• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Ok - I need to get a new hard copy of the UB.
It's way past time.

I want to get a leather bound edition.

Can someone tell me the exact difference between the leather covers of the Foundation's version compared to the Fellowship's?

Edited by Absonite, 21 December 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#2 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#3 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

The difference is that Urantia Foundation is the Original Publisher.

#4 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

No, no - I'm asking about the physical difference of the book's leather cover here.

This is about pure physical aestheitcs.

Is one a flexible leather cover and the other that hard leather stuff?

#5 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Buy one of each.....you can never have too many !! Love my new Blue leather from the Foundation....it's very flexible. :rolleyes:
Peace be upon you."

#6 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Ok, that is good to know!

I want a flexible version this time. My current one is one of those really old gigantic hard cover big ones put out years ago, and it is falling apart. Seriously. Binding and pages are being held together with duct tape, and there are so many smudges and coffee rings and "food" fingerprints made from handling it over the years while eating something that it's a mess.

So the Foundation one is a flexible leather cover.

Does anyone know about the Fellowship leather edition?
Is it flexible as well, or a hard leather cover?

I might indeed just have to get a copy of both, and then if I find I don't like one, I can give away the other.

Edited by Absonite, 21 December 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#7 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Ok - I was just informed that I will be receiving a copy of both leatherbound editions for Christmas from a dear friend!

When I receive them, I will post pictures here of each of them so that others who are curious about how they actually look (and how handling them seems to me) in this thread.

Hopefully doing this will assist others who have been wondering about this aesthetic issue with making a choice!

#8 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Since I saw the advertisement video posted here, I've been thinking about getting me one of the copies in the video. I want the one with two columns to give it a Bible feel.

#9 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

The Fellowship began printing the "two-column" edition many years ago, when Urantia Foundation still held the U.S. Copyright. Menbers and Officers of The Fellowship actively supported the challenge to Urantia Foundation's right to copyright and were successful in Federal District Court and, again, in U.S. Appellate Court. It has not been heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

It is for this reason I prefer the Original Publisher.

Fellowship editions have different pagination than the original which causes difficulty in study groups. Even though The Fellowship collaborated with Urantia Foundation in the recent printing of the "Standard" edition, they still persist in printing selling and competing with the original publisher which I find problematic.

#10 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Fellowship began printing the "two-column" edition many years ago, when Urantia Foundation still held the U.S. Copyright. Menbers and Officers of The Fellowship actively supported the challenge to Urantia Foundation's right to copyright and were successful in Federal District Court and, again, in U.S. Appellate Court. It has not been heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

It is for this reason I prefer the Original Publisher.

Fellowship editions have different pagination than the original which causes difficulty in study groups. Even though The Fellowship collaborated with Urantia Foundation in the recent printing of the "Standard" edition, they still persist in printing selling and competing with the original publisher which I find problematic.

Honestly, I am totally oblivious to the history of organizations involved in the printing of the book. I just learned that there are two competing publishing companies of TUB! I guess I just bought two copies of the two-column print from the Fellowship. But to be fair, I'd like to support you guys as it was really the Foundation that I first linked with when I decided to give TUB a chance. Does the Foundation print a 2-column style print? Do you have a link where I can order a copy of TUB from the Foundation?

BB

#11 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Never mind, I see the advert you posted at the top of the thread. Is that leather-bound two column style? The cover is attractive.

#12 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I clicked on the photo but it is not taking me to a website. Do you have a link, Bill?

Edited by brooklyn_born, 22 December 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#13 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Based upon what I have heard from other readers, the Fellowship edition is the only recent one with the dual column format.

I am looking forward to seeing how that is to read. I am used to the chuck big paragraph version from the Foundation.

This will be interesting...

I am excited to get a new printing with pages that don't stick together from old blueberry jam lolz!

#14 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well, I got my new leather bound editions of the Urantia Book tonight!!!
I cannot seem to figure out how to post pictures of them here - so I will just offer my basic review for them right now.

The Foundation's UB has a very "denim and flannel" feel to me. The leather is simultaneously sturdy, favorably flexible, and a rich blue. The stitching around the edge and across the front and back (differentiating the entire covering into 3 sections) is white. The title, concentric circles, book mark, and the gilding along the pages' open edge is a bold yellow-gold. The format of the text is the classic chunky big paragraphs (of which I am very familiar). The font is agreeable to the eyes. The spine is well woven (not glue). Overall, this edition from the Foundation feels like the UB that I can tote around with my jeans, flannel, baseball cap, toss in the truck and read while on the go. The overall vibe is undeniably rough and rugged.

