16 replies to this topic

#1 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Location:U.S. Pacific Northwest, Urantia, Nebadon, Orvonton,
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

UBp1001: "Prayer may be an angry cry for
vengeance or a merciful intercession for one's enemies.
It may be the expression of a hope of changing God or
the powerful technique of changing one's self. It
may be the cringing plea of a lost
sinner before a supposedly stern Judge
or the joyful expression of a liberated son of the living
and merciful heavenly Father."

Hi UaiForum'rs.. (edit 7/17/8 ~e)
Once in a while I think to look up the definition of a word.
If you want to join me, you are welcome! Present
your best found definition, illuminated by
"The URANTIA Book"

hope noun, verb, hoped, hop·ing.

–noun
1. the feeling that what is wanted can
be had or that events will turn out for the best
2. a particular instance of this feeling
3. grounds for this feeling in a particular instance
4. a person or thing in which expectations are centered
5. something that is hoped for

–verb (used with object)
6. to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
7. to believe, desire, or trust

–verb (used without object)
8. to feel that something desired may happen
9. Archaic. to place trust; rely (usually fol. by in).

—Idiom
10. hope against hope,
to continue to hope, although the outlook does not warrant it

—Related forms
hoper, noun
hop·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. expectancy, longing. 8. See expect.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary,
© Random House, Inc. 2006.

<a href="
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hope" target="_blank">http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hope</a>

Thanks!
(edited by me, Ellen)
.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#2 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

Two new words for the "Vocabulary Project":
- terminology -&- nomenclature -

terminology http://dictionary.re...wse/terminology

ter·mi·nol·o·gy
Pronunciation [tur-muh-nol-uh-jee]
–noun, plural -gies.
1.the system of terms belonging or peculiar to a science, art,
or specialized subject; nomenclature: the terminology of botany.
2.the science of terms, as in particular sciences or arts.

n. pl. ter·mi·nol·o·gies

The vocabulary of technical terms used in a particular field,
subject, science, or art; nomenclature.
The study of nomenclature.

[German Terminologie, from Medieval Latin terminus, expression; see term.]

ter'mi·no·log'i·cal (-nə-lŏj'ĭ-kəl) adj.,
ter'mi·no·log'i·cal·ly adv.,
ter'mi·nol'o·gist n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth EditionCopyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

terminology

1801, from Ger. Terminologie (1786), a hybrid coined by C.G. Schütz of Jena, from M.L. terminus "word, expression" (see terminus) + Gk. -logia "a dealing with, a speaking of."

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
terminology - noun
a system of words used to name things in a particular discipline; "legal terminology"; "biological nomenclature"; "the language of sociology"

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University. Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
terminology [təːmiˈnolədʒi] noun — plural termiˈnologies
the special words or phrases used in a particular art, science etc

Example: legal terminology; Every science has its own terminology.

Terminology Ter`mi*nol"o*gy\, n. [L. terminus term + -logy: cf. F. terminologie.]
1. The doctrine of terms; a theory of terms or appellations; a treatise on terms.
2. The terms actually used in any business, art, science, or the like;
nomenclature; technical terms; as, the terminology of chemistry.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

nomenclature http://dictionary.re...se/nomenclature

no·men·cla·ture
Spelled Pronunciation [noh-muhn-kley-cher, noh-men-kluh-cher, -choor]
–noun
1.a set or system of names or terms, as those used in a particular science or art, by an individual or community, etc.
2.the names or terms comprising a set or system.

[Origin: 1600–10; < L nōmenclātūra a calling by name, list of names. See nomenclator, -ure]
—Related forms
no·men·cla·tur·al, no·men·cla·to·ri·al ,
no·men·cla·tive [noh-muhn-kley-tiv] , adjective
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

no·men·cla·ture n.
A system of names used in an art or science: the nomenclature of mineralogy.
The procedure of assigning names to the kinds and groups of organisms listed in a taxonomic classification: the rules of nomenclature in botany.

