#1 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

Forum Friends,

One of the many beauties of this new revelation is the grand detail of spiritual ministry we enjoy.

You may have known, even before studying the UB, the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth is connected with Pentecost and a guide that always points 'the way'. But how many aspects of this personal spiritual guide did Urantia know, pre-UB?

The Spirit of Truth is actually more than its name implies.

...Spiritual philosophy, the wisdom of spirit realities, is the endowment of the Spirit of Truth.... p.1108

"...The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty..." p.1732

...The new helper which Jesus promised to send into the hearts of believers, to pour out upon all flesh, is the Spirit of Truth. This divine endowment is not the letter or law of truth, neither is it to function as the form or expression of truth. The new teacher is the conviction of truth, the consciousness and assurance of true meanings on real spirit levels. And this new teacher is the spirit of living and growing truth, expanding, unfolding, and adaptative truth.... p.1949

...the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.... p1951

...The first mission of this spirit is, of course, to foster and personalize truth, for it is the comprehension of truth that constitutes the highest form of human liberty. Next, it is the purpose of this spirit to destroy the believer's feeling of orphanhood. Jesus having been among men, all believers would experience a sense of loneliness had not the Spirit of Truth come to dwell in men's hearts.... p.2060

...And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God.... p.2062

Comments welcome, Rick

Edited by Rick Warren, 09 August 2009 - 06:06 AM.

#2 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hi Rick,

Please forgive me for commenting a little bit off your subject: The Spirit of Truth, but also the quote I cite below adds a little to our understanding of the gifts that have been poured out upon us, including The Spirit of Truth, The Comforter.

I have been searching for this quote and I just now found it, page 95, as follows:

"There are many spiritual influences, and they are all as one. Even the work of the Thought Adjusters, though independent of all other influences, unvaryingly coincides with the spirit ministry of the combined influences of the Infinite Spirit and a local universe Mother Spirit. As these spiritual presences operate in the lives of Urantians, they cannot be segregated. In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit, notwithstanding their diverse origins. And as this united spiritual ministration is experienced, it becomes to you the influence of the Supreme, 'who is ever able to keep you from failing and to present you blameless before your Father on high.'"

I mention this to emphasize the statement, "As these spiritual presences operate in the lives of Urantians, they cannot be segregated." I am assuming The Spirit of Truth is included in these spiritual ministrations, along with the local universe Mother Spirit and all other unseen ministers and influences.

My understanding is that we mortals are unable to differentiate among the various and particular help we receive on a daily basis from these ministrations - the one from another - as they operate as one. But not only that, as they are experienced, it becomes to us the influence of the Supreme.

Cheers.

Forum Friends,

The Spirit of Truth is actually more than its name implies.

"...The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty...". p1732

...the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.... p1950

Jesus and the Midwayers gave us heretofore unknown revelations about this priceless gift from Michael!

TB&G2U, Rick

#3 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hi all,

Yes Meredith, and knowing they work as one is a comfort in itself isn't it?

Have you wondered if the thing humans call 'gut feeling' might be the SoT, or some aspect of it?

During worship I can sense the divine love in my heart and mind tho not certain of its exact source. But it can't, in retrospect at least, hurt to attempt to sort out the three major interior influences (and the Supreme) in accordance with the revealed teachings, even in this initial life, even on an isolated world! Studying and emulating God is all there is left to do once the Spiritual Father of the Universe is discovered.

In eternity, it appears we will know and commune with each person of Divinity or one of their agents. And know which is which as education and discernment are refined, until we actually meet each Godhead, face to face. What will it be like when the Supreme is complete? A Paradise day of jubilation maybe...

What caused me to post those two quotes was the fact that the seemingly unrelated concepts of beauty and 'loving contact' are integral parts of the Spirit of Truth. The authors of those quotes suggest Truth, beauty and love can be thought of as perfectly associated values, which harmonizes with Meredith's point that the spirit influences inside us, they are one.

TB&G2U~ Cheers! Rick

#4 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

It is literally true: "If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new." (1103:06)

Below is a partial list of information I have compiled over the years about the Spirit of Truth.

