64 replies to this topic

#21 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Location:U.S. Pacific Northwest, Urantia, Nebadon, Orvonton,
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

HI Bill, (and all in this discussion),

B:My first question, to any who may be interested in this is: Is this Planetary Quarantine purely spiritual?

E: No, I don't think so. I think it involves the energy pathways discribed in Paper 29 just for starters. Then also there are probably a lot of normal Universe personel who's interplanetary communication functions are not utilized due to our state of quarantine. The message that Van was totally supported got "stuck" when the quarantine was imposed, and remained undelivered until accidently found.

B: (...) Quarantine (v. t.) To compel to remain at a distance, or in a given place, without intercourse, when suspected of having contagious disease; to put under, or in, quarantine. (...)

E: I think the Internet's effect on our planet is comparable to the disasterous effect rebellion would have on the Universe if our 37 worlds and Satania were not quarantined. The Internet where "anything qoes" presents nearly infinite potential evil that we do and will have to cope with individually and collectively over -probably- the next century (and beyond) if world electronic communication remains available.

B: We are told in the Urantia Book how valuable and useful it has been to the spiritual economy of the planet to have the use of the Archangel circuit here. Does this blockade prevent all communication initiated from this sphere, material and spiritual.

E: We can read in The Urantia Book how "a Universe looked on" Jesus hanging on the cross and he said, "..forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.." , so, it seems there is capacity for persons of the Universe to OBSERVE us, however they do that.

Some time ago I read that the Universe can not discern the mind of Adjusters. While looking for that quote, I found this on UBp.363:

In the mortal will creatures the Father is actually present in the indwelling Adjuster, a fragment of his prepersonal spirit; and the Father is also the source of the personality of such a mortal will creature. These Thought Adjusters, the bestowals of the Universal Father, are comparatively isolated; they indwell human minds but have no discernible connection with the ethical affairs of a local creation. They are not directly co-ordinated with the seraphic service nor with the administration of systems, constellations, or a local universe, not even with the rule of a Creator Son, whose will is the supreme law of his universe.

E: It appears that what "the Universe" can see is how we personalities behave; about the same we have available to us to determine our choices as we select working groups, for example.

oN THE OTHER HAND.. the UB goes on to say,

The indwelling Adjusters are one of God's separate but unified modes of contact with the creatures of his all but infinite creation.

ah HA, found that line I've been searching for.... UBp.313:

The beings of every newly created order, immediately upon receiving the breath of life, are instantly reflected on high; a living portrayal of the creature nature and potential is flashed to the superuniverse headquarters. Thus, by means of the discerners, are the Censors made fully cognizant of exactly "what manner of spirit" has been born on the worlds of space. So it is with mortal man: The Mother Spirit of Salvington knows you fully, for the Holy Spirit on your world "searches all things," and whatsoever the divine Spirit knows of you is immediately available whenever the secoraphic discerners reflect with the Spirit concerning the Spirit's knowledge of you. It should, however, be mentioned that the knowledge and plans of the Father fragments are not reflectible. The discerners can and do reflect the presence of the Adjusters (and the Censors pronounce them divine), but they cannot decipher the content of the mindedness of the Mystery Monitors.

E: To me this is clearly our call to BEHAVE!! ;) Truthfully, WELL & beautifully! As planetary citizens aware of Universe observation, our Urantia Book educated perspective gives us confidence to live enthusiastically, and the added scientific clarification to recognize GOD is also the instigator and upholder of all the MATERIAL world too. His Natural Law contains evolution, for example, and we are a decimal world of experimentation, a fact that UB students should consider usefully.

I find it interesting that Jesus' Personalized Adjuster is "DAD" to all Adjusters here.