The Fellowship's UB has a very "classy and refined" feel to me - and that does NOT mean that it's delicate and fragile. The leather is of a higher quality than the Foundation's edition, and a deep, earthy burgundy. The book mark is burgundy as well. The title is only on the spine, not on the cover - nothing is on either the cover or the back - and the gold of the title, as well as the gilding along the pages' open edge, is a slightly subtler gold than the Foundation's (there is a bit less yellow in it). The format of the text is dual columns that I must admit is rather startling on the eyes with this familiar text - and because of that, this format does indeed make the reading process actually feel different to me! I cannot say yet whether this is a good change or a not-so-good change for me. I can say that it is agreeable enough for me to be intrigued by the change, instead of evoking an immediate urge not to read it, so that's positive. The spine is well woven (not glue). And this edition is slightly bigger over all - and thicker - than the Foundation's edition. That thickness is due to the inclusion of a very interesting topical index at the back! That I did not expect at all. Overall, this edition from the Fellowship feels like the UB that I would read while enjoying my morning mug of coffee, bring to special occasions, and use more for study when away from the computer due to that index. Where the vibe of the Foundation's edition seems to me like an informal UB that will endure an everyday reading-beating on the go, the Fellowship's edition seems to me like a formal UB that is meant to endure like those family legacy leather Bibles printed way back when.

Both are generally good to me.

When I can figure out exactly how to upload pictures in posts, then I will post them here.

Edited by Absonite, 24 December 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#15 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Congrats! Cool way to enjoy Xmas morning. I am jealous!!! :D I look forward to seeing yours! You can go to this website upload your picture file there and hyperlink to it from the board:

http://imageshack.us/

You have to create an account, which is free and takes no more than a min.

My Fellowship edition won't arrive until after Xmas week :(

Where did you order the Foundation edition? I'd like to purchase one from them too.

BB

Well, I got my new leather bound editions of the Urantia Book tonight!!!
I cannot seem to figure out how to post pictures of them here - so I will just offer my basic review for them right now.

The Foundation's UB has a very "denim and flannel" feel to me. The leather is simultaneously sturdy, favorably flexible, and a rich blue. The stitching around the edge and across the front and back (differentiating the entire covering into 3 sections) is white. The title, concentric circles, book mark, and the gilding along the pages' open edge is a bold yellow-gold. The format of the text is the classic chunky big paragraphs (of which I am very familiar). The font is agreeable to the eyes. The spine is well woven (not glue). Overall, this edition from the Foundation feels like the UB that I can tote around with my jeans, flannel, baseball cap, toss in the truck and read while on the go. The overall vibe is undeniably rough and rugged.

The Fellowship's UB has a very "classy and refined" feel to me - and that does NOT mean that it's delicate and fragile. The leather is of a higher quality than the Foundation's edition, and a deep, earthy burgundy. The book mark is burgundy as well. The title is only on the spine, not on the cover - nothing is on either the cover or the back - and the gold of the title, as well as the gilding along the pages' open edge, is a slightly subtler gold than the Foundation's (there is a bit less yellow in it). The format of the text is dual columns that I must admit is rather startling on the eyes with this familiar text - and because of that, this format does indeed make the reading process actually feel different to me! I cannot say yet whether this is a good change or a not-so-good change for me. I can say that it is agreeable enough for me to be intrigued by the change, instead of evoking an immediate urge not to read it, so that's positive. The spine is well woven (not glue). And this edition is slightly bigger over all - and thicker - than the Foundation's edition. That thickness is due to the inclusion of a very interesting topical index at the back! That I did not expect at all. Overall, this edition from the Fellowship feels like the UB that I would read while enjoying my morning mug of coffee, bring to special occasions, and use more for study when away from the computer due to that index. Where the vibe of the Foundation's edition seems to me like an informal UB that will endure an everyday reading-beating on the go, the Fellowship's edition seems to me like a formal UB that is meant to endure like those family legacy leather Bibles printed way back when.

Both are generally good to me.

When I can figure out exactly how to upload pictures in posts, then I will post them here.

Edited by brooklyn_born, 25 December 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#16 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly how to go about ordering both, because I received them as presents last night.
However, I will ask my friend today and when I get that exact information I will post it here if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I was planning on keeping one of these UBs and giving the other away - but I truly like both of them for different reasons, and can see equally using them both (albeit under different circumstances). So, since I did not have to go out and buy them myself, I will use the money I otherwise would have spent on them to purchase a couple of UBs and give them as gifts to others. I know an old friend myself who would enjoy having a new UB after all these years, and I know another person with whom I have been talking a lot about spirituality ala the UB universe frame who is just about ripe for some old fashioned ministry out-reach by putting book in hand.

I cannot stress enough that both editions are beautiful, each in their respective way. Both are solid, and well put together for the differing grades and kinds of materials they use - and because of that, neither one ends up seeming ornamental nor cheap compared to the other. These leather editions have been clearly designed to be read, and read often.

And that's very good, because without any doubt I am going to put their durability to the ultimate test!

Edited by Absonite, 25 December 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#17 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I ordered two soft-cover Fellowship edition Ubooks. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to see them. I wasn't in a rush to have them sent asap. My next TUB will be the leather bound one put out by the Foundation (once you get that info and post it up). The leather bound will be my book-shelf and conversation piece.

#18 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

My copies came in this morning, to my surprise. I was not expecting them until after the holiday week - my luck, heh! :P I must say, I am very pleased with this dual column format. There is a different feel to its reading. Right now, I am just admiring the bad boy. I'm silly, lmao!

BB

#19 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I am forver in debt to the early, blue, soft-cover carry size edition of TUB. It opened the door to put me back on the path of enlightenment. Now, I must tread between the two columns/pillars, Boaz and Jachin (inside Mason joke :D ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users