The Spirit of Truth:

1. Is designed to live in man (2060:06)
2. Restates the Jesus message to each new generation (2060:06)
3. Provides personal enlightenment and group guidance for solving spiritual difficulties (2060:06)
4. His first mission is to foster and personalize truth. (2061:00)
5. Is the spirit of both the Universal Father and Creator Son. (2061:01)
6. Never creates a consciousness of himself, only a consciousness of Michael. (2061:02)
7. Came to help men recall and understand the words of Jesus as well as to illuminate and reinterpret his life on earth. (p2061:3 194:2.5)
8. The term "baptism of the spirit" signifies the conscious reception of the Spirit of Truth. (p2061:8 194:2.10)
9. The personal acknowledgment of the Spirit of Truth gives new spiritual power and augments all of the spiritual influences previously experienced by God-knowing souls. (p2061:8 194:2.10)
10. Since the completion of Michael's bestowal, the Spirit of Truth, in his local universe, became literally the spirit of the sovereign Michael. (p230:2 20:6.9)
11. The bestowal Spirit of Truth, within the human mind, is unerringly responsive to truth--the living spirit relationship of all things and all beings as they are co-ordinated in the eternal ascent Godward. (p647:4 56:10.13)
12. Religious experiences result from the impress made upon the mind of man by the combined operations of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth as they function amid and upon the ideas, ideals, insights, and spirit strivings. (1104:06)
13. Begins to function in an individual upon entering the seventh psychic circle. (1210:08)
14. The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. (2065:07)
15. Protects the individual from the traitorous ones. (p610:3 53:8.7)
16. Is the spiritual force which draws all truth seekers. (p377:10 34:4.2 )
17. Is the personification of truth in the local universe. (p377:10 34:4.2 )
18. Is a divine presence derived from the personality of our Creator Son which emerges directly from his divine nature. (p377:10 34:4.2 )
19. The means by which Michael is able to be in perfect communication with all bestowal worlds in his local universe. (241:04)
20. Is receptive and reactive to all the emerging values in ascending personality, and faithfully transmits them through the Sevenfold to the Supreme. (p1286:6 117:5.8 )
21. Even when we leave the local universe, we will be in contact with the Spirit of Truth through superuniverse reflectivity. (p1286:7 117:5.9)
22. Is concerned primarily with the revelation of the Father's spirit nature and the Son's moral character. (p2062:11 194:3.1)
23. Enables the Master to live his life anew in the experience of every truth-taught believer. (p2062:11 194:3.1)

What Jesus taught about the Spirit of Truth:

1. You must abide in me, and I in you; the branch will die if it is separated from the vine. (1945:04)
2. As the branch cannot bear fruit except it abides in the vine, so neither can you yield the fruits of loving service except you abide in me. (1945:04)
3. If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. (1945:04)
4. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. (1945:04)
5. Unless you are born again, born of the spirit, you cannot enter the kingdom of God. (1829:04)
6. Behold, I stand at the doors of men's hearts and knock, and if any man will open to me, I will come in and sup with him and will feed him with the bread of life; we shall be one in spirit and purpose, and so shall we ever be brethren in the long and fruitful service of the search for the Paradise Father. (1829:04)
7. I am the door, I am the new and living way, and whosoever wills may enter to embark upon the endless truth-search for eternal life. (1829:04)
8. In a very short time I am going to send you my spirit, just like me except for this material body. (p1949:1 180:4.5 )
9. This new teacher is the Spirit of Truth who will live with each one of you, in your hearts, and so will all the children of light be made one and be drawn toward one another. (p1949:1 180:4.5 )
10. And when my spirit comes to indwell you, he will illuminate the difference between sin and righteousness and will enable you to judge wisely in your hearts concerning them. (p1951:3 180:6.2)
11. When he, the Spirit of Truth, comes, he shall eventually guide you into all truth as you pass through the many abodes in my Father's universe. (p1951:4 180:6.3 )
12. This spirit will not speak of himself, but he will declare to you that which the Father has revealed to the Son, and he will even show you things to come;he will glorify me even as I have glorified my Father. (p1951:5 180:6.4)
13. This spirit comes forth from me, and he will reveal my truth to you. (p1951:5 180:6.4)
14. This new teacher would take of that which is mine and reveal it to you. (p1951:5 180:6.4)
15. By the old way you seek to suppress, obey, and conform to the rules of living; by the new way you are first transformed by the Spirit of Truth and thereby strengthened in your inner soul by the constant spiritual renewing of your mind, and so are you endowed with the power of the certain and joyous performance of the gracious, acceptable, and perfect will of God. (p1609:5 143:2.4)
16. Thus by your faith and the spirit's transformation, you become in reality the temples of God, and his spirit actually dwells within you. (p1609:5 143:2.4)
17. The new law of the spirit endows you with the liberty of self-mastery in place of the old law of the fear of self-bondage and the slavery of self-denial. ((p1609:5 143:2.4)
18. You are not to attack the old ways; you are skillfully to put the leaven of new truth in the midst of the old beliefs. Let the Spirit of Truth do his own work. (p1932:1 178:1.16)