[Latin nōmenclātūra, from nōmenclātor, nomenclator; see nomenclator.]

no'men·cla'tur·al adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

nomenclature

1610, "a name," from Fr. nomenclature, from L. nomenclatura "calling of names," from nomenclator "namer," from nomen "name" + calator "caller, crier," from calare "call out" (see calendar).
Nomenclator in Rome was the title of a steward whose job was to announce visitors, and also of a prompter who helped a stumping politician recall names and pet causes of his constituents. Meaning "list or catalogue of names" first attested 1635; that of "system of naming" is from 1664; sense of "terminology of a science" is from 1789.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

noun
a system of words used to name things in a particular discipline; "legal terminology"; "biological nomenclature"; "the language of sociology" [syn: terminology]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary -

Nomenclature No"men*cla`ture, n.
[L. nomenclatura: cf. F. nomenclature. See Nomenclator.]
1. A name. [Obs.] --Bacon.
2. A vocabulary, dictionary, or glossary. [R.]
3. The technical names used in any particular branch of science or art, or by any school or individual; as, the nomenclature of botany or of chemistry; the nomenclature of Lavoisier and his associates. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

~ ~ ~ August 14, 2008 ~ ~ ~
.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#3 Guest_Rey Baskerville_*

Guest_Rey Baskerville_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

PAPER 67 - THE PLANETARY REBELLION (it would appear George Lucas is not the brilliant mind I once thought he was)

The personal (centripetal) consequences of the creature's willful and persistent rejection of light are both inevitable and individual and are of concern only to Deity and to that personal creature. Such a soul-destroying harvest of iniquity is the inner reaping of the iniquitous will creature.

CENTRIPETAL
cen·trip·e·tal [sen-trip-i-tl]
- adjective
1. Moving or directed toward a center axis.
2. Operated by means of centripetal force.
3. Physiology Transmitting nerve impulses toward the central nervous system; afferent.
4. Botany Developing or progressing inward toward the center or axis, as in the head of a sunflower, in which the oldest flowers are near the edge and the youngest flowers are in the center
5. Tending or directed toward centralization: the centripetal effects of a homogeneous population.

[Origin: 1700-10; 1709, from ModL, coined by Sir Isaac Newton from L. centri- alternate comb. form of centrum "center" + petere "to fall, rush out"]

(n) cen·
trip·e·tal·ism
(adv) cen·trip·e·tal·ly

Edited by Rey Baskerville, 28 August 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#4 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

accounting

UBp1738: "When man had a strong urge to do something, good or evil, he was in the habit of accounting for these unusual emotions by remarking: `The Lord spoke to me saying, do thus and so, or go here and there.' Accordingly, since men so often and so violently ran into temptation, it became the habit of our forefathers to believe that God led them thither for testing, punishing, or strengthening. But you, indeed, now know better. You know that men are all too often led into temptation by the urge of their own selfishness and by the impulses of their animal natures. When you are in this way tempted, I admonish you that, while you recognize temptation honestly and sincerely for just what it is, you intelligently redirect the energies of spirit, mind, and body, which are seeking expression, into higher channels and toward more idealistic goals. In this way may you transform your temptations into the highest types of uplifting mortal ministry while you almost wholly avoid these wasteful and weakening conflicts between the animal and spiritual natures."

Investopedia Commentary:
"Concise accounting helps management make accurate decisions."

account ing

accounting

noun
1. a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions"

2. a system that provides quantitative information about finances

3. the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business [syn: accountancy]

4. a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business; forms part of a ledger of accounts

5. a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month" [syn: account]

American Heritage Dictionary
account
ac·count (ə-kount')
n.

A narrative or record of events.

A reason given for a particular action or event: What is the account for this loss?

A report relating to one's conduct: gave a satisfactory account of herself.

A basis or ground: no reason to worry on that account.

A formal banking, brokerage, or business relationship established to provide for regular services, dealings, and other financial transactions.

A precise list or enumeration of financial transactions.
Money deposited for checking, savings, or brokerage use.

A customer having a business or credit relationship with a firm: salespeople visiting their accounts.

Abbr. a/c or acct.

A formal banking, brokerage, or business relationship established to provide for regular services, dealings, and other financial transactions.

A precise list or enumeration of financial transactions.
Money deposited for checking, savings, or brokerage use.

A customer having a business or credit relationship with a firm: salespeople visiting their accounts.

Worth, standing, or importance: a landowner of some account.

Profit or advantage: turned her writing skills to good account.

tr.v. ac·count·ed, ac·count·ing, ac·counts

To consider as being; deem. See Synonyms at consider. See Usage Note at as1.

Phrasal Verb(s):
account for

To constitute the governing or primary factor in: Bad weather accounted for the long delay.

To provide an explanation or justification for: The suspect couldn't account for his time that night.

Idiom(s):
call to account

To challenge or contest.

