64 replies to this topic

#41 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

We celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th as a compromise to Mithraism, the main religion in Rome and Persia during early Christianity. December 25th is actually the day the Vedic solar deity Mithra was born. The annual festival of Mithra on the 25th was hugely popular and unlikely to be done away with as was its Roman counterpart, natalis solis invicti, "birth of the unconquered sun". Sometime around the year 273 C.E. the day was declared to be the birth of the Son, not the Sun. With Emperor Constantine making Christianity the state religion, the Roman festival was outlawed, then finally the cult of Mithra was outlawed during the reign of Emperor Gratian (367-383 AD) leaving December 25th entirely to the Christians who, by then, had adopted all the pagan pageantry and symbolism.

Actually, the earliest Church fathers fought against celebrating Christ's birth at all. Origen (c.185-c.254) preached that it would be wrong to honor Christ in the same way Pharaoh and Herod were honored. Birthdays were for pagan gods. But not all of the early fathers agreed and arguments ensued, especially when attempting to determine Jesus' date of birth. No one knew; but most agreed, oddly enough, that it should occur on a Wednesday because the sun was created on the fourth day. Go figure. It seems that the symbol of light and the source of that light prevailed in the minds of most men.

There are a lot of similarities between Mithraism and Christianity:

Merry Christmas to all,

Thanks, Bonita, for the historical points. Rather than suffering planetary quarantine, our world and its people could have taken a normal course, as described by a Secondary Lanonandek Son of the Rserve Corps,

Think what it would mean on your world if somewhere in the Levant there were a world center of civilization, a great planetary university of culture, which had functioned uninterruptedly for 37,000 years. And again, pause to consider how the moral authority of even such an ancient center would be reinforced were there situated not far-distant still another and older headquarters of celestial ministry whose traditions would exert a cumulative force of 500,000 years of integrated evolutionary influence. It is custom which eventually spreads the ideals of Eden to a whole world. (587)

Customs and traditions of olden times become modified and expanded. What we view today on our world is changing ever so slowly.

All modern social institutions arise from the evolution of the primitive customs of your savage ancestors; the conventions of today are the modified and expanded customs of yesterday. What habit is to the individual, custom is to the group; and group customs develop into folkways or tribal traditions — mass conventions. From these early beginnings all of the institutions of present-day human society take their humble origin. (767)

Institutions are not persons. Our world depends upon the persons involved in some way with our various social and religious institutions to inspire and move the people of those institutions forward. My guess is that many people of every faith are doing this already and perhaps uncousciously very slowly. So slowly that we, ourselves, are not so aware of the changes. In the Paper called THE FAITH OF JESUS, we are told:

The time is ripe to witness the figurative resurrection of the human Jesus from his burial tomb amidst the theological traditions and the religious dogmas of nineteen centuries. Jesus of Nazareth must not be longer sacrificed to even the splendid concept of the glorified Christ. What a transcendent service if, through this revelation, the Son of Man should be recovered from the tomb of traditional theology and be presented as the living Jesus to the church that bears his name, and to all other religions! Surely the Christian fellowship of believers will not hesitate to make such adjustments of faith and of practices of living as will enable it to “follow after” the Master in the demonstration of his real life of religious devotion to the doing of his Father’s will and of consecration to the unselfish service of man. Do professed Christians fear the exposure of a self-sufficient and unconsecrated fellowship of social respectability and selfish economic maladjustment? Does institutional Christianity fear the possible jeopardy, or even the overthrow, of traditional ecclesiastical authority if the Jesus of Galilee is reinstated in the minds and souls of mortal men as the ideal of personal religious living? Indeed, the social readjustments, the economic transformations, the moral rejuvenations, and the religious revisions of Christian civilization would be drastic and revolutionary if the living religion of Jesus should suddenly supplant the theologic religion about Jesus. (2090)

All the best on this remembrance day,
Meredith

#42 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

1. BASIC HUMAN INSTITUTIONS

69:1.1 All human institutions minister to some social need, past or present, notwithstanding that their overdevelopment unfailingly detracts from the worth-whileness of the individual in that personality is overshadowed and initiative is diminished. Man should control his institutions rather than permit himself to be dominated by these creations of advancing civilization.

69:1.2 Human institutions are of three general classes:
69:1.3 1. The institutions of self-maintenance. These institutions embrace those practices growing out of food hunger and its associated instincts of self-preservation. They include industry, property, war for gain, and all the regulative machinery of society. Sooner or later the fear instinct fosters the establishment of these institutions of survival by means of taboo, convention, and religious sanction. But fear, ignorance, and superstition have played a prominent part in the early origin and subsequent development of all human institutions.
69:1.4 2. The institutions of self-perpetuation. These are the establishments of society growing out of sex hunger, maternal instinct, and the higher tender emotions of the races. They embrace the social safeguards of the home and the school, of family life, education, ethics, and religion. They include marriage customs, war for defense, and home building.
69:1.5 3. The institutions of self-gratification. These are the practices growing out of vanity proclivities and pride emotions; and they embrace customs in dress and personal adornment, social usages, war for glory, dancing, amusement, games, and other phases of sensual gratification. But civilization has never evolved distinctive institutions of self-gratification.

