually discerned.
Feel that with faith and without any genuine effort to overcome could stay very quiet?
We could make the attempt to unify our personality? among other things.

Page 42-43-The false science of materialism would sentence mortal man to become
an outcast in the universe. Such partial knowledge is potentially evil; it is knowledge composed of both good and evil. Truth is beautiful because it is both replete and symmetrical. When man searches for truth, he pursues the divinely real.

Philosophers commit their gravest error when they are misled into the fallacy of abstraction, the practice of focusing the attention upon one aspect of reality and then of pronouncing such an isolated aspect to be the whole truth. The wise philosopher will always look for the creative design which is behind, and pre-existent to, all universe phenomena. The creator thought invariably precedes creative action.

Intellectual self-consciousness can discover the beauty of
truth, its spiritual quality, not only by the philosophic consistency of its concepts, but more certainly and surely by the unerring response of the ever-present Spirit of Truth. Happiness ensues from the recognition of truth because it can be acted out; it can be lived.
Disappointment and sorrow attend upon error because, not being a
reality, it cannot be realized in experience. Divine truth is best known by its spiritual flavor.

The eternal quest is for unification, for divine coherence. The far-flung physical universe coheres in the Isle of Paradise; the intellectual universe coheres in the God of mind, the Conjoint Actor; the spiritual universe is coherent in the personality of the Eternal Son. But the isolated mortal of time and space coheres in God the Father through the direct relationship between the indwelling Thought Adjuster and the Universal Father. Man's Adjuster is a fragment of God and everlastingly seeks for divine unification; it coheres with, and in, the Paradise Deity of the First Source and Center.

The discernment of supreme beauty is the discovery and integration of reality: The discernment of the divine goodness in the eternal truth, that is ultimate beauty. Even the charm of human art consists in the harmony of its unity.

The great mistake of the Hebrew religion was its failure to associate the goodness of God with the factual truths of science and the appealing beauty of art. As civilization progressed, and since religion continued to pursue the same unwise course of overemphasizing the goodness of God to the relative exclusion of truth and neglect of beauty, there developed an increasing tendency for certain types of men to turn away from the abstract and dissociated concept of isolated goodness. The overstressed and isolated morality of modern religion, which fails to hold the devotion and loyalty of many twentieth-century men, would rehabilitate itself if, in addition to its moral mandates, it would give equal consideration to the truths of science, philosophy, and spiritual experience, and to the beauties of the physical creation, the charm of intellectual art, and the grandeur of genuine character achievement.

The religious challenge of this age is to those farseeing and forward-looking men and women of spiritual insight who will dare to construct a new and appealing philosophy of living out of the enlarged and exquisitely integrated modern concepts of cosmic truth, universe beauty, and divine goodness. Such a new and righteous vision of morality will attract all that is good in the mind of man and challenge that which is best in the human soul. Truth, beauty, and goodness aredivine realities, and as man ascends the scale of spiritual living, these supreme qualities of the Eternal become increasingly co-ordinated and unified in God, who is love.

All truth--material, philosophic, or spiritual--is both beautiful and good. All real beauty--material art or spiritual symmetry--is both true and good. All genuine goodness--whether personal morality, social equity, or divine ministry--is equally true and beautiful. Health, sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty, and goodness as they are blended in human experience. Such levels of efficient living come about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit systems.

Truth is coherent, beauty attractive, goodness stabilizing.
And when these values of that which is real are co-ordinated in personality experience, the result is a high order of love conditioned by wisdom and qualified by loyalty. The real purpose of all universe education is to effect the better co-ordination of the isolated child of the worlds with the larger realities of his expanding experience.
Reality is finite on the human level, infinite and eternal on the higher and divine levels.

[Presented by a Divine Counselor acting by authority of the Ancients of Days on Uversa.]

LOVE.
Alina.

