#1 Friend of Bill W.

Friend of Bill W.

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Theology, Spirituality, Music, Runes

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:48 AM

I am interested in doing my part to spread the message in my area. I am a lonely reader and need a group to help me learn and associate with. Any Ideas? The closest group to me is about 30 miles. In todays world of gas prices....thats a fortune!
I so desperately need like minded people to be with. I get so depressed being the only reader in my area.

Admin Update: Take this link to the new: Study Group Directory

-------Your Brother in light and life.

#2 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:25 AM

My dear fellow A.A.'er,

I know how you feel , I-ve been there.

My thought was that we could have live internet study groups, somehow. There has to be a way. I know people are using webcams with sound to do all sorts of things. Couldn't they be used for spiritual purposes? I would love to have a study group online because then some personality could come through and dry discussions of facts could be refreshed with the water of life and maybe the Spirit of Truth could take a larger part.

bill
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#3 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

Bill

I am a new member on the forum and plan on applying for the online class that starts 9/08. I found the UB about 30 years ago and have tried to keep it's teachings an active part of my life ever since. Until now my contributions to the cause has been word of mouth dissemination and the occasional monetary contribution. I would like to be more involved in spreading the teachings that have given me the blind faith to know that no matter what difficulties I face all is well as long as I keep God in my heart.

I agree that internet study groups could be a very effective way to bring students together. I would like to volunteer to help in this effort if you're interested in pursuing this further.

I would suggest using voice over the internet (VOIP) instead of webcams for the following reasons:
- It is less expensive. You only need a computer that has earphones and a microphone attached plus free software for the student's PC.
- Less bandwidth is required for voice communications as opposed to video.
- Some folks may not feel comfortable with a camera invading there space.

Requirements for what I am suggesting are server software (free) that is hosted on the internet which controls the slots for VOIP students to log onto and client software (free) that would be installed on the students PC. There is some cost to have the sever software hosted but it is minimal. I would be willing to cover the cost for a small group of users. There are several ways to expand this to serve several groups if desired.

Below is a sample of the rates to host the server software.
Slots 1 Month 3 Months 6 Months 12 Months
5 $3.00 $8.55 $15.30 $22.68
10 $4.30 $12.26 $21.93 $32.51
25 $10.00 $28.50 $51.00 $75.60
50 $18.50 $52.73 $94.35 $139.86
100 $32.00 $91.20 $163.20 $241.92

We can continue from here on this forum, by phone or email. Let me know how and if you would like to proceed.

Thanks
Gary

PS Before my current position, I spent 18 yrs in IT as a programmer, an analyst and an IT manager and may be able to help in some other projects.

#4 Guest_U-rantian_*

Guest_U-rantian_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hello Gary

That is a very good idea. What about virtual reality, I think you could do all this in Second Life enviroment, besides it could help us to use that enviroment for other applications. Are you familiar with Second Life, you can youtube it. I think that study groups could formed in second life some religions are already using this.

Thanks
U-rantian
P.D.
check this video
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=1-BGQKaKi18

#5 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

U-rantian

It is a very cool idea. That is what's used in the online gaming community along with VOIP to present the virtual world they have created and free the players from having to type messages to communicate with one another. I'll try to list a few pros and cons associated with this idea and pose a couple of questions.

Pros:

Interesting and attractive way present a virtual world/ideas.
Attracts users to participate with others.

Cons: (Educated guesses here. I have not verified what I am about to say.)

The programming software used to create the virtual environment is not free and most likely not cheap.
Creating the virtual world would be very time consuming.
Programmer would need the expertise with software to job done.
Most likely hosting the virtual world would be more costly than a simple VOIP site.

Questions and comments:
Is there a real need or application for this virtual environment that would benefit from this technology other than its cool and the entertainment value? If yes would the need justify the cost and where would the money come from?
In the youtube video they said the church invested several thousands of dollars to complete the project.
If there is a real interest in this and the questions of time and cost were addressed I could do a little more research and be able to answer questions with a little more knowledge behind the answer.

Gary

#6 Guest_U-rantian_*

Guest_U-rantian_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hello Gary
My comment in this colour.

