85 replies to this topic

#81 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

Say Ted, you bring up some really swell topics for discussion, especially the whole inequality thing. It seems as though the world is very much focused on that right now, almost mesmerized by it. I think it serves as a consciousness elevator if we collectively can find the proper attitude towards this. It seems as though the world's understanding of providence has not changed much from the days of Job, huh?

I'll just briefly say that I learned long ago that what we perceive as inequalities are mostly on the surface. We are very, very equal in the eyes of God. We spend far too much time focusing on inadequacies when we should be focusing on truth, beauty and goodness. You have to look for it to find it. If people are busy looking for error, then that's what they'll find. People just do not know how to get past the outward visuals in order to perceive the inner person who is wealthy beyond measure. Most people are trapped by their own attitudes learned from those around them in high and low places. It's an attitude shift that is necessary to make this world turn the corner into the next age. We need enthusiastic optimism concerning one another. It's not pollyanna; it's real.

God often puts us in positions of darkness so our light will shine all the brighter, hoping others will be attracted to it. Those who know they are inner lit need to let it shine courageously in this dark world. That is really what service is all about. If they come, thank God. If they run further into the darkness, pray to God. It's really his work in the end.

130.2.4 One of the young men who worked with Jesus one day on the steering paddle became much interested in the words which he dropped from hour to hour as they toiled in the shipyard. When Jesus intimated that the Father in heaven was interested in the welfare of his children on earth, this young Greek, Anaxand, said: “If the Gods are interested in me, then why do they not remove the cruel and unjust foreman of this workshop?” He was startled when Jesus replied, “Since you know the ways of kindness and value justice, perhaps the Gods have brought this erring man near that you may lead him into this better way. Maybe you are the salt which is to make this brother more agreeable to all other men; that is, if you have not lost your savor. As it is, this man is your master in that his evil ways unfavorably influence you. Why not assert your mastery of evil by virtue of the power of goodness and thus become the master of all relations between the two of you? I predict that the good in you could overcome the evil in him if you gave it a fair and living chance. There is no adventure in the course of mortal existence more enthralling than to enjoy the exhilaration of becoming the material life partner with spiritual energy and divine truth in one of their triumphant struggles with error and evil. It is a marvelous and transforming experience to become the living channel of spiritual light to the mortal who sits in spiritual darkness. If you are more blessed with truth than is this man, his need should challenge you. Surely you are not the coward who could stand by on the seashore and watch a fellow man who could not swim perish! How much more of value is this man’s soul floundering in darkness compared to his body drowning in water!”

If we fail to attract others, I think God's answer would be, "Bear more fruit!" I don't think we should worry so much about other people's lack of "heart", but instead work harder on developing our own. You can't turn another's heart in any other way. They have to be attracted to the goodness in yours sometimes in order to discover the goodness in their own.

I'd say each person is responsible for changing their own attitude towards those who are selfish or lack heart. We should stop focusing on other's hearts and worry about our own. Otherwise we might fall into brooding, indecision, procrastination, equivocation, doubt, insincerity, problem avoidance, vengeful thinking or retreat and ease seeking. And you know how I feel about those things . . . just sayin'. I'm convinced that when it comes to others we are insufficient judges in determining what is selfish and what is not. We may see an activity as selfish when it may not be. When we are able to know another's motives fully, then we can say, but never for sure. Until then, we can only observe and question, but never judge.

#82 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Religion. Music. Blues, Classic R&B and Gospel in particular.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I agree in part. However, I also know this is an evolutionary world, in receivership since the Lucifer rebellion, where evil exists so as to illuminate good, etc. A world where Jesus was crucified for opposing the establishment (and many martyrs since) including many of the Apostles, where many of the Popes were corrupt, where both Hitler and Stalin executed millions, is a world today, where even though political freedom ostensibly work in many countries, there are still vast economic, social, health, and wealth distribution problems within those countries, etc. etc.

Understanding and acknowledging finite life on our planet, along with an understanding and faith in all things spiritual, must inevitably lead any believer to lean on their faith In God to both face tribulation here, and to hope for life In God in the hereafter. I have found through personal experience, that as Jesus promised, he will be with you in the tribulations. If I have that benefit, I can only wonder about the pain that those in spiritual darkness suffer.

I'm not judging, only measuring others' pain and its concomitant effects on them, and analyzing their resultant behavior, without judgment. I believe that this is what the mission of mercy of Jesus was all about; a way to bear this world's pain (and spread his word) through faith, through the promise of an eternal life to which he showed the way.

If this analysis wasn't such a deep issue, Jesus wouldn't have tried over and over to explain it. As he told the Apostles, I can't save you from the persecutions and evil of this world, but I will be with you through it all. In another part he mentioned how future people who didn't have the chance to see him personally would be exalted for their faith. Also Agondonters are mentioned.