69:1.6 These three groups of social practices are intimately interrelated and minutely interdependent the one upon the other. On Urantia they represent a complex organization which functions as a single social mechanism.

#43 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the video, John. I imagine that scene in Edinburgh was just about what the Sage of Salem witnessed as he and his eleven Planetary Receivers looked about the planet for any light and any life-it was dying. When they asked their immediate superiors, the Three Constellation Fathers on Edentia they replied "the conduct of affairs on 606 of Satania is fully in the hands of the Melchizedek custodians." and got a similar, nonspecific vote of confidence from the Father Melchizedek.

The inspiring , determined and hopeful arrival of the Adamic dispensation some 34,000 yrs. earlier and the same twelve receivers departure, at that time, and subsequent return after the tragic default , found the state of cosmic consciousness devolved further, nearly nil,just the idea of polytheism and flawed gods who reflected their creators fears. Not much for our elder brothers to work with, no direction from above, and no "easy way out." In short, a splendid opportunity for perseverance, determination and blind faith.

Machiventa did what had only been done six times previously in our universe, and was "consummated" as a apparent human of the realm, to treat with a flawed tribal cheiftan, and with the help of his elder brother, the Vorondadek Observer (MOST HIGHS RULE!) helped Abraham "smite his enemies, hip and thigh." And in the process, plant and nurture the concept of EL ELYON. His words to Amdon, a herder, the first person he met on Urantia were: "I am Melchizedek, priest of El Elyon, the Most High, the one and only God."

This was a humble beginning. He knew Michael was coming. Can you imagine the desire of his spirit to prepare the path for his beloved Father and Master? Machiventa, Van and Amadon: Agondonters have long been the torch bearers on this benighted sphere. It is much the same today.

Our institutions may help maintain society if properly led but will never give us the desire of our heart, the living love of the Family of Man under the Fatherhood of a loving Father. Jesus showed us the Way, gave us the spiritual Helper and walks along beside us with each step we take along the Paradise Path of Perfection. He viewed every person in terms of their potential in eternity, loved them in spite of their faults, failures and shortcomings.

I imagine there is great satisfaction in the "heavenly abodes" over every flicker of faith, no matter how faint, shown by we animal origin children of faith. It is our faith and only our faith that makes us real and sets us free. When things look the darkest, then is the time ripe for growth. Times of great testing are times of great opportunity. These times seem to be upon us and i can only pray for guidance, do the next right thing, and remember that even if I cannot do this, there lives in me one who can.

FINALLY, MY QUOTE:
(you knew there had to be a quote)

The ideals of one generation carve out the channels of destiny for immediate posterity. The quality of the social torchbearers will determine whether civilization goes forward or backward. The homes, churches, and schools of one generation predetermine the character trend of the succeeding generation. The moral and spiritual momentum of a race or a nation largely determines the cultural velocity of that civilization.

Ideals elevate the source of the social stream. And no stream will rise any higher than its source no matter what technique of pressure or directional control may be employed. The driving power of even the most material aspects of a cultural civilization is resident in the least material of society's achievements. Intelligence may control the mechanism of civilization, wisdom may direct it, but spiritual idealism is the energy which really uplifts and advances human culture from one level of attainment to another. 909-7
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#44 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Religion. Music. Blues, Classic R&B and Gospel in particular.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

Ah yes, and we also find ourselves where we are, having to deal with external reality and internal reality, and of course knowing TUB, the twains can hardly meet. So it's much like the AA prayer, to pray to accept what we cannot change and to change the things we can.

TUB says we can resolve this better through revelation than theosophy, as revelation is the closest thing to morontia thinking there is. And that rings true for me, having read Ouspensky and Steiner (no help) before discovering Swedenborg (closer) and then Voila! TUB.

Our internal reality is also a reflection of thoughts about friends, family, health, hunger, sleep, work, rest, hobbies, learning, finances, and problems/plans connected to each of those, which cannot be avoided. That is the human condition, which is also geopolitical, geographical, economic, racial, etc. on a broader scale. Revelation does help to discern an understanding of and the solutions for all of these realities, but we still have to confront them. Wisdom, tact, tolerance and love won't change much until everyone plays by the same behavior. Fortunately there are some who have evolved to some degree of better thinking, and are more altruistic than selfish.

I'd rather have a holiday where we can enjoy the little ones enjoying it, and witness a semblance of love in some people, than not have one. Most don't know about Mithraism, nor Origen, nor Athaniasus. The more tolerant I become and less critical, the less tension I experience. The less tension there is, the more I can peacefully concentrate ("spiritual idealism" as Bill points out) on TUB teachings, and imagine a life at the next level - guaranteed to be different than this one here if I make it. (I can't judge my own circles, but I can live by faith.)