1.-Pros:
Interesting and attractive way present a virtual world/ideas.
Attracts users to participate with others.
Networking is the future of communications, Facebook is an example. Second life is already a designed virtual reality all you have to do is download and register and you can go inside and interact. Some programming can be done but that is for advanced applications urantia book readers may use the existing facilities virtual parks, beachs etc.

2.- Cons: (Educated guesses here. I have not verified what I am about to say.)
The programming software used to create the virtual environment is not free and most likely not cheap.
The software is already made but personalized/customized modifications, applications is allowed, some people actually make money selling virtual staff made by them, you would be amazed to see that people buy virtual clothes, furniture, etec.
Creating the virtual world would be very time consuming.
It is already made, all you have to do is download second life and register.
Programmer would need the expertise with software to job done.
Most likely hosting the virtual world would be more costly than a simple VOIP site.
Sure in some aspects, but second life(the virtual world) do have some interesting features you can use that for conferences, concerts etc. that is cheaper than actually going to the real places, I mean we are just to use the evolutionary tools that are out there.

3.-Questions and comments:
Is there a real need or application for this virtual environment that would benefit from this technology other than its cool and the entertainment value?
To teach. Some teaching in the future will be made through games.
If yes would the need justify the cost and where would the money come from?
I have no idea, but inside there are many who are making money (Lindon dollars is virtual money that can be exchanged with real one), who will give the money for this? No idea.
In the youtube video they said the church invested several thousands of dollars to complete the project.
Yes, they did. We don't have to build in the virtual world a church, although if I had the resourses I would construct a sort of Dalamatia city, First and Second Garden of Eden based on the Urantia Papers so that we can have as a showroom and to take virtual tours to people. That would count as dissemination.
If there is a real interest in this and the questions of time and cost were addressed I could do a little more research and be able to answer questions with a little more knowledge behind the answer.
I cannot say about that, this is just my personal interest, and I am sharing this with you because yours is related, but if the cost and time is high then just concentrate in the VOIP project when we have grown stronger(more readers, more interest, more contributions, etc.) perhaps we could come back to this subject so in the meantime let us keep studying the papers.....

Bye

U-rantian

#7 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

U-rantian

By your response I could clearly see we were not on the same page. I had looked at the youtube video and assumed you were referring to building a virtual reality environment from scratch. I have since googled Second Life and now have a better understanding of you original post. I agree there are some real possibilities with such a hosted service but a project of that scope is an option for the Trustees to contend with. Thank you for bringing Second Life to my attention. The google search revealed several links to sites like Second Life. Very interesting to say the least.

Gary

#8 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Location:U.S. Pacific Northwest, Urantia, Nebadon, Orvonton,
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hi Gary, nice to meet you, I'm Ellen.
Your discussion is interesting, and, for starters, it would be
good for us all to listen to today's newly begun Online RadioTalkShow
and next week maybe interact there, too! I heard it live, and it can still be listened to at

www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmiccitizen

..today's topic introducing "The URANTIA Book" featuring James Woodward, with next LIVE SHOW on SATURDAY, July 19, 2008
featuring Chris Halverson and the FORWARD.

Real live study groups are VERY IMPORTANT and when 2-3
people do them regularly, dependably, then others WILL COME!!

In the meantime, a really good novel/swashbuckler that
illustrates origin/history/destiny details from the UB would be entertaining to read, see and share with pals and family.. :rolleyes: (screenwriters, where are you?) Ellen

U-rantian

By your response I could clearly see we were not on the same page. I had looked at the youtube video and assumed you were referring to building a virtual reality environment from scratch. I have since googled Second Life and now have a better understanding of you original post. I agree there are some real possibilities with such a hosted service but a project at that scope is an option for the Trustees to contend with. Thank you for bringing Second Life to my attention. The google search revealed several links to sites link Second Life. Very interesting to say the least.

Gary

.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

#9 Guest_U-rantian_*

Guest_U-rantian_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hello Gary

Good that you got what I was really pointing out. There is another already established virtual world called Entropia but the comments are in general that they will empty your pocket, I have played secondlife but I haven't done that in Entropia...... so if you enter in second life then you will have a much better idea about the enviroment and the possibilities (potentials) about teaching and networking.

