#1 Cordelia

Cordelia

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi everyone

I?m new to this board and TUB (stumbled upon it just 2 weeks ago).

It?ll be great if some of you could share your experience with Jesus of Nazareth prior to and after TUB.

My initial reading of TUB brought me great anxiety. I?ve embraced the bible wholeheartedly my whole life. Some of the revelations are just too shocking, but read this prayer by Apostle Paul in Ephesians 1: 17:

?I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know Him better.

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe.

The power is like the working of His mighty strength, which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power, dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.?

Now I ask myself if I can handle the truth because unknowingly I?ve been seeking it.

My commitment to follow Jesus came at a young age. It was a genuine experience but with little guidance I soon became lukewarm. Throughout those years when I cared very little about His presence, He was steadfast and faithful. His love is so glorious yet I responded unceremoniously with a simple prayer, ?Heavenly Father, help me to know your son Jesus, better?.

Shortly after, I surprised myself by beginning to contemplate on the passion of Christ which led me to the Shroud of Turin.

It is such a privilege to know the Son of God and to be called a child of God.

That joy led me to simple curiosity, ?Jesus, did you have a pet?? ?Did any girl have a crush on you?? ?Were you good at carpentry?? etc

I was told to be content with what?s in the Bible and give up this mindless fascination.

Many months passed before I ?accidentally? found a book by Jim Bishop, ?The day Christ died?. Bishop also wrote, ?The day Christ was born?.

Thinking that was all there?s to it, I really could not believe my eyes when I first saw the many papers on the life of Jesus in TUB. I can?t help but chuckle every time I say Michael of Nebadon because I think I actually know Him as a friend! Also, I think I?m a little jealous that we?ve to share this wonderful Creator Son with so many other inhabited worlds. :)

He may not have died as ransom for our sins (I still need more time to accept this). If He didn?t die so that we can be forgiven then I know that He died so that we know that we?re forgiven.

I pray that all who search for the truth will find Jesus of Nazareth and follow Him. He is the truth and the image of the invisible Universal Father.

He is worthy to be praised forever and ever.

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

Cordelia,

Your search for the truth is a lovely testimonial to us all.

Each of us have our own.

As you continue to read you will find as I have, that reading from beginning to end begins to put it all in perspective. I began my reading Part IV as well for many years. Skipping about to topics in the rest of TUB.
I did this for 14 years while my husband was reading beginning to end seven times. I was obviously behind him and still am, as I read the second time. Starting at the Introduction.

I want to tell you that I also must be reading Part IV at the same time, so I can feel grounded. Then I do a daily flip which often is in same part. So am I using Christian techniques? Yes. Truth is truth.

Knowing all of the story of Jesus is so beautiful, good, and true.

Welcome and love to you and all,

Carolyn
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#3 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

Looks like your 'mindless fascination' paid off handsomely Cordelia,

Heart warming to read your's and Carolyn's posts.

To your inquiry: Jesus' Spirit touched mine one night while meditating somewhat aimlessly, a few years later I stumbled onto the Book.

I was raised in a Methodist way, but didn't find the spirit there, looked everywhere else until finally encountering this marvelous, voluminous revelation over 20 years ago at age 40. Haven't stopped studying it, and have whole new vistas of study now.

Yes, agreed! Some facts in the UB take a while to accept, others take years to digest, and I'm beginning to understand---prefect implimentation will take most of an eternity. :)

Enjoy, Rick

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

Dear Cordelia and Rick,

Thank you, Rick, for sharing how you found UB.

I read this quote this am and thought of your topic you introduced, Cordelia:

p.2085 par 5

"But Christianity of even the twentieth century must not be despised. It is the product of the combined moral genius of the God-knowing men of many races during ages, and it has truly been one of the greatest powers for good on earth, and therefore no man should lightly regard it, notwithstanding its inherent and acquired defects. Christianity still contrives to move the minds of reflective men with mighty moral emotions."

Love to all,

Carolyn
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#5 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Cordelia,

If you ask as a sincere child of God that he lead you into the light of living truth, it will be done. If you have a little faith and are open to Spirit of Truth which Jesus poured over the whole world at Pentecost, if your "eye be single" and fixed upon the unseen Father, then your whole body will be filled with light. Let not your heart be troubled or your mind overawed bt the simplicity and the granduer of the Fifth Epochal Revelation. Give it the time and effort it takes to make a cover to cover reading. If you have to, suspend your disbelief and read it as fiction. You will find, as the Master said, " the Truth never suffers from an honest examination."