Jesus made this distinction:

page 1469: "'Ganid, I can well understand how some of these problems perplex you, and I will endeavor to answer your question. First, in all attacks which might be made upon my person, I would determine whether or not the aggressor was a son of God--my brother in the flesh--and if I thought such a creature did not possess moral judgment and spiritual reason, I would unhesitatingly defend myself to the full capacity of my powers of resistance, regardless of consequences to the attacker. But I would not thus assault a fellow man of sonship status, even in self-defense. That is, I would not punish him in advance and without judgment for his assault upon me. I would by every possible artifice seek to prevent and dissuade him from making such an attack and to mitigate it in case of my failure
to abort it.

This quote lends itself to the analysis, in real time. Jesus was making such an analysis as to how to treat a believer from a non believer when attacked. As in all his his analyses, this was his way on illustrating a point for mortals. When actually arrested, he did not resist, as he had a more important spiritual mission for himself. He also taught love and forgiveness for enemies.

The issue here is that we have to make distinctions, not for judgment necessarily but for living.

Edited by Teobeck, 07 December 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#83 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

This quote lends itself to the analysis, in real time. Jesus was making such an analysis as to how to treat a believer from a non believer when attacked. As in all his his analyses, this was his way on illustrating a point for mortals. When actually arrested, he did not resist, as he had a more important spiritual mission for himself. He also taught love and forgiveness for enemies.

The issue here is that we have to make distinctions, not for judgment necessarily but for living.

Yes, Jesus made distinctions but he never made judgments. His distinctions were decisions, based on wisdom, which is enlightened experience. He had to decide whether or not to come to a person's defense, whether or not to come to his own defense. He made distinctions between truth seekers and non-truth seekers in order to decide whether to teach or not teach. In fact, he walked away from Annas and from many other individuals whom he perceived to be uninterested in truth. He never pushed himself on anyone.

142.0.2 When Jesus perceived Annas’s coldness, he took immediate leave, saying as he departed: “Fear is man’s chief enslaver and pride his great weakness; will you betray yourself into bondage to both of these destroyers of joy and liberty?” But Annas made no reply. The Master did not again see Annas until the time when he sat with his son-in-law in judgment on the Son of Man.

132:7.1-2 They had casually met a thoughtless pagan while on their journey up to the lakes, and Ganid was surprised that Jesus did not follow out his usual practice of enlisting the man in conversation which would naturally lead up to the discussion of spiritual questions. When Ganid asked his teacher why he evinced so little interest in this pagan, Jesus answered: "Ganid, the man was not hungry for truth."

The lesson I take away from this is that I have no responsibility toward people who are indifferent. I simply have to be who I am. I can walk away from darkness if I choose to. Jesus certainly did. We are told to whet the appetite of others by giving advice only when it's asked for, which tells me that I'm not required to go about preaching and teaching either.

48.7.16 14. Whet the appetites of your associates for truth; give advice only when it is asked for.

Even though you didn't ask for my advice, I want to say that if you feel that it is necessary to dwell on the evil in this world, to relive the wars and slaughters from the past, to think incessantly about injustice, then go right ahead. But if you do, you just might miss the truth, beauty and goodness right in front of your face. There is far more goodness in this world than evil.

195.5.12 As you view the world, remember that the black patches of evil which you see are shown against a white background of ultimate good. You do not view merely white patches of good which show up miserably against a black background of evil.

Wars serve purposes. Who are we to judge the evolution of civilization and why such animalistic behaviors are allowed to play themselves out while the gods stand by and watch our seemingly hopeless stupidity. Mankind is supposed to learn by making stupid mistakes. These mistakes don't have to rise to the level of mass murders, plagues, famines, greed, human abuse and all other manner of evil, but they do on this world. It's a fact that we must learn to accept. Jesus accepted it. He never tried to tell the Romans how to govern, who to punish and who to reward. God cannot intervene in such things and Creators never sit in judgment on their creatures. We have to learn how to fix these problems on our own.

p372:06 33.7.1 Creators never sit in judgment on their creatures; that is the exclusive function of creatures of high training and actual creature experience.

Eventually we will come to the conclusion, as a global civilization, that these things are too beastly to tolerate any longer. This world is very, very, very, very far from that point, however. Think about it. A 14 year old hit man for the Mexican drug cartel was just arrested for multiple beheadings. Here's a child who is functioning at below the animal level. How many more are there out there? I'm guessing plenty. Evolution is a messy and uneven process but we must allow it to happen and not become discouraged by it.

196.3.30 Be not discouraged; human evolution is still in progress, and the revelation of God to the world, in and through Jesus, shall not fail.

Our ideas of fairness are warped. We think we have inalienable rights on this world, but we don't. We only have a right to attempt a life on a troubled world, an opportunity to start the process of becoming like God and to build a civilization which allows that to happen. That's it. We have to do that by ourselves and each person must begin with him/herself.

70:9.1 Nature confers no rights on man, only life and a world in which to live it. Nature does not even confer the right to live, as might be deduced by considering what would likely happen if an unarmed man met a hungry tiger face to face in the primitive forest. Society's prime gift to man is security.

70:9.6 The weak and the inferior have always contended for equal rights; they have always insisted that the state compel the strong and superior to supply their wants and otherwise make good those deficiencies which all too often are the natural result of their own indifference and indolence.