About your comment.

...but a project of that scope is an option for the Trustees to contend with. Thank you for bringing Second Life to my attention.

It is not the role of the Foundation (Trustees) to disseminate, dissemination falls directly in the hands of the UAI so any type of project regarding dissemination in the real and virtual world is UAI responsability, that is why we are here, this forum is an example, we converse/write/present/debate/argue about the teachings and applications of the Urantia Book → that is also part of dissemination as well advance in the study of the Papers. So the UAI is in charge of actualizing those potentials, so you did well in presenting your project here in this forum UAI forum, where all the UAI members can give you support (if not financially for the moment) at least moral. Even then the Foundation is closely associated with the UAI so you have two for the price of one :(

Please, share with us every advance that you are making in your project, that experience is gold for us we all need to teach/show us one another the bit that we are doing, also remember that this interaction do start personality relationships and those relationships makes us stronger, unites us more, hence do more for our civilization. :rolleyes:

P.1222 - 4 When man wishes to modify physical reality, be it himself or his environment, he succeeds to the extent that he has discovered the ways and means of controlling matter and directing energy. Unaided mind is impotent to influence anything material save its own physical mechanism, with which it is inescapably linked. But through the intelligent use of the body mechanism, mind can create other mechanisms, even energy relationships and living relationships, by the utilization of which this mind can increasingly control and even dominate its physical level in the universe.

Again
P.1222 - 4 When man wishes to modify physical reality, be it himself or his environment, he succeeds to the extent that he has discovered the ways and means of controlling matter and directing energy.
Personality reality is above physical reality, even mind and spiritual, that is why persons can change things, can affect reality. We, the human race, have recently started to conquer physical reality in all its diversity, you see we design every year more and more sophisticated devices e.g. mobile phones. thanks to science and since science allows us to control matter then we use that for our comfort and better living, better cars, faster planes, etc. True, materialism is hitting us very hard, but we(Urantia Book readers) are here to fix that.

Unaided mind is impotent to influence anything material save its own physical mechanism, with which it is inescapably linked. One person cannot do much, but many persons, many minds working together do achieve more, you for example just because you are giving your attention to us you are helping our minds to think how to reply to your questions, that is help for me since if you were not here with that line of thought I wouldn't have been able to react-think in the same line of thought, about VOIP and virtual reality, my point is that two brains think better than one, we help each other. Please note that the change in matter usually starts in our minds, if the idea to change matter is not present then we cannot make that happen.

But through the intelligent use of the body mechanism, mind can create other mechanisms, even energy relationships and living relationships(personality realities), by the utilization of which this mind can increasingly control and even dominate its physical level in the universe.
All here want progress (grow our soul) in one way or another, but only together we will discover those energy, living relationships that will allows us to dominate that reality, for example the UAI don't have financial resources which is necessary to make something happen in physical reality but in this forum we are trying to discover those energy, living relationships so that with our minds (together) we can break out of scarcity and polarize to abbundance not only with financial resources but with mind resources (just like your mind Gary), and spirit I think now we can count with your Adjsuter as well...... so stay with us and let us see what our minds(and spirits) working together can achieve.

U-rantian

#10 Guest_U-rantian_*

Guest_U-rantian_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Hi Ellen

Glad to hear that.

good for us all to listen to today's newly begun Online RadioTalkShow
and next week maybe interact there, too!

Could you, if it is possible that, make sure that someone record that talk with the best quality, when the UAI opens their channel in youtube we are going to put there each and every bit (we can make some video out of it, we will think of something) that everyone is doing we are to share that with the world and youtube is our next target, there are not many Urantia book readers in youtube, well that has to change. So if possible record that and share it here and also keep it for the future UAI channel in youtube.

:rolleyes:
U-rantian

#11 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hi Ellen
It's great to meet you. I did check out the blog radio but have not had a chance to listen yet but I will for sure. Thank you! I could not find any links to a novel that related to the swashbuckler as you mentioned. Do you have an author or isbn for the book?

U-rantian
I have decided to dive in and see what happens. I can see that I have a lot to learn as far as how things work on the more organized side of things. I will apply for UAI membership shortly.