Edited by Alina, 02 December 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#16 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

To me faith is not enough.
Without removing his trascental importance, taking into account the definition we have
the revelations of which are so closely related.
Faith is the foundation upon which we then build our destiny.
There are much to do!
It would be very comfortable and easy to us that with faith and everything was done but we know we must make many changes in our ideas and life.
We know,because it is vast information and also the teachings in UB

Revelations is more than sufficient, but must be accompanied by the growing realization.
Of course there are still human beings to which only to have the possibility of faith because they are in a stage of evolution that still not enables them to understand anything else.(is generally believed that faith, we know the difference)
But we consciously or unconsciously have assumed many responsibilities.
A greater knowledge, greater accountability,I think so

Faith-confidence,it is clear on the concept of our Blue Book is essential,as well as loyalty, morality, ethics and many other values which form the mass of our evolutionary level.
Without certain values, any attempt would be inefficient growth.
As well we have disasters of materialism, intellectualism, prejudice, and many other human deficiencies that are the real stones on the way up.To reach spiritually discerned.
Feel that with faith and without any genuine effort to overcome could stay very quiet?
We could make the attempt to unify our personality? among other things.

Greetings Alina,

I'm guessing that the discrepancies in language have once again attributed to misunderstanding. Not a problem.

I wrote: "Therefore, is not faith all we need to embark on the true religion of living love?"

The word "embark" means to start out, to begin, para comenzar. Once we enter the kingdom of heaven, we are obliged to provide the conditions for spiritual growth. God will do the necessary pruning and cleansing to insure fruit production.

Machiaventa gave us the third revelation of truth on Urantia and taught: "You shall not doubt that faith is the only requirement for eternal salvation." 1017:10

Jesus gave us the fourth revelation of truth on Urantia and taught: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit. The vine is pruned only to increase the fruitfulness of its branches. Every branch coming out of me which bears no fruit, the Father will take away. Every branch which bears fruit, the Father will cleanse that it may bear more fruit." 1945:04

Have you ever wondered why Jesus said "requires of me" rather than "requires of you"? The answer lies in the concept of living faith.

100.3.7 Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual. Love thus grows; it cannot be created, manufactured, or purchased; it must grow. Evolution is a cosmic technique of growth. Social growth cannot be secured by legislation, and moral growth is not had by improved administration. Man may manufacture a machine, but its real value must be derived from human culture and personal appreciation. Man’s sole contribution to growth is the mobilization of the total powers of his personality — living faith.

Edited by Bonita, 02 December 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#17 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

...The Universal Father never imposes any form of arbitrary recognition, formal worship, or slavish service upon the intelligent will creatures of the universes. The evolutionary inhabitants of the worlds of time and space must of themselves--in their own hearts--recognize, love, and voluntarily worship him. The Creator refuses to coerce or compel the submission of the spiritual free wills of his material creatures. The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father's will is man's choicest gift to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man's only possible gift of true value to the Paradise Father. In God, man lives, moves, and has his being; there is nothing which man can give to God except this choosing to abide by the Father's will, and such decisions, effected by the intelligent will creatures of the universes, constitute the reality of that true worship which is so satisfying to the love-dominated nature of the Creator Father....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in Paper One of The Urantia Book - p22

#18 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi Bonita and Rick!
Thanks all.

Of course Bonita, I said that faith is the most important.
Without faith there is no purpose, we would not even write here
in this forum.
What does us move? What makes us need to communicate?
Living faith and therefore active.We want to share, transmit, serve.And LOVE
This I have mentioned as the most important,essential.
We must also bring to everyday life all that we extract from the UB
Faith is the base.Fundamental.
Can we build a building without foundation, with the risk that
collapse?
No, of course. Well, that is the faith.
Is above belief, because faith comes from the hand of the revelation (remember the faith and belief that we wrote some time ago).
La faith calls us to do, belief is more linked all dogma, at ease.
Then Bonita, of course we requires Jesús.
He, ours Dear Master invites us to follow his teachings.
He was always active,but...

He was not a militant revolutionist; he was a progressive evolutionist. He engaged in the destruction of that which was only when he simultaneously offered his fellows the superior thing which ought to be.

Page 1672-On this same occasion the Master talked to the group about the desirability of possessing well-balanced characters. He recognized that it was necessary for most men to devote themselves to the mastery of
some vocation, but he deplored all tendency toward overspecialization, toward becoming narrow-minded and circumscribed in life's activities.

He called attention to the fact that any virtue, if carried to extremes, may become a vice. Jesus always preached temperance and taught consistency--proportionate adjustment of life problems. He pointed out that overmuch sympathy and pity may degenerate into serious emotional instability; that enthusiasm may drive on into fanaticism. He discussed one of their former associates whose imagination had led him off into visionary and impractical undertakings. At the same time he warned them against the dangers of the dullness of overconservative mediocrity.