To hold answerable for.

Idiom(s):
on account
On credit.

Idiom(s):
on account of
Because of; for the sake of: "We got married on account of the baby" (Anne Tyler).

Idiom(s):
on no account
Under no circumstances.

Idiom(s):
on (one's) own account

For oneself.
On one's own; by oneself: He wants to work on his own account.

Idiom(s):
take into account
To take into consideration; allow for.

[Middle English, from Old French acont, from aconter, to reckon : a-, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + cunter, to count (from Latin computāre, to sum up; see compute).]

American Heritage Dictionary -
accounting
ac·count·ing
n. The bookkeeping methods involved in making a financial record of business transactions and in the preparation of statements concerning the assets, liabilities, and operating results of a business.

accounting

noun
1. a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions"

2. a system that provides quantitative information about finances

3. the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business [syn: accountancy]

4. a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business; forms part of a ledger of accounts

5. a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month" [syn: account]

American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition -
accounting
The system of recording and auditing business transactions. (See audit.)

[Chapter:] Business and Economics

accounting
ac·count·ing Posted Image
–noun
1. the theory and system of setting up, maintaining, and auditing the books of a firm; art of analyzing the financial position and operating results of a business house from a study of its sales, purchases, overhead, etc. (distinguished from bookkeeping).

2. a detailed report of the financial state or transactions of a person or entity: an accounting of the estate.

3. the rendering or submission of such a report.
Investopedia -
Accounting

To provide a record such as funds paid or received for a person or business. Accounting summarizes and submits this information in reports and statements. The reports are intended both for the firm itself and outside parties.

Investopedia Commentary

Concise accounting helps management make accurate decisions.

Related Links

Advanced Financial Statement Analysis

See also: Accountant, Annual Report, Cook the Books, Cookie Jar Accounting, CPA, GAAP

Investopedia.com. Copyright © 1999-2005 - All rights reserved. Owned and Operated by Investopedia Inc.
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law -
Main Entry: ac·count·ing
Function: noun

1 : an often court-ordered presentment or examination of accounts accounting would be necessary to determine the nature of the expenditures

2 : the settlement by judicial action of the assets of a partnership (as upon dissolution)

~ ~ ~ 10/6/8 ~ ~ ~

#5 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi Ellen, All,

The word "accounting" is one of my favorite words.  The quote you cite mentions the olden explanation by people of why they did thus and so, "The Lord spoke to me saying. . . ."  The many definitions you offer have mostly to do with financial matters, but this one might stick:  " A reason given for a particular action or event: What is the account for this loss?", or this one,  "To provide an explanation or justification for: The suspect couldn't account for his time that night."  And there are others you mention that relate to human habits of explaining why they did thus and so, and relate to justifications for doing thus and so.  But Jesus kicks it up the Richter scale when he talks about human temptations and selfishness.  He tells us to "'...intelligently redirect the energies of spirit, mind, and body, which are seeking expression, into higher channels and toward more idealistic goals. In this way may you transform your temptations into the highest types of uplifting mortal ministry while you almost wholly avoid these wasteful and weakening conflicts between the animal and spiritual natures.'"

The word "accounting" is of particular interest to me, as a businessperson.  A few years back I worked for a small non-profit organization.  I was on the sidelines of the governing board and overheard the discussion of board members, as they figured out an acceptable way to hide money already spent overbudget in one area to another budgeted area.  My guess is that this practice is common in organizations.  It was a big surprise to me!  But then, I'm not an accountant.  And maybe that is a totally acceptable practice of organizations.  They weren't trying to do anything other than making the numbers come out right.

A couple of other words come to mind in conjunction with accounting:  responsibility, integrity, accountability.  Individuals are responsible for getting their own numbers right.  I am accountable for my own personal finances.  I can't blame anyone or God if things go haywire for me.  Each of us has a value scale of what we consider to be our wants, needs and lures.  What works for me may not work for you.  This is a good time to take an accounting or assessment of things.  Practical matters such as putting food on the table and keeping the lights on are in the forefront for some.  I am fortunate to have a job, and thank God everyday for this gift.

