• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm starring this thread as a place to discuss the differences, similarities, and possible ways for addressing the teachings of the UB compared to the popularly called "New Age" teachings.

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Define New Age.

#3 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

This old hippie grew up in the Age of Aquarius and there is little that is new about New Age truly. It is mostly a mixing up of various forms of Old Age practices. I think the beauty of this new age is the energy and quantity of truth seekers that sprang forth and are still springing forth in rejection of creed, dogma, and priests to embrace the individual experience of truth, beauty, and goodness. And it's a real mixed bag......transcendental meditation, zen and the Tao, Gurdjief and Ouspensky, Steven Gaskin, Baba Ram Das and other forms of western and eastern philosophies and practices , Sufi dancing, selling flowers in airports with shaved head and orange robes, combined with astrology and tarot and channeling to Kesey's Pranksters and Abbey's "drop out, tune in, and turn on"....mix in some pyramid hats and crystals, wine and weed.....and you've almost got it!! The psychodelic experience was not only recreational and it too is a big factor or was in the early days. The mystics were earnest in their/our experimentation in mind....to escape the chaos and to embrace change. But, I think we'll find that for too many "practitioners", there is an impatience and a big ME in the middle of this....most new agers I have known are like butterflies, they don't stick to any particular flower too long. Or, perhaps, like me, they gather the nectar of truth from each flower and grow thereby to better recognize truth wherever it may be and their search will lead them to TA and Spirit and a love of truth, beauty, and goodness......maybe even a big blue book will land in their lap, eh?

Wikipedia:

The New Age movement is a Western spiritual movement that developed in the second half of the 20th century. Its central precepts have been described as "drawing on both Eastern and Western spiritual and metaphysical traditions and infusing them with influences from self-help and motivational psychology, holistic health, parapsychology, consciousness research and quantum physics".[2]
It aims to create "a spirituality without borders or confining dogmas" that is inclusive and pluralistic.[3] It holds to "a holistic worldview",[4] emphasising that the Mind, Body and Spirit are interrelated[1] and that there is a form of monism and unity throughout the universe.[5] It attempts to create "a worldview that includes both science and spirituality"[6] and embraces a number of forms of mainstream science as well as other forms of science that are considered fringe.
The origins of the movement can be found in Medieval astrology and alchemy, such as the writings of Paracelsus, in Renaissance interests in Hermeticism, in 18th century mysticism, such as that of Emanuel Swedenborg, and in beliefs in animal magnetism espoused by Franz Mesmer. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, authors such as Godfrey Higgins and the esotericists Eliphas Levi, Helena Blavatsky, and George Gurdjieff articulated specific histories, cosmologies, and some of the basic philosophical principles that would influence the movement. It experienced a revival as a result of the work of individuals such as Alice Bailey and organizations such as the Theosophical Society. It gained further momentum in the 1960s, taking influence from metaphysics, perennial philosophy, self-help psychology, and the various Indian gurus who visited the West during that decade.[7] In the 1970s, it developed a social and political component.[8]
The New Age movement includes elements of older spiritual and religious traditions ranging from monotheism through classical pantheism, naturalistic pantheism, pandeism, panentheism, and polytheism combined with science and Gaia philosophy; particularly archaeoastronomy, astronomy, ecology, environmentalism, the Gaia hypothesis, UFO religions, psychology, and physics.
New Age practices and philosophies sometimes draw inspiration from major world religions: Buddhism, Taoism, Chinese folk religion, Christianity, Hinduism, Sufism, Judaism (especially Kabbalah), Sikhism; with strong influences from East Asian religions, Gnosticism, Hermeticism, Neopaganism, New Thought, Spiritualism, Theosophy, Universalism and Western esotericism.[9] The term New Age refers to the coming astrological Age of Aquarius.[

Edited by Bradly aka/fanofVan, 26 February 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Peace be upon you."

#4 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

The so-called new age was all about metaphysics.

Metaphysics has proved a failure; mota, man cannot perceive. Revelation is the only technique which can compensate for the absence of the truth sensitivity of mota in a material world. Revelation authoritatively clarifies the muddle of reason-developed metaphysics on an evolutionary sphere. P.1136 - §3

Metaphysics stands for man's well-meant but futile effort to compensate for the absence of the mota of morontia. P.1136 - §2

Metaphysics knows nothing of morontia mind. But there is such a thing as true metaphysics. Someone can look that one up.