Dear Ellen,
I agree with your point that without the Spirit of Truth we wouldn't progress nearly as far/fast and that we do live and move-have our being in his consort, the Universe Mother Spirit and get our bearings in this "dark world" from that sweet and comforting compass that tells us "This is the Way."
Love will show us the way
Bill

.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#22 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Religion. Music. Blues, Classic R&B and Gospel in particular.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi all:
Just to give a new perspective without posting endless quotes, I remember reading:
1. The Melchizadeks stated that the results of the evil created by the rebellion have not only been reduced but the good resulting therefrom is now exponential.
2. My memory is that our humans were perceived as victims, and additional spiritual helpers were added to the Planetary Government.
3. Adam and Eve defaulted, yet Michael gave them back their spiritual destiny as human ascenders (and they are on the Planetary board of 24 on Jerusem)!
4. Michael had decided to bestow here even before Machiventa Melchizadek was actualized.
5. That would mean that Michael knew He would send the Spirit of Truth here and everyone would get adjusters upon His completion of the bestowal. He then dispatched Lucifer and Satan while here. He chose us out of 10,000,000 worlds, so He knew we needed Him the most.
6. No human ascender was ever compromised.
7. Father God's plan is for His entire creation of created beings to have the goal of helping mortals acsend and achieve Finaliter status.

So, it seems this was an entirely spiritual rebellion, and that the quarantine is spiritual. Mercy has been plentiful for all spiritual beings accepting it, and many if not most accepted rehabilitation. Lucifer was a high spiritual creature, so he easily blinded and misled many.

Seems to me that God's plan for us mortals hasn't changed, and, has in fact been substantially increased. This would be consistent with His love and mercy.

Best to all,
Ted

Edited by Teobeck, 19 December 2009 - 10:45 PM.

#23 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi all:
Just to give a new perspective without posting endless quotes, I remember reading:
1. The Melchizadeks stated that the results of the evil created by the rebellion have not only been reduced but the good resulting therefrom is now exponential.
2. My memory is that our humans were perceived as victims, and additional spiritual helpers were added to the Planetary Government.
3. Adam and Eve defaulted, yet Michael gave them back their spiritual destiny as human ascenders (and they are on the Planetary board of 24 on Jerusem)!
4. Michael had decided to bestow here even before Machiventa Melchizadek was actualized.
5. That would mean that Michael knew He would send the Spirit of Truth here and everyone would get adjusters upon His completion of the bestowal. He then dispatched Lucifer and Satan while here. He chose us out of 10,000,000 worlds, so He knew we needed Him the most.
6. No human ascender was ever compromised.
7. Father God's plan is for His entire creation of created beings to have the goal of helping mortals acsend and achieve Finaliter status.

So, it seems this was an entirely spiritual rebellion, and that the quarantine is spiritual. Mercy has been plentiful for all spiritual beings accepting it, and many if not most accepted rehabilitation. Lucifer was a high spiritual creature, so he easily blinded and misled many.

Seems to me that God's plan for us mortals hasn't changed, and, has in fact been substantially increased. This would be consistent with His love and mercy.

Best to all,
Ted

Hello Ted,

I am interested in reading the salient quotes (not the endless ones) that address numbers 1 thru 7 you have stated. Memory sometimes can't be trusted (I speak for myself) and I'd like to read the text itself to see how you arrived at the place you are in your thinking about this subject. This will also help readers who are less conversant with the book.

Thanks so much.
Meredith

#24 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Will do tomorrow when I get the time. Not hard to find.
Ted

#25 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

From Paper 54:

(619.3) 54:6.6 At first the Lucifer upheaval appeared to be an unmitigated calamity to the system and to the universe. Gradually benefits began to accrue. With the passing of twenty-five thousand years of system time (twenty thousand years of Urantia time), the Melchizedeks began to teach that the good resulting from Lucifer’s folly had come to equal the evil incurred. The sum of evil had by that time become almost stationary, continuing to increase only on certain isolated worlds, while the beneficial repercussions continued to multiply and extend out through the universe and superuniverse, even to Havona. The Melchizedeks now teach that the good resulting from the Satania rebellion is more than a thousand times the sum of all the evil.

#26 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

The following form paper 43 covers the 2nd half of my statement #2, and I know there is more:

5. The Edentia Fathers Since the Lucifer Rebellion

(490.6) 43:5.1 The rotation of the Most Highs on Edentia was suspended at the time of the Lucifer rebellion. We now have the same rulers who were on duty at that time. We infer that no change in these rulers will be made until Lucifer and his associates are finally disposed of.

(490.7) 43:5.2 The present government of the constellation, however, has been expanded to include twelve Sons of the Vorondadek order. These twelve are as follows:

(490.8) 43:5.3 1. The Constellation Father. The present Most High ruler of Norlatiadek is number 617,318 of the Vorondadek series of Nebadon. He saw service in many constellations throughout our local universe before taking up his Edentia

(490.9) 43:5.4 2. The senior Most High associate.