Ted

Edited by Teobeck, 27 December 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#45 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Always did the Master co-ordinate the faith of the soul with the wisdom-appraisals of seasoned experience. Personal faith, spiritual hope, and moral devotion were always correlated in a matchless religious unity of harmonious association with the keen realization of the reality and sacredness of all human loyalties--personal honor, family love, religious obligation, social duty, and economic necessity.2088-2

The Son of Man was always a well-poised personality. Even his enemies maintained a wholesome respect for him; they even feared his presence. Jesus was unafraid. He was surcharged with divine enthusiasm, but he never became fanatical. He was emotionally active but never flighty. He was imaginative but always practical. He frankly faced the realities of life, but he was never dull or prosaic. He was courageous but never reckless; prudent but never cowardly. He was sympathetic but not sentimental; unique but not eccentric. He was pious but not sanctimonious. And he was so well-poised because he was so perfectly unified.1102-1

Meredith quoted about how the time is ripe for the figurative resurrection.... It is truly time for us all to wake up and live our day and say good night all the while in the company of this Son of Man, get to know him, how he lived and become inspired to become more like him. This should make everything else we do meaningful and relevant. If what you do is good it is also true and the measure of the beauty you reveal is the joy it creates. Jesus teaches us to love men, not just to love their souls, or love the best in them, but to unconditionally love men, as he and his father do.

This is where to start.

Transformed people will create a transformed world.

P.1083 - §1 Prior to the coming of the mystery cults and Christianity, personal religion hardly developed as an independent institution in the civilized lands of North Africa and Europe; it was more of a family, city-state, political, and imperial affair. The Hellenic Greeks never evolved a centralized worship system; the ritual was local; they had no priesthood and no "sacred book." Much as the Romans, their religious institutions lacked a powerful driving agency for the preservation of higher moral and spiritual values. While it is true that the institutionalization of religion has usually detracted from its spiritual quality, it is also a fact that no religion has thus far succeeded in surviving without the aid of institutional organization of some degree, greater or lesser

My personal view, and I may be completely "off track," is that the institutional religions of authority,,, or for that matter, any institution, personal religion or "stadium preachers" will cure what Ted calls the "human condition. I believe in love and that the multiplier effect of synergy will gain inertial energy when more people wake up in the morning with the hope of finding a way to serve their brothers and sisters.

The UB states:

P.966 - §1 Regardless of the drawbacks and handicaps, every new revelation of truth has given rise to a new cult, and even the restatement of the religion of Jesus must develop a new and appropriate symbolism. Modern man must find some adequate symbolism for his new and expanding ideas, ideals, and loyalties. This enhanced symbol must arise out of religious living, spiritual experience. And this higher symbolism of a higher civilization must be predicated on the concept of the Fatherhood of God and be pregnant with the mighty ideal of the brotherhood of man.

This is not that complicated. I am reminded how Jesus Destroyed His Enemies...with LOVE.

P.S.

About the topic of this thread; What is the Planetary Qurantine and what does it do.
\
My considered opinion is that it is a spiritual barricade and, as such, would be practically impossible to discern whether or not it was lifted although some Christians tell me that when Jesus returns, he will only be visible with the "eyes of faith."

#46 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

As I see it, neither the institutional churches nor the stadium preachers are curing the human condition, but maybe helping a little, at least not harming, depending on your viewpoint. However, for most that's all there is available. Of course that's from the viewpoint of a UB reader, who is thankful for the Bible before finding TUB as that's all there was; the only way to find Deity. Now of course everything is greatly expanded.

Seems Fatherhood of God and Brotherhood of man would include some compassion for others, which I am including here as motivation for remarks.

Seems that's why the UB was promulgated, so we could know the historical Jesus, the Father/Trinity, and about the Cosmos, to help renew our spiritual knowledge and faith..

Edited by Teobeck, 28 December 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#47 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

A few thoughts. Religious practices on this planet run the gamut, some advanced, some primitive and regressive. Eventually, however, the primitive and regressive will have to evolve or perish as we move towards light and life. The fact that some people are determined to keep these religions alive and even resurrect the dead ones is mind boggling to me. It leaves me with one question, what is motivating people to look for the "ancient ways"? Do they believe that the ancient ways are somehow purer and closer to the truth than what is available today? If so why?

It is a rebellion of sorts, somewhat reminiscent of the "flower power" movement and return to nature in the 60's and 70's. People were searching for simplicity and personal liberty in retaliation to what they perceived as an overbearing social and religious morality. What are these people really searching for today? My guess is that it is the same thing people have been searching for since mankind first contacted the spirit of worship about a million years ago, only now they are looking backwards instead of forwards, outward instead of inward. They're heading back to nature worship, which makes no sense because it necessarily involves an element of human bondage to the spirits of fear, the opposite of freedom, the very thing they desire. I truly believe that the return to ancient nature worship is a symptom of the disease (dis-ease) of our times, desperate calls for spirit intervention, be it done erroneously through divination or apocalypse, people are yearning to get in touch with spirit. However, they seem to be searching for ancient buried treasure when in actuality, the truth is alive and well.

p1766:04 The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith.