All the best,
Meredith

#5 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

This old hippie grew up in the Age of Aquarius and there is little that is new about New Age truly. It is mostly a mixing up of various forms of Old Age practices. I think the beauty of this new age is the energy and quantity of truth seekers that sprang forth and are still springing forth in rejection of creed, dogma, and priests to embrace the individual experience of truth, beauty, and goodness. And it's a real mixed bag......transcendental meditation, zen and the Tao, Gurdjief and Ouspensky, Steven Gaskin, Baba Ram Das and other forms of western and eastern philosophies and practices , Sufi dancing, selling flowers in airports with shaved head and orange robes, combined with astrology and tarot and channeling to Kesey's Pranksters and Abbey's "drop out, tune in, and turn on"....mix in some pyramid hats and crystals, wine and weed.....and you've almost got it!! The psychodelic experience was not only recreational and it too is a big factor or was in the early days. The mystics were earnest in their/our experimentation in mind....to escape the chaos and to embrace change. But, I think we'll find that for too many "practitioners", there is an impatience and a big ME in the middle of this....most new agers I have known are like butterflies, they don't stick to any particular flower too long. Or, perhaps, like me, they gather the nectar of truth from each flower and grow thereby to better recognize truth wherever it may be and their search will lead them to TA and Spirit and a love of truth, beauty, and goodness......maybe even a big blue book will land in their lap, eh?

Hi all!
I agree FanofVan:

Yes, with the intention of being fair, since many people who are with the New Age movement, I think it is to despise, would be counterproductive in light of the Urantia Revelations and Teachings of Jesus.
I have acquaintances who are in this movement, otherwise very branched, and the truth is as FanofVan said, are seekers of truth.
Beyond that many points do not match our philosophy, in other match, indeed, some are also UB, trying ...
So instead of making a destructive criticism, on the other hand, not for us, it would be better to attract those people, who after all are fighting for a better world. The false prejudices do not help here, we know,
They are brothers who fight for something better, moreover is other, and come to realize that at some points. they are going wrong, as we are wrong to try to understand ourselves, understand and recognize many new concepts that brings the UB.
Those belonging New Age movement read this forum,Then, they are welcome, and it will, when making real consciousness that sometimes, how easy or illusory, not last,
I say this because I know some little confidence in their own interpretation of the Universal Laws, in their experimentation. while it is true that the laws exist, they are not always well understood and applied.
I know someone who has felt seriously frustrated because his decrees were not met, you should not go to such extremes.
I tell you, the members of the New Age, which are very pleasing, seekers of true love, I recognize all their well-intentioned efforts to improve, have taken an important turn on the way up, have helped many people, but also invite you to read and study in depth the Fifth Revelation, you will realize that some ideas are related and some not, then everyone has free will. I also know that many of those belonging to a movement called New Age, this step, helps them to gain a better understanding Urantia Revelation. Yes, verily I say. because the base has an open mind, an interest in the search and the great desire to bring about positive change and look for love among men. God grant that all together, pioneers of a better world, we obtain our goal;

Peace on earth and goodwill among men.
This is what counts, at least as I see it.

How had acted Master Jesus, at the light of the teachings of the UB. on this occasion? Do you think you? :)

Goodness-Beauty-Truth

Love...

Alina

Edited by Alina, 26 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#6 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

...as a place to discuss the differences, similarities, and possible ways for addressing ( __ ) compared to ( __ ) ...

While doing some artistic Zen motorcycle maintenance way back, I got to wondering: if two enlightened souls from different cultures should meet, what facts about the universe could they share?

Sure, as persons they could share essential truths. But as humans, what value (for the other) would each other's meanings have? Such unique trails, such varied experience...

What if they came to share some kind of "vocabulary of concept" ?

Then the UB appeared, like a link we did not know was missing :huh:

Nigel

#7 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

After giving this topic a lot of intense contemplation over the decades, I have come to the conclusion that I really cannot make an adequate sound-bite definition for New Ageism. However, that does not mean an explanation which reveals key points of a generally common New Age philosophy cannot be crafted. My caveat about what I'm going to offer here is that it reflects what I have observed from authors I have read, and practitioners I have known (and know).

1. Pantheism

The phrase that sums this up is: God is All and all is God - where the phrase "all is God" is crucial and explicitly means that each and every thing and person is God. A tree is God. A cat is God. A cup is God. The air is God. A pile of tomatoes is God. etc... No particular thing or person is not God. And with regard to people, that ostensibly includes you, me, and anyone else brought up for consideration. We (both individuals and as a collective) supposedly are God.

