33 replies to this topic

#21 Joe DiMaggio

Joe DiMaggio

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

You know Ellen, there are a lot of people out there talking about this movie thing.

I wish I knew how to make something like that happen. I agree with you that it should not mention The Urantia Book directly, lest it become identified as a "cult" thing by our unknowing fellows. Some of us here in Florida thought that taking some small story from the book and producing a low-cost "pilot" might get the attention of others with greater resources to help with something more comprehensive.

Personally, I think it is getting high time for the revelation to come out of the closet. Many disagree with me and I'd love to hear their thoughts on this matter. The arguments against have some merit as well.

Love Ya,
Joe

#22 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I just returned home from a 3 day work related trip and vary glad to see some response on this post.

Mario
I found the Shype site and you are correct it is almost exactly like the Ventrilo. The features you referred to such as passwords and so on are the same in Vertrilo. The only reason to put a password on was to keep the server session from being abused by anyone cruising the web. This could all change but I didn't want to start off without thinking this through first. By the use of channels (another name for groups) we could support multiple study group channels, a channel for administrative type communications (used like a instant teleconference resource) and many other applications. The is a default area that users access ( when not logging into a channel) is called the Lobby and anyone could be allowed to get onto that part of the server and talk. I just didn't want to proceed with some kind of plan in place. I'm not sure who I should be involved with the planning process. Any input would be appreciated. This could be beneficial in many more ares than just access for study groups

Ellen
You can download the blog radio broadcasts as a mp3 file whick can be sent as an email attachment or played using something like media player.

Gary

#23 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Dear Mario ,

I'm visualizing down the road, say a year or so, 2, 3 or more study groups going on at the same time, or different times, depending on people's time zones.

I sure hope it's not that long, Mario.

Tell You What. Lets all the Mods and Admins set up with Skype soonest. Let's get a hyperlink up and download the software; if you are on an old desktop, make sure you have a mic and speakers. Most laptops are ready to go. I see no obstacleswe cannot over come.

Bill Martin
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#24 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

You know Ellen, there are a lot of people out there talking about this movie thing.

I wish I knew how to make something like that happen. I agree with you that it should not mention The Urantia Book directly, lest it become identified as a "cult" thing by our unknowing fellows. Some of us here in Florida thought that taking some small story from the book and producing a low-cost "pilot" might get the attention of others with greater resources to help with something more comprehensive.

Personally, I think it is getting high time for the revelation to come out of the closet. Many disagree with me and I'd love to hear their thoughts on this matter. The arguments against have some merit as well.

Love Ya,
Joe

First, Joe, last time we talked i was so excited, I kept interrupting you. I apologize.

Speaking of the Urantia Book, I agree with not mentioning it directly. The real message is the Gospel which does need to be emphasized and repeated over and over. And CULT has experienced "meaning drift" since Jim Jones and Jamestown and David Koresh and Waco, much like the word Gay.

Here is what the Book says about the NEED for new cults:

P.966 - 1 Regardless of the drawbacks and handicaps, every new revelation of truth has given rise to a new cult, and even the restatement of the religion of Jesus must develop a new and appropriate symbolism. Modern man must find some adequate symbolism for his new and expanding ideas, ideals, and loyalties. This enhanced symbol must arise out of religious living, spiritual experience. And this higher symbolism of a higher civilization must be predicated on the concept of the Fatherhood of God and be pregnant with the mighty ideal of the brotherhood of man.

Bill Martin

#25 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi U-rantian,

I couldn't tape THE ONLINE RADIO SHOW, but
you and all can go to this LINK to hear it:
http://www.blogtalkr...m/cosmiccitizen

introducing "The URANTIA Book" featuring James Woodward,
with the next LIVE SHOW on SATURDAY, July 19, 2008
featuring Chris Halverson discussing the FORWARD.
They will be taking calls LIVE, so think up a good question!

Also, you can comment there (blog), after signing up.
You, Gary and Mario's discussion is VERY INTERESTING
about live URANTIA study using earphones/microphones.

By the way, I was saying we need a good screen writer who
can WRITE a fiction story with our origin history and destiny
closely adhering to the facts of the URANTIA revelation, to
make into a block-buster movie.

I don't think such a thing should mention the UB, but
my HOPE is that it would pass scrutiny by long-time
readers for accuracy in detail, therefore be "real" as possible,
expand people's frame-of-reference, expanse of imagination,
consideration of possibilities ...

Our world desperately needs true facts and real hearts
functioning - facilitating transition. Our whole world is
going through a stage mothers know as "transition"
while giving birth naturally. It is difficult but SO worth it!!

We are all like midwives, sort of, of a world fit for kids.

Ellen

[/indent]

Hey Guys,

I listened to the whole thing. They Had Andre (who always used to come to our Tue Night Study Group) and the Executive Director of the Fellowship and a fellow named Larry (Mullins?) who all three went on for 30 minutes talking about what the show could be. James Woodward didn't show.

The only point i left with was negative. They plan to try to get Harry McMullan on to talk about Part Four.