And then Jesus discoursed on the dangers of courage and faith, how they sometimes lead unthinking souls on to recklessness and presumption. He also showed how prudence and discretion, when carried too far, lead to cowardice and failure. He exhorted his hearers to strive for originality while they shunned all tendency toward eccentricity. He pleaded for sympathy without sentimentality, piety without sanctimoniousness. He taught reverence free from fear and superstition.

Page 1674- It was not so much what Jesus taught about the balanced character that impressed his associates as the fact that his own life was such an eloquent exemplification of his teaching. He lived in the midst of stress and storm, but he never wavered. His enemies continually laid snares for him, but they never entrapped him. The wise and learned endeavored to trip him, but he did not stumble. They sought to embroil him in debate, but his answers were always enlightening, dignified, and final. When he was interrupted in his discourses with multitudinous questions, his answers were always significant and conclusive. Never did he resort to ignoble tactics in meeting the continuous pressure of his enemies, who did not hesitate to employ every sort of false, unfair, and unrighteous mode of attack upon him.

While it is true that many men and women must assiduously apply themselves to some definite pursuit as a livelihood vocation, it is nevertheless wholly desirable that human beings should cultivate a wide range of cultural familiarity with life as it is lived on earth. Truly educated persons are not satisfied with remaining in ignorance of the lives and doings of their fellows.

At one moment I going put in Quotes with Art a imagen and "What is loyalty?"p.435
This also helps in our understanding

Well, in summary this is what I wanted to express in my previous post.
I hope you understand. Otherwise tell me. All right?

LOVE.
Alina.

Edited by Alina, 03 December 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#19 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Rick, all,

In "LESSONS FROM THE CROSS" we read that Jesus ". . . made the cross an eternal symbol of the triumph of love over hate and the victory of truth over evil . . . ." He lay down his life for his enemies! Such a love had never been known on earth!

The triumph of the death on the cross is all summed up in the spirit of Jesus' attitude toward those who assailed him. He made the cross an eternal symbol of the triumph of love over hate and the victory of truth over evil when he prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." That devotion of love was contagious throughout a vast universe; the disciples caught it from their Master. The very first teacher of his gospel who was called upon to lay down his life in this service, said, as they stoned him to death, "Lay not this sin to their charge."

The cross makes a supreme appeal to the best in man because it discloses one who was willing to lay down his life in the service of his fellow men. Greater love no man can have than this: that he would be willing to lay down his life for his friends--and Jesus had such a love that he was willing to lay down his life for his enemies, a love greater than any which had hitherto been known on earth.
(2018 - 19)

Meredith

...The Universal Father never imposes any form of arbitrary recognition, formal worship, or slavish service upon the intelligent will creatures of the universes. The evolutionary inhabitants of the worlds of time and space must of themselves--in their own hearts--recognize, love, and voluntarily worship him. The Creator refuses to coerce or compel the submission of the spiritual free wills of his material creatures. The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father's will is man's choicest gift to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man's only possible gift of true value to the Paradise Father. In God, man lives, moves, and has his being; there is nothing which man can give to God except this choosing to abide by the Father's will, and such decisions, effected by the intelligent will creatures of the universes, constitute the reality of that true worship which is so satisfying to the love-dominated nature of the Creator Father....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Foreword of The Urantia Book - p22

#20 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Wonderful quote, Rick!
Thank you.

...Rick Warren @ Dec 3 2009, 02:20 AM)
The Universal Father never imposes any form of arbitrary recognition, formal worship, or slavish service upon the intelligent will creatures of the universes. The evolutionary inhabitants of the worlds of time and space must of themselves--in their own hearts--recognize, love, and voluntarily worship him. The Creator refuses to coerce or compel the submission of the spiritual free wills of his material creatures. The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father's will is man's choicest to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man's only possible of true value to the Paradise Father. In God, man lives, moves, and has his being; there is nothing which man can give to God except this choosing to abide by the Father's will, and such decisions, effected by the intelligent will creatures of the universes, constitute the reality of that true worship which is so satisfying to the love-dominated nature of the Creator Father....

Authored by a Divine Counselor in The Foreword of The Urantia Book - p22

THE LOVE OF GOD.