Now the word God is very troubling for many (not all, but many) New Agers because the term brings to mind the worst qualities, behavior, condemnations, etc... of religionists they have known, and of Deity as they had been taught. So some prefer to use the phrase The Absolute, the word Energy, or Source, or Unity, etc... which do not evoke those associations for them. Some do use the word God, but make it very clear that their perspective is the correct (the Enlightened, the Awakened, etc...) perspective, unlike what they claim the negative notions classical religionists (and their respectively associated religions) mean by the word.

2. Cosmology

Experience is differentiated as gradations. The levels are called by various terms specific for the particular approach a sub-group of New Agers prefers using. A few of the most popular terms are: layers; dimensions; densities; planes - and there are many other such similar terms, which might reference unique shades of meaning, but which all basically stand for the same basic idea of levels in and with which we exist and can function. Those levels are often arranged according to a system presented as a continuum. Things and beings that inhabit and operate on the "lowest" pole are the most physical, and the gradations along the way to the "highest" pole are increasingly spiritual. Lower and higher often are interchangeably discussed in relation with each other as outer and inner - where the lowest is external and the highest is internal. The pole of the continuum are also popularly characterized as fear and love, fear and confidence, war and peace, ego and soul, unenlightenment and enlightenment, forgetfulness and remembrance, separation and unity, Slumber and Wakefulness, etc... again, it depends upon the sub-group's particular teachings and emphasis. Many times, the terms for one pole are all used to explain each other (being Asleep is living according to ego, forgetting who one really is, considering everything as separate, living in fear, being unenlightened, operating at a lower frequency, engaging in perpetual conflict, etc... and likewise with the terms for the other pole).

3. Process

Each of us is explaned to have come (or descended) to the lower end of the continuum of levels to engage the adventure of moving (ascending) from the lower end to the higher end. That means: we are supposed to shift from being Asleep to being Awake: shift from fear to love; shift from ego to soul; shift from being unenlightened to being enlightened; shift from forgetting to remembering, etc... And all that is done by progressively adopting the pantheistic viewpoint, and attempting to live according to it which naturally results with being loving, peaceful, joyous, cooperative, compassionate, etc...

All the various rituals, meditations, costumes, trinkets, crystals, stones, incense, cards, etc... are tools to be used for "ascending" the continuum of levels, becoming "multidimensional", becoming Enlightened, Awakening, etc... The goal is - if possible - to achieve that goal during this lifetime. But if that goal cannot be achieved, then one gets an infinite number of chances to come back here, to reincarnate, and work at getting it right the next time. And there are consequences for not getting it right: because whatever mistakes one makes determines the challenges and circumstances faced the next time around to "learn the lesson".

That is about as concise as I can come to offering an explanation for what I discern as the general philosophical gist of New Ageism that I have encountered.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#8 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi Absonite: I think we should consider that there are many groups and not all the same, as it has no fixed rules. They are very diversified, no unit concepts.
What I have seen here from New Age movements, does not fully is coincident with what you say,
But of course, I do not doubt what you know, just like you're talking about one of the many currents
of thought, but as I said in my previous post, there are many today who call themselves New Age.
But many ...

Thank you! :)

Alina.

#9 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Alina - you're right.

The various New Age approaches are not all the same.
Differences in the specific details of their philosophical explanations do exist.

However, what I outlined above really does seem to me to be the essential general gist of their philosophy.

I don't know what you've seen with regard to New Age movements - so I ask: would you please provide me a very clear example of a New Age approach that espouses something different than just one, or different than some specialized combination, of those general philosophical points that I explained above?

And for the record - I'm about to get to the point of talking about the UB in relation to New Ageism.
I'm just pausing here a moment to learn of the requested example from Alina.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#10 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

If you look at the books on Amazon.com that buyers of the Urantia Book also buy, the vast majority of them could be classified as new age books.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#11 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Alina - you're right.

The various New Age approaches are not all the same.
Differences in the specific details of their philosophical explanations do exist.

However, what I outlined above really does seem to me to be the essential general gist of their philosophy.

I don't know what you've seen with regard to New Age movements - so I ask: would you please provide me a very clear example of a New Age approach that espouses something different than just one, or different than some specialized combination, of those general philosophical points that I explained above?

And for the record - I'm about to get to the point of talking about the UB in relation to New Ageism.
I'm just pausing here a moment to learn of the requested example from Alina.

Hello Absonite!

