#1 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

For students of the Urantia Book who prefer structured study,

Urantia Book Internet School offers a year round cirriculum with a variety of classes.

From UBIS frontpage:

Welcome!

The Urantia Book Internet School was founded by the Urantia Foundation in 1999, and as such is an Educational Outreach service of the Foundation, provided to facilitate the in-depth study of The Urantia Book. The Urantia Book Internet School is envisioned as a means to help students from all over the world study THE URANTIA BOOK in an electronic setting that frees the students from the constraints of distance, timetables, and physical presence. Courses are given in class sizes of 15 to 20 students under the guidance of an experienced teacher/facilitator using the "Questions and Response" technique.

Guiding Principles that govern the Urantia Book Internet School are:

• Study courses will be designed to advance and expand the comprehension of The Urantia Book. The only text for the courses is The Urantia Book.
  • Teacher/Facilitators will follow the written guidelines of the UBIS format and pedagogy. Interpretation of the text is, and always will be, a part of the personal experience of the individual reader. The UBIS, in honoring this, is pledged to a non-interpretive approach in all its methods.
  • Student/readers will follow the requirements of participation as set forth on the "About UBIS" page.
  • The UBIS fosters the concept that experience is a very good teacher. Therefore, all T/Fs will first become experienced students.
  • In all other aspects of the UBIS, it is to be remembered that this is first and formost a service to others.This service, in order to be good must be effective. To be effective, it must be attractive, and therefore gracious. [UB p.1874] Goodwill and the promotion of Brotherhood is a guiding principle of the UBIS.

Please go to Urantia Book Internet School website to see the course schedule.

Next session begins Sept 7, 2009

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

A Recect Invitation from Dorothy Elders, dean emeritus of UBIS:

Dear All,

Registration is currently going on for the Urantia Book Internet School April 2011 Semester, and we invite you to come and join with readers around the world in study and fellowship. Registration takes place on the UBIS website: www.urantiabookschool.org and will end on Sunday, April 17. Courses begin on Monday, April 18.

Here is the Schedule of Courses

COURSE TITLE: Discourses and Sermons of Jesus
PAPERS: 140, 144, 148, 155

COURSE DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this course is to stimulate contemplation and promote insight through discussion of the treasures of wisdom that the Master imparted in these sermons and discourses, and to inspire us to incorporate these teachings into our daily lives.

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Mary Steigerwald
Mary Steigerwald lives in the mountains of northern New Mexico. She is an artist and maintains a small wilderness retreat center. She has been studying The Urantia Book for 20 years.

COURSE TITLE: A study of Urantia's human government.
PAPERS: 69, 70, 71, 72

COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is a study of Urantia's human government -- its origin, evolution and destiny. Beginning with primitive human institutions, we will further study their development and then consider how they may be improved upon now and in the future, in light of the teachings of The Urantia Book.

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Olga Lopez
Olga lives near Barcelona, Spain. She works as a computer analyst and holds two degrees: one in Computer Science, one in Philosophy. Olga is married and has two teenage daughters. She has been a reader since 1995 and has been hosting a study group at her home since 2004.

COURSE TITLE: The Thought Adjusters

PAPERS: 107, 108, 109, 110, 111

COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is a study of the greatest gift to mortal creatures: an actual fragment of our Universal Father who comes to indwell our minds as the Thought Adjuster. Through study and discussion, we will the explore their origin, nature, mission, and ministry, as well as their relationship to us and how we can better attune to them.

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Jane Ploetz

Jane was introduced to The Urantia Book in 1979 by her husband, and has been devoted to both ever since. In addition to teaching many workshops on various aspects of the book, Jane was a teacher in a California public magnet school for the arts for fourteen years. She now teaches piano to adult students.

COURSE TITLE: The Morontia Experience
PAPERS: 111, 112, 47, 48

COURSE DESCRIPTION: In this course we will begin with the inception and development of the potential morontia soul, and the continued survival of the personality. Then we will discover what our next life will be like after this world, exploring the education and amazing adventures we will have during our morontia life.