(491.1) 43:5.5 3. The junior Most High associate.

(491.2) 43:5.6 4. The Most High adviser, the personal representative of Michael since his attainment of the status of a Master Son.

(491.3) 43:5.7 5. The Most High executive, the personal representative of Gabriel stationed on Edentia ever since the Lucifer rebellion.

(491.4) 43:5.8 6. The Most High chief of planetary observers, the director of the Vorondadek observers stationed on the isolated worlds of Satania.

(491.5) 43:5.9 7. The Most High referee, the Vorondadek Son intrusted with the duty of adjusting all difficulties consequential to rebellion within the constellation.

(491.6) 43:5.10 8. The Most High emergency administrator, the Vorondadek Son charged with the task of adapting the emergency enactments of the Norlatiadek legislature to the rebellion-isolated worlds of Satania.

(491.7) 43:5.11 9. The Most High mediator, the Vorondadek Son assigned to harmonize the special bestowal adjustments on Urantia with the routine administration of the constellation. The presence of certain archangel activities and numerous other irregular ministrations on Urantia, together with the special activities of the Brilliant Evening Stars on Jerusem, necessitates the functioning of this Son.

(491.8) 43:5.12 10. The Most High judge-advocate, the head of the emergency tribunal devoted to the adjustment of the special problems of Norlatiadek growing out of the confusion consequent upon the Satania rebellion.

(491.9) 43:5.13 11. The Most High liaison, the Vorondadek Son attached to the Edentia rulers but commissioned as a special counselor with the Faithful of Days regarding the best course to pursue in the management of problems pertaining to rebellion and creature disloyalty.

(491.10) 43:5.14 12. The Most High director, the president of the emergency council of Edentia. All personalities assigned to Norlatiadek because of the Satania upheaval constitute the emergency council, and their presiding officer is a Vorondadek Son of extraordinary experience.

(491.11) 43:5.15 And this takes no account of the numerous Vorondadeks, envoys of Nebadon constellations, and others who are also resident on Edentia.

(491.12) 43:5.16 Ever since the Lucifer rebellion the Edentia Fathers have exercised a special care over Urantia and the other isolated worlds of Satania. Long ago the prophet recognized the controlling hand of the Constellation Fathers in the affairs of nations. “When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people.”

(491.13) 43:5.17 Every quarantined or isolated world has a Vorondadek Son acting as an observer. He does not participate in planetary administration except when ordered by the Constellation Father to intervene in the affairs of the nations. Actually it is this Most High observer who “rules in the kingdoms of men.” Urantia is one of the isolated worlds of Norlatiadek, and a Vorondadek observer has been stationed on the planet ever since the Caligastia betrayal. When Machiventa Melchizedek ministered in semimaterial form on Urantia, he paid respectful homage to the Most High observer then on duty, as it is written, “And Melchizedek, king of Salem, was the priest of the Most High.” Melchizedek revealed the relations of this Most High observer to Abraham when he said, “And blessed be the Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand.”

#27 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

My statements 3&4, from Paper 74:

"(852.2) 76:5.3 Adam knew about the dispensational resurrection which occurred simultaneously with his arrival on the planet, and he believed that he and his companion would probably be repersonalized in connection with the advent of the next order of sonship. He did not know that Michael, the sovereign of this universe, was so soon to appear on Urantia; he expected that the next Son to arrive would be of the Avonal order. Even so, it was always a comfort to Adam and Eve, as well as something difficult for them to understand, to ponder the only personal message they ever received from Michael. This message, among other expressions of friendship and comfort, said: “I have given consideration to the circumstances of your default, I have remembered the desire of your hearts ever to be loyal to my Father’s will, and you will be called from the embrace of mortal slumber when I come to Urantia if the subordinate Sons of my realm do not send for you before that time.”