None of our current institutionalized religions truly satisfy spirit hunger. None can be considered the standard bearer of our times. Yet we cannot completely abandon them nor can we condemn those who wholeheartedly believe their dogmas. The human condition is so variable and human needs so inconsistent, that what heals one man can be another's poison. Some how, we have to learn to live with it and still progress despite it all.

p999:03 But the minds of greater spiritual illumination should be patient with, and tolerant of, those less endowed intellects that crave symbolism for the mobilization of their feeble spiritual insight. The strong must not look with disdain upon the weak. Those who are God-conscious without symbolism must not deny the grace-ministry of the symbol to those who find it difficult to worship Deity and to revere truth, beauty, and goodness without form and ritual. In prayerful worship, most mortals envision some symbol of the object-goal of their devotions.

I don't believe we need the second coming of our Lord to sort all of this out for us. Michael, Jesus, the Spirit of Truth, is alive and well today right here on earth, but so few are even aware of his ministry. Why is that? Why do we need to see flesh and blood in order to have faith? It seems to me that God knows that we have progressed, even if we don't realize it ourselves. Think about it. All other spiritual revelations have involved the coming of personalities to this planet, usually in the flesh. This time, God sent a book not a person. Why? Because the person is already here and no one is paying any attention to him. The book is meant to open the mind and heart to truth. Who is truth that we can have a relationship with? We still need a person to help us, TUB is simply giving us the means to amplify our appreciation of who we already have. No apocalypse necessary, no need to return to ancient ways in order to find the buried the truth.

Is the Spirit of Truth present in all of the religious institutions present on the planet? I would say that wherever two or three are gathered, he is there. The problem is, folks aren't looking for him, they're looking for something else and coming up empty, leaving the banquet hungry. It's a shame.

#48 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ted, Bro,

There is always a plan "B." The simple and pure love of ONE MAN overturned the whole Western World and changed the course of human history as Joshua ben Joseph revealed man to God. We all have limitations and it's good to be aware but not be limited by them. We all have, within, a fragment of the purest spirit reality in the universe-our Mystery Monitors. If we can't our Adjuster can and will if we but allow and give up our sovereign will. I am interested in helping this civilization prosper and flourish. The only way I can see this will happen is with Love.

A new and fuller revelation of the religion of Jesus is destined to conquer an empire of materialistic secularism and to overthrow a world sway of mechanistic naturalism. Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment
. 2082-7

The cure for the "human condition" is a more powerful contagion than hate, greed or the love of power

..You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor's motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man. 1098-3

The contagion affecting this planet and the protective planetary quarantine resulted from the self-assertion and thirst for power of one person- (that proud devil who cannot bear to be mocked) Lucifer. Michael gave us everything we need to take care of this problem, here and now, without resorting to direct divine intervention. The government "of the Sons for the Father" Trusts and supports us in the manner that will produce the greatest growth of Supremacy.
That we, the children of time, the faith infants of unlimited destiny could work to heal this world and repair the damage done, will be an object lesson and cause a shout of triumphant joy that surely will be heard in the councils of Paradise.

It's a nice dream, isn't it? All we have to do to make it real is get to know and love one more person today.

#49 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure that the quarantine actually affects us that much. The spiritual beings who work here seem to have access to what they need:

The isolation of a planet in no way affects the Adjusters and their ability to communicate with any part of the local universe, superuniverse, or the central universe. And this is the reason why contacts with the supreme and the self-acting Adjusters of the reserve corps of destiny are so frequently made on quarantined worlds. Recourse is had to such a technique as a means of circumventing the handicaps of planetary isolation. In recent years the archangels' circuit has functioned on Urantia, but that means of communication is largely limited to the transactions of the archangel corps itself. 1191:00

Moreover, the presence of the Spirit of Truth makes planetary quarantine and isolation less of a consequence to us mortals. Between him and our Adjusters, we are no longer isolated, so the quarantine is actually a moot point.

This rather loosely organized and somewhat personally administered planetary government is more than expectedly effective because of the timesaving assistance of the archangels and their ever-ready circuit, which is so frequently utilized in planetary emergencies and administrative difficulties. Technically, the planet is still spiritually isolated in the Norlatiadek circuits, but in an emergency this handicap can now be circumvented through utilization of the archangels' circuit. Planetary isolation is, of course, of little concern to individual mortals since the pouring out of the Spirit of Truth upon all flesh nineteen hundred years ago. 1254:04

Jesus broke the isolation barrier and the Way is now open to all.