I went ahead and set up a VOIP server that is good for the next 12 months. It will allow for up to 5 users log on and talk to one another.

Anyone interested in trying this out? If so download the client software for your operating system from this link http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php and install it.
Then post back here and I'll give you the info to config it to the server and we can set up a time to try it out.

Gary

#12 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum! This sounds interesting-- what you're trying to set up. I went to the link you provided and downloaded the Windows 32-bit client program.
I don't know if this will work for me-- I do not speak English as well as I write it and like most people am more visually oriented. I'd like to try this anyway.
What happens next?

Mario

#13 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi Mario

I've added screen captures of the main client window , the sever setup and the client setup. From the main screen click in the arrow to the right of the user name then new to put in the name you want other users to see. After that click the right arrow on the server line to put in the info for the server connection. Lastly from the main client screen click on the setup button and make it look like the attached image. The only thing you may want to do differently is the hot key setup on the middle left of the screen. That is the mouse button or keyboard key you push to have the mic transmit your voice to the server for the others to hear. To change that setting place the cursor in the box and push a mouse button or keyboard key to bind it to the transmit function.

The only thing you are missing is the password to enter on the server setup screen. I would rather give that out one on one. There is also a chat function that can be used for typing messages to one another instead of using voice. I would assume this is for users that may be having trouble with an mic or whatever but if language is a problem it is an alternative.

I don't know where you are located and if time zones are a problem so we will have to work on getting on at the same time. It wouldn't do much good for either one of us to log on to the server and oneone else be there. One sided conversations are usually pretty dull.

This is the first time I've used this software and I'm still learning the features so I may make some mistakes but we'll get through them. I did test this out with my son this evening and work fine for us.

I don't know if the messaging or email future are activated on this forum. If yes then we can work out a time for a test that way. If not we will do something else. It's best not to put your email address on form that is open to the world.

Attached Files

#14 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

Mario and I just finished with a test run and it seems to work fine. Now all we need is more folks to join in and set up a schedule. Looking forward to hearing from more UB readers. Just contact me my a forum message.
Gary

#15 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Well it works!
It was good talking with you, Gary.
For those without a headphone with microphone they can always use the chat feature of the software. As I understand it, you can have more than 5 people signed up but the maximum number of participants at any one time is 5 people, is that correct?

This is like having a teleconference, with the additional chat and comment features. I like the immediate feedback as compared to posting back and forth.
I'll definitely check out the Ventrillo if you happen to be in the forum to see if you're on it and perhaps we can slowly get into and share our thoughts about the book.

Mario

#16 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

It was great to be able to talk with you Mario. By the way your English is excellent you have no need to worry about that. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

I hope we can expand our small circle of 2. And yes it is much easier than typing and the instant response is great. It is true the group list can be any size and the 5 concurrent limitation can be expanded should we be so lucky to have such a demand. This technology can support individual channels of access so multiple groups could be online at the same time and not interfere with one another's conversations (e.g., study group one, study group 2, special access group, general chat group). Something like this could also be used to replace any teleconferencing needs as an easy and inexpensive alternative.

Gary

#17 Guest_U-rantian_*

Guest_U-rantian_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hey Gary ;)

I can see that I have a lot to learn as far as how things work on the more organized side of things. I will apply for UAI membership shortly.

And we are looking forward to have you on board.
Well done! Gary and Mario great that achievement, I will see if I can join you it all will depend of my timetable....
Way to go guys, I am sure that if we put here in detail how to do it, others will see and will do for themselves so well done again guys
:D
u-rantian

#18 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

It was great to be able to talk with you Mario. By the way your English is excellent you have no need to worry about that. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

I hope we can expand our small circle of 2. And yes it is much easier than typing and the instant response is great. It is true the group list can be any size and the 5 concurrent limitation can be expanded should we be so lucky to have such a demand. This technology can support individual channels of access so multiple groups could be online at the same time and not interfere with one another's conversations (e.g., study group one, study group 2, special access group, general chat group). Something like this could also be used to replace any teleconferencing needs as an easy and inexpensive alternative.