(852.3) 76:5.4 And this was a great mystery to Adam and Eve. They could comprehend the veiled promise of a possible special resurrection in this message, and such a possibility greatly cheered them, but they could not grasp the meaning of the intimation that they might rest until the time of a resurrection associated with Michael’s personal appearance on Urantia. And so the Edenic pair always proclaimed that a Son of God would sometime come, and they communicated to their loved ones the belief, at least the longing hope, that the world of their blunders and sorrows might possibly be the realm whereon the ruler of this universe would elect to function as the Paradise bestowal Son. It seemed too good to be true, but Adam did entertain the thought that strife-torn Urantia might, after all, turn out to be the most fortunate world in the system of Satania, the envied planet of all Nebadon."

I might add that both Adam and Eve (as well as I remember Moses and John the Baptist) are on the Panel of 24 representatives on Jerusem that govern Urantia as well as minister to all of the fallen worlds of Satania, and that successive Governor Generals of Urantia are chosen from that body, with John the Baptist just completing his tour here.

Michael's statement "when I come to Urantia" 37,000 years ago was the first indication that I remembered that He had decided to come long before Melchizadek came. I remember more but will have to search.

Ted

#28 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

My statement #6:
From Paper 54:

"(619.2) 54:6.5 And there is compensation for these trials, delays, and disappointments which invariably accompany the sin of rebellion. Of the many valuable repercussions of the Lucifer rebellion which might be named, I will only call attention to the enhanced careers of those mortal ascenders, the Jerusem citizens, who, by withstanding the sophistries of sin, placed themselves in line for becoming future Mighty Messengers, fellows of my own order. Every being who stood the test of that evil episode thereby immediately advanced his administrative status and enhanced his spiritual worth."

Since the UB states the mortal ascenders, Jerusem citizens (plural) withstood the sophistries of sin. This isn't definitive enough to state all ascenders stood that test, but I remember reading elsewhere that they all stood that test and will find it later. This is a good start.

Ted

#29 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

My statement 6 will have to be modified to "no human ascender who had attained final fusion was ever compromised". Looks like my memory isn't so infallible. It's been a few years since I read that section.

From Paper 53:

"(608.6) 53:7.10 The ascending mortals were vulnerable, but they withstood the sophistries of rebellion better than the lower spirits. While many on the lower mansion worlds, those who had not attained final fusion with their Adjusters, fell, it is recorded to the glory of the wisdom of the ascension scheme that not a single member of the Satania ascendant citizenship resident on Jerusem participated in the Lucifer rebellion."

Ted

#30 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

p761:6 67:7.7 Caligastia rebelled, Adam and Eve did default, but no mortal subsequently born on Urantia has suffered in his personal spiritual experience because of these blunders. Every mortal born on Urantia since Caligastia's rebellion has been in some manner time-penalized, but the future welfare of such souls has never been in the least eternity-jeopardized. No person is ever made to suffer vital spiritual deprivation because of the sin of another. Sin is wholly personal as to moral guilt or spiritual consequences, notwithstanding its far-flung repercussions in administrative, intellectual, and social domains.

#31 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

My statement 6 will have to be modified to "no human ascender who had attained final fusion was ever compromised". Looks like my memory isn't so infallible. It's been a few years since I read that section.

From Paper 53:

"(608.6) 53:7.10 The ascending mortals were vulnerable, but they withstood the sophistries of rebellion better than the lower spirits. While many on the lower mansion worlds, those who had not attained final fusion with their Adjusters, fell, it is recorded to the glory of the wisdom of the ascension scheme that not a single member of the Satania ascendant citizenship resident on Jerusem participated in the Lucifer rebellion."

Ted

Hi Ted, all,

Thanks for looking up the quotes to support your statements. I appreciate the effort. And corrections. The supporting material you provide for statement #2, ". . . and additional spiritual helpers were added to the Planetary Government," concern the expansion of the constellation government, rather than planetary government since the Lucifer rebellion, except where it says, "Every quarantined or isolated world has a Vorondadek Son acting as an observer." And also, "He [a Vorondadek Son] does not participate in planetary administration except when ordered by the Constellation Father to intervene in the affairs of the nations." (491) Isn't it marvelous that he is the Most High observer who “rules in the kingdoms of men"? It was enlightening to me to read about this again.