Experiencing the Spirit of Truth in your life:

1. Love, unselfishness, must undergo a constant and living readaptative interpretation of relationships in accordance with the leading of the Spirit of Truth. (1950:05)
2. And so must we clearly recognize that neither the golden rule nor the teaching of nonresistance can ever be properly understood as dogmas or precepts. They can only be comprehended by living them, by realizing their meanings in the living interpretation of the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another. (1951:00)
3. Destroys the believer's feeling of orphanhood and loneliness. (2061:00)
4. The proof of fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael. (2061:02)
5. Came to help the believer witness to the realities of Jesus' teachings and his life as he lived it in the flesh, and as he now again lives it anew and afresh in the individual believer. (p2061:4 194:2.6)
6. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. (1103:06)
7. Unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. (1103:06)
8. Enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. (1103:06)
9. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul. (2065:07)
10. Is almost wholly limited in function and power by man's personal reception of that which constitutes the sum and substance of the mission of Jesus. (p379:5 34:5.5)
11. Will always speak, saying, "This is the way." (p383:02)
12. When in the heart, reveals the Creator Son to men and enables them to yield the "fruits of the spirit"; and in so doing shows forth the traits which the Master manifested in his earthly life. (p2062:11 194:3.1)
13. Jesus made it plain that he had come to establish personal and eternal relations with men which should forever take precedence over all other human relationships. And he emphasized that this intimate spiritual fellowship was to be extended to all men of all ages and of all social conditions among all peoples. (p1593:6 141:7.5)

#5 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:51 AM

Beautiful collection Bonita! Thank you. With your permission, would like to post this list to other U-sites. Much love, Rick

#6 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

Sure thing Rick, but it is incomplete. Please add the others you have, especially about beauty.

#7 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Bonita,

This is one of my favorite qoutes, one that you mention on your list:

"Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, 'This is the way.'" (383)

Thanks,
Meredith

#8 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: "In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible." p291:3 26:5.3

The consciousness of the impulse to be like God is not true religion. The feelings of the emotion to worship God are not true religion. The knowledge of the conviction to forsake self and serve God is not true religion. The wisdom of the reasoning that this religion is the best of all is not religion as a personal and spiritual experience. True religion has reference to destiny and reality of attainment as well as to the reality and idealism of that which is wholeheartedly faith-accepted. And all of this must be made personal to us by the revelation of the Spirit of Truth. p1782:4 160:5.13

Edited by Bonita, 01 August 2009 - 08:40 AM.

#9 Guest_Rey Baskerville_*

Guest_Rey Baskerville_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

"Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, 'This is the way.'" (383)

Bonita,

I trust I will benefit from studying your compilation. I hope to gain a larger understanding of the Spirit of Truth.
I cannot say with certainty that I recognize this gift of our Master and Sovereign, but it is my undying hope that I too may learn to hear "This is the way."

Many thanks,

Rey.

#10 PHIL

PHIL

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:<br />Music,Sports,Movies

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi All;

I believe I have always heard 'this is the way'[so to speak] since childhood even in the small decisions.

But it is like a 'flash' and easily ignored or shrugged off.

Also easily overpowered by my Ego.

But anytime I have consciously or unconsciously followed the 'Flash' though seemingly the harder choice its result was rewarding.

But most of my life the Ego/survival instinct had a 90-10 advantage and I have recently been trying to even up those odds some (:

PHIL

Bonita,
I trust I will benefit from studying your compilation. I hope to gain a larger understanding of the Spirit of Truth.
I cannot say with certainty that I recognize this gift of our Master and Sovereign, but it is my undying hope that I too may learn to hear "This is the way."

Many thanks,

Rey.

#11 Guest_Rey Baskerville_*

Guest_Rey Baskerville_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

But it is like a 'flash' and easily ignored or shrugged off.

Also easily overpowered by my Ego.

But anytime I have consciously or unconsciously followed

the 'Flash' though seemingly the harder choice its result was rewarding.

So, that first thought
that first response
that thing I've forever ignored...
is it really that simple?

It's not been an easy thing to trust.
But the urge to stop resisting has been strong of late.

I wonder if it is this very first impulse that I have been invited to cease resisting?

Again, it's been a difficult thing to trust.