P.2090 - ?4 To "follow Jesus" means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master's life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

The teachings will truly transform you and set you upon a heavenly path in this life. If you so choose.

Shining beams of love and life
illuminate your path
and lead you
ever inward
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#6 Cordelia

Cordelia

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thanks Carolyn, Rick and Bill for your encouraging words! There's so much more reading for me to do....

I think it?ll be truly enlightening if we were to combine the study TUB with the biblical teachings of faithful Christians throughout the ages.

?But the Christianity of even the twentieth century must not be despised. It is the product of the combined moral genius of the God-knowing men of many races during many ages, and it has truly been one of the greatest powers for good on earth, and therefore no man should lightly regard it, notwithstanding its inherent and acquired defects. Christianity still contrives to move the minds of reflective men with mighty moral emotions.? P2282

Even if some of us don't want to be called Christians, we're still followers or believers of Jesus of Nazareth.

It is forever and gloriously true: ?We have a high ruler who can be touched with the feeling of our infirmities. We have a Sovereign who was in all points tested and tempted like as we are, yet without sin.? And since he himself has suffered, being tested and tried, he is abundantly able to understand and minister to those who are confused and distressed. P1540

Indeed He came to set us free, especially from backwards man-made traditions. I'm beginning to see why He didn't (have to) die for the atonement of our sins! Once and for all, He wanted to put an end to those bloody sacrificial ceremonies.

May you all go from strength in strength and be greatly blessed! :)

#7 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

Dear Cordelia,

One should never "throw out the baby with the bath water." There are great truths in Christianity. Far more than not. If one has only read TUB and never studied for truth elsewhere, they might have no scaffolds on which to build. Our minds are pattern seeking devices as the study of learning has proven, and if this is true, (one has to listen to TST to obtain for themselves this possibility.) then we need a place of past truth on which to build the new truth.

The jump from Jesus dying "for your sins by the shedding of his blood" is simple. Go to p.2017 TUB and read:
"All this concept of atonement and sacrificial salvation is rooted and grounded in selfishness. Jesus taught that service to one's fellows is the highest concept of the brotherhood of spirit believers. Salvation should be taken for granted by those who believe in the fatherhood of God. the believer's chief concern should not be the selfish desire for personal salvation but rather the unselfish urge to love and, therefore, serve one's fellows even as Jesus loved and served mortal men." continue on reading until you come to this: "It is true, after all, that you are to be 'forgiven your debts, even as you forgive your debtors.'"

So as you continue to read on to the next page...it becomes clear that yes Jesus is Our Savior. Yes, His Father is our Father. and no father who loves unconditionally as the Father does would do something so gruesome to his child as to send him to die as Jesus died, nor would he not have a more merciful plan of judgement than a hell of fire and brimestone for the sinners.
Jesus shed blood because we mortals do when we die. That is all he did. He died the mortal death as he chose to follow the will of his Father. "There is nothing in the cross which the Father required __only that which Jesus so willingly gave, and which he refused to avoid."

How much more loving is that knowledge. How much more hope it gives those who study the religion of Jesus rather than one about Jesus. Christians follow the Will of the Father. There is more truth in TUB. The revelation from God, will point the way to the parts of the Bible that are truth. No fear. The Spirit of Truth is here to lead us on "the way". And Jesus is still the Way to the Father.

I read Christian fiction. Not silly, as a believer in the religion of personal experience because I like the fact that they are moral. I sift out those things of which I know to be not true. And of course it is always the shedding of the blood for our sins, so we can be forgiven of them. Not a reach to skip by with a smile and feel the warmth from God.

"We know that the death on the cross was not to effect man's reconciliation to God but to stimulate man's 'realization' of the Father 's eternal love and his Son's unending mercy, and to broadcast these truths to a whole universe." p. 2019

Love,

Carolyn

#8 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

“Revelation as an epochal phenomenon is periodic; as a personal human experience it is continuous.” 1107:02

Edited by Bonita, 17 June 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#9 4evr

4evr

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests: Jesus,<br />wooden boats,water,traveling,bikeing,hikeing,ocean,mts,desert.<br />sharing with someone special

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hi/Welcome Cordelia,
I have felt much the same as you with regard to the sifting of truth through the bible.
It has been a giant step of faith to alow TUB to speek to me...but with each inkling of revelation, common sence prevails and the writings flower forth a beautiful fragerence of truth and wisdom.
Rick,Carolyn,Bill and Adelfo...Bravo!
Our best years are ahead of us!...4evr!