Jesus showed mankind the new way of mortal living whereby human beings may very largely escape the dire consequences of the Caligastic rebellion and most effectively compensate for the deprivations resulting from the Adamic default. "The spirit of the life of Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of animal living and the temptations of evil and sin." "This is the victory that overcomes the flesh, even your faith." p382:6 34:7.6

#50 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Bonita's quote says what I was trying to say:

"p999:03 But the minds of greater spiritual illumination should be patient with, and tolerant of, those less endowed intellects that crave symbolism for the mobilization of their feeble spiritual insight. The strong must not look with disdain upon the weak. Those who are God-conscious without symbolism must not deny the grace-ministry of the symbol to those who find it difficult to worship Deity and to revere truth, beauty, and goodness without form and ritual. In prayerful worship, most mortals envision some symbol of the object-goal of their devotions."

What good is the UB Revelation if we don't love our less informed brothers/sisters?

I met with my youngest son (39) today (Wharton grad) who is building a Homeless Center in D.C. (Anacostia, poorest section in area) after providing 184 homeless with Section 8 apartments also in Anacostia, D.C., in addition to the fact that he and spouse spend a lot of time helping single unwed mothers and babies by sleeping them in 50 church rectories through Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM), and he is on fire for Jesus. He translates faith to action. He is too busy "doing" to philosophize or criticize. He is a "scratch" golfer, and raises money through his golf shows to help CHGM. My point is that "love" needs to be an action rather than a concept.

My point is that TUB often emphasizes "action" based on faith. I can intellectualize interminably herein with the mind God gave me and the minds posting here, and never help God the Supreme as Jesus did, and signify nothing. If I need opinions, all I have to do is watch Glenn Beck, Rachel Maddow, the Ed show, and Bill O'Reilly, all of which shows I personally abhor (love the people but am disinterested in their political opinions).

I read Michael's 7 bestowals again last night, and saw His love shine through again to his created beings and ascending mortals. If I could see Him again, that would be enough for me. Everyone posting on these boards is smart, well read, and informed, albeit in electronic cyberspace (I Can't experience their personalities).

As a musician, I always got off on entertaining others, a form of altruism which is simultaneously self satisfying. and provides great interaction.

I feel loving action is greater than opinions. That's what Father-God, Michael/Jesus and the Family of God always do, and that's what we ask them to do.

As Bill martin quoted above:
..You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor's motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man. 1098-3

That says it for me.

Ted

Edited by Teobeck, 28 December 2009 - 11:44 PM.

#51 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

I learned to walk before I learned to talk I was blind but now I see

Worked on the West side at Beacon House with project kids, on Saturdays, as a sophmore in HS, marched down State Street with MLK that same year and through a life of volunteering (one of my few worthwhile habits), I have come to realize I have done it all out of selfishness. It makes ME feel good!
Have had to LEARN to accept as well as receive- still workin on that one.

Ya, you got to love em like you find em. Judging folks is "way above my pay grade."

My feeling is that eternity begins NOW so live like you are already a morontia ascender (you are).

#52 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Worked on the West side at Beacon House with project kids, on Saturdays, as a sophmore in HS, marched down State Street with MLK that same year and through a life of volunteering (one of my few worthwhile habits), I have come to realize I have done it all out of selfishness. It makes ME feel good!

My feeling is that eternity begins NOW so live like you are already a morontia ascender (you are).

The moment a person begins to tell me about all the good things he/she does is the moment I suspect pharisaical self-interest. Jesus said, "Do your good deeds in secret; when you give alms, let not the left hand know what the right hand does." True goodness is an unconscious out-flowing of the fruits of the spirit.

There are people who do good in the name of God but to truly do God's work requires complete selflessness, where God himself is given personality expression by one willing that his will be done. Otherwise the kingdom of God becomes merely the kingdom of good, an elevated but ultimately self-serving goodness.

My point is that TUB often emphasizes "action" based on faith. I can intellectualize interminably herein with the mind God gave me and the minds posting here, and never help God the Supreme as Jesus did, and signify nothing.

We do not find God by acts; we find God by faith. Acts are the result of faith.

p1121:1  102:2.8 True religion must act. Conduct will be the result of religion when man actually has it, or rather when religion is permitted truly to possess the man. Never will religion be content with mere thinking or unacting feeling.

We do not contact God by our feelings, but through spiritualized thinking. To say that what goes on in our minds is useless is denying the actual presence of God himself within our minds. There is a difference between intellectualized thought and spiritualized thought.

p1104:6 101:1.3 The divine spirit makes contact with mortal man, not by feelings or emotions, but in the realm of the highest and most spiritualized thinking. It is your thoughts, not your feelings, that lead you Godward. The divine nature may be perceived only with the eyes of the mind.