But I believe I'm becoming more willing.

Tell me more.

Rey.

#12 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

The spirit of the Father speaks best to man when the human mind is in an attitude of true worship. 1641:01

#13 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

The spirit of the Father speaks best to man when the human mind is in an attitude of true worship. 1641:01

Yes Bonita!

But is that true of the Spirit of Truth too? When and how does the SoT speak?

Hi All,

There were 40 days between the Resurrection and Pentecost. Many of Jesus' followers are celebrating the season of Pentecost right now. It is somewhere around the 1932nd anniversary of the arrival of the Spirit of Truth, the Master's personal presence in everyone.

Ever wonder what it might be like to be without the SoT? The Revelators say we aren't "strongly intellectually" aware of this spirit teacher, but they also say when it was bestowed, it:

...was immediately followed by a strong urge to go out and publicly proclaim the gospel of the kingdom and the good news that Jesus had risen from the dead.... p2059

These 120 apostles and disciples in the upper chamber were certainly aware of the Spirit of Truth, probably by noting the contrast before and after its bestowal. Maybe the only way we might become intellectually aware is to be without it for an hour or a day (just don't abandon me for long please!). This probably doesn't happen, one cannot turn the SoT on and off, nor does its Bestower waver or withdraw, right?

Evidently we are so accustomed to having the SoT that it is not regarded apart from 'normal' consciousness. It is a somewhat terrifying realization what our siblings must have gone thru before this Spirit was bestowed, with no inner influence saying "this is the way". And if there is no SoT, there can be no universal bestowal of Adjusters. Poor clueless ones!

What was life like without Michael's and Father's indwelling Spirits, with only the 7 somewhat impersonal Adjutants to call upon? Confusing? Mystifying? Uncertain? Cold? One can only wonder, marvel and be grateful to be born post-Pentecost. And I can't forget that the SoT is also involved in loving contact between us, as well as the source of inspirations and expressions of beauty.

Are you, intellectually or otherwise, aware of the Spirit of Truth? Most everyone who knows Jesus has felt a connection with the Master's spirit, but is that the same as contact with the Spirit of Truth?

Much love, Rick

#14 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Rick asks:

But is that true of the Spirit of Truth too? When and how does the SoT speak?

Jesus was very explicit concerning this. Yes, he does speak to us. In fact, it is more likely that you will hear the good shepherd speak in your heart long before you hear your own TA. Through 50 years of the practice of contemplative prayer, I have been able to discern the Master's voice and presence in my heart and mind. He speaks whenever you ask. He speaks to the humble heart which is wholly dedicated to hearing him. He speaks with peace and tenderness, with comfort and wisdom. These are communions that are not always intellectual but are felt deeply and known experientially. He promised that if you seek, you will find and I have found in my experience is that prayer has been the best avenue for seeking him.

His sheep follow him because they know his voice; they will not follow a stranger. They will flee from the stranger because they know not his voice. 1818:05

But I have many other sheep not of this fold, and these words are true not only of this world. These other sheep also hear and know my voice, and I have promised the Father that they shall all be brought into one fold, one brotherhood of the sons of God. And then shall you all know the voice of one shepherd, the true shepherd, and shall all acknowledge the fatherhood of God. 1819:05

The Revelators say we aren't "strongly intellectually" aware of this spirit teacher,

Note the emphasis on the word "intellectually". The spirit never speaks of himself, it increases consciousness of the presence of Michael, who for many of us is Jesus. When you accept the Spirit of Truth into your heart, you begin a personal relationship with Michael himself which, although it includes the added benefit of being able to utilize the mind of Michael, you also are benefitted by the actual presence of his personality. The proof that you have accepted this spirit is in your increased fellowship with Michael himself. You can't intellectualize this, you must experience it, and once you do, there is no question about it. For most of us, a relationship with another personality, Christ Michael, is much more tangible than a pre-personality, the TA.

Do not make the mistake of expecting to become strongly intellectually conscious of the outpoured Spirit of Truth. The spirit never creates a consciousness of himself, only a consciousness of Michael, the Son. From the beginning Jesus taught that the spirit would not speak of himself. The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael. 2061:02

Jesus, when attempting to explain this to his intellectually challenged apostles, the Alpheus twins, stated that the new Spirit will be "just like me, except for this material body".