#10 williamstade

williamstade

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests: Guitar practice, writing practice, and metaphysics (The nature of reality. Laughh.)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi Cordelia, thank you for asking the question that you did concerning before and after perspectives on Hesus.

Looking back I'd say that the central monotheistic belief system basically stayed however my questions grew and I became more curious, inspired and even excited about the the newer descriptions of an ultimate faith-based God of the universe.

I am basically a new student to the book with some understanding of it. Thus far some of the descriptions of God are what I've found most attractive.

William

"Straightforward naturalness, genuineness, simplicity and spontaneity are important virtues" (Lama Surya Das, 2007).

#11 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Dear Cordelia,

Thinking of your Christian beginnings, the following is profound to your search for more.

p. 1511 The Baptism of Jesus par. 1
?It is therefore evident that Jesus in no sense received John?s baptism as a rite of repentance or for the remission of sins. In accepting baptism at the hands of John, Jesus was only following the example of many pious Israelites.?

middle of par. 3
?This ceremony was the final act of his purely human life on Urantia, and many superhuman observers expected to witness the fusion of the Adjuster with its indwelt mind, but they were all destined to suffer disappointment. Something new and even greater occurred. As John laid his hands upon Jesus to baptize him, the indwelling Adjuster took final leave of the perfected human soul of Joshua ben Joseph. And in a few moments this divine entity returned from Divinington as a Personalized Adjuster and chief of his kind throughout the entire local universe of Nebadon. Thus did Jesus oserve his own former divine spirit descending on its return to him in personalized form. And he heard this same spirit of Paradise origin now speak, saying, ?This is my beloved Son in whom I am ell pleased.? And John, with Jesus? two brothers, also heard these words. John?s disciples, standing by the water?s edge, did not hear these words, neither did they see the apparition of the Personalized Adjuster. Only the eyes of Jesus beheld the Personalized Adjuster.?

Middle par. 4
??Jesus, looking up to the near-by Adjuster, prayed: ?My Father who reigns in heaven, hallowed be our name. Your kingdom come! Your will be done on earth, even as it is in heaven??

p. 1512 middle par. 2
?It was the voice of the Personalized Adjuster that John and Jesus heard, speaking on behalf of the Universal Father, for the Adjuster is of, and as, the Paradise Father.?

begin par. 3
?When Jesus was baptized, he repented of no misdeeds; he made no confession of sin.?
par. 4
?This day of baptism ended the purely human life of Jesus. The divine Son has found his Father, the Universal Father has found his incarnated Son, and they speak the one to the other.?

Love,

Carolyn

#12 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

Dear adelfo and Cordelia,

p. 1521, Baptism and the Forty Days, par.4

“Jesus portrayed to all the worlds of his vast universe the folly of creating artificial situations for the purpose of exhibiting arbitrary authority or of indulging exceptional power for the purpose of enhancing moral values or accelerating spiritual progress. Jesus decided that he would not lend his mission on earth to a repetition of the disappointment of the reign of the Maccabees. He refused to prostitute his divine attributes for the purpose of acquiring unearned popularity or for gaining political prestige. He would not countenance the transmutation of divine and creative energy into national power or international prestige. Jesus of Nazareth refused to compromise with evil, much less to consort with sin. The Master triumphantly put loyalty to his Father’s will above every other earthy and temporal consideration.”

As should we.

p. 2017, Meaning of the Death On the Cross, par. 1

“Jesus lived and died for a whole universe, not just for the races of this one world.”

p. 2017, par. 2

“Though it is hardly proper to speak of Jesus as a sacrificer, a ransomer, or a redeemer, it is wholly correct to refer to him as a savior. He forever made the way to salvation (survival) more clear and certain; he did better and more surely show the way of salvation for all the mortals of all the worlds of the universe of Nebadon.”

p. 2016, par. 6

“It is a fact that Urantia has become known among other neighboring inhabited planets as the ’World of the Cross.’”