Conversation, here on this forum, has helped many a confused soul. If conversing about God is useless, then why did Jesus spend most of his time talking? I don't recall a single low income housing unit, soup kitchen, hospital, synagogue or school established by Jesus. He preferred to teach people how to help themselves as he passed by. His miracles of mercy were affirmations of faith and many of them were meant to teach weak souls to have the faith necessary to solve their own problems. He was very cautious about almsgiving and required that all such handouts must be approved by him. There was a reason for that. There are times when sentimental do-gooding is actually harmful.

#53 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Conversation, here on this forum, has helped many a confused soul. If conversing about God is useless, then why did Jesus spend most of his time talking? I don't recall a single low income housing unit, soup kitchen, hospital, synagogue or school established by Jesus. He preferred to teach people how to help themselves as he passed by. His miracles of mercy were affirmations of faith and many of them were meant to teach weak souls to have the faith necessary to solve their own problems. He was very cautious about almsgiving and required that all such handouts must be approved by him. There was a reason for that. There are times when sentimental do-gooding is actually harmful.

Hi Bonita, all,

There is something about what you said that reminded me that "In the spiritual world there is no such thing as menial work; all service is sacred and exhilarating. . . ," though I couldn't find the page #. The 21st Century is more complicated than back in the day when Jesus walked the earth. His ministry is available now to all, no matter the status or religion practiced or not practiced.

All the best in working out your assignments in life in the 21st Century,
Meredith

#54 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

There is something about what you said that reminded me that "In the spiritual world there is no such thing as menial work; all service is sacred and exhilarating. . . ," though I couldn't find the page #. The 21st Century is more complicated than back in the day when Jesus walked the earth. His ministry is available now to all, no matter the status or religion practiced or not practiced.

The 21st Century is more complicated but the Gospel is the same simple message. I suppose you are referring to the Spirit of Truth's restatement of the Jesus message to each new generation. (2060:06) One of the purposes of the Spirit of Truth is to:

194.2.6 . . . help the believer to witness to the realities of Jesus' teachings and his life as he lived it in the flesh, and as he now again lives it anew and afresh in the individual believer of each passing generation of the spirit-filled sons of God.

The true religionist does not make social reconstruction and economic reorganization the basis of the expression of his/her faith. Such activities are social religions of their own in the kingdom of good.

99:1.6    Religion must not become organically involved in the secular work of social reconstruction and economic reorganization. But it must actively keep pace with all these advances in civilization by making clear-cut and vigorous restatements of its moral mandates and spiritual precepts, its progressive philosophy of human living and transcendent survival. The spirit of religion is eternal, but the form of its expression must be restated every time the dictionary of human language is revised.

That is not to say that spirit led religionists cannot live the will of God in any occupation. But one must first be righteous in order to do the work. One must discover the will of the living God first; and this is not accomplished by good works.

p1732:4 155:6.11 Never forget there is only one adventure which is more satisfying and thrilling than the attempt to discover the will of the living God, and that is the supreme experience of honestly trying to do that divine will. And fail not to remember that the will of God can be done in any earthly occupation. Some callings are not holy and others secular. All things are sacred in the lives of those who are spirit led; that is, subordinated to truth, ennobled by love, dominated by mercy, and restrained by fairness— justice. The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty.

p196:04 Unselfish social consciousness must be, at bottom, a religious consciousness; that is, if it is objective; otherwise it is a purely subjective philosophic abstraction and therefore devoid of love. Only a God-knowing individual can love another person as he loves himself.

#55 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Bill Martin)

(Bonita)
"The moment a person begins to tell me about all the good things he/she does is the moment I suspect pharisaical self-interest. Jesus said, "Do your good deeds in secret; when you give alms, let not the left hand know what the right hand does." True goodness is an unconscious out-flowing of the fruits of the spirit.

There are people who do good in the name of God but to truly do God's work requires complete selflessness, where God himself is given personality expression by one willing that his will be done. Otherwise the kingdom of God becomes merely the kingdom of good, an elevated but ultimately self-serving goodness
."

(I suspected that would bring a stern lecture from you)

I think you need to look more closely at the public ministry of Jesus.

(Bonita Quote)
"I don't recall a single low income housing unit, soup kitchen, hospital, synagogue or school established by Jesus."

He fed the people at each meeting, he and the apostles gave out alms constantly to the poor. He sought to allieviate suffering and intructed the apostles on how to minister to the health of the people they served.He could do little about the gross economic inequalities of the system he lived under but never stopped misistering to the whole person: mind, body and spirit.

P.16

#56 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

I think you need to look more closely at the public ministry of Jesus.

He fed the people at each meeting, he and the apostles gave out alms constantly to the poor. He sought to allieviate suffering and intructed the apostles on how to minister to the health of the people they served.He could do little about the gross economic inequalities of the system he lived under but never stopped misistering to the whole person: mind, body and spirit.

Where does it say that Jesus fed the people at each meeting? I don't remember reading that. People ate, but it doesn't say anywhere that Jesus fed them other than the miracle of the loaves and fishes.

Jesus ministered to the individual as he passed by.