Said Judas: "Master, you have always lived among us as a friend; how shall we know you when you no longer manifest yourself to us save by this spirit? If the world sees you not, how shall we be certain about you? How will you show yourself to us?"
Jesus looked down upon them all, smiled, and said: "My little children, I am going away, going back to my Father. In a little while you will not see me as you do here, as flesh and blood. In a very short time I am going to send you my spirit, just like me except for this material body. This new teacher is the Spirit of Truth who will live with each one of you, in your hearts, and so will all the children of light be made one and be drawn toward one another. And in this very manner will my Father and I be able to live in the souls of each one of you and also in the hearts of all other men who love us and make that love real in their experiences by loving one another, even as I am now loving you."1948:05-1949:00

To be born of the spirit means becoming consciously aware of receiving the presence of the Spirit of Truth, Christ Michael, within you.

The term "baptism of the spirit," which came into such general use about this time, merely signified the conscious reception of this gift of the Spirit of Truth and the personal acknowledgment of this new spiritual power as an augmentation of all spiritual influences previously experienced by God-knowing souls. p2061:8 194:2.10

These 120 apostles and disciples in the upper chamber were certainly aware of the Spirit of Truth, probably by noting the contrast before and after its bestowal. Maybe the only way we might become intellectually aware is to be without it for an hour or a day (just don't abandon me for long please!). This probably doesn't happen, one cannot turn the SoT on and off, nor does its Bestower waver or withdraw, right?

Yes, of course we can turn it off; in fact, we can prevent it from ever entering our hearts in the first place. The Spirit of Truth cannot enter our hearts without our consent. He does not take up permanent residence unless invited IN. Even then, the ability to discern his presence is dependent upon capacity for receptivity and personal reception of Christ's bestowal mission.

Slowly the apostles and many of the disciples were learning the meaning of Jesus' early declaration: "Unless you are born again, born of the spirit, you cannot enter the kingdom of God." Nevertheless, to all who are honest of heart and sincere in faith, it remains eternally true: "Behold, I stand at the doors of men's hearts and knock, and if any man will open to me, I will come in and sup with him and will feed him with the bread of life; we shall be one in spirit and purpose, and so shall we ever be brethren in the long and fruitful service of the search for the Paradise Father." And so, whether few or many are to be saved altogether depends on whether few or many will heed the invitation "I am the door, I am the new and living way, and whosoever wills may enter to embark upon the endless truth-search for eternal life."1829:04

Though the Spirit of Truth is poured out upon all flesh, this spirit of the Son is almost wholly limited in function and power by man's personal reception of that which constitutes the sum and substance of the mission of the bestowal Son. 379:05

Evidently we are so accustomed to having the SoT that it is not regarded apart from 'normal' consciousness.

As stated above, the Spirit of Truth, although bestowed upon all mankind, is not accepted by all of mankind. The Spirit must be invited in; you must be conscious of this reception to be born again. The Spirit of Truth is responsible for moving our personality from self-consciousness to God-consciousness. But, it's all about consciousness of experience.

The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. Pentecost, then and now, signifies that the Jesus of history has become the divine Son of living experience. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul. 2065:07

What was life like without Michael's and Father's indwelling Spirits, with only the 7 somewhat impersonal Adjutants to call upon? Confusing? Mystifying? Uncertain? Cold?

Don't forget about the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is actually the necessary ingredient for the coming of the Thought Adjuster. The Spirit of Truth made the reception of TA's universal; but before that, the Holy Spirit was adequate. In actuality, it is the Holy Spirit that lives within us which we take for granted and pay little attention to.

The Holy Spirit--this is the initial supermind bestowal, and it unfailingly appears in all bona fide human personalities. This ministry to a worship-craving and wisdom-desiring mind creates the capacity to self-realize the postulate of human survival, both in theologic concept and as an actual and factual personality experience.1003:04

When mind is thus endowed with the ministry of the Holy Spirit, it possesses the capacity for (consciously or unconsciously) choosing the spiritual presence of the Universal Father--the Thought Adjuster.379:04

The Adjusters cannot invade the mortal mind until it has been duly prepared by the indwelling ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits and encircuited in the Holy Spirit. 1187:01

Are you, intellectually or otherwise, aware of the Spirit of Truth? Most everyone who knows Jesus has felt a connection with the Master's spirit, but is that the same as contact with the Spirit of Truth?

Yes and Yes.

I commune with the Spirit of Truth throughout the day. He is the true vine and has told us quite plainly that we must abide in him and he in us in order to bear the fruit of the vine. If we abide in him and his words live in us, we will be able to commune with him freely and ask for what his spirit wills knowing that the Father will grant our request. He has promised us spiritual joy and divine communion in this life.