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Michelle Kaiser
Michelle lives in Colorado with her husband and 11 year old daughter. She was introduced to The Urantia Book in 2003. She works as a Nurse Practitioner and teaches meditation.

COURSE TITLE: "Be you perfect as I am perfect"
PAPERS: 1, 3, 5,

COURSE DESCRIPTION: This is the divine command from God to his universe creatures of time and space. In order to make it possible for his children to become perfect, God has prepared a three level of reality approach to his Paradise Personality, which we will explore throughout this course.

TEACHER/FACILITATOR : Georges Michelson Dupont

Georges is from France and lives close to Paris. He is married and has 2 daughters. He and his wife are retired businesspersons. Both are long-time readers of The Urantia Book and conduct many Urantian activities.

We hope that many of you will join us this semester.

In friendship, Dorothy Elder

Urantia Book Internet School

#3 tnecktom

tnecktom

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Good Sunday morning!

I recently completed a UBIS course, my instructor/facilitator was Olga Lopez. I have been reading the UB since 1972 and thoroughly enjoyed the course of study.

I am interested in applying for a instructor/facilitator position come the fall semester if there are openings available. I would like some information regarding the process and the support provided by the UBIS administration.

Thank you for your service to the Brotherhood of the Sons and Daughters of GOD on Urantia!

Sincerely,

Tom Hansen
718 892 0632
Bronx, NY

#4 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hi Tom, Forum Friends,

Below is the latest invitation from UBIS, with links and teacher comment.

~ The Urantia Book Internet School – UBIS will soon be taking registrations for the coming semester.

Registration for the September 2011 Trimester begins on September 5th on the UBIS website.

Please go to http://www.urantiabookschool.org to apply for registration starting on September 5th. The registration page will not be available until this date. A Registration Confirmation Notice will be sent to you containing the additional information needed for student participation. You will be contacted if for some reason your application can not be accepted. Registration ends on Sunday, September 18th. Courses begin on Monday, September 19th.

Due to the high demand for enrollment in our internet classes and the limited placement availability we ask that - before registering - you ensure enough time to complete the course. Each course runs ten weeks and requires a minimum of eight hours per week.

COURSE TITLE: The Way, the Truth, and the Life: A Focus on Michael, Urantia's Master Son

COURSE DESCRIPTION: We will study the origin and role of Urantia's Michael Son, his elevation from self-limited rulership to his experiential supremacy of self-earned sovereignty, and the significance of this to Urantia and all of Nebadon.

PAPERS: 7, 21, 119, and 180

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Pam Maunakea

Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii, Pam moved to Southern California to attend college in 1973. She has two grown children, a son and a daughter, and has been a reader of The Urantia Book since 1970. Pam discovered the Urantia Book Internet School in 2000 and has been involved in its activities ever since.

COURSE TITLE: The Post Bestowal Age on Urantia: A Perspective

COURSE DESCRIPTION: The Post Bestowal Age on Urantia is totally unique, intriguing, and challenging, as our world is out of step with the normal order of planetary mortal epochs. The purpose of this course is to discern the keys in the four papers we will study that may contribute to, and culminate in, an illuminating perspective of Urantia's Post Bestowal Age.

PAPERS: 52, 92, 103, and 195

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Dorothy Elder

Dorothy lives in Los Angeles, California and has been a reader of The Urantia Book since 1968. She has two children and three grandchildren. Dorothy is a retired teacher and enjoys her work with the Urantia Book Internet School. She served as its Director from 1998 to October 2010.

COURSE TITLE: Michael's Seven Bestowals: Revealing the Will of the Supreme

COURSE DESCRIPTION: We will undertake an examination of Michael's seven bestowals as they respond to the wills of the Paradise Deities, reflect the varying natures of the Seven Master Spirits, and reveal the will of the Supreme.

PAPERS: 10, 16, 119, and 117

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: David Elders

David has been a reader of The Urantia Book since 1970. David and his wife, Marta, are lifelong residents of Connecticut and have been married for 45 years. They have two grown married sons and five grandchildren.