My thoughts and prayers to all who have fallen on hard times. 
Meredith

[quote name='Ellen Gaynor' date='Oct 6 2008, 03:42 PM' post='5641']

accounting     

UBp1738: "When man had a strong urge to do something, good or evil, he was in the habit of accounting for these unusual emotions by remarking: `The Lord spoke to me saying, do thus and so, or go here and there.' Accordingly, since men so often and so violently ran into temptation, it became the habit of our forefathers to believe that God led them thither for testing, punishing, or strengthening. But you, indeed, now know better. You know that men are all too often led into temptation by the urge of their own selfishness and by the impulses of their animal natures. When you are in this way tempted, I admonish you that, while you recognize temptation honestly and sincerely for just what it is, you intelligently redirect the energies of spirit, mind, and body, which are seeking expression, into higher channels and toward more idealistic goals. In this way may you transform your temptations into the highest types of uplifting mortal ministry while you almost wholly avoid these wasteful and weakening conflicts between the animal and spiritual natures." 

Investopedia Commentary: "Concise accounting helps management make accurate decisions."                account ing     accounting         noun                                                                          1. a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions" 

>>>>>>snipped<<<<<<<<<<<

Edited by Meredith Van Woert, 08 October 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#6 nameless until fused

nameless until fused

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Individuals are responsible for getting their own numbers right. 

Since you brought it up B), I believe "accounting" is being asked of those people who put themselves in charge of everyone else's "numbers". Banks held your "clean" money and what you might deem to be someone else's "dirty" money and soon that mix morphed into "metaphysical" money! Very creative, but somewhere the "physics" of the flow was being calculated by a wrong math "formula".

I have a list of "jobs" that I walked off of over the years in the USA and I have never regretted doing that. Granted, it's getting harder and harder to find a job that feels "right"....but the times they are a-changing....

As JPII used to tell the teenagers - "have no fear"!

Should be another week or two before commercials come out advertising a sleep-number mattress with a built-in safebox and an overhead shelf for a shotgun ;)

#7 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

(...) Jesus kicks it up the Richter scale when he talks about human temptations and selfishness. He tells us to "'...intelligently redirect the energies of spirit, mind, and body, which are seeking expression, into higher channels and toward more idealistic goals. In this way may you transform your temptations into the highest types of uplifting mortal ministry while you almost wholly avoid these wasteful and weakening conflicts between the animal and spiritual natures.'"

( ... ) A couple of other words come to mind in conjunction with accounting: responsibility, integrity, accountability. Individuals are responsible for getting their own numbers right. I am accountable for my own personal finances. I can't blame anyone or God if things go haywire for me. Each of us has a value scale of what we consider to be our wants, needs and lures. What works for me may not work for you. This is a good time to take an accounting or assessment of things. Practical matters such as putting food on the table and keeping the lights on are in the forefront for some. I am fortunate to have a job, and thank God everyday for this gift.

My thoughts and prayers to all who have fallen on hard times.
Meredith

RE: accounting

Investopedia Commentary: "Concise accounting helps management make accurate decisions." accounting noun 1. a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions"
>>>>>>snipped<<<<<<<<<<<

Very well said, Meredith!

I'm glad you (and "Nuf") see the broad implication of "account"ability, and can articulate it, as well. We know the intrinsic value of faithful pursuit of TRUTH, BEAUTY and GOODNESS! Our entire world now has a profound opportunity to examine the inescapable fact that unsound practices (UNaccount-ability) eventuates in collapse of a system.

Heres hoping we all.."..intelligently redirect the energies of spirit, mind, and body, which are seeking expression, into higher channels and toward more idealistic goals. In this way (we may) transform (our) temptations into the highest types of uplifting mortal ministry while (we may) almost wholly avoid these wasteful and weakening conflicts between the animal and spiritual natures."

..and.. we have direct evidence that not doing our Father's will results in phoney illusions which collapse inevitably.

It is being said that our current world economic condition will improve when people regain confidence in our systems. I think confidence will return when people are held accountable for intentionally fleecing the markets, and their bad deeds exposed for what they are. Once again, the mistake of unmitigated self-interest should be revealed for the retarding effect it has on the greater good.

When people are allowed to practice theft and deception on a grand scale, they should be held responsible on a grand scale. Betrayal of innocents (public trust) is at the top of detestable deeds in The URANTIA Book.

Ellen

#8 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

Dear Meredith and Ellen,

I would just like to say how nice it is to have the both of you here. We have missed your valuable contributions.

Love,

Bill Martin.m
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#9 nameless until fused

nameless until fused

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Page 604 – “Lucifer maintained that far too much time and energy were expended upon the scheme of so thoroughly training ascending mortals in the principles of universe administration, principles which he alleged were unethical and unsound.”