Then Jesus stood up again and continued teaching his apostles: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit. The vine is pruned only to increase the fruitfulness of its branches. Every branch coming out of me which bears no fruit, the Father will take away. Every branch which bears fruit, the Father will cleanse that it may bear more fruit. Already are you clean through the word I have spoken, but you must continue to be clean. You must abide in me, and I in you; the branch will die if it is separated from the vine. As the branch cannot bear fruit except it abides in the vine, so neither can you yield the fruits of loving service except you abide in me. Remember: I am the real vine, and you are the living branches. He who lives in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit of the spirit and experience the supreme joy of yielding this spiritual harvest. If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit. And when the world sees these fruit-bearing branches--my friends who love one another, even as I have loved them--all men will know that you are truly my disciples. 1945:04

Jesus made it plain that he had come to establish personal and eternal relations with men which should forever take precedence over all other human relationships. And he emphasized that this intimate spiritual fellowship was to be extended to all men of all ages and of all social conditions among all peoples. The only reward which he held out for his children was: in this world—spiritual joy and divine communion; in the next world— eternal life in the progress of the divine spirit realities of the Paradise Father. p1593:6 141:7.5

By receiving the Spirit of Truth, being born of the spirit, you are allowing for character transformation by the purification of your heart and continual spiritual renewal of your mind, which is the same as spiritizing your mind or evolving your soul. The Spirit of Truth personalizes truth. His spirit is the spirit of selflessness, of overwhelming mercy. Having Christ within you makes all things new: true, beautiful and good. He is the WAY. And this is precisely why he directs the loving and selfless contact between persons as well as with himself.

By the old way you seek to suppress, obey, and conform to the rules of living; by the new way you are first transformed by the Spirit of Truth and thereby strengthened in your inner soul by the constant spiritual renewing of your mind, and so are you endowed with the power of the certain and joyous performance of the gracious, acceptable, and perfect will of God. Forget not—it is your personal faith in the exceedingly great and precious promises of God that ensures your becoming partakers of the divine nature. Thus by your faith and the spirit's transformation, you become in reality the temples of God, and his spirit actually dwells within you. If, then, the spirit dwells within you, you are no longer bondslaves of the flesh but free and liberated sons of the spirit. The new law of the spirit endows you with the liberty of self-mastery in place of the old law of the fear of self-bondage and the slavery of self-denial. p1609:5 143:2.4

Jesus was the perfectly unified human personality. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. He unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: "If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new."1103:06

The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. 2065:07

#15 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Ah, that was a cool and plentiful drink Bonita,

Thank you. What good fortune to have access to your deep thinking mind and great talent for revelatory articulation here on the Forum.

And you answered a question that had been niggling at me for some time: How do pre-Spirit of Truth humans acquire their Adjusters? I had mistakenly thought of the Adjutants as somewhat impersonal (even unpersonal) as opposed to the presence of the Spirits of the Father and Son. But she is just as personally present, maybe more so, as the Holy Spirit. That lends itself to Trinitarian balance in the personal arena! Tho nothing has changed, I feel more complete realizing there is the person of the Holy Spirit (and her seven daughters) indwelling alongside the Son and the Father. How can we go wrong with such a vibrant and sanctified spiritual team living and working inside our personalities?

Love to all, Rick

#16 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Rick, glad to be of service.

Yes we have a trinity of spirit forces within us, but we are also subject to a double dose of sevenfold spirit influences.

Since the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth, man is subject to the teaching and guidance of a threefold spirit endowment: the spirit of the Father, the Thought Adjuster; the spirit of the Son, the Spirit of Truth; the spirit of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit.
In a way, mankind is subject to the double influence of the sevenfold appeal of the universe spirit influences. The early evolutionary races of mortals are subject to the progressive contact of the seven adjutant mind-spirits of the local universe Mother Spirit. As man progresses upward in the scale of intelligence and spiritual perception, there eventually come to hover over him and dwell within him the seven higher spirit influences. And these seven spirits of the advancing worlds are:
        1. The bestowed spirit of the Universal Father--the Thought Adjusters.
          2. The spirit presence of the Eternal Son--the spirit gravity of the universe of universes and the certain channel of all spirit communion.
          3. The spirit presence of the Infinite Spirit--the universal spirit-mind of all creation, the spiritual source of the intellectual kinship of all progressive intelligences.
          4. The spirit of the Universal Father and the Creator Son--the Spirit of Truth, generally regarded as the spirit of the Universe Son.
          5. The spirit of the Infinite Spirit and the Universe Mother Spirit--the Holy Spirit, generally regarded as the spirit of the Universe Spirit.
          6. The mind-spirit of the Universe Mother Spirit--the seven adjutant mind-spirits of the local universe.
          7. The spirit of the Father, Sons, and Spirits--the new-name spirit of the ascending mortals of the realms after the fusion of the mortal spirit-born soul with the Paradise Thought Adjuster and after the subsequent attainment of the divinity and glorification of the status of the Paradise Corps of the Finality.
          And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God. p2062:1-10 194:2.11-20

