30 replies to this topic

#21 StarStudent

StarStudent

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thank you joer and Rob for your thoughts etc...
Joer~ The Solving Mystery of the Missing Neutrinos is very interesting, but it something that I've not really gotten into studing, though I know that the field of Physics covers several areas, I'm hardly up on the complete field of this... You asked What can we do to reverse the current effects of Global Warming.... [and after thinking a bit on that] all comes to mind is that the progression of Our Fathers' plan for us, is in accord with His Will, thus, apart from prayer, I'd say that we should simply trust all such concerns with Him.. Of course this is just an opinion, and I know that there's alot of "wising that we would have taken more drastic measure" before the world got into such pollution, but then....prehaps foreknowledge of our mistakes would not have brought about the situations needed to help bring about our next page in history?
______________-
Rob, I'm sorry if I've come across in such a way that has been contrary to Jesus' teaching, as this certainly is not my intentions..
I agree with your post and what Jesus had to say about astrology, [only my way of saying it is that it is more associated with 'fortunetelling' etc.] Astro Physics or Astronomy is the more clear science, and as I said, please forgive me if I failed to clarify this well enough.
Astrology has given Astronomy a bad rep., [The purpose and calulations are entirely different] this is what I was trying to convey, concerning the "cohesion" which is referred to, by our modern science, [though unexplained by science]. And from my studies of this, I've personally come to the conclusion that it's all of intelligent design, [in other words; Even the reasoned speculation of Asto Science provides an inevitable conclusion / an end result, that "God" vervades all creation.
[Though Science uses the term "conhesion" instead of God]

The works of Astro Physics/Astronomy; within our Universe & the Solar systems; the calculations of planets, and their effects [their physcial laws], [cause & effects] are considered within our Fathers Kingdom, I believe.
And what I have learned, I only have come to know in a small part of what I imagine of how much more there is to learn... [ 338-339 ]
Thank you for sharing what Jesus had to say on the matter, and to answer your question if I've ever read the Urantia Book, Yes, indeed, I started reading the UB back in the earily 80's, attended a study group for awhile until we moved, though over the last few years I just skip around here and there... I've probably forgotten alot too... [and old age sure doesn't help with memory either] So if I get a little off track, please do help point me in the way of truth again, ok?

Love and Peace,
Richard

#22 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

I was into astrology as a teenager. I know that Jesus taught his apostles never to take anything away from another’s beliefs, only add thereto and the truth will eventually weed out the error. (Recall Simon Zelotes and the fire worshippers.) But in my case, you had better just come right out and tell me. It’s scary to think how long it would take me otherwise. Thank God a mean UB reader told me I was wasting my time with that astrology garbage. I still hate that guy. He knows who he is.

“No chick may be had without the shell, and no shell is of any worth after the chick is hatched (554).” The UB states that astrology was the cocoon of modern astronomy.

It's fascinating to think that global climate change may also cause our own personal upheavals. And remember…“Urantia is of origin in your sun (651),…”

There is a group of seraphim dedicated to keeping us in everlasting uncertainty about the future. “In the more advanced planetary ages these seraphim enhance man’s appreciation of the truth that uncertainty is the secret of contented continuity. They help the mortal philosophers to realize that, when ignorance is essential to success, it would be a colossal blunder for man to know the future. They heighten man’s taste for the sweetness of uncertainty, for the romance and charm of the indefinite and unknown (438).”
"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#23 Guest_Rob_*

Guest_Rob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

I was into astrology as a teenager. I know that Jesus taught his apostles never to take anything away from another’s beliefs, only add thereto and the truth will eventually weed out the error.

Dear Jessica,

Perhaps you are confusing a personal one-on-one encounter and what is appropriate in that context and the purpose of this discussion forum and what is appropriate hereon. The purpose of this forum is for the "discussion and dissemination of the teachings of The Urantia Book, and to foster contact between readers." When someone joins this forum they agree to abide by not only the purpose of this forum, but its rules, which can be found here:

http://www.urantia-u...?act=boardrules

The Urantia Book has very clear and specific teachings on the topic of astrology, so when someone makes claims about astrology, the actual content of what the UB teaches is very relevant, less this forum become a source of confusion for those who might be new to the actual teachings of the UB.

I have friends who believe different things; some in reincarnation. We agree to disagree, and personally I don't tell them their beliefs are garbage. If they seek to know what the UB teaches, I tell them honestly. This forum is a different context; when individuals come onto this forum they are agreeing to abide by its purpose as stated in the guidelines and rules. These are two different contexts. What the UB teaches is the explict subject of this forum. So, when someone comes onto this forum regardless of what they believe it is only natural that such beliefs are considered in the context of what the book actually teaches.

