Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Dear Jorge,

Please find a thread for us.

jcl
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

Dear Jorge and Rick,

p. 943

?Let man enjoy himself; let the human race find pleasure in a thousand and one ways; let evolutionary mankind explore all forms of legitimate self-gratification, the fruits of the long upward biologic struggle. Man has well earned some of his present-day joys and pleasures. But look you well to the goal of destiny! Pleasures are indeed suicidal if they succeed in destroying property, which has become the institution of self-maintenance; and self-gratifications have indeed cost a fatal price if they bring about the collapse of marriage, the decadence of family life, and the destruction of the home-man?s supreme evolutionary acquirement and civilization?s only hope of survival.?

Hmmmmmm? do we go back to original Topic?

Love,

Carolyn
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#3 williamstade

williamstade

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests: Guitar practice, writing practice, and metaphysics (The nature of reality. Laughh.)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

p. 943

"Let man enjoy himself; let the human race find pleasure in a thousand and one ways; let evolutionary mankind explore all forms of legitimate self-gratification, the fruits of the long upward biologic struggle. Man has well earned some of his present-day joys and pleasures. But look you well to the goal of destiny! Pleasures are indeed suicidal if they succeed in destroying property, which has become the institution of self-maintenance; and self-gratifications have indeed cost a fatal price if they bring about the collapse of marriage, the decadence of family life, and the destruction of the home-man's supreme evolutionary acquirement and civilization's only hope of survival."

Hmmmmmm? do we go back to original Topic?

Love,

Carolyn

Hi! Just got here. Laugh. I can't help but think that the real nature of religion is... Open to discovery and interpretation by the individual interested in such a thing with a wealth of world scripture, techniques, and books attempting to guide the individual.

It can be such a hot-button topic. Geesh...

I'm going to go do a couple of guitar exercises to hone up on that hobby of mine! :D

William

"Straightforward naturalness, genuineness, simplicity and spontaneity are important virtues" (Lama Surya Das, 2007).

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

Dear William,

Music is a way to find goodness, beauty, and truth. Do you think the type of music matters to God?

jcl

#5 williamstade

williamstade

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests: Guitar practice, writing practice, and metaphysics (The nature of reality. Laughh.)

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:10 AM

Dear William,

Music is a way to find goodness, beauty, and truth. Do you think the type of music matters to God?

jcl

Agreed. Laugh. I tend to lean towards those goals/ideals; goodness, beauty, and truth.

Does the type matter to God? Having never met am going to say that I'm entirely unsure. I've heard some very pretty stuff come from some fairly strange places though. Laugh.

William

William

"Straightforward naturalness, genuineness, simplicity and spontaneity are important virtues" (Lama Surya Das, 2007).

#6 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:58 AM

Dear William,

Recently a dear friend left this mortal world. Cancer. On a visit just before, she told us that she was singing with angels and asked if we could hear them. Of course we could not. Then she began to sing...and then smiling looked at us again and said, "Now...(pause)...did you hear us together as we sang?"

Some music that we do hear makes us feel like she did.

Perhaps that is important?

But this dialogue belongs on other topic of Art, Music, ... Let's take this thread there.

Love to all,

Carolyn

#7 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

Dear all,

As relates to nature of religion

p. 2096, The Faith of Jesus, pars. 4, 5, 6

ďMorality is not necessarily spiritual; it may be wholly and purely human, albeit real religion enhances all moral values, makes them more meaningful. Morality without religion fails to reveal ultimate goodness and it also fails to provide for the survival of even its own moral values. Religion provides for the enhancement, glorification, and assured survival of everything morality recognizes and approves.
Religion stands above science, art, philosophy, ethics, and morals, but not independent of them. They are all indissolubly interrelated in human experience, personal and social. Religion is manís supreme experience in the moral nature, but finite language makes it forever impossible for theology ever adequately to depict real religious experience.
Religious insight possesses the power of turning defeat into higher desires and new determinations. Love is the highest motivation which man may utilize in his universe ascent. But love, divested of truth, beauty, and goodness, is only a sentiment, a philosophic distortion, a psychic illusion, a spiritual deception. Love must always be redefined on successive levels of morontia and spirit progression.Ē

Carolyn

#8 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

p43:3 2:7.10 The religious challenge of this age is to those farseeing and forward-looking men and women of spiritual insight who will dare to construct a new and appealing philosophy of living out of the enlarged and exquisitely integrated modern concepts of cosmic truth, universe beauty, and divine goodness. Such a new and righteous vision of morality will attract all that is good in the mind of man and challenge that which is best in the human soul. Truth, beauty, and goodness are divine realities, and as man ascends the scale of spiritual living, these supreme qualities of the Eternal become increasingly co-ordinated and unified in God, who is love.

