2074.3) 195:3.8 The spiritual impetus of nominally accepting Hellenized Christianity came to Rome too late to prevent the well-started moral decline or to compensate for the already well-established and increasing racial deterioration. This new religion was a cultural necessity for imperial Rome, and it is exceedingly unfortunate that it did not become a means of spiritual salvation in a larger sense.
(2074.4) 195:3.9 Even a good religion could not save a great empire from the sure results of lack of individual participation in the affairs of government, from overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade with the Levant which drained away the gold, amusement madness, Roman standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, physical plagues, and a state church which became institutionalized nearly to the point of spiritual barrenness.
I will make my own checklist- Note the following is just my opinion. I am not stating it as fact.
1. Amusement madness -If that is not reality television I don't know what is more "amusement madness" than that haha. Do you guys think that our societies obsession with sports could be considered "amusment madness". I would definitely consider our societies obsession with famous people "amusement madness".
2. Degradation of women- I think that is still alive and well.
3. Slavery-?? hmm not sure, I don't think so but some peoples jobs sure look like slavery.
4. Race decadence- Yes
5. Physical plagues- Not as bad as it used to be
6. Standardization- This one is interesting. Something we as a society don't often consider evil. But when you really think about how it handcuffs freedom I could see how this is made the list
7. Unbalanced trade- Obviously yes
8. Paternalism- Yes
9. State Church which has become so institutionalized to the point of spiritual bareness- Yes
10. Lack of individual participation in the affairs of government- What happened to "change"? Hahaha Definitely a lack of individual participation.
11. Overtaxation- You bet, I live in Canada so I have to say yes. Though I don't mind paying for universal health-care and schools in all communities haha.
Also have to remember a few issues from the preceeding paper 12. Secular Totalitarianism- Yes
13. Materialism- Yes
14. A belief in magic- Yes
15. An unwillingness to raise our own children- Yes
16. Family life in trouble- Yes
17. True Monogomy- Wait what?! Haha
18. Delusions of the divine right of national sovereignty- Yes
195.4.4 And this same Christianity is now present in the civilized world of Occidental peoples and stands face to face with a struggle for existence which is even more ominous than those eventful crises which have characterized its past battles for dominance.
Edited by -Scott-, 11 January 2013 - 10:08 PM.