How are doing answering your question, Cordelia?

Love,

Carolyn

#13 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

I was raised in the Christian faith. Before I started reading the Urantia Book, I was going through a crisis of faith in which I was unsure about the divinity of Christ and other doctrines. Discovering and reading the Urantia Book helped me to better understand and believe in the divine-human nature of Jesus and gave me the assurance that one need not follow an organized religion to follow him.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#14 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thinking of your Christian beginnings, the following is profound to your search for more.

In addition to the topics that you made reference to above I would like to add something based on your statement: "It is such a privilege to know the Son of God and to be called a child of God."

I cannot help but be curious if the traditional concept of Jesus as "the" Son of God as opposed to the Urantia revelation of Jesus as one of many "Creator Sons of God" gave you or anyone else difficulty?
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#15 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Any historical review of religious progression reveals how small we have always made god compared to ourself......man has always made god in man's image. I was over joyed and immediately attracted to how much larger (as I always suspected) was God and His universe and His creatures. It never made in any sense, even to a child, in the 20th century to believe that this rock is the only rock and god is small enough for but us and with but one begotten Son. We are just so special, eh?

I was thrilled to find that this Son was our creator and that of so much more than us. And how much more priveleged for our little chunk of water and dirt covered iron to be chosen by this Son for His universe mission and mercy ministry. What a grand universe and profound love....all enlarged by our own Creator Son, now Master Son of a universe. The virgin birth was just as easily dismissed for me....but a bigger gnat to swallow for some. The UB makes it all more real and realistic and much greater, never lesser, than the myths and fables of our prior religious thinking. Whatever makes God bigger in mind helps transcend our prejudices which make Him smaller. B)
Peace be upon you."

#16 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I do not find the Biblical story of Jesus inspiring. Not at all.
I cared more for Aslan of the Narnia series far more than anything I ever read from the Biblical account.

The portrayal of Jesus in the Urantia Book is far more interesting to me than the portrayal in the Bible.

But I still often see our Michael as Aslan.

#17 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I never could understand why Aslan is a Jesus metaphor. Aslan sacrificed himself to save Edmund, Jesus did not sacrifice himself. The atonement doctrine was put forth as an effort to win Jews who believed in sacrifice.

149:2.3 1. The effort to connect the gospel teaching directly onto the Jewish theology, as illustrated by the Christian doctrines of the atonement - the teaching that Jesus was the sacrificed Son who would satisfy the Father's stern justice and appease the divine wrath. These teachings originated in a praiseworthy effort to make the gospel of the kingdom more acceptable to disbelieving Jews. Though these efforts failed as far as winning the Jews was concerned, they did not fail to confuse and alienate many honest souls in all subsequent generations.

Sacrificing a life is a really ancient idea and not a very good one at that. Jesus was not a scapegoat.

188:4.8 When once you grasp the idea of God as a true and loving Father, the only concept which Jesus ever taught, you must forthwith, in all consistency, utterly abandon all those primitive notions about God as an offended monarch, a stern and all-powerful ruler whose chief delight is to detect his subjects in wrongdoing and to see that they are adequately punished, unless some being almost equal to himself should volunteer to suffer for them, to die as a substitute and in their stead. The whole idea of ransom and atonement is incompatible with the concept of God as it was taught and exemplified by Jesus of Nazareth. The infinite love of God is not secondary to anything in the divine nature.
188:4.9 All this concept of atonement and sacrificial salvation is rooted and grounded in selfishness. Jesus taught that service to one's fellows is the highest concept of the brotherhood of spirit believers.

#18 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Right.

The whole atonement foolishness is not what appealed to me about Aslan at all.
In fact, I pretty much just passed all that off as a mere plot device for that series.

What appealed to me about Aslan was the whole way he was depicted (in various shows based upon the book) as relating with the children in that story.
That's what resulted with me liking that big cat.

Likewise, Jesus appeals to me far more directly due to how he is depicted in the UB.

#19 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I didn't know about this side of you Absonite, Kitties and kiddies . . . hmmm . . . that must be your softer underbelly then? But that kind of thing does appeal to a lot of people. I'm not a huge fan of fairy tales, but they do serve a purpose. And aren't you the one who has father issues? A big fuzzy kitty would definitely be less threatening, I suppose. Whatever works.

#20 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yep - that's exactly it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users