I am also pondering your #7 statement: "Father God's plan is for His entire creation of created beings to have the goal of helping mortals acsend and achieve Finaliter status." In my recollection other activities are going on in God's entire creation of created beings that have nothing whatever to do with helping mortals ascend to Finaliter status. For example:

In the discussion of Transcendentalers we are restricted, not only by the limitations of human comprehension, but also by the terms of the mandate governing these disclosures concerning the personalities of Paradise. These beings are in no way connected with the mortal ascent to Havona. The vast host of the Paradise Transcendentalers have nothing whatever to do with the affairs of either Havona or the seven superuniverses, being concerned only with the superadministration of the affairs of the master universe. (350)

But maybe you are only talking about created beings, not beings who were eventuated such as Transcendentalers. I'll have to ponder this point some more.

Cheers,
Meredith

#32 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

Since most of what I cited earlier from memory was generally correct, I'm sure I'll find the part again about the purpose of heaven being to help mortals to finaliter status. This shocked me at the time, as I also remember something about since mortals have to start out at the "bottom rung" with no security, those that survive become so stalwartly loyal that they somehow balance the Grand Universe or something like that.

It seems that there are an awful lot of beings helping us, like a billion Seraphim and a billion Cherubim here, several billion Adjusters, Morontia Helpers, Midwayers, and the list goes on where it seems we have hundreds of helpers for each one that ascends. Plus they need conciliators, and so many legislator beings, energy controllers, life carriers, Melchizadeks for schools, Material Sons/daughters, etc. etc. and mortals seem to be the only non created beings - very interesting.

When I read that Seraphim also ascend in pairs for helping mortals, and then pairs fuse into one, and then they fuse with a a non-Adjuster Father fragment as well, and then can become Finaliters, it also seems that mortal ascension even determines whether a lot of other beings ascend........

This is one big book to understand and remember, and after 20 years of continuous nightly reading I still draw blanks sometimes. But without it my life wouldn't have made a lot of sense, and I never would have been able to stay focused spiritually. I like to say that my Jet plane had no dashboard without the Holy Trinity, and I'd never have my limited understanding of that without Jesus.

#33 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:52 AM

The ascension plan is just another way of saying, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." Every thing and every person in every universe plays a role in eventually making all the universes "perfect".

So, what does it take to become perfect if perfect means free from any defect in quality, and quality means spirit substance?

130.4.11 Error (evil) is not an actual universe quality; it is simply the observation of a relativity in the relatedness of the imperfection of the incomplete finite to the ascending levels of the Supreme and Ultimate.

#34 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

The ascension plan is just another way of saying, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." Every thing and every person in every universe plays a role in eventually making all the universes "perfect".

So, what does it take to become perfect if perfect means free from any defect in quality, and quality means spirit substance?

Hi Bonita, all,

A Mighty Messenger tells us one of the "generally accepted hypotheses of the future of the Supreme" and his "relations to the present grand usniverse subsequent to its attainment of the status of light and life." (1292)

It is conjectured that at this far-distant time the spirit person of the Supreme and attained power of the Almighty will have achieved co-ordinate development, and that both, as unified in and by the Supreme Mind, will factualize as the Supreme Being, a completed actuality in the universes — an actuality which will be observable by all creature intelligences, reacted to by all created energies, co-ordinated in all spiritual entities, and experienced by all universe personalities. (1292)

They think the Supreme will be personally present on Uversa at that far distant time! But it is really only a conjecture they say.

In the meantime we might ponder how to go forward in the social order areanas of our world:

Go forward, not backward! Let evolution proceed! Do not take a backward step. (782)

Cheers,
Meredith

#35 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

In the meantime we might ponder how to go forward in the social order areanas of our world:

Go forward, not backward! Let evolution proceed! Do not take a backward step. (782)

It is not only forward movement in social arenas, but in moral, cultural, intellectual and spiritual arenas as well. TUB tells us that we have suffered many, many unfortunate retrogressions.

68.4.7 . . . But this does not mean that each separate and isolated change in the composition of human society has been for the better. No! indeed no! for there have been many, many retrogressions in the long forward struggle of Urantia civilization.

I firmly believe we are witnessing such a retrogression in this current generation with the inordinate growth of nature worshipping cults which, due to irrational emotionalism, have evaporated the separation of church and state, as they become the latest "new" religion. More hysteria is generated over the prosperity of an animal than a person, over the welfare of the physical planet than the welfare of the morontia soul. It just frosts me to no end.