70:9.7 But this equality ideal is the child of civilization; it is not found in nature. Even culture itself demonstrates conclusively the inherent inequality of men by their very unequal capacity therefor. The sudden and nonevolutionary realization of supposed natural equality would quickly throw civilized man back to the crude usages of primitive ages. Society cannot offer equal rights to all, but it can promise to administer the varying rights of each with fairness and equity. It is the business and duty of society to provide the child of nature with a fair and peaceful opportunity to pursue self-maintenance, participate in self-perpetuation, while at the same time enjoying some measure of self-gratification, the sum of all three constituting human happiness.

70:10.1 Natural justice is a man-made theory; it is not a reality. In nature, justice is purely theoretic, wholly a fiction. Nature provides but one kind of justice—inevitable conformity of results to causes.

70:10.2 Justice, as conceived by man, means getting one's rights and has, therefore, been a matter of progressive evolution. The concept of justice may well be constitutive in a spirit-endowed mind, but it does not spring full-fledgedly into existence on the worlds of space.

#84 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Religion. Music. Blues, Classic R&B and Gospel in particular.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

I love these quotes you posted. I was originally just generally analyzing the effects of faith and growing spiritual knowledge on our finite life, not necessarily emphasizing injustice nor dwelling on evil (notwithstanding that they are difficult to ignore in the media). I do however love your inclusion of these quotes on nature having progressively evolved into social development and social justice. At least there is now a non violent framework allowing spiritual development, as compared to primitive times.

Sometimes I wonder how much we have evolved in the last 500 years since the Renaissance, other than technologically. Yes, we now have some democracies, and we are feeding our increased populations; more and more people are being educated, and medical science has made incredible strides. Yet, I wonder how far we have progressed towards light and life? Maybe a lot since we have progressed so far from primitive times.

The best consolation and hope, is for light and life:

196.3.30 Be not discouraged; human evolution is still in progress, and the revelation of God to the world, in and through Jesus, shall not fail.

#85 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

I'm very optimistic about our little world. I think the universe is too. And I do think we are making definite progress. Sometimes I think it is because the light of the world is getting brighter that the dark spots seem so much more evil. I don't think mankind is getting more evil but those incidents of evil seem uglier against the background of growing goodness. Evil is more visible now since the Spirit of Truth arrived, we are more troubled by it because we see the error in it more clearly with his help. The more repulsed we are by evil the better. The less we stand by and watch and the more we recognize the horror and turn from it or speak out against it, the better. But we can't blame fate or the devil for any of it because that is procrastination, equivocation, ease seeking, problem avoidance, etc., etc..

Yes, I do think we have made strong progress toward light and life with many retrogressions along the way. I think we are on the tail end of a mini-retrogression now that began last century and culminated in the "me generation". We are currently suffering from the effects of the "me generation" parenting which has produced a very, very confused generation of offspring. However, I believe that we are beginning to see a resurgence of true spirituality in the last few years and I'm hoping that it might be the beginning of a spiritual renaissance. It's up to us.

TUB tells us that we should look for these leaders and that they will come, so we live in hope. I also see an uptick in readership on this forum. Is that because more people are taking the time to read and have discovered the truth in TUB? Are more people suddenly searching for truth? Is this the seed of a renaissance? We should be ready!

170.5.19 Sooner or later another and greater John the baptist is due to arise proclaiming “the kingdom of God is at hand” — meaning a return to the high spiritual concept of Jesus, who proclaimed that the kingdom is the will of his heavenly Father dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer — and doing all this without in any way referring either to the visible church on earth or to the anticipated second coming of Christ. There must come a revival of the actual teachings of Jesus, such a restatement as will undo the work of his early followers who went about to create a sociophilosophical system of belief regarding the fact of Michael’s sojourn on earth. In a short time the teaching of this story about Jesus nearly supplanted the preaching of Jesus’ gospel of the kingdom. In this way a historical religion displaced that teaching in which Jesus had blended man’s highest moral ideas and spiritual ideals with man’s most sublime hope for the future — eternal life. And that was the gospel of the kingdom.

195.9.4 Religion does need new leaders, spiritual men and women who will dare to depend solely on Jesus and his incomparable teachings. If Christianity persists in neglecting its spiritual mission while it continues to busy itself with social and material problems, the spiritual renaissance must await the coming of these new teachers of Jesus’ religion who will be exclusively devoted to the spiritual regeneration of men. And then will these spirit-born souls quickly supply the leadership and inspiration requisite for the social, moral, economic, and political reorganization of the world.

195.10.17 Even secular education could help in this great spiritual renaissance if it would pay more attention to the work of teaching youth how to engage in life planning and character progression. The purpose of all education should be to foster and further the supreme purpose of life, the development of a majestic and well-balanced personality. There is great need for the teaching of moral discipline in the place of so much self-gratification. Upon such a foundation religion may contribute its spiritual incentive to the enlargement and enrichment of mortal life, even to the security and enhancement of life eternal.

#86 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I thought I would revitalize this thread in light of the new conversation about the Spirit of Truth and the Jesus "mind exchange". On page one, post 4, I offered a summarized compilation of everything I could find about the Spirit of Truth, if anyone is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users