Bill Martin

#26 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Location:U.S. Pacific Northwest, Urantia, Nebadon, Orvonton,
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Gary, but I was thinking that U-rantian, or anyone else who wants to, can go to the new URANTIA online radio show and do it themself because it is archived there.

The new URANTIA based show is on tomorrow
http://www.blogtalkr...m/cosmiccitizen

I still don't know anything about Mp3 and barely know how to do attachments. I specialize in using Gmail and learning how to be here. My sons specialize in gaming world wide, using VOIP:Ventrilo which costs nothing to them, personally. Andon says its (edit in: sort of) like talking on a walkie-talkie, (edit in: but) more than one (edit in: person) can talk at a time, but you really don't want to. People's volume controls are different; "not like a phone" he says. ---Ellen

PS. I'm actually not sure if my inserting these LINKS here is OK. I think it is OK because they lead to a place that has already received the auspices of James Woodward who was executive of UAI. I don't know the people who originate this new show. If they sound *weird* I hope someone tells us! ~e
.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#27 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

Personally, I think it is getting high time for the revelation to come out of the closet. I agree with you. An excellent way would be evolutionary. Having people come here and tune in for some excellent study and discussion by inquisitive, dedicated and knowledgable students of the revelatiion. U-rantians flashy "whiz-bang" approach will be good to arrest the attention, but the people who willl stick with it are the ones who will take the time to apply themselves and study. Dissemination of the TRUTHS of the Gospel belong in thousand mile-high letters across the sky. Many disagree with me and I'd love to hear their thoughts on this matter. The arguments against have some merit as well.

Love Ya,
Joe

#28 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hi Bill,

I know a URANTIA based movie idea is not originally mine, unless you want to count how many times I wished that movies were "grounded" in the "facts and heart" of the URANTIA revelation.

Now that so many people think of it.. it will happen, eventually. You are right that learning to live the CONTENT of the URANTIA revelation should be our priority, so that IF we get the chance to "vet" a Screen Play we will be prepared.

We ought to be GOOD STUDENTS!! Walk our URANTIA talk!

It-so-happens, that if I'd only "happened upon" the new URANTIA based radio show, I wouldn't have listened to it because the opening music turned me OFF! To me it was a pathetically syrupy sentimental dirge to my ears and feelings, although very common to "churchy" people. The co-host lady was also a little syrupy in tone, but pepped it up along the way.
Thanks be to God.
Ellen
.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#29 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Bill and all

I'm not trying to be push my self onto anyone nor do I have some agenda other than helping with our cause but I would suggest you talk with me about whether you choose to go with the Shype or with the Ventrilo that I already have set up. There are many technical reason that might make Vertrilo a better choice besides I have already got the server setup and it's ready to go. Why would you go to Skype? If could actually talk with you I'm sure you would see my pointof view. I have 20 experience with software and computer systems any my services are free.

Ellen
I wasn't suggesting anything different than what you said. I was just letting you know that there is no reason to tape it it is available anytime as a MP3 file and that anyone could go to the website download the MP3 file and listen to it.

#30 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Gary wrote:
I'm not trying to be push my self onto anyone nor do I have some agenda other than helping with our cause but I would suggest you talk with me about whether you choose to go with the Skype or with the Ventrilo that I already have set up. There are many technical reason that might make Vertrilo a better choice besides I have already got the server setup and it's ready to go. Why would you go to Skype? If could actually talk with you I'm sure you would see my pointof view. I have 20 experience with software and computer systems any my services are free.

Gary, I'm a newbie in VOIP. What is the advantage of Ventrilo over Skype? I sort of 'sense' an advantage of Ventrilo, besides your having it set up already ready to go. Can you be a little more specific re:technical reasons?
Mario

#31 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

I am interested in doing my part to spread the message in my area. I am a lonely reader and need a group to help me learn and associate with. Any Ideas? The closest group to me is about 30 miles. In todays world of gas prices....thats a fortune!
I so desperately need like minded people to be with. I get so depressed being the only reader in my area.

Friend of Bill W..
Where are you located? You can send me a PM if you like.
Mario

#32 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

Mario you have a PM

#33 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Gary and I were talking via Ventrilo about the differences between Skype and Ventrilo. I kind of like Ventrilo. It has more flexibility. But I'll let Gary explain this whole concept when he finds the time to do it. I hope that a few more of you download the software (it's free) and give it a try.
Mario

#34 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hi guys..

I just now asked my son, Noah, if he has a preference between Skype or Ventrilo.

He says, "Skype is fun because you can use video-chat (and things like that),
but
Ventrilo takes up less 'band-width' (is less taxing on your computer)." He added, " 'band-width' is only a problem for some people, like you, Mom, because you have an old computer)

OK! So.. it looks to me that Ventrilo is more inclusive, comparable to an "elementry school)
while
Skype would be like a step up to a "higher caliber" of function, (not to be confused with caliber-of-study), and appealing to younger people when they eventually discover the fascinating replete detail of how the URANTIA revelation answers many questions they'll have about the current "status quo" of evolutional "common knowledge".

This place (the UAI Forum) can be like a tree-trunk leading to various branches, including eventually both Skype type and Ventrilo type functionability.

Ellen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users