171.7.9 Most of the really important things which Jesus said or did seemed to happen casually, “as he passed by.” There was so little of the professional, the well-planned, or the premeditated in the Master’s earthly ministry. He dispensed health and scattered happiness naturally and gracefully as he journeyed through life. It was literally true, “He went about doing good.”

He did not even establish specific guidelines as to how one should serve, but that service is a result of true religion.

p1769:10 Jesus' religion consisted not merely in believing, but in actually doing, those things which the gospel required. He did not teach that the essence of his religion consisted in social service, but rather that social service was one of the certain effects of the possession of the spirit of true religion.

And, he never once offered advice about political, social or economic issues.

140.8.17 In his later teachings he sought to correct many erroneous Urantia views of life by narrating numerous parables which he presented in the course of his public ministry. Jesus never intended to formulate economic theories; he well knew that each age must evolve its own remedies for existing troubles. And if Jesus were on earth today, living his life in the flesh, he would be a great disappointment to the majority of good men and women for the simple reason that he would not take sides in present-day political, social, or economic disputes. He would remain grandly aloof while teaching you how to perfect your inner spiritual life so as to render you manyfold more competent to attack the solution of your purely human problems.

He did not establish any institutions, nor did he give alms indiscriminately. His only advice about service was concerning self-control and doing the will of the Father.

p317:01 When the spiritual tests of greatness are applied, the moral elements are not disregarded, but the quality of unselfishness revealed in disinterested labor for the welfare of one's earthly fellows, particularly worthy beings in need and in distress, that is the real measure of planetary greatness. And the manifestation of greatness on a world like Urantia is the exhibition of self-control. The great man is not he who "takes a city" or "overthrows a nation," but rather "he who subdues his own tongue."

In fact, Jesus himself, did not accept alms. He chose to work for his keep.

128.5.4 Before taking leave of Jesus, they presented him with a purse in token of the esteem of his Alexandrian friends and in compensation for the time and expense of coming over to Caesarea to confer with them. But he likewise refused the money, saying: “The house of Joseph has never received alms, and we cannot eat another’s bread as long as I have strong arms and my brothers can labor.”

165.4.7 Jesus did not teach nor countenance improvidence, idleness, indifference to providing the physical necessities for one’s family, or dependence upon alms. But he did teach that the material and temporal must be subordinated to the welfare of the soul and the progress of the spiritual nature in the kingdom of heaven.

He taught his disciples against succumbing to indiscriminate kindness and sentimental pity.

140.8.13 He made it clear that indiscriminate kindness may be blamed for many social evils. The following day Jesus definitely instructed Judas that no apostolic funds were to be given out as alms except upon his request or upon the joint petition of two of the apostles. In all these matters it was the practice of Jesus always to say, “Be as wise as serpents but as harmless as doves.” It seemed to be his purpose in all social situations to teach patience, tolerance, and forgiveness.

163.2.11 Jesus never personally had anything to do with the apostolic finances except in the disbursement of alms.

The public ministry of Jesus did indeed confront the physical, mental and emotional needs of those he encountered, but the crux of his ministry was spiritual. He taught his followers to respond to the feelings within one's soul with intelligent ministry to the "real needs" of one's fellows.

136.9.13 Throughout his public ministry he was confronted with the necessity of dealing with three constantly recurring situations: the clamor to be fed, the insistence on miracles, and the final request that he allow his followers to make him king. But Jesus never departed from the decisions which he made during these days of his isolation in the Perean hills.

157.2.2 And when the feelings of service for your fellow men arise within your soul, do not stifle them; when the emotions of love for your neighbor well up within your heart, give expression to such urges of affection in intelligent ministry to the real needs of your fellows.

And the "real needs" of one's fellows is spiritual. Jesus' public ministry was spiritual and he taught those in need to live courageously with faith.

p1583:05 The Master offered no solutions for the nonreligious problems of his own age nor for any subsequent age. Jesus wished to develop spiritual insight into eternal realities and to stimulate initiative in the originality of living; he concerned himself exclusively with the underlying and permanent spiritual needs of the human race. He revealed a goodness equal to God. He exalted love--truth, beauty, and goodness--as the divine ideal and the eternal reality.

p1776:06 Teach all believers to avoid leaning upon the insecure props of false sympathy. You cannot develop strong characters out of the indulgence of self-pity; honestly endeavor to avoid the deceptive influence of mere fellowship in misery. Extend sympathy to the brave and courageous while you withhold overmuch pity from those cowardly souls who only halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living. Offer not consolation to those who lie down before their troubles without a struggle. Sympathize not with your fellows merely that they may sympathize with you in return.

#57 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

All other spiritual revelations have involved the coming of personalities to this planet, usually in the flesh. This time, God sent a book not a person. Why? Because the person is already here and no one is paying any attention to him. The book is meant to open the mind and heart to truth. Who is truth that we can have a relationship with? We still need a person to help us, TUB is simply giving us the means to amplify our appreciation of who we already have. No apocalypse necessary, no need to return to ancient ways in order to find the buried the truth.

