• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

We know it's coming.
It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when.

One day, someone is going to make a portion of the UB into a major Hollywood blockbuster movie, or HBO series, or something akin to that which is produced for the entertainment of the mass populace. I suspect that, more than likely, it will be the either about the Lucifer Rebellion, or it will be the UB's Part 4 - including the preamble where our Michael hands over authority to prepare for the final bestowal mission - because those are the two most dramatic and likely to get an audience to go "Oh no they didn't!" and head to the theatres, or turn on the toob, in droves to watch it. Regardless of which story from the UB exactly is told, or even how wonderfully or terrible its handled, the simple point of this thread is just to bring up the possibility and simply say:

Be ready.

I've repeatedly witnessed how Hollywood can twist even the best of stories into something that's the exact opposite of what the source material actually was about. I mean beyond evoking the old trope "The book is better!" (and in this case, wow, will that ever be accurate, to me, no matter what the production value of the show is). Instead, I mean that, for the sake of making money at the box office or with pay-per-view / subscription fees, they will turn it upside down, spin it about, and show it in what almost amounts to a distorted image in a funhouse mirror. And the impression will be left, as wrong as it may be, that anyone who talks about Nebadon or Jesus having been the incarnation of a Michael Son, or Lucifer as (shocked gasp!) a son of Michael (which will be handled, no doubt, as if he is a son of Jesus)!! will be seen in the exact same category as those people who run around saying their religion is Jedi, or anyone who tries to have a conversation about reality using the word matrix is seen as piteously trying to be Neo. Just as the movie 2012 almost totally overcame nearly 20 years of positive and inspirational talk, turning it into yet another supposed doom and gloom apocalypse end-of-the-world date, I can see such a movie based upon the UB turning it into something decidedly other than what the book is about.

Sure - the positive opportunity will be that we can evangelize the book to some degree. I have no doubt that more people will get a copy of the book, and check it out, than ever before. But I see such an avalanche into the readership like that as being as good as, well, an avalanche under any other circumstances.

So I'm bringing this topic up for consideration by the readership well in advance before it actually happens - to prepare, even if only personally, for what it will bring.

When the story it tells eventually gets noticed by those with the means to turn some of it into a major popular show.

Edited by Absonite, 22 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

There is actually a movie out on the Midwayers. I forget its title but they literally use the word Midwayers and somewhat go into their nature as it is defined in TUB! Perhaps someone on the board remember's the title of the movie. Very interesting movie.

Edited by brooklyn_born, 22 January 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#3 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Found it! Movie is called "11-11-11." I thought it was interesting.

Trailer -

#4 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Naaw - I don't mean something where the UB is merely mentioned.
I mean an entire movie or show where the entire basis of the plot is taken right out of the UB.

#5 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Theres This

The Urantia Files: Fact or Fiction? ~ Series Premier Episode ~ PART 1 ONLY from Mystic Scribes Productions on Vimeo.

http://www.mysticscr...v/episodes.html

Click ON The Above Link To View IT .

So Far IT Seems Pretty Good !

Narration By Pato Banton

Art Graphics By Gary Tonge

Debuting Worldwide in January 2013

What Are Your Thoughts About IT So Far ?

Im Interested and Curious About Your Opinions

Your Review and Comments

Edited by Coop, 23 January 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#6 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

And This

A FEAST OF UNCERTAINTY

http://urantiafilm.com/index.html

About The Film
Filmmaker Richard Jernigan explores the Urantia Book’s version of the life and teachings of Jesus against the backdrop of modern day Israel and the Palestinian territories. Both meditative and informative, A FEAST OF UNCERTAINTY goes where Jesus lived and taught as described in the Urantia Book. Jerusalem, Nazareth, the Sea of Galilee, and other key sites are revealed with a fresh eye and sympathic regard for the people living amidst 4000-plus years of history and ever-present random violence. The film is narrated with text from the Urantia Book, bringing to life the book’s profound, universal viewpoint on the life and teachings of Jesus, teachings that step beyond Christianity, for all humanity.