It is not my interest to discuss the ideas of the New Age movement, I have answered about what I think.
But, so that you can follow and as you asked me, I answered something;

As far as I know, they do not think that God has no body, or that lacks personality.
It's true God is all, this is also in the UB. and accepted by the New Age movement.
To my knowledge, I have not seen, pantheism as you show it.. God the tree, tomato ... nooo
But actually if we think of the Life Carriers life, eg some God is in everything:

(396.2) 36:1.1...The Life Carriers are the offspring of three pre-existent personalities: the Creator Son, the Universe Mother Spirit, and, by designation, one of the three Ancients of Days presiding over the destinies of the superuniverse concerned...

Nor do I see how fear, condemnation, and everything mention it, they call it the Universal Father. Yes, there may be remnants of bad experiences, but this is not exclusive members of the New Age ...
I do not know about (the Enlightened, the Awakened) that's new for me. They have not associated religions, the contrary, one religion or the union of all.

Cosmology

What you have written is new to me, the only thing I can say is that nothing of fear. What is one of the poles that use universal laws, but are misunderstanding, I think.
In the UB. we talk about levels ...The separation and unity are also in Revelations

Process

While I do not know the origin of what you say, this process is related to the ascent of the psychic circles.To my knowledge, are clear that the incense is only complement. But no punishment as you mention. They try to be relaxed, for meditations and that is a means to an end, does not seem neither good nor bad. I know the process is more related to practice kindness.

I can not give detailed explanations, I've never been in a group of New Age, but I write what I know so has a friend who attends one. If you look, there is information on the web.

I know there are other... perhaps you name one of these, under the name of New Age, there is a lot ...

I return to the question:
What would, or rather, What would Jesus say on this occasion?

Greetings,

Alina

Absonite-Posted Today, 01:46 PM
After giving this topic a lot of intense contemplation over the decades, I have come to the conclusion that I really cannot make an adequate sound-bite definition for New Ageism. However, that does not mean an explanation which reveals key points of a generally common New Age philosophy cannot be crafted. My caveat about what I'm going to offer here is that it reflects what I have observed from authors I have read, and practitioners I have known (and know).

1. Pantheism

The phrase that sums this up is: God is All and all is God - where the phrase "all is God" is crucial and explicitly means that each and every thing and person is God. A tree is God. A cat is God. A cup is God. The air is God. A pile of tomatoes is God. etc... No particular thing or person is not God. And with regard to people, that ostensibly includes you, me, and anyone else brought up for consideration. We (both individuals and as a collective) supposedly are God.

Now the word God is very troubling for many (not all, but many) New Agers because the term brings to mind the worst qualities, behavior, condemnations, etc... of religionists they have known, and of Deity as they had been taught. So some prefer to use the phrase The Absolute, the word Energy, or Source, or Unity, etc... which do not evoke those associations for them. Some do use the word God, but make it very clear that their perspective is the correct (the Enlightened, the Awakened, etc...) perspective, unlike what they claim the negative notions classical religionists (and their respectively associated religions) mean by the word.

2. Cosmology

Experience is differentiated as gradations. The levels are called by various terms specific for the particular approach a sub-group of New Agers prefers using. A few of the most popular terms are: layers; dimensions; densities; planes - and there are many other such similar terms, which might reference unique shades of meaning, but which all basically stand for the same basic idea of levels in and with which we exist and can function. Those levels are often arranged according to a system presented as a continuum. Things and beings that inhabit and operate on the "lowest" pole are the most physical, and the gradations along the way to the "highest" pole are increasingly spiritual. Lower and higher often are interchangeably discussed in relation with each other as outer and inner - where the lowest is external and the highest is internal. The pole of the continuum are also popularly characterized as fear and love, fear and confidence, war and peace, ego and soul, unenlightenment and enlightenment, forgetfulness and remembrance, separation and unity, Slumber and Wakefulness, etc... again, it depends upon the sub-group's particular teachings and emphasis. Many times, the terms for one pole are all used to explain each other (being Asleep is living according to ego, forgetting who one really is, considering everything as separate, living in fear, being unenlightened, operating at a lower frequency, engaging in perpetual conflict, etc... and likewise with the terms for the other pole).

3. Process

Each of us is explaned to have come (or descended) to the lower end of the continuum of levels to engage the adventure of moving (ascending) from the lower end to the higher end. That means: we are supposed to shift from being Asleep to being Awake: shift from fear to love; shift from ego to soul; shift from being unenlightened to being enlightened; shift from forgetting to remembering, etc... And all that is done by progressively adopting the pantheistic viewpoint, and attempting to live according to it which naturally results with being loving, peaceful, joyous, cooperative, compassionate, etc...