Lucifer was the original “cheap” manager of resources. Lucifer always decided who was worth it – worth access to the resources of a “friendly and generous” universe administration that he deemed was “unethical and unsound”. The word used for his attitude towards the material needs of ascenders was “derision”.

Not surprising that there should ALSO be the same “derision”, the same miserliness attitude toward the dissemination of “truth”, is it? Should anyone who is supposedly God-knowing and entertaining the clarification of history in the UB be saying stuff like, “People are not ready, too stupid and not pure enough for The Urantia Book”?

I don’t get metaphysical when it comes to math – it’s clear that with 7 billion people on the planet, the cost of “war” can no longer be recouped by the value of the booty DERIVED from war. War is no longer the cheapest way to get rich.

Lots of humdinger scenarios for how it’s going to go with the game of sticking someone else with the check…no one at the table seems to be arguing “…oh no, I can’t let you do that, let me pay…”. They’re all trying to sneak out the door and leave the “service” people stuck with the check.

Just a suggestion, I’d lay off of the psychological tactic of getting “personal”. Developing a personal relationship with God is not the same thing as developing a personal relationship with lawless financial institutions. Applying "metaphysics" right now is a cruel joke - "derision".

#10 PHIL

PHIL

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:<br />Music,Sports,Movies

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

I don’t get metaphysical when it comes to math – it’s clear that with 7 billion people on the planet, the cost of “war” can no longer be recouped by the value of the booty DERIVED from war. War is no longer the cheapest way to get rich.

Lots of humdinger scenarios for how it’s going to go with the game of sticking someone else with the check…no one at the table seems to be arguing “…oh no, I can’t let you do that, let me pay…”. They’re all trying to sneak out the door and leave the “service” people stuck with the check.

Just a suggestion, I’d lay off of the psychological tactic of getting “personal”. Developing a personal relationship with God is not the same thing as developing a personal relationship with lawless financial institutions. Applying "metaphysics" right now is a cruel joke - "derision".

REPLY;

BRILLIANT AS THE BRITS WOULD SAY B)

#11 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

(...)
I don't get metaphysical when it comes to math – it's clear that with 7 billion people on the planet, the cost of "war" can no longer be recouped by the value of the booty DERIVED from war. War is no longer the cheapest way to get rich.

Lots of humdinger scenarios for how it's going to go with the game of sticking someone else with the check…no one at the table seems to be arguing "…oh no, I can't let you do that, let me pay…". They're all trying to sneak out the door and leave the "service" people stuck with the check.

Just a suggestion, I'd lay off of the psychological tactic of getting "personal". Developing a personal relationship with God is not the same thing as developing a personal relationship with lawless financial institutions. Applying "metaphysics" right now is a cruel joke - "derision".

Hi "Nuf",
I am confused about your meaning.. especially:

Applying "metaphysics" right now is a cruel joke - "derision".

Are you speaking generally, or are you talking about our specific comments?

Also, I am interested to pursue a discussion based on the list of things society is supposed to prevent as noted under the title including "...prevent ... 8. exploitation by the unscrupulous" OR another title you chose to post beginning a thread getting at the answer to my question about your meaning. Thank you !
Ellen
ps. thanks to you, Bill, and Meredith much!

#12 nameless until fused

nameless until fused

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

I am confused about your meaning.. especially:

Applying "metaphysics" right now is a cruel joke - "derision".

Are you speaking generally, or are you talking about our specific comments?

Also, I am interested to pursue a discussion based on the list of things society is supposed to prevent as noted under the title including "...prevent ... 8. exploitation by the unscrupulous" OR another title you chose to post beginning a thread getting at the answer to my question about your meaning. Thank you !

Hi Ellen,

I was referring, in general, to "metaphysics" as discussed in the UB in many Papers. "Metaphysics" is referred to as a "failure". Focusing on a "person" as the CAUSE of a PHYSICS (math/mechanics) error is an attitude of "derision" towards a person, at least that's how I perceive it B) It's just bad public relations...

We probably should start a different thread about "exploitation by the unscrupulous" and how the ideaologies and isms of the 20th century, that are being "globalized" in this first decade of the 21st century, are actually PROMOTING "exploitation by the unscrupulous"....Page 603 - "Most bitterly did he attack the right of the Ancients of Days - "foreign potentates" - to interfere in the affairs of the local systems and universes."