COURSE TITLE The Lucifer Rebellion-Tragedy and Triumph

Course Description: This course will explore the causative factors, the repercussions, and the gradual resolution of the Lucifer Rebellion, why it was allowed to run its course, and the ultimate Triumph of God's Plan.

PAPERS: 66, 67, 53, and 54

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Virginia (Ginger) Heller

Ginger lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and has been a reader of The Urantia Book since 1973. She has four children and has degrees in the Fine Arts, Biology, Social Work, and Medicine. Ginger is a practicing Psychiatrist and speaks Spanish as a second language.

COURSE TITLE: Personality: A Unique Gift from God

COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is an in-depth study of what personality is and where it comes from; of defining personality by its attributes and how it functions; a fascinating probe into the realities of eternal individuality. A good knowledge of The Urantia Book is helpful.

Selected Papers: The Forward-section I, Paper 1, sections of Papers 12 and 16, and Papers 56 and 112

TEACHER/FACILITATOR: Ray Gardini

Formerly a small business entrepreneur, Ray is retired and lives in Akron, Ohio. He attended Borromeo Seminary, graduated from John Carroll University, and studied at the L'Universite de Montpellier. Ray has been a reader of The Urantia Book for over 25 years.

UBIS - My Lifeline to the Urantia Book Community

Date: Wed, 06/29/2011
By Pam Maunakea, San Dimas, California, USA

Thirty years passed between my introduction to The Urantia Book in 1970 and the day I discovered the Urantia Book Internet School (UBIS) online in 2000. During that time, I read the book three times from front to back. Family and friends were not interested. Study groups were too far away, and raising two young children made it difficult to begin one at my home. I felt isolated and alone studying The Urantia Book by myself.

UBIS became my lifeline to other Urantia Book readers, other like-minded truth seekers. I took a course almost every semester. Then in 2006, I was invited to take the Teacher Training course to become a Teacher/ Facilitator. I was in shock, and waves of doubt swept over me. I was still a learner; this was such a huge responsibility. Was I ready for it? It was a leap of faith that got me over this short period of indecision and awe.

After the five-week teacher training period, I was asked to teach/ facilitate a course the following semester in April 2007. I thought that taking a 10-week course as a student deepened my understanding of the teachings of The Urantia Book, but developing a course did so ten times over! I was assigned a mentor, an experienced teacher/ facilitator, who guided me every step of the way. It was one-on-one for weeks of delving into a thematic topic of my choice. It was intense and enlightening to have a mentor.

My experience as a teacher/ facilitator was great! The “pre-course” week was fun and amazing. I met, over “cyberspace,” readers from all over the world. There was a reader from Africa who had to walk to an internet cafe to participate. A reader from the Middle East had to be discreet for fear of causing problems for family members. I’ve met readers from Russia, Cyprus, Brazil, New Zealand and, of course, from the United States.

Shortly after facilitating my first course, I was invited to serve as a member on the UBIS board of directors. I participated in their meetings and was assigned various tasks. I was able to experience the workings of UBIS from the other side of the “classroom.” Knowing all the work that had to be accomplished before these courses could be offered online, I became a better student. I was beginning to realize that participating in various aspects of UBIS was deepening my understanding of the papers.

As a board member of UBIS, I was also asked to serve on the Course Review Committee (CRC). This task requires a short and intense study into two to three different courses that are being prepared by other teacher/ facilitators. Three members review these courses and make revisions if necessary. Time is required to sit and reread two to three papers in order to provide informed critiques. The interaction with the other reviewers was educational in itself.

UBIS has provided me a lifeline to other readers. Being involved as a student, as a teacher/ facilitator, as a staff member, and as a CRC member, has provided me multiple perspectives of this program dedicated to enlightening the people of this planet. What an honor and adventure it is to be involved with UBIS!

Source: Urantia Foundation News Online: http://www.urantia.o...-book-community

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users