Sincerely,

Rob

Edited by Rob, 24 February 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#24 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks, Rob. Yes, I am feeling most timorous. We’re all mostly agreed that the heating of the sun causes global climate change and it is melting all the planets, not just the ones with SUV’s. And sheep belching doesn’t cause it. Speaking of magnetic disturbances affecting our physical natures, I had a stomachache at the time I was reading about the healing effects of magnets so I took one off the refrigerator and placed it on my stomach. Unbelievably, it felt better. But the influences of the moon? That does sound like astrology. But if anything biochemical or magnetic affects bodies of water, it would affect our bodies because our bodies are 90% water. I’ve seen studies done that show how thoughts affect water by Masaru Emoto. Nevermind that he claims that water comes from outer space. Nobody’s perfect. I forgot where in the UB it questions whether thoughts contain, displace, or occupy space. Anyway, we’re not supposed to predict our future. We’re supposed to decide our future. We should live by decisions, decisions, and more decisions, not by psychic predictions or planetary juxtapositions. And that’s all I got to say about that. All these scholarly requirements are giving me writer’s block.
"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#25 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

.... Nevermind that he claims that water comes from outer space.

Isn't water is a by-product of star formation ("outer space" phenomena) AW?

And it comes to earth by comet accretion, no?

About global warming/cooling, the Revelators gave us this unambigious declaration:

...And as long as the polar regions continue to be covered with ice, it is hardly possible for another glacial age to occur, regardless of future land elevations or modification of ocean currents.... p702

Can we/should we attempt to keep ice on both poles to prevent another ice age? Notwithstanding evolved science seems to believe losing the icecaps would cause global heating. This isn't scholarily so much as it is a difference of opinion between humans and celestials. It is true the celestials have a grander perspective, but they undoubtedly go against terrestrial science, even unenlightened logic. Why would icecaps melting create another ice age!?

Might that magnet clear writter's block? ;) R

Edited by Rick Warren, 28 February 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#26 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

WATER FROM OUTER SPACE!?

(I am certain) every ultimaton in my body has been through the heart of several stars. It helps me to acquire that "long-range" viewpoint on time and destiny that keeps me centered and humble. As everything we are made of came forth from the Andronover nebula as modified by the close approach of the Angona system, which exacerbated the tidal pulsations already inherent in our sun, giving us our present sunspot cycles whose variability steers our climate.

Sun variability is given such short shrift, almost ignored by climatologists, yet it is the most powerful and apparent agent of change. Perhaps this is because lack of data, or perhaps it is too obvious to be seen. Yet, our poles do seem to be losing their reflective cover and solarization has to be aggravating the changes. Just how sudden those changes may be are anybody's guess, but I would guess that these cycles are normal and regular. Having said that, it can't have helped a bit that North America East of the Mississsippi and much of Canada has lost so much forest in the last two centuries, in addition to the ongoing deforestation of the Amazon and Orinoco Basins..

When the ocean gyres shift the prevailing winds will follow along with the rainfall pattern. Not so long ago, the Sahara was verdant. Change is the only constant and we have to learn to live in harmony with the earth and adapt to certain change.
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#27 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

Forum Friends,

Can anyone here point to the quote about the eventual control of the weather by Urantians? Search as I might, no find.

Thanks, Rick

#28 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hi Rick, these quotes are the closest thing I found, however keep looking for.
Very interesting anyway and relate to the issue of physical control
But I thought that there is more between the pages of the UB.
Sometimes it seems that it hide! B)

The science of the material world enables man to control, and to some extent dominate, his physical environment. The religion of the spiritual experience is the source of the fraternity impulse which enables men to live together in the complexities of the civilization of a scientific age. Metaphysics, but more certainly revelation, affords a common meeting ground for the discoveries of both science and religion and makes possible the human attempt logically to correlate these separate but interdependent domains of thought into a well-balanced philosophy of scientific stability and religious certainty.p.1139

You cannot completely control the external world--environment. It is the creativity of the inner world that is most subject to your direction because there your personality is so largely liberated from the fetters of the laws of antecedent causation. There is associated with personality a limited sovereignty of will.p,1220

The spirit can dominate mind; so mind can control energy. But mind can control energy only through its own intelligent manipulation of the metamorphic potentials inherent in the mathematical level of the causes and effects of the physical domains. Creature mind does not inherently control energy; that is a Deity prerogative. But creature mind can and does manipulate energy just in so far as it has become master of the energy secrets of the physical universe.