TUB tells us that new religions do not just appear, they evolve. Our current generation has proven TUB correct again. Nature worship evolved many millennia ago, and now we have retrogressed back to a point where we will revisit it once more. It's just too painful to watch . . . all the more reason to pray without ceasing. Please hold our hands dear Lord, as we struggle to ascend.

Yes! Let evolution proceed indeed! Survival of the fittest! Let us learn to be fit, to recognize what is unfit and to stop revering and coddling it once we do! What is the root of this societal sickness, this perversion and fascination with regressive thinking? Sometimes I think it is due to an unwillingness of the collective psyche of man to let go of apocalyptic ideation, the desire for retribution while simultaneously fearing it. It's almost masochistic. Likewise, people, in general, are still unnecessarily afraid of what they do not understand yet too arrogant to accept that there are some things they cannot understand. It's a problem, this lack of true faith, a real problem worthy of prayer.

#36 John Anngeister

John Anngeister

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

I firmly believe we are witnessing such a retrogression in this current generation with the inordinate growth of nature worshipping cults

I think modern pagan rituals like this one at the Edinburgh Samhain this year are a good advertisement for the comparative beauty of Christianity, and the enormous advance upon the ancient ways which has been realized by some progressive forms of the religion of Jesus of Nazareth.

Be sure to turn on the sound for that link.

On the other hand, I see some similarities between the pagan pageantry and some of the traditional Christian forms.

Merry Christmas!

-John

TUB tells us that new religions do not just appear, they evolve. Our current generation has proven TUB correct again. Nature worship evolved many millennia ago, and now we have retrogressed back to a point where we will revisit it once more. It's just too painful to watch . . . all the more reason to pray without ceasing. Please hold our hands dear Lord, as we struggle to ascend.

Edited by John Anngeister, 24 December 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#37 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Well, that was a pretty sickening video John. Thanks, I think I'll go out back and sacrifice a goat or something.

#38 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

I think modern pagan rituals like this one at the Edinburgh Samhain this year are a good advertisement for the comparative beauty of Christianity, and the enormous advance upon the ancient ways which has been realized by some progressive forms of the religion of Jesus of Nazareth.

Be sure to turn on the sound for that link.

On the other hand, I see some similarities between the pagan pageantry and some of the traditional Christian forms.

Merry Christmas!

-John

Hi John, all,

I want to add a positive note, an educational point of reference to your comments, by supplying something from the UB about the history of evolved religion of the olden days, as an example of what the people of Urantia have come up through, since this planet was counted as inhabited:

The savage was early possessed with the notion that spirits derive supreme satisfaction from the sight of human misery, suffering, and humiliation. At first, man was only concerned with sins of commission, but later he became exercised over sins of omission. And the whole subsequent sacrificial system grew up around these two ideas. This new ritual had to do with the observance of the propitiation ceremonies of sacrifice. Primitive man believed that something special must be done to win the favor of the gods; only advanced civilization recognizes a consistently even-tempered and benevolent God. Propitiation was insurance against immediate ill luck rather than investment in future bliss. And the rituals of avoidance, exorcism, coercion, and propitiation all merge into one another. (974)

Much more about the history can be read in Paper 84 and other papers, if one desires to know more.

Meredith

#39 Teobeck

Teobeck

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Merry Christmas all. I'm thankful that we have around 50% of USA who attend church, as EU is down to around 20% I read. I think attendance is also up in Russia, and it's probably around 50% in Latin America. So there's hope for the planet.

As TUB often states spiritual development depends on geopolitical and economic status, education and parental guidance. Things are tough in the 3rd world, the Middle East, and Africa. There is probably more than 50% of the world living in poverty status, without any chance of education whatsoever. So without better government management of resources, this situation isn't going to get better any time soon. China and India are working on it.

If only the leaders all had good values, morals and ethics, change would happen much more quickly. But if they were that way, they'd never get any power. So it's a catch 22. In any event, I'm most thankful for my PRE, and TUB. At least I feel enlightened, and know that I prefer truth, beauty and goodness, and wish that would/could extend to all. It will someday.