Gary

I wonder if we should change the title of this topic? Something like:
Teleconference study group
Voice Internet study group

Something catchier than the above. Gary, I'm thinking of mentioning this on the UAI discussion list to drum up some interest. Do you have any suggestions on how to describe this whole set up? That ordinary folks like myself can easily understand? I'm visualizing down the road, say a year or so, 2, 3 or more study groups going on at the same time, or different times, depending on people's time zones. Set up a schedule like at a certain date and time we will be studying for study group 1: paper such and such, or study group 2: the theme may be "doing God's will" and so forth. How about study group 3: for Spanish or French readers. 5 is probably a good number for each group. This idea of yours has great potential. People from all over the world can get together at a predetermined time and study and learn from one another. Or just simply socialize, just be with, talk with another reader or 2 or 5. Yes!

I've heard of a group of young people already doing something like this, have been at it for sometime. I should have followed up on that for more information... But here we are. We can only begin from where we happen to be.

For those of you who are interested download the Ventrilo software at http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

And the link to the tutorial: http://www.ventrilo.com/tutorial.php

Talk to you soon!

Mario

#19 Mario

Mario

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

Someone had mentioned to me Skype, which has a teleconference feature, which I have yet to try. You can have up to 24 people at one time. I've used Skype in the past but only for a few times. You can download it for free at http://www.skype.com/

If the person you're calling also has a Skype account, then it is all free... whether they live in Australia, Europe, South America-- anywhere on the planet. You have to have a headset with a microphone. So with the teleconference feature you can have a study group similar to what Gary is proposing. The one bottleneck I see with Gary's suggestion is he has to give the password to each participant. With Skype you just need to set your account right. With either Skype or Ventrilo you still need to set up a convenient time with whoever you want to connect with, just like using a telephone.

Mario

#20 EllenRG

EllenRG

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Location:U.S. Pacific Northwest, Urantia, Nebadon, Orvonton,
  • Interests:BE Fatherly loving to each and all ! Getting our FACTS straight; Planetary wide integrity; straight talking-listening; compassion; altruism; creative solution imagination; adherence to spirit of law of life; identifying/eliminating laws made by selfish interests; identifying evil masquerading as good; avoiding perpetuation of error; supporting enlightened pursuits: momentarily in perpetuity AMEN

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

Hi U-rantian,

I couldn't tape THE ONLINE RADIO SHOW, but
you and all can go to this LINK to hear it:
http://www.blogtalkr...m/cosmiccitizen

introducing "The URANTIA Book" featuring James Woodward,
with the next LIVE SHOW on SATURDAY, July 19, 2008
featuring Chris Halverson discussing the FORWARD.
They will be taking calls LIVE, so think up a good question!

Also, you can comment there (blog), after signing up.
You, Gary and Mario's discussion is VERY INTERESTING
about live URANTIA study using earphones/microphones.

By the way, I was saying we need a good screen writer who
can WRITE a fiction story with our origin history and destiny
closely adhering to the facts of the URANTIA revelation, to
make into a block-buster movie.

I don't think such a thing should mention the UB, but
my HOPE is that it would pass scrutiny by long-time
readers for accuracy in detail, therefore be "real" as possible,
expand people's frame-of-reference, expanse of imagination,
consideration of possibilities ...

Our world desperately needs true facts and real hearts
functioning - facilitating transition. Our whole world is
going through a stage mothers know as "transition"
while giving birth naturally. It is difficult but SO worth it!!

We are all like midwives, sort of, of a world fit for kids.

Ellen

Hi Ellen

Glad to hear that.

Could you, if it is possible that, make sure that someone record that talk with the best quality, when the UAI opens their channel in youtube we are going to put there each and every bit (we can make some video out of it, we will think of something) that everyone is doing we are to share that with the world and youtube is our next target, there are not many Urantia book readers in youtube, well that has to change. So if possible record that and share it here and also keep it for the future UAI channel in youtube.

:D
U-rantian

.."..clear thinking, wise reasoning, logical judgment, sincere motivation, unselfish purpose, intelligent loyalty, experiential memory, disciplined character, and the unquestioning dedication of his personality to the doing of the will of the Father in Paradise." ..."..loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.." URANTIA.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users