Page 39/40

"God is love"; therefore his only personal attitude towards the affairs of the universe is always a reaction of divine affection. The Father loves us sufficiently
to bestow his life upon us. "He makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

It is wrong to think of God as being coaxed into loving his children because of the sacrifices of his Sons or the intercession of his subordinate creatures, "for the Father himself loves you." It is in response to this paternal affection that God sends the marvelous Adjusters to indwell the minds of men. God's love is universal; "whosoever will may come." He would "have all men be saved by coming into the knowledge of the truth." He is "not willing that any should perish."

The Creators are the very first to attempt to save man from the disastrous results of his foolish transgression of the divine laws. God's love is by nature a fatherly affection; therefore does he sometimes "chasten us for our own profit, that we may be partakers of his holiness." Even during your fiery trials remember that "in all our afflictions he is afflicted with us."

God is divinely kind to sinners. When rebels return to righteousness, they are mercifully received, "for our God will abundantly pardon." "I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins." "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God."

After all, the greatest evidence of the goodness of God and the supreme reason for loving him is the indwelling gift of the Father--the Adjuster who so patiently awaits the hour when you both shall be eternally made one. Though you cannot find God by searching, if you will submit to the leading of the indwelling spirit, you will be unerringly guided, step by step, life by life, through universe upon universe, and age by age, until you finally stand in the presence of the Paradise personality of the Universal Father.

How unreasonable that you should not worship God because the limitations of human nature and the handicaps of your material creation make it impossible for you to see him. Between you and God there is a tremendous distance (physical space) to be traversed. There likewise exists a great gulf of spiritual differential which must be bridged; but notwithstanding all that physically and spiritually separates you from the Paradise personal presence of God, stop and ponder the solemn fact that God lives within you; he has in his own way already bridged the gulf. He has sent of himself, his spirit, to live in you and to toil with you as you pursue your eternal universe career.

I find it easy and pleasant to worship one who is so great and at the same time so affectionately devoted to the uplifting ministry of his lowly creatures. I naturally love one who is so powerful in creation and in the control thereof, and yet who is so perfect in goodness and so faithful in the loving-kindness which constantly overshadows us. I think I would love God just as much if he were not so great and powerful, as long as he is so good and merciful. We all love the Father more because of his nature than in recognition of his amazing attributes.

When I observe the Creator Sons and their subordinate administrators struggling so valiantly with the manifold difficulties of time inherent in the evolution of the universes of space, I discover that I bear these lesser rulers of the universes a great and profound affection. After all, I think we all, including the mortals of the realms, love the Universal Father and all other beings, divine or human, because we discern that these personalities truly love us. The experience of loving is very much a direct response to the experience of being loved. Knowing
that God loves me, I should continue to love him supremely, even though he were divested of all his attributes of supremacy, ultimacy, and absoluteness.

The Father's love follows us now and throughout the endless circle of the eternal ages. As you ponder the loving nature of God, there is only one reasonable and natural personality reaction thereto: You will increasingly love your Maker; you will yield to God an affection analogous to that given by a child to an earthly parent; for, as a father, a real father, a true father, loves his children, so the Universal Father loves and forever seeks the welfare of his created sons and daughters.

But the love of God is an intelligent and farseeing parental affection. The divine love functions in unified association with divine wisdom and all other infinite characteristics of the perfect nature of the Universal Father. God is love, but love is not God. The greatest manifestation of the divine love for mortal beings is observed in the bestowal of the Thought Adjusters, but your greatest revelation of the Father's love is seen in the bestowal life of his Son Michael as he lived on earth the ideal spiritual life. It is the indwelling Adjuster who individualizes the love of God to each human soul.

At times I am almost pained to be compelled to portray the divine affection of the heavenly Father for his universe children by the employment of the human word symbol love. This term, even though it does connote man's highest concept of the mortal relations of respect and devotion, is so frequently designative of so much of human relationship that is wholly ignoble and utterly unfit to be known by any word which is also used to indicate the matchless affection of the living God for his universe creatures! How unfortunate that I cannot make use of some supernal and exclusive term which would convey to the mind of man the true nature and exquisitely beautiful significance of the divine affection of the Paradise Father.

When man loses sight of the love of a personal God, the kingdom of God becomes merely the kingdom of good. Notwithstanding the infinite unity of the divine nature, love is the dominant characteristic of all God's personal dealings with his creatures.

Greetings,
Alina.

Edited by Alina, 03 December 2009 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users