Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

Regarding your birth date when you sign up:

Under the privacy settings, leave both boxes unchecked and no birth date will show up. That's what I did. My age is my business. Hope this is helpful. :)

Meredith

#42 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

But you still had to put in your DOB to register in the first place, right? It's not only the matter of having it show up, I don't think the UAI has any business asking for that info to register in the first place. What do they need it for? I can't think of a singe good reason except maybe statistics, and that's not good enough for me. Sorry to be such a PIA about it, but I won't enter that info, no matter what. Guess I'll be just have to be a reader and not a poster.

#43 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

But you still had to put in your DOB to register in the first place, right? It's not only the matter of having it show up, I don't think the UAI has any business asking for that info to register in the first place. What do they need it for? I can't think of a singe good reason except maybe statistics, and that's not good enough for me. Sorry to be such a PIA about it, but I won't enter that info, no matter what. Guess I'll be just have to be a reader and not a poster.

Hi Guys,

Just got this from the web designer. Sure hope it isn't an insurmountable hurdle Bonita, because it's like Meredith says:

Birth date is being requested so a member's account can be easily found come the time when there are 1000s of registered members. The birthdate does not have to be show, once registered, just put mouse over member's name in upper right corner and pick "Privacy" from drop down memu and unclick both choices for birth date and save.

To Bro Bradly, regarding registration:

...some might have encountered was the "Verification" slider on the "registration form". Our webman has added directions in "red" under this slider. You have to put mouse on arrow bar and slide to right to 'unlock' the form, keeps out spammers.

Holler if there's more trouble.

#44 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Rick! :)

I know that Moderators and Administrators are not responsible for all decisions.

Will history repeat?
Here are thousands of post, (Rick has written the amount) of the pioneers of the first students of the Fifth Revelation.
What better incentive for those to come? with successes, with errors.
Do not think that I am not in favor of renewal, of change, because it is not necessary so, even adapting to these changes.This is evolution at all. But like everything in life think you have to know what is going to change, why and for what. What is the aim?
If this is higher, if it is to acquire more goods for our spiritual growth, well, the change should be made. And past experience the'll keep in our memory, as base, but not forgotten to let them file it where no one can see it ...

It is very logical and understandable that some day all this should be filed, but someday ... when is the right time and has evolved in higher levels,Compared with current.
But for now, how we follow the evolution of thought, the insights of this group (forum) if suddenly we cut? the thread ideas would break.the continuity and evolution in the different topics. How to see if all that growth has been archived and forgotten?
And ultimately, does it not ask might expose of all, closed for that no longer can write more, but to serve as a place of consultation?

Here is a quote that I use an analogy:

(1195.4) 109:1.3 Actual living experience has no cosmic substitute. The perfection of the divinity of a newly formed Thought Adjuster does not in any manner endow this Mystery Monitor with experienced ministrative ability. Experience is inseparable from a living existence; it is the one thing which no amount of divine endowment can absolve you from the necessity of securing by actual living. Therefore, in common with all beings living and functioning within the present sphere of the Supreme, Thought Adjusters must acquire experience; they must evolve from the lower, inexperienced, to the higher, more experienced, groups.

Perhaps we will find in the new forum, beings with great experienecia,very enlightened and experts?

Returning to the above, for me, is not yet time, lack long way to go from where we are, but what we will leave, after filing an adventure uncertain.
The information is scarce, it seems it would be a financial problem, but there are other ways to achieve contributions...
But of course, I'm writing from what little I know, no responsible for this desicion we announced anything, do not know their names, I know nothing ...

I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. but this is what I can perceive at this time.

Sincerely and with my best intentions.
What is the Best!

Greetings to all!

Alina

#45 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Rick - it worked!! I recommend such instructions and help buttons on each step too. Not all geeks are created equal....and I don't even speak geek!! I empathize with all who are distressed about the changes to come and I agree that the historical record of these discusions and instructions is an invaluable resource. I have read less than 10% with great effort over an entire year. It also lets me get to know different contributors and their developing experience in text. But change is the only constant. May we find the superior way forward. Thanks to all. (Bonita - fake your bday and then "privacy" it and come over...eventually. I'll be here as long as there is a here while I try to learn navigation and functionality on the new one.) :unsure: :( <_< ;) B)
Peace be upon you."

#46 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Looks pretty cool everybody!! The discussions are distinct from the networking and social connectivity. Will try my best to embrace the change. Kudos to UAI and Foundation to modernize access and utilization for all the growth to come. May the valiant carry on and bring their wisdom to those to come. Thank you everyone. This has been a wonderful and rewarding year for this tadpole. I have learned much here and have come to love many I did not even know before. See you on the other side...... ;) .....of the Forum.
Peace be upon you."

#47 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Dear Bradly and Rick and all,
I registered at new site but have no clue how to navigate. It is visually overwhelming. Here on this site it is so simple to access. Perhaps for some the new is a good thing. Like much of the world today we adjust or not.
I will try for awhile, but reading TUB has always been my real love rather than discussing what I read. I am not complaining just stating my own individual first impression of the change.