#17 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

How is it even possible for us to go wrong with so many overlapping and mutually supporting true, beautiful and good interior influences Bonita?

But we do, individually and collectively.

My Mom, a devout and unblinking Bible believer, mentioned the Spirit of Truth recently, and also noted that it is the "Comforter". The fourth and fifth epoch share this revelation evidently. Would you (or anyone here) care to expound on your experience and/or knowledge of this aspect of the SoT? I recall reading that the Adjuster is not there to sooth feelings. Is that the Comforter's work? And was it a manifestation of this universe service when an angel came to strengthen Jesus' resolve before his trial and awful death?

Sibling Regards, Rick

#18 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Greetings Rick,

You brought up several topics of interest:
1. The confusion in Christianity over the Holy Ghost (Spirit) and the Spirit of Truth (Paraclete)
2. Personal experience with the "Comforter".
3. Emotions, divine and human.
4. The purpose of the Spirit of Truth.
5. The role of angels.

To address all of these topics would result in a miserably long post which no one would read in its entirety. But you must know me by now, that I can speak volumes on each topic and never get tired of it. I can pull quotes from TUB as well as other sources to illustrate my point, all to the massive boredom and overwhelming ennui of the readership. You'll have to let me know if you're interested in my exposés on the above topics.

Let me offer a few thoughts on the Comforter. Ask yourself what gives you comfort. For me it is the realization that I am not alone at any time or in any situation, be it mental, physical, emotional, moral or spiritual. The other thing that gives me comfort is knowing that no matter how many foolish mistakes I make, someone still loves me and cares about helping me make it right. Another comfort is the experience that someone knows every one of my secrets, everything good and bad about me, and still loves me regardless. There is comfort in knowing that all I say, think and do is being paid attention to, that I am "seen" and "known". There is nothing more comforting and empowering than that; it is eros, rather than agape. There is no other way I can think of that can ennoble the soul than the erasing of shame and discouragement through personal involvement in every aspect of living, which is what the Spirit of Truth does so well, if we allow him. And this is precisely why so few allow him in; because he does know us so intimately and passionately. It is unsettling to the controlling ego to allow it.

p2060:7 194:2.2 The first mission of this spirit is, of course, to foster and personalize truth, for it is the comprehension of truth that constitutes the highest form of human liberty. Next, it is the purpose of this spirit to destroy the believer's feeling of orphanhood. Jesus having been among men, all believers would experience a sense of loneliness had not the Spirit of Truth come to dwell in men's hearts.

p2083:2 195:9.6 Modern men and women of intelligence evade the religion of Jesus because of their fears of what it will do to them--and with them. And all such fears are well founded.

#19 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

1. The confusion in Christianity over the Holy Ghost (Spirit) and the Spirit of Truth (Paraclete)
2. Personal experience with the "Comforter".
3. Emotions, divine and human.
4. The purpose of the Spirit of Truth.
5. The role of angels.

Hi Bonita, Forum Friends,

Your list above is a good springboard Bonita. Reading up on "Paraclete" does reveal much confusion in previous theology. The Paraclete could be an avatar, or the Holy Spirit, or the Spirit of God, or the anti-devil. But the word paraclete is from Latin/Greek lineage, and is generally translated as comforter.

Thanks for the examples of the type of comfort believers might expect from this Spirit gift. Spiritual orphanhood is an unsettling and lonely feeling. Most humans probably experience this at some point before allowing in the SoT. But divine emotion is something worth exploring in detail, please do expand on this if you will.

The purposes of the SoT are manifold. As noted before they are:
  • To personalize Truth
  • To foster Spiritual inclusion (cosmic belonging)
  • To prepare for the reception of the Adjuster
  • To help believers remember and understand the Master's words
  • To assist believers in living the teachings of the Spirit of Truth
  • To "direct" affectionate exchanges between sibling believers

When Jesus was comforted by the angel before his ordeal, I felt like this was done because he had no Spirit of Truth to be comforted by, therefore did the Mother of Nebadon send her envoy in its stead. I wouldn't be surprised if The Comforter did the same for anyone in a similar situation...