Ted

#40 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Yes, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the feast on this day. Eastern Orthodox Christians celebrate it on Jan. 6th. I confess that I no longer partake in the religious side of this holiday and have given it back to the "heathens" to whom it belongs. However, it's still a nice day to display all the fruits of the spirit despite the fact that it is a regressive pagan holiday. I've chosen instead to celebrate family and friends by sharing the love of God unencumbered by the thousands of years of confused thinking which still haunts this day.

We celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th as a compromise to Mithraism, the main religion in Rome and Persia during early Christianity. December 25th is actually the day the Vedic solar deity Mithra was born. The annual festival of Mithra on the 25th was hugely popular and unlikely to be done away with as was its Roman counterpart, natalis solis invicti, "birth of the unconquered sun". Sometime around the year 273 C.E. the day was declared to be the birth of the Son, not the Sun. With Emperor Constantine making Christianity the state religion, the Roman festival was outlawed, then finally the cult of Mithra was outlawed during the reign of Emperor Gratian (367-383 AD) leaving December 25th entirely to the Christians who, by then, had adopted all the pagan pageantry and symbolism.

Actually, the earliest Church fathers fought against celebrating Christ's birth at all. Origen (c.185-c.254) preached that it would be wrong to honor Christ in the same way Pharaoh and Herod were honored. Birthdays were for pagan gods. But not all of the early fathers agreed and arguments ensued, especially when attempting to determine Jesus' date of birth. No one knew; but most agreed, oddly enough, that it should occur on a Wednesday because the sun was created on the fourth day. Go figure. It seems that the symbol of light and the source of that light prevailed in the minds of most men.

There are a lot of similarities between Mithraism and Christianity:

Virgin birth
Twelve followers
Death and resurrection
Savior known as the Light of the world
Miracles
Flood myth
Birthdate on December 25
Eating body and blood
Baptism
Holy water
Mankind's savior and intercessor
Judgment Day with the wicked destroyed by fire

98.5.4 The adherents of this cult worshiped in caves and other secret places, chanting hymns, mumbling magic, eating the flesh of the sacrificial animals, and drinking the blood. Three times a day they worshiped, with special weekly ceremonials on the day of the sun-god and with the most elaborate observance of all on the annual festival of Mithras, December twenty-fifth. It was believed that the partaking of the sacrament ensured eternal life, the immediate passing, after death, to the bosom of Mithras, there to tarry in bliss until the judgment day. On the judgment day the Mithraic keys of heaven would unlock the gates of Paradise for the reception of the faithful; whereupon all the unbaptized of the living and the dead would be annihilated upon the return of Mithras to earth. It was taught that, when a man died, he went before Mithras for judgment, and that at the end of the world Mithras would summon all the dead from their graves to face the last judgment. The wicked would be destroyed by fire, and the righteous would reign with Mithras forever.

98:6.3 During the third century after Christ, Mithraic and Christian churches were very similar both in appearance and in the character of their ritual. A majority of such places of worship were underground, and both contained altars whose backgrounds variously depicted the sufferings of the savior who had brought salvation to a sin-cursed human race.

p1083:4 98:6.4 Always had it been the practice of Mithraic worshipers, on entering the temple, to dip their fingers in holy water. And since in some districts there were those who at one time belonged to both religions, they introduced this custom into the majority of the Christian churches in the vicinity of Rome. Both religions employed baptism and partook of the sacrament of bread and wine. The one great difference between Mithraism and Christianity, aside from the characters of Mithras and Jesus, was that the one encouraged militarism while the other was ultrapacific. Mithraism's tolerance for other religions (except later Christianity) led to its final undoing. But the deciding factor in the struggle between the two was the admission of women into the full fellowship of the Christian faith.

98:5.3 The Mithraic cult portrayed a militant god taking origin in a great rock, engaging in valiant exploits, and causing water to gush forth from a rock struck with his arrows. There was a flood from which one man escaped in a specially built boat and a last supper which Mithras celebrated with the sun-god before he ascended into the heavens. This sun-god, or Sol Invictus, was a degeneration of the Ahura-Mazda deity concept of Zoroastrianism. Mithras was conceived as the surviving champion of the sun-god in his struggle with the god of darkness. And in recognition of his slaying the mythical sacred bull, Mithras was made immortal, being exalted to the station of intercessor for the human race among the gods on high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users