#1 PHIL

PHIL

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:<br />Music,Sports,Movies

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

"Urantia has passed through the ravages of great and destructive wars in its history. All participants in these terrible struggles met with defeat."

The definition of Insanity in AA/NA circles is;

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

"The secret of a better civilization is bound up in the Master's teachings of the brotherhood of man, the good will of love and mutual trust."

"Let no man do to another what would be repugnant to himself; cherish no malice, smite not him who smites you, conquer anger with mercy, and vanquish hate by benevolence. And all this we should do because God is a kind friend and a gracious father who remits all our earthly offenses."

"Self is man's invincible foe, and self is manifested as man's four greatest passions: anger, pride, deceit, and greed. Man's greatest victory is the conquest of himself."

P.911 - 2 13. Effective and wise leadership[This seems to be going in the wrong direction]

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Dear Phil,

I find your question thought provoking. Is your question about the leadership of all the nations around the world or just the USA?

The Western world seems to be going in a far better direction. If we look at the globe, and the leaders across it, we find that the ten most violent and non-humane are not leaders of democratic nations. These poor (in terms of violators of God's laws) leaders seem to be the problem. It is these leaders who coerce their followers into helping them seize control of their nations and then use this leadership to comment crimes against the God-knowing and God-loving people. The democratic/republican form nations are under the rule of their people, according to their individual Constitutions of government.

Even though the evolution of government seems very slow to us today, it has evolved to become better than ever before in history. In the United States of America, for example, the citizens still hold the right to recall their leaders, vote for the candidates of their choice, and elect a legislature that will remove a criminal from the Presidency. The highest law of the land is not one despot with thugs, but The United States Constitution. The majority still rules in a republican form of government and... "While there is a divine and ideal form of government, such cannot be revealed but must be slowly and laboriously discovered by the men and women of each planet throughout the universes of time and space." (p.799 TUB)

So what is a divine and ideal form of government? How do we discover it? Perhaps the answer to the question of good leadership is somewhere in this quote. Do Urantia mortals just need more time? Are we in a hurry?

Can prayer influence the outcome for good leadership in the government we now have? How do disciples of Urantia influence this? Can we take positive action?

Your faith sister,

Carolyn

"Urantia has passed through the ravages of great and destructive wars in its history. All participants in these terrible struggles met with defeat."

"The secret of a better civilization is bound up in the Master's teachings of the brotherhood of man, the good will of love and mutual trust."

"Let no man do to another what would be repugnant to himself; cherish no malice, smite not him who smites you, conquer anger with mercy, and vanquish hate by benevolence. And all this we should do because God is a kind friend and a gracious father who remits all our earthly offenses."

"Self is man's invincible foe, and self is manifested as man's four greatest passions: anger, pride, deceit, and greed. Man's greatest victory is the conquest of himself."

P.911 - 2 13. Effective and wise leadership[This seems to be going in the wrong direction]

"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#3 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Dear Everybody,

One positive bulwark against tyranny in The United States is the military leaders swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, not a party or a person and stay in their offices, more or less, as politics change. Fredom of religion, the press, assembly, speech all depend upon ideas that are revered and protected by the mutual agreement of the people. I beleieve this had something to do with the Papers appearing in Chicago, as opposedto somewhere else.

Respectfully,

Bill Martin.

P.S. Please don't expect a reply directly as I am delivering a 50 foot sailboat from the Everglades to Chicago.
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#4 Guest_rich_*

Guest_rich_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

it is what it is, it's easy to put down the world, but if i'm breathing i may as well try to be optimistic.

#5 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Dear Phill, all,

While reading about something else in the Urantia Book, I came across an interesting reference to civilizations:

P.196 - 1 Civilizations are unstable because they are not cosmic; they are not innate in the individuals of the races. They must be nurtured by the combined contributions of the constitutive factors of man--science, morality, and religion. Civilizations come and go, but science, morality, and religion always survive the crash.

Civilizations are not cosmic. They are not innate in the individuals of the races of people. Civilization is an aquirement, or the result of, the three factors mentioned - science, morality and religion. It seems to me that civilizations that go forward, progress, do so in direct proportion to the progress man makes in his science, in his morality and in his religion, as they are combined and nurtured by individuals. Civilization indicates a group aquirement. The progress of the group depends on the progress of the individual, so it seems to me. As the part so the whole.

The events occurring on our world on any given day may be disturbing to us. They are disturbing in many areas. We see it on the daily news every day. It is interesting to me to realize that no matter what happens, whatever "crashes" might occur, science, morality and religion will always survive.

Why will science, morality and religion always survive? Because they are cosmic gifts (P.196 - 0). Socialization of these gifts is a must and together they constitute the quality of civilizations from era to era.

All the best,
Meredith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users