Where is the handbook? :wacko:

Love to you all always, :wub:
Carolyn
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#48 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Here sincerely hoping you will join the family over there, Carolyn. I was a bit overwhelmed at first too, but after some poking around, am getting familiar with the important buttons and bells. Ask any question, maybe one of us can help. :wub: :)

#49 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Birth date is being requested so a member's account can be easily found come the time when there are 1000s of registered members. The birthdate does not have to be show, once registered, just put mouse over member's name in upper right corner and pick "Privacy" from drop down memu and unclick both choices for birth date and save.

I'll be blunt. That is the lamest excuse for using private information I've ever heard. Don't they realize that with thousands of members there are going to be people with the same birthday? How about using a registration number?

#50 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'll be blunt. That is the lamest excuse for using private information I've ever heard. Don't they realize that with thousands of members there are going to be people with the same birthday? How about using a registration number?

Thanks. Will forward your reply.

#51 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Rick. I'm sure they will think I'm a nut case. But let's not forget that it was a respected member of this very forum who hacked into my email, along with others, and spread it around the internet with the intent to slander. There are stinkers everywhere.

#52 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi Bonita,

I'm sorry you're worried and upset.

I have a couple of comments. Registration at the UAI website is like Facebook registration. Facebook has over one billion accounts. One billion people put up their birth-date to register and they don't seem to mind. One billion! The webmaster suggested that a fake birth-date can be used to get in, as Bradly previously mentioned, and then, in the privacy settings, leave those 2 boxes unchecked. That's the only way to work around it.

When this forum is closed, archived, and preserved somewhere, it will be a fossil, a dinosaur, a relic. People may want to go back to investigate, inspect and study it, as we do relics and artifacts of the past. But really, life is a living and dynamic experience. God changes not, but just about everything else does change, and down here on Earth it has to. It's inevitable.

The experience of God-consciousness remains the same from generation to generation, but with each advancing epoch in human knowledge the philosophic concept and the theologic definitions of God must change. God-knowingness, religious consciousness, is a universe reality, but no matter how valid (real) religious experience is, it must be willing to subject itself to intelligent criticism and reasonable philosophic interpretation; it must not seek to be a thing apart in the totality of human experience. P.69 - §7

New definitions of God and all other knowledge is changing. Social networking is where the action is regarding the Urantia Book. We've had a fun and somewhat exclusive experience here on the forum. In the scheme of things very, very few people come here to talk to each other. Over there at the new place it, a brand new experience is available for us, especially those of us who are "older"..I notice that "older" people such as myself are resistant to change. And the older we get the more resistant we can become. I speak for myself. But we have to go forward, not backward. And the website is taking us forward, by virtue of the vision, planning and expense of dedicated readers.

I am one of the most private people you would ever meet, and I'm older. I fully understand the skepticism, worry, and resistance to show up as the person I am, a real person with an identity, on the Internet. I did it and I'm not sorry, whatever may come of it. Maybe all the fear is for naught. It usually is. Your experience is unfortunate, but are you going to let that stop you?

My personal prayer is - I will go where he sends me, and I will do his bidding.

I hope you too, Bonita, will have the courage to join us over there.

All the best,
Meredith

#53 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Carolyn and Alina and all.......I am happy to report that the Open Forum discussion site is easy to use and navigate....it is very familiar in many ways. Like Rick suggests, just find that one place to begin and then do some poking around. I'll bet I will use some of those tools....eventually. But for now, I made my first reply post to Absonite's new thread on how the UB helps me to get closer to God in mind as a living, religious experience. I think this is going to be fun....eventually. Hate tech learning curves too. Got our first smart phones for Christmas last. Oh dear. Will never use 1% of its capabilities. But I'd like to know how to operate that harp of God when I get my hands on one....hope the Lord is more intuitive than most geeks and more sympathetic to tech challenged geezers like me. Don't let the new site intimidate you, we can do this thing. Imagine potential...and grab a shovel....there's work to be done in the Kingdom.

:rolleyes:
Peace be upon you."

#54 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi Bradly,

I intended to say hello to you over there, but was busy talking to someone else on the instant message thingy. I'm learning how to use it too! I'm so glad you joined! It's a ton of fun.

Meredith

#55 Carolyn

Carolyn

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Dear Meredith, Bradly, Bonita, and Rick,

"A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Forum today!" :ph34r: ...unknown author
An Angel called; :rolleyes: read and showed me the "handbook." Her happiness at being able to have fun on the new Forum was contagious. ;) I caught the bug and within a few minutes I had taken the GIANT leap... :o. Imagine that? :unsure: At 71 you can still teach an "old" teacher new tricks. :wub:

Voila! It is fun to live chat at the "new" UAI Forum with friends. The cost was less than a good roast (a small one these days). <_< My angel knows that I love her almost as much as the invisible angels sitting with now!!!!!!!

Thank you dear angel ?, :wub: :wub: :wub:

Carolyn
"Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love."