All the various rituals, meditations, costumes, trinkets, crystals, stones, incense, cards, etc... are tools to be used for "ascending" the continuum of levels, becoming "multidimensional", becoming Enlightened, Awakening, etc... The goal is - if possible - to achieve that goal during this lifetime. But if that goal cannot be achieved, then one gets an infinite number of chances to come back here, to reincarnate, and work at getting it right the next time. And there are consequences for not getting it right: because whatever mistakes one makes determines the challenges and circumstances faced the next time around to "learn the lesson".

That is about as concise as I can come to offering an explanation for what I discern as the general philosophical gist of New Ageism that I have encountered.

Edited by Absonite, Today, 01:52 PM.

Edited by Alina, 26 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#12 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Alina - honestly, some of what you're writing seems only tangentially related to what I wrote.
I'm not sure if this is due to a first-language vs second-language issue?

For example: I did not mention punishment at all, yet you write that I mentioned it in relation to incense?

The New Age philosophy of which I am familiar is not from a particular cohesive group in terms of practice, it is a perspective expressed over a couple of decades now through various writers like Shirley McClain, Shakti Gawain, Jane Roberts, Ken Carey, Marianne Williamson, Deepak Chopra, James Redfield, Barbara Clow, Barbara Marciniak, Neale Walsh, Wayne Dyer, Sylvia Brown, Rhonda Byrne and others of their literary ilk from North America. Since the advent of the Internet, many more authors have carried on their collective traditions in countless blogs and forums online.

The reason examining some of what constitutes their philosophy is important is because doing so highlights the differences between New Ageism and the Urantia Book (the UB is not a New Age book in the way that the books of those aforementioned authors are New Age books) - and because there are some (albeit precious few, I celebrate those pearls of commonality) teachings that are similar (not the same) and could provide ways for UB readers to discuss concepts from the UB universe frame for the edification of New Agers.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#13 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Absonite, yes, maybe I did not quite understand well this point but I meant that you wrote:
"And there are consequences for not getting it right: because whatever mistakes one makes determines the challenges and circumstances faced the next time around to"learn the lesson"."

Anyway, it does not seem very wise to make such comparisons, it does not attract people and encourages discussions that lead nowhere.
For what? What is the goal here?
Everyone has their ideas.
Whoever wants to come, come ...!

Greetings,

Alina

#14 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Alina - did I not very clearly just tell you what the goal was in my last post?

The reason examining some of what constitutes their philosophy is important is because doing so highlights the differences between New Ageism and the Urantia Book (the UB is not a New Age book in the way that the books of those aforementioned authors are New Age books) - and because there are some (albeit precious few, I celebrate those pearls of commonality) teachings that are similar (not the same) and could provide ways for UB readers to discuss concepts from the UB universe frame for the edification of New Agers.

Did you read that?

If you did and cannot comprehend what I mean -
If you simply are unattracted to discussing the topic of this thread - and
If you think that discussion about this will lead nowhere -

Then you can simply choose not to participate.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#15 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

There is some interesting simalirities between what Lucifer was doing and some new-age belief. The concept that you are god, and that you are a well-spring of divinity instead of God and the adjuster is something that comes up a lot, that is similar to what Lucifer was about IMO.

There is a lot of mysticism involved with new age that the u.b seems to touch on as well.

All in all though I have found a lot of new-agers open to reading the urantia book. I even was a new-ager before I read the urantia book.

Edited by -Scott-, 26 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#16 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Absonite, it's not that I do not want to participate, I am interested in the concepts and their comparison with both the new and the old, but what I do not like it, attack those who might be new Readers of the UB. and I think this is not the way, it is not compatible with the teachings of the UB. Unless, with what Jesus taught us.
Sorry. :)

I already gave my opinion, here:

Hi all!
I agree FanofVan:

Yes, with the intention of being fair, since many people who are with the New Age movement, I think it is to despise, would be counterproductive in light of the Urantia Revelations and Teachings of Jesus.
I have acquaintances who are in this movement, otherwise very branched, and the truth is as FanofVan said, are seekers of truth.
Beyond that many points do not match our philosophy, in other match, indeed, some are also UB, trying ...
So instead of making a destructive criticism, on the other hand, not for us, it would be better to attract those people, who after all are fighting for a better world. The false prejudices do not help here, we know,
They are brothers who fight for something better, moreover is other, and come to realize that at some points. they are going wrong, as we are wrong to try to understand ourselves, understand and recognize many new concepts that brings the UB.
Those belonging New Age movement read this forum,Then, they are welcome, and it will, when making real consciousness that sometimes, how easy or illusory, not last,
I say this because I know some little confidence in their own interpretation of the Universal Laws, in their experimentation. while it is true that the laws exist, they are not always well understood and applied.
I know someone who has felt seriously frustrated because his decrees were not met, you should not go to such extremes.
I tell you, the members of the New Age, which are very pleasing, seekers of true love, I recognize all their well-intentioned efforts to improve, have taken an important turn on the way up, have helped many people, but also invite you to read and study in depth the Fifth Revelation, you will realize that some ideas are related and some not, then everyone has free will. I also know that many of those belonging to a movement called New Age, this step, helps them to gain a better understanding Urantia Revelation. Yes, verily I say. because the base has an open mind, an interest in the search and the great desire to bring about positive change and look for love among men. God grant that all together, pioneers of a better world, we obtain our goal;

Peace on earth and goodwill among men.
This is what counts, at least as I see it.

How had acted Master Jesus, at the light of the teachings of the UB. on this occasion? Do you think you? :)

Goodness-Beauty-Truth

Love...

Alina

#17 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Alina - what is all this stuff about "attack"?

The three points of New Age philosophy that I outlined in the above post simply are an explanation for what I consider to be the general gist of New Age philosophy (in light of those authors, and the people whom I have known who believe variations of it).

Now, from there, I will move on to how those three points differ, and the similarities, compared to what the UB teaches - and begin exploring ways in which the various gaps can be bridged.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#18 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Two of Sister Alina's primary points are: distinguishing differences may not attract those who are different if done in a critical or a superior way; and that there are few similarities in any New Age practitioners or students - as Nigel referenced above: " What if they came to share some kind of "vocabulary of concept" ? " So, not only is each religionist approaching the Greater from the lesser in their own way but there is no shared vocabulary of concepts therein. Been deep and long down this road and can testify to the dissimilarities of any and all New Age seekers.

If you have a million catholics, how many religions are represented? Well, a million of course....and they do share concepts, terms, even beliefs and rituals, and yet, for every million religionists there are one million distinct religions and religious experiences. The challenge for every seeker is a unified and reasonable and consistant philosophy of living and growing....to be and to become by faith acts is as valid under any terms or descriptions...

Having said that, I look forward to your efforts Absonite and learn by your perspective and voice. B)

Edited by Bradly aka/fanofVan, 26 February 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Peace be upon you."

#19 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

My picture is not so rosey: Totalitarian, Godless secularists running amok. Marx appears to be the definition of the new age from my perspective.
My memory is haunted by the 60's and the so-called flower children - Just one example: August 1968 I got a belly full of Abby and Ayres who instigated the Chicago riots - I was on the control end of that one. Nowdays Ayres visits our commander in chief regularly.
I pray that I could see society that had an interest in finding God but I cannot - those who do, appear in the minority to me.

On the bright side - there is always a bright side:
I did go to church with my son last weekend. It was a Christian Appologetics seminar. Many Christians are thinking outside of the box these days - I was really impressed.
I went to a lecture on science and the Bible, some Christians now believe in evolution and are letting go of the idea that the world is only 6000 years old. Also a lecture by a doctor of early english literature - professor at a university - that gave her story of conversion from athiesm to Christianity. Her athiesm could not hold up intellectually to the Christianity that was at the root of her literary studies. Some deep thinking and truth seeking going on.
I estimated 3500 to 4000 people, maybe 20% were teenagers.
I did not get a firm understanding of Christian Appologetics - can anybody help me here?
But then again, I go to work at a local university and my enthusiasm is challenged by youngsters that see me as a racist religious fanatic - a relic that is on the way out.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#20 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well, Bradly, by that approach if you have a million UB readers, how many different perspectives and take on it do you have?
If you have a million people, how many different perspectives and takes on life do you have?

That approach is so broad that nearly applies to anything - but that doesn't mean that there are not also similarities of general belief in each respective case. And when the similarities from one group are compared to the similarities of another group, the differences are as apparent as that of Catholics and Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus, etc... and, of course, New Agers and UB readers.

I'm comfortable with there being both differences and similarities, denying neither one for the other.

I suspect that those who are familiar with the works of the authors I listed above, and those who believe them, will get what I mean here by New Ager and New Ageism.

Edited by Absonite, 26 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users