I believe the buzz word is "deregulation" ;). Brute force was exerted to enforce "deregulation" - mostly the brute spiritual force of "fear". Yet another form of an attitude of "derision" - EXPLOIT the animal weaknesses of the evolutionary remnant of fear in the "mind". So let's follow the bouncing ball - first comes the attitude - "too much time and energy", then comes the "derision" - use fear to control, and, finally, placing "justice" and "law" so far above the reach of humans because it has become "metaphysical" (a FAILURE). Basically, no one knows what the modern day followers of Lucifer are doing when it comes to "Law". Humans EARNED, through thousands of years of our own rational experience, the RIGHT to enforce OUR experientially earned philosophy in regards to "law" UNMOLESTED by the "metaphysics" of Lucifer's Manifesto! Not only were we UNGUIDED by the "leadership" of Lucifer, but until Jesus lived with us here on Urantia, we were psychically harassed by his "leadership"! We DESERVE our own LAWS that we have learned actually protect us from Lucifer's Manifesto!

When I look around today, civilization is still standing. Food, roads, distribution, homes, "stuff"...whatever the heck is wrong with the bank's math fomulas, obviously, is completely "metaphysical" :o No one is going to let "metaphysics" dismantle ALL of LIFE-MAINTENANCE! That's so delusional of a belief, that maybe it's time to set up a fence around the meeting that its adherents are having today - "institutionalize" them, so to speak - they obviously have lost their minds.

Back to real HOPE - Page 2076 - "Scientists have unintentially precipitated mankind into a materialistic panic; they have started an unthinking run on the moral bank of the ages, but this bank of human experience has vast spiritual resources; it can stand the demands being made upon it. Only unthinking men become panicky about the spiritual assets of the human race. When the materialistic-secular panic is over, the religion of Jesus will not be found bankrupt. The spiritual bank of the kingdom of heaven will be paying out faith, hope, and moral security to all who draw upon it "in His name."

Any questions WHY Jesus took on the "pharisees" and their wannabees? Page 1515 - "The Son of Man clearly saw that his choice between these two modes of conduct would have nothing to do with his reception of universe sovereignty; that was a matter already settled and sealed on the records of the universe of universes and only awaited his demand in person."

Kind regards.

#13 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hi Ellen,
(. . .)Back to real HOPE - Page 2076 - "Scientists have unintentially precipitated mankind into a materialistic panic; they have started an unthinking run on the moral bank of the ages, but this bank of human experience has vast spiritual resources; it can stand the demands being made upon it. Only unthinking men become panicky about the spiritual assets of the human race. When the materialistic-secular panic is over, the religion of Jesus will not be found bankrupt. The spiritual bank of the kingdom of heaven will be paying out faith, hope, and moral security to all who draw upon it "in His name."

Any questions WHY Jesus took on the "pharisees" and their wannabees? Page 1515 - "The Son of Man clearly saw that his choice between these two modes of conduct would have nothing to do with his reception of universe sovereignty; that was a matter already settled and sealed on the records of the universe of universes and only awaited his demand in person."
Kind regards.

E: aahhh..don't get me started about (TV show) C*N's (P** R*****son's) galvanizing ignorant-innocent people's visceral instinct of hate masquarading as religion; likely escaping taxes based on their world TV "ministry"!!! ARE THEY? Do TV religious shows get excused from taxes? ..if they are talking politics? ..seem to exist TO talk politics?

***whew*** ;)

#14 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi Ellen,

Back to the Vocabulary Project: HOPE. A few months back you wrote:

[color="#A0522D"]Hi UaiForum'rs.. (edit 7/17/8 ~e)
Once in a while I think to look up the definition of a word.
If you want to join me, you are welcome! Present
your best found definition, illuminated by
"The URANTIA Book"

hope noun, verb, hoped, hop·ing.

–noun
1. the feeling that what is wanted can
be had or that events will turn out for the best
2. a particular instance of this feeling
3. grounds for this feeling in a particular instance
4. a person or thing in which expectations are centered
5. something that is hoped for

–verb (used with object)
6. to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
7. to believe, desire, or trust

–verb (used without object)
8. to feel that something desired may happen
9. Archaic. to place trust; rely (usually fol. by in).

—Idiom
10. hope against hope,
to continue to hope, although the outlook does not warrant it

—Related forms
hoper, noun
hop·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. expectancy, longing. 8. See expect.