#56 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hello!

The new UAI website is a ton of fun, as Carolyn says.

I have a comment or two about subscribing. First, it doesn't cost anything. But I would add that the cost of developing and running this website is very huge. The expense of it will not decline over time. Going forward, if they decide to make a mobile application for cell phones, it will be even vastly more costly. Here in this forum, we have 17 sub-forums. Over there, you will find 900 sub-forums, and, get this, 16,000 prefixes. I haven't yet learned about prefixes, but I will learn! I think it means there are 16,000 places you can click on and go to.

The free part of the UAI website is called "General Public Urantia Dialogue Zone." OPAD is there, and today Rick has posted his work beginning with Paper 125. There are 13 other categories besides OPAD in this Zone, but to find them you have to click on "Gen/Pub/Uran/Zone", and they will be displayed for you. Select and comment on the one you choose, or start another thread on a subject of interest to you under one of the other headings.

Back to subscriptions. The free zone costs nothing. You can, however, be a paid subscriber - $20 gets you in, or as Carolyn says "less than the cost of a good roast." The subscription money has nothing to do with UAI membership, but has everything to do with paying for the website! If you go to the market to buy a magazine you like, you have to pay for it. I subscribe to a magazine called "Consumer Report." If, however, I want to research something on the Internet from the magazine, I cannot do so unless I pay an extra fee for it online. the magazine is static, whereas the UAI website is dynamic and there is not one like it in existence!

Your $20 (or another subscription amount you choose) gives you access to the other 876 sub-forums, as well as those 16,000 prefixes! What a deal! What do you get for $20 these days? Hardly the cost of a hardcover book or a good bottle of wine.

All the best,
Meredith

#57 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

The site is massively layered. When you go to http://www.urantia-uai.org/ you'll find the homepage. If you want to find the social network, click on "Your Urantia Community". Go to "Global Social Network". And you'll see all the forums listed. This architecture facilitates a dynamic network to communicate with other readers, and, equally important, to do in-depth study of the book. You'll find the sign-up button there, as well.

I admit to my excitement and joy in watching this network build and build, as people sign up. Some I know. Others I do not know. It's fun to IM people I know! There is another thingy called "Chatroom" where you can create a group study or any conversation with others. You create the group and make the setting either "public" or "private". It's very cool. Really slick! Hope you enjoy it! I do.

All the best,
Meredith

#58 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hello!

Back to subscriptions. The free zone costs nothing. You can, however, be a paid subscriber - $20 gets you in, or as Carolyn says "less than the cost of a good roast." The subscription money has nothing to do with UAI membership, but has everything to do with paying for the website! If you go to the market to buy a magazine you like, you have to pay for it. I subscribe to a magazine called "Consumer Report." If, however, I want to research something on the Internet from the magazine, I cannot do so unless I pay an extra fee for it online. the magazine is static, whereas the UAI website is dynamic and there is not one like it in existence!

Your $20 (or another subscription amount you choose) gives you access to the other 876 sub-forums, as well as those 16,000 prefixes! What a deal! What do you get for $20 these days? Hardly the cost of a hardcover book or a good bottle of wine.

All the best,
Meredith

Dear Merediht! :)

I'm surprised, because I just realized something.
Maintaining a website (the Forum Hosting) costs $ 20 a year, at least here.
Or is it that I do not quite understand your post?

Much love and thanks!

Alina

#59 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hello Alina!

Much love to you, and thanks for your question.

I don't know what it costs to "maintain" the website. A lot! The lowest paid subscription tier is $20 a year. One can choose a higher tier @ $50/year, $100/year and so on. But $20 gets you in where you have access to areas of discussion that a non-paying subscriber cannot see and read. In the same way the "Wall Street Journal" or the "NY Times" offers a free look at their daily papers where you get highlights for free, they want you to subscribe to the whole enchilada and you have to pay to get it.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Meredith

#60 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hello Alina!

Much love to you, and thanks for your question.

I don't know what it costs to "maintain" the website. A lot! The lowest paid subscription tier is $20 a year. One can choose a higher tier @ $50/year, $100/year and so on. But $20 gets you in where you have access to areas of discussion that a non-paying subscriber cannot see and read. In the same way the "Wall Street Journal" or the "NY Times" offers a free look at their daily papers where you get highlights for free, they want you to subscribe to the whole enchilada and you have to pay to get it.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Meredith

Dear Meredith, sorry but I still do not understand ...
I have a page where everyone can read and write, being registered, of course, and I pay $ 20 for one year.
So what is the goal? being that people who work in maintaining the forum (webmaster, administrators,
moderators) are volunteers?
Adding the chat does not require great expense.

Of course, paying $ 20 is not expensive.Here would also be the cost of four kilos of good steer beef.
But anyway What is the goal?

Another question: payment. is per month, per year, for once?

Thank you again! :)
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I have curiosity to understand some points.
And also serve for those who are wondering what I, but not write for advice :rolleyes:

All the best to you too!

Alina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users