I believe the reason we were given a book instead of a person is because it is too dangerous for a person to come here. The Son would just get killed or persecuted again. I don’t believe after what happened to Jesus that Urantia would ever receive anything but books in the future. Other planets may have a long succession of Sons, but here on Urantia we will just have a library full of books. We just got this book this century. So that means that in another millennium or so the planet will receive another book and the next book will contain all the stories of the original UB readers' names, descriptions of our lives and personalities, just like what was done for the apostles.

There will be a chapter on Rick Warren and a chapter on Meredith. LOL. They’ll discuss Rick’s character strengths and weaknesses. Ha ha. They might include some of our forum discussions like the way the UB includes discussions with Rodan. Of course, we’ll be on the mansonia worlds when the next book comes out. Can you imagine how the apostles feel about what the midwayers wrote about them? John is probably saying,”They said I was immature and prideful?” The midwayers are probably compiling the next UB right now as we speak. I don’t want to know what they are going to say about me.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 29 December 2009 - 06:22 PM.

"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#58 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I believe the reason we were given a book instead of a person is because it is too dangerous for a person to come here. The Son would just get killed or persecuted again. I don’t believe after what happened to Jesus that Urantia would ever receive anything but books in the future. Other planets may have a long succession of Sons, but here on Urantia we will just have a library full of books.

Hi Jessica,

I see your point and I've thought about this myself. TUB tells us that we should have two world centers of civilization, culture, history, leadership and learning on this planet, one 500,000 years old and the other 37,000 years old. Now, the reason we do not have these centers is because the folks responsible for setting them up failed. We humans did not persecute or kill these celestial visitors and why that is I do not know. What makes the revelators think that we humans would not have tried to conquer, subdue and possibly pillage these centers with our usual war making mischief? In fact, we humans did not kill or persecute any of the celestials sent our way except Jesus and one has to wonder if there wasn't a greater purpose in God allowing that to happen. Actually, I think it's a miracle that no one killed Machiventa Melchizedek or Adam and Eve and their children, a real miracle.

Would we kill a visiting celestial? I kinda doubt it, we would more likely mock and ridicule, marginalize and disenfranchise like we do anyone who makes sense. It would be that or we'd succumb to hero worship, idolization and messianic myth making, while we kill each other fighting over who will be the favorite apostle that sits at his/her right hand.

#59 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

I don't believe TUB was promulgated to be a law book. I think it is more to be practiced in spirit rather than letter, once read and understood. It seems that Jesus brought His revelation first to the poor, living at subsistence levels in Galilee, and later to more affluent city dwellers, most of whom denied Him. My sense is that His message was/is that God loves man, seeks him out to save him, as noted in parables of the Prodigal son, the lost sheep, the lost coin, etc. His message is love, and especially "Mercy", with long explanations about forgiveness, tolerance, combatting evil with love, etc., and especially about not being critical when teaching about the Kingdom within.

As Bill Martin States: "He sought to alleviate suffering and instructed the apostles on how to minister to the health of the people they served.He could do little about the gross economic inequalities of the system he lived under but never stopped ministering to the whole person: mind, body and spirit."

He also stated His people "would strain at gnats", and lacked a sense of humor. If everyone applied the positive Golden Rule that Jesus taught, at the highest level, as He taught, people would respond positively.

#60 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi Jessica,

I see your point and I've thought about this myself. TUB tells us that we should have two world centers of civilization, culture, history, leadership and learning on this planet, one 500,000 years old and the other 37,000 years old. Now, the reason we do not have these centers is because the folks responsible for setting them up failed. We humans did not persecute or kill these celestial visitors and why that is I do not know. What makes the revelators think that we humans would not have tried to conquer, subdue and possibly pillage these centers with our usual war making mischief? In fact, we humans did not kill or persecute any of the celestials sent our way except Jesus and one has to wonder if there wasn't a greater purpose in God allowing that to happen. Actually, I think it's a miracle that no one killed Machiventa Melchizedek or Adam and Eve and their children, a real miracle.

Would we kill a visiting celestial? I kinda doubt it, we would more likely mock and ridicule, marginalize and disenfranchise like we do anyone who makes sense. It would be that or we'd succumb to hero worship, idolization and messianic myth making, while we kill each other fighting over who will be the favorite apostle that sits at his/her right hand.

It is true that The Prince and Material Sons and Melchizedek were not attacked. But Jesus was! And Jesus was the most recent Son. And he wasn't just killed. He was tortured to death. It was cruel and unusual. This world is known as "the world of the cross." No Son would volunteer to come here after that. And even if one of them did, universe judges who decree such things would probably forbid them. So it's a library full of books for us. Universe on lookers are not as quick to minimize violence as we Urantians are. We Urantians are desensitized to violence.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 30 December 2009 - 11:04 PM.

"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users