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary,
© Random House, Inc. 2006.

http://dictionary.re...com/browse/hope

Thanks!
(edited by me, Ellen) [/color
]

I wanted to pick back up on this thread. I think the UB is a book of HOPE. The book is a resource about our origin, history (which is evolving), and our destiny. It is written in a very posiitive vein. I do not recall reading anything in the book which would lead me to beleive non-hopeful verbiage espoused by some people these days. Don't you think we, the people of the world, will always be grappling with one problem or another? We're going to have misunderstandings for a long time going forward. We're going to have differing viewponts and perspectives, different worldviews, different religious outlooks, different political views, different ideas about money and accountibility, and ideas about who should pay or not pay for what. And yet hope, undying hope, is one of the fruits of the spirit.

Among other things the morontia Jesus said on his 18th appearance (2054), he said:

[indent=1]"And the fruits of the divine spirit which are yielded in the lives of spirit-born and God-knowing mortals are: loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace. If professed believers bear not these fruits of the divine spirit in their lives, they are dead; the Spirit of Truth is not in them; they are useless branches on the living vine, and they soon will be taken away. My Father requires of the children of faith that they bear much spirit fruit. If, therefore, you are not fruitful, he will dig about your roots and cut away your unfruitful branches. Increasingly, must you yield the fruits of the spirit as you progress heavenward in the kingdom of God."[indent=1]

Naysayers might chide, irritate and provoke people who are hopeful. But Jesus tells us to keep HOPE alive and undying. It is a spiritual fruit we must bear much of in our lives.

I learned something very interesting recently from an individual at work. He and I were conversing about a philosophical matter. Somehow the question "Is the glass half full or half empty?" came up and he said to me, "It depends on if you are thirsty." So, I will leave you to think about which way that goes - half-full or half-empty. Much depends on one's attitude.

Cheers
Meredith

#15 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi Meredith, You said,
"Much depends on one's attitude."

aND, you quoted Jesus' saying,
"..fruits of the divine spirit which are yielded in the lives of spirit-born and God-knowing mortals are: loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.."

E: Today I was struck, again, by HOPE as I watched our local City, County, and State TVChannels where panels of diverse origin intelligently -lovingly- discussed true concepts pertinant to all of us. There IS "a perfect WAY" and these people are bravely pursuing collaborative solution to large common problems as they bring their whole soul to them, the problems, people and solutions all for us to witness "in real time".

It flabbergasts me to think we UB students are of very few who are lucky -blessed- fortunate to have possibility of enhanced PERSPECTIVE provided by The URANTIA Book!!!
i like your observationess, Meredith -EllenRG

Hi Ellen,

Back to the Vocabulary Project: HOPE. A few months back you wrote:

[color="#A0522D"] ( . edited out ~e . )

hope ( . edited out ~e . )

I wanted to pick back up on this thread. I think the UB is a book of HOPE. The book is a resource about our origin, history (which is evolving), and our destiny. It is written in a very posiitive vein. I do not recall reading anything in the book which would lead me to beleive non-hopeful verbiage espoused by some people these days. Don't you think we, the people of the world, will always be grappling with one problem or another? We're going to have misunderstandings for a long time going forward. We're going to have differing viewponts and perspectives, different worldviews, different religious outlooks, different political views, different ideas about money and accountibility, and ideas about who should pay or not pay for what. And yet hope, undying hope, is one of the fruits of the spirit.

Among other things the morontia Jesus said on his 18th appearance (2054), he said:

[indent=1]"And the fruits of the divine spirit which are yielded in the lives of spirit-born and God-knowing mortals are: loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace. If professed believers bear not these fruits of the divine spirit in their lives, they are dead; the Spirit of Truth is not in them; they are useless branches on the living vine, and they soon will be taken away. My Father requires of the children of faith that they bear much spirit fruit. If, therefore, you are not fruitful, he will dig about your roots and cut away your unfruitful branches. Increasingly, must you yield the fruits of the spirit as you progress heavenward in the kingdom of God."[indent=1]

Naysayers might chide, irritate and provoke people who are hopeful. But Jesus tells us to keep HOPE alive and undying. It is a spiritual fruit we must bear much of in our lives.

I learned something very interesting recently from an individual at work. He and I were conversing about a philosophical matter. Somehow the question "Is the glass half full or half empty?" came up and he said to me, "It depends on if you are thirsty." So, I will leave you to think about which way that goes - half-full or half-empty. Much depends on one's attitude.