A Dios, Rick

#20 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Greetings Rick,

The topic of emotions is huge and impossible to cover in one post. First let me say that I am aware that the phrase "divine emotions" does not appear in TUB anywhere. That is my own phrase which I use to illustrate our duality of thought ranging from the primitive animal instinctive emotional thought to the mature and self-controlled thought of divine spiritual insight.

Years ago I became confused by what appeared to be a contradiction in TUB. In one instance the revelators tell us that the divine spirit makes contact with us not by feelings or emotions and later Jesus tells us that we should increasingly grow in the ability to feel the presence of God. Plus, we are told that strong feelings of emotion are not always the leading of the divine spirit yet we are also told that spiritual values are felt by the knowing mind. We are told that neither logic, emotions or feelings are part of religious experience yet we all know that the religious experience of worship can result in feelings of joy and emotions of thanksgiving.

So, I began to ponder and study these things. The first question I asked was "What is the difference between feelings and emotions?"

TUB tells us that emotions are reactions to the environment. They are attitudes. Looking at it from a physical, scientific and medical viewpoint (can't help that), it is apparent that emotions are individualized reactions or attitudes to feelings, where feelings are the sensory input from the environment to our specialized human sensory organs of the peripheral and central nervous system. We analyze what we hear, see and smell as well as sensations of touch, pressure, pain, pleasure, taste, heat, cold, hunger, etc.. Our hereditary minds assign meaning to these stimuli and often react with personalized emotion. In contrast to these material phenomenona are the divine feelings generated by religious insights and spiritual motivations.

p1121:5 102:3.3 Material feelings, human emotions, lead directly to material actions, selfish acts. Religious insights, spiritual motivations, lead directly to religious actions, unselfish acts of social service and altruistic benevolence.

So, what of feelings that do not come to us through the physical body? Do they result in a different type of emotional reaction or attitude? I believe that much of this depends upon our level of self-mastery, our moral nature, our level of cosmic insight and our desire to be divine. We may not be able to change what we feel by our bodies, but we can change how we interpret those feelings and our reaction to them. Likewise, as moral beings, we will strive for and evolve towards more divine emotions and attitudes.

p1572:8 140:4.8 An effective philosophy of living is formed by a combination of cosmic insight and the total of one's emotional reactions to the social and economic environment. Remember: While inherited urges cannot be fundamentally modified, emotional responses to such urges can be changed; therefore the moral nature can be modified, character can be improved. In the strong character emotional responses are integrated and co-ordinated, and thus is produced a unified personality. Deficient unification weakens the moral nature and engenders unhappiness.

It seems to me that the more spiritual insight we have, the more we are able to develop spiritual feelings and likewise spiritual or divine emotions. In fact, there are angels whose specific job is to foster the holier emotions of both men and angels. It seems clear to me that emotions can and do evolve from the primitive to the divine. But most importantly, one must have faith as well as feeling in order to develop true spiritual insight and sense the presence of God. Faith tempers and hones feelings toward the divine and the Divine never fail to fulfill those feelings resulting in a emotional reaction of personal religious experience. Emotions of joy and peace occur as well as the production of the tender fruits of that faith. Faith also leads to knowing which is much more than a feeling.

So what are some of the human emotions outlined for us in TUB? Fear, superstition, anger, wrath, pity, sentimentality, the sex urge, nostalgia, vanity, pride, ambition, honor, maternal love, disappointment, humiliation, despair

TUB also tells us that there is an evolutionary worshipful group of human feelings and emotions: awe, reverence, humility, gratitude and eventually altruism.

Besides the fruits of the spirit, (loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, enduring peace, love, joy, long suffering, gentleness, faith, meekness and temperance), divine emotions may also include divine wisdom and personal spiritual experience. But all of these reactions to the divine environment occur in the mind by faith in the transformation of the character of the personality toward holier emotions, those in the likeness of God.

p1104:5 101:1.2 The Thought Adjuster has no special mechanism through which to gain self-expression; there is no mystic religious faculty for the reception or expression of religious emotions. These experiences are made available through the naturally ordained mechanism of mortal mind. And therein lies one explanation of the Adjuster's difficulty in engaging in direct communication with the material mind of its constant indwelling.

I'm sure this is enough to stir up some comments for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users