When man wishes to modify physical reality, be it himself or his environment, he succeeds to the extent that he has discovered the ways and means of controlling matter and directing energy. Unaided mind is impotent to influence anything material save its own physical mechanism, with which it is inescapably linked. But through the intelligent use of the body mechanism, mind can create other mechanisms, even energy relationships and living relationships, by the utilization of which this mind can increasingly control and even dominate its physical level in the universe.p.1222

The more there is to learn!

Good night and Good day!

Alina.

Edited by Alina, 13 December 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#29 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:08 AM

Hi Rick, these quotes are the closest thing I found, however keep looking for.
Very interesting anyway and relate to the issue of physical control
But I thought that there is more between the pages of the UB.
Sometimes it seems that it hide! B)

The more there is to learn!

Good night and Good day!

Alina.

Thank you Alina,

Those quotes touch on it, but not the one I was searching for. Like you say, they sometimes HIDE :) I will keep looking.

Have a good one, Rick

#30 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

The Urantia book says that as long as we have the polar ice caps, we can hardly have another ice age. When ( and if)they do disappear, we should be ready for the possibility that the normal planetary circulatory systems that serve to equalize energies :the warm surface ocean currents such as the GULF and the JAPAN; the deep water, highly saline and slow-moving cold water return currents such as the HUMBOLDT; and the Hurricane/Typhoon phenomena, will change drastically and perhaps suddenly . With a breakdown of this ages-old circulatory system caused by glacial fresh water melt, a "standing wave" of snowfall in both hemispheres terminating at the boundary layer of moist tropical and continental polar air masses, could take place that will be a snowstorm that does not end for ages,leading to the next ice age.

The hydrosphere and the atmosphere are closely linked and inter-reactive. When the ocean currents are deranged so will follow the weather patterns we take for granted. Rain patterns in latitudes below the convergence zone will modify with fertile regions becoming desert and deserts blooming yet again.

As far as man's ability to control weather, or to successfully control any part of nature, I am less than sanguine. I am thinking of all the disasters man has precipitated by the introduction of animal and plant species from one place to another, in a well-meaning but poorly thought out effort. Human attempts to modify. What we weather, much less climate would be disastrous on a yet larger scale.

What would begin to make long term survival of civilizations more likely would be a world where human beings cared more for one another, were perhaps less self-assertive and cared as much for the welfare of their fellows as they did for their own. This is where the gospel of eternal life through sonship with a personal Father might be more effective, helping to inaugurate a new and way to live with each other (Brotherhood of Man), looking upon one another as family. Then the multiplier effects of cooperative synergy would increase increase potential supremely. Such change in the world, and in your life is possible-with GOD.

Even if we could not manage the climate effectively, we could maximize our abilities to respond to any crisis. Another "doomsday" scenario that often comes to my mind is the potential, and likely, future scenario where Near Earth Objects (asteroids,etc.) are definitely going to impact the planet, as has happened so often in our planet's history. The necessity/opportunity for concerted action would be time of great testing for sure... Our planet is steadily becoming more and more unbalanced in nearly every aspect. Whether the God's decide to intercede ( and we are told of debates among the higher councils of planetary supervisors to take actions to rectify some of our more glaring problems-the uncontrolled reproduction of inferiors, for example) or not, the opportunity is still ours to "destroy the enemies" of Truth,Beauty and Goodness with LOVE.
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#31 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Finally, here's the quote,

...2. Man's increasing control--the gradual accumulation of the knowledge of the laws of the material world, the purposes of spiritual existence, and the possibilities of the philosophic co-ordination of these two realities. Man, the savage, was helpless before the onslaughts of natural forces, was slavish before the cruel mastery of his own inner fears. Semicivilized man is beginning to unlock the storehouse of the secrets of the natural realms, and his science is slowly but effectively destroying his superstitions while at the same time providing a new and enlarged factual basis for the comprehension of the meanings of philosophy and the values of true spiritual experience. Man, the civilized, will someday achieve relative mastery of the physical forces of his planet; the love of God in his heart will be effectively outpoured as love for his fellow men, while the values of human existence will be nearing the limits of mortal capacity.... P.1306 - §3

If the weather is considered a physical force, then there may come a day when Urantians (relatively) control it. Indeed, what is being contemplated today is changing the weather by manipulating the composition of the atmosphere.

What do you think?

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users