Cheers
Meredith

#16 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

UBp1296: 2. OMNIPRESENCE AND UBIQUITY The ubiquity of Deity must not be confused with the ultimacy of the divine omnipresence. It is volitional with the Universal Father that the Supreme, the Ultimate, and the Absolute should compensate, co-ordinate, and unify his time-space ubiquity and his time-space-transcended omnipresence with his timeless and spaceless universal and absolute presence. And you should remember that, while Deity ubiquity may be so often space associated, it is not necessarily time conditioned.

(first definition from Webster's - note at end)

ubiquity
Main Entry:ubiq·ui·ty Pronunciation:

\yü-ˈbi-kwə-tē\

Function:noun Etymology:Latin ubique everywhere, from ubi where + -que, enclitic generalizing particle; akin to Latin quis who and to Latin -que and — more at who, sesqui-Date:1579 : presence everywhere or in many places especially simultaneously : omnipresence

–noun 1. the state or capacity of being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresence: the ubiquity of magical beliefs. 2. (initial capital letterPosted Image) Theology. the omnipresence of God or Christ. Origin:
1570–80; < NL ubiquitās, equiv. to L ubīqu(e) everywhere + -itās -ity
Posted Image Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009. Posted Image (yōō-bĭk'wĭ-tē) Posted Image
n. Existence or apparent existence everywhere at the same time; omnipresence: "the repetitiveness, the selfsameness, and the ubiquity of modern mass culture" (Theodor Adorno ).

[New Latin ubīquitās, from Latin ubīque, everywhere : ubī, where; see kwo- in Indo-European roots + -que, and, generalizing particle; see kwe in Indo-European roots.] The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Ubiquity

U*biq"ui*ty\, n. [L. ubique everywhere, fr. ubi where, perhaps for cubi, quobi (cf. alicubi anywhere), and if so akin to E. who: cf. F. ubiquit['e].]1. Existence everywhere, or in places, at the same time; omnipresence; as, the ubiquity of God is not disputed by those who admit his existence. The arms of Rome . . . were impeded by . . . the wide spaces to be traversed and the ubiquity of the enemy. --C. Merivale. 2. (Theol.) The doctrine, as formulated by Luther, that Christ's glorified body is omnipresent. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

ubiquity
1579, from M.Fr. ubiquité (17c.), from L. ubique "everywhere," from ubi "where" (see ubi) + que "any, also, ever," a suffix that can give universal meaning to the word it is attached to. Originally a Lutheran theological position maintaining the omnipresence of Christ. Ubiquitous in the sense of "turning up everywhere" is first recorded 1837, originally a jocular extension of the theological word. Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Hi to you all,
I'd never used or understood this word until reading it in The URANTIA Book. Since I needed to look it up to be sure, I thought I'd share my findings with you. "Ubiquity" is mentioned intermittently throughout the Papers concerning the Supreme Being.

UBp1296: "God the Supreme may not be a demonstration of the time-space omnipresence of Deity, but he is literally a manifestation of divine ubiquity. Between the spiritual presence of the Creator and the material manifestations of creation there exists a vast domain of the ubiquitous becoming--the universe emergence of evolutionary Deity."

By the way.. I've really been enjoying my subscription to the excellent unfolding conversation on "Topic: Jesus' Spirit of Truth (Forum: The Life and Teachings of Jesus)"
Ellen RG

#17 Guest_rich_*

Guest_rich_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

160:1.11 I am deeply impressed with the custom of Jesus in going apart by himself to engage in these seasons of solitary survey of the problems of living; to seek for new stores of wisdom and energy for meeting the manifold demands of social service; to quicken and deepen the supreme purpose of living by actually subjecting the total personality to the consciousness of contacting with divinity; to grasp for possession of new and better methods of adjusting oneself to the ever-changing situations of living existence; to effect those vital reconstructions and readjustments of one’s personal attitudes which are so essential to enhanced insight into everything worth while and real; and to do all of this with an eye single to the glory of God — to breathe in sincerity your Master’s favorite prayer, “Not my will, but yours, be done.”

i meditate every day for this same purpose. that is my favorite prayer also.

[indent=1]UBp1001: "Prayer may be an angry cry for
vengeance or a merciful intercession for one's enemies.
It may be the expression of a hope of changing God or
the powerful technique of changing one's self.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users