Edited by Bonita, 17 June 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#9 Guest_rich_*

Guest_rich_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

i'm so glad i learned about the thought adjuster and believe in that being as it is described by tub. i think about my ta a lot. i remember having one helped cain a lot back in the day, so if he can survive so can we all. cain was successful apparently for his whole life, apparently he even had a natural death.

76:2.8 But he now went to Eve, his mother, and asked for spiritual help and guidance, and when he honestly sought divine assistance, an Adjuster indwelt him. And this Adjuster, dwelling within and looking out, gave Cain a distinct advantage of superiority which classed him with the greatly feared tribe of Adam.

76:2.9 And so Cain departed for the land of Nod, east of the second Eden. He became a great leader among one group of his father's people and did, to a certain degree, fulfill the predictions of Serapatatia, for he did promote peace between this division of the Nodites and the Adamites throughout his lifetime. Cain married Remona, his distant cousin, and their first son, Enoch, became the head of the Elamite Nodites. And for hundreds of years the Elamites and the Adamites continued to be at peace.

THE REAL NATURE OF RELIGION

RELIGION, AS A human experience, ranges from the primitive fear slavery of the evolving savage up to the sublime and magnificent faith liberty of those civilized mortals who are superbly conscious of sonship with the eternal God.

101:0.2 Religion is the ancestor of the advanced ethics and morals of progressive social evolution. But religion, as such, is not merely a moral movement, albeit the outward and social manifestations of religion are mightily influenced by the ethical and moral momentum of human society. Always is religion the inspiration of man's evolving nature, but it is not the secret of that evolution.

101:0.3 Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that "true light which lights every man who comes into the world." And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.

#10 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

I believe, in conceptualizing this for myself, that Religion is scaffolding!

The point of religion isnít supposed to be empty forms and meaningless ritual; itís about those eternal truths, principles, and ordinances absolutely necessary to support the construction of an eternal citizen of Heaven Ė an immortal being.

Scaffolding is a marvelous invention. It helps to allow and support the construction of more permanent, more significant buildings. The scaffolding is temporary, itís only necessary during construction of some other significant structure. Once the structure is complete - or even before, in some cases, the scaffolding is no longer necessary; it is removed & forgotten. Nowhere in this world do you see cities of scaffolding. Always, when there is scaffolding, there is something better under construction! The point of civil engineering isnít scaffolding Ė itís about the more permanent and long-lasting buildings and structures the scaffolding merely facilitates.

A true religion will give an individual a place to express joy and thanks to a loving, generous Heavenly Father for their having become his literal children. A true religion will offer an individual a place wherein to become prepared for an unending eternity of ever-more-responsible work and ever-more-glorious achievement. A true religion will offer an individual a place wherein to dream big, and achieve even bigger, in the highest spiritual sense.

A true religion will offer these things to ALL individuals, without regard for language, economic condition, race, sex, ethnic heritage, or location. A true religion will encourage a sense of selflessness in service to oneís fellow man Ė not out of fear of punishment, but out of a growing feeling of familial love and compassion. A true religion will not be exclusive of anyone; but will be desirous of including everyone, in love, and not out of force or compulsion.

AND Ė a true religion would never seek to destroy any unbeliever; but would forever seek to love and serve and eventually welcome any who willingly seeks membership.

We may or may not have such a "True Religion" available to us today, except as it resides inside the heart of spiritualizing individuals, hearkening to the call of his or her Mystery Monitor, but we can certainly move toward such a grand existence as Faith Sons and Faith Daughters. My view of the world takes into account our (Urantians) relative immaturity and our isolation. Full, open fellowship with our System & Constallation families will be re-opened in the future - indeed, to our relatively short-lived condition, it won't be for many generations to come. BUT, one day, the marvelous future for all healthy, normal-minded Urantians will be proclaimed from every steeple, and sounded within every soul. One day. . .

"JR" Sherrod
Las Vegas, Nevada

Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#11 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

I believe, in conceptualizing this for myself, that Religion is scaffolding!

Thanks JR! I feel the throbbing faith, sincerity and love in your post. Scaffolding is a great metaphor. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

All the best,
Meredith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users