The Title
Several quotes from The Urantia Book inspired the title:

"But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: 'In liaison with God, nothing — absolutely nothing — is impossible.'" (291.3) 26:5.3

"Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure — uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of the unfolding Paradise ascent; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe; security as an ascending son in the universe mansions of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father." (1223.3) 111:7.1

"In the more advanced planetary ages these seraphim enhance man’s appreciation of the truth that uncertainty is the secret of contented continuity. They help the mortal philosophers to realize that, when ignorance is essential to success, it would be a colossal blunder for the creature to know the future. They heighten man’s taste for the sweetness of uncertainty, for the romance and charm of the indefinite and unknown future." (438.2) 39:5.9

Edited by Coop, 23 January 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#7 Raymond

Raymond

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Golf, Cooking.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Dear COOP -oh my! No longer shielded! Had to happen - just thought maybe not in my lifetime. It must be firmly rooted worldwide for this to have happened now. Ready or not - here it comes. Upon reflection, seems fine - perhaps it is the balm the world needs to ease its current wounds. I hope that multitudes of teachers come forward to aid in the understanding of this restated gospel of Jesus Christ. Would be nice that some or many of the respected world religious leaders become allies. Just shocked it hit the media. Anxious to see the repercussions. Thanks - Raymond

P.S. Can the administrators of the forum handle the anticipated increased volume?

#8 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Well I sure hope that the u.b gets world wide attention soon, or else there will be war and world wide disaster. The u.b is an emergency revelation. I have often thought that the discovery of Eden would get the U.B national attention. (I am aware of Sarmasts work on this subject)

Edited by -Scott-, 23 January 2013 - 10:44 AM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#9 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Whoever undertakes to create a motion picture about any subject from the Urantia Book would be required to read it.
There is no telling what might happen to your typical Hollywood deviant should this happen.
We may see movies more about personal enlightenment and discovery, learning about right and wrong, developing morality and spiritual awareness - even God consciousness before taking on specific topics.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#10 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

There's a huge difference to me when it comes to a documentary explicitly teaching about the UB (or accurately presenting teachings directly from the UB) and a movie/show based upon a story from the UB.

I don't mean anything like what we have seen inundating Youtube lately regarding UB teachings.
No sort of brief little blurbs and burbs here, or interviews on Coast to Coast and other theologically minded shows.

I'm talking about a full scale, fully funded, blockbuster style mega Hollywood affair, or something like what we've seen recently done on HBO when it comes to the quality of their dramatic series.

#11 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I can't see any movie based on the u.b happening on a large-scale. I mean look at how hard it is to get a bible movie out these days, people get so offended by just a regular story in the bible I can't see a movie based on the urantia book for a long time. Etleast not until it becomes a book that people are reading. I would like to see an animated film on some u.b stories though, I think it would be much easier to stick to the urantia books content in animation and it could be funded by the foundation. Also they could release the animated film on youtube and get millions of views. Obviously it won't generate the buzz a holleywood movie would and it wouldn't make a profit, but it is something that I think is attainable. Animation allows more creative freedom. You can get the viewer to buy into concepts much easier without having to fill in all the small details a motion movie has to do in order to make the story believable.

Another issue is that secularism has taken up a militant attitude, it would be almost impossible to get something mainstream with god in it.

More recently, secularism has assumed a more militant attitude, assuming to take the place of the religion

Edited by -Scott-, 23 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#12 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

The Bible just doesn't have the info, or the cosmic context, that the UB had when it comes to the Rebellion.

#13 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yea it would be a sweet movie I agree especially with all the missing parts of the bible. Maybe if there was a urantia book comic they would haha. Hollywood seems to love adapting comics these days. I just cannot see any studio risking the public back fire they would get it they made a urantia movie. Maybe one day though.

Edited by -Scott-, 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#14 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

@Coop

That documentary series looks interesting so far.
And I must admit that right now I am somewhat wary about it.

I am not really fond of the title "Urantia Files" - sounds too much like it's trying to be an "X files" spoof. I would have preferred them to call it straight up The Urantia Book - as well as leaving off that subtitle Fact or Ficton? And perhaps that is why I am wary here. I want them to explore it on the deeper level of exploring how (and which) teachings of the UB expand people's perspectives and inspire us to enrich our lives based upon it. I don't want to get into any kerfuffle about whether or not it's fact or fiction. That misses the essential point to me.

I have to see where they go with this.

#15 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

The Urantia Book is not going to "save the world" or prevent catastrophic warfare- YOU ARE!

Time to "step up" and do something with what you have learned...
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#16 mm_wiggins

mm_wiggins

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

If I had the skills, I would start with Paper 119 then proceed with Part IV. It is about time that the "story" of Jesus was told in amore accurate manner than is usually seen by the variuos Hollywood presentation. Also, it may perhaps re-energize the Christians so that may more fully understand what the gospels were trying to reveal about Christ Michael

#17 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Scott says above: " The u.b is an emergency revelation."

Me: I heartily disagree my brother. The Revelation is clear on this one.....we are ready for the Revelation as much as we need it for "further" progress. I know it warns of cultural decline due to misplaced priorities - both personal and social. It is hard to see the horizon when in the aligator pit so I understand your point, but........

(2082.6) 195:9.1 Do not overlook the value of your spiritual heritage, the river of truth running down through the centuries, even to the barren times of a materialistic and secular age. In all your worthy efforts to rid yourselves of the superstitious creeds of past ages, make sure that you hold fast the eternal truth. But be patient! when the present superstition revolt is over, the truths of Jesus’ gospel will persist gloriously to illuminate a new and better way.

(2082.7) 195:9.2 But paganized and socialized Christianity stands in need of new contact with the uncompromised teachings of Jesus; it languishes for lack of a new vision of the Master’s life on earth. A new and fuller revelation of the religion of Jesus is destined to conquer an empire of materialistic secularism and to overthrow a world sway of mechanistic naturalism. Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment.

(2082.8) 195:9.3 The teachings of Jesus, even though greatly modified, survived the mystery cults of their birthtime, the ignorance and superstition of the dark ages, and are even now slowly triumphing over the materialism, mechanism, and secularism of the twentieth century. And such times of great testing and threatened defeat are always times of great revelation.

(2082.9) 195:9.4 Religion does need new leaders, spiritual men and women who will dare to depend solely on Jesus and his incomparable teachings. If Christianity persists in neglecting its spiritual mission while it continues to busy itself with social and material problems, the spiritual renaissance must await the coming of these new teachers of Jesus’ religion who will be exclusively devoted to the spiritual regeneration of men. And then will these spirit-born souls quickly supply the leadership and inspiration requisite for the social, moral, economic, and political reorganization of the world.

Greetings MM....agree completely.
Peace be upon you."

#18 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

@Van what do you think about the quote in the u.b about world-wide destruction? I agree its up to us to make this change, its up to us to show a living example of Jesus. But the authors point blank tell us that our current model of society "Secular Totalitarianism" is only going to lead to war and world-wide destruction. You don't think that the authors took this into consideration? If you look at all of things that led to Romes destruction we have all of those in play right now in our society. There is no doubt in my mind the authors timed this urantia book in a way to help us avoid some serious damage. So it is up to us to be leaders when that time comes. I am sure there will be opportunities one day for readers to be those living examples that help lead our society out of stormy waters. Though even if there is world-wide destruction, its not like the u.b is going any where and its not like Jesus will still not triumph. But I think the authors of the u.b tried to help us avoid that situation by giving us this book at this time.

#19 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yes Scott, we do not disagree on this or not much anyway. For me, it is important that I act confidently in all the agents and agencies of progress Father provides and to acknowledge how many crisis have already been either averted, dimminished, or overcome already....this ain't their first rodeo!! But it is ours....obviously. While optimistic, I'm not of the mind that all is clear sailing from here. But let me point out that you are making a common error....you are projecting North America's culture and social priorities to the entire globe of all peoples (we are hardly 10% of the total). And you are doing so from that perspective of the 10% as well - both of which is common but neither perspective is logical or correct. Even total objectivity by a mortal mind is not truly objective from a planetary or universal point of view.

I don't know that you are wrong....but I'm certain you are not right - if you know what I mean? I feel the same way about my own opinion and point of view on this topic. Sister Bonita and I have shared this half full/half empty discussion here with you and others already. When a glass is half full is it not also half empty? The two perspectives share the same truth. I am no defender of our culture nor do I deny the plain warnings we have received. But America's demise, if that should happen, is hardly the end of the planet or its progress....indeed, it may come to be the example of avoidance to come, eh? I agree with you that the Revelation was delivered in a timely manner and perhaps even in a "just in time" manner. I don't know. But mostly I believe, in either case, that Brother Bill says well above:

The Urantia Book is not going to "save the world" or prevent catastrophic warfare- YOU ARE!

Time to "step up" and do something with what you have learned...

:ph34r: Ninja Truthseekers "step up" and do something.....even if we error in strategy or tactic, a pure heart in God's hands can do anything at all!!
Peace be upon you."

#20 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

It is sad to say that so many Westerners consider media and cinematic productions to be reality and real life to be fiction. Even reality TV is an imitation, if you actually analyze it. Life is imitating art, which is completely backward. We've reached a point in our civilization where group-think is more powerful than individual thought. Therefore, whatever is eventually produced will definitely have an effect on mass mentality. What that effect might be, however, is open to debate. The danger in producing a movie or series would be the current proclivity to twist truth to suit group-think which is exactly what Paul did, and why Abner called him the, "clever corrupter of the life teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of the living God."(166:5.5) Viewer beware!

48:7.23 21. The high mission of any art is, by its illusions, to foreshadow a higher universe reality, to crystallize the emotions of time into the thought of eternity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users